4.6/5 (803 ratings)

About AmeriSave Mortgage

AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation is an online, direct-to-consumer lender for home loans in 49 states and Washington, D.C. The company also offers refinancing options for those who want to lower their payment or take out cash. AmeriSave has funded over $55 billion in home loans since 2002.

Pros

• Variety of loan programs
  • Free calculator tools online
  • Quick online quote process

Cons

• Not available in New York
  • Some closing delays

Bottom Line

AmeriSave offers a wide range of loan services in most states. Some customers complain about closing delays, but eligible borrowers can find affordable and fair rates for buying a house or refinancing an existing loan.

Top AmeriSave Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation?

Verified

My husband found Amerisave and thought their rates were good. We went with them and enjoyed the experience tremendously. They were very quick, very easy and very forthcoming which...

Verified

I wanted a lower interest rate and to take some cash out so I got refinancing through AmeriSave. Everything was amazing… The rates and terms that I got were good. I was talking to...

What is AmeriSave?

AmeriSave is an online mortgage lender. The company offers various types of loans for buying a home or refinancing an existing mortgage. It specializes in the following types of conventional and nonconforming mortgage loans.

• Fixed-rate loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Cash-out refinancing
  • Rate and term refinancing

AmeriSave rates and fees

As of January 2021, the rate advertised for a 30-year fixed mortgage is 2.125%, with a 2.460% APR. This estimate is based on a $250,000 conventional refinance loan in Georgia, and assumes the borrower has a 740 FICO Score and 80% LTV (loan-to-value ratio). For the most accurate and up-to-date information available, use the free online rate tool to calculate rates for your situation.

AmeriSave Mortgage doesn’t disclose all fees online, but there is a nonrefundable $500 application fee, according to verified reviews. Expect to pay additional expenses, such as closing costs, as part of taking out a home loan.

AmeriSave FAQ

What are AmeriSave’s minimum borrower requirements?
The minimum credit score for a conventional loan from AmeriSave is 620. For FHA loans, it's 580, but for FHA loans over $700,000, you must have a credit score of at least 640. Homeowners must have at least 20% equity to be eligible for a cash-out refinance.
How does AmeriSave work?
To apply for a mortgage loan or view mortgage options with AmeriSave, visit its website and complete the following steps:
  1. Provide your information. Each quote is customized to your specific situation but does not require personal identifying information, such as your Social Security number.
  2. Get prequalified. Customers can prequalify for a loan in just a few minutes.
  3. Compare quote options. View a variety of options with no hard credit pull and no hidden fees.
  4. Apply online. Pick which quote is best for you and apply directly online or by calling the company.
  5. Schedule your closing date. AmeriSave schedules closing at a time and location convenient for you.
Can I pay my AmeriSave mortgage online?
Yes, AmeriSave has an online portal for customers to pay their bills and manage their mortgage.
How does AmeriSave verify my assets?
AmeriSave offers paperless asset verification through AccountChek.
Where is AmeriSave located?
AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation is based in Atlanta.

Is AmeriSave legit?

Yes, AmeriSave is a legitimate mortgage and refinancing company. It offers a range of programs that are good borrowing options for some people. However, not all applicants are eligible to take out a home loan.

AmeriSave Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I hadn’t made up my mind to go. But when the rep started giving me the information that I asked, he had the answers. They didn't seem like rehearsals. It didn't sound like somebody was reading off a script to me. That’s the biggest thing for me. It sounded like a sincere-- it was like you weren’t talking to somebody who had been trained on every little thing to say to punch the buttons. The guy who did it made the sale for AmeriSave. I got to checking AmeriSave after I talked with him. After the whole process, I’d be much more ready to recommend AmeriSave. Everybody that worked with them, there was so much cooperation. It seemed like they had a good thing. It just seemed like they were giving out good information, and they were legitimately trying to help me get what I needed the most. And I was impressed. It's a hard thing to get me impressed.

On the front end of the process, AmeriSave might want to be a bit more specific about exactly what it is they are looking for in the documents. The downloading part, it wasn't that hard. And to be the kind of company they are, they have to be as thorough. But there were a few things that they were asking in the process which I've never had to answer before. But that is the most negative thing I could say about AmeriSave. That’s the only time I felt disconnected. Also, it would be nice if AmeriSave had an app.

For instance, a credit card company that I deal with has the crazy best app that I've ever used for a credit card is Capital One. I can see my balance, I can make a payment through that. It makes making the payments easier through that system, and it always lets me know exactly where I'm at, how much I owe, when it's due. And they send me notifications, “Don't forget to make the payments.” It also allows me to make an automatic payment, so that I don't have to do it every month. And I can do it through that. If AmeriSave would do that, especially since they all service the mortgages after the fact, which I am so happy about, that was the icing on the cake. Because I felt like, “Well, they really want this.”

I know making phone calls because people don't make their payments on time costs a lot of money, to pay those people to make those calls. AmeriSave would see a crazy amount of easiness where people would make their payments on time. They didn't have to call and try to work it through the internet, but rather through a mobile device. AmeriSave would see a crazy amount of increased production that way.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Good morning Clint. Thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Dylan took such great care of you! We appreciate the feedback above and we will take a look at the process and see where we can use your suggestions to make the process easier for others. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

Bryan Owen

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I did a refinance with cash out. The process was prompt from the minute I entered the information, and then right away, I got a call from the rep. Yasmine called me right back and waited for the process. They were very clear. I had some concern. They were so quick and fast. I was like, "Is this a real company or not?" The application process is better than most. Go through all the information, it was collected. And it went well with whenever it needed to pull in my income information, so it was great. When you upload documents, sometimes it keeps asking for the same stuff even after you upload it. But it wasn't that big of a deal. Overall, it's almost better than Rocket Mortgage because I went through the same process. It's also better than Caliber Mortgage.

AmeriSave did it in less than 30 days. And the underwriting took less than a week. The minute where we got all the information in, and they told me when I was approved. There were some last minute requests for some documentation. I was very happy with it. What they told me in the good based estimates on the beginning where we were at was always a judgment based on the actual cost of things. But overall, it was aligned exactly what he told me upfront. There wasn't any hanky-panky, like, "Oh, it's this." And then later on tell me, "By the way, there's a fee." I've done many mortgages before, and that part of it, company-wise was the best that I've ever experienced. And then, the customer service from the mortgage broker to the processor, to tell me the next step, I was very happy.

I appreciate that people were very prompt, and the fact that I have multiple ways to talk to them, it fits in terms of my work schedule and needs. Because sometimes I like to talk to someone, but other times I'm so busy, I just like to post my questions right onto the site itself. And then the third way was the email. And in each occasion, it was all very prompt. And then even while we have to go through and schedule with third party with the closing, with the notary for final closing and also for the appraisal, that was done very smooth, even though it was a third party. They coordinated well for me.

When I call Yasmine, it doesn't go to a voicemail. One time it did, and then she called me back right away. For the most part, she answered 99%. She was amazingly prompt every time I email her or call her. She calls me and tells me right away. She said, and then truly her behavior worked that way, "Hey, Linh. I know that the reason you're doing this because you're trying to save money on your mortgages. That's why you're doing it. And I will work as fast as I can to get this closed for you. Because then that way you can start saving money." I want to close fast on what I did that I need to get done. So that stuck with me.

Also, there were some occasions when she gave me a heads up that, "Oh, by the way, when I was reviewing your file, this was missing. Here's what I think you should do to kind of get that address and stuff like that." So, she was very proactive. And then as far as the email inquiry, it was as if she was monitoring her email. Because during this time, I was expecting that there's a 24-hour, because everyone's refinancing, even the processor. If I want to refinance again, I would definitely use AmeriSave.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I liked the simplicity of the breakdown and transparency. It's very noble if an organization can tell you straight upfront like, "Hey, this is the best that I can do. This is what we can do," and is willing to work with you and didn't look for me to circumvent myself. As far as whether 5%, 10%, 20%, I didn't feel pressured to put more hard cash on the line for sacrificing of a rate. And to know that the rate availabilities given this time, that they fluctuate, they were willing to say, "Hey, let's try to lock it in. This is the best number we can do. Don't sacrifice another 5, 10 grand to just get dollars to the cents." That transparency was great. The guidance and the multiple departments that worked in sync with each other. So, there was no lag time in between me filling out the documentation online.

Every time when uploading the documents, I wish there was a repository for the person uploading the documents because the home that I ended up purchasing, they wanted everything closed in 30 days. 30 days is a very tight window, and most times, not even possible. But AmeriSave made it possible like, "Okay, we have 30 days on the calendar. We need to get this done, this done, this done." And I worked in sync with the mortgage company along with my Realtor and my attorney and we were on the move every day.

However, with all the amount of documentation that I had to upload, there was no repository for the user as myself to see what all I uploaded. So, I know AmeriSave can see it on their end like, "Oh, yeah, you uploaded that document already. Oh yeah, you did it." And I'm like, "I can see the checkmark, but I wish there would be like another download folder. Once you've completed all the requirements for your package, I now can see all that went into the package," to better serve myself, whether it's tax information, now, I know when I go to file taxes, I'm gonna be lost. I don't know where this is, I don't know where that is. It would have all been part of the documentation that I would have sent previously to AmeriSave.

Same thing, if I want to jump back into the home buying experience, it's like, "Okay, well, if I wanted to buy another, at least I would have a check-off list, like, okay, you provide this document, that document, this document, that document." So now, I have set a repository of everything that I submitted to AmeriSave and they also have the same on their end. Because it was time when we had to leave one section of the process and jump to another section because one home deal fell apart, and he was like, "Oh, you already provided that." I was like, "Yeah, but I don't know what I gave you." Other than that, the loan officer was great. It was my first-time home buying experience and it was like, "Hey, I want you to be comfortable with whatever you walk away with. If you're not comfortable to any point, we can discuss it."

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Refinancing is a long process. So, the beginning phone calls are probably the most important because those are the time you are entering this thing and getting more detailed information. Every time I call AmeriSave, the rep there picks up the phone. They helped me all the time in the first half of the process. That's good enough for me and that's why I like AmeriSave. They also had a lower rate. After the first part of the process, their rep was no longer there always talking to me. I understand that. I'm doing a second mortgage with them as well.

Everybody relies on an automatic system. They cut costs. But the problem is the second half of the process, I constantly receive emails from AmeriSave asking me for more information, even though I've already given them the information before. I also called and told them that I had given them in different ways. I had emailed the loan processor or I'd upload the information based on their direction but I was still receiving emails asking me for the same information. The rep said that those things were generated automatically.

Fortunately, I kept all information backed up in my drive so every time AmeriSave asked, I could just give them my gap. But I hate to give them the same thing again and again. Also, those are confidential information and I don't want them flying on the internet all the time. So that's one thing that they need to improve. After the main loan processor finished his part, he passed it to a different assistant and the same thing happened again. AmeriSave sent me an email and I replied and told them not to send me the email again. Then the next day, the email comes again. It just pops automatically.

On the second mortgage, an appraisal has to be done. The appraisal was supposed to be done about two weeks ago already. The reason why we cannot do it is because of the schedule we've had before with the tenant. The tenant got COVID and we didn't want the appraiser to step in the house. AmeriSave said that the appraiser didn't have to go into the house. They could just go outside, take the measurement and get the major dimensions. I found my survey plan that showed how large the property was and the floor plan from the builder. So we know what's going on inside the house. I gave those to them and I talked to the appraiser as well. The appraiser said that the information was good enough and he would see if they could generate the appraisal report and give a reasonable estimate of the house value this way. I've been actively cooperating with them and they will probably go to the property on March 15.

In the next couple of weeks, we'd probably be able to close this loan. I asked AmeriSave if there was anything else that I needed to do or to help. But so far, nobody answered me. The whole process is already on the way but I still need confirmation from them if there's anything else that needs to be done. There's a limitation of 90 days for the lock rate and I don't want it to be expired. So now, I'm just waiting. Everybody is talking about refinancing because everybody knows the rate is low and I've told them my story with AmeriSave and recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The process is terrible. But the person who ran the process was the most helpful person I've ever worked with. I've done this before. It was the first time that I did it with one of these national things where everything literally is done through the internet. I had a woman named Jessica and of all the people who called me when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do, she kept, not nagging me, but saying, “Hey, I'm here.” And that worked out good. I finally said, “Okay, I'll see what she's got.” And I said, “I want to have the lowest interest rate possible so that my monthly payment would be as low as possible.” That means that I don't have to worry about having some excess points sitting around. Because I can always deduct that, assuming we go back to that normal tax thing.

She had me go through this thing where I could play off the amount of money that I would have to lay in points to the interest rate. That was absolutely perfect. I could do it myself. I did not have to ask a question and wonder whether, “Oh, yeah. That's what they say the lowest rate is.” This was right on the thing. And if I didn't like it, hang up. Sorry, Jessica. That's the end.

I got a 2%, and that's the rate that I’m paying. It's not the effective interest rate because you have to factor in the amount of points that you're leaving on the line. But I didn't care because all I want to do is go up to heaven peacefully. So I said to Jessica, “Okay, yeah. I see 2%. How do I make sure I get that?” And then she explained the process for locking in and what we would have to do. She was very good at that.

The problem was Jessica was dealing with the screwiest information system that I've ever seen. They would ask, “Okay, this is what we need. We need it instantly if you want to save you money.” Okay, I put it in, and then the next day, I would get another thing. Ever heard of the term, the death of a thousand cuts? It's a Chinese torture. That's what AmeriSave’s information system is.

As we got further along, in December, I got this thing that said, “Congratulations. Your mortgage is approved and we'll be moving toward closing.” “Oh, my God, that's a lot faster than Jessica said.” It turned out, for whatever reason, that was their stupid computer system. So we went through early January. And then this happened every week. There was something coming in. I had a problem with my aged computers. The computers are fine for what I want to do with them. I've got two laptops, one will run my printer/scanner combination, but only to scan something. I've got the other one that I use for most of my stuff that will print on this thing, but only print. And it will go on the internet. But the other one won't go on the internet, so I couldn't scan my mortgage bill and get it on to the internet.

I made trips up to Staples, and that didn't bother me. It wasn't that expensive. But then, many times, I would put the stuff in and couldn't get them to recognize it. Jessica helped me more than most people that I've dealt with have helped me. I’ve got an iPhone 6s and she taught me how to take a picture of a document and send it to her, and then she loaded in a thing. And we kept getting these stupid things. I must have gotten five or six things saying, “Congratulations. You're moving to closing now,” or words to that effect. But she helped me.

And then it got worse. When we were getting close to closing, she indicated that I would have to have the attorney come to me. Okay, because we've done that in the past. She indicated that early in the game, because I said we would go wherever the guy was. But she said, “No, he'll come to you.” As we were getting right into the closing thing, her manager indicated that she felt that I had been mistreated. I guess I'm used to that. Because a lot of the problems were with the title company. I kept getting these closing documents. And after I got tired of reading them until we got to the final, but I noticed that the amount of funds I would get back, which were in the $5,000 to $8,000 range, kept changing. I understood why they were changing, because they had overestimated the amount of money that I would owe a couple of my other companies.

But then all of a sudden, it would cost me $600 something to have the lawyer show up. That was a surprise. I've never had to pay for an attorney to show up. I did not raise that issue with Jessica. But she was upset because the title company hadn't put that in. So there we were right at the close, and all of a sudden, there was this charge showing up for $600 something. Not a great amount.

AmeriSave said that American Title owed me money because of the way they handled these things. And I haven't got that yet. I had to pay something that I really didn't intend to pay, or at least half of it. That pissed me off. Then they would send me a check. And Texas got all kinds of snow, freezing weather, and they were going to FedEx that check to me. It took a week or more before FedEx even picked it up. It took five days for FedEx to actually get it on the ground to Boston. And then from Boston, it took them four days, but that included a weekend to get the thing from Logan Airport up to me, 26 miles.

But other than that, I've recommended Jessica. I was a little worried about AmeriSave. Because when you look at the Better Business Bureau report, some of those things about the people who initiated it, and then they never hear from them again. I've had that experience with a lot of people, particularly in the mortgage business. But Jessica, when she said to me, “We're still working on seeing if you can get the refund,” my reply was, “I guess, Jessica, I can always trust that you will do what you believe is right.” Jessica was super. She helped me and I had a good opinion of AmeriSave based on that one person.

Get somebody who understands the process. Take somebody who has been through the process. There didn't seem to be the need to tell me that we were proceeding to the closing. And then a couple of days later, “Oh, and one more thing you got to supply.” Whatever AmeriSave does to get rid of that would be a real improvement.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

The representative was knowledgeable and patient. I have a million questions and he was always willing to assist and direct me to the best resource to figure it out or gave me the answers to the best of his ability. I have a lot of questions, so our communication was a couple of times per week and it was a really quick turnaround between myself and him. He also looped in an additional support staff member of his team that also helped at certain times. The ongoing communication between myself and Paul, I felt more comfortable and confident going with him. And having my former colleague as part of that company, I knew there would be transparency and that support that I would need.

The underwriters were requesting additional info. So, I was running into bank branches with a few different times. My former mortgage lender was Bank of America and they ended up passing along my mortgage to a different company. In doing so, they wiped out all of my records from their online app. So, it got challenging for me to try to obtain certain documents for Paul that he needed. I would have preferred if they could have just given me, "Here is the exact list that you're going to need of documents." Other than that, I loved every second of my experience with AmeriSave. The team did their best to make sure that the process itself ran smoothly. They made me feel confident in my decision of going through with them.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Christine, thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Paul and our team took such great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Joseph, my rep was really good. I listened to his proposal and what he could do for me. My wife and I were divorced and she was living in the house with me. She wanted me to take over the house so she could go off and have her own life. I waited a few months and then I started the process all over again. The only gripe I have with Joseph is that sometimes, my communication was slow. I'd email him and it took so long to get an answer. I'd have to keep calling to get him.

We signed the papers in November but they've never recorded the deed in Jackson County. My wife signed the quitclaim. They gave her a copy and took the original which had to be filed with the county and now I have a tax problem. I don't know what to do now because the Tax Office is telling me I'm going to have to pay taxes on this place. I told Joseph, “If you can't get that recorded before the deadline, this is on you. All we can do is send it to you.”

Also, having a fixed rate as well as documentation of everything is really important. I had to go back three years and get all my bank statements and give it to them. Then they wanted all the insurance papers. Even though they gave me a list and I'd complete that, the next thing I knew, “Well, we need more information.” AmeriSave needs to make a list of what's expected that's actually feasible instead of having you keep going back and forth.

Other than that, they're very friendly and nice. When I talk to them, they're always, “Well, I'm gonna go ahead and see what's happening.” And normally, they did, until this tax thing. It kinda sucks. If I had known that, I'd have borrowed more money so I could have paid the taxes, so I borrowed about enough to pay off all my bills. But, I'm still satisfied with them. They got me a lower rate than my ex-wife got when she bought her house. That's good because that keeps the payment down. They did what they said they'd do. They just didn't complete the process well.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Good afternoon Billy. Thank you so much for the feedback and we will address the issues. Communication is one of the most important aspects of the mortgage process and we will coach that with Joseph. We will have someone reach out to you quickly to discuss the deed recording. Please look for our call. I am happy that out team was able to assist in getting the loan completed for you and thank you again for the feedback; we use it to improve. We look forward to helping you again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I've had rental properties for 20 years, and if you're me, refinancing is stressful when you have different documentations. I contacted AmeriSave for initially just one, but I was very fortunate to where the guy, Sean, said he could do all three. In my experience in 20 years, mortgage people are the graveyard of used car salesmen. Oftentimes, what they tell you is there’s nothing more that they can do, but Sean did good. Not only did he do that, he also closed within 45 days, lowered my rates from 5.75, 4.25 with a mortgage insurance and a 12% hard money loan to 2.66 with 100 grand cash out and 3.3 on the other properties. Incredible. I've had a number of mortgage refinances, and this was hands down my best.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

WOW! Tony, thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Sean and our team took great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

The process was quick. I could get to the information I needed. I could post stuff easily. The rep told me everything I needed and got right back to me when I emailed or either called her. She was very, very good, and very helpful.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Good morning Angela and thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Mary took such great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

Bryan Owen

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I had a great experience. I was told what I needed and I furnished the information. There were some documents I needed to review. But everything went smoothly. Jonathan was great to work with. He was responsive and available. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Patricia, thank you so much for this great feedback! Thank you for working with us throughout the process! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Jonathan took such great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

AmeriSave Mortgage Company Information