Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Had this card for years, but this past year has made me decide to cut up the card! Constantly rejecting my transactions and now I'm short 60.00 because they rejected transactions that never went through but deducted it from my account... Call and hold forever! I get my money back I'm transferring to a different card and will be so happy to finally be done with Serve!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

If you plan to use this card to make repetitious purchases from same vendor don't bother. It will eventually put you on an automatic fraud alert hold where you can't use the card for 30 days. I called customer support and they don't empower their associates to be able to take it off hold.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I have been this company over 5 yrs as my prepaid card account for my direct deposit and my card has been hacked three times and the most recent one was 7/16/21 over $800 when my deposit posted from my job... I filed a fraud claim again and they are making me wait 10 business days just to see if they will give me a credit and it not can take 45 days to get my money back... and not to mention my replacement card have not got it yet. And here it is payday again today and I cannot access my funds to pay my bills because the new card has not come yet.

I have called them every other day to check the status on this claim and all they tell me is it's still ongoing etc and no updates. I have talked to sups and they're no help as well tell me the same thing over and over again. I need me money back on my card asap. Please do not deal with this place. It's a major headache. When something happens they do not care about their dedicated customers. Thanks!!! Not to mention I went to BBB AS WELL TO FILE CIVIL COMPLAINT. They are fully aware of all this. I faxed two letters to them. Here it is the 10th business day and I still have no email update nor my money back on my card.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I have been using American Express Serve Debit card for over 10 years. I am pleased with the ease of use and minimal service fees. However, the customer service is awful and Bill Pay features are not guaranteed. When calling the customer support line I have to listen to 5 minutes of promotional advertising. I used the Bill Pay service recently, which American Express claim takes 5 business days. Two weeks after submitting my payment thru direct bill pay, the payee had not received the payment. Three calls to American Express, I was told American Express cannot verify receipt of payment. I had to submit a second payment by mail and wait another two weeks for American Express to credit my account. The bill pay feature does not work and is not guaranteed.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Been using serve for 5 years. Within last 40 days a block has been put on my prepaid card for false detection of fraud transactions. I'm always buying and selling items for 4 years now and all of a sudden my card keeps getting blocked. I've had enough of the **. Can't hear or understand most of the customer service people. Their system just sucks and I'm tired of calling it in to have the block lifted.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Took two weeks to get a company to refund a item then when it hit my Serve account they put another 7 day hold on a REFUND so I have to wait 3 weeks for the money. Serve tried to tell me the money never went to my account but after 30 seconds they did agree the money did go into my hence why I got a credit then right away a hold for the same amount. That's bad business and the only card I have that does this.... No other pre-paid card does this and it's straight up theft of my money.

Original review: July 1, 2021

They took my money and no way to reach a person. Stay far away. Declined 21.99 charge (money was there) took out and kept 21.99. I have been trying to reach a person all day and apparently I have to upgrade to speak to a person.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Please take note current and future Amex consumers. I wanted to summarize my unfortunate situation where Amex refused to honor one of their Amex credit card products’ welcome offer when the online application successfully went through with offer confirmation from Amex representative at time of application. On top of that, I also received solicited application offer for the same card that was mailed to my physical home addressed to me from Amex at time of application. Since then, I met all requirements by now and only then Amex is telling me that they will not honor the offer.

Spoke to multiple Amex reps since the complaint where they claimed investigation was done and that decision is final that they would not honor it without valid and detailed explanations despite their mistake and misinformation during my application and failure to explain why only now months later am I told I don’t qualify for it. They went through the recorded phone calls and confirmed/admitted the mistake made by Amex rep and said that they will improve their coaching in future. Amex did not show any remorse and did nothing else to compensate for the mistake they caused that significantly impacted my situation. I was denied a subsequent request for further investigation and escalation.

Original review: May 7, 2021

They keep giving me the runaround for about giving me my money back on my card telling me it's going to be 45 days before they give it to me. I keep telling them I don't have money to give away and they hung up.

Original review: May 5, 2021

For 2 months now! Tried to logon from multiple computers and smartphones and website says, "Can't complete. System is down." **!! They are purposely down so no one can withdraw. Search the internet you will see everyone is complaining. You will never get a human to help nor a response from their email messaging. CRIMINALS!!! Try for yourself serve.com. Looking for a class action lawsuit today!!!

American Express Serve author review by Barbara Friedberg

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor