2. Finance

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: March 24, 2021

On March 12 2021 my stimulus checks was deposited into my account, on March 18, 2021 a ACH withdrawal was done from my account. I did not initiate this transaction. I have called serve customer service to get answers to no avail. I need someone to contact me to explain what happened to my money. A withdrawal by ACH external bank account was initiated. Please help. I’m at a total loss. There is not an option to speak to a representative when I call. Is there anyone who can help me? Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I have experience great pleasure using American Express Prepaid. My deposits comes two day before on time even if it's a holiday. It has restrictions on some use but for good cause. If you lose your card, you can call customer service and they will have it sent by FedEx the next day without waiting 7-10 days for replacement. If your card is lost or stolen they notify you when you make purchases, or suspected misuse that you don't normally use. Can transfer money immediately from one American Express to another. Can go to Walmart and take all my money off without a fee for every cash withdraw. It gives excellent payback.

I'm always get cash back on purchases they normally know I use often. I have had this card for 4 years, I get direct deposit. A lot of ATM don't accept this card without a triple fee. I go to US Bank or Walmart to retrieve my money without fees. This is one card I love and I will be using this card for a while, because of its good restrictions. I suggest if you want a prepaid card get American Express Prepaid Card. It's worth it in a long run.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I use it virtually everywhere, I'm not locked down with a card for just one store. The customer service has always been there for me and I can't say enough about it. I had an issue with the card, money was wrongly taken out, after explaining the situation and answering their questions. I was credited back my money. They were pleasant to me the whole time and I was frustrated. Then as the conversation went I my frustration went away and it was as if I never had a problem. It's the only prepaid card I use.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had been a Verizon wireless customer for years. Even with a 19% faculty discount, my monthly bill was over $110 just for service in the U.S. Last February when my husband and I were on an African safari, I asked a woman who was a member of our group to email me a picture of a bird I had been unable to capture. She did. Apparently, my data overage was .016. Verizon charged me $15.00 for it, and I was annoyed enough to change carriers to Altice Mobile as an Optimum customer for $20 a month with unlimited talk and data. My husband’s and my lines on each number came to $21.96 apiece, a considerable saving.

Then, we lost all cable services from August 4-11 after a storm. I thought I could use my cell phone, but I could not be heard, had dropped calls, could not email, or text Altice Mobile. Sure enough, the company charged me the full rate for the month. I tried to reach a representative for more than three weeks with no success before I filed a complaint with the New York State Attorney General’s Office and Better Business Bureau. Both government offices refused to step in until I contacted Altice Mobile, an utter impossibility.

Since my American Express credit card is automatically billed each month, I set up a dispute on both charges online and asked for a week’s credit on each. This was done within a few days. Problem solved. American Express has OUTSTANDING customer service and live representatives to help with problems. Altice Mobile should take a page out of their training if they want to retain clientele. Just read the customer dissatisfaction on Yelp for a broader perspective on how to incense people and lose business.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I have had NO bad experience with The American Express Serve card. I would recommend this card if you know how to manage your money and account. My direct deposit have gone through each week with no problems and everything I purchase come right out of my account. It seems that there must be a lot of people out there who do not know how to manage their money. This is a great card and I would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: May 5, 2021

For 2 months now! Tried to logon from multiple computers and smartphones and website says, "Can't complete. System is down." **!! They are purposely down so no one can withdraw. Search the internet you will see everyone is complaining. You will never get a human to help nor a response from their email messaging. CRIMINALS!!! Try for yourself serve.com. Looking for a class action lawsuit today!!!

Original review: April 26, 2021

My wife purchased 4 cards from Walmart to be used as gift cards. We’ve been trying to use them up because the original intent for them backed out. We recently had a couple of the cards declined for purchases so we figured we missed a receipt. Thinking we could get the balance online or by calling them has become an exercise in futility. We refuse to sign up for an account with Serve because they want our social security numbers and I already don’t trust them. American Express allows you to input the card numbers but when submitted give a message that they are experiencing difficulties and try again later. This is day two of our hunt for answers. The phone number is worse. They only want you to sign up and give them money. At this point we will likely have to nickel and dime these cards to death. I hate Walmart to begin with, this won’t help.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I have 2 gold American Express cards for the past 3 years in Spain. Recently there was a mixup by my bank and a bill from Amex was returned, 24 hours later it was paid. I contacted Amex to explain because both my cards were blocked. They informed me that the returned bill has caused the problem and said that was the second time it had happened! I pointed out this was the only time it had happened. The customer service agent disagreed. He said it happened 2 years ago also. I pointed out to him that 2 years ago I paid a bill for 2700 euros 11 days before it was due directly into their account. And Amex still sent the bill to my bank so it was returned as it was already paid 11 days before. He ignored what I explained and said it's the second time and, "We will keep your cards blocked as you are now under review for us to decide if you may continue with the card."

This situation was caused by their mistake billing me for a bill that had already be paid. It's now been 10 days. Cards are still blocked and they are demanding bank statement from all of my accounts for the last 4 months. I also have a merchant account with amex. From spain when you call customer service you are talking to Argentina to staff who do not speak English and all seem to be in training mode. Ridiculous situation.

Original review: April 14, 2021

DO NOT!!!! This company will hold your money for 7 days in order to profit off of it and then they will release it to you. As soon as I get this last deposit I'm waiting for, I'm going to CANCEL this card immediately! It's a pandemic going on and they're holding people's money. Utterly disgusting!

Original review: April 7, 2021

I enrolled in AMEX's payment plan with my Green Business Card last year around November or December. At the end of January, I attempted to make a payment to pay off my balance completely. According to 2 of the 3 reps I have spoken to this morning, the payment was declined by the bank for insufficient funds. That's not why I'm upset but it has something to do with it.

Apparently I was taken out of the payment plan because I paid off my balance. This is not true since the money was returned. I should still be in the payment plan right? Not according to the 2 foreign reps. The kicker is that the payments of $59 are still coming out of my bank account!! That $59 was the monthly cost associated with the payment plan! The 3rd rep I spoke to was from the United States and understood my problem perfectly. Unfortunately he was in a different department because I was routed there for some reason. So he connected me to yet another rep. As it stands now, I am on hold again waiting for some sort of answer that makes sense.

American Express Serve author review by Barbara Friedberg

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor