4.6/5 (282 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

The October payment that I mailed did not post to my account. The other 4 checks that I wrote on the same day as my Caliber check cleared the bank promptly. I called Caliber and with difficulty was able to speak to a representative who said they had no record of my check even though now it was nearly 4 weeks since I mailed the check. I told her I would stop payment on the check and pay the payment online which I did immediately. Of course, I had to pay a stop payment fee at the bank. On my next Caliber statement there was a $15.00 fee for a returned check - they attempted to cash the original check that they must have had lying around the day after I spoke to the representative. I called and asked that they remove the $15 fee and asked how they could have had my check for 4 weeks without cashing the check. After much discussion and typing and being put on hold, and asking to talk to a supervisor, the supervisor told the representative that as a "courtesy" they would remove the $15 fee. My new statement shows that the credited me $0.10. Just called again to ask for the additional $14.90 credit. They said they would issue the credit in 3 days. We'll see. I think this is a shady operation, and everyone should keep an eye on these people.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

You can’t get any real or valid information from Caliber Home Loans because they are not servicers. They are debt collectors under FDCPA. They are using shell trusts like US Bank TRUST NA as TRUSTEE for LSF8 Master Participation Trust. Both of these trusts are Delaware trusts. However, US BANK TRUST NA was closed in 2007. You need to sue them. Don't wait on them. They are lying. I am about to have a court case where the trusts are trying to foreclose on my property. Everything is so incredibly fraudulent and what it appears is really happening is that it is both Caliber and the lawyer(s) who are actually trying to foreclose and the trusts named as plaintiffs are just shell trust companies. Look into this stuff. It is all fraud. Then sue them. And keep suing them.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

My loan was sold to Caliber. I have had several problems with them. Sent my first statements to wrong address. Got a late charge for that. They weren't taking out my home owner's insurance. They changed my loan without my permission. They sometimes don't send me a statement. I had to have my original mortgage company fix their mistakes.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

This loan started with CBC bank in Kansas - a government appointed bank for the new laws regarding mortgages, loan programs, etc. They were wonderful but sold our loan to Flagstar who was fair, but sold the loan to Vericrest, who wasn't bad but they were sold to or absorbed by Caliber Home Loans and they simulate doing business like the old ABMRO Mortgage which was shut down or bought out after being caught doing many fraudulent things. In February 2014, my mortgage statement came with a $300 increase which should have been preceded by a letter to let me know there was a change. My mortgage was set up on an auto pay to avoid late charges so this increase went unnoticed until two months down the road when they called the house to say the mortgage was going into foreclosure.

My eighty-year-old parents freaked out. Trying to get information from them was impossible. I ask for an account history. 3 months before getting one, I checked the payments posted online and it only reflects half of the payments they have received. I spoke with a specialist and was advised to ask for a loan modification. I waited two months to get the modification kit they promised and it never came. I wrote additional letters asking for the kit and followed the legal recommendation for asking for a modification. I have not heard from this correspondence and it has been 6 weeks.

I spoke with a rep on the 29th of September and asked for her to give me the last four payment amounts and dates received. Reluctantly she did. I ask her to tell me the regular monthly payment due. She did after telling me that the phone call was being recorded again. I told her I knew the call was recorded because I worked for a bank. I added that her company was fraudulently withholding information from me regarding my payments and I wanted it noted on the tape of the phone call that I know they are holding my payments and not posting them so they create late fees on my account, prohibiting me from ever being able to be current.

I also told her about my multiple requests for documentation that I had never received. I asked her to add the last two payments received and give me a total of the two payments which was well over the monthly payment. She gave me a total but never uttered another word until I finally said, "thank you for recording our conversation" which clearly shows that your company is conducting business in an illegal fashion and I will be pursuing other avenues to expose the inconsistency in posting payments along with an incorrect increase in payment to cover the taxes.

When I contacted the county auditor, he indicated there had been an increase in the property value of $27,000 since the last county audit. I expressed my concerns for why my escrow increased more than 50% of the original escrow withholding - it went from $495 to $799, over a $27,000 increase in property value. Any fool can see that they have made a mathematical error in calculating the percentage of increase but they have not researched the error and continue to count my payments short and late. Please help me and help others to be vindicated and do not use this company.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2014

Mortgage has been in dispute for over 3 years with original lender. Lender refused to accept any more payments years ago when we were current and told us that they would foreclose. They waited about 2 years to finally file in court. We filed our answer and counterclaim... Original lender got our counterclaim and took off running. They sold the loan to a trust, supposedly, and the loan is now supposedly serviced by Caliber Home Loans.

Began dealing with Caliber in early 2014. Nothing has been done legally or properly by them since the beginning. First, they added thousands of dollars to the balances claimed to be owed on the loan. I provided documentation to them showing even what the original lender claimed to be owed, and Caliber replied by saying that those documents were not good enough. Caliber added on over $1K in various fees to the account, and claimed that the original creditor did that, not them. I provided Caliber with statements from original creditor showing that they were not charging one penny in extra fees. Caliber again said that was not good enough.

Who owns the loan? Caliber cannot even tell me. They keep changing the name of the trust that owns it. They provided me with faked "documents" that are supposed to be evidence of the transfer. I called them on it and Caliber repeatedly claims that my disputes are "without merit". The story changes every time I speak with them. Now, I learn that the trust that supposedly bought this loan had its cut-off date many months before my loan was actually sold. This means that the loan cannot be in that trust because it is illegal to add new loans to the trust's pool after the cut-off date. So, Caliber tells me right now that one trust owns the loan, but they send me documents that claim that a different trust owns it at the same time.

Don't bother expecting any help from their "single point of contact specialists", because you will get none. I have been lied to every which way, I have been mocked and insulted. I have caught people whom I had previously spoken to, now claiming to be a manager or supervisor on a new phone call with me. Nothing but lies. I have sent in multiple qualified written requests, email complaints at their request, and made too many requests over the phone to count to have them send me proper documentation on this loan.

So far, I have nothing legitimate, only fraudulent documents and more lies. Caliber even sent me documentation that supposedly is from the original creditor, but that has a fabricated account number on it. I checked, the original creditor informed me that they did not originate that document on this loan. Plenty of people from Caliber have promised me that they would "look into it personally", only to never call me back or actually do anything. When I first began disputing Caliber's claims, I was told by Caliber that they would not investigate any claims or disputes from me unless I first sent in documentation to prove my claims. This is a blatant violation of multiple federal laws, but Caliber is not troubled by such things. At times, their representatives have told me different stories... some people swore to me that "Caliber does not have to provide you any documents". Other times, I was told to contact the original creditor and get documents from them. These are not legal actions.

Most recently, Caliber started reporting on our credit reports. This is a BIG no-no, federal laws do not permit a debt collector to report a disputed debt without providing proper validation. Also, RESPA prohibits them from reporting any disputed info on credit reports for at least 60 days after they receive your QWR. Caliber admitted in writing that they waited exactly two days after getting a QWR, then began reporting. Caliber's first response to this problem was to tell me in writing that they were suspending all credit reporting due to my disputes. They did not, they kept updating their reporting as though nothing had happened. I disputed in writing again, and this time, Caliber sent me a letter telling me that they were REMOVING all credit reporting from our reports. That was over a month ago, and the reporting is not only still on my report, but they continue to update it every month.

Caliber has now broken so many laws, so many times, that the statutory damage amounts are more than what they claim is owed on the mortgage in the first place. But not even that revelation is enough to get them to straighten up and follow the laws. Caliber's reps on the phone have at times admitted some errors to me, even agreed with my disputes and told me that there is clearly something wrong with this mess. But then, their "dispute" people send me a letter and tell me that my disputes are "without merit". Even when they admit to a mistake in writing, they never actually FIX the mistake. Caliber admitted in writing that they had not credited all payments that show up in our account payment history, which itself has been in dispute for years. But while they admit that they overlooked payments, in the same letter they still claim that the loan is due for the same number of payments anyways. So, what good is admitting the error when they cannot even do the obvious to fix the result of that error?

We have been denied credit at our own bank, where we have had a perfect credit history for several years, because of Caliber's fraudulent credit reporting. We have suffered real damages at this point. Caliber still does not care. And all of this over a loan that I can prove we were not one penny late on when the mess all began!! Do not trust these people with a loan if you can help it at all. They WILL lie to you, WILL overcharge you, WILL promise you things and never deliver, and WILL break laws in the process.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

I have called repeatedly and can not even find the option to contact a person. My question is still unanswered and my time wasted. I have now emailed them and faxed them. I guess as long as you have no questions and all they have to do is cash your check, that they can do well. If you have a question or issue you are screwed. I guess the only way to talk to them is stop paying till someone notices and calls.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

The worse customer service I have ever experience with a company. VERY RUDE AND WILL NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. My loan was sold to caliber when I bought my home. Within eight months my home loan has almost doubled. It has went from $1251.00 to $2,256.98. I have called and they said that my taxes have gone up from $435 a year to $5,672.74 a year. So I called the county I live in and they said they were $435 a year. I had them fax me paperwork proving that and fax it to caliber. I have called every day for a month and they can’t give me a answer what is going on. They keep saying it is under investigation and they are putting it at HIGH PRIORITY and I need to call back.

I CALL BACK EVERYDAY AND GET THE SAME STORY. It took me five minutes and I had paperwork on a fax with one call. (And I gave them the phone number) I don't know what they do all day but it definitely is not customer service. They would have to have enough employees since you get a different person every time you call. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH A FINANCIAL NIGHTMARE, STAY FAR AWAY FROM CALIBER. THEY ARE VERY INCOMPETENT AND WILL SCREW YOUR LOAN UP.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

Caliber Home Loans, PO Box 24610 Oklahoma City, OK 73124. My loan was bought by Caliber. Trying to get information is impossible. Every customer representative has a different answer. I have been trying to speak with a Manager's denier: Her name, Nieve **. On August 2, 2013 the value of my house went down. Was $443,100.00 of that time my tax was $9,203.19, now $362,900.00 my tax $7,537.43. My escrow is a much different has yet fix.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I want to WARN any borrower of this company before they end up stuck with them for 30 years. This is the WORST lender I have ever had. RUNNNNNNN!!!!!

Aside from the usual not able to get through the automated system because it hangs up on you 90% of the time, if you actually are LUCKY enough to speak with a "customer service" agent they will treat you like a piece of trash. Pretty ridiculous considering the last time I called in was because the website was down and I was trying to pay my MORTGAGE early!!!! I actually had to email a screenshot that I took showing the website was down to a supervisor before she would waive the fee of making a payment. So nice to have my integrity questioned, another great showing of customer service! Never mind that it took me over 3 hours to make a phone payment that day...

In all seriousness, I have had HUGE issues with this lender that go beyond terrible customer service. They let my insurance lapse. I called multiple times to ensure it would get paid because it's impounded. And I finally get a notice that it lapsed. So I pay it myself. I would have paid it to ensure it didn't lapse but Caliber assured me "it was taken care of." What a joke. By the time they sent the check to the right insurance company, it was over 3 months late.

And one of the biggest issues I have had with them is making payments. I WANT to make my payments. I WANT it to come out automatically. Sounds like a business owner's dream come true right? A customer that wants to give you access to their account to ensure that you receive the monthly payments. Nope, Caliber would like for your life to be as hellish as possible.

After 1 year of trying to set up auto pay, and them only telling me what they "can't" do, I finally enroll. With Caliber F- track record I decide to set up a separate checking account just for my mortgage payments. When you set it up online it requires you to make your monthly payment to enroll, which I do. I also had a supervisor on the line the entire time to make sure it was done correctly. And guess what, they take out a duplicate payment for the month of September. And I can honestly say I am not the least bit surprised.

I cannot ever imagine being chained to these people for the next 30 years. I will never stop warning people about this lender, whether it's word of mouth, social media, Better Business Bureau, or reviews. They have made my life ** every month trying to complete the simplest task, like making my mortgage payment.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

My loan was bought by Caliber. Trying to get information is impossible. Every customer representative has a different answer. I have been trying to put a fraud alert on my account. I have phoned 4 times. The customer representatives state only Managers can do that. There is never a Manager to speak to and they never phone back when you leave your information. I have filed complaints with the BBB and no one gets back to me. They acknowledge the complaint that is all. They only give good service to prospective customers. The local branch state they can not help, they only deal with new applications.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2014

For all three years during the loan modification period, even though our payments reached Caliber's office on time, we were reported as late to the credit bureaus. At end of modification period we were told our interest would go from 2.0% to 8.5% and we also found out the modification was not a true modification because they were charging interest on the unpaid interest every month. And now at the end of three years all the additional interest was added to principal and we owe more on the balance than when we began the modification. This seems criminal to me and we have been attempting to straighten in out for over 1 year to no avail. No one can answer your questions. They say they will get back to you and never do. Every time you call you get a different agent - it is so frustrating. I'm thinking of calling the Attorney General because I don't believe what they are doing to customers is legal.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2014

As I stated above we had our home loan through HSBC/HFC and/or Household Financial. Back in May 2012, we contacted HSBC/HFC and requested a payoff amount for our home which they provided and we then paid off our home. We later received from them a letter dated May 21, 2012, thanking us for choosing their company for our financial needs and that they are "pleased to inform you that the above-referenced account is now paid in full." We also received from HSBC by mail (postage date: May 22, 2012) the DEED OF TRUST with the LOAN AGREEMENT attached and stamped PAID. Additionally we have the SUBSTITUTION OF TRUSTEE showing the recording was requested by: HSBC Consumer Lending, and when recorded return to Current Trustor (my husband) Gunter ________ and dated May 25, 2012; as well as the FULL RECONVEYANCE with that same information and date.

About a year after we paid off our home HSBC/HFC begins billing us for mortgage payments once again. We began numerous correspondence back and forth with HSBC/HFC as to why they are billing us mortgage payments when we have paid off our home. We have never gotten anywhere and then they began stating we are in default of our mortgage. In January of this year 2014 we received notice that our SO-CALLED Loan with HSBC/HFC has been transferred through a trust to Caliber Home Loans and HSBC/HFC.

Now Caliber Home Loans has been coming after us for mortgage payments and we have responded with numerous certified letters and demands of proof from them that they have the rights to be pursuing us for payments only to receive copies of our original loan documents from HSBC/HFC back in 2006 in response to some of our correspondence and no response at all to some of our other correspondence. They have not provided us with one thing justifying their pursuits against us are in any way legal. In fact, they are not legal, however, the mortgage companies have been getting away with so many illegal actions and foreclosures why shouldn't Caliber Home Loans. This has got to be stopped!

In the meantime, as of a week ago on Monday, August 11, 2014, Caliber Home Loans has filed with the County of San Bernardino a NOTICE OF DEFAULT where they also state on the last page a complete lie stating "2. The mortgage servicer has tried with due diligence to contact the borrower as required by California Civil Code section 2923.55(f) but has not made contact despite such due diligence. The due diligence efforts were satisfied on March 26, 2014", when in fact we have had numerous contact with them via correspondence over the entire time since they purchased this wrongful loan from HSBC/HFC. We worked very hard to pay this home off in full and it boggles my mind that a mortgage company can later decide that they can start coming after us for new loan payment then to sell this illegal loan to Caliber Home Loans and now Caliber is going to try and foreclose on a home that has been paid off. How is this legal.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

Caliber Mortgage bought out our home mortgage and they sent us a form to fill out and send back on how we wanted to make our monthly payments. The form was so unclear we took it to our bank where we would be making our payments from and had the loan officer there fill out the form and fax it to Caliber. From there, the Horrors began. After several months, we discovered our bank officer had checked a box saying Caliber should take out double payments. When we discovered this, we contacted them and could not get anyone to respond. Everything left us at a message line and no one would respond.

So we contacted our old mortgage co. and talked to the broker that signed us up with them. He was able to get a phone # to call. It took several times of our personal bank contacting them and us turning off the auto deduct of the payments before they would talk to us... And then of course they were going to turn our acct. to collection. So spent several days back and forth. Finally they got the clue and agreed to refund the extra payments. We got the money but the next day got a call saying our account was delinquent because they stopped the auto withdrawal of the monthly payment. Told them to start it up again and we were good (for a while).

Well, in July, we noticed our account was showing a low balance. My Husband checked the bank statement and found out account was being DOUBLE DIPPED again. SO All that I just went through happened AGAIN. Finally, spoke to a girl and she reviewed all and said she understood and the money was refunded to our account. So we get a call saying we are not current on our payments... Again, they stopped our auto payments from our bank. So in talking we reviewed all and she said she would clear everything up, State Payments again for Feb 2014, and that a double pay was made again and she would take it and apply it to June & July. On the 14 of Aug, the auto deduct payments would start again. I asked if she would send me an email confirming all that we had talked about. She said yes.

The next morning the phone rings and it is someone from Caliber saying my account is delinquent again. I told him to look on my account and he would see what had been arranged the day before. Spent 20 min arguing with him, telling him, "I had never dealt with such an incompetent company." Told him have had several in my 70 years. He finally said he would call back after he talked to the other agent. Have not heard back from him. But the report I asked from the one agent, the security I cannot get past the security and it will not let me open it so I asked her just to send me a copy but have not heard from her yet.

6 Aug 2014: I never wanted them and it would cost me a pretty penny to get out from under them... I wish I could save a copy of this for my records. CALIBER HOME MORTGAGE STINKS, IS INCOMPETENT and there is no way to get around the STUPID SYSTEM. There should be a law to PREVENT A MORTGAGE FROM BEING MOVED IF IT IS UNWANTED. HATE CALIBER MORTAGE.

Original review: July 25, 2014

My mortgage loan has been transferred 5 times. My original loan was set up due on the 1st of the month, grace period by the close of business on the 16th. If the 16th is on a Sunday, it is due the following day on the 17th by the close of business. Caliber refuses to accept my original contract terms. Caliber is in the full service business fees for payments (posted faster) I make mine online thru their website (the free service) but it takes 2-3 days to post to my account so it's late & it now is due on the 15th. So, in other words, even IF I made it on the 15th, it would still be late because it takes 2-3 days to post. If it takes 2-3 days to post, then I still would not get my full grace period.

Original review: July 10, 2014

We had a bad hailstorm on June 9, 2014 this year. Had an insurance adjuster and contractor at my house on the 20th of June. Had a check for the damage to the house before the adjuster left my house. Unfortunately, they make the checks out to my wife and I - and the mortgage company, Caliber Home Loans. I thought the adjuster would be the issue. Little did I know that it would be my mortgage company holding up getting my house fixed.

At their request, I mailed off the adjusters report, minus the first 2 pages, which were just a header page and a page explaining how to read the report. If you ever go through this, make sure you send in ALL the pages. That held things up by a week at least. It was mailed out the following Tuesday the 24th. After all the paperwork they were "missing", but was faxed to them on more than one occasion, I finally found out today that they are cutting the "first" check to me (and the contractor) to get started.

Actually, it was requested and takes another 3 days for them to mail it out. I even sent a self-addressed overnight prepaid envelope along with the report, which I was told that it wasn't filled out the way they requested and couldn't use it. I filled it out the way our post office told me to fill it out, but I guess that wasn't good enough either. After getting nasty finally, then all of a sudden they decided they could use it.

A week ago I asked a person if Caliber was going to pay for the additional repairs to my house that is caused by them holding me up getting it repaired. Was told I would have to contact my insurance company. The check that I sent that was from the insurance company was for around $17,500. I'm figuring that they are sitting on that money in their bank for as long as possible to gain a little interest off of "my" money. If you figure on another 1,000 people or more doing the same thing, that can add up to a tidy amount of extra money for them.

And to make things even funner, when the work is approximately 50% done, I have to notify them so they can send an inspector out and look at it. Once he gives his oky doky, they will send a 2nd check out. Then, once the work is 90% - 100% finished, I have to do that all over again, so I can get a final check sent. It's been a complete nightmare. By the time I get the first check, it will be 3 weeks since I sent them everything.

I will mention that at least the people that I have spoken to on the phone at Caliber have been decent to talk to, even when I got "testy". It shouldn't be this difficult to get my house fixed, especially when I had a check from my insurance company already.

Original review: July 2, 2014

What a horrible experience with this lender. Buyer was advised clear to close not once but three additional times to be told wait one more thing. That one thing then turns out to me numerous items. Everyone has gone through hoops except Caliber to get this done. Closing is now over three weeks and we have had all documents in since Mon. only to hear today, Wed., still in underwriting and they should be ready early next week. Seriously a week for the fourth time in underwriting! Is this normal for Caliber?

Original review: June 25, 2014

Chase have not passed on my billing info when selling to Caliber. Caliber never notified me that they bought the loan. When I finally realized my mortgage was sold due to extra money in my account, I managed to contact them through Chase Bank. They asked for late fees, escrow (which I don't owe) and for back payments of which I already made to Chase. Resulting in, 16 thousand in attorney fees six months later. I can't pay that and they want to take my home.

Original review: June 22, 2014

2nd attempt now to get a loan modification, first time I was given a phone call to say I had been approved, the paperwork I had filled out said I'd be really comfortable paying $650 a month, so that's what I started paying for the next 4 months. Everything seemed ok until my last statement. I paid the $650 only to get the check sent back to me. I've been on the phone with them numerous times since this occurrence, only to hear that I need to reapply for a loan modification. They took my other $650 payments and put them in a suspend account but haven't been applying any of it to my loan. It's just been a nightmare, not being able to talk to anybody that cares.

I've had a sheriff at my house to give me foreclosure papers, they keep telling me not to worry about it, that I won't be foreclosed on since I'm working on getting a loan modification. They won't call me to let me know if I've been approved and every time I call they tell me they're missing something I've turned in several times, it's brought me to a point that I might have to do a chapter 13 bankruptcy. I've told them sorry about the confusion and even if I had to make my regular $811 monthly payment, the wife and I said the house is the most important thing and they don't seem to care.

Original review: June 15, 2014

Was having trouble making mortgage payments and requested a Loan Modification. On Jan 11, I faxed 32 pages of financial info to Caliber to start the modification process. After being told that the process could take up to 6-8 weeks, I waited about 6 weeks and contacted Caliber to check on the modification process. I was told that my documents were not completed properly and that I would have to resubmit a more recent set of documents. This process was repeated in Feb, March, April, and May. Each time I submitted my documents, Caliber would assure me that everything was in order and that my modification request was being reviewed. By this time, I was receiving legal documents threatening me with my home being sold at auction. Each time I brought this concern to a Caliber representative, I was told that my house couldn't be sold at auction if I was in a Loan Modification process.

I got nervous about how long the process was taking and so set aside a mortgage payment each month starting in March. I asked Caliber if it was okay to wait until my new mortgage amount was known before I started paying again, and I was told that since a new mortgage amount would be known soon, I might as well wait. Finally, a sheriff stabled a auction sell date to my front door letting us know that the house would be sold at auction Tues, Jan 17th. I called Caliber demanding an explanation and they told me that a Loan Modification Process actually never got started because Caliber never got the documents filled out properly. Five months of thinking that any day now I was going to have a manageable mortgage that I could afford, ended in a nightmare with Caliber planning on selling my house on June 17. I offered to pay 3 months of mortgage in May, but was told that it was too late.

I am now in a position of losing my house and all I wanted from Caliber was a Loan Modification, so that I could afford my payments. Caliber led me to believe that I was in a modification process when in reality, the process never got started. Unbelievable. Do yourself a favor and avoid doing business with Caliber Home Loans at all cost.

Original review: March 30, 2014

Had some hard times with unemployment. Fell behind on mortgage. Sent them a check for 6000$. Over a week later, I noticed the check wasn't cashed. Called and they said yes we have it, but we filled foreclosure papers that I did not get yet. Received the papers, called to get papers sent for amount to reinstate the loan mailed. Over a week later still no papers. Called and they said its 16,000 (apx). Went to my 401 to get the money a few days later. Called back and told them I have the money. They said Oh, it's 20,000 now.

This was 2 days later. When I asked why she said I'm not sure. Have to call back tomorrow. Spoke again and was told couldn't get an answer that dept was closed. In meantime went to bank had check issued with initial amount of 16,000 with the letter they sent me and sent overnight. Two days later, I get another letter now saying 20,000. So called the bank to find out they didn't cash check. Called Caliber who said yes they have it, but won't reinstate my loan because its 20,000$.

When I asked how the hell that could happen in 2 days. They said legal fees weren't included! Read them. THEIR letter which states legal fees included. So then he said, Yeah we made a mistake!! So I explain that's your problem. In meantime, you have my check with the amount you asked for and won't take it?? He says correct. Keep in mind this was not money owed. There was 2,500 or more included in first statement. Now they are tacking on even more. No breakdown. No paperwork, nothing! I cant resolve this. It's pure crap.

Original review: March 10, 2014

During the beginning of 2012, work became very slow, being self employed, I fell behind on payments, I missed 3 payments. I made January payment, but was unable to make another payment until April at which time I contacted Vericrest to bring account up to date. Was told my balance to bring account current would be over $12000.00 due to late fees, attorney fees and my home was in foreclosure they told me. I tried to work out payment plan. They wouldn't accept, went from owing $1100.00 to over $12000.00. Ask if late fees, etc. could be put at end of loan, denied, extra payments per month, denied. Never was given list of extra charges and fees, tried to use money held for repairs along with other money to bring loan current, denied. Lost home.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2014

My bank mistakenly sent the incorrect amount to Caliber Home Loans for my mortgage. I called them and they took the difference over the phone with no charge. I also learned that I could pay my payments bi-monthly for no fee which I immediately signed up for. From the processing of my loan to the servicing of my loan, this has been the best company to deal with.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2014

I was filing for a home loan and was told by company we were applying with that we were more than 30 days late with our current mortgage. We have no current home loan with anyone in over 4 years but this company is currently reporting that we are late with our mortgage held with them? As I stated we have nothing current with them or anyone else at present time. I know over 4 years ago they did have our home loan but we lost our home to foreclosure. I want them to stop and desist with their fraudulent reporting to credit bureaus as we have nothing current with them or anyone else as I stated. We have no home at this time and definitely no home loans with any company at present.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2014

My mortgage was sold to Caliber Home Loans last summer. In December I incorrectly wrote my check for our mortgage payment resulting in a shortage of $300. I received an automated phone call mid-month (I later learned from my bank the check had been cashed 2 weeks earlier), that the mortgage payment was overdue (if you've ever received one of these calls from Caliber the tone can be quite alarming before the nature of the call has even been revealed, kind of eerie and frighteningly mysterious as perhaps a loved one is being held captive in a foreign country for ransom). Then the phone # provided to return the call leads to an automated system and leaves no prompt to speak to a live person to find out if the check never arrived, or in my case it had, had been cashed (I only learned this by contacting my bank, Caliber's automated system it appears does not register a partial payment), only it was short. This call came at the end of the week on a three-day holiday weekend. I should note that I firmly believe the timing of the call at mid-month is to enable Caliber to collect their late fee.

When I did finally reach a representative by referring to a phone # on an old invoice, I was condescended to as if I were indigent and headed towards foreclosure (that word was actually thrown at me during our brief conversation as well as being asked if I needed credit counseling). I was told there was no way to pay the missing amount by phone and then chastised that if the missing $300 was not received by the 31st, our loan would be sent to a collections bureau. I tried to tell the young woman our credit rating was above 800, but that was meaningless to her and only seemed to empower her condescension. I did complain to her that I had never had an experience like this with any other mortgage company (on one other occasion I had the misfortune to make a similar mistake with a nicer mortgage company and the matter was quickly and politely resolved) and was pretty unhappy with the way the whole matter of how an incorrectly written check could lead to such a feeling of feeling bullied by a company that held so much power over my feelings of security.

Next came more automated calls regarding the missing money (which by now was in the mail), and then followed by a new mortgage payment statement through the mail based on an increased escrow payment and including the missing $300 plus the late fee. I had actually mailed in my 2014 escrow increase in full at the end of December specifically to keep my monthly payments lower, however the new monthly payment had been calculated at the higher rate as though I had not. When I called again and spoke with the representative re: the increased escrow payment, he calculated the next month's mortgage payment at a slightly higher rate than last year's ($25 more based on the increased escrow, I still don't know why) yet informed me that this month's statement, due in 2 days from the mailing, remained at the higher rate (inexplicably $49 higher) since my full escrow payment sent in December had crossed in the mail. After questioning why I would be paying the escrow (which had already been paid in full) again a second time, the rep informed me that any excess escrow payments would be received back at the end of the loan... to which I replied "When I'm dead?" as I am a senior citizen.

In just six months I have learned to distrust this mortgage company for their unseemly practices of cashing checks and then holding them (as their later statement indicated) and not applying the cashed amount towards the loan; knowingly charging escrow twice and not returning the extra amount to the consumer within a timely fashion; timing their automated calls to retrieve mortgage payments at the date of a late fee being charged; and through making it extremely difficult for the consumer to contact the company after being notified of a late payment. Not to mention the lack of helpful communication with the company representatives. If I could move my mortgage to another company I would do it ASAP!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

Caliber Home Loans is a complete joke of a loan servicer. They hide behind automation technology and don't provide a way to contact them directly. You leave voice mails and send emails and they never respond to them. The only way that I found to get them to respond is to file a complaint on them through the Dallas BBB. Here is the link if you want to file a BBB complaint: **. If everyone files a complaint there to get an answer, their BBB score will continue to fall (it is currently C-). So if you can't get a hold of Caliber, file a complaint there ASAP (it still takes about a month before they bother responding).

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

The customer service doesn't want to answer emails, is rude on the phone, hangs up on you if they get another call, and good luck trying to complete a short sale with them. It will probably never happen.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2014

My husband and I have been trying to get in contact with someone at Caliber Home Loans. We are calling 1 (800) 401-1668 every day and we still haven't spoken with a live person. We tried to access our account via online but can't access the website. How in the world are you to ask questions and pay your mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2013

I'm currently in the military and had a home loan that was sold to Vericrest. I had to move because I was placed on military orders and fell behind on my payments. Because of the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act that was not supposed to be reported to the credit bureaus, I have called Vericrest 3 times about this and they have corrected it all the times. Now it's on there again and it's been going on for 6 months before I caught it. I'm going to contact an attorney to see what I can do about this.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

My loan was recently transferred to Caliber Home Loans (formerly Vericrest Financial). The service start date was Oct 1st. I normally send my payments on the 1st of every month since the grace period allows the payment to be as late as 15th of the month. I waited for their coupon book until 10th and finally called the company about the status of my account. The service representative told me that the welcome package was sent out on 9th and I can send the payment when I receive the package. Knowing the company's reputation, I decided to pay it as soon as possible so I asked about my account number with the company. Then I went ahead to create my account on their website and paid the first payment on Oct 11th (using their online payment link) that was due on Oct 1st. The fund was withdrawn on Oct 15th from my bank account. On Oct. 16th, I received their welcome package. I verified that my account in their website indicated that I paid the first payment on Oct 11th and my next payment date is Nov 1st and that no fees were indicated.

On Oct 19th, I received a letter. At first glance, it appears to me that they are implicitly conveying that I am responsible for the interest amount ("Accrued Interest through 10/10/2013") and foreshadowing that there will be a follow-up action from them. But the interest was actually higher than the monthly interest I normally pay on this loan. Also what really threw me off was that Federal National Mortgage Association is the creditor, which is wrong. And what I really despise about this letter is the debt collection notice at the bottom making me feel like I have done something wrong.

As soon as I received this letter, I checked my account online and everything was normal. No fees attached to my account and my next due date was still Nov 1st. I also called them and the first message after punching in my account number was indeed what everyone says: "This is an attempt by a debt collector to collect a debt." But the recorded information about my account was consistent with what I saw online.

After all this, I realized that, this letter and the first message when you call in, is just (hopefully) meant to intimidate their customers by instilling fear. I cannot believe there is still a company like this in this country and I am looking for ways by which I can stop this behavior.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2013

Caliber Home Loans are highly qualified virtually existing parasites with C- rating at BBB and my personal experience with them confirms this fact. Totally Careless, impudent to impossible extent (behind the mask of politeness) they will keep overcharging you, take interest from principal extra-payments you make etc. You have to control them closely and double-check every single transaction. They cannot be trusted. Calls do not work with them. They will tell you what you want to hear over the phone and do nothing and then pretend they've never heard about the issue. After several emails and after you begin threaten them they will eventually correct the balance and next month everything starts again.

These are the type of people for whom to die is and easy escape. Neither prison nor killing is sufficient punishment for the people with their attitude. Unfortunately this the only way they clean the society from these parasites, but nobody will do this.... Not worth to be convicted in crime against criminals and go to prison yourself.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information