4.3/5 (204 ratings)

About Caliber Home Loans

Caliber Home Loans offers conventional mortgages, government home loans and refinancing options. The company’s services are available nationwide, and it prioritizes financial education by providing free resources on homebuying and lending on its website. Caliber Home Loans has a minimum credit score requirement of 620 for all applicants.

Pros

• Nationwide loan consultants
  • Provides educational resources
  • Offers FHA, USDA and VA home loans

Cons

• Loan rates not available online
  • Minimum credit score of 620

Bottom Line

Caliber Home Loans is a good choice for homebuyers with a credit score above 620. Its wealth of loan and refinancing options are ideal for buyers interested in putting down less upfront or lowering their monthly payment.

Caliber Home Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2015

The whole process was good, just at the end at the closing appt, the person in charge of releasing the keys didn't receive authorization to hand them over until she received an email. We were there for about 4 hours waiting.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

All I could think of during the whole process is you're guilty until proven innocent. A very madding process. Every step they think you're lying and should be in jail. Never again!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I highly recommend Candace ** in Port Hadlock, WA as a loan officer. She was a pleasure to work with during the process of purchasing our vacation home. Extremely professional and thoroughly organized while showing great patience throughout the weeks before closing.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

Keane **'s team was amazing to work with! Thank you for always answering my questions and for keeping me updated throughout the process. I would (and have) recommend you to family and friends. You guys are wonderful and I appreciate you very much. :)

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

Miss ** and her associates were patient and involved through the entire process from searching to closing. Me and my family are satisfied and thankful.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

My experience with Caliber Home Loans was topnotch. Lucy and her team including Abigail and Shannon were attentive and honest the entire time. I would highly recommend Caliber Home Loans and Lucy! Simply the best!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2015

I am very pleased with the service that I received from Caliber Home Loans, who went the extra mile in getting my loan approved and me in the house in less than a month. As with most home loans, a few issues developed along the way during the buying process, all of which were dealt with in a timely manner by Caliber. Seriously, I cannot have been more pleased.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

I was very pleased with the way Caliber Loans got me this house. Cory the broker made it all happen in a short period of time. I would recommend them to someone else for sure.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

The agent I worked with was very incompetent. She was late getting the information I needed. She answered my questions incorrectly. The closing was far from smooth. The paperwork wasn't complete and we waited for hours to have the paperwork completed. After the closing, there was additional information required by the Law Firm. And my agent again provided me incorrect information which delayed my getting the right information to the Law Firm. If nothing changes, I will never use these services again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

When Chase Mortgage transferred the servicing of my mortgage to Caliber Home Loans, I was in the final process of my modification application. All of my documents were at Chase & appraisal was completed. When Caliber took over the servicing of the loan, they disregarded the complete modification/loss mitigation package that Chase transferred to them and proceeded to file a foreclosure date for a sale of my home. I called them and they said they did not have the documents from Chase (which the legal dept. at Chase states otherwise). Chase stated, "We send all of your complete loan modification to Caliber, and they should have put them in underwriting and given you a written decision of acceptance or rejection and all your appeal rights." Instead, Caliber ignored my documents. I quickly worked day and night to send all my loss mitIgation documents to Caliber; however, they said it was too late to get them into their system.

I called and spoke with at least 12 different representatives, emailed, faxed with detailed precision. Yet, they were like a stone wall and foreclosed on my home 2 days ago (9-21-2015). It is incredible that such a disregard for all the provisions for homeowners were totally blatantly ignored; and like thieves in the night, they took my home. It is truly amazing. You have to wonder as well about the credibility of the mortgage owners who allow Caliber to be servicers - they should be under federal regulators' and consumer advocates' scrutiny and closed down permanently.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

We found a home that we were interested in and it was owned by Caliber Home Loans. We made an offer with a contingency of selling our home. They rejected, no contingency. We understood this, no problems. Our home sold. We made an offer. They took 4 days to respond, only to counter. To be expected, but it was unreasonable, in that it is a complete "FIXER" and they countered our price and they lowered the inspection days from 15 to 5. We couldn't even get electricity on because it has been off for over a year, and needed to be inspected by county, but needed to be done by Owner, Caliber. They refused to have it turned on. We countered again agreeing to most except changed 10 days to inspect without electricity. We were told that there was another offer on the table. Caliber countered back accepting 10 days, and some other changes.

We accepted their final counter. No answer for 4 days, then we were told they turned down the other offer. ONLY TO BE TOLD THE NEXT DAY, THEY MADE A MISTAKE, AND IT WAS OUR OFFER THEY TURNED DOWN. This was all done under "GOOD FAITH" HA!! Caliber Bank doesn't know the concept of "GOOD FAITH". And I was considered using them to finance the home, so they could keep the business, and recoup their losses, on the foreclosure. That's what I consider "good faith"!!! Negotiating with Caliber Home Loans put so much stress on me I ended up in the Hospital with a sudden increase and an extremely High Blood Pressure, which I normally had low blood pressure. Don't risk your health dealing with this company... They only want to get as much money out of you as they can. They don't care about anyone else but themselves!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

Pre-approved for a jumbo loan. Our debt to income ratio is nothing. We had a short sale over 3 years ago and provided an explanation for that. Credit is good. Then they call us the day before we are to close and tell us they changed their mind and will not give us the loan. Not only did they mess me and my family's life up they messed up the life of the sellers as they had already moved out. Caliber doesn't care about their clients. They take forever to do anything, and their customer service is horrible. Please avoid them. We immediately went to a local lender and was pre-approved, cleared underwriting, and closed on home in less than 3 weeks.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

If I could have given less than one star, I would have. My husband and I applied for a refi on an investment property that we owned free and clear. We started this process in early MAY and had been told numerous times that the loan was approved, we had the approval disclosure from the lender and we were told that we would be closing in 20-25 days. When we would inquire about the closing delay, we were reassured that everything was fine but we were given excuse after excuse for the delay.

We were reassured and we went ahead and had some renovations completed at our home, because we were under the impression that our loan would be closing in a week to two weeks. After we are out all of these expenses for renovations, we are now being told that the loan won't go through. We are devastated, we are now on the hook for all of these funds and we have been hung out to dry. This company and the loan officer ** are unethical and operating illegally. We were lied to over and over and over again. Please beware and do not trust anything you are told.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

I obtained a VA loan with Caliber Home Loans in February of 2014. The experience was very good. While there is a lot of documentation needed for a new loan these days, Caliber made that experience as seamless as possible. Since they began servicing my loan, I haven't had any issues at all. We make our payment each month on the first using bank transfer (bill pay function), receive an easy to read statement, and have had zero issues with them. Great experience!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

Beware of this company. If you have a mortgage and find out your account has been sold out to them, get busy and refinance with another company. These people are legal thieves and will do anything they can to try to get your home. Do not believe nothing they tell you via phone, they lose faxes and documentations they receive, they will lie to endless points to try to foreclose and try to get your home. If you read their reviews you will understand how they operate. They will send inspectors to your home and then after they realize it is worth their time, they will go to all steps, ethical or illegal to foreclose on your home.

If you get one month late, no matter if you call and let them know a payment is on its way, they will begin a foreclosure status. I do feel sorry for anyone that goes to their mailboxes and gets a letter noting their mortgage has been sold to this company. Their left hand does not know what their right hand is doing. They lose your faxes but will lie to no boundaries. Their CEO's information, phone numbers and email contacts are bogus. They are NOT locatable. This is one bad company to deal with for the next 30 years of your life. Beware if by all means possible!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

We refinanced our primary home about 2 yrs. ago with Caliber. They were very friendly but closing was delayed, then when we went to sign on our the rental, we're informed that instead of the 3.25% on main home, the rate was 5.25% on a rental. We received notice that they had sold the loan then in July, received a notice that we were short over $1,000 in the escrow account for the rental home. If we would pay now, our payment would only go up about $130 but if not, it would jump up an additional $225 a month. No advance warning about the % jump at closing or the escrow insufficiency. Not happy with the company. Next time we will use our credit union again like we did for our first mortgage.

Original review: July 16, 2015

I received a letter from my county threatening a lien on my home because Caliber failed to pay the taxes from my escrow account. I attempted to call Caliber twice and waited on hold for 45+ minutes each time and gave up. I found an email option and decided to try this. I received a reply simply stating that an insufficient amount of money was sent to the county more than 2 months late. I replied to the email stating that the amount they sent was incorrect. I, again, received a generic template response that the incorrect amount was sent to the county 2 months late.

I consulted a lawyer (at my own cost) to advise me on what I needed to do to protect myself from Caliber's error. I did not want a lien on my home due to Caliber's mistake and incompetent communication. I was advised to check directly with the county as Caliber seemed incapable of providing the necessary information. Finally 76 days after the taxes were due, the county website showed the taxes were paid in full. All Caliber needed to do was to state: 1) Yes it is our fault the taxes were paid late; 2) The original amount owed is being paid in full; 3) Caliber is covering the extra fees and interest. Their inability to send this extraordinarily simple message is inexcusable. I have never missed a mortgage payment and I've paid my mortgage on time every month.

Original review: July 9, 2015

I was contacted today July 8th at 1pm at work. I never received a phone call at home or on my cell phone prior to this. I am not able to have personal calls at work. I do not have my phone on and I worked 11hrs today. I do check my phone at lunch for messages. My boss answered the phone and said I had a call and inferred the person on the phone was not happy. When I answered the phone I immediately informed the woman I was at work. She didn't care then I started to get worried and asked her if it was important because I was at work and had a patient. She said it was extremely important and I was 8 days late on my house payment and wanted to know why and right now. Also do I need financial assistance. I advised her I do get paid tomorrow and would pay it then. Again I told her I was at work and she said. I KNOW. She then wanted to know why I was late. The reason for it? I explained I was ill and am running late due to illness.

Meanwhile people at work are within earshot. I have patients waiting. She was rude. I told her at least 5 times I was at work and told her to never ever call me at work again to use my cell phone. She said she would make a note of it. The really ironic thing about this is I referred my boss and two other friends to them in the last 6 months. My boss closed with them less than a week ago. She asked me who called and I told her because I was so upset. She then said what did we get ourselves into meeting them. I can lose my job over this and they could've just called my cell and left a message but this is so much more dramatic and cruel. The person that called loved her job though. Not a fan of hardcore pressure for 8-day late payment. I know I'm late. Finally catching up on bills after heart issues then this.

Original review: July 7, 2015

My dad has a loan that got sold to Caliber Home Loans in June of 2014. Since then they have no payment history even though checks are cashed every month from my account. They sent no notices, just yesterday got a letter for foreclosure on July 23, 2015. All payments have been made, we are getting a lawyer. This company is a scam and liars. I have all the checks they cashed. Now they say if he pays 18,000 and more for lawyer fees he will be current.

I don't know what to do about this, can anyone help and who can I contact here in Virginia to help me please. They have also taken more money from my checking account without me knowing. All I do is write a check every month to them. That is fraud. My bank is getting involved because of the money they have stolen from me but it seems they ca the best touched. The mortgage my dad got is not a property that was left, you never got him. So how did Beneficial even give him a loan? Fraud there, too.

Original review: July 1, 2015

My loan was held by HSBC. They modified and we made one maybe two payments and then we became Caliber Home Loans new customers. They refused to abide by the modification that was in place when they purchased the loan. It was set up for two years with the extra above the payment to go into escrow to pay for the taxes and insurance. They insisted that they did not have such a contract that I would have to buy my own insurance and if they carried it the payment would go up from $1000.00 a year to $3000.00. They also refused my payment and sent the check back. They told me I could modify the loan. So we began the process a year ago with Caliber telling me such lies as we did not receive the paperwork or, "send us this now because what you sent us was not sufficient".

I have sent everything that they have asked for. Now I have not heard whether or not if I will get that modification (more than likely NOT). Now as of late there has been a process server sniffing around my neighborhood. So I guess they have decided to foreclose with no warning or notice. This is by far the worst company for loans or customer service as when you do call no one knows what is going on and everyone always has a different answer. I am hoping that there may be someone out there that can help as we have no where to live. Thanks in advance.

Original review: June 26, 2015

On 6/19/2015 I applied for pre-approval loan through Caliber loan. They said this is the only way I can bid or purchase this property (**). They rejected me, said I had 1 payment over 60 days in 2014, but I was approve by CitiBank on 6/19/2015. My credit score was 720. They will not return my calls or send me a letter explaining why? Still waiting 6/26/2015.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Caliber Home Loans foreclosed on my home in the modification phase. Was denied modification because they said they didn't get the package until the day of the sale. After asking them to send me all of the faxes they had the complete package two week before the sale.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I bill pay my mortgage to Caliber Home Loans and always pay more than what is due. On my latest statement, they didn't apply any of my payment to the loan, as I was so far ahead on my payments. They put the money in an "Unapplied" status and did not reduce the amount of my mortgage. They have done this 3 times this year. Being as interest on a mortgage is added daily, I have been overcharged interest. My mortgage balance has remained the same, even though I pay ahead of time. I spoke with them on the phone and they said they would "Make a note of it". That does not pay the extra interest off. Also, my mortgage was sold to them as Vericrest Financial. This put a negative on my credit score, as Vericrest was a company that lowered your score if you got a loan thru them. In my case, I did nothing as the mortgage was sold to them. Thank you.

Original review: June 7, 2015

We started shopping for a home early winter 2014. We identified a home we liked and made and offer in June 2014. Our agents broker told us they are working with a new lender that promises to close in 30 days for less and the entire process is electronic. I have A+++ credit and it took them over 90 days to close. We missed our rate lock 3 times and they kept saying they could not verify my employment. My employer and HR Vice President did not get an authorization until the 83rd day to complete. Further, once the loan finally closed, they told us they made a major mistake on the good faith estimate and needed additional funds to close. They insisted I must have PMI when we put more than $100k down and the requirement was only $70k.

In Jan 2015 I had my credit ran and was advise I has a Mortgage Collection Account for $886,000 on my credit. I said "That's odd," since my mortgage is around that amount. Later to find out they broadcast on the credit reports as a "collection company". I have spent the last 4 months of my life dealing with the worst customer service and most unprofessional people I have ever had to deal with. It's been a very bad experience. By the way, I'm still dealing with PMI's they won't remove and my home is now valued in the millions!

Original review: June 5, 2015

I called today, spoke with agent ** and ask for my monthly statement and the agent said there is a cease and desist on your account. Explained that my attorney sent out a letter back in January requesting to resume sending monthly statements. He said never received and requesting to send by fax to **. Since I was on my break I was unable to verify, but later I see that the attorney used the same fax number and also received confirmation that on January 19 2015 at 10:15 am the fax was received. Their procedures.

Original review: June 1, 2015

My house was in pre-foreclosure and I was working with Chase who held my mortgage for a loan modification, when Chase abruptly sold my loan to Caliber, Chase had requested a postponement but the attorneys couldn't do it without calibers approval. My house was set to auction 7 days after they acquired it, but it could take up to 10 days for me to get in their system, which means I almost lost my home because I wasn't in their computer. The foreclosure attorney made the decision to postpone it due to the situation. I was initially going to do a loan modification with Caliber and they postponed it again. 3 weeks ago I made the decision to sell my home, I called Caliber and informed them they could stop the modification process as I intended to sell. My sell date is June 10th. No one told me anything other than that's fine. So I hired a crew and we cleaned out the house and put it on the market a week ago.

I called today to tell them I would be having a signed contract this week for the sale, and was informed it's too late the house will be auctioned off, even though I would have a signed contract, they will auction the house off for less than the mortgage rather than wait 17 days to get the full mortgage plus quite a bit as the prices in my neighborhood have skyrocketed. The house is worth about $80k more than the mortgage. All I was told is "it's company policy." I asked why I wasn't informed of this when I called to stop the modification, all I basically got was an "oops."

So I have people who are to get paid at closing, because they didn't tell me there was nothing I could do. So I worked getting the house ready for sale, which I will have a signed contract by Wednesday. House in my neighborhood are selling fast. Yet their policy is to let it go to auction get less than the mortgage instead of waiting 17-20 days and getting the full mortgage. There is no way to contact the corporate office. You just rolled back to their customer service. This makes no business sense at all for either of us.

Original review: May 28, 2015

Since they took over my loan from Chase my taxes have not been paid since November. I have been sending them the info for 6 months and finally in May I get someone in Customer NO Service and they said it would be taken care of in 2 weeks. SO I call today and nothing has been done. So they tell me to just check back on line in two more weeks.. My taxes are now 6 months over due and I have no confidence it will be corrected then.. And I am sure they will hit my account for the late fees when it was Chase or their fault.

Original review: May 21, 2015

I recently refinanced, and they got the loan. The website looks to be about 15 years old. Minimalism is nice, but it should still be modern, and it is not. I tried to set up automatic payments, and it required the printing of a form and faxing it. I can't tell you the last time something asked me to do that. Instead, I set up a push from my bank instead.

Today, I received a letter from my insurance company warning me that my insurance will be cancelled if not paid by the end of this month. I jumped on the website, and saw that a payment is scheduled in time, but it is too close for comfort. Also, the amount they're to pay is short by $1. I don't know if the insurance company would be as understanding about that as I would be. So, I tried calling. I navigated a convoluted IVR system that apparently has no reasonable way of reaching an actual person. In the process, I heard that they did make a payment today for the full amount (including the missing dollar).

There are two discrepancies between the website and the phone: payment status and payment amount. I went back to the website and sent a brief message using the proper categories to determine the cause of the discrepancies and to make sure that it actually was paid. To their credit, they responded pretty quickly, but simply advised me to call the phone number again (even though my email stated I was unable to reach a person via the phone number). They are really antiquated with their website, phone, and processes. It's embarrassing. I can only hope that the payment is actually made and that I don't have to deal with them often.

Original review: May 18, 2015

I tried to refinance my mortgage and used the appraisal company they informed me I had to use. The appraisal came back with numerous inaccuracies in which I responded and produced proper documentation for the property. The appraisal company updated their value. Caliber Home Loans refused the appraisal and told me we had to have yet another appraisal completed by another company of their choice. The 3rd appraisal came back higher than the second, however the rate lock had expired and we lost the rate. The entire experience took too long at the fault of their own guidelines.

Original review: May 10, 2015

I've just finished reading several recent complaints about Caliber Home Loans and wanted to share my experience and how I resolved my problem. I've had a mortgage with them for less than two years. I have paid additional principal since the beginning of the loan and clearly marked it as such. They consistently applied most of the extra funds to principal. At first, I thought it was a simple error that would quickly be corrected when I pointed it out. But no matter how often I called the Customer "Service" Department, nobody could help me. One very sweet representative told me that "the interest keeps chopping down" over time but did not have the ability to discuss actual facts and figures. Requests to speak to a supervisor went unanswered. My balance was corrected at times but then the same problem would happen again.

In frustration, I submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau in Oklahoma City. At first, the results were disappointing. Caliber stuck to their guns and denied any wrongdoing. But after that, my principal balance was corrected and I have not had any other instances of additional principal funds being diverted to interest. At first, I had assumed the mistakes were a result of incompetence. After my experience, it seemed more like a deliberate pattern of misusing funds because they have been getting it right ever since I submitted my complaint to the BBB. Of course, I don't know that for sure. But my recommendation is to track your extra principal funds very carefully and make sure that your balance is correct. I've had several mortgages with Wells Fargo and their balance has never been different from my calculations by more than a penny or two. It's not asking too much for Caliber to be able to do the same.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information