VSP Vision Care

• 5%
  • 2%
  • 72%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
    Customer ServiceCoverageSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed June 11, 2024

To me VSP is just not worth it, at least if you're buying a plan yourself. Not sure if benefits are better if you get this from an employee. They show you all of the benefits on their site, but in those they do not tell you those are all "in network" benefits. You must go "in network" which again was not shown in the initial offering, nor when I spoke to them on the phone. What I also found is that if you go "in network" both eye exams and glasses are more expensive than let's say a Costco retail place. So will they cover more for their "in network" stores? Yes, but the prices for both exams and glasses are much more too. We are talking $150 exam at Costco vs $250 for one of their participating ODs. Same for glasses. Costco offers a lot of the additional coatings and lens types already built into their cost. It is much cheaper than a regular optical. Your out of pocket cost will be a lot higher, even if you go "in network".

So when I went to Costco and got an eye exam from an OD, they only covered part of that, not the full allowance. Then I got a pair of Oakley prescription glasses, again they only cover part of that, not the full allowance. So once I was all done, I have overpaid by over $100. I got zero benefits from VSP, other than them getting an extra $100 from me. It would have been cheaper for me to just do everything directly with Costco for $400. If you are considering VSP, I encourage you to ask them the questions for coverage "in network" vs "out of network" and get estimates from your OD and optical place before purchasing that insurance. Again, from my experience it is not worth getting at all. Feels more like a bait and switch to me.

Staff

Reviewed May 28, 2024

Terrible!! They only pay $125 for contacts every 2 years!!! So you are only allowed a 1 year supply at the optometrist but they only pay every 2 years??!! This is ridiculous!!! Dropping them ASAP. I cannot believe that the hospital chose such a terrible vision company for its employees!!

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 21, 2024

VSP is the worse insurance company you can find. They didn't pay for my checkup/prescription, they paid 70usd for prescription glasses (what costs that now a days?), denied prescription sunglasses and they didn't pay for contacts either, because they already paid 70usd for glasses in one year. When I told them that my prescription changed, and that's why I needed to change both, she said well that's the policy. Can't wait to change companies.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedReliability

Reviewed May 10, 2024

Worthless. Absolutely worthless. My healthcare benefits are supposed to cover glasses/contacts for my kids. I am forwarded from my health insurance website to the VSP website where it gives me an error immediately. I called them and had to create accounts for my kids in order to sign in. I signed in and can't find my benefits on their site. We have called them and asked about that and they basically say too bad. We had our insurance agent contact them and they told him the same thing. I tried to sign in again today with my kid's account and it won't let me sign in again. Waste of time and money.

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Won't allow for a zero star rating, worst vision company ever. Stay clear. Deny claims and lie. Refuse to give an explanation. If I could cancel my plan today I would. Unfortunately I have to wait until December.

Verified purchase
      CoverageSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed April 10, 2024

Don’t buy Vision Care insurance unless you have 3 or more kids (even then, not sure). In short, you pay out of pocket the same as what you’d pay at Costco without insurance but you ALSO pay the bi-weekly insurance premium. You’ll find that VSP doctors force copays and other mandatory chargers on top of the exam. I had to pay $110 out of pocket for each exam for my family. That's on top of insurance paying for the “exam”. Go to Costco instead and it’s $100-$125 for the exam without insurance cost of $700 per year.

I tried to get VSP to reimburse for contact purchases from Costco which were half the cost of their other providers. They would only reimburse $85 of $225 because (get this) I had the contacts delivered (at not extra cost) vs picking them up in the store (I have a $250 annual allowance). They say that online orders through Costco are not covered and are considered out of network. It’s just a total scam. Don’t sign up for vision insurance especially VSP. Pay out of pocket and it’s TOTALLY cheaper than getting insurance.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 8, 2024

I have this “insurance” through work. I hate this company! I purchased new glasses last year using this company. They supposedly saved me a lot of money by using their Lab for the lenses. The transition coating started coming off around the edges of my lenses at 6 months. I called my eye doctor thinking he would be the one to warranty these lenses. I had to call VSP. After doing so I was told there was NO warranty on these! I had to wait over 6 months to order new glasses with this insurance. I hope no one ever uses the VSP lab! Use the insurance to pay your local doctor for the lenses and glasses. You will be much happier with the outcome!

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceStaffReliability

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

3/20/23 I used my VSP benefit. Bill was $784, my share was $410. Exam & lenses were great. I had to return to Dr ** office several times to have the frames adjusted. Costco adjusted them too. Dr ** office wants to charge me $192 for new frames because VSP will not reimburse them because they are over 6 months old, I feel the frames are defective and VSP should pay for replacement. Myra their representative was no help after conference call with SHP & myself.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

I noticed last month I was charged twice for my plan. Somehow I was signed up for the same plan twice. I called them about this last month. They apologized, supposedly canceled the second plan and refunded me. It’s the next month and here we are again with the same problem. I’m still signed up for the same plan twice and I’m still being double charged. Ridiculous.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2023

The insurance is in place for one eye doctor visit and either one pair of glasses or contacts per year. One claim submitted for contacts and they are refusing to pay! There is no customer support, just transfers because no one is trained to assist. It's all a game of greed. Anyone reading this and dealing with insurance issues, though it's a bit of waiting period, the best thing to do is register a formal complaint to your State's Department of Insurance. Not only do insurance companies have to respond, if the Dept of Ins gets enough complaints, they will also investigation the insurance company.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information