4.9/5 (49 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Augusta Precious Metals

Augusta Precious Metals is a gold and silver dealer offering both cash purchases and precious metal IRAs. You can choose from several depositories to store your precious metals, and it has multiple custodian options too. Augusta provides lifetime customer support for your gold and silver investments.

Find Gold IRA Companies partners near you

Pros

• Lifetime customer support
    • Three custodian options
    • Transparent purchase information

Cons

• No online orders
    • $50,000 minimum for orders

Bottom Line

Augusta Precious Metals can help you buy gold and silver for home shipment or to use in an IRA. Its custodian and storage options help it stand out, but its order minimum can make investing difficult.

Top Augusta Precious Metals Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Augusta provided a professional, objective and honest presentation of their services, processes and relationships with the industry and related companies. It was informative, and ...

Verified

Great company to work with! Very educational in the beginning learning the in’s and out’s of a Gold and Silver IRA. They made it very easy withdrawing money from my 401K and initi...

Take a Quiz

Get matched with a Gold IRA Authorized Partner

Find my match

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Augusta Precious Metals

Augusta Precious Metals can help you set up a self-directed IRA and send IRS-approved precious metals to secure depositories, but it also offers cash purchases if you want home delivery.

The company provides educational information for investors on its website, including market news, videos and a required minimum distribution (RMD) calculator. The company also offers a free webinar for potential investors who have saved $100,000 or more.

Augusta also donates a portion of its net proceeds to K9s for Warriors.

Augusta Precious Metals gold and silver IRAs

Setting up a self-directed IRA with Augusta Precious Metals lets you invest in gold, silver and other precious metals in a tax-advantaged way for retirement. There are three steps to opening a gold or silver IRA with Augusta Precious Metals:

1. Open an IRA: Augusta Precious Metals works with three gold IRA custodians, and it can help you set up your self-directed retirement account. Custodian options include Equity Trust, GoldStar Trust Company and Kingdom Trust.
    2. Fund the account: If you have an existing 401(k), IRA or another retirement account, you can roll over funds from those accounts into your new self-directed IRA.
    3. Buy gold or silver: You can then purchase precious metals for your IRA. Augusta sends your gold or silver to the Delaware Depository or another secure location in one of several cities around the country.

Augusta has a $50,000 minimum for orders, so you’ll need at least that much to start investing.

Augusta Precious Metals cost

There are no management fees with a self-directed Augusta IRA, but you’ll pay custodian and storage fees. Augusta says its custodians charge $280 for the first year and $180 each year after that.

The cost of the actual gold and silver you can buy varies based on current gold and silver spot prices and market rates for premium coins. However, Augusta is transparent about its ask-to-bid differential on purchases, fees and transaction statuses.

Augusta Precious Metals FAQ

Where will Augusta Precious Metals store my gold?
    Augusta Precious Metals partners with depositories in:
    • North Dakota
    • Ohio
    • Ontario
    • Utah

The company’s preferred depository is located in Delaware, though, and there’s some conflicting information about its depository options on its website.

How much does it cost to open a gold IRA with Augusta Precious Metals?
    Other than the purchase prices of the precious metals themselves, you’ll pay custodian and storage fees for the first year of your IRA. Custodian fees for your first year cost $280.
    Can I see my gold and silver in person?
    It depends on the depository. You can try to make an appointment to travel to the depository and see your precious metals in person, but the depository may not let visitors in.
    What precious metals can I include in my IRA?
    Augusta Precious Metals offers IRA-eligible coins in gold and silver.
    Where is Augusta Precious Metals located?
    Augusta’s corporate headquarters is in Casper, Wyoming, but it has a satellite office in Beverly Hills, California.

Do we recommend Augusta Precious Metals?

Augusta Precious Metals is a viable option if you’re interested in opening a gold IRA, and it offers free resources to help you make sense of the process. Experienced gold IRA owners might also appreciate the company’s bulk purchase discounts and lifetime customer service. It’s helpful that Augusta discloses its order minimum, but having to spend at least $50,000 on each order can be difficult for many investors.

Augusta Precious Metals Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Augusta Precious Metals?

Original review: March 28, 2022

The customer service was superb, they explained each part of the process and showed me what was required to set up an IRA account to hold the gold/silver coins. However, the price of the gold/silver coins was quite high compared to the price of gold/silver quoted in the Wall Street Journal.

Augusta Precious Metals response
    Hi, Tom. It was our pleasure to serve as your source of information and assistance with these products. The sale price is always higher than "spot" -- is that what you are referring to? Prices also vary from day to day. Please let us know if you'd like to discuss! I can tell you that we know Augusta's bullion prices are competitive. We appreciate your time and will always be here to help for your account lifetime.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

From the initial call to the set up process to the purchase of gold and silver, Augusta Precious Metals has a developed a user friendly and transparent process. I had already made up my mind that gold and silver would be an important component of my overall investment strategy and the wonderful people at Augusta were there every step of the way for account setup, IRA transfer and explaining the many nuances of investing in gold and silver. The personal follow up has been tremendous. I would definitely recommend.

Augusta Precious Metals response
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Stephen. It's always gratifying to this team to help retirement investors such as yourself put these assets in place to protect your future. It was our pleasure to assist, and as you know by now we will be there for the entire lifetime of your account to help as we can.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I was visiting Augusta Precious Metal's website and simply clicked a link for them to provide information about their gold and silver IRAs, and within minutes, they called me on the phone to speak to me personally. They had a whole team of people arrayed to provide me with information about gold and silver IRAs, to help me open an account with them, and to get my existing IRA transferred from the previous custodian. I even left on vacation in the middle of the process of establishing a gold/silver IRA with them, and I never experienced the slightest disruption in communication or assistance at all while I was out of town. They made the whole process so easy, and I was extremely impressed with their level of customer service!

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Hi, Loretta. It's very gratifying to read a review like yours. The team works hard to make the process smooth and easy. The great thing is, through the entire life of your account, we promise to provide the same thorough attention to your account needs. Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know what you think of us!

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: July 27, 2021

I participated in a webinar coordinated by Lauran ** and conducted by Devlyn **. He was able to pass along a lot of great information concerning the current economic climate and the likely price movement expected for the next few years of precious metals due to current policies in the United States. He was able to respond to questions that I had with concise answers that were easy to understand. The webinar was very useful and the gentlemen were not trying to just sell products, but educate clients.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Hello, Kenneth: We enjoyed spending time with you discussing these important things, and we look forward to serving as a personal source of information for you throughout the entire life of your account with our company. We are here to help.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: July 20, 2021

When I was initially contacted by Kevin ** about purchasing precious metals I was very apprehensive about having to listen to a high pressure sales pitch and webinar. Through Kevin's persistence he convinced me to participate in a web conference with precious metal analyst Devlyn **. If you don't know of Mr. ** I can assure you he does a great job in explaining the current economic scenario and has the ability in layman terms to explain the benefit there would be in having a portion of your assets invested in precious metal. The session was not only informative, but educational as well, without the pressure many of us have experienced when someone has tried to sell us various goods and services in the past. Well worth the invested time.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Thank you so much, Ralph. Our team loves helping customers like you understand metals and how they fit into the economy. We believe any American who wants to know about these important assets deserves to have access to accurate, clear information. Keep in mind we will always be here to help you understand what's going on behind the scenes in the economy.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: May 8, 2022

I was recommended Augusta by a friend. I was interested in learning more about a precious metals IRA. They set up a zoom meeting and I was provided with a very detailed presentation. Afterwards they answered all of my questions. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciated that they do not pressure you to open an account with their company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Participated in the Augusta Precious Metals webinar. It was very informative with knowledgeable staff. Felt very comfortable being able to ask questions. So far impressed with the company. A bonus was to find out that you get a free silver coin with each review that you do.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      I appreciate your taking the time to write this review, Joe. It's important for people to have this information and it's to your credit that you sought it out. The team is committed to being there for you to make the process easy and quick -- and we stay in touch, serving as your personal resource, throughout the life of your account. We are here to help...

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: March 29, 2022

I have dealt with Augusta in the past. This recent transaction was seamless. They are very patient with questions, and a pleasure to deal with. I wired the funds for a recent transaction. As soon as the funds arrived (that day), I received a verification call, and was asked what I wished to purchase. Prices were competitive. I will continue to deal with Augusta in the future.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      That's an amazing positive report of service from us, Robert, and we very much appreciate it. As you know, we work hard to make sure the process is as quick and easy as possible -- and transparent, so you always know what's happening with your account. Also, as you know, we are available as your personal resource for the entire account lifetime, so be sure to ask if you have other questions any time.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: March 26, 2022

Transferred two old 401k's to Augusta Precious Metals. was very easy, and the staff answered any Questions I had. took about two or three weeks from start to finish. I would highly recommend Augusta to anyone!

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Great to hear, Jeffrey. You deserve credit for taking action with your new account. We love helping retirement savers like you, and I'm sure you now know we will be here to assist you from today through your account lifetime. Call on us anytime.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: March 24, 2022

Had a wonderful phone call with Mr. Devlyn ** on the webinar presentation. He explained the current market in regard to gold/silver and has an extensive background in Analytics. He kindly took questions and answers (I had a list) and helped me understand more particulars. Lauran ** did a great job in helping prep for the call and follow-up. They focused on information...no pressure, no deadlines, no "sense of urgency". They want the gold investment decision to be well thought out by the customer. Very happy with the information I received.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Arlene, thanks so much for letting everyone know you are happy with our team. It's important for Americans to know how to effectively diversify their savings, and we feel honored to help. Please don't hesitate to check in anytime during the process -- we are here to help through your entire account lifetime.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Gold IRA partner.

Augusta Precious Metals Company Information