Springleaf Financial Services (formerly American General Finance)

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 2 stars24
  • 1 stars180
    17%

www.springleaffinancial.com

Springleaf is a leading provider of consumer credit based in Evansville, Indiana. Springleaf makes secured and unsecured personal loans. In addition to its lending activities, Springleaf offers credit and non-credit insurance through subsidiary insurance companies. Springleaf originates loans through its more than 800 branches located across the U.S. For more information, visit SpringleafFinancial.com.

Me and my husband have been a client for a while now. Springleaf have always been there to meet our needs. They are so professional in what they do. They love to help in any way they can. We so love the staff. I will always return again and again if we need to.

If you want a scam loan then Springleaf is the place you want to go. When they open a loan for 4,000.00 after three weeks of having the loan I went into Springleaf financial and paid the 4,000.00 I borrow. The lady said I owe 250.00 for application and other fees. It went from 250 and 5 month then $949. All of this was strictly Springleaf's FEES ONLY. Keep in mind I was getting a statement every month that says current balance 0, past due amount 0, past due charges 0 but I was charged. Like I said if you want to be scammed go to Springleaf.

Hi Christopher,
Thank you for your comments and bringing this matter to our attention. We would like the opportunity to reach out with you and discuss this matter. Someone will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thank You.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Troubling times... That's if you're a Springleaf customer. Never have I been so upset at myself as I am now for starting a relationship with Beneficial (HSBC) and now Springleaf. Bottom line... Worst customer service, totally crappy monthly statement and I've never EVER seen interest rates on a personal loan that high. And forget it if you need to speak honestly about what you and your family might be going through. They don't give a ** about what you're struggling with. Not a single thing about this company impresses me. Truly am sooo sorry I started doing business with these crooks and scammers. HIGHEST INTEREST RATES IN THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY. Better off going to Amscot or anywhere else.

Hi Tammy,
I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your service. Please allow us to assist. Someone from our Executive Office of Customer Care will be in touch with you shortly.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I had to go out on disability (emergency situation) which put us in a financial downhill spiral. During this time we were able to do some payment deferments with (formerly Beneficial). We were told this would not reflect negative on our report and those payments would just be added to the end of the loan. I get a call from Springleaf the other day asking for the balance of the loan. Informed me the deferments were now due. She was kind enough to let me extend those payments but they have reported me late on our credit report. It has taken me years to recover from our hardship all for this to now happen.

Hi Sarah,

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I filled out an online application for Springleaf. It plainly stated this would be a soft pull and would not show up on my credit. They then did a hard pull or inquiry on not one but two different credit reporting companies. I filed a dispute and Springleaf stated to the credit report companies that I agreed to it. I did not even call them and went elsewhere for my loan. When I called and asked them to remove the inquiry they refused. Don't go near this company. They are liars and crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Springleaf Financial Services?

Hi Dudley,

Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Someone from Springleaf called me last Thursday to see if I wanted to refinance my loan. I told them 'yes' because I'm having a time with bills. The lady told me I should hear something by yesterday Aug the 15th. Never heard from them. I called her to see what the deal was. She said she was waiting on her manager to get back to her because they're shorthanded. It's Tuesday the 16th and still haven't heard anything.

My thing is why call and ask me to refinance if it's not going to be handled in an orderly fashion but yet if I was late on a payment I'm sure my phone would be going off. All I have to say is why call and ask me if it's not going to happen? I have a loan out with them. I've never been late on a payment so is this how they treat their loyal customers?? Thinking I may just pay off the loan I have with them and will not recommend them to anyone. I could see if I called to ask about refinancing but they called me and now I can't get an answer.

Hi Carlo,
Thank you for your comments and bringing this matter to our attention. We understand someone has already been in touch with you to discuss your concerns. If there is anything further we can assist you with, please let us know, and we will be more than happy to assist you in any way we can.
Thanks,

Alex

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

Springleaf - Orange City Florida Branch. I had been approved for a loan by last weekend, BUT today 8/15/2016, @ AM Silvia called me and left me a voicemail and I just called to 386-774-0777. MICHAEL answered me, with probably problem in his ears or maybe didn't understand me that I asked for SILVIA and he said, it's not Silvia working there! OR because his discrimination attitude AND I called back, with the SAME problem with ANGELA **. Staff looks forward to service?Friendly??? NO WAY... Finally I talked to Silvia but the interest of 30% is crazy! Maybe your STAFF needs more training.

Hi Misty,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I am writing in regards to the Lynnhaven Branch in Virginia Beach VA. First off I will say I have had 2 loans with them before and absolutely NO PROBLEMS. Yesterday I submitted an online application and was approved for 2000. Today a rep calls me and to verify items and told me my budget won't allow them to approve the loan. I have no bills at all, my fiance pays everything our household. I receive PT paychecks weekly and my VA Disability. When I asked about their budget system Keshell stated that they had to go by the accounts on my credit report and the minimum payments. Great BUT I don't pay that, my fiance does. So then she convinced me to add him for his income. 2 HARD PULLS later she calls back and says it's still denied...

I asked her to call him and go over his report since he has been a victim of ID theft and 6 accounts are verified as fraudulent and we had letters from the detectives with Economic Crime and the creditors to prove he is not responsible. She refused to call him back and said her computer froze... 45 minutes till they closed. Coincidence? So she put me on the phone with Laura who apparently knows nothing about the company's terms and conditions because there is nothing anywhere stating letters proving id theft couldn't be accepted. She basically continued to tell me her computer was completely frozen as Keshell did and she was the manager. I advised her that under FCRA they cannot make credit decisions based on fraudulent information and she said their hands were tied.

I then asked for corporate's number or a complaint number and she was full of ** and gave me two numbers that are not in service and then hung up on me. When I called back they refused to answer the call. They had caller id as they knew my name from it showing up. I want these inquiries deleted and personally I'm filing a complaint with CFPB because Springleaf is giving false approvals and when you call up there it is a denial every time. I am shocked as I had 2 other larger loans in the past that I was never late on and I get treated this way? If I say my income doesn't include paying bills which it doesn't as my fiance does this then it has to be illegal for Springleaf to assume I do and hold me responsible even if I don't pay. Ever heard of stay at home wives.

My fiance's income pushed us way over the minimum and when I demanded to know how they rated their risk they refused to tell me. He has NO NEGATIVES on his report and makes 4k a month so what risk system are these frauds using? I am very dissatisfied and will never recommend Springleaf when I spoke so highly of them after they funded a 5k and 3k loan for me in the past. So much for respecting loyal customers.

Hi Latanya,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

Received an email from Lending Club to apply. I have read over and over the negative reviews about Springleaf Financial Services but stupid me I applied after receiving the email from Lending Club. Said Springleaf Financial what is a trusted lender and would be able to help me and also stated Springleaf Financial Service accept any credit received a call after applying from customer service. She verified my information and asked me for collateral. I told her I didn't have any collateral. She ask for a co-signer. I told her I didn't have a cosigner and she said my application was denied. I told her the email didn't say I needed collateral or co-signer and even on their website it doesn't say cosigner or collateral.

Springleaf Financial Service is fraud and gives false information. I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and Texas Attorney General office for misleading and false information. Please do not apply unless you have perfect credit. I don't know why a company would give us false information just to turn down an application. All of their requirement should be stated on their website and with their partners.

Hi Dashawn,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I believe this company participates in unfair practices. They approved me for a loan of 5,000. Didn't say I needed anything prior. After that I received a call and they stated did I have a title to put up for the loan. I asked, "Why doesn't it say that's needed prior to applying?" Agent apologized and hung up. This resulted in a hard inquiry on my report and I feel Springleaf should be more transparent in their practices.

Hi Nathan,

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I have an auto loan with this company and I changed my insurance company. All the appropriate letters were sent to everyone. Springleaf responded by saying they didn't like the address my insurance company used and they would not accept it. So my insurance company changed the address and sent it to them again. I got no response until a month later they said they still had not received anything and that they were going to charge me their insurance, so I again sent it to the fax number on the letter that they sent me.

2 week later I got a 10-day payoff on my loan and paid it off, during that 2 weeks they charged my account 1300 dollars for their insurance. It has now been another 4 weeks, my insurance company had to talk to them on the phone before they would believe I had insurance. So now they are still saying I owe them money for an auto insurance policy they are charging me on an auto I don't even owe any money to them on. They also told me they would stop my automatic payments until we can get this resolved but that was a lie, they have taken 2 more payments out. It seems to me that I've just gotten scammed out of 1300 dollars. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Hi Nikki,

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I went through personalloans.com who referred me to this company. My credit is fair, just a few credit cards with high balances, thus my reasoning for wanting a personal loan. I submitted my paperwork online and submitted my pay stubs online via their website. A rep called me the next day, went over the same questions I answered on the application. She asked me to submit pay stubs which I did the day before online. She comes back to the line to tell me I don't have enough income???

I don't understand that, why wasn't I told that when I did the application online, and I don't think that is true as I do have significant income. It was a waste of my time. How much more income do I need to get a loan through through Springleaf. I have done business with plenty of lenders and find their process to obtain a loan to be below average. Once I submit my pay stubs you only need to call me with the loan amount, term, interest rate, and monthly payment. If I agree to the terms let me sign my electronic signature, release the funds, and keep it moving.

Hi Rosa,

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

All the bad reviews are correct. I am a client of this company and I wanted a few extra dollars for vacation and to do some repairs on my truck. In the past I received great service but the recent experience I received from this company was terrible. I had to wait two days to receive an answer and they turned me down. In addition to the wait I had to keep calling several times and I was treated as if I was a new customer in which I felt I kept getting the runaround.

When I finally received an answer which I had to call once again the branch manager of the office, they said that when they sent my information up for review, the company presently implemented new stipulations making difficult to process loans. Now if you're making it difficult to process loans for your valued customers remember I am not a new customers and I understand everyone's case is different but if you're not helping your present good customers then please tell me who in the world are you helping. What a waste of time with this company.

Not having perfect credit, I can't go just anywhere for a loan. Springleaf makes it possible for me to obtain a loan & in turn improve my credit score. Natalie was friendly & helpful, a joy to work with. I do wish the interest was a bit more fair. 20 - 25% would be much more so & wouldn't feel like I was getting gouged.

I was in need of some money to do some repairs on my car. My credit is not great, but Springleaf was able to help me out. They didn't try to force anything on me that I didn't want. Everyone was so professional and polite.

Unsecured loan for a vacation trip to Florida which we really needed and couldn't of done it without the help of Springleaf Financial and want to say thank you very much and look forward to doing business with you again in the future and hope the outcome is the same.

Hi Daisha,

Thank You.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

Please do not do business with this company. They are nothing but liars. My credit was low, because I was young and was building my credit. Decided to go with this company because they worked with low credit and my mom was with them. But I should have known they were bad news, because my mom is still paying off a bad loan they gave her. Before I signed, I asked them if I wanted to pay the loan off early, would I be charged the interest and they told me no.

Now here I am 2 years later wanting to pay my loan off early and am being told that I'm being charged all of the interest of 3 years amount, which is $3000 something, on top of my loan amount. Not only that, this company uses a method called the rule of 78 which means they charge extra interest on top of the interest you already owe if you decide to pay your loan off early. So basically I have to pay more because I want to pay my auto loan off earlier. I am pissed because I was lied to. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Springleaf Financial formerly American General Finance

Hi Laura, we're happy to hear that you are satisfied with our customer service. Thank you for choosing Springleaf! Have a great week!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I cannot express how great the customer service was. Thank you so much. Felt so comfortable and the process was smooth. If all business were run this way there would be a lot of happy people out there. Thank you very much.

Springleaf has help me so much on things I needed help for asap - Medical bills, car repair, the most major things I needed to continue and they were there for me. I am so grateful. I was able to have a little cash over to pay other little bills to keep up. Even to get some of my medication when I didn't have the cash.

Hi Wayne,

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I recently moved from one state to another. My original home state kept my auto title as security for a loan. When I moved I needed the title to register my vehicle. A request was made to my original Springleaf office. After waiting for 30 days I was informed, 10 times, that the title was in the mail. I had to obtain a temp registration. I have now been informed by the local office that the title has been LOST and it will take 30 - 45 days to obtain a duplicate. I have been able to get another 30 temp registration - but was informed a third extension will not be made and I will not be able to drive my car after 30 days without registering the title. How do you lose an important document like a car title by mail? Do not send it registered, that's how. Will never do business with Springleaf again nor will I recommend them.

Hi Sean,

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

They were able to take care of most stuff over the phone, informing me about the loan and the office visit itself was able to be completed within 10 minutes. The funds were available right away and they helped get me out of some financial trouble. However - I did ask the representative over the phone if there were any initial startup costs on top of regular interest, which was one of my deciding factors in pursuing the loan. Over the phone I was told that there was not, and that collateral or personal assets wouldn't be needed to secure the loan. But when I arrived in the office, I had to list an appropriate value of assets that "will not be used, and we won't come take your stuff if you don't pay" and I discovered on the terms contract, that there is a 200+ dollar processing fee.

My initial plan was to borrow the money and pay it off early, cutting my interest obligation down a very significant amount. The 200+ dollar processing fee made the idea I had completely unfeasible. I went along with it anyway - since I had already made plans fulfilling the purpose of the loan. I would recommend Springleaf to anybody who is in a financial emergency, but who is normally very financially stable. Otherwise I can see it starting the process of escalating debt, because of the startup costs and high interest rates.

Hi Ann,

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I'm still shopping and reading reviews from customers. I needed a loan but don't know where to apply yet. I never have an experience with Springleaf, but the reviews I read is alarming and I certainly DO NOT want to take a hit on my credit score. My roommate messed up my credit, and I'm just now starting to build it up. As of now, it's 705. I also have a letter from Springleaf saying that I'm prequalified for a secured loan for up to 7,500. Went today on one of those car title loans, cut the crap and straightforward asked her for a quote. The interests is 113%. RIDICULOUS!!! Anyone who knows where to get loans with a reasonable interest, would appreciate it.

Hi Latia,

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I'm having tough times and considered taking out a personal loan. I applied online and called the local branch. I wasn't approved for the amount requested but I was fine with receiving a smaller amount. I went into the office and was told I actually wasn't approved for the loan because I didn't meet the income requirements. The employee I spoke with entered my income information into the system wrong and I received false information. I'm not happy with my first experience with this company and I will not be returning.

Your representatives at the Pascagoula, MS branch went above and beyond to help me acquire my first loan to consolidate my debt and pay off credit altering debts new and old. Simply because of that I would and have recommended this branch/your company.

I had been having a hard time catching up on bills. I'm a single mother and just recently have been going through a hard time with court costs, rent, and bills. I got behind and could not catch up. I received a card from Springleaf in the mail and called about getting a loan. The representatives were very nice and did what they could to get me a loan even though my credit score went down to a 560. I am very pleased with the help I received and recommend them to everyone needing help.

Very friendly and professional. You are treated with respect and everything is explained to you so you can understand it. They also spend extra time with you to make sure you are completely satisfied. I will recommend them to my friends.

When we called to help Dad get his loan and went in, the people there were very kind, remember it, took the time with us that we needed, and helped him get the loan so that he could get the car he needed.

I had an overall good experience, my income was not quite enough but they allowed my future husband to co-sign. Awesome. There was a temp manager from Albuquerque and he was really sweet. Very professional. The way I look at this agency is fast, friendly and obtainable as opposed to a bank or credit union that requires so much more, I do not qualify. Thanks Springleaf.

Just that you have always been able to help me through any situations whether good or bad. Have come to consider the Norfolk office old timers and new as friends. They make a special effort to make the loan easy.

Had some things damaged when I moved and they were very friendly and professional at Springleaf about getting a loan to replace them. It was fast and courteous. I've had loans with them before and they were always great. I would recommend them.

Springleaf Financial formerly American General Finance Company Profile