Sacramento, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

California Check Cashing Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about California Check Cashing Stores?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about California Check Cashing Stores?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2011

I think I am being told to scam others with what I am not able to click up too. I, too, am on SSI, and I feel that they are scamming me. The result of the matter is that I went to California Check Cashing and Nena told me to Google the name of the website the same exact way it was spelled and it led me to get to the bottom of where this emergency is necessary. I oversaw everyone that ConsumerAffairs posted up for them and realized that there are a few people in my area that have been hit and I state that in every quota.

Thank you everybody, who fell into their capitulation. Call me your AMW "John Walshch" on the internet that doesn't do his job the same way anymore. My email is **. I have a phone number, **. Ask for Kimberly and tell her to contact Rosa and she will appoint you in my Direction. Everything's going to be alright. Don't bug.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2011

I filed my taxes here. The Filipina woman who helped me told me that I would be getting $500 something after all the fees, and $77 for my state tax return. I made more in year 2010. I asked her why am I getting so little. And she said that it's like that. So, I waited in less than a week. She called me and told me I can pick up my check. She again repeated that I would be getting $500 something on the phone. She said it in two occasions. When I came to pick up my check today, Saturday at 12:00 pm, she told me I will only get $384 because they charged me fees and e-file, etc. She said there is no way that she made a mistake somewhere.

I asked her why am I not getting the original copy of my W2. She said it's for them to keep. But I insisted to get a copy of it at least. She disattached my W2s and gave 2 parts of my W2s to me. And she was already being rude. And then, I asked her why am I only getting these documents. It's because last year I filed in turbo tax and they gave me all my tax documents. She got mad and started raising her voice. She told me: "Well, nobody has ever complained before. You are the only one. So, I don't think we are making any mistake here.” I was very embarrassed by the way she talked to me so I had to tell her, “You are so..you are so ..” Then, as I was walking away, I was almost in tears because of the way she assisted me. I yelled at her. Other customers were there too.

Original review: July 8, 2010

I cashed a paycheck from my employer at their check cashing store. I received the amount of the check less their processing fee. A month or two later, the paycheck bounced unbeknown to me, until I received a phone call from the store. My employer began having noticeable issues around the time I received the phone call. They said they would try cashing it again. Shortly thereafter my employer went out of business. A month or two later I received a letter in the mail threatening me with a law suit if I did not pay the full amount of the check back plus a bounced check fee.

I explained that I lost my job because the employer went out of business. I filed a claim with the labor board and provided them copies of the forms I submitted to show in good faith that I was trying to get the money from the employer so they would be paid. A month later I received notice from the Labor Board that the claim was dropped because my former employer had filed bankruptcy. I explained this to a representative from the corporate office who had called me. He asked me to call him back when I had news of the bankruptcy. I lost the contact information and received another call from him, but was at work and unable to answer. I have since left a message asking him to call me back so I can explain the situation. I've been trying to work things out with this company because I was not out to take advantage of them.

They threatened in their letter, before my correspondence with the rep from corporate, that they would take me to court over the amount of the check, the bounced check fee, three times of the amount of the check as damages (up to $1500), for which they cited Civil Code 1719, as well as for attorney fees. The letter stated that this would be my fate if I did not pay them directly. I cashed my paycheck which was in the amount of approximately $2000. The money from the cashed paycheck was used to pay my rent and bills for the month. Once I had heard the check bounced, I didn't dare cash any of my new paychecks. When they went out of business, I was unable to receive payment for any of my paychecks since the one I cashed. I am out $2,500 from my former employer in unpaid paychecks. I don't have the $2,000 or more if it went to court to pay the check cashing place.

I am not sure if they are just threatening me or if their claim has any legal merit. I am taking it seriously because I can't assume otherwise. Is the act of signing a check over to someone the same as if you wrote the check yourself? Does Civil Code Section 1719 apply to Check Cashing Stores? What remedies do they have?

California Check Cashing Stores Company Information