3.9/5 (577 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

American Express Serve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Serve?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I recently purchased and loaded this card at Walmart. No problems with the first few transactions. Then I went to order pizza and the purchase was declined (my error as I entered the wrong zip code) however a hold was still put on the card for the amount of my order, $110.93. I called customer service and was told the hold would be lifted in 5-8 business days which is ridiculous - why is there a hold when invalid information was entered in the first place? The rep also suggested I register the card in case I need to dispute any charges - ok, makes sense.

I still need food so I place my order again, this time entering the correct zip code, order goes thru no problem, delivery received, all is fine with the world. I attempt to register my card and am repeatedly denied. Call CS back and was told I must be entering something wrong to which I responded that is doubtful since the information I was registering with is the same information entered on the phone to get my balance and customer service, then she says register from a computer and not a phone, still denied.

Days later I check my balance again and the hold and has now POSTED as a completed transaction and AMEX is refusing to review and correct it. This is **! I have called the merchant and am disputing it with them but it doesn't look promising so for now I'm out $200 for ** pizza and am just supposed to suck it up??? I don't think so! These cards are TRASH and so is American Express as a company. Transactions like this and registration denials are a reoccurring issue with these cards and something needs to be done to shut them tf down. If neither the pizza merchant nor AMEX doesn't correct this asap I will be pursuing legal action.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

I got the Serve American Express prepaid debit card to save me a little money in bank fees for when I need to pull money out from Thailand. But it will not let me on the computer website or the app site since I am here. I called them and they said I can do everything by phone. Also I think the call center's from another country. When she was talking to me I can hear chickens in the background. That takes such a long time that this is a terrible card to use if you cannot get on to their website and check things out and transfer money. It is useless to me 'cause it will take so much time to always call them and do things. They should have a secure website to go to. It must show that they could be a cheap company and don't have good firewalls. I will be pulling my money out and cancelling my cards. Please read other reviews on other websites. This is not the card to use in my opinion. I usually read reviews. One time I didn't and this is what I've had to go through. Read reviews please.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I went on vacation and used the card. The hotel and rental car put holds on my card. But when I checked out and returned the car both places told me the hold would be only 15 days. Now they tell me it's 30 days. That is totally ridiculous. I need my money now.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

Was away from home. In the evening needed to pay a bill promptly. Only had cash on me, picked this card up because it said no activation needed, use immediately. Not only did you need to activate and register you need to add all your personal info, SSN, DOB, etc. It took 4 hours w/ customer service to activate because their system was wonky then they couldn’t activate it for another 3 hours for “full authorization.” Absolutely absurd, strange, scammy experience.

Original review: July 21, 2022

They stole my refund money. They keep telling me that the money will be back on card. It's been 30 days. They are a scam. Don't use Serve card. Their customer service representatives tell you different lies every chance they get

Original review: July 1, 2022

Do not get a Serve card! I did my taxes. TaxAct deposited my refund on the serve card. They sent me a temp card. Wanted me to register it online. I did that. I called the automated system kept telling me to register online. So I ordered another card since that one wasn't working. I even pain 30 more dollars to have it delivered thru FedEx, FedEx delivered it to the wrong address smh. Called back to get yet another card issued. She sends me a link which I filled out. 2 months later I'm still waiting on that card. Customer service is null and void. I finally had to file a complaint. Don't get this card.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I requested a refund. Was told it was take 3-5 business days. 5th day I call Serve because I see it says completed and I see it's been put on hold. They tell me it's on a merchant's hold and they can hold it for 7 calendar days. I call the merchant. They say that's **. They don't have it on hold. Everything was completed. Even gave me a transaction number to lookup and verify it... I call Serve back. Try to give them the transaction number. They refuse it and they tell me they're sorry, nothing they can do, all I can do is wait, that they are not keeping my money from me the merchant is.... Bull. The merchant was trying to help. Even have been emailing me numbers to call with Federal Reserve Board etc.. To help me get my money.... Serve is a scam and they make up their own policies to fit them.

Original review: June 6, 2022

After reviewing my account I noticed charges from San Diego, PA, and NC totaling over $300 and I filed a dispute. Weeks later, called to find out the status and was told my dispute was settled and claims denied. I asked how and why and the representative hung up the phone. Do not use this card!

Original review: May 5, 2022

They've been holding my money since May of last year (2021). Refuse to tell me why. So I reached out to the federal reserve board, BBB, CFBP to file a complaint. and when I called SERVE today they told me they transferred my account to consumer relations. So I think everyone should continue to file complaints to get your money as well as STAND up to AMEX SERVE and their scams.

Original review: April 26, 2022

PLEASE do NOT go through the trouble of going with SERVE card. I cannot understand why AMEX would have their name on this card. It first started when we needed to use a decent amount for our down payment on a vehicle. They would not authorize the transaction and you could not speak to ANYONE! Now just recently we had a 1500 return that was done on the 13th of April...and processed on the 15th. WE called every single day and told multiple different things... "Your money will be available at 3:43 am". Then if they didn't like how frustrated you were they hung up on you. WE finally received our return on April 26th!! DO NOT USE THIS CARD. I know everyone wants an advance on their refund, BUT it is NOT worth the hassle and headache!!

American Express Serve author review by Kathryn Parkman

American Express Serve offers three prepaid debit card options. Cards are free to register and allow ATM withdrawals at more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations around the nation.

• Prepaid cards: American Express offers Serve, Serve Free Reloads and Serve Cash Back prepaid debit cards.

• Pricing and fees: American Express Serve cards cost up to $3.95 to purchase in retail locations. Monthly fees for American Express Serve cards range from $0 to $7.95. A $2.50 fee is charged to withdraw cash from out-of-network ATMs. As long as consumers use one of the in-network MoneyPass ATMs, there is no fee. There’s no charge for card replacement for any reason.

• Reload options: Direct deposit, mobile check deposit and adding funds from a bank account are all free.

• Cash back: American Express Serve Cash Back earns unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases in store or online.

• Free benefits: American Express benefits include purchase protection, fraud protection, travel protection and 24/7 customer service. There are no charges for online bill pay, sending and receiving money, setting aside money in reserves.

by Kathryn Parkman ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kathryn Parkman believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase, which is why she spends hours researching companies and industries for ConsumerAffairs. She believes conscious consumption is everyone's responsibility and that all content deserves integrity.

American Express Serve Company Information