2.82/5

714 Carrington Mortgage Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

As of 9/4/18, Bank of America sold our loan to Carrington. Since this process began, we had ZERO notice, someone showed up at the property, gave a stranger a letter (not even in an envelope), and was asking questions about us. We don’t even live at that address!!! The letter contained personal information including account numbers and our current physical address. As a rental property our tenants were terrified thinking we were in some kind of foreclosure, or they would be anticipating an eviction! We find all this out in the same day!

We call and get a CS rep who didn’t know anything! Had no account number, was asking us to give him our checking account number for auto draft, and was insanely rude! We are totally disappointed in Bank Of America for this bs! It is unnecessary and completely avoidable! Bank Of America has ALL of our information and it was not even conveyed to CM! They have 3rd party representatives going to the property address like we have abandoned our home! Unacceptable and we will be refinancing with a reputable bank!!! NEVER DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM OR BANK OF AMERICA AGAIN!!! 0 stars!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been on the phone for hours with Carrington Mortgage Services. They needed to send a signed document to an organization. They have, so far, sent the document for ANOTHER person. Hence, personal information is being sent and shared with those that should not get that personal information. And, still... they have NOT sent MY information as requested. I am on the phone for the fifth time. NOTE: YOUR personal information may be faxed to someone without your knowledge and permission. I have seen personal information for three people so far, including phone numbers, account numbers, names, addresses, etc. This is unacceptable. Meanwhile, I am still trying to get them to send the correct fax with MY information to the organization that requested it. Horrible service!

Get expert buying tips about Harp Loan and Loan Modification Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Carrington bought our loan from Bank of America last year. I pay my mortgage EVERY month and without missing 1 single payment since 2001 but pay when we receive our social security check every 3rd Wednesday of every month. Because I pay after the 1st when the mortgage is due, I’ve accrued late fees monthly now amounting to $2050.00 since Carrington took over. I also received a “Notice of intent to Foreclosure” with options for apply for a Loan modification, mortgage assistance, decide for short sale or Foreclose. Of course at our age, 78 and my wife 77, we applied for mortgage assistance in hopes to stay in our home.

Wrote a hardship letter and sent all the necessary information they requested with proof of our food financial issues and today we receive their response denying our mortgage assistance request and telling us our ONLY option is to “Liquidate our home” as if it were that simple to just give up and walk away from the only roof over our heads and the years we’ve invested in this home. We’ve worked so hard to keep this home. My wife and I have put a lot of love into this home to have this greedy and heartless company force us to just walk away from the only thing we own. UNREAL!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Fast process and exceptional service! I really appreciate working with this company, everyone was nice, professional and were always ready to help. I have nothing bad to say about this company, but it was absolutely one of the best experience I ever had. We're very happy to get us everything we wanted especially when we decided to refinance our house. Thank you so much Carrington Mortgage for everything!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

It was such an amazing experience for us! Everyone was always willing to help, very professional and responsive as well. The entire process was really quick and pretty much convenient. Thank you so much for the great customer service we received!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Carrington Mortgage Services?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I would like to thank Carrington Mortgage for helping us with our first house purchase! I recently worked with Carrington Mortgage for a house loan and I can honestly, they're one of the best mortgage company I ever dealt with, competitive rates and easy process. I received a great level of service, everyone was so friendly, very accommodating and were always ready to help. Everything went smoothly and completed professionally. Will definitely use again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Carrington purchased my mortgage from CitiMortgage several years ago. CitiMortgage allowed us to make bimonthly payments as well as pay extra on the principle so that we could pay off the mortgage early. Carrington refused to let us do the same. I was told that they didn't have the capability. In the years that Carrington had our mortgage, even though we had a few financial difficulties, we never missed a payment (although a payment may be a day or two late due to their wonderful computer system). They also charged us fees when the mortgage was late and it was their fault (usually because their computer system was down).

When it came time to pay off the mortgage I was asked if I wanted to net the escrow. Since our escrow was only slightly more than our principle I said yes. The first payoff notice I received did not net the escrow. I was then told that I had to do it online and that I could not make the request over the phone. Why did they even bother to ask if I couldn't make the request over the phone? The payoff notice that was received after I made the request online did not net the escrow either. I was then told that I had to make the request in writing. My third attempt at a payoff notice came back with the escrow netted; however, they added on all kinds of fees. They also kept telling me that if I didn't want to pay extra interest that I could pay the fees and if they were reduced that they would send me the difference. Fat chance, I did not trust them to send me the difference.

After getting a lawyer involved, three more attempts, and a total of two months, I finally received the correct payoff notice. They stretched out the whole process as long as they possibly could so that they could squeeze every last nickel and dime out of us. We were paying off our mortgage five months early and they tried to bleed us dry because of that. If Carrington ever purchases your mortgage from another company I advise you to refinance with a reputable company so that you do not have to deal with Carrington Mortgage.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was looking for a house to purchase and found Carrington Mortgage Company through the recommendation of my brother-in-law who was a lawyer. I was very skeptical at first, but after reading a lot of reviews about them from different websites, I was finally convinced to go with them. They walked me through the documents that needed for the purchased, negotiation and refinancing process. Their communication was also impressive, they kept me updated with the progress and they were also very responsive to all the questions I had and explained everything to make sure I understand everything very clearly. My entire experience with Carrington Mortgage Service is absolutely great and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for an honest and reliable mortgage broker.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This company is a joke. Due to loss of job we fell behind on our payment. During this time we had water damage to our kitchen cabinets and had to file ins. claim. Insurance company sent the check and we contacted Carrington our the insurance claim. They stated since the mortgage was delinquent that OUR MONEY would be monitored (BS). Spoke with several CSR and they stated for the claim not to be monitored and not to have a licensed contractor. We will need to pay the past due balance. We did exactly that after verifying the loan was current. We were informed they would endorse the check and send back to us.

The day we emailed everything over and verified it was received they stated they would still be monitoring the claim and we had to have a license contractor for something we could fix on our own. They are complete liars and very rude and after checking online we notice our mortgage payments has increased with no explanation. Our kitchen still isn't fixed going on two months now. I'm so over this crooked company. Attorney general is my stop.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Working with Carrington Mortgage Service is such an amazing experience. This company did an amazing job of handling my refinance process. We recently had refinanced our house and been with them for a couple of months now. I never had any problem regarding with the communication through the entire process. Everyone was always ready to help and from start to finish, they're always been very accommodating and professional. Would gladly recommend them!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Carrington Mortgage Services did an amazing job of handling my refinance process. The agents were all great and handled everything very smoothly and had no problem with them, from start to finish. Any questions I had in mind was answered very quickly and thoroughly provides information that we needed to know about refinancing. Thank you so much to each and everyone from Carrington for helping us.

Original review: July 30, 2018

BEWARE!!! This company is a rip off. My mortgage was sold to them a few years ago. I was getting emails and mail about refinancing so I decided to give it try with debt consolidation and extra cash out. I was told to pay for a appraisal which cost $495. Then an issue came up about my student loans which are in deferment. After all this it was suggested that I do a streamline refinance which does not require a appraisal and that I was basically on my own with the $495 I paid. Horrible customer service.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I’ve never been here personally, BUT I have dealt with Carrington and my experience was EXCELLENT... Even better than I imagined. 2 months ago I started the home buying process with my loan officer, Justin ** and Angie ** our loan processor. Let me tell you about Justin first, he’s caring, compassionate, and was there for me every time I needed him. When I felt discouraged, he lifted my spirits and reassured me that everything would be ok, he was great with me...

Angie, was nothing less than an Angel, she was sweet and also compassionate to me and my family’s need. She was on her job like white on rice. lol. The managers here are also great, they were also on the job making sure we were taking care of. I know that they have millions of customers, but they made me feel like me and my family were the only ones that mattered at the moment, they made us feel like family at Carrington. I am FOREVER grateful for them!! Oh, P.S. We closed on our home TODAY!!!

Original review: July 20, 2018

My partner and I finally decided to refinance our property and we are truly happy for having Carrington Mortgage Services to help us. They worked quickly to get us everything we needed and I am very impressed with the communication, they kept us well updated all throughout the entire process. Great experience overall! The one that I would definitely recommend!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Impressive! I am pretty much happy with the experience I had with the Carrington Mortgage Service. The company went beyond our expectations and did a great job of handling our refinance process. The agents were absolutely professional, very accommodating and the communication was fantastic! Fast and such an excellent experience! Provided us with everything we needed and we can't say enough how great the service was. We always felt like we mattered. Thank you so much.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Great experience I had so far! Working with Carrington made our refinancing more easy and very convenient. They were able to respond to our calls and emails promptly and they were very fair and extremely professional. Much better service than other mortgage companies I dealt with. I am extremely satisfied with my experience with this company and would love to recommend them!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Very quick and easy loan process! Working with Carrington staffs was fantastic. I am very amazed with the quality of service received and they were able to answer all questions asked. Was able to refinance our house within a couple of weeks and extremely pleased. Thank you so much!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a fire to my home in December 2017. I contacted the Loss Claims Department and filled out the proper paperwork to rebuild. I've been trying to get an inspection done from Carrington for 3 weeks and no one can provide me with a supervisor. I've also been given an advocate email with no response for over a week. My contractor has halted work because of this. They are holding a large amount of my insurance money. A considerable amount more than what is my mortgage. Totally unacceptable.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Carrington Mortgage took over my loan from Bank of America July 2016. January 2017 I was unemployed but manage to make my mortgage payment through March. April was unable to make payment, I was hired in April, received my first check 05/18/18, made my April payment. I told Carrington Mortgage I will make 2 payments in June. I received 2 letter the same letter from Carrington stating Notice of Intent to Foreclosure. They sent this letter when you are 30 days delinquent. Today 06/21/18 I received a letter typed on my first door after telling this me they will have 2 payment on 06/29/2018.

I would not do business with this mortgage company. They are horrible. I take this type of action as harassment and attempting to intimidate the customers if you are 30 to 60 days delinquent. I have worked in the mortgage industry and we didn't send Notice of Intent letter until the customer are 90 days delinquent. If you are having any type of problems with your mortgage company file a complaint with the Department of Justice (DOJ) and there are other companies you can file your complaint. If you keep silent these types of company continue to mistreat people. Speak up and complain.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Carrington Mortgage preys upon those who have lower credit scores, they will try to take advantage of you especially if you appear to be desperate. I was one of those desperate people, around 2 weeks ago, I applied to get a loan with them and when I sent the paperwork to be looked at by a real estate lawyer he told me to run. I have a VA. They wanted to put me in a FHA with an interest rate of almost 12% for 30 years.

I only have 13 years left on my house, when I calculated the price up I would have paid over $333,000 for a house whose value is around $115,000. Therefore, I decided to tell the loan officer I was no longer interested. They still gave my number to an appraiser who tried to schedule an appointment and I told the appraiser I was no longer interested. Ever since I told this company I am no longer interested they have continued to pull my credit, which has caused my scores to go down 30 points. If you have poor or bad credit stay away from this company. They will make your situation worse than it is.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Carrington Mortgage bought my mortgage from Bank of America in Feb 2018. When I went to pay my first payment with Carrington, they didn't even have an account number for me. They said to put my BOA account number on my check. I had to mail a check because they did not have my account online. When I finally was assigned an account number and went to make my next payment online, they charge a $5.00 fee to pay your mortgage online. They charge a fee for every kind of way to make your payment unless you send a check to them or have auto draft. I signed up for auto draft for the next payment. She I scheduled the next payment, my normal monthly payment showed what I had been paying for over a year.

Since this was my first auto draft, I checked my mortgage account a few days before it was to be taken out of my bank account and the monthly fee was $60.00 higher than what I had posted for and taken out of my bank account. I called Carrington and was told they decided they wanted a certain amount of back up equity and since it wasn't there they decided to increase my loan monthly charge by $60l00 a month. I never got a notice about this. I was signed up for email notices. So I cancelled auto draft and told them I was going to refinance my loan with a mortgage company I could trust and actually feel comfortable with. I spoke with a local mortgage company and was able to refinance my loan and get away from Carrington.

My loan was paid off on May 29, 2018 with Carrington. They still owed me my escrow balance of $1,458.67. Since I never trusted this incompetent mortgage company, I checked every day to make sure they showed my loan as paid and what my escrow balance was. I emailed it all to me and my husband. So today June 11, 2018, I checked my escrow balance and it was lowered by $45.74. I did an internet chat with one of their people and was told I was charged out of the escrow they owed me for HUD insurance that was for 6/05/18. They said it is a legal charge. So how can it be a legal charge for a loan that has no balance???

They lie and screw you over every chance they get. BELIEVE the bad reviews!!! I have experienced a lot of the same things. We asked May 30, 2018 when we could expect our escrow check and was told within 15 days which we gave only business days (should be this week?). So I told the chat lady that our check should have already been mailed, she said, "No. We have 15 days to mail it to you." So with only business days included they don't have to mail our check until June 19, 2018. PEOPLE DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE CROOKS!!! If you can get out and stay away from them!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Great service! Extremely friendly and they were able to answer all our questions and responds to our calls and emails in a convenient way. Everything went smoothly and never had any problem working with the employees from Carrington. I am extremely impressed with the service, they were very quick, proficient, honest and very reliable. I thank everyone who help us with refinancing our home and can't say enough how grateful we were for having this company!

Original review: June 6, 2018

This was a standout amongst other experiences we've had! The staff who took care of us were very knowledgeable and were very easy to reach by phone or email. They really made the whole process easy and stress-free. Decided to purchase a new house and this company was able to help us with ease. Thank you so much Carrington!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Don't use this company. They are unprofessional and do not help their customers, they put you in a negative state just to approve you for a loan mod. Credit report tanked over 100 points. Stay away from them, they're crooks.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Positive experience. A great company with, very extremely expert, prompt and honest employees. Gave us a good advice about purchasing our new home and was dependably receptive to my calls and emails, also returned my messages quick as could be expected under the circumstances. I had an incredible experience with the whole process and so far had no problem with the service they provide!

Original review: June 1, 2018

It was truly a pleasant experience having this company help us with our home loan. My wife and I decided to refinance our home and the people who assisted us from start to finish made the entire process significantly less stressful than I thought it would be. We had been extremely satisfied with the experience we had with Carrington Mortgage. They've been very helpful and professionally - they did an amazing job.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Carrington mortgage are horrible liars. I was told I would receive a call from the company about my lien release almost a month ago and I received nothing. My loan was paid in full and 3 months ago still a damn lien!!! Stay away from this company!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I gave them 1 star, because 0 stars are possible. My mortgage was sold to these people by BoA. I have no issues before but now they seem to try everything to keep you from paying your mortgage. I was told that the transition would be easy and the terms would all remain the same, such **. When asking to escalate a call to management or a supervisor they ask you to fax the request and someone will return your call, everything is recorded (according to them) but you have to fax to request a transcript of conversations, they are quick to want to know your financial status --> why? Because they are banking on a foreclosure. I now have to Western Union my payments because they won't take them over the phone, online or by check. And credit is posted to your account a day late... DO NOT do business with this company!! And if you are stuck, like me, seek to refinance with a more legitimate, customer-friendly company like I am doing now.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had issue with this company since day one with my escrow. It feels like nobody in the service department knows anything about how escrow works. In March I received an email that my mortgage went up $500 because they miscalculated my escrow last year. Even after running my analysis several time they kept telling me that I came short of the property tax. Apparently, they used my 2016 prorated rate for my 2017 property tax, which they had to add the difference they paid in 2018 escrow.

However, they told me that the shortage was 3,414 because my property tax came to be 4,497 which is inaccurate. Kept telling them that my 2017 taxes are exactly the same as my 2018. They told me I had to get supporting documents from the city to prove my property tax. I was able to obtain these documents in 30 min, but it's annoying that I am doing their job once again. At this point I feel that they are committing fraud by charging me $1000 more than what I owe.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I would recommend Carrington Mortgage Service without any hesitation. Everyone was fantastic, easy to deal with, professional and very trustworthy. They were very helpful during the whole process of refinancing our house. It was absolutely a pleasure working with this company and they were able to help us the way through. Thank you so much!

Carrington Mortgage Services Company Information