1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

711 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My mortgage was sold to BB&T bank a few years ago, I haven’t had a lot of issues with them until this year, but they have sure made up for it. At the end of 2017 I changed my insurance company, I notified BB&T in writing like I was told to do. In February I got a notice from BB&T saying I owed another 3200 in my escrow, it took 6 months of fighting with them just to find out that they had paid both insurance companies instead of just the new one. It is now November and I have talked to multiple people at the bank and got nothing but lies from them, saying I missed a payment over this insurance deal, I have sent copies of all of my checks for the entire year and just get ignored. This is the most dishonest bank I have ever seen in my life, if you have a mortgage with them, change banks if you can.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I recently sold a house in Georgia because I was moving to Arizona. I was in communications with my local banker at BB&T throughout the process and told him we were moving to Arizona and would be buying a new home. When the Georgia house was sold, the proceeds (nearly $100K) was wired into my BB&T account without any problems. The problems arose when I tried to buy a home in Arizona. BB&T would not allow me to wire money out of my account unless I appeared at a branch in person. I offered to get an authorization letter they required notarized at a new bank, but they wanted to see my face. The closest BB&T branch to Arizona is in Dallas, TX.

They would not allow me to transfer more than $20K per 30-days from one account to another (the market is hot here, we found a home very quickly and needed to close within 30 days). I needed over $50K for downpayment and closing costs. They offered to mail me checks (I never got checks when I opened the account) and promised they would arrive by Wednesday or Thursday the week before our closing. My new bank said that if I deposited a personal check on Thursday (one week before closing) they would release the funds as long as BB&T would verify the funds were in the account. It is now end of day Thursday and the checks have not been delivered.

The amount of stress this bank has caused is ridiculous. If I have to fly to a branch next week it will cost $700-1000 for the flight, plus $30 to wire the money out of BB&T to my new bank. That doesn't include the other travel expenses (airport parking or Uber rides, hotel stay for one night, any food I might buy, etc.). That means it will cost me around $1000 to get my own money out of my own account to purchase a new home. I find that unacceptable. They didn't do anything to earn the money, why are they allowed to hold it hostage?

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Had the same account for almost 30 years from First Virginia to Farmers and now BB&T. Stuck with them through some rough patches like when they sold my mortgage THEN they started charging me a service fee on my checking account because I didn't have a mortgage with them, the day of infamy last spring when nobody had access to their money (that made national news). But the final straw was them putting a 10 day hold on a check I desperately needed because it was "unusual activity". WTF!? Did you just accuse me of criminal activity???

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I've been banking with BB&T for some years now and I am very disappointed at the fact that the atm at Boone trail location in Fayetteville NC is always broken. It's been a real pain as to this place is close to my home and anytime I go to deposit check or cash or get funds out it's broken. I am surrounded by other banks First Citizens, Wells Fargo as to which I am seriously thinking about switching. Please fix this problem.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Excessive charges when calling off hours for questions concerning transactions. Also customer service at Adamstown branch is pitiful. Plus always denied for a loan or cc. This bank is nothing more than a political bank for millionaires. They have no respect for the low end customers. Every time you call to question a transaction they come up with answers unrelated to the issues at hand. Claim they dispute issues concerning the customer when in fact it never left the office. Now they tell customers to leave and find another bank. Unfortunately when you have SSID and pension automatically deposit it's hard to do that. However I rate this bank the worst I have ever had. I statement is BB&T stop buying out banks 'cause you ** them all up. It was better when it was Susquehanna 'cause they work with the customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

BB&T loan department is the WORST!! Went to the bank on a Saturday to apply. Got a phone call EVERY DAY to get more info from us. My husband & I have been banking with them for 15 years...he's been with them 27 years. Today (Fri) they call to say we've been denied & proceed to explain why. I cut the woman off & said no need to explain, my husband called USAA & we got approval already...SAME DAY TOO!! Then told her they were a joke & that we would NEVER refer anyone to them. Let me mention that this woman also called me today to get info that we gave to her on SATURDAY!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This bank is the worst. I work in the business and help people get loans all the time. I have worked with many different lenders. This one is the worst. They do not properly pre-qualify buyers, employees rarely answer their phones, horrible follow-up and ultimate lack of performance will cause your transaction to fail, at your expense. Stay Away!!! Go to your local lender and avoid Big Banks especially BBT and Bank of America. They are the worst! Can't say it enough.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I never write reviews but BB&T is the worst bank ever. Please do not bank with BB&T. This is a fraud banking company. They charged me $72 for being overdrafted $23. They claim they can only waive one fee every two years. There were fraudulent charges on my account and they allowed the charges to go through even though my account was already in the negative and charges me a $144 overdrafted fee and I had to wait until charges clear to be refunded. They then declined my dispute and refuse to give me my money back. Took two months to be refunded. If your account is $75 overdrafted they will not allow any charges to be made on the account but if it’s $100 or more overdrafted they allow charges to go through on your account to charge more overdrafted fees. This bank is terrible and the customer service sucks. I will be leaving BB&T I have never experienced the amount of disappointment with a bank that I have with BB&T.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

BB&T has shut down my card every time I've turned around. Last night after running out of gas on I 75 I walked to gas station to get gas. You needed cash for deposit to get gas can! So I went to ATM my card won't work. I walked to a BB&T bank there ATM rejects card. After calling the bank no answers or can't help is all I got. I ended up sleeping if you can call it that in my car on a 38 degree night Just to wake go to work by foot. Call BB&T 3 banks could not understand the code used to turn off card was no help. I called complaint department was told they would file a form and someone would call within 8 days lol. One more don't plan on using online banking if you’re thinking of using BB&T. It's never correct changes your balance even when nothing has gone thru account and it goes offline all the time. And if you call complaint department you cannot get a number for corporate office. The operator owns the company.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

After a 45 minute hold since the initial customer service person refused to give me a payoff it seems if you want a loan payoff you have to FAX a request into some "special" department if you are doing a refi but no one at that department can give you a payoff over the phone, or even by email. Today is 10/22 and I wanted an 11/1 payoff since that is the day my payment is paid electronically by my bank.

Their other option was to drive to a BBT office; I explained the closest one was an hour away. I asked the lady how many people have a fax in their home, I asked if she did and of course the response was "no". They are not even nice about it. Clearly they don't want you to pay off a loan by making it as hard as possible. I guess they want to collect that last few cents of interest. I will never give them another dime of my money nor will I ever entertain letting them quote my Insurance. I can't even imagine what a claim paid would be like. Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere for a car loan.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My granddaughter lives with us, she was involved in a auto accident, other person fault, totaled her car. After two months of dealing with the other person’s insurance company, we finally got an reasonable settlement. My granddaughter received a check and she deposited it on a Friday, it was a large amount, BB&T put a 7 day hold plus 2 weekend which amounts to 11 day. I went to the bank and asked them why. I asked to talk to a manager, the teller told me that no one was there today, so I had to talk to the teller. She told me that it's up to the bank, at their discretion to hold the check, and that there was nothing that we could do about it. My granddaughter has be without a car for two months. Now she has to wait until the bank clears the check, and they are wrong about nothing we can do about it. As soon as the check clears, GOODBYE BB&T. I have heard many other horror story about this bank. DO NOT BANK AT BB&T.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This company is a fraud!!!! DO NOT sign up with this bank PLEASE. They steal your money. If you don't have enough funds and an automatic payment tries to come out they will still charge you $36 without the automatic payment going through. This company is the worst. I WOULD NOT recommend this company. My banker did not tell me about this until I called customer service. I've been with this company for over a year. PLEASE SEEK ANOTHER BANKING COMPANY!!!! Closing my account tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Mad I have to give them one star. Been a customer since taking out a jumbo mortgage 8 years ago. Opened two checking accounts at same time to facilitate payments and for expenses for a rental property. Opened two credit cards for same purposes. Started having problems immediately applying payments to wrong accounts, holding funds for abnormally long periods, their auto phone system is archaic and ineffective getting you to anyone who knows what they are talking about - or even harder somebody who can get anything accomplished.

Even then, took out a 2nd mortgage (stupidly) for a remodel and that just accelerated the problems. After a couple of years of this foolishness, closed the credit cards, closed the 2nd and today I am moving the checking accounts. They state setting up a 3rd party transfer bank takes 3 days (!!) - (my Credit Union did it AND made the payment in a couple of hours). After FOUR days, they say it may take another THREE days and couldn't care less. That's it, I'm done. May refi my 1st just to get away from them. WORST bank ever.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

So upset I had to even give one star. I've been branching with BB&T since they were Susquehanna. Never had any issues until BB&T took over. And now I always have issues. The newest issue happened Friday when they took money $280 to be exact from my personal bank acct and put it into the negative one of my husband's which my name is just on but I never use. He only has one card for the acct. I only use my personal acct and a separate joint acct we have. Anyway, my husband made 2 purchased using the wrong card since the cards are exactly alike. He didn't know his mistake since BB&T let the purchases go through. He spent about $45 total between two stores. Well I don't notice until a few weeks later when I am helping him check his acct that it's even negative. So he assures me he will pay it. So I don't worry about it because I don't use that acct.

So it's been about a month and a half since this has happened and my husband was going to pay it when his next check came because it was a free check. So I happen to check my personal acct and see $280 was taken from my personal acct and put into his acct to make it positive. I was not told of the transaction nor did I approve. I especially am upset cause there are $240 in fees. Seeing how every single day you're negative it charges $8 more. I call and they basically tell me I'm screwed and to call back Tuesday (tomorrow) because I didn't notice early enough Friday and the dept I needed is closed. I don't get how they can transfer my personal money without approving through me. I am calling Tuesday to try and at least get the fees back and then I am closing my acct with them. Their fees are ridiculous and they always put their customers last.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I opened a Savings account 7 days ago, since BB&T recently financed my used car purchase. I thought this would facilitate ease of making payments, so I could transfer funds to the account before the payment was due, and schedule an auto-payment. So far, my funds are still on "Administrative Hold" after repeated inquiries. I was told 4 "business days, but today is the 5th business day. The account was opened online with a fund transfer, not even a check! So the funds are already out of the other account... So what is BB&T doing with my money, while I do not have access to it? I have emailed "my banker" from the site, and was told he requested the hold to be released. I will be closing this account later today, if they are not released in the next few hours. VERY DISAPPOINTED in the way they do business. Unfortunately, I am stuck with them for my car loan... UGH!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

BB&T closed our account for no reason after my husband's new business began to receive payments through the account. We have been a long time customer and just started receiving payments to our account from a new income stream. They flagged this as fraud and closed our account. They would not talk to him on the phone and said he must come into the branch and prove his business was legitimate. He had to travel to Miami to show all his business paper work, but before he got there they'd already closed the account.

They also went in and reversed the payments back to his customers after the services were completed. They blocked any access to his account. We could not access the money, but any direct deposits or incoming money was still accepted into the account. No one called and talked to my husband about any of this. Once the lady at the bank gave him a number to call, the fraud department informed him they will send him a certified check if anything was left. BB&T is one of the most fraudulent banks out there. Stay far away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

BB&T is usually good, I’ve been with them for 4 years and have never had a problem until now. However this problem is so beyond frustrating that I don’t even want to have an account with them anymore. Their overdraft fees are complete **. I paid someone $1,700 through Venmo and BB&T didn’t take it out until a week later! Since I technically still had that money in my account, I spent some money on food that I knew would take me into negative balance IF the 1,700 was taken out. However, I also had another sum of money that was being put in, but was still processing. So I knew it’d be fine because even though the money wasn’t in yet, it would be by the time I was charged the $1,700 and therefore I would not go into the negatives.

So then I get a message that I’m being charged an overdraft fee all because my PENDING transactions go over the amount of money I have. So keep in mind they haven’t even processed my payments yet, but since the pending transactions went over, they prematurely charged me an overdraft fee, not even waiting until they actually took the money out. Which if they waited until they did take the money out, the $50 that I had being put in would have covered the other pending transactions.

Secondly, I signed up originally for BB&T to just not let me make any transactions if they were going over my limit. Since BB&T apparently punishes you for pending ones, they shouldn’t have even let me overspend my money if it would end up being negative. A few months ago I changed it so that if I did ever overspend, they would take money out of my savings account and put it in my checking account to make sure my checking doesn’t become negative. Surprise surprise, they didn't do that either when they should have! So, even if that didn’t work they still should have declined my original transaction for food, which they didn’t. I’ll be calling and trying to get the fee waived, but if that doesn’t work they can count on me to close all my accounts with them and join a new, better bank. :)

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Just recently, I received a call from BB&T's fraud department, telling me that they had stopped a transaction from Utah. In the past year, BB&T stopped a charge from New England that was for meeting people online. Another time, I was in Sam's on the East coast, shopping for the month, and picking up medication. My card was denied, the bank had put a stop on it. Naturally I was upset, so I opened up my iPhone to call BB&T and discovered where I had missed several calls from the bank. I knew something was wrong and most assuredly, charges for a hotel reservation and charges at a restaurant from California were being stopped by the bank, and they were calling to see if they had acted accordingly. Embarrassment of the card being denied at Sam's was quickly forgotten. BB&T are not perfect but their diligence in monitoring charges far overrides their imperfection.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Please stay away from this bank! I got an alert that a transaction came through on my account. I immediately called the bank to report it as fraud. While on the phone with the bank, TWO MORE went through. These people had the nerve to tell me that they couldn’t do anything until the payments posted. I called back the next day and reported these transactions as fraud and a claim was filed. The following day more money had left the account but with no transaction history which put the account into negatives. I had to act out of my charting order to get the claim expedited which still had not been resolved. When/if this account is rectified, I am closing the account and going the other way! Stay away!!! They suck!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had a check that I wrote on a Friday afternoon to a vendor. I had deposited a check on the Monday before and it was returned. I found out on Saturday so on Sunday I deposited cash to make sure I had funds available I wrote on Friday after 5 pm. On Monday the check came through the account, I was showing the cash being deposit on hold. Who place a deposit cash on hold that I did they did before? They paid the check but they charged an overdraft with the cash being in the bank. They are thieves!!! Worst bank ever!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Stay away from this bank from Space if you have the ability to do so. I have thousands of dollars on the account but they blocked my card for security purposes cause I was trying to send some money thru Facebook to my wife which needed the money cause her car broke down on the highway. I understand security measures and I appreciate that but I have been on hold for the last 5 hours with BB&T and she is still stuck there with our little baby. Stay away from this bank.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

From day 1, BB&T is very unprofessional and will do anything to suck your money out of your bank. They will send someone to drive by your house if they do not receive your payment on time and will charge you $20 for driving by. Why don't they call and ask you if you have sent in a payment. I sent $217,000 to BB&T to pay off the mortgage loan on August 15, 2018, but they said they cannot apply the money to my account until September 1st for various reason. I believe, they just want to charge you the interest for 15 more days is the reason. They stated they will make sure, we do not get charged for the extra 15 days, and the pay off amount would be the same.

Today is September 20, I called them to ask why I have not received any document to prove that my loan is paid in full. I was told that I still owe $217,000 because of their mistake. At this point, my blood pressure went off the roof, and people need to see this review. I asked them to look at the prior conversations with BB&T the manager said she would type up concerning this. Guess what??? They said it was my fault for not calling them back on August 31st to tell them to take the money out. They also said the manager I spoke with in August deleted the statements, so there is no proof that we want the loan to be paid in full on September 1st. Remember, we sent them $217,000 on August 15th. Why would I sent in that much money to them for no reason, anybody with brain would figure this out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been a BB&T customer for 3 years now. My local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is WONDERFUL. Fast, friendly and efficient. Especially branch manager Ms. Kathy **. If I have the funds I'm sending her and all the ladies a fruit basket for Christmas. I'm very satisfied with them. But the company as a whole is officially my enemy. I hate it with a passion.

Anyway, around August 30th, just 3 days after I was in a major car accident, Capital One Auto Finance took TWO car payments out of my account putting me in a negative balance. When I called Capital One, they told me I had to contact my bank, BB&T, which I did RIGHT THEN AND THERE. BB&T gave me a claim number. They sent out a paper for me to sign which took TWO WEEKS. Really? I signed and went into my local branch. I watched Ms. Kathy ** fax the paperwork to the main office. I witnessed this with my own eyes. I call today, and lo and behold, BB&T claims they do not have the paperwork. I will fax it again, tomorrow, from my job, my local branch and my house.

Spoke with Kameka, who I was very nasty too in the last part of the conversation due to frustration, who said it will take ANOTHER 10 days to refund me my money. that's highly unacceptable. I went through the entire hurricane Florence WITHOUT ANY FUNDS because of this **. I really, really, really want to leave BB&T but the local branch in Hampton, South Carolina is the ONLY thing keeping me here. Give those ladies a raise. And Ms. Kameka, I am very sorry. You were just doing your job.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had fraud on my account approx. $1,000 worth of fraud. I immediately tried to dispute it, but was told that the transactions were pending & I had to wait. The transactions posted & then I was told it would take 5 days to resolve. This is a business account. A few years ago I had a similar issue with Chase on a business account. They credited me immediately pending the investigation. I have had a BB&T mortgage for over 13 years & we have numerous family accounts, they suck. In branch sac. is good, but the company as a whole is outdated & sucks. Every time I call them, I'm on hold for at least 20 min. They have flagged my card for fraud in error & they don't send a text or email, you are just looking like an idiot.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We opened a BB&T Business Credit Card (and Business Checking... But that's another complaint) in March and have yet to be able to use it on our business expenses. Every time we try to use it to pay vendors, suppliers, and other business-related expenses, BB&T declines the charges. Every. Single. Time. We have been on the phone with them now for many hours over the past few months trying to sort this out. Every time they say it's because of fraud alert and it's there to protect us from fraudulent charges. According to the phone reps, there is literally nothing we can do about it.

We asked if we called and told them ahead of time we would be in NYC for a trade event and would like to use the credit card there, would that prevent the charges from being rejected... THEY SAID 'NO'! A credit card that cannot be used because it is rejected EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Is useless for a small business owner. Today, our card was rejected AGAIN when we tried to pay a vendor with it. WE'RE DONE WITH BB&T. This is the worst banking experience I have had in my 51 years on planet Earth. As soon as this event is over and I can do the research, we are switching our business to another bank.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been banking with BB&T since before with Susquehanna Bank. I have never been very happy with BB&T, especially since no one in my local branch with whom I had a relationship is still there. I had opened a savings account 2 yrs ago for the specific purpose of transferring money into it from my Vanguard account. Money never stayed in the account and it was almost always at a zero balance. This purpose was explained to the banking person who opened it. For almost 2 yrs there was never an issue.

10 days ago, I transferred money from Vanguard. On Tuesday, I checked my BB&T accounts on-line and the account I set up to accept the money from Vanguard was gone. Upon calling my local branch, I was told it had a $0 balance in it for 2 months and at the discretion of the bank, it was closed. I was furious. I had never been contacted. I had never been told I needed to keep any amount of money in the account or I would have. Now, what is really egregious is that the money has still not been rejected by BB&T and returned to Vanguard. It will take up to 2 weeks to be returned to Vanguard!!! So, they can sit on my money and make interest. I was not able to use the money for the purpose for which I originally transferred it. And, I am not able to make money on it in my Vanguard account. I would be very careful if deciding to bank with BB&T to find out what exactly you are getting into.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Bank sent my money card to wrong address. It was activated and used. Took 600.00 out of my acct. Contacted fraud department. They canceled card. Put purchase from card under fraud. Then came back 10 days later. STS card was activated using my phone #. Advised them phone is off... then stated employer gave them my phone # when direct deposit app was taken. Advised them again that a lie... refused to replace my money stating because was activate using my phone # they are not going to replace money... what do I do next?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I gave a merchant my credit card details when I made an appointment for a $59 HVAC service. They NEVER provided that service (or any other service), but charged my card $137!!! I disputed the charge with BBT Credit cards. After making me jump through hoops and present all sorts of evidence regarding the false charge, they awarded the merchant the money anyway "because they said they provided the service". The merchant also presented a false invoice, and I presented irrefutable proof that it was falsified, but BBT found in favor of the merchant anyway. I am suing now BBT for malphisis and anything else I can find that they did wrong in this process. I am NOT letting them get away with it!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I have been a customer of BB&T Bank for 5 years and have always kept a high savings account and a lower checking account information. I signed up for the student account which is suppose to provide protections for your account and no minimum balance or monthly fees. I signed up for overdraft protection which is suppose to stop payments from being made from my checking account that could overdraft my account and also a link savings and checking protection plan which takes money from my savings to my checking if I fall short of money. That way I will always be covered I assumed. However, I woke up one day to 3 returned item fees of 36$ a piece.

And when I called and asked, "What happened?" They told me they didn’t see any of those protection plans listed in my account. I told them, "This is how I set up my account in 2013. Why has this not been shown," they couldn’t provide me with an answer and told me nothing could be done but to try to enroll me in those protection plans again so that it can be done in the future. They refused to refund the $108 dollars in returned items fees that have been lost. BB&T has the worst customer service and has lost a customer.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I can't believe I cannot speak to someone in the bank. I have been on hold for over an hour. Thank God for speaker phone. I had dinner, and guess what, I'm still on hold. Can you imagine if this was fraud alert. And this is at all hours. You can never get someone on the line immediately. So guess what, after 10 years I'm done. I'm taking my money to another bank. I'M DONE WITH YOU.

BB&T Company Information