1.17/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

BB&T

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 24, 2018

624 BB&T Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I get so tired of BB&T taking money from me. Mind you, I admit that sometimes I may have a check returned, but why do they make you pay for it over and over. They have taken $400 from my account because of 2 checks in the amounts of $15 and $20. That is highway robbery. I do not have a lot of money and I really try hard not to overdraft, but with my limited income because of retirement. There must be a limit on this practice of taking money in the name of bank fees. This time it is $300 because of a $50 check and a draft for $50 that did not make it. Please tell me this is illegal. I have direct deposits coming in monthly.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Wow, I've considered changing banks for a while but really didn't want to deal with it. After today however I'm over it. So you have a "system malfunction" on payday so my direct deposit that happened at midnight last night isn't there. You don't answer or return phone calls and when I go by the branch I get no answers. Now it is 3:41 in the afternoon and I have no money, I guess I'll tell my kids it's cereal for dinner because the money I worked so hard for all week isn't there because of BB&T's "system malfunction". I'm sure they are all knocking off right on time today too.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Let’s first start off by saying, "DONT BANK HERE. You’ll save yourself the stress!" The online system and the phone system has been down for the 2nd day now! There is no way of finding out your balance or anything unless you go into the branch which is time wasting because even once you go into the branch they take forever and they are unprofessional! This is not the first time the system has been down. One day I went to 4 ATM’s at different locations and they were all down! They don’t email you to let you know anything! They don’t post your ACCURATE transactions! Don’t bank here. I would close my account today but I need my bank card for Uber but tomorrow I will be closing my account!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

As I write this on 2/23/18 at 10:15 in the morning all avenues to access BB&T accounts via web, phone and ATM are down. This is the worst experience in banking I have ever seen in my 58 years. Feed the squirrels, crank the handle, do whatever it takes to keep your antiquated system up and running. These folks are behind the times.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

BB&T for the last 4 hrs in my area have reported the website down, mobile app and phone automated systems are down. They are not saying anything, not providing any updates or anything. It's just amazing on the day that the tax deposits went in they are having systems issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BB&T?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Disgraceful that their phone menu does not even have an avenue to talk to an actual human being... I am so mad about this that I will be finding another bank to deal with my home mortgage! Really BB&T not cool, I will tell everyone what a joke you are!!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Recently financed a vehicle thru BB&T, called for a pay off to move the note to my credit union. Good luck getting a person to answer. They will not give you a ten-day pay off over the phone only by mail. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, RUN DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS BANK. They will only send by mail so that they can per diem you and get that last bit of money from you. Even if you sign up online and access your account you cannot get a payoff from your account info. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a financial institution!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Each time I have tried to pay association fees at BB&T it has taken 15-20 min at the window and inside the bank as well. I don't and won't bank there ever. Just need to pay association fees without taking my entire lunch break to do so.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Time is worth money and that goes for a future customer. Clueless branch manager and staff in opening an account. One hand did not know what the other was doing. Instead of giving them fancy offices and name plaques, possibly hiring staff who know basic banking and computer skills might do a world of good. Bermuda Run branch horrible and Clemmons branch no better. Find skilled labor and pay them accordingly. You not only lost me as a potential customer but also my business accounts. Very happy that I now found an excellent bank that listens and has skilled staff to take my transactions.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I was questioned by Deanna ** an employee at Nicholson Branch Bank in Independence about being on FMLA because she heard that I was off work from of a co-worker who was a relative to someone who sat next to me where I was employed. Apparently, they have no privacy act in place with their employees. That is a severe violation of my privacy and she should not be discussing my private or work life to anyone. I highly advise changing to another bank since corporate won't do anything with this big mouth. Seriously, don't she have anything else to do at work except for gossip. Stay away from BB&T if you want your privacy invaded. They also use this as a selling tool. Get your information and try to shove their services down your throat. They are a sinking ship. Do your due diligence. I closed all my accounts with BB&T.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I changed to BBT Bank partly because the company I work for uses the bank and were offering a promotion and also because I am moving to NC where the bank has a strong presence. I have had accounts there for several months now and started to experience some odd things happening, things that I had never come across in years and years of banking at B of A and Suntrust.

Their online system is OK nothing out of the ordinary, but I did notice that a lot of charges are simply listed by an address not the business name which is unusual. Makes it hard to figure out what is what when you have a lot of charges, especially when traveling. Just a nuisance, but not the end of the world I admit. I also noticed from the getgo their branch buildings are kind of dank, not very pleasant, dull colors, smelly. I have been in several of their bank buildings locally and they are all pretty much the same. The people working in them don't seem very happy either.

However, what really started to tick me off was when I brought in a Bank Cashiers Check to deposit in my account from closing Suntrust. The teller said the funds will not be available for several days. I believe it actually ended up being close to 8 days. When I asked why this was I was told of some banking regulation or other. I protested and said this is a Bank Cashiers Check - it is as good as cash. Why do I have to wait? Again, same regulation was the response. Again I protested and said I don't understand, I have never heard of, or experienced, this before at any other bank. Anyway, I let it go.

Then just today, I deposited an expenses check from my company and was again told there was a hold. A portion of the check would be available in 48 hours and the balance sometime after that. Well that was it for me. I demanded to know why that was - the check was a BBT check from my company. Again, some regulation or other. I protested saying this was not right. The teller went off and came back a few minutes later and apologized and said she did not realize it was a BBT check (it was stamped right on it in big bold letters) and said the funds will be available before close of business that day. We shall see.

I know exactly what it is they are doing, and it is not good - they are taking my (or your) money and using it to make money themselves. Remember, these are not personal checks, they are named bank and BBT checks that should be as good as cash. Holding other people's money is a common practice in business, particularly the contracting business, and this temporary positive cash flow is used by companies to make money for themselves as it flows through their books. I have just never heard of this being done by a bank. I think it is very unscrupulous. The first day I move to NC I am moving my money elsewhere. I don't trust them. I wish I had done a little more research before putting myself in this bank.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Worst bank ever. Can anyone tell me if it is legal for them to charge $8 to cash a check that was on their bank then wouldn't cash a check that was on their bank. I could understand a check that's not on that's just they said. Had to have the guy that wrote it to me to come out and tell. Cause him a trip out. That's not the first time. I recommend everyone stay away from that bank. Nothing but trouble every time I’ve been in there.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I don't agree with their overdraft fee practices. They take as much overdraft fee as possible. They will take their time to post a transaction even though you have the funds and keep a positive balance on your account. They wait for an opportunity for another transaction to go in so that your account is negative. At this point is when they decide to post your early transaction so that they can charge you for two overdraft fees. It happened twice to me now. I have been a loyal customer for many years, but no more.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I have been with this bank briefly and I’m not happy at all. I've never been with a bank that takes days to post transactions. I keep a tight eye on my account but since I’ve opened this account I’ve paid over 8 overdraft fees. I’m not understanding cause I’ve banked with Chase and BofA and have never had this many issues with overdraft fees and transaction being there and then not there and then reappearing. Like I wish I could say it was me and first few times I thought it was. But I’m doing nothing different than I did with previous accounts.

I deposited a check today prior to cut off and a hold was placed which is cool. I called the customer service number and was advised not to worry. My funds would be available in the morning. I check my account and there is a exception/administrative hold on my check. Never have I ever experience this so now my account is tremendously overdrawn and I’m waiting on a direct deposit and have things to handle. I’m so over this bank. As soon as they release my money I’m closing that account down. I don’t want anything to do with BB&T. I’m beyond livid with this bank.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The reason I first loved BB&T was because they did not rearrange your transactions to take the largest bill out first like their competitors. This all changed in 2017. Now they rearrange your transactions so they can take as many overdraft fees as possible even though you had enough money for 9 out of 10 of your transactions. They also hold "Previous Day overdraft fee" for weeks! When you call to complain they give you the classic "well you should have a ledger and keep track of your account". As soon as my tax return is deposited I am canceling my account. I am SO disappointed. This once amazing company has become greedy and robbing its loyal customers blind.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I went to close my account, the agent advised me to take out as much as I needed but wait to close it until I switched everything to a new account. They charged me $12 a month for 8 months until I realized it! They 100% didn't tell me if I didn't leave $1500 or more in it then I would start to be charged monthly. Such a sneaky way to rob people. I used BBT for almost 10 years, but I will never go back.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Refused to give me a 10 day payoff, refused to give me my lien release. I am done. I will make sure they will never get a referral from me! I want my lien release sent to me, it's not anyone else's! Why are you sending it to my job who had to call and get the payoff because I would have had to wait 15 days.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The online banking system is horrible. I am constantly having to change my username and password. It tells me that my password is incorrect and to call the bank to unlock the account. I wait on hold for 30 minutes for them to unlock the account. I log in one time and then I'm locked out again. I'm so, so tired of this happening over and over again. I'm looking for another bank.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I wish I had read the reviews about this bank earlier, then I would not have to deal with this. Long story short and I was charged overdraft fee twice because their really slow system. All the money is there, never one cents short, I swear. While they were already charged me $36 first time, I called and they told me this is only one time courtesy refunded. The Representative told me, "I have already made a reversed fee to your account". While on the phone with her, I checked my online banking. I told her I have not seen any changed. She told me to log out and log back in to refresh the system, So I did. Nothing changed. She said it 's already in the system, she already saw it on her monitor.

I also asked her, "There will be a deducted amount money tomorrow that I already paid someone with my check. Is it ok for them to withdraw". She said "Yes, no problem! You are fine." My point is after I talked over the phone with her the all the minimum money would already be there. I just found out today, they charged me for the overdraft fee $36 again. I was beyond frustrated. I called them again. But you can guess what came afterwards, that there is no use. They are not listening. All they said is they cannot do anything about it. She recommended me the solution "Just use debit card, then you won't be overcharged for the fee again". I told her "My solution is I will get out of here and close my bank account down first thing tomorrow morning". My recommendation, don't even bother thinking about doing business with this bank. I learned my dumb reason, so don't make the same mistakes I do.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am a BB&T customer and have been for a many of years. I have never had real issues with this bank until the chip enabled changeover of the atm machine was put in at my location. I am a server, and am constantly making cash deposits on a daily basis. My issue is that the atm is non-functioning 80% of the time leaving me unable to make the deposits that I need, then charging overdraft fees. The new maintenance fee just seemed to pop out of nowhere and it falls on different days of the month keeping me guessing which day it will be coming out. I am just not a happy customer anymore and looking for a new bank.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

If I could give this bank negative stars, I would. My account was hacked from out of state. BB&T allowed the hacker to keep making charges over a two day span putting my account into the negative. When it was all said and done the hackers charged over $1000. BB&T response? Tough luck. I am a single mother who lives paycheck to paycheck. Every penny I have in this world I entrusted to BB&T. Now I have to wait up to 20 days to "possibly" get my money back. This means I do not have money to pay my sitter, my car, my rent, buy food for my 3 year old, etc. With no sitter I have no job. With no job... etc.

I spoke with a BB&T representative and then a supervisor, neither cared and read to me their script how they are "sorry but there is nothing we can do". "We understand... blah blah blah". You are sorry and you understand? Really? Then why are you keeping MY money? The customer service could not care any less than they already do. I was not only raped by the ** that stole my money, but I was raped by the bank that I trusted to protect my money. I have had minor to more major issues with BB&T (from not getting me my debit card to withholding funds) but I have stayed with them despite my better judgment. No more. This latest incident is unforgivable. I am a real life human being whose life you are destroying. But it is clear that you do not care.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Recently I opened a new bank account with BB&T. I made two deposits one in cash and one with a money order. The money order deposit was made on 1/12. As of this date 1/16 I still don't have access to the full amount of this deposit. I was told that since Monday was a holiday no postings occurred and I would have to wait until after midnight to received full access to this deposit. In the meantime the bank manager will not return calls to discuss releasing funds. This local bank is located in the Dunn Loring area in Vienna VA. If I had known this would be so complicated to get access to my own money I would have never opened an account with BB&T. My advice stay away from this bank.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This is a bank kill you with overdraft fees and doing very bad business practice. Sad part is our lawmakers allow them to charge whatever they want from customers whenever they want, nobody to regulate those charges they put on consumers. My experience is I had $140 on the checking account. I made a payment using my debit card for $127.00 expecting to cover the amount. Then same day evening I made a another payment for $23.00. Bad part is I got $36 overdraft fee twice. One for $127.00 then the another for $23.00. When I call them back their explanation is both payment came same time. Go and figure it out. I have no words to explain more. Beware of this bank. Looks like bunch of crooks working in the back office. I hope somebody come up with class action lawsuit against their overdraft policy. I am more than happy to share my experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We opened our account at one branch in FL and had huge problems for the branch putting in the wrong address in both accounts. It was beyond frustrating but fixed with a different branch in the same city. Using the second branch, we had a wonderful experience locally for 3 years. Hurricane Irma destroyed most everything we had so we returned back to NY. We had very little problems but opened a different bank there as the closest BB&T to us was in PA (Shavertown). We received a large wire transfer from a property of ours in Italy into this account and were using it to purchase a home and literally everything you can need for a home as we were staying in a motel until we could find a home and close.

We had to drive out 3 hours on closing day to get our cashiers check as well as a cash withdrawal to help us. We called ahead to be sure with ID etc and questions re the account. We have two different accounts with a spending limit of 3k each but had a lot of difficulty making online purchases the prior two days for furniture, etc. and there was no reason. We had gotten all our info updated and straight. When we arrived in PA to request our cashiers check, the teller was extremely unhelpful to the point of awkward. My husband brought his green card and social security card along with my ID but the teller was acting suspicious and unfriendly. After some time, she asked for a supervisor and it was taken care of in a very painful process.

We were on a time limit, had just driven in blizzard conditions and were becoming very agitated but kept quiet. We asked if we could have our limit put up for just a day as we needed to purchase furniture for the home. Both women were extremely awkward and would not give any kind of real answer. We asked if we could at least withdraw an amount of cash and what the limit was but had a very suspicious response by the supervisor of what exactly were we wanting to withdraw. At this point, we were extremely stressed and hassled. We asked of 5k, the cashiers check and asked at least why our purchases were not going through for some stores but fine with others. The teller responded professionally but was acting as if she didn't want to bother with anymore and did a very quick verification. Any other request she responded only with "I don't know, must be the store" without even glancing at our account.

We finally left and I spent a lot of extra time we didn't have with work, new schools, getting dishes and at least beds, etc. going all over a new town since our credit cards were being denied by furniture stores. My husband and I finally figured out that the bank was automatically stopping transactions over a certain limit. We tested this by purchasing all our furniture at the stores but one smaller item (end tables or cocktail table, etc).

We were unable to purchase anything seemingly over 1k but the same store, credit card and info went through fine online with a smaller purchase. However the bank will not verify this nor investigate what the problem is. We are going once more to close the account and bring it local. I dread this like the plague. I can't say how much extra stress this put on a family that already had an extremely stressful past months (we passed Christmas still waiting in the motel to close and just get to a home). Sometimes you can get a great location with great people with this bank while other locations are simply horrible to deal with and actually work hard to make it more difficult.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Today is Jan 5, 2018. Between cold weather and some things breaking in my home my accounts have dwindled a bit. I have always and still do keep a very good eye on my accounts. I check every day sometimes multiple times a day depending on where I swipe my card. Over the past couple of days I kept a very close eye as I was very close to over drafting but kept my checking in the positive. Last night (Jan. 4, 2018) I checked my accounts and still seen a positive number. Wake up today and check to see what my paycheck was and find out I have 4 in total overdraft fees. First dated on the 3rd and then 3 more got tacked on to me on the 4th. If I would've seen the first one I wouldn't have spent what I did when I did on the 4th.

I called customer service this morning and waited forever to speak with someone. When someone finally answered I ended up dropping the call. Immediately I called back and held again for over a half hour. I then tried again and again after that. I got fed up with waiting and decided to email them. I am still waiting on a reply. I don't understand how I ended up in the negative and then got nailed with all those overdraft fees when I checked constantly yesterday and made sure I would stay positive. I also don't understand why it is so hard to get ahold of someone so I could at least be explained to what happened. I would love to get at least 2 of the 4 fees back.

I could accept one of them cause maybe somewhere along the line I missed something or miss counted but to be whacked repeatedly with a total of 144.00 in fees is ridiculous. Especially when I had no warning at all. I even visited a BB&T branch yesterday and they didn't say about my account being negative because it wasn't. Then all of a sudden Friday rolls around and I'm negative 2 days ago and getting fees constantly. I never heard of any other bank doing that to people. I seen some reviews on here and apparently I'm not the only one getting taken over by this bank. I think a class action is in order. Or better yet for everybody BB&T needs to stop their garbage service and treat their clients better.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I overdrafted my account $40 last Thursday just to have gas and food to payday. Mind you I only had about five left. Just a little person, (don't make a lot) and I went to check my account this evening because I have direct deposit (set up to be paid tonight). Find I have been charged 8 overdraft fees of $36 a piece. I'm sure they rearranged my transactions just to get every bit they can scam you out of. Then they tell me they can only refund $36 of almost $300 they took. All they said they could do was set up a case file and send it to someone higher up who could easily just say no to refunding me the majority of my paycheck. Pending transactions my **, my BB&T app knows exactly what I have in my account in real time, but they can't give my hard earned money back on some ** pending excuse? Do not bank here, the whole thing is a scam. THEY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS, JUST WHAT THEY CAN TAKE FROM YOU.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

The company is garbage. When they take payments auto withdrawal from my checking account, they put it in an escrow account. They leave it there until the payment ends up late and then they charge me late fees. This company has rude and uneducated individuals for customer service. I'm so sick of this company. They should not be in business. Because of this my credit score has dropped badly and I can't refinance and go through a better company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

If you are looking for the worst customer service team in the mortgage/banking business, then BB&T is your bank. For the Records. We both have a credit score of over 760. We were putting down 40% (money coming out of one of our accounts in the BB&T bank). We were buying new construction home. We had more than enough money in the BB&T system to cover the mortgage balance two times over. That said, we spent: 6+ weeks of watching them drop the ball, 6+ weeks of broken promises. 6+ weeks of doing the same exercise over and over again, 6+ weeks of listening to them passing the buck, 6+ weeks of rescheduling movers, painters and having to delay the sale of our home (so we were not homeless).

Was not all... We opted for an auto-withdrawal (gave us a lower % on the load). BB&T then pulled the money from the wrong account (we have - had 6 in their bank) causing more issues, FYI... They did not ask us which account to use. Their massive delays and poor service caused us $4000 in penalties from the sellers. Their massive errors caused us fines with the moving company, as they had their team ready to work and we had to cancel.

Even today, 7 weeks later, we cannot get a confirmation of the first monthly payment (taken from the wrong account), I called them and they said I could pull the info from my bank account. Just to let you know, no one's bank records can give you the interest paid, the principal paid, the taxes paid etc. I guess they want us to run our lives like they run their bank. This may be hard to believe, but every word is true and can be verified. Do yourselves a favor... Use Quicken Loans, you will be done in 3 weeks and have a very pleasant experience.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

BB&T bank took over for National Penn here in Pennsylvania and it has been a disaster. We were with National Penn since 2009 with all of our personal and business accounts. The branch managers don't have a clue what’s going on, only corporate controls everything. The fees for every little thing are outrageous. They are looking to steal and rob their customers with fees. This bank is a scam and in 2018 I will finally shred this institution, by the way who has come into the state of Pennsylvania and is doing business but is not governed by PA Banking Laws. This outfit can do whatever it wants in this state. Shame on you PA for letting this bank steal from PA residents. I'm sure someone on a yacht or vacation home is literally laughing all the way to the bank. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK. IT WILL BE THE BEST BUSINESS DECISION YOU WILL MAKE.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Charged me $110.00 for a $19.00 mistake. Call the bank 2 times to talk with customer service with no satisfaction...just excuses. Very dishonest, computer clears charges before deposits to maximizes NSF charges, does not care about their customers.

BB&T Company Information

www.bbt.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use