1.53/5
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 19, 2018

79 VSP Vision Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered through my insurance through Eyeconic and VSP. I received Air Optix. I spoke to a rep over the phone regarding the colors, his advice was to check both boxes for color problems. They both had no color. I send them back, only to be told they can exchange but for clear contacts, no refund. First of all Air Optix suck. Why would I want to reorder them? I'll never order through them again. If using insurance, stay local or try another company. Air Optix isn't the colors for you if you have dark Eyes, they should really state that on their box. Scammers!

Original review: April 10, 2018

What a mess this has been. We cancelled our VSP plan in December for the upcoming year, however the person that took our cancellation did not complete it correctly, so we continued to be charged for January and February until we caught it. We then called, and were told that the person completed the request incorrectly, and that we would be issued a refund within 7 business days. We waited for 3 weeks, nothing appeared. We called back and were told that the finance department read the request wrong and never issued the refund, and that we would need to wait 7 more business days.

So again, we waited two weeks, and no refund. We called again, and were told the EXACT same story, that the finance department misunderstood the request, and did not issue the refund. We will now need to wait 7 more business days for the refund. At this point, it's been 6 weeks since we were promised a refund. I do not know when we will get it, but it seems impossible. When we called we were promised that it was completed, but obviously we were lied to. How can you get something wrong so many times?

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I signed up for VSP insurance which was $12.61 monthly. I found out I already had vision insurance. I called VSP to cancel and was told I had to pay for an entire year before stopping my membership. I find this wrong and I feel I am being robbed!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Eye exam on Feb 17th, glasses picked and ordered. Sent back two weeks later scratched from the lab. Sent back with a two day turnaround. Did anyone see my glasses? This is March 15th, I haven't and neither has MyEyeDr., where I purchased them. No response from the VSP labs, nothing. Buy a Humana eye plan, my wife has it and they are fantastic. VSP, Very ** Product! I vote with my bucks.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I hear a bunch of people complaining about their year-long commitment and although it sounds unfair, it kind of makes sense. People are thinking this is like health care and it's not, they might not agree with it but you do have to be locked in for a year. It probably says it in the contract anyway. Being forced to auto-renew on the other hand, is pretty unreasonable though. Just my two cents. I'm writing about a totally different experience. My year was up in January. I emailed them a month before asking to cancel. They said, "You gotta email us later." I said okay...

I emailed them later. They said, "You are canceled." For the next MONTH OR TWO I am getting emails from them saying: 1) My payment is coming up and 2) My card is declined because they were charging an old card of mine. Thinking that I owed one more payment, I sent them a pre-validated check for $24 from Chase Bill Pay. Meaning the money is out of my account and it can't get back. Two weeks later they mail the check back to me. I call them and ask them why they did that? Turns out I never owed them money, they never took the reminders off and kept trying to ask me for money.

Well what about this check? I said... "I can't get it back from my bank... If I stop payment on it, it costs me $25. Can I send it to you and you can send me a check back?" (CS - "No... we can't do that..."). Well what am I suppose to do? "WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED US ABOUT IT." Basically it's MY FAULT that I sent money to a Vision insurance company because I was told that I owe them... and that I didn't check them for their mistakes. Luckily it's only $24 but that is not how you try to solve a problem. Blaming someone because your own billing practices forced them to send you a check...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

VSP and Eyeconic are terrible partners. Benefits are dramatically oversold and the partner Eyeconic website is simply one big scam. Price double the normal, and ridiculously poor service. I would advise dropping VSP - it simply is not worth the money, and check the fine print on the benefits is you are still interested.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company has a ONE YEAR cancellation policy. You heard that correctly. ONE YEAR. I purchased a family plan in August of 2016 and was automatically renewed in 2017. I made the mistake of using benefits at the beginning of the year (in Aug. 2017). In December of 2017, I got a new job that offered vision insurance (through VSP of all places). When I called VSP they would not cancel my policy because I had used the plan. I am now stuck paying $75 a month for the next 10 months while having double coverage. I spent an hour on the phone and there was no resolution. You're better off just paying cash with a credit card-- all VSP is a lay-away plan anyway.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I've had the VSP High Option through my employer for 3 years. Finally went for an eye exam from an out of network eye doctor. Got my glasses at Walmart Optical. The folks at Walmart were literally excited to find out I had the coverage I did because my glasses would be $10 irrespective of what I choose. Naturally I went with nice frames with the best lenses for my progressive bifocals with transitions lenses. Then I called VSP customer service to see if they would pay for out of network exams. The representative asked for the phone number of my doctor, put me on hold for about two minutes, called the doctor and had them send the bill directly to them. A complete WOW experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

VSP coverage states what the co-pay is for most 'benefits', however they don't actually cover anything useful in those benefits. Meaning that for most cases you end up paying more than just going without insurance. For example: Contact Lens Exam coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $0 co-pay, with $140 towards the cost of contact lenses themselves, but then in small print "Your contact lens exam is not covered. You'll need to pay the provider directly." If I have to pay the provider out of pocket for the contact lens exam, then why say that I have a $0 co-pay for a contact lens exam.

Prescription Lens coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $10 co-pay, however immediately below that is a price list for each lens (e.g. UV protection, scratch resistant protection, etc.) with a note that "you should expect to pay no more than the following costs..." With all the costs for lens types being more than what they are without insurance (from personal experience of having had to buy glasses without insurance). Worthless insurance - if your employer offers this, don't make the same mistake as I did.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

VSP's benefits (even on the highest tier) does not provide any discounts as with previous vision insurance (UHC) for glasses. Very little $$ is taken off from prescription glasses. Also doesn't help that the doctors in their network charge close to thousands for prescription glasses. One doctor I went to even tried to get my medical insurance information so he can avoid using VSP. Very shady practices from the doctors they are in business with.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I used to like VSP and always brought them business but not after today... Today that wonderfully fruitful business relationship comes to an end. I will never use them again. I tried to cancel my membership today and I was told I'm "locked in for a year"... The end of the year is in 9 months. They had me set up a MANDATORY monthly auto withdrawal. I explained to them that I've had a serious change in circumstances and am facing a hardship (I lost my job and am currently unemployed)... They didn't care, the rep stated their policy still stands.

What a load of **! This company cares solely about the dollar and most certainly not about the members! I don't do business with shady companies like that. Never again. This is the most asinine, ** policy and it only pisses people off. VSP will end up losing so much business over it. I'm young and if I were happy with VSP (had this situation not happened) I would have canceled and come back as soon as my employment was resumed with a new company. They would have made so many thousands of dollars from me, over my lifetime, to add to their (already hefty) bankroll. But, alas, another ** company bites the dust. Good riddance. On to their competitors I go, with the long list of other dissatisfied ex-members in this complaints log. Extremely Disappointed Soon-To-Be-Ex-Member.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Trying to cancel before your year ending date is impossible. The coverage is poor and the cost is too high. I have not used the insurance for two years and when I tried to cancel was told I would have to wait until September. This company in a sham and should be investigated for its poor service.

Original review: May 26, 2017

What does copay mean to these folks? To me, a $25 materials copay means I pay $25. Not so. Plan to pay much more than this for your eyeglasses, no matter where you go, or how much you downgrade to save money. Not worth it. I can order glasses online through EyeBuyDirect much cheaper and without insurance.

Original review: April 10, 2017

Rebate for Crizal and Varilux lenses: The rebate is a complete scam! In the fine print of the 10 paragraphs on the back of the rebate form it says it must be postmarked within 45 days of purchase, even if it is submitted before the deadline date. Very dissatisfied with VSP.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Wow. They overcharged me. Said they were putting me on one plan and they put me on another that didn't provide the services I paid for. Wouldn't fix the problems. Their website sucks. Their support by phone is useless. With this great plan, I paid more for my doctor and glass than if I'd just paid the doctor directly. Why bother?

Original review: March 6, 2017

I've had VSP since the Federal government first offered it to Federal employees, and it's always been great. Yes, there's a dollar limit on what it will pay for services, but that's true of any insurance. I've been extremely nearsighted but old enough for bifocals or trifocals, so my glasses ran around $850. Thanks to VSP, I have been able to keep my out-of-pocket expense to around $250. I've never had problems with verifying benefits, either. When I make the appointment for my eye exam, I tell the provider that I have VSP insurance. They call in advance, get the information on what my coverage will pay, and they're ready and able to help me select new frames and lenses.

I recently had cataracts removed from both eyes, and corrective lenses were implanted. Now, my vision is much better, but I still need some help with far distance and reading (My computer vision is perfect, though!). My eyes are good enough now that I no longer need high-index plastic lenses, so I'll be able to get the polycarbonate lenses that VSP pays completely. I don't know if the reviewers who hate VSP have the high or low option. I have the high option, which covers Transitions lenses, anti-scratch coating, and anti-reflective coating. One optometrist told me that I had the "Cadillac of vision insurance," and I believe it. Perhaps VSP packages for the private sector are not as generous; I wouldn't know. For Federal employees, though, it's excellent.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I had VSP for 1 year, and when it came time to renew, the card I had on file would not work. I got emails from them explaining this, so I went on their (awful) website and updated my payment info. But there's NO OPTION to actually submit a payment. That's just idiotic. So I waited a week hoping I'd see a charge for my current year's insurance. Nothing.

I call and speak to someone, he tells me I'm all up to date, this current year, not last year. Nothing more to do. Great! I set an eye exam for 2 weeks later. 2 weeks goes by and the doctor calls to tell me my insurance isn't going through. Well that's odd. I call VSP and speak to a billing representative, explaining the situation. Her answer: "There's no record of you calling us about this before, so you must've called the wrong number". I was dumbfounded. So I said, "You mean to tell me that I called the wrong number and some random person helped me with my customer service complaint and told me my insurance was up to date?" She said yes. I was absolutely floored.

The end result is that all I could do was renew my insurance with them for the full amount and it would take 5 days to go into effect. I will never do business with such an idiotic company again; I was perfectly willing to pay, they made it impossible online, then told me on the phone I was all set, then told me I was an idiot for calling a wrong number and speaking to a stranger who helped me with my VSP plan, then insisted that the only way to fix all this was to pay full price even though my appointment had to be canceled and my time had been wasted on 3 separate occasions. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I called VSP to inquire about my benefits that I haven't used yet to see how long I have left to use. I also told the person I spoke to that my husband's company now offers VSP through group plan and I wished to cancel before the next 12 mo term started. Ok, I've got until the end of the month to use my benefits and cancellation is handled. No problem, I thought until the next payment hit my checking account. I have now gotten several different stories from VSP. They can't do anything about refunding my money for two weeks, unless I can give them the name of the person I spoke with. So they can, but won't.

I am currently out of work and my husband only gets paid one a month, so that $55 I was going to have to make it until Friday (today is Tuesday) has been sucked away and I can't do anything about it. Apparently, the first thing their customer service people are taught is to say they don't have any record of the cancellation. Makes me think they make a lot of money that way. Sad sad sad.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

You need to be careful if you are selecting these crooks. Everyone and their mother knows what "Copay" means. When I go to my doctor, I have a $20 copay...means I pay $20 and the insurance picks up the rest. Apparently when VSP (Very ** Program) says a contact lens exam is a $15 copay, they actually mean they pay the $15 and you pay the rest! WTF!?! So I'm paying $16/month to get $15 off a once/year exam??? Does anyone have some ocean front property in Arizona they want to sell me...I'm buying! Hell, most providers don't even apply the $15 anyway...it's a joke and more hassle than it's worth. They just discount the exam by $15...probably because they would have to pay someone more than that per hour to fight with them to get paid!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

This is a scam in short. Went to the "affiliated", "in-network", "out-of-network" stores and nowhere you will be able to get a decent pair of glasses without paying exorbitant amount of money. In almost all the stores, they say the lens and frame will cost me close to $500 and VSP only pays 130 out of it. Useless to pay for its premium, instead directly go to the store and buy whichever frame and glass you want for way less money.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I thought the idea of ordering online and as part of VSP's preferred partner this would be fast and efficient. First their site is very slow but not a big deal overall. I ordered and upload my prescription for glasses 8 days ago and my order just went into fulfillment status yesterday - my glasses are not even made yet! So by the time you add on the 7-10 day delivery I may get them somewhere around 2-3 weeks post the date ordered. Should have just got my glasses at my doctor's office. Also they charged me 23.00 for frames/lens that were 100% covered by my VSP benefits and also a 25.00 co-pay that was already fulfilled when I saw my eye doctor. I questioned them on all of this and they said (2 days later) I should contact VSP about it. Just UGH!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I got my vision checked on 10/12/2016, my order was submitted and I was told by the optometrist's office that I would receive my glasses within 2 weeks. I called on the day they were supposed to be in, nothing, give it a few more days (2). Called again, give it more time (3 days), and we called them and got you a monetary rebate due to your trouble. Called again (2 days), and was told that the lab was supposed to call me. Strange, I didn't get any calls.

I call VSP and nothing is noted in my account. At this point I have been waiting 3 weeks and nothing is noted as being out of the ordinary even though they are supposed to call me. I raise hell. "Oh we had a computer issue at the lab." (10/14/2016 if you're curious.) "The optometrist wasn't supposed to quote you two weeks. They should be quoting 3." (Funny they get their estimates based on what VSP says.) "And the first pair failed QA, we're remaking them, and there IS a priority on your lenses now. For all of your trouble we'll get you another pair of lenses for free, just provide the frames."

I was told there was an outside chance I could get my glasses by today 11/4/2016 (but most definitely by 11/7) and when I called VSP (to cut my optician out of this, it's not their fault) their CS tell me no it's not shipped, and after they called the lab, it's going to be ANOTHER WEEK BECAUSE THE SECOND PAIR FAILED QA TOO!

I'm tired of waiting. I want my glasses, I do NOT have an accurate pair now, and therefore my eyes are getting worse the longer I wait. (I have a 20+ yr old pair that is about half strength of what I need on my bad eye.) Maybe someone will figure out how those darn newfangled computer machines work and learn how to cut the lenses and apply coatings correctly. I'm scared to send them my old frames now from the reviews I'm seeing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

What a joke! The premium does not get you a good deal. It is subtracted at the provider level so that you end up having them cover exactly the same amount as your premium payment! There's no savings! There's no value to having this plan! It restricts your doctor choice and gives you nothing. I got an email today to tell me THEY renewed my policy after I had cancelled it! A month after they put it into effect. When I called to again cancel this policy, they have no provision to provide the customer with email of proof of the conversation. Really?? This is the year 2016. No value, poor service, poor coverage. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I recently went to an affiliated network provider for VSP, the provider verified my insurance but had trouble understanding the coverage amounts. After about 45 minutes and three employees struggling over the telephone and online I said I would pay the bill and turn it in for reimbursement. Don't do it! My reimbursement was a total of $159.98 for a $900.00 bill with progressive lenses.

I have extra coverage and a copay for the progressive lenses that were a total cost of $650.00 they reimburse me $50.00. They only reimburse half of my frame coverage amount. I have not cashed the reimbursement check. I have called VSP and was told that their policy is to not give me full in-network reimbursement if I pay out of pocket. Their policy is to give me the lowest reimbursement possible. I was offered an extra $32.00. I did not want to pay out of pocket. Their employees are unable to determine what my coverage amount was. Days later I still have not cashed my check and I will not cash my check until I receive payment for my benefits as stated in my paperwork. I may end up in small claims court.

The employee that was answered the phone when I first made contact was unable to help and went to her Supervisor twice and came back and told me that he handed her a policy book and told her to read it. She read to me out of the policy book and said I should contact my provider and try to get money from them. Or I would hear from VSP in 3 days. What a joke!

The portion that our household pays not including what the company pays is more than what is covered by VSP. The CEO Jim MCGRANN states on their webpage that the consumer "should - and will - always win." His words are hollow. I have not won. Maybe he should read their policy book. I would not recommend them to anyone. Tell your family, tell your friends, and most important remember this when you go to open enrollment for your company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. I work for a Fortune 100 company that offered the VSP Choice plan. I was a bit skeptical of how good the insurance would be, so I carefully examined the summary of benefits. Before I made my appointment, I checked the VSP network online and I was happy to find that a major vision retailer was actually in network, as it seems that many people have had trouble finding one.

I was shocked to find that the majority of the cost of my lenses and frames were absorbed by the plan. I was able to find a pair of beautiful designer metal frames. My lenses were a combination of high-definition, lightweight premium polycarbonate, transition lenses with anti-reflective coating. I saved $505.99 by using the VSP choice plan. My overall cost without using insurance would have been $574.95. To sum it up, I paid about $79 out of pocket, and was very pleased!

There are a few bittersweet qualities in using this plan, though. I noticed that one could either use the vision plan to get prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses, or use it for contact lenses... but NOT both. I also noticed that if you do choose to have an elective contact lenses exam, the plan would only pay 15% of the cost with a maximum $60 copay. Compared to the eyeglasses benefit, this seems a bit "lopsided." All in all I left the vision center with a smile on my face. With a purported 7-10 day turnaround time to have my glasses ready, I'm hoping they arrive quickly!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

If I could give them a Zero I would. Two years ago one of their in network Dr's took 3 times to get me glasses that actually worked and had the gall to tell me they were going to charge me for the new lenses that had to be redone. I was always under the impression that you should be able to see with new glasses... silly me. They are supposed to know how to measure people for a prescription. This year I went back to my old eye DR who is out of Network. VSP is refusing to cover my exam because she puts down I have dry eyes which is medical and not cover any of my exam. What a RIP-OFF. I get this through my employer and will not be signing up for this coverage next year. I will also be sure all my co-workers know of this. What a farce of a company!

Original review: July 1, 2016

Their selection of frames (according to the salespeople) although have brand names, are all coming from same factory. They don't really have good variety and mostly made in China which break very easily. The labs are not the best I heard and delays of jobs happen constantly. Wish I knew better. I will not recommend this type of vision insurance to anyone as they are not quality.

Original review: June 28, 2016

My husband went to the eye dr the 9th and was told glasses would be ready in 1 week. Here it is 3 weeks later and still no glasses. The glasses order was sent to VSP lab and I have heard 3 times that they are going to be shipped later today only for them to say they did not pass inspection and had to start over. If you have this insurance do you ever really get your glasses? Don't use VSP unless you can wait at least a month for your glasses. Will never have this insurance again!

Original review: June 3, 2016

I had VSP Vision insurance before and was very satisfied. I got a job and cancelled them because insurance was offered to me cheaper through my job. I got laid off and needed my Vision insurance due to the fact I am blind as a bat. I decided to pick VSP back up because 4 years ago I was happy with them. So in February (2016) I called and of course the only payment opinions they have are the automatic payment coming from your account, which is something I don't like at all. I went ahead and continued on (my mistake) to get coverage. I used it a month after I got it. The plan I picked, now mind you I asked customer service about this because it didn't sound right, was suppose to cover glasses and contacts. That was why it was $21.00 a month. Got to the doctor, talked to the finance department to be told that the insurance only covered glasses or contact, that someone told me wrong. Ok, now at this point I am irritated.

Then she took me to the frames VSP gives discounts on and told me they only cover $150 on frames on other glasses, which the cheapest pair was $249.99 or $190 on this brand or this brand. I believe it is called their "featured" brand. So I looked and looked and finally found a pair of "flexon" frames that looked and fit good enough to pass for me. When I was ready to check out, my jaw hit the floor when she told me my total. With the insurance, I was told it was a $15 copay for exam and $30 copay on lenses. WRONG... My $45 copays turned into a total bill of $198.00 of things that the insurance didn't or wouldn't cover. Ok, after I picked up my jaw and fussed with women for a minute or two, I decided I wasn't getting anywhere and just pay it and never come back. I told myself then, it may not have been just the insurance, it was the place too.

But as these couple of months pass the insurance never takes out the money on my account at the same time, so I never know when to look forward when to count it out on my account. I'm not rich, so I kind of have to live from paycheck to paycheck and in this case off of money that my husband gives me. With me losing my job, I figured this could be one way to cut corners. I didn't know if they would cancel my account and if not at least help with swooping another plan. Nope!!! I called and they told me there was nothing they could do that I had a year to go on my plan and they couldn't change it. Ok, so we all know that I can't use it again and I have already paid half of my visit when I did use it, so why can't you change it. You will make your money back anyways. She offered no way of help, was short, and not to mention the insurance is crappy from the beginning.

So the only solution to getting away from them, is to cancel my account. Well, I guess you gotta do what'cha gotta do!!! I am not the type to get free rides or rip people off. If anything I rip myself off. I was trying to get a lower plan especially being they didn't cover anything like they said they did. I personally will not get this insurance again, plus trying to find a VSP provider is like pulling teeth from a bear. Not going to happen to easy and I live beside a fairly large town. I hope this review helps!

Original review: May 21, 2016

This company is a consumer NIGHTMARE! Why have an insurance that covers "all of these glasses over here, and these types of lenses," according to the Eye Dr. only to get a bill for everything that was "covered" by VSP! This is entrapment! If they were part of the BBB I would start complaining there. My two cents is, I would rather pay out of pocket than be misled and lied to. I can't wait to cancel this SCAM of an insurance company, and then go straight to my FORBES 500 company I work for and let them know what crooks VSP are. It's unfortunate for my Eye Dr. that I will be returning all of my glasses and lenses for a refund. Even my Eye Dr. confirmed that VSP is the WORST and most dishonest Insurance provider they partner with. They too spend hourly wages paying associates entire 8 hr shifts, just calling to deal with VSP.

They tell me they see what is covered by a patient's VSP plan, and provide them with the selection of frames to choose from, and the types of lenses that are covered. Then submit to VSP, only to have everything denied. My Question to VSP was, why would you tell an Eye Care provider who accepts your VSP insurance, what is covered, then deny the claim once it's submitted. They basically tell me, you need to call your eye care provider. Seriously, this is my mission to spread the word about VSP being thieves, crooked, liars. THIS COMPANY IS FRAUD! Something needs to be done. Who protects the consumer? Sincerely, Angry consumer!

VSP Vision Care expert review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

• Best for: VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy

Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information