1.12/5

Looking for a loan company?

Beneficial

Looking for a loan company?

Beneficial Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Prior to Opening a Corporate Account, I asked many key questions about the Operations Center and Historic Audits and Practices. The three (3) different people I asked, knew "NOTHING". It is 2018, the World's Banks must protect it customers... Clearly that is a Foreign Concept at this Institution... Did they explain that at Saint Joseph's University? With two exceptions, the entire Senior Management Team are graduates of this school. We will go with a Money Center Bank.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have a seasonal subscription from FabFitFun where I had items in my cart but never checked out or authorized payment. On July 17th 2018 I noticed $60 missing from my checking account which was pending. I called Beneficial and began a dispute. The online customer service rep also advised me to cancel out my debit card and open a new one so that FabFitFun couldn't have access to withdraw money again from me. I was able to reach FabFitFun who agreed to give me a refund but it would take 3-5 business days to be credited to my bank. On July 19th 2018 I noticed instead of crediting my account the $60 I noticed another $60 was withdrawn from my account by FabFitFun! The balance on my checking acct was down $120.

I called Beneficial customer service and spoke to someone who recognized something wrong. She credited my account $60 and said FabFitFun was trying to credited me the other $60 they took out from the 17th. We agreed to withdraw my dispute and wait for the other $60 to show up in my acct. On July 23rd the $60 credit was applied to my account. I thought this would be the end of it... Wrong!!! Today on August 1st 2018 Beneficial denied my credit of $60 and withdrew $60 from my account.

Beneficial customer service has no record of the original conversation where the bank recognized their mistake and advised me to go to my Beneficial branch bank. When I explained all of this to them, that I am missing $60 in my account they tried to say it was only withdrawn once not twice saying they are right... even after I showed them online banking screenshots I had captured to prove myself correct. I am beyond upset and cannot believe what unqualified managers and bank tellers this bank employs! Needless to say my husband and I will be taking our 20 grand elsewhere...a s this is not the 1st time these past few months that Beneficial Bank has messed up our accounts!

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Have used Beneficial Bank for 25 years. Their customer service has really changed, for the worst. Scheduled a bill to be paid on a specific day. It was mysteriously paid a day early, before the money was in the account. They charged me a NSF charge. Called and was told BillPay is a separate division that they have no number for!? They had no idea why they disregarded my scheduled bill due date. They refused to refund the NSF charge. So, my advice: use another bank, blast them on social media and refuse poor customer service!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Beneficial ripped me off for 50 thousand dollars of life insurance that my partner took out and paid for over 13 yrs. for a loan of 28000 dollars and the loan is still the same after 13 yrs for 28000. I was the name on the life insurance and Beneficial never paid out that money or took it for the loan after my partner died.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Beneficial bank would take my payment via online checking, sit on it and then charge me late fees. Every month totally $1,400, bounce back payments and put new payment towards next months and not towards previous. Never call me or let me know and then report to credit bureaus. Worst bank I've ever used, will never use them in the future! They are terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Beneficial?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Many years ago, my husband due to illness/unable to work, took out a loan with these poor excuses for business idiots. For some reason he was under the impression that the $8,000 loan was for three years til payoff. We were late with payments a few times, sometimes we paid extra. 5 years later we noticed that the debt we owed was not going down, we were paying some type of insurance and an insurance to pay off the debt in case anything happened to him. We went into their Chapel Hill Office, in Fairlawn, spoke with some idiot who chuckled at the fact we were paying the one insurance, I asked if we would be reimbursed for this insurance, she said, we should be paying, but had been for 5 years. She chuckled. The life insurance had ran out. It was for 7 years. She tried talking us in to rewriting our loan and including our house. To that we chuckled. Not in this lifetime Lady. We see how you people operate.

We'd of been better off going to a Loan Shark. Here we are almost 24 years later, Payment #152, still owing $2200 of this $8,000 loan, which went from HFC, to Beneficial and now with One Main Financial. One Main, I won't hold responsible for this joke. They only took over the loan, and we do have the option of paying off the $2200 debt or continue payments. How our Government can allow these predators to steal money from hard working, tax paying citizens this way is very disappointing. And makes us ashamed to be members of this Country. Unfortunately, we have nowhere else to go. This is not a fake story, I may not have exact details, or dates, but I know we've been paying his debt for many, many years. And it is truly unfair. If I thought we stood a chance in getting our money back from these idiots, I would fight it. But I've not read that anyone has succeeded in that yet. So why bother. We'll just continue to be robbed.

Original review: June 30, 2017

We took out a second mortgage with Beneficial in 2008 for a home renovation project. We paid this off ahead of schedule in January 2012. That was all fine, however our lien was never released. When we got a contract to sell the property this lien showed up - with only two weeks before closing. Since it had been paid for 5 years I had already recycled all of the statements. Between my wife and I we spent probably 12 hours or more on the phone with them trying to get this released. It is very hard to get through on the phone since the account number was no longer active (press 0 repeatedly after entering account number a couple of times).

Anyway, all requests for lien releases MUST be done via US Mail, and all responses are ONLY done via US Mail. On top of that it takes them 5-7 business days to "get it into the system" once they receive a request. Long story short, after many, many phone calls they did overnight the lien release to the county, but this would not have happened without a LOT of pressure. We got it through literally on the day of closing and if we had not, we were told, the sale would have fallen through. If you have had a loan with Beneficial and it is paid off, check that the lien has been released in the county now and save yourself a lot of headache. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have been paying for insurance on my loan for over 15 years and it was supposed to pay off my home loan if I passed away before the time expired to a limit of $150,000. Now they just let me know that the insurance is no longer in effect so do not pay the premium that was tacked onto my monthly premium. I feel they have deceived me by doing this and I am requesting my money back that I paid into this ($100/month) for how long. They did not hold up to the contract terms.

Could you please response as to what I should do? Thank You!!

Original review: May 25, 2017

We have a checking account in Chesterfield, NJ branch including a locker since few years and I went to deposit a check which is the tax returns of me and my wife joint returns from PA state. The check was payable to me & my wife. I went to the bank and trying to deposit the check and I endorsed it. The most surprising thing for me was that the manager was not willing to deposit the check because my wife should also sign. I said it is an endorsement and I did it. But unfortunately she didn't allow me to deposit. The most worst experience I had in a bank which shouldn't happen anywhere in the world. I was not trying to withdraw but deposit. Myself being the account holder. I don't advise anybody to open an account in Beneficial Bank and I will soon go away from there. Also the supervisor/manager was so arrogant and rude.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I would not recommend this bank. I moved to an area north of Burlington County, under the impression my checking account was closed and they continued to charge me fee on top of fee to the tune of close to $300. They are not willing to remove fee (I was their customer for about 15 years). I strongly suggest going with another company for your banking needs. Beneficial started out as a great bank years ago when I opened my account, but as time passed, many of their locations have closed, making it difficult to access your money without incurring an ATM fee (Beneficial also charges if you use a non beneficial ATM). It is very inconvenient unless you live close to a Beneficial, and even if you do now, chances are in the next year or two that branch will close too.

Beneficial Company Information