2.38/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

730 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Bank of America sold my loan to Carrington Mortgage Services 3 months ago, Carrington proceeded to immediately raise my monthly payment to cover an "Carrington Escrow Minimum Balance Requirement". I called to find out why as my escrow balance ALWAYS has enough money in it to cover all escrow costs. The representative states they require a minimum balance of 2 month cushion. In my case that is minimum cushion balance of $1,100; additional to my regular escrow payments. Their agent told me the escrow department is not a bank and can charge whatever minimum balance amount they want for escrow. What a nightmare! Completely ridiculous, I consider that to be stealing - they aren’t paying me any interest for any escrow balance - but expect their customers to keep a minimum balance.

I have written in to cancel the escrow portion multiple times, Carrington has not acknowledged my request, when I called to complain and follow up, their reps state - there is no escrow department service via phone - I must write a letter via regular mail or fax a written request. I tell them, "I have mailed in my requests" - Carrington refuses to acknowledge my requests! This is a nightmare! Bank of America will not help in this matter, because they had the right to sell my loan, and are not responsible for anything the new lender (that BoA forced on me) that Carrington Mortgage Services does.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Like many others, my loan was transferred to Carrington from Bank of America in September. I have an excellent credit score and have never been late on a payment. Instead, I am on track to pay off my 30-year mortgage in 15 years. In other words, I am not profitable to the bank. Right before my mortgage was transferred, I made an additional payment to principal to Bank of America. If I had been given any warning that my loan was being sold, I would have waited.

Bank of America would apply my extra payments as monthly prepayments until the 1st of the month, then they would apply anything over the monthly payment to the principal. Carrington chose to keep my additional payment as a monthly prepay. I decided to make another additional payment to the principal in December. I called Carrington's customer service (service is a an oxymoron here) to ask them how to make a payment to principal. I made it very clear that I was not interested in a monthly prepayment; I wanted to pay down the principal. Their representative walked me through the process to make an additional payment on the website. I was hesitant, because there was no comment box to indicate that I wanted the payment to go to principal but the rep assured me that it would be automatically be applied to principal if I chose the "other amount" option.

December 1 rolled around, and Carrington (surprise!) applied my payment as a monthly prepayment instead of additional to principal. I called customer "service" again, and they told me that they would back it out for me and apply it to principal. They did not, so I opened a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaint. I also asked the rep how to avoid this problem in the future. She told me that the only way to be sure was to call and make the payment over the phone - an option that Carrington charges an outrageous $20 fee for doing. I told her that was unacceptable. She then told me to send a check. I pointed out all the reviews on this site and others that stated Carrington applied extra checks clearly labelled "principal" as monthly prepayments. She had not response.

Carrington's objective here is pretty clear. When you call customer service, you get treated to a recorded message about how they are a debt collector, anything you say can and will be used against you, blah, blah, blah. Did I mention that my account is on pace to be paid 15 years ahead??? Mortgages get sold to Carrington because they are unprofitable, and it is Carrington's job to make it profitable by collecting outrageous fees and making it impossible for you to make extra payments. I cannot understand how they get away with this. They would not be in business if consumers had a choice of mortgage servicers.

Get expert buying tips about Harp Loan and Loan Modification Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My mortgage loan was sold to them by BOA in September. The first two months went fine. Then November came. First they sent me a late notice on the 10th of the month because my payment wasn’t made by the 1st. I have over 25 years in the financial industry and every bank I’ve worked for or had a loan with your payment is not late until after the 15th. Then I got my statement on 11/26 for my Dec 1st payment and my monthly payment significantly increased. When I called the customer service rep was totally rude and didn’t give a crap about what I was saying. I was told that it was because my escrow account was short for my property taxes because they had increased.

First my property tax bill for this year hasn’t been sent to anyone yet and the figure he gave me was what was paid in 2017 which was almost exactly the same as 2016. Yes my escrow account was going to be short by about $50 because something else increased in this year. In my past 30 years of experience that is what an escrow analysis is done for after the first of the year and then your payment gets adjusted and you pay your shortage. My new payment amount has me paying almost $1,000 over what I need in my escrow account not to mention I never received any notification that my payment was going up.

I was told they ran an escrow analysis after the loan was transferred to them. I told them I never received it and the wonderful customer service rep told me they didn’t have any control over the mail. He didn’t even offer to sent me a different one. I was also told that they are required to keep a two month cushion in the escrow account at all times. And I’ve never heard of a financial institution changing payments in December. So apparently now it’s legal for a company just to keep your money. I have never had horrible of a customer service experience. I highly discourage anyone from doing business with this company. I had to give them a one star rating here. I feel that is too high.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I have been with Bank of America for 12 years. These people ran a short escrow and made my payments go up and they want a 2 month cushion. They are full of crap and I'm reporting them to the state of Texas for fraud! Their call agents are rude and clueless. They keep saying they are not a bank and don't follow bank rules. I pray they sell my account. What a nightmare!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Like many other reviewers, my Bank of America mortgage was sold to Carrington in September 2018 (I'm not really sure why since my house is worth much more than the mortgage and I have an excellent credit rating). In August, I was fortunate enough to get a new flood insurance rating, saving over $2100 a year, which makes for a significant savings in my monthly escrow. However, it is now November and Carrington still has not adjusted my escrow. I have told it should happen in December and if the difference is over $50 I will get a refund in 15 to 30 days after the change has been made (the difference will be several hundred dollars after over-paying for three months). Customer service regarding this issue has been beyond frustrating.

The Carrington customer service people I speak to don't seem to be able to answer my questions, and I feel like I get the "runaround." In addition, paying my mortgage each month has become a headache. In order to pay online, I have to pay a $5 "convenience fee." Seriously, I have to spend money to give them my money? I have been calling to pay each month to avoid the fee. It just irritates me that I have to pay a fee to pay my mortgage. For anyone looking for a mortgage company to purchase a home, steer clear of Carrington. Of course, even if you don't go with Carrington, you might end up with them anyway when your lender sells your mortgage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

BoA sold my mortgage to Carrington 2 months ago. I never received notice from Carrington about my account #, like I was supposed to. When I called they wouldn't even apologize, the guy didn't even care. Acted liked it was my fault. Now I go to pay my bill only to find they charge you a "convenience fee" to make payments...that's right, they charge you MORE money to give them money.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have purchased two homes through Carrington mortgage in the last two years and I have nothing but good things to say about my loan officer Meghan and both the processors I worked with in each transaction. The process was smooth and I closed on both homes in less than 30 days and have been serviced by Carrington Mortgage as well and had no issues thus far. Thank you Carrington Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My mortgage was transferred to Carrington from Bank of America with no notification. They sent me a letter in the mail a month later after I tried to contact them numerous times. They charge convenience fees for every function. It seems criminal. Their website and automated function don't operate at all. It seems like they want problems. I just want to make a payment. It shouldn't be this difficult. We (their forced consumers) should file a class action lawsuit to straighten this out. This is unacceptable!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I would not recommend this company to anyone! BoA sold our mortgage to Carrington in September 2018, most likely because the property is worth less than the mortgage. Since then, we've had nothing but issues. We never received any correspondence from Carrington with an account number or their so-called welcome packet. I called them in September to get my new account number so I could make a payment. They told me that they were still transferring all the information and my info/new acct number hadn't yet been set up in their system. I was advised I would receive a letter in the mail once the account was established, and when I asked about the September payment, they advised me that it would not be considered or reported late.

I had to call in October because I still hadn't received anything. Finally, they provided me with an account number, but I chose not to pay over the phone or online because of their $5 fee. I mailed them a check for September and October payments and they cashed it. Now today, they had someone go out to my property trying to give my tenants an envelope addressed to me. At 8 o'clock on a SATURDAY MORNING! Not only that, but this individual was also asking the tenant for my address and phone number... that Carrington already had on file (I gave it to them earlier this month when I called them to get my account number)! I'd already called Carrington after they cashed the check for the payments to make sure they didn't need anything else, and the rep assured me that they did not. Now to have them visiting my property and essentially harassing my tenants is unacceptable. I am anxious for Monday so that I can call my lawyer about this situation.

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR... READ THE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE. You'll be able to tell which reviews come from people who've actually dealt with this company versus the ones that seem fake. If you aren't so fortunate and are forced to deal with them, be sure to document EVERYTHING, including phone calls, get the names of the representatives you talk to, and consult with your lawyer. This place is unprofessional and just bad business all around.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

On August 2, 2018 I was reach out by a representative from Carrington Mortgage named David **. On that day I submitted all the paperwork he would need to get this loan started. About 7 to 10 days later I received an email from Dave saying I was pre-approved for a mortgage and he would order a home appraisal which was a nightmare done by a man name Steven **. The report came back with a few minor things which were easily repaired. After that nightmare was resolved I waited to find out when the paperwork would be ready to sign another 7 to 2 weeks went by and no contact from anybody. By now it's labor day that Tuesday I called to see how things were going they told me that Dave had quit a week ago and I had a new loan processor Douglas Earl ** who had no clue what he was doing.

By now we are well into mid-October enter Joe **. He promised he would make this loan happen. Just needed a few more pieces of paperwork. Today 10/26/2018 Joe could not make the loan happen. If it was done properly and at normal amount of time the loan would have gone through. I make out my credit cards thinking this loan is coming to get some work done around the outside of my house. Now Joe tells me something different. They say their goal is 100% satisfaction. I would give them 10% satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

If your mortgage was sold and now serviced by Carrington you need to understand it's their job to flip these loans either by forcing you to refinance, pay off or foreclose for as little as a 3% profit. After 22 years mine was sold to them too, I did a little research. Your mortgage was bundled and sold with what Wall Street considers nonperforming loans, either you are behind on payments, you have a low credit score or your loan balance is more than the house is worth. Once Wall Street groups buy your mortgage it's assigned to trustees who in turn hire Carrington to make sure that flip happens. This is their true purpose so they don't really care if your loan gets handled correctly.

You need to make sure that you adhere to the terms and conditions in your contract, then you need to create as much of a proven history with your dealing with them as possible, make copies of everything and create as much proof as you can in every single dealing you have with them. If it's something as simple as a fax you need to pay to fax it so you can get a receipt and a printed transmission verification report, this is all that will save you in court, you have to protect your own self and that start by collecting proof and evidence. I was not behind on my mortgage. I simply had a low credit score due to it being the only thing on my credit, we had no other debt and pay cash for everything, they got my loan in May of 2017 and they kept telling me not to make a payment. They didn't have me in their system yet.

I finally told them I had a 10 day grace period on my payment that was about to expire, I made my payment anyway (in keeping with my contract) by Western Union, they not only denied receiving my payment it took getting Western Union involved to get them to acknowledge it and they still didn't credit my May, June, or July payments until August all while sending me foreclosure notices, something I'd never received in 22 years.

Skip to May of 2018 exactly a year and they didn't credit the payment they received electronically from my bank on the 15th (my payment is due on the 20th). I faxed them a detailed report the bank printed out that contained all the transaction codes and a letter from the bank stating they did in fact get my payment on the 15th, I had to do that 7 times after which they sent me an unsigned letter asking for a copy of my bank statement which they did not need (they are fishing to see how much money you have which didn't work with me because after my research I talked with a lawyer who advised we set up an account for nothing but paying our house payment). I had to fax them a copy of my bank statement along with the original faxes an additional 3 times before they credited my payment and they still didn't credit it for the right date, they listed the payment received on the date they finally decided to credit it not the day they received it.

I made my payment on the 5th of this month and it has not been credited yet either and I bet you're wondering if I can prove anything I'm saying, you bet I can, everything from a copy of my credit report that shows nothing on it but my house which was in good standing with no late payments to a receipt and transmission verification report for every fax I sent them.

At this point I'm building proven paper fact evidence against them that they have a history of not crediting my payments, that's why I tell you all to get as many forms of proof that you can and it's best if you make your payments through something like online banking instead of directly through them because it creates evidence that can be corroborated by a third party. There are many state and federal resources I have not seen mentioned in any statement here that people must not be aware of but if they keep playing games with me I'm going to start a website with a list of all of them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

BFA sold my mortgage to them last months. Have been with BFA for 10 years. Why? Carrington Charging fees for everything: Paying mortgage online, over the phone or via automated Pay-by-Phone system. I think 5 star reviews above are fake.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My mortgage was sold to Carrington in September 2018 and I register to pay my mortgage online. Guess what? They have a Convenient FEE of $5.00. In 28 years, that's a total of $1680.00 and for what? They want you to go paperless. Isn't this the whole thing, to eliminate paper, so the costs are lower? I never heard about a Convenient FEE! I don't like them!!! I hate them!!! The customer service suck too!!! "Is nothing I can do about it... blah, blah, blah. If you don't like us, you can refinance". Why? I have a very low interest rate.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

My mortgage was sold to Carrington in September 2018 and this has been the most unprofessional and horrible experience ever. The representatives have been rude and threatening. Someone showed up at my home with a letter in a handwritten envelope and gave to the person at my house. It was not sealed and had my personal information in it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I was working with Justin from Carrington for about 2 months, all my paperwork had been submitted, and according to him, approved. I received 2 preapproval letters that corresponded with the properties I was looking at. I am under the belief that as soon as I find a house I like, everything would go smooth. Justin called and stated that they are looking at my student loans, which are not in default/nor have bad reporting on my credit, the balance is high but in good standing. I informed him in the beginning that I had this loan and that was the only outstanding debt I had, which he should have seen when he pulled my information in the beginning. After he stated they were reviewing this, I have not heard from him since, no phone calls, no emails, which was not surprising because his communication was awful throughout all this.

I should have taken the advice of my agent who told me that they had a bad reputation. I actually lost a house because the seller's agent went with another company who she had worked with prior to, and also worked with Carrington who she had a terrible experience with. This company should be reviewed by the feds/state to look over their practices, something shady is going on. No one is working during office hours, then you get a call out the clear blue on a situation that most of the time has been resolved. I went to another company the next day (Movement Mortgage), who has had great communication, day and night. Approved within days and finalized within a week or so. No headaches, no lapse in communication, everything went smooth. I close in 2 weeks.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We are a contractor who did work on a Homeowners house - Needless to say - 1 year 3 months later the mortgage company has yet to release the insurance check to pay us. We call every 2 weeks and every time they are asking for something else - We are seeking an attorney - not only are we suing the homeowner but Carrington for penalties, interest and my time. Worse company I have ever dealt with - Stay away if possible.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

As of 9/4/18, Bank of America sold our loan to Carrington. Since this process began, we had ZERO notice, someone showed up at the property, gave a stranger a letter (not even in an envelope), and was asking questions about us. We don’t even live at that address!!! The letter contained personal information including account numbers and our current physical address. As a rental property our tenants were terrified thinking we were in some kind of foreclosure, or they would be anticipating an eviction! We find all this out in the same day!

We call and get a CS rep who didn’t know anything! Had no account number, was asking us to give him our checking account number for auto draft, and was insanely rude! We are totally disappointed in Bank Of America for this bs! It is unnecessary and completely avoidable! Bank Of America has ALL of our information and it was not even conveyed to CM! They have 3rd party representatives going to the property address like we have abandoned our home! Unacceptable and we will be refinancing with a reputable bank!!! NEVER DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM OR BANK OF AMERICA AGAIN!!! 0 stars!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been on the phone for hours with Carrington Mortgage Services. They needed to send a signed document to an organization. They have, so far, sent the document for ANOTHER person. Hence, personal information is being sent and shared with those that should not get that personal information. And, still... they have NOT sent MY information as requested. I am on the phone for the fifth time. NOTE: YOUR personal information may be faxed to someone without your knowledge and permission. I have seen personal information for three people so far, including phone numbers, account numbers, names, addresses, etc. This is unacceptable. Meanwhile, I am still trying to get them to send the correct fax with MY information to the organization that requested it. Horrible service!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Carrington bought our loan from Bank of America last year. I pay my mortgage EVERY month and without missing 1 single payment since 2001 but pay when we receive our social security check every 3rd Wednesday of every month. Because I pay after the 1st when the mortgage is due, I’ve accrued late fees monthly now amounting to $2050.00 since Carrington took over. I also received a “Notice of intent to Foreclosure” with options for apply for a Loan modification, mortgage assistance, decide for short sale or Foreclose. Of course at our age, 78 and my wife 77, we applied for mortgage assistance in hopes to stay in our home.

Wrote a hardship letter and sent all the necessary information they requested with proof of our food financial issues and today we receive their response denying our mortgage assistance request and telling us our ONLY option is to “Liquidate our home” as if it were that simple to just give up and walk away from the only roof over our heads and the years we’ve invested in this home. We’ve worked so hard to keep this home. My wife and I have put a lot of love into this home to have this greedy and heartless company force us to just walk away from the only thing we own. UNREAL!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Fast process and exceptional service! I really appreciate working with this company, everyone was nice, professional and were always ready to help. I have nothing bad to say about this company, but it was absolutely one of the best experience I ever had. We're very happy to get us everything we wanted especially when we decided to refinance our house. Thank you so much Carrington Mortgage for everything!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

It was such an amazing experience for us! Everyone was always willing to help, very professional and responsive as well. The entire process was really quick and pretty much convenient. Thank you so much for the great customer service we received!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I would like to thank Carrington Mortgage for helping us with our first house purchase! I recently worked with Carrington Mortgage for a house loan and I can honestly, they're one of the best mortgage company I ever dealt with, competitive rates and easy process. I received a great level of service, everyone was so friendly, very accommodating and were always ready to help. Everything went smoothly and completed professionally. Will definitely use again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Carrington purchased my mortgage from CitiMortgage several years ago. CitiMortgage allowed us to make bimonthly payments as well as pay extra on the principle so that we could pay off the mortgage early. Carrington refused to let us do the same. I was told that they didn't have the capability. In the years that Carrington had our mortgage, even though we had a few financial difficulties, we never missed a payment (although a payment may be a day or two late due to their wonderful computer system). They also charged us fees when the mortgage was late and it was their fault (usually because their computer system was down).

When it came time to pay off the mortgage I was asked if I wanted to net the escrow. Since our escrow was only slightly more than our principle I said yes. The first payoff notice I received did not net the escrow. I was then told that I had to do it online and that I could not make the request over the phone. Why did they even bother to ask if I couldn't make the request over the phone? The payoff notice that was received after I made the request online did not net the escrow either. I was then told that I had to make the request in writing. My third attempt at a payoff notice came back with the escrow netted; however, they added on all kinds of fees. They also kept telling me that if I didn't want to pay extra interest that I could pay the fees and if they were reduced that they would send me the difference. Fat chance, I did not trust them to send me the difference.

After getting a lawyer involved, three more attempts, and a total of two months, I finally received the correct payoff notice. They stretched out the whole process as long as they possibly could so that they could squeeze every last nickel and dime out of us. We were paying off our mortgage five months early and they tried to bleed us dry because of that. If Carrington ever purchases your mortgage from another company I advise you to refinance with a reputable company so that you do not have to deal with Carrington Mortgage.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was looking for a house to purchase and found Carrington Mortgage Company through the recommendation of my brother-in-law who was a lawyer. I was very skeptical at first, but after reading a lot of reviews about them from different websites, I was finally convinced to go with them. They walked me through the documents that needed for the purchased, negotiation and refinancing process. Their communication was also impressive, they kept me updated with the progress and they were also very responsive to all the questions I had and explained everything to make sure I understand everything very clearly. My entire experience with Carrington Mortgage Service is absolutely great and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for an honest and reliable mortgage broker.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This company is a joke. Due to loss of job we fell behind on our payment. During this time we had water damage to our kitchen cabinets and had to file ins. claim. Insurance company sent the check and we contacted Carrington our the insurance claim. They stated since the mortgage was delinquent that OUR MONEY would be monitored (BS). Spoke with several CSR and they stated for the claim not to be monitored and not to have a licensed contractor. We will need to pay the past due balance. We did exactly that after verifying the loan was current. We were informed they would endorse the check and send back to us.

The day we emailed everything over and verified it was received they stated they would still be monitoring the claim and we had to have a license contractor for something we could fix on our own. They are complete liars and very rude and after checking online we notice our mortgage payments has increased with no explanation. Our kitchen still isn't fixed going on two months now. I'm so over this crooked company. Attorney general is my stop.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Working with Carrington Mortgage Service is such an amazing experience. This company did an amazing job of handling my refinance process. We recently had refinanced our house and been with them for a couple of months now. I never had any problem regarding with the communication through the entire process. Everyone was always ready to help and from start to finish, they're always been very accommodating and professional. Would gladly recommend them!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Services did an amazing job of handling my refinance process. The agents were all great and handled everything very smoothly and had no problem with them, from start to finish. Any questions I had in mind was answered very quickly and thoroughly provides information that we needed to know about refinancing. Thank you so much to each and everyone from Carrington for helping us.

Original review: July 30, 2018

BEWARE!!! This company is a rip off. My mortgage was sold to them a few years ago. I was getting emails and mail about refinancing so I decided to give it try with debt consolidation and extra cash out. I was told to pay for a appraisal which cost $495. Then an issue came up about my student loans which are in deferment. After all this it was suggested that I do a streamline refinance which does not require a appraisal and that I was basically on my own with the $495 I paid. Horrible customer service.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’ve never been here personally, BUT I have dealt with Carrington and my experience was EXCELLENT... Even better than I imagined. 2 months ago I started the home buying process with my loan officer, Justin ** and Angie ** our loan processor. Let me tell you about Justin first, he’s caring, compassionate, and was there for me every time I needed him. When I felt discouraged, he lifted my spirits and reassured me that everything would be ok, he was great with me...

Angie, was nothing less than an Angel, she was sweet and also compassionate to me and my family’s need. She was on her job like white on rice. lol. The managers here are also great, they were also on the job making sure we were taking care of. I know that they have millions of customers, but they made me feel like me and my family were the only ones that mattered at the moment, they made us feel like family at Carrington. I am FOREVER grateful for them!! Oh, P.S. We closed on our home TODAY!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

My partner and I finally decided to refinance our property and we are truly happy for having Carrington Mortgage Services to help us. They worked quickly to get us everything we needed and I am very impressed with the communication, they kept us well updated all throughout the entire process. Great experience overall! The one that I would definitely recommend!

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information