4.6/5 (282 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: April 22, 2015

I was awarded my home in divorce settlement. The ex-spouse had not been making payments and referred all loan communication to her in another state. I have spent 22 months repeatedly sending & re-sending applications for a loan modification. During this time they would not accept any payments on my mortgage and returned any checks I sent. After all this time they denied the modification for the reason the LTV wasn't 80%. They did not take into consideration the current debt/income ratio which is better than it has been in years. They would not consider any of the state programs available to help prevent foreclosure nor would they consider a repayment plan. They violated every rule & regulation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureaus.

I have filed a complaint with them, as well as appealing there decisions. I was told by the attorney I hired to help prevent the foreclosure that Caliber Home Loans never accepts the appeal. They have also started foreclosure proceedings prior to the closing of the mediation process. They have fraudulent and extremely poor business practices. Anytime you call you get a different person who is rude and has no interest in helping you. They have no interest in helping a borrower and would rather foreclose than work with anyone to ensure they can repay their loans.

Original review: April 22, 2015

In my opinion, this is THE WORST loan servicing organization I have ever seen. Our loan was sold to them in 2013. Since that time we have received multiple errors with our escrow account. Just received another one today. This time they say we will be over $10K short in the account. Nothing has changed from last year. I will now have to call them...AGAIN..to get it corrected. I'm headed to our attorney general this time. Enough is enough. I'd go with zero stars but the system wouldn't let me.

Original review: April 17, 2015

Latest: Requested a loan mod since our outrageous ARM increase makes our $150k house payment $1450 a month, from former $575 a month. We haven't used credit in 10 yrs, and can't get a refi. Caliber doesn't refi their own customers, and they make it impossible to improve credit. Pulled free credit report and found our current Caliber mortgage, our primary residence, is showing as a closed acct, with every loan mod payment as late even though we paid on time.

Topping it off, they take any payments you become behind in during the 4 months it takes to process the loan mod, (they lose most paperwork you send) and call it a balloon due end of loan. However, they report it as a lump sum past due even though there's an entry for balloon payment. I contacted credit bureau. Fight hard, save every piece of paper, and names and id#s of anyone you speak to. They've tried foreclosure over 1 late payment, etc. Have nightmares almost every night since we're effectively trapped in this mortgage.

Original review: April 17, 2015

When my mortgage was taken over by Vericrest, I started getting notices in the mail saying I was behind on my payment and I wasn't. I would get phone calls several times throughout the day everyday. They rejected my last payment and had me to apply for a loan modification which they denied. Our home went into foreclosure. After living in our home for 15 years, we lost it and had to move. My mom bid on it when it went up for auction. She was the only bidder and went up to $18,500.00. They rejected it. Two years after we moved out, it sold for $14000.00. This company is impossible and I ether people to steer clear if at all possible.

Original review: April 13, 2015

I see that we are not alone with our dealing with Caliber. We fell 3 months behind and asked to have the payments put on the back end of the mortgage. They said they could work with us if we were current. One person there, one of many that we have talked to, called and set up a repayment plan. Although it would have left us short on funds each month we had no choice since we were told by one of the other service reps that the foreclosure process could start any day.

A week later we called with a HUD rep and the service rep said there was nothing showing a repayment deal. Also showing every month is a charge for over $300. When asked what that was being used for she said "taxes" but taxes were not added onto the mortgage and the year she said was paid we actually paid ourselves. It came down to it she didn't know what was being paid for with that charge. She said they will send us the information regarding that charge. We are still going through steps to get this resolved but Caliber does not appear to be a people friendly company. And as mentioned by others they don't listen to what you tell them. I do not recommend Caliber for home loans, unfortunate for us they bought our mortgage company.

Original review: April 12, 2015

Ever since they bought my loan in November, I have been harassed by mail. They say I am two months behind, when I've got proof I'm not. They threaten me with foreclosure every month. They have denied my request for a loan modification. They won't refinance me and because they report me late, my credit is steadily plummeting into the dumps and no one else will refinance me either. This company sucks!

Original review: April 11, 2015

Mortgage was transferred from HSBC, while we were with HSBC we file chapter 13 entire time we were current with our mortgage. Now after we completed our chapter 13, we received a statement saying we owe $18,000. We immediately called HSBC at the time we was with them and said this is a mistake they said they will help resolve problem. Then all of a sudden we received a letter saying our loan was being transferred to Caliber. This company is just as bad as HSBC. We sent them bank statement showing proof that we paid and also we in chapter 13 and there's no way you can get behind on your payments because they will with draw the "automatic stay" so now that Caliber still saying we owe this balance we now have hired a lawyer also we plan to sue HSBC and Caliber.

Original review: April 2, 2015

We were in escrow, with Caliber Home Loans as our bank. They lead us to believe we would have a loan. We paid them 150 for the paperwork stating such. Their ineptitude lead to them asking for the same paperwork over and over again, to the point we had to ask for 3 extensions in escrow. Eventually, Caliber stopped returning our phone calls in which we repeatedly asked for answers. Eventually, seller threatened to kick us out of escrow, and we would lose our deposit. We were then forced to take a hard money loan. This hard money loan cost us $17,000 in extra costs. Suffice it to say, we are absolutely livid with this company.

We are taking them to small claims court in Orange County, CA. We have a court date for June 10 2015. PM me if you want to appear in court and help hold this company accountable for their actions. Also, if you are having a problem with them, you can contact the Better Business Bureau and the district attorney. Even though they are in Texas, with branches in San Diego etc. know that they have a registered agent in LA, you can serve them court papers. Again, PM me if you need help filing a small claims case against them.

Original review: April 1, 2015

So recently, Caliber Home Loans bought our loan on our house which we thought was really weird as we were going into foreclosure. Both my husband and I went through job losses and ended up moving from our home to a rental in an area where we both were able to finally get jobs. We were so far behind on our Mortgage we agreed with the lender that the best option was to just foreclose. Well, much to our surprise, we get a letter from Caliber stating that not only did they buy our loan but that we qualified for a loan modification, and if we starting paying by February, we would not foreclose. So we said, “awesome, lets do it,” signed the paper, started paying. A few months ago, I started monitoring my credit because I had a creditor call me about cable TV that was unpaid in an area in California that I had never lived in.

Anyway, I realized that Caliber has our loan listed as IN PRE-FORECLOSURE! WHAT! We are paying our loan as they set it up and they have never sent us one letter stating that they are just taking our money and lying to us! This is the most absurd thing I have ever encountered. We should be in good standing. So I called Caliber, and got the automated stuff, which informed me we have not made a payment since August 2013! We weren't even that far behind on our original loan with our original loan holder. Where did they get that from and what about the payments we have already made to them under the loan modification we have with them? I am talking to a lawyer because I smell something a little hinky here and I am not paying a mortgage for it to be reported as in Pre-FORECLOSURE on my credit.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 29, 2015

Worked here for a few months, and I do not believe they are committing fraud, but the company's business practices are highly unethical. Left this place as soon as possible. Scary that Caliber Home Loans (aka Vericrest) is now lending across the US. I expect this company to have higher rates of default & foreclosure than any other mortgage company.

Original review: March 27, 2015

Our mother passed away on January 21, 2014. At that time she owned a home she purchased in March 2013 that was subject to a mortgage that had been sold to Caliber in July 2013. When she passed away, we notified the mortgage company that she had passed and we were not setting up an estate, per advice of council, and were not going to be keeping the home. Since that notification, I received numerous calls and letters regarding the past due balance accruing on her note. Despite my continued insistence that I did not own the home or was a party to the mortgage, the calls and letters continued.

Finally, I received notice from an attorney who was soliciting my business as I was being sued by Caliber. Calls to Caliber were an exercise in complete futility. They were rude, they were hostile, they were unprofessional. They would not transfer me to the legal department I was told to ask for. The phone number they gave was for a disconnected number. They hung up on me. They had no supervisor to talk to and would not speak to me about the matter as I wasn't on the mortgage, even though I was calling about the lawsuit, not the mortgage. Ultimately, calling the attorney of record quickly cleared up the problem. A problem that Caliber should have cleared up themselves rather than requiring us to track down the attorney. I have never encountered a less professional, ruder, more antagonist group of people in my life. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: March 17, 2015

I am overwhelmed beyond belief. From this way, this company has been nothing but disorganized and irresponsible. When Caliber took mortgage over, they sent me a letter that stated my payments would be automatically deducted as I had it set up with my previous mortgage company. Then I receive a letter stating my payment was late. I then had to get medical treatment and had unexpected car expenses so I fell behind. I made a payment arrangement. I submitted an online payment for which I received payment confirmation. They then tell me that was "not supposed to happen" and I was then not allowed to make payment as I fell too behind and it seemed as if I didn't keep the payment agreement.

I submitted a loan modification on Dec. 4 for which they stated in Jan. that they had not received. I had to then submit the application again and till this day has not been processed. I submitted documentation as requested and it has not yet been processed. I am now about to lose my home for which I worked so hard to purchase. I want out of Caliber. I don't want to lose my home.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Our mortgage was assigned or transferred to Caliber Home Loans from Beneficial. Apparently the last payment we had made to Beneficial was not credited to Caliber in a timely manner. We started receiving notices of pending foreclosure action for one late payment! When I spoke to Caliber, they told me Beneficial had up to 60 DAYS to post our last payment. (We did have some late fees with Beneficial, however those fees are not foreclosable.) I made the current payment to Caliber online, however apparently their website was not working and the payment was not credited. Consequently, the payment was made at a later date by phone, and at that point it was delinquent. Even though I have a confirmation of the online payment, Caliber has NO record of receiving it.

I started receiving registered mail packages regarding the Loss Mitigation paper work and foreclosure proceedings packet on a weekly basis and daily phone calls. They would arrive as TWO registered mail packages, one for both myself and my husband, and TWO regular mail packages, one for each of us. I had told them that I needed to review my financial situation and would make up the late fees as soon as possible, and could they please stop calling me daily and stop with the mailings, as I had 8 packets at that point. I was told that I was on some kind of automatic dial list and they really had no control over it. There were no notes to indicate that I had called them or spoke to one of their representatives. I know for a fact that they cannot initiate foreclosure proceedings due to ONE late payment and fees. Their tactics border on harassment, both by mail and phone. I am working to switch to ANY other finance company!

Original review: March 4, 2015

Recently I have applied for a home loan through FHA to try to obtain a loan for a house. To my surprise the loan officer told me that I wouldn't have a problem until he saw that I was in Foreclosure with Caliber Homes (formerly Vericrest). WHAT?????? He said if I contacted them to see what was going on and they could correct this mistake and report it to the credit bureaus, then we could proceed. Well I contacted them and the lady at Caliber said that it was a payment I had missed 8 years ago? I remember this payment well. I talked to then Vericrest because I was going through some hard times and she said, "No problem.... Since you have been such a loyal customer.. this is what we can do. We can put that payment on the end of your note." I said great! Well back to my story. I told Caliber what I had done through Vericrest and she said she couldn't find record of that?????

So, long story short. She told me that I would have to pay $786. 00 to bring my account current. My monthly payment is only $223.00 a month. She said It was late fees??? So I was like ok.... I will pay by check over the phone to bring my account current... (Whatever) and she would immediately contact all credit reporting bureaus so that I could proceed with my FHA home loan because the mobile home that I'm living in that they financed and that they were attempting to "Foreclose" on without any warning, letter, etc. is falling in and is damn near unlivable!! Well, she took my money alright but NEVER CLEARED UP SQUAT! So here I am in the worst pickle ever! I don't know what to do!! Another thing that is minor compared to this.... I never receive a mortgage statement! I may receive one out of six months. So I have saved their payment address and send them one without a statement each month!! Please help, I'm at my wit's end here!

Original review: March 4, 2015

I made several payments to BofA and gave Caliber proof showing paid. Stupid bank still see it and they lied about giving me a loan modification. Don't trust this bank. I am going to sue Caliber and BofA. Terrible mortgage banks.

Original review: March 3, 2015

On Jan. 9, 2015, a family member who works as a senior loan officer highly recommended a mortgage company titled Caliber Home Loans. On the same day I applied for a mortgage. On February 27, 2015 the mortgage was still not approved after submitting over a hundred legal papers one day at time. During the process the Sr. Loan Officer stated over the phone to me two times first in the beginning of February and on Feb 27 "Congratulations. The loan has been approved." These were lies because after I paid $1000 processing fee, $2,000 for 2 cancelled closings, and $1,000 to insure the house I wanted to buy, I was told that more paper work was needed. Thank God I took my losses of over $5,000 before getting a loan or future foreclosure from Caliber Home Loans.

I later called Regions Mortgage and within 3 days they honestly told me that presently I cannot get a mortgage. Regions Mortgage didn't cost me any money loss or loss of time. CALIBER HOME LOANS COST ME A WASTE OF OVER $5,000 dollars and endless hours of paper work that never should have occurred. Fortunately I pulled out in time and never received the mortgage from Caliber Home Loans which would have turned into a nightmare after I read the hundreds of horrible and scary reviews written about Caliber Home Loans. I am going to write to consumer financial protection bureau, the attorney general of Florida and talk to a lawyer to sue them. I would have checked the company before but the person who suckered me into this was a family member who I trusted.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My loan was switched over from HSBC to Caliber. I had a loan modification setup with them and then all of a sudden, I got a letter saying my loan was switched over to Caliber. I started paying them what I was paying HSBC and said I needed to turn in all my documents over to them for a loan modification through them. I turned it all in but they always had an excuse to why they couldn't give me a loan modifications. They had no problem cashing my checks but not applying them to my account, then all of a sudden I got papers sent my house saying they were foreclosing on my home. Just like somebody else had stated, it was through US Bank Trustee. I now have a Chapter 13 hearing on March 12th and they're saying I owe them 15,000. Doing the math, I should only 8,000.

They've been horrible to work with, they don't care about anything you have to say and anything you call them out on. I just sent my lawyer over all this other info I'm seeing on this page but if he can't do anything, does anybody know the necessary steps I need to take? We need to do something about this. I'm going to report this to as many resources I can.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

Filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 05-12775, was with Beneficial now serving transferred to Caliber Loans. So the mortgage hasn't been reported since the chapter 7 discharge and I checked my credit report yesterday, it shows we have a mortgage with Caliber. It needs to come off right now!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My wife and I had separated and I had moved to another state. The bank is up foreclosing on the home. Several months later I received a letter from Caliber Home Loans that I need to pay taxes on the house and catch up on the mortgage payments which sounded very suspicious. I had talked with a Lawyer in that city and there was no way I could obtain the house even if I wanted it back. And now they are reporting that false information on my credit report. The only reason they have not sent a foreclosure letter is because there is no house.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

My mortgage was sold from HFC. I had modified my loan because I was given a 10.8% interest rate. When thing went bad I lost my job, my husband lost his and I got an extremely high interest rate. So Caliber takes my loan. I tried communicating with them I was not able to keep up with payment so high. So I get this letter from a lawyer stating my house was in foreclosure and a sale date was for February 6 2015. I call and tell them I send paperwork to try for some help modification something, I lived in my house for 18 years and I really didn't want to lose my home. I begged to reduce my interest rate and I would be able to make my payment.

So I do all the documents I suppose to get, send it in, they say they never received it please send again I do fax email overnight it. They say no, now we in late Dec and I am panicked they trying to take my home. So by January 29, 2015 I got a modification but it only lasts 5 years and then the interest rate will be 10.8% again. I hope to get back on track and find a different company!! But just wanted to say those people do not care if you lose your home all they want is the all mighty dollar. I have a special needs child to take care of and can't do that if I have no home or money to feed and clothe him because they want my money.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2015

I just found out these people have me making 14 late payments to them they just purchased verifies the financial I have never been late. I have a modification for two years. Is that what the help is? They help and destroy your credit in the process. These people are more disorganized than Vericrest. They tried to tell me that I had missed a payment 3 years later and when they asked for proof I gave them bank statements. But they kept changing the date every time.

I spent two years trying to satisfy them so to get rid of me they gave me a modification and never asked me for no more bank statements. I think there is something very wrong inside that company. They are committing fraud and trying to scam people for money. I supplied them more than 24 statements of payments and they would respond by saying it was the month before. Finally we were at the date of financing so modification came to play so I forget the matter. Now 14 late payments out of nowhere. I need help to fight with this people. My credit was 748. Today I found it at 698. In one month this changed just like that.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

I will keep this short but our experience with Caliber was nothing short of insanity. If I explained everything that we went through it would take too long and be so unbelievable that no one would finish reading this post; so here's the abbreviated version:

For over 13 months we requested that Caliber stop sending monthly home loan statements via USPS and instead send them via email which they offered. We requested this due to less than reliable postal service as well as receiving partial statements on occasions which lead us to believe that the rest of our statement was potentially included with someone else's mailed statements thus leaving us vulnerable to identity theft or fraud.

After repeated phone calls to the only number available on their website, faxed requests (none of which Caliber ever admitted receiving) and numerous emails to stop sending the hard copy statements we STILL continued to receive mailed monthly statements. And Caliber's response was always the same... they insisted that we were wrong as their records showed we receive emailed statements not mailed statements. All this despite me offering to show them the very statement I just received in the mail!

Despite countless requests to speak with supervisors we were never allowed to speak with anyone at a higher pay grade than the gum chewing, drink slurping, script reading robots that answer the Customer Service phone lines. Only after telling Caliber that we were considering legal action did we have our complaint submitted to their "customer complaint escalation dept" which yielded a cursory form letter stating that their records showed we received emailed statements and not mailed statements. It's worth noting that this mailed response came within 2 days of us receiving yet another mailed statement. (they should have just saved the extra postage and mailed the letter stating that we weren't receiving statements with the statement. Like I said: insanity)

The letter did offer a name of a manager and her direct phone number. Since I received this letter within days of receiving another statement I called her... and called her .... and called her. She never returned my phone calls but rather her "assistant" did finally call back only to say that they were looking into the matter and would return my phone call next month to see if I was continuing to receive statements. Needless to say that never happened.

At the 16th month mark we had had enough and I decided to contact CFPB- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. After filing my complaint they forwarded my complaint to the Federal agency that has jurisdiction over lending institutions like Caliber (I believe in my case it was The Federal Trade Commission). After the feds received my complaint they then filed a formal complaint with Caliber in which they demanded a written explanation and responsive action outlining how Caliber was going to resolve the complaint. Caliber had about 2 weeks to respond back to the feds who then forwarded Caliber's response to me; at which time I could accept the response and solution or I could refute it. Apparently this action got Caliber's attention because they actually responded. I must say I was doubtful that these people would even respond to the feds since they had been so incompetent for 15 months prior. Frankly, I didn't think they had the intellect to understand how serious this had become. To my surprise this action finally got them to put down their Doritos and act.

Caliber's response (in my opinion) was so inept and offered more questions than answers so much so that it revealed a scary view of the incompetence at even a higher position level. Unbelievably, as this response was being sent to the feds we received our monthly mailed statement!!!

However the following month we stopped receiving the statements but to date have never received an email statement. Oh well at least its a 50% improvement.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

I have just finished reading the previous statements. It all sound so very like what I'm going through. No "welcoming package", no way to contact anyone at Caliber, no email response, and etc. I have no way of contacting anyone at this company! How can I get their attention? I would like to know the terms of my loan and so on.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

Caliber Home Loans has the worst customer service that I've ever dealt with!! Spent 45 minutes trying to contact a customer service representative and of course no luck. If your mortgage gets sold to this crap hole company do yourself a favor and refinance elsewhere... Unfortunately I had to give them a 1 star. They don't even deserve that!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

Caliber bought my loan from HFC in June. By Sept they were filing for foreclosure of my home. They never sent default paperwork. I was behind in my payments. I applied to Florida's Hardest Hit program and was approved for $18,000. When they called Caliber, they rejected the offer. Both myself and the woman at the program were surprised. When I told this to my son, he sent me the report from Consumer Affairs and that I needed to sue them. I am saddened to think how many homes they may have already taken from people. I am praying for guidance for my next step(s) against losing my home to these unscrupulous companies/lawyers.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

On December 1, 2014 our office wired out through an Attorney IOTA Trust account a payoff that was good through December 4, 2014. Caliber Home Loans returned the wire saying we had information on the wrong lines…??? We did not learn of this until Friday, the 5th of December, wherein we IMMEDIATELY wired out the payoff NOW WITH ADDITIONAL INTEREST for the one day since we had paid it early on the first and the BORROWER would have been entitled to a refund of the extra interest money. On the 16th of December the client who sold her home through our office called to inform me that Caliber Home Loans had taken another mortgage payment from her bank account and was stressed that she was not expecting this to happen since we had wired out the funds to Caliber Home Loans on the 1st immediately after the closing of the sale of her home. I immediately contacted Caliber Home Loans who has the CRAZIEST phone system you could ever believe - if you don't punch in the exactly correct number it hangs up on you - extremely exasperating and this happens every single time.

On the 16th when I FINALLY got through to a person - JANE TELLER ID **, I was told she could not talk to me as they had to have a Third Party Authorization. I explained to her that I provided that when the payoff statement was requested back on the 18th of November 2014. She said they did not have in the file and could I get the BORROWER on the phone, which I could not. So I faxed another Third Party Authorization to Caliber Homes Loans so they would speak with me regarding this LOST PAYOFF of over $142,000.00!!! On the 17th of December I called Caliber Home Loans back at 11:10 am EST and was told that the Third Party Authorization had not yet been uploaded to the system so they still could not speak with me. I immediately called the BORROWER, who called them again to give her permission again to speak with me, she called me back to tell me that they now had the Third Party Authorization and I could call back.

I called back on the 17th of Dec at 3:40 pm EST and spoke with QUIDA TELLER ID ** who said yes they did have the Third Party Authorization now and she would look into the matter of this missing money and that she would get this to an ESCALATION MANAGER and call me back with an answer. No call back was received. On December 18, 2014 I called Caliber Home Loans and spoke with LISA TELLER ID ** and again went through the whole story and explanation of WHY I WAS HAVING TO CALL and that I had not received a callback from QUIDA as she promised. LISA then said she would send an email to QUIDA to have her call me back. No call back from anyone. On December 19, 2014 at 10:24 am EST I called Caliber Home Loans and spoke with RON TELLER ID **, who said he would get this matter to an ESCALATION MGMT TEAM, wherein I informed him that QUIDA was supposed to have already done that per her promise in my prior phone call. I asked to actually SPEAK WITH THE ESCALATION MANAGEMENT team and was put on hold. After some time TRACY TELLER ID **, with the escalation management team came on the line and said she had JUST RECEIVED the information from my fax of the 17th providing proof of wire out and payoff statement and that she would research the matter.

I explained to her that TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE and days are continuing to count down and they have not posted monies received to the BORROWER'S account that had been paid off and had taken more money from her bank account and that we were 14 days past the date of originally wiring out funds and no one seemed to be bothered by that so I told her I thought this was bordering on theft and that we needed an answer as to what happened to the moneys. She put me on hold and I waited for 6 minutes, when she returned to the line she said she was working with a VICE PRESIDENT now to research the matter and would call me back within 30 minutes.

Thirty minutes have now passed and no resolution. I cannot believe that this company has lost a wired in payoff or they are using it to their benefit without providing closure for the BORROWER. This also has caused a problem now for the new Buyer of the property that was the subject of this sale closing. Now the NEW BUYER wishes to obtain a Home Equity Line of Credit against the property and she is being barred from doing this because we can get NO RESOLUTION FROM CALIBER HOMES LOANS.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

Well I received a letter today 12/8/14 stating that there is a late charge of $25.00 due to an insufficient funds in my bank account when indeed there was more than enough fund in there. There was also an extra charge of $15.00 separately that was shown taken out the same day my usual monthly payment was taken out 12/1/14. I didn't think much about that $15.00 since part of me thought maybe it's a fee they charge yearly since it's the end of the year. I called them today to inquire about this charge of $25.00 and the lady who spoke with me took forever to find out what the problem was, then came back with a lie saying that I didn't have enough funds on the account. I assured her that I have it right in front of me showing on my bank statement that there was more than enough fund and it was left untouched until the day they took it out!

She put me on hold again forever and still came back with the lame excuse of a lie. Then she kept telling me I need to call back my bank like I'm a fool. It's obvious the bank will tell me that there was enough fund so it shouldn't have been a problem! That's when I started smelling something fishy so I went ahead and questioned about the other $15.00 that was shown as a fee. She told me that it was a fee for when I called over the phone to make a payment on 11/28/14. All of a sudden I started freaking out thinking to myself, oh Lord, what loan company am I dealing with now?

I'm starting to see and understand why many home owners are left homeless! This is ridiculous because I've never ever called Caliber over the phone regarding my payments since the beginning of my loan that was starting April of this year. I've signed up online and did everything through online ever since to make sure I'm always on time worried that error like these will appear. Anyway so I asked to speak with a supervisor but was told he/she was too busy assisting another customer (I assume another complaint perhaps)? Everyone needs to know the truth! Caliber Home Loans is a FRAUD!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

Caliber took over my mortgage in April. They lost the first payment, then they still didn't have accurate info in the computer. I set up a payment arrangement until the lost payment appeared and overcharged my bank. I filed a modification and they denied it. Every time you call there you get a different person who tell you different information, you can never get a call back. I was never able to speak to the modification department. They now have me placed in foreclosure!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

Caliber bought my mortgage. I was going through a modification and it had been approved by previous servicer. New agreement was signed and first payment had been made. Then caliber claimed they never received it. I called previous servicer and they assured me it was sent with my file. I emailed it and faxed my copy and they kept insisting they didn't receive it. Then finally, one day, someone told me they received my copy but wouldn't accept it. They said that was the agreement I made with the previous servicer not with them and said I'll have to start over. I have filled out the new mid forms twice and emailed to the address they instructed and faxed it as well and it's been a month and they still claim they haven't received it. One representative told me they have 10’s of thousands of people sending them paperwork and that they don't have time to look for mine specifically and then she hung up on me. I've never dealt with a company this awful. I've decided if they still claim to not have the information I sent them in another few weeks I'm going to my attorney. This is just completely ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

Caliber didn't pay my homeowners insurance from my escrow account. So they put their own lenders insurance on my account that is 3x more, without informing me. So now my monthly payment is $450 more a month.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information