1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

736 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had many unauthorized withdrawals made from my account, to the tune of almost $500.00, over a period of 6-7 months. When I reported it to the Fraud Dept., I was told that I had made the withdrawals.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Customer service at BB&T is the worst I have ever had. Took out a personal loan at the BB&T and Chesapeake Virginia on battlefield boulevard. Took it out a week ago nobody contacted me. Nobody talk to me. Had to go over to the bank and find out that the loan was disapproved. Piss poor planning. Company really needs to look at their problem at this Bank. There is no service.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Last week I had a $1000.00 Zelle transfer bank to bank. It never was put into my bank account even though I had a confirmation # and the other bank proved BB&T had the money. It's been a week. I get a different story every time I call as to where the money is. I still don't have MY money. As soon as I do get it, I am change banks immediately.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have had nothing but problems with this bank. I opened a business account and a personal account 7 years ago. Little did I know but they labeled both accounts as business accounts so our personal checking and savings accounts were not visible. After numerous calls over a couple of years to get these accounts visible to both my wife and I, I am informed that both accounts were set up as business accounts and I would have to close one of them. As frustrated as I was, I agreed and told them to ensure all accounts were listed in the remaining account. After 24 hours waiting as instructed, I went into online banking to find out that they didn't include my business credit card. I called again, waiting for almost an hour to speak with someone and asked why my credit card account wasn't visible. The customer service agent replied that I had to specifically instruct each account by name to be moved over to ensure it gets done. Really??

Fast forward a couple of years and I start getting my purchases (to the same company) flagged for suspicious activity. Each and every time I have to call them at the fraud department to allow the purchase to go through. I am informed that they will "notate" that on my record yet it keeps happening. Now, I set up a wire transfer to pay my subcontractors (by the business name, not personal names) and although I have to multi-authenticate my transfer, it gets flagged at fraud department. I get a load of crap that the fraud department wanted to ensure that this wasn't going to a suspicious entity.

I AM THE ONE WHO INITIATED IT AND VERIFIED FOR FREAKING SAKES! I am then informed that I cannot wire it from another of my accounts and it has to be my business account. I instructed them to wire it from my business account and moved the money back into that account. These idiots then attempted the wire from the other account and rejected it for insufficient funds - from the account that they said I couldn't wire from. Whatever you do - absolutely do not use BB&T banking. You will regret it as surely as I do.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I received tax information a couple days ago regarding taxes that would be owed for payment on a credit card balance for my deceased husband of three years. long story short, I called several numbers seeking answers from the credit card services and finally ended up with Myrtle ** who said she was in charge of deceased accounts. My question was why three years had gone by with no notification from anyone regarding this issue to me. My address hasn't changed, my name hasn't changed and I've continue to be a customer for 15+ years. She said it had been collections for 3 years (news to me) and now the amount had been discharged. When I asked why I had not been notified, she didn't know why. My husband's estate has been completed for 2 years.

When I asked who I could speak to that would answer these questions, her response was: "that's me". So I said "you left this file to sit for three years and didn't update it?" and she said "I'm one person, I have 4,500 accounts to do". THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM!!! Short staff is not an excuse for me to pay taxes on $2,000.00. Oh, by the way, yes, I was the executrix for his will! This woman is a sorry excuse for an employee in charge of an entire department. I will say that overall I have been satisfied with the bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Opened my checking account today, will close it tomorrow. I asked them NOT to do a hard credit check, for check overdraft. They promised me they would not. The did! Website is joke. Tried to enter address for Target and would not accept it. This is the WORST bank I have ever dealt with. If you open an account, good luck navigation thru their archaic website.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have been a customer with this bank since 1994 with over 35,000 dollars in my regular checking account. I tried to deposit ten checks that were given to me from June thru August 2018. These arrogant thieves refused to accept three checks because this bank has a 6 month grace period on checks. These company checks are from a Fortune 500 company with Billions in assets and money. This company is worth more than this bank. Having been a customer for over Two Decades and refusing bluntly to deposit those three checks, I will put my money in my Trusted Navy Federal Credit Union forever and fire this bank. After this fiasco with this bank, I decided to deposit all ten checks in my Trusted Navy Federal Credit Union money market account without a hitch. God Bless Navy Federal Credit Union. They are great and they value Veterans like me and my fellow service members who serve this great nation. Good riddance to BB&T. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

BB&T Fraud Event - January 15, 2019 - I saw a charge on my account and did not recognize it. I put a hold on my account on the phone. I went into my branch and spoke with my personal banker about it. My first question was “Where is this draft of $** going to?” If he had researched at that very point, we would have saved ourselves a lot of time and anguish. Instead, I spent 3 hours with him going over my last few statements. Then closing the account and opening another. All the while, this was a draft for a new car I had purchased with a loan from Allegacy Credit Union. Allegacy Credit Union was nowhere to be seen on the statement, but was readily available to my personal banker, via a phone call or email.

When BB&T supplied info to Allegacy Credit Union initially to set up the draft, they provided an old document that had old info from an old employer of mine. It was a direct deposit form and should have been a draft form of some type. Both are acceptable. Either way, delete the old information or white it out or whatever, but make the effort; if you are using an old document erase fields that do not directly apply to the new situation.

After setting up the new account, I was given a new temp debit card to use until my new card arrived. I left the bank, tried to use the card three hours later and was not able to use it. I walked into another BB&T and inquired. Apparently my personal banker did not make the transfer. We called him and he was at lunch. This matter could not be resolved instantly, and I was denied my funds until the next day. The next day was a holiday and as you may imagine, I needed gas and groceries. I had to use an emergency credit card that I am lucky to have BUT DO NOT LIKE USING!

I used the temporary debit card for a week or two. All of the sudden it did not work anymore, ok I say to myself, "Let's activate the new card that was in an envelope and I had not yet opened." I opened the envelope, went to my online banking to activate, and it was already activated. Does this happen automatically? It is not supposed to. My personal banker became upset with me and was rude. That was the final straw. Follow up phone calls showed him trying to recover from this, but the damage was done and I was determined to end my 32-year relationship with BB&T.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Updated on 01/31/2019: So a few weeks ago BB&T at the Miami Beach branch on 41st stole $180 from me in overdraft. I showed them the proof where their mistake was and they just refused to return my money. I decided to opt out of overdraft and I watched my account closely. I made sure there was sufficient money in the bank and someway I just got an alert that Im being charged with overdraft again. This is the worst bank I have ever worked with! I still cant believe they can do this. They dont post everything online and give you fake availability reports so they can charge you later for something. They make millions with all the customers they do this to. I am a real estate agent and I will never have a client work with this bank. I imagine how they can fraudulently steal your money on a mortgage.

Original Review: I just got charged $180 in overdraft fees even though I balanced my account and their system showed that there was sufficient funds in the bank. The vice president at this branch said "it is what it is" and refused to refund what was charged. I mentioned Chase would never do this and she said that, "Then you should go to Chase," and brushed me aside.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I know I probably can call the bank and talk to someone, but at this point, I just don't want to. I have had issues paying my car loan online, but this time, this was the worst. First of all, after being told by the recording, I will be on hold for 12 minutes, it ended up being 30 minutes. The person that finally answered, (I would have list her name, and I usually write their names, but I didn't this time). I will admit that after being on hold for such a long time, didn't make me a happy camper and her being very sarcastic, didn't help the situation. It is not always the easiest thing to make payments on their website, and I was only trying to get help with it. I feel as if all of her questions were very sarcastic. Now, because of her "smart" responses, I just hung up.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I am extremely upset with this bank. They tell you one thing and then do the opposite of what they tell you. They do NOT watch out for their customers and will take your money and not give it a second thought. Then when you try to reach people, no one will talk to you. I have two business accounts at this bank and in one of the account there was some activity that was not authorized and they let it go through (put me in the hole over 5000.00). They put my account in a negative balance and when I saw this I contacted them right away. Worked with them for weeks and did everything they asked of me.

Then once all said and done, we came to agreement that they were going after the persons bank to get my money back (which will take 6 months to do) and that they wanted me to put money in that account to bring it positive (which I had until Feb 5th). It hasn’t even been a month, just a week or so and they decided to pull out of my billing account (to pay bills, and employees) and charge my account off. Which I remind you; if you charge an account/close then the funds they receive back (from that other bank that processed it) have nowhere to go, because they can’t find the account.

This time they took over 1400.00 out of the other account, without reading the CSR’s and managers notes or anything (or someone didn’t put their notes). But the Branch manager showed me it shows, they are trying to get my money back, so I know that it in there. If they would have read the notes, this account would have never been messed with due to them trying to get my money back. I have filed a complaint with corporate, but I still don’t think they will do anything; I have lost all faith with this bank. They have not protected me at all! I do not trust them at all now and I have been with them for years. But, yet if I was in the wrong or did something wrong, then why would they refund me all the fees back on that account. MY RECOMMENDATION: RUN! They will steal you blind and they don’t care about protecting anyone/customers, only themselves.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My card was declined at a Chinese restaurant and a grocery store. I paid cash, however the transactions were still taken out of my account. Been on hold with customer service for 35 minutes. Would like to know what is happening.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have had previous business bank accounts at other well known banks but decided to give BB&T a chance since they are just a few doors down from my office. While they have many of the same positives and negatives as some of the larger chains, I caution anyone looking to open a business account to go elsewhere. This is long, but worth the read. Allow me to explain:

1. Online banking bait & switch. Most of the other banks I've crossed will show your pending transactions in your online account, they will also show your balance +/- the pending items. For example, if your balance is $100, and you have a -$25 transaction most banks will show an available balance of $75. Not BB&T. They do not calculate your pending transactions. This can be problematic if, like me you often have multiple transactions +/- moving through your account. The reason I call this a bait and switch is because more than once a month, they will clear the -$ transaction before 6am and hold my credit, charging me overage fees only to have my deposit clear after 8am. How this can be legal, I have no idea. To date I have been charged nearly $650 in fees for this alone.

2. Their customer service is terrible. On multiple occasions, like the problem listed above; they explain that they have the right to refund up to 2 overdraft fees a year (common at most banks as a courtesy) yet, they won't do it. Literally, they flat out said they just won't. 3. Pesky check verification. Each pay period I issue an average of 40 checks from my account. (Each with the proper signature on trusted checks with verification and watermarking.) The first week I issued payroll, I received at least 15 verification phone calls. It wasnt enough that they needed to know that I wrote the check. They wanted me to verify the total and the check number. Imagine being at the grocery store on a Saturday morning with a bank teller explaining that they won't issue the employee their earned wages unless you can provide that information. Insanity.

When I called the manager and explain how ridiculous this was, he offered an additional service "at a low, low cost!" That would keep the employees' information in their system to avoid this issue. I politely explained there was no way I would pay them extra to cash checks I had in fact written. He later came up with a workaround, now my HR person has to email a list of each employee, check number and total to the manager each week and my employees are only allowed to cash them directly at the local branch. Inconvenient, annoying and ridiculous.

4. Random check holds. Understandably, when I first opened my account with BB&T they held any check I received for 2 weeks. Now I've been banking with them for nearly 3 months and they decide at random how long and what amount they will hold. Literally. Last week I deposited nearly $4,000 in checks that cleared immediately. Today, I deposited $2,500 and was told "$100 is available now, $100 will be available tomorrow and the rest will be available next week." When I inquired about the hold the teller condescendingly replied "well, the system wants to hold it for 7 days but as a courtesy I overrode it to only hold for 2. You're welcome." Literally, that was the explanation.

5. Local tellers are rude. I don't think it's fair to rate the tellers nationally since I can only speak for the tellers at my local branches but overall they have some of the worst customer service attitudes. For lack of a better descriptive term they are hood. They roll their eyes, the one I interacted with today sucked her teeth at me and they are dismissive. They play on their phones while you wait and don't explain anything thoroughly. Unfortunately this seems to be the case at the 4 different branches in Maryland that I've walked into.

Overall, I'd leave this bank immediately except that I just transferred to this bank and have nearly $1,000 worth of checks that I just ordered. As soon as my stock gets low, I'm absolutely getting out of their clutches. Honestly, each bank has their drawbacks but I have never worked with a bank this terrible ever. Run, take your money anywhere else.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

BB&T Closed my account in August 2018, with a positive balance of $2,400 plus dollars. Keep in mind BB&T never sent me the remaining funds when they closed my account in August 2018. However, every month I get a statement from BB&T Bank about a service fee they are taking out of the account that they closed. Why have you not refunded your client monies in the account when you BB&T closed the account; and secondly, why charge a customer a service fee on an account that you closed 6 months ago. Looking to hire an attorney to file at $500,000.00 suit against this bank for fraud, theft and deceptive practices.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I went to my local branch in Shelby, NC today to transfer money from one account to another. They acted like they'd never done this before! I do this monthly so I know they can do it. The PIN pad messed up due to the fact the teller didn't know what she was doing. She looked at me and said she'd messed it up so she couldn't help me anymore today. Another teller was standing there watching TV and when I asked her if she could do anything she just shrugged and turned away. They've recently closed the branch that I went to for almost ten years so now this is the only branch in a twenty mile radius. Even though it was further away I went to the other branch and they were able to complete my transaction without any problems.

I don't want to have to travel twenty miles to do my banking and I'm definitely not going back to the closer branch. I asked to speak to the branch manager and, of course, she wasn't available. After my current checks at BB&T clear I will be changing banks. The tellers are always rude and act like you're bothering them when you go in to do any business. Life is too short to deal with people who don't want to do their job. Another problem I have frequently is with their online banking. It's either down or asks me for my security questions every time I try to log in. I use the same browser every time I log in so this shouldn't be happening.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Well... Dec. 21, 2018 I needed two $10.00 bills in exchange for my $20.00 bill. Christmas and I wanted to give my two grandsons $10.00 each. So as I walked by the BB&T Bank in the (Kentlands) Gaithersburg, Md. and went inside to change my $20.00 bill. I walk up to the teller with my $20.00 bill in hand - set it on

the counter in front for the teller. I ask her if I can get two $10.00 bills (as I start to hand her the money) she said "DO YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT", I said I would just like to change my $20 for two $10's. She starts getting snippy and said she can only do it if I have an account. I asked to speak to the manager, he came over and repeated the same thing about needing an account. He said I could open an account and then he would help me.

Mind you I never said I did not have an account with this bank. I do have an account but will close it because of the bank policy. Called the corporate office and they said it is up to the bank manager if he wants to make change for me. As I stand at the counter with them on the phone the manager tell me that she (the person on the phone) is just a call center and he still refused to change the money. Now this is only $20.00 changed to two $10.00, what the hell is this bank doing in business? It's a sad day when you can not go into a bank and get change.

I got the manager's business card, flip it over and on the back it said, "My Commitment To You. Reliable - I am dependable and you can count on me. Responsive - I act quickly to help you with your needs. Empathetic - I listen to you and am sensitive to your feeling. Competent - I am equipped with the skills and knowledge to help you." All of this was on the back of his business... And to think he would not change my $20.00 bill for two $10.00 Ha! Ha! THIS BANK IS A JOKE. STAY AWAY. This could be why they cannot keep employees, it seems like every other week they have new people working. I tried call their home office but no one would talk to me. Have a great day and put your money in a different bank.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

This has to the most incompetent online service I have ever "Tried" to use. Notice the word tried. I have had a mortgage with them for over a year and only been able to access my online account 2 times. I now have to go into the bank to pay my mortgage payments. I have set and reset and set and reset...my security questions and answers. Each time I write them down and store them away for my next failed attempt at logging in. Each time it ask questions I have never answered. Then you call them and they act as if it is a huge task to take assist me or even take a payment. I have never seen a company that is so difficult to give some money to. I do my personal banking at NCSECU North Carolina state employees credit union. I will be looking to change my mortgage to a bank that is actually willing to accept my payment and not act like it is a matter of national security to show me my balance and when my payment is due.

I am currently writing this as sit on hold to once again try to unlock my online mortgage access. Just so I can see a message they sent by email telling me important changes have been made and log in to see the changes. Keep in mind I didn't choose BB&T as my mortgage holder. When I bought my house the company that wrote the loan which was Alpha Mortgage and they sold the loan to BB&T without me knowing. I can say that I will never bank with BB&T for anything and if you can't stand not being able to look at your loan and go online to pay without sitting on hold for at least 20 to 30 minutes each time to unlock your account. Then I suggest you find another Bank to use. Make sure your realtor knows to tell the company writing the loan to not sell it to BB&T either. Stay away. Stay away. Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

In 2008 my brother lost everything in a failed vacation development in NC. BB&T provided loans that they shouldn't have made and lost money too. NOW Christmas 2018 they have served my destitute brother with a search and seize warrant to take his household possessions and his car away from him based on their 10 year old loss. He has been in negotiations with them for a year trying to settle this, but they decided to wish him a Merry Christmas with THIS!!! Shame on you BB&T!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Ok so went to use my bank card and declined. Called 800# and they said acct closed. They said I ordered a new bank card. I laughed said, "** really?" I said, "No I didn’t." 2x this has happened. Also I can’t drive anymore. Too sick. I have ID but it’s expired. The wench put a note on computer not to let me get any money out till I get new ID. Well kinda hard because I’m really sick and I can’t take bus and can’t stand in line. They don’t care. So now I’m waiting on new card to come that I again did not order and I have no food and I need to get dog food but they don’t care. Think I'mma call headquarters.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

BB&T charges you a overdraft fee if your account goes into the negative for a pending transaction and then charges you a second overdraft fee once the pending transaction post. So they are charging you twice for the transaction and then giving you two overdraft fees. When you try to talk to a representative they act like they don’t understand it all.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

All employees on this bank is no experience and if you need cash a check you have to wait 40 minutes and if you request a code he send it to you after 2 hours. Keep your money in your pocket is better for you so please stay away from headache.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I am more than upset and this is one Bank I am never going to stop filing about. I will file ten years from now. I had a direct deposit from work which usually goes into account Thursday evening and posts on Friday. Two days after my deposit I started paying bills and never once went over my deposited amount. I got overdrafts fees totaling over $400 $144 on one day $144, the next day $36 plus $36 the day after that. When I called for answers and went into the branch I was lied to. Told to come back the next day. The next day I went back the bank was closing for good moving furniture out.

I went to another branch and they told me I couldn't dispute the fees because I didn't wait until my direct deposit cleared. Never have I heard of a DIRECT DEPOSIT HAVING TO CLEAR. Along with the fact they waived one fee and three different branches told me three different things. So all branches run their own way? I had a plan for the holidays for my kids and they took half of my next check when I don't even owe them money. They robbed me. Took away from my kids and I paid all my bills two months out to be able to have this freedom they stole from us. I'm not giving up. I'll report them every single week.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Our house burned down two years ago. We had insurance through the bank. Insurance has cut us two checks. Which were both lost. The last one we even endorsed at our local bank. And they still lost it. Tried to foreclose on our house and the check is more than enough to cover what's owed. Been over two years and my wife and I and two kids are still homeless. Don't know what to do.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

13 yrs. & 4 months on a interest only loan & a beginning balance of $54,200 is now $52,059.13. Interest paid in that time. $26,174.13 missing 2006, 2017, & 2018. I searched about what the time length is on a interest only loan & it is about 5 yrs. I feel like I am being taken advantage of.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been seeing the fraudulent trial credit and debit in my account from different people several times. After he/she checked that my account is valid, they withdrew money out from my account. BBT should stop this type of transaction and arrest those people. My bank is Bank of America. Unfortunately, Bank of America could not do anything for us. It is a very bad scam.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My mortgage was sold to BB&T bank a few years ago, I haven’t had a lot of issues with them until this year, but they have sure made up for it. At the end of 2017 I changed my insurance company, I notified BB&T in writing like I was told to do. In February I got a notice from BB&T saying I owed another 3200 in my escrow, it took 6 months of fighting with them just to find out that they had paid both insurance companies instead of just the new one. It is now November and I have talked to multiple people at the bank and got nothing but lies from them, saying I missed a payment over this insurance deal, I have sent copies of all of my checks for the entire year and just get ignored. This is the most dishonest bank I have ever seen in my life, if you have a mortgage with them, change banks if you can.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I recently sold a house in Georgia because I was moving to Arizona. I was in communications with my local banker at BB&T throughout the process and told him we were moving to Arizona and would be buying a new home. When the Georgia house was sold, the proceeds (nearly $100K) was wired into my BB&T account without any problems. The problems arose when I tried to buy a home in Arizona. BB&T would not allow me to wire money out of my account unless I appeared at a branch in person. I offered to get an authorization letter they required notarized at a new bank, but they wanted to see my face. The closest BB&T branch to Arizona is in Dallas, TX.

They would not allow me to transfer more than $20K per 30-days from one account to another (the market is hot here, we found a home very quickly and needed to close within 30 days). I needed over $50K for downpayment and closing costs. They offered to mail me checks (I never got checks when I opened the account) and promised they would arrive by Wednesday or Thursday the week before our closing. My new bank said that if I deposited a personal check on Thursday (one week before closing) they would release the funds as long as BB&T would verify the funds were in the account. It is now end of day Thursday and the checks have not been delivered.

The amount of stress this bank has caused is ridiculous. If I have to fly to a branch next week it will cost $700-1000 for the flight, plus $30 to wire the money out of BB&T to my new bank. That doesn't include the other travel expenses (airport parking or Uber rides, hotel stay for one night, any food I might buy, etc.). That means it will cost me around $1000 to get my own money out of my own account to purchase a new home. I find that unacceptable. They didn't do anything to earn the money, why are they allowed to hold it hostage?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Had the same account for almost 30 years from First Virginia to Farmers and now BB&T. Stuck with them through some rough patches like when they sold my mortgage THEN they started charging me a service fee on my checking account because I didn't have a mortgage with them, the day of infamy last spring when nobody had access to their money (that made national news). But the final straw was them putting a 10 day hold on a check I desperately needed because it was "unusual activity". WTF!? Did you just accuse me of criminal activity???

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I've been banking with BB&T for some years now and I am very disappointed at the fact that the atm at Boone trail location in Fayetteville NC is always broken. It's been a real pain as to this place is close to my home and anytime I go to deposit check or cash or get funds out it's broken. I am surrounded by other banks First Citizens, Wells Fargo as to which I am seriously thinking about switching. Please fix this problem.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Excessive charges when calling off hours for questions concerning transactions. Also customer service at Adamstown branch is pitiful. Plus always denied for a loan or cc. This bank is nothing more than a political bank for millionaires. They have no respect for the low end customers. Every time you call to question a transaction they come up with answers unrelated to the issues at hand. Claim they dispute issues concerning the customer when in fact it never left the office. Now they tell customers to leave and find another bank. Unfortunately when you have SSID and pension automatically deposit it's hard to do that. However I rate this bank the worst I have ever had. I statement is BB&T stop buying out banks 'cause you ** them all up. It was better when it was Susquehanna 'cause they work with the customer.

BB&T Company Information

www.bbt.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.