Call toll free
4.62/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Caliber Home Loans, Inc. is a privately held, full service national mortgage lender headquartered in Irving, TX.

The company originates loans through various channels and transaction types, and since its inception, grown its mortgage production volume while growing its servicing portfolio to over $75 billion.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2581 Caliber Home Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We applied for a mortgage through Caliber who was recommended by our builder. We were preapproved for a 30 year loan and 5 days before we closed were told we needed to come up with 20k or go to a 15 year loan almost doubling our payment a month. When we questioned why we were told the loan officer pulled our credit 11 times in the last few days. We were forced into taking the 15 year due to the timing. Just this month we found out Caliber paid another customers bill out of our escrow in the amount of $48,000. This company is incompetent and unethical!!!

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My mortgage was sold to Caliber Home Loans. During Hurricane Irma every customer svc person told me a different explanation. These people are not knowledgeable in their jobs. Overwhelmed & tired of dealing with them. They tell you they will call you back and they don't. No promise they told me has been met as yet. One year anniversary coming up and I want to get a divorce. They suck. Very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

They do offer the ability to pay over the phone and online, but as you would expect from a smaller shady company, they have a little inconsistency that can screw you over. I've had many different lenders and all of them always considered the payment made the date you actually make the payment. However, if you pay online, they don't count it paid until it drafts from your bank. So, if I go online today (14th), which is a Friday, and my due date was the 15th, they won't consider the payment made until the Monday! That is really horrible. If someone happens to need to push out to the end of their grace period, that could cause a late fee.... when they technically paid within the grace period. Just seems like a shady way to skim money off their customers. However... if you pay over the phone, they count it paid immediately. SMH.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Very grateful for Caliber and all their work to help us get our home, but it was confusing to talk with a different person every time we called or emailed, and frustrating to have to explain our situation over and over again. Their work was great and we always recommend them to people, but a little disappointed about that aspect of our time with them after having the misguided impression that we were working with one of them in particular.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have had the worst time with Caliber. I had to report them 3 times already to the BBB, They lie, give false information and then wont accept accountability. They put me in a modification all signed paperwork was completed. I signed the agreement they confirmed that they had received it and then 3 months into making payments I find that I'm in foreclosure, not one phone call or letter was received. When I finally got in touch with them to find out was going on they said they never got paperwork. Now they are telling me to do another modification. They are scam artist and this was their way of taking my home from me.

If it wasn't for a realtor to call me and ask if I wanted to sell my property I never would of known I was even in foreclosure and I would of lost my home. I'm suing them for damages and loss of work and stress behind all of this, I am physically ill over this. I have been worrying myself sick I have lost 13 pounds. Cant eat or sleep and I'm losing hair. I did nothing to deserve to be treated like this and Caliber wont accept accountability. They could care less and I'm gonna make sure no one else ever has to go through the stress of losing their home because they made a mistake and lost my paperwork.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Caliber Home Loans?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I think it's ridiculous that Caliber now charges a $3.50 fee to make an additional principal payment online. Caliber states that this fee commenced on July 1, 2018. Never in my life have I had to pay to make a mortgage payment online. Shame on you, Caliber! I would think you would want to make it easy on your customers, but evidently not. On top of it I am signed up for Bi-monthly payments which I thought would greatly accelerate a reduction in principal over the life of the mortgage. So even though there is suppose to be no pre-payment penalty - Caliber holds the first half of your payment in suspense until they receive the second part of your payment. So they're keeping your money and not benefiting you with a reduction in interest charges.

In the loan docs it states in bold letters there are no pre-payment penalties. But probably very deep in the docs it might have had a clause that only a full payment will be applied. Then again when you go online to set up your Bi-monthly payment the system does not inform you that the first half of your payment is held in suspense. I asked the customer service rep at Caliber to file my complaint as I wanted it recorded. I believe a formal complaint to the appropriate State Banking Department and Attorney General is warranted.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I had a fantastic experience with Caliber and Ron **. I would recommend Caliber to everyone. My representative was at my closing and everything went smoothly. I was kept up-to-date throughout the whole process despite it being a very busy time of year for home purchases.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Overall, I am pleased to have finally been able to complete the process of rolling my Home equity Loan into my Mortgage Loan. My interactions with both Matthew ** and my Loan Processing Officer, Ashley ** were outstanding! Whenever I had a question or concern they both made sure to address my issues, especially Ashley who I dealt with the most!

Why I did not give a 5 star rating? I became very frustrated with the number of times that I had to provide documentation regarding our income sources to your auditors. Instead of asking for all of the data upfront it took several requests over a one month period. I am sure it is because we are self-funded and other than our social security payments our monthly incomes are generated from our financial assets. I also was disappointed that I felt like I was a new customer versus a customer who was already a Caliber Customer who has an outstanding loan payment record on my primary account with Caliber Home Loans. Ashley did an outstanding job helping me navigate through your Loan Auditors numerous requests! My only other issue which upset me the most was the way my experience with Title 365 initially went down! I heard directly from the Notary who was assigned to process the Closing Documents regarding my closing date.

For some unknown reason the paperwork the Title 365 was to receive was not sent. Instead of hearing from Title 365 regarding this problem, my only contact was with the Notary who was assigned. When the paperwork did finally arrive, I received a call from a different Notary who informed me that she would be completing the process. I later found out that the original Notary had been told by Title 365 that I had requested that she be replaced. A request that I did not make! I to this day never had any interaction directly with anyone from Title 365!

I became very angry regarding how this went down and contacted Ashley who took prompt action to resolve this problem to my complete and total satisfaction. The original Notary who was assigned to complete the paperwork also did an outstanding job and like Ashley, she was customer focused. I understand that Caliber has to contract 3rd party folks to handle the closings but they too represent Caliber Home Loans and they need to be held accountable when they pull stunts like the one Title 365 tried to pull on me!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

From the minute I began the pre-approval process, I knew I was in great hands with Peter ** at Caliber. The entire experience through closing was nothing short of organized, clear and prompt. I highly recommend Caliber, Peter and his amazing team to handle all of your home buying and mortgage needs.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Denise ** was amazing helping me through the home buying process. She made everything very clear and was available at any time I needed her. She really made me comfortable and helped me through my frustrations as we went along. She and I were able to get everything done in 27 days!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Caliber Home Loan is the place to be. Great team, great people. Above and beyond, by far the quickest, easiest and stress-free. Very professional, efficient team. Mason is fabulous, extremely helpful, got us the best rates possible!!! Very happy with our experience. Would highly recommend Caliber Home Loan, Inc.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My wife and I was very please with the way they handle our loan. The process was easy to understand. I would recommend them to all my friends. Nice and friendly, easy to understand. My agent was good at explaining the process.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had an excellent experience with Caliber Home Loans. Specifically with Michelle ** and her team. As a first time home buyer I was a little overwhelmed and needed some extra handholding. Michelle and her team explained everything thoroughly and were immensely helpful in getting me just the right mortgage loan. I highly recommend them and should I decide to buy again in the future, I will definitely go back to them.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We worked with Joseph ** and Verenice ** to secure a mortgage for a home purchase. They were both very diligent in keeping us informed and comfortable throughout the entire process. Their instructions and requests were very clear and timely. The whole process took less than 30 days. Amazing!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Caliber helped finance the purchase of our new house. Kim was very easy to work with, and her team was very responsive when we had questions. We would recommend working with Kim to any of our friends or family should they need a mortgage in the future.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

At Caliber Loans they helped me so much great customer service always available and great communication. Always there for anything any day any time. I had a issue with the first home I wanted to buy and I got all the support I need from my bank and my agents as well. Especially Casey and Ron and Eddie towards the they were very important on this. Thank you very much.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Chris ** and Amanda ** were incredible to work with from start to finish. We met Chris at open house. She and Chris worked together to show us multiple houses, working around our busy work schedules. They answered every question we had about the home buying process, and many questions that we did not even think to ask. They were supportive throughout the offer process and all the way through to closing, then helped us celebrate after we officially were in our new home. Highly recommend them to anyone looking to buy a home in Yakima area.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We had a very good experience with our first home purchase. David was very patient with us and was always available to answer questions about things I didn't understand. I would recommend Caliber home loans to any veteran who would like to buy in Colorado.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was extremely satisfied with the service I received from Caliber Loan. My loan officer Jeff **, was very professional and attentive throughout the entire process. His assistant, Kevin ** likewise was very professional and attentive. They kept me informed on each step of the lengthy process. If I had any questions, they were quick to respond and provide a satisfactory answer to my inquires. I got the impression they were genuinely concerned about my interests and they were able to secure the loan in a reasonable time frame as required by the home builder we used. I have nothing but praise for Jeff ** and Kelvin ** of Caliber Loans.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Renato and his team were great to work with and I would recommend them to anyone! They went above and beyond! They answered any and all questions we had and always got back to us in a quick manner. Amazing experience!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I think it's ridiculous that you charge a fee for me to make my payment online. Never in my life have I had to pay to make a mortgage payment online. Shame on you, Caliber! I would think you would want to make it easy on your customers, but evidently not.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Great company that goes above and beyond to help you get approved! Very thorough and timely with all the paperwork! Highly recommend! Barbara is sure to keep open communication and always is available for any questions or concerns! Her team is an A+ loan company!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Ben and the team were super helpful and patient with me throughout the entire home buying process, especially considering this was my first time ever buying a house. I've worked with another company before, but ultimately put off the process for a year because I was so intimidated. I would definitely recommend them to anyone I know looking to buy a home. Thanks for making me a homeowner!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Scott handled our mortgage and everything was great. Any information we wanted was provided. Our concerns were taken seriously and we were reassured throughout the entire process. I would definitely recommend Caliber Home Loans to someone looking for a new house.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

This is a loan for the purchase of a house at **. All promises were fulfilled exactly as scheduled. The coordination between the loan team, headed by Ms Rebecca ** with Ms. Carolyn **, Nicole **, and cash as the title team is exemplary.

Caliber Home Loans response

Thank you, Daniel!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Rich ** and associates at Caliber were really helpful both when we originated our loan and when we refinanced. It seemed like they were actually looking out for my best interests. I highly recommend the folks at Caliber Home Loans!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

So far, my experience with Caliber has been excellent. Personal attention to details, in particular by Carlos **, has been highly comfortable and very professional, as well as with the insurance agent and the law office who made the closing.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Excellent team. Very knowledgeable in the business and able to help me buy a home in a timely manner. No matter your situation they are able to explain clearly what you need to obtain a mortgage that is tailored to your specific needs. I recommend this team to anyone who seriously want to buy a house and close smoothly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I enjoyed working with Tony and his team. I would definitely use them for future transactions! They went above and beyond from beginning to end and even after! Tony was sincere with every call and email. He treated me like family!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Everyone at Caliber went above and beyond communicating and explaining the whole process to me. This was my first home purchase and they made me feel comfortable with the largest financial decision of my life to date. They answered all my questions and spent as much time as I needed on the phone making sure I was complete understanding the process. Since closing and moving in they have continued to stay in touch.

Caliber Home Loans expert review by Michele Lerner

This mortgage company was founded with a merger from Caliber Funding and Vericrest Financial. They offer consumers assistance with home loans, home buying and refinancing.

• National support: This company has branches across the United States, so you can get help with your home loan from a local loan consultant who understands the market in your state.

• Range of loan products: They provide a range of loan products available for their customers, including FHA loans, veteran loans, conventional loans and more.

• Resources for homebuyers: This company offers step-by-step guides to help you navigate the processes of prequalifying, financing, paying for insurance and understanding closing costs.

• Send away for more information: Submit a short form on the website to receive free information on their mortgage programs to help you make a decision about buying or refinancing your home.

• Quick and upfront mortgage approvals: Consumers get quick and upfront mortgage approvals, so you will know shortly after applying for a loan whether or not you qualify.

• Fresh Start: The Fresh Start program is designed to help homeowners who have previously experienced a foreclosure, bankruptcy or any other credit setback to get a home loan ranging from $150,000 to $1 million.

• Best for: homebuyers and home builders.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Caliber Home Loans Company Information