4.7/5 (329 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2013

Recently my home mortgage was switched to Caliber Home Loans (it was merged with Vericrest Financial), and my nightmare started. Their system is so inefficient and my payments arrived at their address on time, and they cashed promptly, but their system would not get updated correct. Then I received tons of mails telling me that they will foreclosure the house. When I called, they simply replied that they noticed their system issue and by mistake, put my funds to unknown area and did not have any apology. It made me confused :-) with clear account number on the check and with a letter, how can they cash the check without putting the funds to the proper account? Beside this incident, I have experienced several similar things in 3 months.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

Working with Caliber Home Loans has been an absolute nightmare. I was purchasing a townhome from this lender. The agent assigned to me, lied to me from the start. He was going to get me a lower interest rate than another home loan complaint. NOT SO. Actually it ended up being higher. The agent had no idea what he was doing. When I gave him all of my documents, I repeatedly asked if there was going to be an issue with my income/debt ratio. He assured me there were no problems.

Four days before closure, I was informed they needed more documentation and my income was an issue. I did not hear this from my agent. He had taken a 3 day holiday. My agent was fired (resigned) 1 day before the closing. At that time, the company asked documentation that I had already provided. They also wanted me to give them $5000 more for the down payment. I was not willing to provide them with more documents nor more cash. I lost my $1000 earnest money because we couldn't close on the 27th. I paid $400 for a new appraisal. I gave the agent my debit card to pay for it.

When I pulled up my bank account on August 23rd, they had debited another $50 my account without my permission. When I questioned an agent, he explained it was expedite my appraisal (may be illegal to do it). If my agent had known what he was doing, he wouldn't have had to order an appraisal because I wouldn't have qualified for the loan. I cancelled my account out of concern they would debit another bogus fee. The whole experience was horrible. Even though Steve ** is gone, I wouldn't work with them. There was absolutely no oversight of my agent's work. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to try and recoup my losses. DO NOT enter into a contract with Caliber Home Loans Aka Vericrest Financial.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

I have been a customer of Vericrest Financial since they brought CIT. I cannot access my online account to pay my mortgage and the number on their website states" for unforeseen reasons we are unable to take your call." When I called one of the branch locations they told me my account did not exist.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

My loan was bought by Caliber Home Loans/Vericrest a couple months ago. I was sent a letter from Flagstar explaining the transfer. I waited and never got a bill or statement from Caliber. I started trying to track them down knowing my mortgage was coming due. After many calls I finally got through to the mortgage dept. They had a recording telling me it was a debt collector and they were trying to collect a debt from me! What!? I was not late and have never paid a bill late in my life. The man who came on the phone also told me they were going to be collecting a debt and the call will be monitored. I asked him immediately if I was current. He said I was current.

I told him that my heart had dropped and they should not approach good customers this way. He just replied that he was sorry for that but that was policy. I had to call another time to get information for another mortgage I am getting and same thing again. They scare you to death making you think you are a deadbeat. By the way I also asked them about paying to principal and was told I would have to send two different checks also. This should not be legal! If I ever have a choice I will never use this company and would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 22, 2013

Our mortgage was previously with FlagStar and sold/transferred to Caliber Home Loans (formally Vericrest). Through FlagStar, we had setup monthly auto payments and an additional payment to go directly to principal. First off, we received a letter notifying us that we would now have to go through Caliber and that our first payment would still pull as normal, but we would have to setup a different payment arrangement thereafter. Our payment did not pull as they could not find our account information. It has been nonstop runaround with them for the entire month as we do not want to fall behind on payments. Once they found our info, we attempted to setup payments via their website and that was a fail. We called them and they told us to wait to see if the payment would go through; it never did.

Once again a phone call to them and were informed it would be $6 to pay over the phone?! On top of this, we can't setup an additional payment for principal only. The rep on the phone speaking to my husband sounded very shady as she could not explain how the additional payment would be applied. We are very nervous having to deal with this company given our current experience and seeing so many complaints. Best of luck to those who have to deal with them and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it goes smoothly for us.

Original review: June 18, 2013

My ex-wife had not paid a bill of $53.00. It went on for years before I saw it. Of course, it went against me causing me problems with my bank. So I called them. They first said it was written off, so I asked, "Then it is paid?" I said, "Sorry, I did not know about this." I asked, "Then take it from my credit." They told me they could not so I asked to pay it. They said no, it is closed. I asked again to take it from my credit. They said no. Later I talked with another and told me to pay my bill. Yeah, so they gave me a record. Now they told me to send the money. Later in the conversation, guess what? The man said not to send the money because there is no account to send it to. So the account is closed, but they won't release it from me.

Original review: May 11, 2013

I have requested by phone and email very basic information concerning my account. I have never been late on a payment in my life. You have failed to provide the full accounting of where my payments have gone and when. My contract states excess payments will be applied toward various arrears, then directly to principal. I have been harassed day and night by your bill collectors demanding I provide personal information over the phone to identify myself. I assure you that will not happen. Each time I requested legal proof that Veriquest owned my mortgage and that I receive a full accounting of any payments made. I requested the items be sent by US mail to allow me to research your company and determine the validity of your claims.

When I have spoken to people at your company, I initiated the call. Each time they would tell me that, "This is an attempt by a debt collector to collect a debt," when I asked what debt they were referring to, your people refused to disclose even what they were referring to. I surmised it was my mortgage because I have no other debt with exception of credit cards that are paid off every month and my auto loan with USAA, a reputable bank. I received a statement from your company today that once again tells me this is an attempt by a debt collector to collect a debt and any information obtained blah blah blah. Your statement shows that I paid $3,330.66 from April 22 to April 29. It shows three escrow deductions for that seven day period. It has some category called unapplied funds.

In all my years of home ownership and dealing with lenders, this has been the most stressful experience of my life. I suffer from many medical problems that have been exacerbated by your failure to handle my mortgage account according to the terms of the mortgage I originally signed. You have been abusive toward me in attempts to harass me. I have been forced to seek refinancing through USAA to stop the harassment. I just started throwing money at you every time you called, but that did not seem to satisfy the need. I spoke to employees as well as supervisors. None of them was able to figure out where my money was going, but they virtually all assured me I would receive a full accounting of my payments.

I have been harmed by your company medically and I am incurring unnecessary expenses to refinance my home, and all I have are a few simple requests from your company: 1) Reimburse the appraisal and title company charges for my refinance; 2) I will absorb the other costs as my contribution toward severing this unsuccessful business relationship; 3) I will absorb the treatment costs and medication I have needed to overcome the unbearable stress I have endured; 4) Please ensure any mailings for promotional items, etc., are never sent to me from your company or any affiliates; 5) Please provide me with a thorough accounting of what has happened to the excessive amount of money I have paid to your company in the short time you have owned my loan; 6) I would still like legal proof that I was required to send payments to your company. All I have received to date are letters with greetings and addresses. I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Original review: April 4, 2013

Vericrest recently acquired the mortgage on my home. I have had this happen before and it really isn't a big deal but from the start (only about 3 months), this has not been a pleasant experience. During the transition, I was alerted by the old bank that the mortgage was sold to Vericrest and next payment should be made to Vericrest. I did not receive a bill from Vericrest and the first correspondence I received from them was that I was delinquent and that this was an attempt by a debt collector to collect a consumer debt. (This line appears everywhere by the way.) Is this any way to treat a new customer? I received an actual bill a couple of days later and promptly paid it. Bad taste right from the start.

Then the next month when I received the bill, I added extra principal to my payment but oddly there was no place to add principal on the payment coupon (really) so I just wrote it on the payment coupon clearly and on the memo line of the check. Guess what, when I received the next bill, it was all applied towards interest/escrow. When I called to figure out what went wrong, I was told that to send any additional principal, one must send a separate check to a separate address. This should be illegal. Why on earth would they do this? They clearly want to make it difficult on people and want to treat people in an adversarial manner. Shame on you, Vericrest!

Original review: March 23, 2013

My loan was recently sold to Vericrest Financial, and I am so angry with them that I cannot even put it all into words right now. Can't even make a payment without being charged a $6 fee, and they keep screwing up my attempt to set up recurring payments. So they put me on their call list for debt collection and left me a couple of messages that were so staticky that it took several listens before I could understand. They didn't send me any emails or even an email through my online account that I was past due, etc. They never sent any payment booklets or similar, just a letter that they took over from my last loan company and I should pay them from now on... Very irritated!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2013

I was waiting for an answer for like forever on a modification. After sending them info time and time again, same info every time, I finally got an answer to my mod. No! I did stop sending them money to get caught up right in the beginning of mod process because nothing was happening with my mod. I did put home on market while foreclosure was in the near future. I had home sold but at signing time. Vericrest came back wanting $2,000 more. Buyer was putting $90,000 down also. I also had it sold a year and a half ago but foreclosure trumped the sale. Now, 2 years later, home is up for sale by Vericrest for less than they would have gotten. Never ever get a mortgage from this company and if your credit is great, remortgage away from them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

BOA sold our mortgage to Vericrest. We have had mortgages sold before and thought nothing of it. However this company calls us nonstop to "let us know" stuff or "confirm information". The most recent call was that our escrow account was going up. We received a $250 refund from last year's escrow because the value of our home had fallen and taxes were slightly less. However within 60 days of Vericrest acquiring our loan, the amount went up.

I am writing this review because I believe Vericrest to be the type of institution that is inflicting stress on its customers that is unwarranted. When we answer the phone, the person on the line indicates that they are attempting to collect a debt and any information obtained to collect will be used. They are like robots and do not agree to stop calling. They call to let us know that we should connect our bank account to them for direct deposit. I have always done this in the past with companies but I feel like, with this company, they would flat out take my money whenever they wanted.

We have contacted BOA because we have been account holders with them for over 15 years. We think that they have a very important role in verifying a company prior to selling a mortgage. We were a customer whose money they didn't mind taking and accounts they have held. Please try and protest and write letters against a transfer to Vericrest should you receive notice from your current mortgage holder. This group is definitely going to see press time as a large lawsuit is eventually filed from their shady practices. Good luck if you are with them now. Wish us luck!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2012

Vericrest took over our Wells Fargo loan, while we were in default. I made contact (and a lot of it - in excess of 224 calls and emails in total) to go through the loan mod process. My request was simple, let me get on a plan to get current on the loan, the rate can stay the same. Over the course of the foreclosure, I made contact at least twice daily for four months for response. I was upside down on the first and had a second, also with Wells Fargo, that was 100% upside down. Wells made it clear they would seek deficiency judgement on the second, forcing us to file Chapter 7. Vericrest agents were totally non-communicative.

Then, on the morning of the foreclosure sale, they informed me that they would only accept a payment of the loan balance plus past due, in full ($1.1M) to stop the sale and that they never make any concessions on loans with interest rates under 6%. I said, "If they never made any mods whatsoever, then why did it take 4 months and 224 communications to arrive at that answer?" They had no response, just a "sorry." Take that back, there was never an apology, just an awkward silence. So, I found out what the credit bid would be and prepared an offer to buy the note for $50K over the credit bid, which they would not even look at. They also rejected participation in any sort of short sale.

The home was taken back at the sale by bank/Vericrest. Vericrest's REO broker, Timm **, or rather one of a group of his workers, all of whom use his name, contacted me the very next morning to offer the "cash for keys" equal to a payment. I accepted the offer, and honored it despite the fact that no one but me would sign the offer. The agent at Vericrest, Ms. **, was called over 40 times, never once answering her phone or returning my call. The home is being sold with an ask higher than the first balance, but then, as they foreclosed, it is perfectly legal for the lender to profit like this.

In the end, Vericrest Cares is a complete farce. They clearly had zero intention of helping, as they saw a chance to profit from an exceptional home in an exceptional neighborhood, and despite my wishes, desires and capabilities, would rather have seen me financially destroyed so they could enjoy a 100%+ recovery on my loan. Each day, I curse the names of the staffers I dealt with at Vericrest and Prudential (their REO henchmen) in hopes that bad karma will befall them. That said, hey, it's all legal, and what are ethics anymore?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2012

Can anyone tell me or explain as to why my home loan got transferred to this company? We started out with a no name loan company, who in one month sold our loan to Countrywide, then when they went under, they sold it to Bank of America. I was sent a letter from BOA, saying this company has bought our loan (it is already modified) but could only say it's because it falls under Freddie Mac (we are not aware that they have any part of our home loan). And because we were modified last year, they can do this. Now I have tried to call this company, but they can't even tell me my loan number, let alone if they have our mortgage loan. I have seen others who have written here and we don't wish to lose our house (we have a medically fragile baby and two GSDs who are trained to assist us with her needs). So if anyone has any ideas or knows how this company operates, please let me know. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2012

I'm current on my first loan but have fallen behind on my second. I've reached out to the second loan department, Vericrest, asking help and they have advised that I can now pay and over the paper work to bring second current. But they refused to help because they will be profiting by foreclosing on my house.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2012

I have read all your complaints on this site and my complaints are so familiar with all ones on this site. So what can we do? I hope we can all get our receipts and their records together and find someone to listen. They done the same with insurance tacking on fees. It's really overwhelming for me especially I have had to assume my financial affairs since my husbands sudden disability.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2011

We got behind in our payments because of loss of job and the economy in general. My mortgage company (before Cit Group and now Vericrest) instead of helping me with the principal and interest, they raised my interest from 5.75% to 6% and just put aside part of the principal, but I still have to pay at the end of the loan and I don't know how. Also, they force placed all kind of insurances at a ridiculous amount and I had to pay everything. I tried to fax them a million times my own policies for insurances, but it took them 6 months to receive something I was faxing them every single day. I felt behind my payment again. Now, the last thing they did, they decided to take my payment for the month of August and applied towards taxes and again, I am behind a payment because I have to send the payment of August again. They do everything they can to mess up the customers lives.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2011

Our mortgage went late via Citibank due to loss of job and they sold it to Vericrest. I sent them a check, which they sent back, and I had spoken with a few people. Sofia was one of them; she was very nice and she assured me that they were now working on our account to help us. I was to wait because they were going to get us in a plan that would help.

Now with all the fees that have been attached daily, the price is going up and they are not taking any money so we can help ourselves get back in good standing. Our property is worth $119,000; they will foreclose for $53,000. This is why I believe that they are making it so difficult. I am just sick over this.

I am working again and I can put down a substantial amount, but now they are telling that my total was twice what they told me last. I am so scared that I will lose our home which we worked so hard for all these years!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2011

I filed bankruptcy in 2004 due to being behind a couple months on my mortgage payments to keep CIT/Vericrest from foreclosing on my house. I have certificates of mailing and copies of checks for each and every payment made since 2004. The bankruptcy was discharged in 2008. Ever since the bankruptcy was discharged, Vericrest, formerly CIT Group, has been claiming I am behind on my payments. I asked them to tell me which month they claim I missed. They tell me they don't have to. I have been given several different dates for the month they claim I'm behind. The latest was during the bankruptcy. I was told this on Feb 3, 2011. Their attorney fees were included in the bankruptcy. Yet, they are now claiming $2500.00 in late payments and fees. They send two certified letters a month threatening foreclosure. They cannot tell me which month they claim I missed. They send a payment history and tell me to go through it to find the alleged missing payment.

Kim ** is the one who lied about the attorney fees and handled the bankruptcy. I tried talking to her and even called her supervisor. But I never heard back from either one. Is there anything that can be done to get them to leave me alone or provide the date and month they are claiming I missed? These people are nothing but crooks and thieves. They are rude. They will not provide the information I ask for. I have contacted the FTC about them and I guess I'm going to have to contact them again. Vericrest aka CIT Group needs to be investigated and shut down.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2010

About 3 years ago, I took out a loan on my Capitol One credit card for extensive dental work. Not sure when but the paper was obtained by Citi Bank. The number I have for them now is unworkable. I received nothing saying that I must get a payoff amount before making final payment.

I could not have called then anyway as guess Vericrest Financial had taken them over. I received nothing from Vericrest. I pay my bills online and on time. I made the final payment when due. Next thing I know Vericrest had put me in collection for $1.35. I called and talked to someone named Aaron who said he would get a supervisor to handle it.

Yesterday, I got another letter from Vericrest. The amount of the principal owed keeps increasing. I told Aaron I wish to speak to a supervisor. He put me on hold but came back and said she was busy but would handle it today (yesterday). Thinking about it the people have ruined my credit.

I called back and spoke to a different girl who hung up on me when I interrupted her standard line telling her she and her company needed to know I would sue them if hey don't get this straight and clean up my credit rating. These people should not be allowed to be in business. Hopefully you can help. If not, I am contacting an attorney at an expense I can afford.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2010

This loan was done in 2003. I paid $560.00 for 2 years and had an income loss because some of my stores that I was servicing sold out to other food chains. My income dropped big time. I asked CIT Group to refinance me and they wouldn't and couldn't after I told them of the problem I was having. Well, we had no idea until a worker in their company slipped up and told us that there was a title problem. The title had never been put in our name. I paid 2 years and they had yet to tell me that they had a problem. It was all fine while I was paying. What if I had of paid 30 years and after that I still wouldn't have owned my house. Well, we were told to get out in 2005 and we did.

They were going to foreclose on the property. If they had worked something out, we wouldn't have had the problem to begin with if they would have confessed up to the mishap they have done with the title. So, I'm stuck with a mortgage and I have to get out of the home even though I tried all options. However, there was no other option because I couldn't refinance or sell the home because it was never titled properly in our names. I gave up a car to keep the home because of income loss. I should've kept the car instead at least it was titled properly. 3 years go by since we were out and the home sat empty going downhill from not being lived in because they figured out that they couldn't foreclose on us because of the title. So we were being charged $590.00 a month for 3 years in a home we were told to get out of.

CIT Group turned the account over for collections to Tritium card services to become the collection agency for my account in 2008. I told them that we haven't been in the house in 3 years. I talked with them and worked out an agreement for $400.00 a month and I asked since I was paying if I could move back in. Well, we had to do some work since no one is living in the home. If a home doesn't have heating and air and living in it will eventually need work faster, some things must be redone in it. We paid for 6 to 8 months as agreed. Just before Vericrest took over, CIT took us to court over the title problem to try to cover their end. Well, we did go superior court to have the issue resolved. CIT was trying to go to another route to have the title destroyed to get around the title problems.

Nothing came from it because to this day, they still failed to get the title fixed even after court and the account became Vericrest Financial because they bought out CIT Group even though they are the same people who work there. They called and spoke very rudely to me and I tried to explain that I've tried for years to work something out. So we got letters from their attorney in NC that they are going to foreclose. I responded to their letter by email. I had some people call Vericrest and Vericrest's attorneys about my account as well. They said that they were going to foreclose on the property and there is nothing that could be done. Well, the same people that they were so rude to as well on the phone found out they are still the registered owners of the double wide and the attorneys sent a letter asking them to sign a paper stating they were the former owners and to sign off on the title so they could foreclose on us. I've tried since I've found out in 2005 to fix this issue and all they've done was deny the problems.

Well, they found out when they tried to destroy the title to bypass the problem that North Carolina DMV doesn't play games and plainly told them that they can't destroy the title because it’s not in our name but it's in someone else's. That's when they sent a nice friendly letter from the people wanting that Vericrest and their lawyers were so rude to as well on the phone to sign off on the title. Basically, the very people that could have fixed all this were treated with disrespect and rudeness as well. That being according to the NCDMV, they are the rightful owners of the home that I should be on. As for one of the comments that a collector made above, yes it is your job. However, if collectors are mean even though you tried resolve it for years, what are you supposed to do? You’re going to loose respect for them. You’re treated as how you treat others.

Basically, a home I purchased in 2003 has never been mine and it still isn't in 2010.I am into emotional stress, constant worries and wondering what to do next. If I could afford an attorney, I would fight this for sure. Now my balance is $130,000.00 for a double wide which is stupid and wrong since they do not want to accept fault. Proof enough, after all these, I still don't legally have my name on the title of my home as by the title, it belongs to someone else. I purchased title insurance on this loan to protect me as well and now, what? I should be wiped clean of the account and my credit cleared of all these wrongdoings and sufferings they've caused me and my family.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2009

Prior to July 2009, I was never late with payments. I had been away from home for six months and upon my return in July, I overlooked sending payment on time. I received a letter from this company that they were turning the matter over to a debt collector. I received this letter before getting a statement for the month of July. Had I received a statement, it would have brought it to my attention that I had overlooked the payment. I immediately sent enough money to close the account, so it had been closed since August 6, 2009. I requested a letter of confirmation that this account is closed. I also requested a payment history showing how the last two payments were dispersed. Initially, I was told that it would take 21 days to receive it. Today, I was told that it would take 30 days. I feel that this company is giving me the runaround. I would appreciate your assistance.

Original review: April 20, 2009

Before the big mortgage bailout came about, I tried to work with my mortgage company to see if they could refinance. They flat out told me no and to get someone else to refinance me. Since then I fell behind in my notes and asked for a loan modification. My mortgage company is not helping. In January, I faxed all requested documents (not once, but on three separate occasion). Finally, they acknowledged that they received my document and it would have to go in review. It's now the end of April and I'm still waiting on the underwriter's decision, and the modification company needing more information from the mortgage company. How long does this process suppose to take? I'm only getting the runaround. I recently had my property reassessed and the value has gone down. Will they take the new value in consideration?

Caliber Home Loans Company Information