3.9/5 (391 ratings)

About VSP Vision Care

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

You only get 1 pair of glasses a year. You cannot get distance and reading glasses under this plan. You get one or the other. It's not worth the saving. Yes they offer other benefits but they are not used by me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I had VSP individual vision insurance. I am retired and opted fir this insurance. I recently got a job at America's Best Eyeglasses and have incredible vision insurance. I connected VSP to cancel my insurance but it was denied. I did use it this year for an eye exam but nothing more. So I have to pay them 9 months worth of premiums for nothing. I feel they are ripping me off since they own a competitor. When I fully retire, I will not go to VSP for my vision insurance. This is a multimillion dollar company and my $13 a month would not hurt them to lose. This is terrible service.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

This company has the worst customer service ever! Good luck trying to get through to someone and the rebates are a complete nightmare! I did everything correctly and submitted it and they rejected it! Avoid VSP like the plague!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

The rudest customer service I have seen in my life. Recently changed employer and after enrolling on my employer's portal I still get my info not found on when I try to create for a VSP account so I called them to "friendly" ask what's going on. Got connected to an agent that never lets me finish my sentence and keep shouting at me it's not VSP's responsibility to make sure I'm on the system. Very pushy, never let me talk.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I had their vision plan for three years with my employer's plan. The customer service representatives are not friendly and become annoyed when you’re asking questions about your coverage. The website misleadingly shows you only in network benefits on your benefits page and they don’t cover much, I should have just saved my money and opted out of the plan.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Kind of shocked at so many terrible reviews. VSP was incredibly affordable and available to me when my contract with my employer ended. I pay $15 a month and have saved hundreds of dollars I would have spent otherwise without it. For a six month pair of contact lenses, VSP covered me completely for both eyes and they were $75 each. Some people don't have that type of money lying around so I'm really blessed to have them.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Website account set up took me a month to set up, ultimately, I ended up making my first call to VSP to assist, after a few holds and transfers, my information was finally entered and set up. The product is more like a discount to retailers they do business with, I would give them 10 percent off at best, they do not cover much of the cost on the marked-up frames, lenses, and testing, you'll be better off saving up your premiums and using discounts in place, you'll come out paying less.

If you are looking to cancel, forget about it, locked in for 12 months, while customer service tells you the policy has been canceled, do not believe it, it'll remain active as they continue debiting your bank account, customer service will be of no assistance during an instance such as this advising you to appeal the decision, whatever it means, the only way to get out from under them is to lock them out of your account, unethical practices, stay far away.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have had VSP from various employers in past. The benefits have certainly decreased yearly and substantially over past decade. I recognize that differences between programs and employers exist, but the benefits, paired with the inexplicable link through Lincoln Financial, are obnoxious and likely incomprehensible to those aware of forms and contracts and, utterly incomprehensible to anyone who does not have a basic understanding. All I need is simple account reference # and details. The benefits versus time required to register and research info is so convoluted I'll probably stick with Costco and CareCredit which are exponentially more easy to navigate and thus, cost less in terms of time expended...period. I will certainly not renew through my employer (of which I am a manager) next year.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I have had VSP for 2 years. I have bought a new pair of glasses both years. I got all the best newest options available. One pair was $1,100 and the second $1,400..I paid $267 & $518. VSP paid 2/3 of the cost. My payment of $12.77 a month is peanuts for that kind of coverage. I'm blown away by the amount of 1 and 2 star reviews, I don't understand them.

Original review: March 18, 2022

BEWARE!!! I obtained VSP coverage on February 1, 2020 since my employer at the time did not offer a vision plan. I used the plan once in March of 2020, and then not again until late February 2022. My new employer has a great plan so I no longer need the VSP plan. Unfortunately, since I used the plan in February, I have to pay for the remainder of the year (until February 1, 2023), even though I didn't use the plan at all for the 2021 plan year. Had I known that, I would have waited the extra month until my new employer plan kicked in. If you have a choice, I highly recommend using a different vision plan.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information