4.35/5
Based on 138 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Since 2015, BILLSHARK has been empowering customers to take control of their bills. Their highly skilled negotiators, “Sharks”, work hard to help save you hundreds of dollars every year and lower your monthly bills. If they don’t save you money, they don’t get paid. Customers can easily snap and upload their bills in two minutes or less. BILLSHARK negotiates a variety of bills, including satellite TV, cable, internet, wireless phone, satellite radio, and home security. Sign up today to start saving money at no risk and get a $25 dining or shopping reward!

Read More Read More
Last updated: April 22, 2018

160 BILLSHARK Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

BILLSHARK negotiated my cable and AT&T cell phone bills, both of which I have higher rates on. I did everything through the mobile app and Matt was great. The only thing is, they have to have an easier payment plan. It has to be through credit card, but it would be cool if a debit card could be used for the payment plan. I'd recommend BILLSHARK.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 16, 2018

What BILLSHARK did was good but it was a little bit of a bait and switch as they charged me for the savings. And they didn't really disclose the savings to go out 24 months so the bill was a little higher than what I had expected. Plus they went in and they negotiated one of them with SiriusXM. And then SiriusXM turned right back around and charged it the old way. So, I paid for a discount that I didn't necessarily get. I have an app called Truebill and it's a great service. It goes down the list of my accounts and it pushes out a notification that says this one is too high and then fix it. When I hit 'fix it', it gave me to BILLSHARK and then it explained BILLSHARK as a third party negotiator that'll come right up and do that fix.

All interactions with the reps were through email. I had to create an account and then I sent them a copy of my bill. And then within two or three days, somebody said they were working on it and a day later they said, "We saved you x amount of dollars and this is what you owe." There's a percentage of the savings that they keep and then they bill me right away. They say the savings are guaranteed but it's clearly not because when SiriusXM turned right around, BILLSHARK saved like $26 for the next six months. And then I got charged automatically for $128.

I need to know whether or not I'm really getting the savings and I need something verifiable that comes back officially from these places. BILLSHARK needs to send me documentation that shows that I am in fact getting this and it is coming from the company from which they are negotiating on my behalf. Otherwise, I could go on there and say, "Oh yeah, I just saved you a $1,000 on DIRECTV," and the bill hadn't changed at all.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I had financial concerns from my cell phone bills and it was easy to work with BILLSHARK. The reps and I really communicated through email and they were responsive. I think for a lot of people BILLSHARK's service is worth the money, but not for me in the exact circumstances that I have gotten. It might have been my fault not paying enough attention, but it probably would have been better to understand upfront what the cost was. I didn't really understand that they basically negotiate and then they take a certain percentage off of like 24 month period. For example, they said they save me $7 a month but then they multiply that by 24 months and then take a certain percentage of it. So, next thing I know, I owed them $80 and I didn't really expect that. I wish they were a little more clear on that, but it was fine. People should look into this company.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The man who does my financial dealings told me about Billshark and explained to me that it was possible that I could get a better rate. Billshark got me a bit of a discount on my phone and my cable bills and I appreciated that. It wasn't a whole lot because I already had a good deal, but everything helps and it adds up. Billshark was worth it for sure. Look into it.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I got a recommendation from a friend for BillShark’s services and my experience with them was fine. Their reps were pleasant and the enrollment process was easy. I sent them the internet fee where they had a one-time reduction of $25. The cost was fine too. I had a total savings of $15. I would tell my friends that I got good results with BillShark so they should try it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BILLSHARK?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I enrolled to BILLSHARK online and working with them is easy. Our interactions are also online or through text and their representatives communicate very well. They reach back promptly if I had a question or concern. They have saved me about 400 bucks and the cost of the service is cheap. I’d recommend BILLSHARK.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I clicked on things that said that I could use the BillShark app to save money. I figured it was convenient because it went along with the app, so it was a hand-in-hand thing and I felt the convenience of it. It was super easy to work with them. They told me what's going on, what they tried to do and what they're going to do. They gave me updates, not just that they were going to save me money then I never hear from them. The communication was thorough and I'm satisfied with BillShark. The cost I received was fair. They have been great and they saved me some money on Sprint and my phone bill.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Billshark assisted me to reduce my monthly payments and working with them was simple and easy. I just had to log in to my account then I was able to look at my bills. Then eventually, they started negotiating on my behalf. Their reps called and let me know that they were working on them and I also got a call when they were done. Cost and quality-wise, they were great. Billshark can save you money and I would tell my friends to try them out.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I wanted to try out Billshark's service to see how good it was. I thought I was gonna do it one time, but I used it for an app that I use for collecting my money and it was good. But I was confused because my bill went back to the same price. In addition, they only help you one time and they didn’t explain that in the agreement. I’m one of those that read everything in the terms. I don’t care if it’s 30 pages or 100. They helped me cut my AT&T bill by $10, but I ended up having to pay Billshark $8. It didn’t make any sense to me. In my mind, it defeats the purpose.

I work full-time and I own my own business at the same time. I don’t even have time for my personal email. I just paid Billshark then I realized I was behind. I owed them $8 which they sent through to collection. A longer term time would be good. I get that they probably do not want to research and see what are the possible percentages that they could save me on a pay period, but it would help me understand if it’s worth me investing in it.

Original review: April 6, 2018

When I heard BillShark talk about some of the services that they offer on a Wall Street Journal podcast, I wanted to experiment to see if they could lower any of my bills to fit my lifestyle. I trust Wall Street Journal and I was confident BillShark wasn't a scam. Working with BillShark was fairly easy. They pursue their customer and constantly remind of the services they offer. I'm a busy guy and I dealt with them by email going back and forth. They were very prompt in responding to me and their turnaround time was inside half of a business day. There's only one that they could improve on. One of my banking accounts has some encryption that keeps tripping up BillShark and it is hard for them to keep it. Other than that, I'm impressed with how they were able to interact with the companies. And while I always wanted the service for free, the cost of service is reasonable.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I submitted two bills for a rep to look at. In a short amount of time she emailed me and said she saved me so much money on each and negotiated free HBO and Showtime for a 4-6 months etc and a savings of $20 a month and I could get a free Genie upgrade because we've had the same equipment for 7 years (We ended up having to pay $50 for this btw). The Verizon bill she said she saved us $29 a month and got us 4 "bonus" gb each month. The next thing I knew I was getting a bill for $216 for 40% of my annual savings which I knew would happen and was part of the terms. She said that the savings wouldn't appear until my billing cycle. I have waited to pay the BillShark invoice to make sure that it actual all went down. I have gotten several nastygrams from them stating I need to pay my bill or they will send me to collections (It's only been 2 weeks and 1 day btw).

When I got both bills from my creditors I noticed that I do in fact have a $20 credit on my DirecTV account and I think $9 credit on my Verizon but in various other places our bill is higher than it was before. Billshark making the savings NOT what they have stated it would be. We also have a weird issue going on with Verizon where they are charging us for the 4gb plan but then there is 4 gb of "bonus" data in some la-la land and she put us on lockdown mode so when we get near the 4gb it slows our phones down and you basically can't use them even though we have the 4gb of "bonus" data (somewhere). I was also eligible for an upgrade on my line prior to Billshark and that is now also gone.

I sent copies back to the girl who initially helped me and kindly asked her to adjust the Billshark invoice down to what they actually saved me so I can just pay the bill and be done with it. She then demanded I send her FULL statements for what reason I don't know why and she would look into it. I rescanned, attached and e-mailed her our DirecTV bills but let her know I wasn't scanning and attaching all 20 pages of the last two billing cycles from Verizon that had pages of our call logs from the last two bills as I already sent her the break down for each line. I also told her it wasn't necessary to keep doing all of this because at this point, I've wasted so much time printing out multiple bills acceptable to her liking and comparing and e-mailing back and forth with her, I could have just called both companies myself and begged for a $10 a month credit.

I think the service is great for busy people like myself but I think it's fraudulent to bill people for "savings" that they aren't actually receiving. It's fine that you got DirecTV to give me a $20 credit, but if they add $10 to my account somewhere else I should only pay you fee's on $10 savings, not $20. I tried to leave a review on their website under the "review" tab but it appears they only put the good reviews there as you can't just add an actual review. Overall, their rep was nice and I don't actually have any issues with her it's just been a waste of my time, paper and ink. I should have just called myself.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I found BILLSHARK through the Truebill app and they are the first company I saw that did something like they do. It was easy to work with them and they negotiated my cable bill for me. I had a couple of phone calls from their reps explaining everything. I also interacted with them through emails and then through the app. The service is legit and it comes through. I'd force friends to use it.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I wanted to see if I could have some of our bills lowered, especially the cable and internet type bills. I did some research and Googled about BillShark. It looked like it was legitimate and it might be able to help me so I used them. I downloaded the app and signed up using the app. Once I signed up, I interacted with the staff. I was impressed with how quickly she contacted me and started to work on our behalf right away.They have renegotiated everything that they could. The staff called me to get more information, passwords, account numbers, that she would need in order to negotiate better rates. She would also text or email me to let me know where we are in the process.

The whole process didn’t even take a week, which was very quick. I was communicating with the same person which was really great. It was easy working with them and they were able to negotiate three bills for me. We would have been paying more but she saved us some money and she even renegotiated our XM Radio, which was fantastic. It's one of those things that sounds too good to be true, but it's actually true. I wish they could help negotiate everything, that would be wonderful. But we are very pleased because the things that we had control over and also the things that we enjoy that we didn’t have to have as part of our lives, those are the things that she had to negotiate. I'm recommending BillShark to others. I've told my sisters about them and my sisters are going to save money in the long run.

Original review: April 3, 2018

BillShark did a negotiation for me. Unfortunately I didn't like the result. I complained and they're refunding me. But overall the customer service was good because although I wasn't pleased with what I received I'm pleased with how they handled the situation. In addition, the cost of the service was fine.

Original review: April 2, 2018

BillShark came up on Empower and they said they could save money on my bills which was great. I just clicked on a link, entered my name, email address and a phone number. They contacted me asking for access and I gave them the access. Then they came back and told me what they got. It was pretty seamless. I didn't lift a finger and they were able to reduce my bill. I pay them 40% and I get 60% as a saving so it's a win-win. They negotiated my AT&T, DirecTV and Cox Communication bills.

I had some text messages and phone calls with their reps. They explained well what was being formed and how much I would save, and it was simple. They are experienced in dealing with these organizations to reduce bills. And it's legitimate stuff. For example, by signing me up for auto pay, I got a discount off of that. My interactions were all positive and I was really pleased with it. However, I had a little bit of a conflict when one person was working on an account asking me for information and then another person was also working on the same thing and asked me for the same information. It felt like identity theft or fraud so I replied to one of them and said, "I'm working with the rep from BillShark."

The service they provide is unique and I would not have it if I did not use them. I was very satisfied with BillShark. These guys are professionals and they know which one is available to the consumers to save money. And you’d be wise to follow their advice. BillShark is for people concerned about finances but are not armed with the right information.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I’m satisfied with my experience with BILLSHARK and I am impressed with customer service's response. I’m in touch constantly with their executive named Steve. I have the savings I got on my bill and I’m waiting for next month's bill. As soon as I get $1.25 savings on the next bill from the next month, I have a balance of $1.34 that I have to pay them and I will make the payment.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I was trying to get low on my bills. And I found BILLSHARK on an app and went with it. I downloaded the app and once I figured it out, it was easy. There were a few spots that were confusing but once I understood the whole picture, it made sense. The cost was fair, and they took off on my cable and my phone bills. I’d tell my friends to try BILLSHARK.

Original review: March 30, 2018

BillShark was recommended to me by my husband. He was a huge fan of Shark Tank and he saw them there, so he told me to do it. It was very easy to work with them. During the enrollment process, they asked for my name and my address as it appears on the bill and to send or email them a copy of the bill and I did. Then they emailed to me and they got my bill down for $50 a month. I then paid the invoice. The quality of service from BillShark was great and I was very satisfied. BillShark was awesome and fast, too.

Original review: March 29, 2018

If you want to get your bills cheaper, check out BillShark. I submitted a bill online and they told me what they could save. Now, I'm paying a significantly cheaper amount on the bill so I’m happy. While I had to pay them 40% of whatever the savings were, I didn’t have to pay a bill for the next month and then now I save 50% less on my bill. Their reps also e-mailed and called multiple times to tell me about the savings. Then for every referral, you get a 10$ off Amazon card. They honored that and they gave my co-worker, the one who referred it to me, a $10 gift card so that was cool too. So far, I've referred them already to all kinds of friends.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 28, 2018

I have nothing but negative experience with BillShark. I have an app that I was using that said, “Hey, we can lower your bills.” So finally I decided, “Let me go ahead and try them out.” It doesn’t state anything about fees until you start disclosing in everything. I get an invoice in the mail, “You owe 120 bucks.” And I hadn’t paid it till they put me in the first stage of collection. So I finally paid it and asked them, “Look. What did they do?” They literally got on the phone 20 minutes and they hit me back with a bill for 120 bucks. I find that defrauding that they’re not outlining their fees upfront. They did not respond to my request for a payment to be lowered. The only time I’ve ever had a representative interaction via phone was when they lowered a bill. They called me to say, “Hey, congratulations, we’ve lowered your bill.” And I don’t feel like they truly did. My bill seems to be the same. And I get emails over time for payment.

The cost of BILLSHARK was way too high. $120 for five minutes to be on the phone with one company is way too high. I guess they charge 30% or something like that of whatever they’ve saved. From the DIRECTV bill it didn’t look like much of a save. It is absolutely too high. So make sure to look at the fees before doing it. Look at them, read them first before you start giving them all your information. Any average person’s going to start giving them all their information without knowing how much they’re gonna charge.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I’m happy with my internet provider in general but I was paying way too much for internet. I didn't have the know-how or leverage to negotiate with them because they're my only provider. The bill was extremely complicated with all kinds of fees and nonsense so I did some research and stumbled across BillShark. There were some other companies out there similar but BillShark was the one that really caught my attention. They had the press and things were clear and fairly reasonable how the business proposition works.

My experience was very easy. I did it all online and waited, and within an hour or two, it was done. The rep that I worked with was easy to communicate with and quick. We had email means after he had taken care of this for me and did everything clear. It worked out well. They required a little follow-up course and explained the website but they could have been a bit clearer on how paying them works. They could have also explained what I can expect. I’m going to pay 40% to them, and that's how it works, but exactly how I’ll be doing that wasn't super clear. It's like I pay it on my savings upfront.

I also have payment plans but I end up spending more and that's a little weird, so I got to pay this now. But for some people using BillShark's services, they're probably desperate for cash and they might not have $120, which was what ended up being for me. The cost is a bit high but it's a decent problem to let me get especially if I already have a lot of bills. I only have one bill that made sense for them to negotiate for me but for people that have two or more, it might make more sense. Especially if they feel a little apprehensive or have issues dealing with customer service reps and trying to be polite.

BillShark should also take a little less to help attract more customers. Closer to 25% is more reasonable than 40, but still, over time it works. I would refer BillShark to friends depending on the situation. If they're in a similar situation that I am or if they have a bill or two that they don't have much money for and time or the capacity to negotiate and they have to deal themselves, I would definitely tell them to check BillShark and see what BillShark can do for them.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I was looking to lower some bills. BillShark was presented to me through an app that I use. The process seemed easy and it wasn't that much of a hassle to me at that point which was great. I was very satisfied with the enrolment process. I sent them my account information for two bills, and then they called the companies concerning those two accounts. They lowered one bill but the other bill, they couldn’t get lowered. I've paid them for the one bill they lowered. Their reps were prompt about getting back to me. Also, they kept me in the loop on what they were doing, how long the process would take, and where they were throughout the process. For a one-time charge if you run the math out over several periods, it was a decent amount of savings compared to a charge itself. So, it's nice. If you have a bill, try them out.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Working with Bill Shark was easy. My enrollment process was hands-off. I have to update, give all the info then they take it over. Then, I try to get an update when it's done. Since then, they have been able to negotiate bills for me. However, the communication got a little confusing with emails. The automated responses were too many and redundant and I lost track of where I am in the process. Still, my representative responded quickly and overall, BillShark seems like a good service. I'm satisfied with them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 22, 2018

I was on a financial app and it asked if I would like to save money. I clicked on it and then I was contacted by BillShark two weeks later. I thought it was still part of the app that I was originally on and they asked if I would like to take a look at my AT&T bill. That was when they started the whole process. I did not feel great about my decision to continue with BillShark. I thought I would be able to qualify for some discounts or there was a promotion that was not accessible to me but was accessible through them, but all they did was reduce my data. I got a text from a BillShark representative to say that they were negotiating my bill and they would let me know what was happening shortly. I had a new service that I’ve had for two months at that time and I got a call later to say that I wasn't using all my data, so by reducing the data, it would save me $20 a month. I never read the terms and conditions because I still thought it was part of the app.

Then, I got a bill from BillShark and it was $192. I contacted them and asked what it was all about, and they referred me to their terms and conditions. I was trying to save money but I got a bill for my "savings" of reduction of data. I was not happy and because I didn't read the terms and conditions, I was stuck with that. I asked if everything could be reversed, and they said they couldn't. I continued to receive bills and after confirming with AT&T that it was $20 a month savings by reducing my data, I just paid the bill.

I was in touch with AT&T and I can make that change on the app within a second. All I have to do is press a button and I increase or decrease my data at any point. There wasn't a real saving in that. I could have done that anywhere and I could get rid of cable and save $100 a month. The BillShark representative could have been more upfront in saying that by going through with these changes, they'll save me this amount of money and I'll owe them this amount. It was not very clear. Maybe it would've been clear if I had clicked on other things to get into their terms and conditions or I was referred to something, but I didn't find out until I got my bill that that was part of their service. I followed up the whole thing on their website and that was when I understood the whole concept. I would not have gone through with that if I understood it better.

I also went through this other third-party app called PocketGuard and they got all my information from there so that was a mix-up too. I wasn't clear who I was working with at that time. However, the BillShark representatives were quick to respond anytime I called or they spoke to me. The response time was good but that was about it and there was no other resolution. I had already gone too far and I allowed them to make the changes. I am very dissatisfied with BillShark and I am definitely not going to refer any other bills to them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 21, 2018

BILLSHARK was offered to me as I was going through one of my money management software. Originally, it was a negotiation service and then it took me to BILLSHARK. Working with them was intermediately difficult. Had things worked out well, it probably would have been very easy. I didn’t have to give them a lot of information. Then they came back to me with some potential money savings, but it didn’t work. They thought they were saving me money because they thought we were only using a gigabyte of data every month. In actuality, we were using five gigabytes of data every month. They failed to get an accurate information from T-Mobile. The things that they thought was gonna save us money, that sort of cost us more including the hassle to have to cancel the service and not pay them for the help they did not provide.

I first communicated with the guy that emailed me saying the potential savings and I corrected them. And he said something about having to speak to a manager to cancel out the bill, like I would need to email somebody something. I thought that it was insane that I must prove to them that they didn't help me. This is on them, not me. He then emailed back and apologized, saying that he would cancel everything out. But then three days later, I got an email with an invoice that I didn’t have to reply to. And then a manager had to get involved. The fact that the problem wasn't solved when I first communicated with that guy even though he said it was solved made this a negative experience.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I got the Empower app to keep up with my management of money and BILLSHARK was recommended by the app. Working with them wasn't difficult at all. They were able to negotiate my DirecTV bill and took $15 off a month. I save $127 a year. It was worth it. Also, I didn't have to talk to anybody at BILLSHARK. I did it all on their app and that was really easy. I loved my experience with BILLSHARK and I will be using them again when I want to get my bills lowered.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Working with BILLSHARK was very easy. They got me some money off of my bill. One of my friends told me BILLSHARK could save me money. So, I signed up a year ago and they said they couldn't help me. And then I got a call back a year later and they helped. They did very well and I was very impressed. It cost me money but it saved me money. And that's a good bargain.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I got BillShark services to save some money. It was fairly easy to work with them. It was through an app called Empower. It was a series of simple basic information. Then I think they used the date from Empower to kind of scrub and find bills that could be negotiated. Then from there, they approached me about certain bills that could be lowered and then asked for my approval for that. I gave it and then they asked for further information like PIN numbers to be able to negotiate them. At this point BillShark resolved my concerns.

Matt's process was efficient. I understood that they would take 40% of whatever was saved on the bills as a way to pay for their services. So they supposedly saved me around $10. But the way BillShark billed it or billed me for the 40% savings was not per month. It's equivalent for 12 months. That wasn’t clear going into it. It would have been nice to know that beforehand because now I feel like if I were to switch internet carriers I would lose not only the savings but then also the amount that I've paid to BillShark to negotiate that savings.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Working with BILLSHARK was easy. I read about them online and wanted to see if they would actually help reduce some of my bills like cable and some other services. So far, they negotiated a cable bill down. They saved me $10 a month so that worked out well. Moreover, they are moderately priced. The scale that BILLSHARK uses is 20% of whatever the savings is and that's something fair. All in all, I would tell friends to give them a try.

Original review: March 5, 2018

BillShark had everything done a few months ago and they spread down a few of my bills, which was really appreciated. They were also convenient. They were very thorough about looking into anything that I happen to be a part of. They then went ahead and did what they could to make sure that I would get the best rate. They were able to negotiate my AT&T and Xfinity bills. They'd email me and their communication was good and straightforward. The cost is 10% of the difference, which is relatively nice. I'd tell friends to use BillShark. It's better to save money than not.

BILLSHARK expert review by Jonathan Trout

BILLSHARK’s mission is to help people live financially smarter lives by lowering their monthly bills. They will negotiate common bills such as cable, internet, security systems, landlines and satellite radio. BILLSHARK works with all of the most common service providers and boasts an 85 percent success rate. It also donates one hour of financial literacy instruction to a child for every bill it negotiates.

• How it works: Send BILLSHARK your bills through email, their mobile app or their website. They will go to work negotiating each line item on your bill, keeping you informed with regular status updates. Any savings they get you will show up on your next bill from your provider. Getting started only takes 10 minutes.

• Pricing: BILLSHARK’s fee is 40 percent of the savings they get you. If they save $1,000 a year, they keep $400. If they don’t save you anything, there are no fees. If a service provider goes back on the deal they made with BILLSHARK, they will go back and make sure you get your savings or refund your savings in full.

• Savings calculator: Curious to know how much BILLSHARK can save you? Check out their savings calculator on their website. Put in the type of bill you have and the amount to get an instant estimate.

• Rewards: When you refer a friend, they get $10 off on BILLSHARK fees and you receive a $10 Amazon gift card. You will also get a $25 dining or retail gift card for getting started.

• Mobile apps: BILLSHARK has a mobile app that lets you snap pictures of your bills, upload and submit them from your mobile device. Using your smartphone makes the process quick and easy and keeps you from having to boot up your computer to download saved copies of your bills.

• Best for: consumers looking to save money on their monthly bills.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout