4.7/5 (688 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Sally Jones

About AmeriSave Mortgage

AmeriSave Mortgage Corp. (NMLS #1168) is an online, direct-to-consumer lender that offers home purchase loans in 49 states and Washington, D.C. The company also refinance options for those who want to adjust their rate or term or take out cash. AmeriSave has helped over 664,000 borrowers, funding over $115 billion in loans since it was founded in 2002.

Pros

• Customized rate quotes in minutes
  • Lock in rate for 90 days and shop homes
  • Loan officers available to answer questions via chat
  • Closing in as little as 25 days

Cons

• Not available in New York
  • No HELOCs or home equity loans

Bottom Line

AmeriSave Mortgage offers a wide range of loan programs in most states. It has competitive rates for eligible borrowers buying a home or refinancing an existing loan. You can check your rates and get pre-qualified without any effect on your credit score.

AmeriSave Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

I thought overall that AmeriSave did a great job on my refi. The folks were very helpful and responded promptly to my questions and concerns. This is the second time I've used AmeriSave and would definitely use them again in the future on a refi or new home purchase.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for the kudos! We appreciate it!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

This was the 3rd time in the last several years that I have refinanced my home with AmeriSave. The entire process from start to finish always proceeds quickly and smoothly. I have always been very satisfied with their service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

My processors both helped me throughout the process. They provided detailed information that helped me make a decision about when to lock in a rate. When it came to crunch time before closing, I felt like I was the top priority. AmeriSave’s offer was also better than anyone else's. A mortgage broker tried to charge me $4K for the same loan AmeriSave paid me $1K to get through them.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thanks! We're glad that we could help you save some money!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

AmeriSave has a very detailed system which is quick, easy and user friendly. Everything is spelled out so there are no questions unanswered. In addition, a loan officer is assigned who is available anytime throughout the process. Exceptional process and thorough.

Thank you very much!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

Our desire was to refinance at the lower interest rate that was available. Time was of the essence because the rates had bottomed out and were beginning to rise. We contacted the lender which held our current mortgage, and to our dismay with a 700+ credit rating, they said all we qualified for was a reverse mortgage. After trying a couple more companies without much success we were in touch with Amerisave, and they assured us that we could refinance through them, and at a lower rate than we had hoped for. I was amazed at the ease of the whole process. The Amerisave personnel we dealt with were pleasant and helpful, and guided us through the entire refinance in less than a month. Thanks Amerisave! My wife and I are more than satisfied with your work for us.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Great! So glad you chose us! Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

I have refinanced with AmeriSave 3 times now. My current rate is at 3.25% for a 30-year mortgage. The process was easy and stress free. The refinance was completely FREE, with no hidden costs or junk fees. I am very pleased, and will continue to refer them. If interest rates are to drop again, I would use them again.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you! We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

With Amerisave I have done my home refinance 3 times in the last 3 years. All times the process is very simple, transparent, speedy and accurate. The rate you see online will be the rate you get in reality with no hidden costs. Amerisave is amazing!!

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thanks! We appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

My mortgage experience was excellent. My loan officer was very helpful and prompt with the many questions that I had. Support staff were wonderful also. I would definitely recommend Amerisave to all who are considering buying or refinancing a home.

Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

I have refinanced twice over the past three years and worked with AmeriSave on both occasions. AmeriSave made it easy to understand the rate options and fees to match my financial needs. They made the overall process easy. I have and will continue to recommend AmeriSave to my friends.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

We were certainly glad to help!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

My mortgage refinancing was completed within 5 weeks. Each process of the loan was clearly marked on their website - all of the steps included an approximate date of completion. We would definitely recommend Amerisave!

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for choosing us!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I refinanced my mortgage in January of this year. They sent out the appraiser within 24 hours of my first phone call and my whole refinance was complete in 4 weeks and I got a fabulous 30 year fixed. The Sr. Mortgage Processor, Casey **, was fantastic. He walked me through everything and he was so patient, even when I asked the same questions twice. He always called me back right away with clear answers.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for your compliments! We truly appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I have received a very nice loan from Amerisave. The work online was helpful in finding what I wanted and then the staff was most helpful in completing the loan. Monthly reminders are accurate, except that they do not include the loan rate.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

We thank you for allowing us to provide your service!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I am very much satisfied with the whole process. All the persons involved for the refinancing do know what they were doing. They explained each and every detail and sometimes they also made up some what if scenarios so that you are fully aware of what to expect at each stage of the loan process. I would definitely recommend to my friends and family.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much for the compliments! We appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I used Amerisave twice now! They make it very easy and transparent when shopping for a rate! I found them to be as good if not better than most rates I found. I also really liked doing everything online and being able to do the closing in my house. I have and would recommend using Amerisave in the future.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I appreciate the effort of the Loan Processor assigned to me. Amanda ** has worked with me tirelessly and ensured the process moves smoothly. She has reached out to me in a timely manner and kept me updated on the progress. This is probably the first time that I would like to keep the name of the Loan Processor in mind so that I can ask for her the next time if I have a loan requirement with Amerisave. I would highly recommend my friends to Amerisave and would ask them to specifically request if Amanda can work on their case. I found the best rate & cost at Amerisave compared to all the other quotes I received. I also like the Amerisave Automated Online System, the ability to get a quote and lock in your rate and the overall online experience.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much! We truly appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

This is the second time I have used Amerisave. The first time I used Amerisave it took 25 days from the day I locked in until closing day. This time it was only 21 days because this time around I had all info ready and faxed back almost immediately the info asked for. Closed with no problem as before with a 2.625 rate for 10 years. The one thing I liked best with Amerisave was when I called with a question if nobody was there someone called back within the hour.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for choosing us!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

This is my second refinance with Amerisave. I watched the rates and locked in my terms after watching their website daily. The process went smoothly, and my loan closed within 30 days. I have seen many negative comments about Amerisave. Before applying for a loan with Amerisave or anyone else, you should know your credit score and have a general idea of what your home is worth. Also, you need to be able to check your e-mail at least once every day and provide them with all of the documents they request. Make sure you have access to your tax returns, insurance policy, paycheck stubs, bank statements, and any other documents they ask you for.

You need to also check the status of your loan which is constantly updated. They tell you what they have received and what they need. The appraisal will be ordered within a day or so of you applying, so you need to be organized. By doing all of this work, I was rewarded with a 20 year refinance at 3.375%. I could not be happier and have recommended Amerisave to three friends and family who have also refinanced with them. I have always looked for lower rates and have never found any company that could compete. Plus, you see what your fees will be PRIOR to picking your loan! I was pleased with my processor who quickly answered all of my questions and was most helpful.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much! We appreciate your compliments, and your business!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I worked with Greg and got everything done in a prompt and professional manner. Amerisave dealt with my case in a good manner making sure that the loan is closed in time. Very positive and good. I liked it. I am very happy for the decision to go with Amerisave Mortgage Corp.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Great! Glad that you enjoyed your experience with us!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

Dealing with Amerisave was a professional and pleasant experience. They offered the best rate and lowest fees of any other lender I got a GFE from. No surprises along the way and we closed as scheduled.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

We appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I refinanced my house with Amerisave Mortgage approx. 9 months ago. I found everyone very knowledgeable when I had questions and they responded quickly to all my emails. We got a great interest rate and were very satisfied with their service. We've refinanced in the past and it took no longer to complete this than before just don't expect it to be done in 30 days. It usually takes at least 6-8 weeks. Would use this company again.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

We're glad that you were satisfied with our service!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

We refinanced with Amerisave. The process was amazingly quick, and closing took place at our house. We were highly satisfied with the rate we received. The overall experience could not have been better.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate your business

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

My experience was beyond exceptional. The Amerisave crew let me know step-by-step what the process entailed and the firm lived up to every commitment. I'm very pleased with the result and would not hesitate to recommend Amerisave to my friends.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much! We're glad you enjoyed your experience with us!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I got an outstanding rate. That's what attracted me. I was treated well through the process and there were always assistance available when I had questions. Time was getting close for my close date and my assigned closer was fantastic in making sure that it all worked. I'd recommend.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you! It was our pleasure to help!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

Amerisave refinanced my home loan at rates exceedingly better than any competitor I found on-line. Mr. Shaun **, Senior Processor and Ms. Valerie **, Processor did an excellent job closing my loan in 30 days from application to funding (on a 45 day lock). I would gladly use Amerisave again and have already recommended them to others.

By way of background I had attempted to refinance my house with absolutemortgageco.com in Nov 12 at a low rate. After 30 days they had not even sent the loan to underwriting and were asking for more money to extend my lock. Not a good experience.

After this bad experience, I started looking around for a different lender in early Jan 13. Amerisave was advertising fantastic rates, so I started reading their reviews on-line. Standout complaints included not getting loan through underwriting to closing; as well as underwriting asking numerous ridiculous questions (conditions) multiple times, with weeks transpiring between replies, thereby delaying closings. Additionally, Amerisave had just settled a class action suit for charging for appraisals before approving their loans. Apparently, they would disapprove locking the loan after the appraisal came. I was not looking to be a named plaintiff in a class action lawsuit! I just wanted to refinance at a lower rate.

I went on Amerisave’s on-line chat and started asking questions about their practice. After lengthy e-mail exchanges with Craig **, Amerisave, Sr. Mortgage Processor, I was assured that Amerisave had hired additional underwriters and were closing loans within the lock period. So, I went on-line to apply for a loan with Amerisave. Here is my experience.

[NOTE: Throughout the process I never once spoke with anyone at Amerisave but communicated extensively through e-mail and their on-line system.]

On Jan 14, I went to Amerisave.com and plugged in the information and hit search. [TIP: When you go to Amerisave’s website make sure you “personalize” your search to reflect your credit score. Their rates are very credit score sensitive and their system defaults you to an 800 score.] After finding a rate I was very excited about, I clicked the apply button and completed a short on-line application. When I completed the application, I was asked to pay $9 for a credit report. My credit score came back at what I expected. After paying for the credit report, the system told me I was “pre-qualified.” [NOTE: pre-qualification does not lock your loan.]

I e-mailed Craig ** and told him I just applied for a loan and asked when I could lock. Shortly thereafter I received an e-mail from Shaun ** directing me to go on-line where I was asked to complete a formal application and upload supporting documents - 29 documents in my case. Since I had just applied with absolutemortgageco (a lender I recommend you avoid like the plague) I already had the bulk of these documents scanned and in pdf format. [TIP: Scan your financial documents (past 2 years W-2, tax returns, past two months account statements, pay stubs, insurance declaration pages, mortgage statement, property tax bills, etc. prior to applying for an Amerisave loan.]

Even with the bulk of the documents scanned, I spent 4 hours that evening completing the application, scanning additional documents, answering questions about credit report inquiries, and uploading documents. [TIP: When answering Amerisave’s questions I repeated their question and tried to use the shortest answer possible e.g., "Regarding Equifax Credit Inquiry on 2012-11-14 from CREDCHECKERS: No idea who CREDCHECKS are, however I was shopping for refi loan for this property in mid-Nov 12. Assume this was pulled by you or a different lender I shopped with. No new credit was received.” Signed me.]

The next day, Jan 15, I e-mailed Mr ** asking when I could lock since all my documents were uploaded and I really wanted the advertised rate. He told me my documents would have to go through a review first. About that same time the system prompted me to pay $550 for an appraisal fee. I paid the fee (with great hesitation, based on the class action suit against Amerisave.)

After paying the appraisal fee I e-mailed Mr ** again. Shortly thereafter I noticed my loan was showing it was locked on-line. It may have been that because on Jan 15 fees ticked down (in my favor) a bit and they were happy to pick me up at the higher fees. I was O.K. with that rate I applied for so did not press for the lower number. (Anyway, since Jan 15, rates and fees continued to increase.)

After getting locked, I then started e-mailing Mr ** about getting (1) a processor appointed and (2) this loan to underwriting. I was told they needed the appraisal first. The appraiser contacted me via an automatic e-mail system, and we set a date for a Jan 18 inspection of the property. There was no issue with the appraisal and it came in on Jan 23, over the amount I had told Amerisave what my house was worth.

[TIP: When you go to Amerisave’s website make sure you “personalize” your search to reflect your home value during the application process. I intentionally put the value at about 94% of what I thought the property was worth based on other sales. It was a good thing I did because it came in at 98% of what I thought was the actual value. By putting a value lower than 100% on the property I believe I saved any problem with Amerisave changing the loan terms because of the appraisal was lower than what I thought my house was worth.]

After the appraisal, on Jan 25, Ms ** was assigned as my processor and I received notice on-line requesting 14 different documents and questions that underwriting needed. Some of the requested items were previously provided, I just resent them. About a quarter of the documents focused on my child’s condo 1500 miles away. I got hold of my child and got the requested documents (condo fee, insurance, tax info, etc); and, included a statement that this is my child’s primary residence. I had everything uploaded by Jan 28 and began asking Ms ** when I could expect approval for underwriting.

On Jan 31, four more underwriter requests popped up on-line, primary for previously provided documents and about my child’s condo. (I thought - oh no, here we go with the underwriting back and forth folks complained about on-line.) I was able to upload the requested information that day and again e-mailed about the underwriting status. My loan was back in underwriting by Feb 4. I was almost shocked on Feb 7 when the on-line program showed that underwriting had approved my loan. (I really was expecting more questions and answers, based on what I read on-line.)

From there my closing was set for Feb 15. Prior to closing I keep in e-mail contact with Valerie ** and my closing agent to make sure everything was set for closing. At closing my agent told me how good Amerisave was to work with and that Amerisave had sent them the funds that morning so everything would disperse (payout) right after I signed the closing documents. I read and signed the closing documents and closed without a hitch.

I will say that I was hyper-vigilant on this loan (based on my bad experience with absolutemortgageco - avoid them at all cost). I kept daily e-mail contact, even if just to “check status” and made a point to get Amerisave any requested document or answer any questions within 24 hours and e-mail them when I uploaded documents. [TIP: Do not get upset over (1) strange requests (e.g., child’s condo info) or (2) repeated requests (e.g., asking for insurance agent contact info three times - after the third time I took the additional step to give my insurance agent Amerisave’s contact info and asked her to contact Amerisave)]

Finally, in every e-mail I sent, I sincerely thanked the folks at Amerisave for their help in working to close my loan within the lock period. All said Amerisave did a truly great job closing this loan in a timely manner at a fantastic rate.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much for the compliments! It was our pleasure to help!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

Everyone I dealt with was professional, courteous, expedient and competent.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I have done several closings with Amerisave. When things go smoothly, they are very good. When things don't go smoothly, they are okay. I must say that generally they follow through on their commitments, though they sometimes miss dates and deadlines. However, my last experience with them left me very dissatisfied, as they were late on everything, and after 45 days, swapped the loan from a 2nd home mortgage to an investment home mortgage, which caused my rate and closing costs to go up significantly. Their position was it was their policy based on the 2nd home proximity to my primary home that they had to consider it an investment home mortgage - my problem is that the homes did not pick up and move location from the 1st day of my application where the addresses were supplied.

Why did they wait 45 days, and numerous out-of-pocket costs, to indicate the loan had to be an investment home mortgage. In the end, it was a financial loser for me to refinance, and the loan never closed. Amerisave was "sorry", but really just quoted me policy as to why I was out $500, and had no loan I could close without losing more money.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! There may have been risk factors in regards to the property type that prevented the loan from being qualified. We apologize if this was the case, and if it was not disclosed in a timely manner. Please contact us at customerservice@amerisave.com if you wish to receive further explanation on the situation. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

This was my second time using Amerisave to refinance my home. Amerisave gave us the best rates and everything was so easy and the people were very helpful and responsive if you had questions. One of the best parts is the closing is done in your own home at a time that is convenient for you! I would definitely recommend Amerisave to anyone that is looking for a home loan.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you so much for the compliment!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

I refinanced my home mortgage upon a recommendation from my financial advisor using Amerisave. I have refinanced a few times in the past 20 years and never look forward to the tedious process. This refi was different from the start. The process couldn't have went any better, the service was excellent and with the exception of the loan being sold so quickly (not that big of a deal), it was the perfect business transaction. Amerisave has the process of making the sharing of electronic documents down to an art and this seems to be their competitive advantage. Also, they were very customer focused and professional.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for the compliments! We truly appreciate your business and it was our pleasure to help!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

While shopping around for places to refinance my house, I came across AmeriSave. The rest is history. The loan officer, Mike **, was very honest, helpful and knowledgeable. Mike answered all my questions honestly and wasn't pushy nor did he ever make me feel uncomfortable with sales pitches.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thanks for choosing Amerisave!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

I was surprised with the great service I was provided by Amerisave. I dealt with Patrick, loan officer, and Kassandra, closer. They answered all my questions, and guided me throughout all the process. They did everything they promised, closed on time, and treated me with respect. I highly recommend Amerisave.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback!

AmeriSave Mortgage Company Information