Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

TL;DR:

1. The provided lens quality (made by VSP's own lab) is extremely poor and *unusable*. I have a 70$ pair (frames + lenses) that is much better. I have two pairs worth 800$ from VSP that I just can't use.

2. Customer service is ignoring and tries to wear you out.

Poor quality lenses: So a few weeks ago I got two pairs of glasses through one of VSP providers. I added 30$ per pair, to improve the lenses to a superior type. Both pairs are unusable. There is a very bad reflection issue with the glasses. Every light in the room or the street is reflected on the lenses. Crossing the street at night using those glasses is a just a visual show of a million lights reflecting from everywhere. Same problem at day time. Lenses are just of a really poor quality. It is important to note, that the lenses are made by the VSP lab, and not the optometrist shop. I could have added 50$ per pair for anti-glare lenses, but I think that the basic quality of the provided lenses should be at least *usable*. For comparison, I have a 70$ pair (frame + lenses) from somewhere else, that does not have any reflection issue and is of a much better quality.

2. Customer service is ignoring: I contacted VSP through the website, and no one got back to me. A week later I called to see what is the status, and finally was transferred to someone who tried to dismiss me, and finally told me he will check with the optometrist. He tried to reach me a day later but I couldn't pick up the phone, and since then I cannot reach him, because when I call VSP they don't know what person it was.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The customer service is atrocious. I filed an out-of-network reimbursement claim almost three months ago and they still have nothing. They have requested I submit my information four times now and still no one gets back with me. Every time I try to follow up - it starts all over. A human spoke with me once and said they do not operate online, yet that is the ONLY way the seam to operate. No productivity, no customer service skill, no desire to be a decent human being. I do not, I repeat do not recomend this company for any reason. Do not waste your time or money with VSP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Contact lenses never shipped. I was given a tracking number, but the boxes never made it to the carrier. When I called them a week later, customer service could not help. Disorganized and their customer service department is not empowered to actually help customers. I will go out of network next time. Strong recommend avoiding them if possible.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Glasses are much cheaper with a better warranty when buying online. Zenni was my choice and not disappointed a year later. What you pay out of pocket is less expensive if not equal to your monthly payments to VSP plus out of pocket when buying glasses. VSP providers offer discontinued frames and often frames that fail in a short time. Allegheny Optical is one and will not adjust warranty period, work with you to correct. VSP's answer is "You get what you pay for". Say what!! Don't buy this insurance as it will cost you more in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

This is nothing more than a discount card. You are better off saving your monthly payment and going to Warby Parker when you need glasses than going to one of their "in network" as all you get is a "discount". By the time you add what you have been paying monthly to the amount you have to pay anyhow if you want to get something decent, you are paying more using this "service" for cheap glasses. Useless.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Last year I decided to switch my payment method from manual monthly payments to auto-payment. Unfortunately, VSP failed to inform me when I made the switch that I would be locked in to an annual, non-cancelled policy. There was absolutely no warning before I made the switch. Be warned!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

As an insurance provider I can't really comment because this was my first vision insurance experience. But as a business I can't say enough bad things about how they operate. I have no tolerance for online companies that get your credit card information, make it EXTREMELY time consuming and exhausting to cancel, and then continue to charge your credit card for months after you cancelled.

When I switched employers, I was provided with vision insurance and didn't need to self insure. So I called VSP to politely cancel. Waited on hold. Spoke with someone for 5 minutes before being told that she couldn't help and I would need to be transferred. Waited on hold again and then spoke to someone else for about 3-to-5 minutes before he informed me that he couldn't help and that I would need to be transferred. Waited on hold again and spoke with the next person who proceeded to try to sell me into staying with the company. When I finally got this person to agree to cancel the account it was all I could do to remain respectful. Three weeks later I returned from a business trip to see that my credit card had been charged again for another month. Very disappointing and frustrating.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

While their insurance is somewhat ok. Only thing that is offered thru employer. I emailed them with a simple question. Figure do that and not hog the phone line. Been over a month and still no answer. Very sad. Might just cancel and get somebody else. Might be cheaper in the long run.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Got an email that my credit card didn't work, which there wasn't anything wrong with it. So I attempted to call customer service. It took 1 hour, disconnected once, transferred four times, finally got through to somebody and he was able to use my card immediately. Now I got phone call message saying they can't use my card, I need to call them. The payment the rep put in shows on my card, and when I emailed them, I haven't received any reply. I feel like they are a scam. So far would never recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Took 5 1/2 months to get a pair of sunglasses made through VSPs Lab, because they require the use of their lab. 3 times their representative told me it was the store's fault. 3 times the VSP support managers then confirmed after the store called them that it was in fact the lab's fault. They cut the lenses to the wrong prescription multiple times, applied the wrong coatings, damaged the frame, shipped finished lenses with fingerprints baked into the coating, and shipped lenses with tool markings and or watermarks in the lenses. Had to fight to get them to allow a non VSP lab to cut the lens and still be covered under insurance. New lab got it right the first time.

VSP Vision Care Company Information