VSP Vision Care

Compare Vision Insurance

Research top Vision Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I got my vision checked on 10/12/2016, my order was submitted and I was told by the optometrist's office that I would receive my glasses within 2 weeks. I called on the day they were supposed to be in, nothing, give it a few more days (2). Called again, give it more time (3 days), and we called them and got you a monetary rebate due to your trouble. Called again (2 days), and was told that the lab was supposed to call me. Strange, I didn't get any calls.

I call VSP and nothing is noted in my account. At this point I have been waiting 3 weeks and nothing is noted as being out of the ordinary even though they are supposed to call me. I raise hell. "Oh we had a computer issue at the lab." (10/14/2016 if you're curious.) "The optometrist wasn't supposed to quote you two weeks. They should be quoting 3." (Funny they get their estimates based on what VSP says.) "And the first pair failed QA, we're remaking them, and there IS a priority on your lenses now. For all of your trouble we'll get you another pair of lenses for free, just provide the frames."

I was told there was an outside chance I could get my glasses by today 11/4/2016 (but most definitely by 11/7) and when I called VSP (to cut my optician out of this, it's not their fault) their CS tell me no it's not shipped, and after they called the lab, it's going to be ANOTHER WEEK BECAUSE THE SECOND PAIR FAILED QA TOO!

I'm tired of waiting. I want my glasses, I do NOT have an accurate pair now, and therefore my eyes are getting worse the longer I wait. (I have a 20+ yr old pair that is about half strength of what I need on my bad eye.) Maybe someone will figure out how those darn newfangled computer machines work and learn how to cut the lenses and apply coatings correctly. I'm scared to send them my old frames now from the reviews I'm seeing.

What a joke! The premium does not get you a good deal. It is subtracted at the provider level so that you end up having them cover exactly the same amount as your premium payment! There's no savings! There's no value to having this plan! It restricts your doctor choice and gives you nothing. I got an email today to tell me THEY renewed my policy after I had cancelled it! A month after they put it into effect. When I called to again cancel this policy, they have no provision to provide the customer with email of proof of the conversation. Really?? This is the year 2016. No value, poor service, poor coverage. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

I recently went to an affiliated network provider for VSP, the provider verified my insurance but had trouble understanding the coverage amounts. After about 45 minutes and three employees struggling over the telephone and online I said I would pay the bill and turn it in for reimbursement. Don't do it! My reimbursement was a total of $159.98 for a $900.00 bill with progressive lenses.

I have extra coverage and a copay for the progressive lenses that were a total cost of $650.00 they reimburse me $50.00. They only reimburse half of my frame coverage amount. I have not cashed the reimbursement check. I have called VSP and was told that their policy is to not give me full in-network reimbursement if I pay out of pocket. Their policy is to give me the lowest reimbursement possible. I was offered an extra $32.00. I did not want to pay out of pocket. Their employees are unable to determine what my coverage amount was. Days later I still have not cashed my check and I will not cash my check until I receive payment for my benefits as stated in my paperwork. I may end up in small claims court.

The employee that was answered the phone when I first made contact was unable to help and went to her Supervisor twice and came back and told me that he handed her a policy book and told her to read it. She read to me out of the policy book and said I should contact my provider and try to get money from them. Or I would hear from VSP in 3 days. What a joke!

The portion that our household pays not including what the company pays is more than what is covered by VSP. The CEO Jim MCGRANN states on their webpage that the consumer "should - and will - always win." His words are hollow. I have not won. Maybe he should read their policy book. I would not recommend them to anyone. Tell your family, tell your friends, and most important remember this when you go to open enrollment for your company.

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience. I work for a Fortune 100 company that offered the VSP Choice plan. I was a bit skeptical of how good the insurance would be, so I carefully examined the summary of benefits. Before I made my appointment, I checked the VSP network online and I was happy to find that a major vision retailer was actually in network, as it seems that many people have had trouble finding one.

I was shocked to find that the majority of the cost of my lenses and frames were absorbed by the plan. I was able to find a pair of beautiful designer metal frames. My lenses were a combination of high-definition, lightweight premium polycarbonate, transition lenses with anti-reflective coating. I saved $505.99 by using the VSP choice plan. My overall cost without using insurance would have been $574.95. To sum it up, I paid about $79 out of pocket, and was very pleased!

There are a few bittersweet qualities in using this plan, though. I noticed that one could either use the vision plan to get prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses, or use it for contact lenses... but NOT both. I also noticed that if you do choose to have an elective contact lenses exam, the plan would only pay 15% of the cost with a maximum $60 copay. Compared to the eyeglasses benefit, this seems a bit "lopsided." All in all I left the vision center with a smile on my face. With a purported 7-10 day turnaround time to have my glasses ready, I'm hoping they arrive quickly!

If I could give them a Zero I would. Two years ago one of their in network Dr's took 3 times to get me glasses that actually worked and had the gall to tell me they were going to charge me for the new lenses that had to be redone. I was always under the impression that you should be able to see with new glasses... silly me. They are supposed to know how to measure people for a prescription. This year I went back to my old eye DR who is out of Network. VSP is refusing to cover my exam because she puts down I have dry eyes which is medical and not cover any of my exam. What a RIP-OFF. I get this through my employer and will not be signing up for this coverage next year. I will also be sure all my co-workers know of this. What a farce of a company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Their selection of frames (according to the salespeople) although have brand names, are all coming from same factory. They don't really have good variety and mostly made in China which break very easily. The labs are not the best I heard and delays of jobs happen constantly. Wish I knew better. I will not recommend this type of vision insurance to anyone as they are not quality.

My husband went to the eye dr the 9th and was told glasses would be ready in 1 week. Here it is 3 weeks later and still no glasses. The glasses order was sent to VSP lab and I have heard 3 times that they are going to be shipped later today only for them to say they did not pass inspection and had to start over. If you have this insurance do you ever really get your glasses? Don't use VSP unless you can wait at least a month for your glasses. Will never have this insurance again!

I had VSP Vision insurance before and was very satisfied. I got a job and cancelled them because insurance was offered to me cheaper through my job. I got laid off and needed my Vision insurance due to the fact I am blind as a bat. I decided to pick VSP back up because 4 years ago I was happy with them. So in February (2016) I called and of course the only payment opinions they have are the automatic payment coming from your account, which is something I don't like at all. I went ahead and continued on (my mistake) to get coverage. I used it a month after I got it. The plan I picked, now mind you I asked customer service about this because it didn't sound right, was suppose to cover glasses and contacts. That was why it was $21.00 a month. Got to the doctor, talked to the finance department to be told that the insurance only covered glasses or contact, that someone told me wrong. Ok, now at this point I am irritated.

Then she took me to the frames VSP gives discounts on and told me they only cover $150 on frames on other glasses, which the cheapest pair was $249.99 or $190 on this brand or this brand. I believe it is called their "featured" brand. So I looked and looked and finally found a pair of "flexon" frames that looked and fit good enough to pass for me. When I was ready to check out, my jaw hit the floor when she told me my total. With the insurance, I was told it was a $15 copay for exam and $30 copay on lenses. WRONG... My $45 copays turned into a total bill of $198.00 of things that the insurance didn't or wouldn't cover. Ok, after I picked up my jaw and fussed with women for a minute or two, I decided I wasn't getting anywhere and just pay it and never come back. I told myself then, it may not have been just the insurance, it was the place too.

But as these couple of months pass the insurance never takes out the money on my account at the same time, so I never know when to look forward when to count it out on my account. I'm not rich, so I kind of have to live from paycheck to paycheck and in this case off of money that my husband gives me. With me losing my job, I figured this could be one way to cut corners. I didn't know if they would cancel my account and if not at least help with swooping another plan. Nope!!! I called and they told me there was nothing they could do that I had a year to go on my plan and they couldn't change it. Ok, so we all know that I can't use it again and I have already paid half of my visit when I did use it, so why can't you change it. You will make your money back anyways. She offered no way of help, was short, and not to mention the insurance is crappy from the beginning.

So the only solution to getting away from them, is to cancel my account. Well, I guess you gotta do what'cha gotta do!!! I am not the type to get free rides or rip people off. If anything I rip myself off. I was trying to get a lower plan especially being they didn't cover anything like they said they did. I personally will not get this insurance again, plus trying to find a VSP provider is like pulling teeth from a bear. Not going to happen to easy and I live beside a fairly large town. I hope this review helps!

This company is a consumer NIGHTMARE! Why have an insurance that covers "all of these glasses over here, and these types of lenses," according to the Eye Dr. only to get a bill for everything that was "covered" by VSP! This is entrapment! If they were part of the BBB I would start complaining there. My two cents is, I would rather pay out of pocket than be misled and lied to. I can't wait to cancel this SCAM of an insurance company, and then go straight to my FORBES 500 company I work for and let them know what crooks VSP are. It's unfortunate for my Eye Dr. that I will be returning all of my glasses and lenses for a refund. Even my Eye Dr. confirmed that VSP is the WORST and most dishonest Insurance provider they partner with. They too spend hourly wages paying associates entire 8 hr shifts, just calling to deal with VSP.

They tell me they see what is covered by a patient's VSP plan, and provide them with the selection of frames to choose from, and the types of lenses that are covered. Then submit to VSP, only to have everything denied. My Question to VSP was, why would you tell an Eye Care provider who accepts your VSP insurance, what is covered, then deny the claim once it's submitted. They basically tell me, you need to call your eye care provider. Seriously, this is my mission to spread the word about VSP being thieves, crooked, liars. THIS COMPANY IS FRAUD! Something needs to be done. Who protects the consumer? Sincerely, Angry consumer!

My coverage for myself and my husband should have been a simple process: we submitted the receipt from Kaiser and a clear explanation of our coverage for an out of network provider and should have gotten $235 reimbursed for my trifocal lenses, frames, my husband's frames, and single vision lenses. Instead, we got a check for $105 for contact lenses. Neither of us got contacts, so I wrote them a letter, returned the check, and explained that they must have gotten someone else's bill mixed up with ours. I included my husband's letter, the bill from Kaiser as well, a copy of the coverage we should expect from my employer, and clearly explained what they owed us and sent it March 4, 2016. My husband just called them today, May 19, 2016 because we never heard back from them. They could not explain why they had made such a mistake, and they did find the check and my letter, and also could not explain why they had not responded.

They argued that since Kaiser said I had progressive lenses, they would not reimburse me for trifocals, so they are refunding us $220. Otherwise we could go back to Kaiser, get them to correct the receipt, and send it all again to VSP. Not worth the hassle. (According to my description of coverage from my employer, progressive lenses are not listed at all, they only mention the trifocals that I got). Would I buy this extra vision care coverage again? No, thank you. I am unimpressed with their service. Not worth the hassle for us.

I gave up on trying to find a decent VSP doctor and went to my usual and just paid out of pocket. I figured that I could make up some of that back by using VSP's eyeconic.com website. SO HORRIBLE. I placed the order on December 31. Okay, New Year's Eve day, so maybe it would take a little longer... Packed SHIPPED on Jan. 21. They did send me a 5% discount apology. So I wanted to chalk it up to a onetime thing because I'm pretty lazy, so I just tried to reorder.

Logged in, clicked re-order and because they updated their systems, all prescriptions from before Jan. 1 were not carried over and I would have to verify my prescription again, which is what customer service told me. When I asked what the benefit of the website is because costco has cheaper contacts, no shipping and arrives in less than a week, her response was, "What do you want from me?" Awesome. Totally not worth the $ on insurance. Just pay $75 for your monthly exam and get your stuff at costco.

Nearly every place that accepts this coverage charged an arm and a leg for frames. After sending an email asking to deny a glasses claim (the salesman was pushy and ordered them after I specifically said not to), VSP took a week to get back to me. They finally responded back asking permission to use my name to resolve the issue. Well, yes. Please. How else would you resolve it? Now it's been another week, no more contact with customer service, and I've since gotten a call from the eye clinic telling me my glasses were ready. After telling them I didn't want them, and had told at least two people there I didn't want them, the salesman (same pushy jerk that ordered them after I said no) got irritated with me. I won't bother using my "insurance" again. I'll go back to Costco where the customer service is great and the prices are reasonable.

I know that VSP insurance sends their glasses to their own optical lab and that they do a very poor job at putting their glasses together. Not only that but the few places that do take VSP Insurance raise their rates to make up for the difference of what they are actually paid. I have some frames that retailed for $99.00 and Focus Vision charged $300 to make up the difference of what they thought they could steal from me to make up the difference in what VSP GIVES THEM. It's a total scam. Good luck dealing with VSP. You're better off just paying for the glasses yourself than paying their recurring residual.

I purchased transition lenses back in August 2015 while VSP was offering a $20 rebate on such purchases. I promptly submitted the correct rebate information online. It is now late December 2015 and I have yet to receive my rebate despite several emails to their customer service dept. All I keep hearing is "Due to large demand there is a delay and my rebate is in final processing". I am ready to report them to the attorney general's office, they seem shady and count on people to forget about it so they can keep the money!

I was notified recently by my optometrist that all VSP customers can no longer get their frames and lenses produced at their own lab, and must be sent to VSP designated optical labs. Once I was told of the change, I also had to sign a waiver that I cannot make my optometrist liable for any damages to my frame and lenses due to VSP negligence. I naively believed that VSP opticians are professionals, and didn't think much about this odd waiver I was signing.

It took 2 wks for my lenses and frame to get done, and upon receiving them, I was horribly disgusted and shocked by the shoddy work done by VSP opticians. My right lens was misaligned and my frames bent (including the screw that kept my lens hinged). There is leftover glue that surrounded my lens and frame, as it seemed like a last minute triage save to keep my lenses from popping out completely. There is an obvious gap b/w my right lens and the frame. It's a matter of time for my lens to pop out. VSP, if you're reading this, you need better QC with your optician staff and services. Clearly NOT acceptable.

I can't explain how AHS did a contract with VSP for its employees. Very limited coverage; very few providers contracted and ridiculous reimbursement policy.

I joined VSP on 7/01/2015. Seen my VSP physician provider on 7/02/2015. My VSP savings statement was $659.00 without coverage and $128.00 with the coverage. I was told that my glasses would take 10 working days to arrive from VSP labs or possible sooner according to their recent turnaround. My order went out from my doctor's office Monday the 5th and awaiting to receive my new glasses. Well Vision Exam process was great and savings was remarkable. I have nothing negative to say about VSP. I highly recommend them if you like savings and quality Customer service. Now I'm hoping that I receive my glasses as promised. Will update you on the result when this happens. :)

Updated 7/14/2015 - I'm writing this as an update to my review submitted on 7/10 on VSP Vision Care. I received my new glasses after only 7 working days, and I am very pleased with the results. I CAN ACTUALLY SEE NOW! Great company!

VSP is a marketing strategy that allows employer to pretend like they are offering vision coverage. First, no decent eye doctor will accept VSP because the reimbursement rate is too low. Second, the doctors that do accept VSP will require additional "up selling" and including unreimbursed services to make up for VSP. This basically means they get you in the door with the "free" eye exams and overcharge you on everything else or require a bunch of extras so you end up paying more than you would have, had you visited the doctor you want to go to in the first place!

Going out of network is barely worth the effort. They will reject claims on technicalities and require re-filing. Everything has to be mailed in. It reminds of how rebates used to work! The amount covered out of network barely exceeds the premium paid so it's hardly worth the effort. If your current eye doctor happens to accept VSP, you hit the lottery and VSP might be worth it. For all others, avoid.

I enrolled with VSP as an individual 4 years ago when I retired. I'd had the coverage through my employer and had been satisfied with it. The individual coverage has sucked. First of all I tried to set up my account on the VSP website but could never get the account set up. Phone calls were a waste of time as I never got to speak to a live person. As so many others have mentioned, VSP does not disclose that cancellation can only take place during your annual renewal period. Since I never got a renewal notice how was I supposed to know that? They don't provide a statement so I had no idea what they actually paid towards my glasses. My provider (in network) had difficulty getting approval. A nightmare to work with and EXCEEDINGLY poor customer service.

I've paid my money now I want what I paid for. Is that an unreasonable request? I purchased prescription glasses using VSP. My first set of lenses was either made incorrectly or incorrect instructions were sent by Teagle Optometry in Valencia, CA. They had to send them back, stating it'd be "a few days" to get the new ones. 8 days later, nothing. I finally persuaded Teagle to look into it. They discovered that the lab that VSP requires optometrists to use in Sacramento, CA has a LOT of returns. My new lenses were made, but didn't pass quality control, so they were making new ones. And though a reasonable person will think that order would immediately be remade, apparently the VSP lab does things differently. I'm now at the bottom of the list, and it will take ANOTHER week for them to be made.

I told Teagle they need to TELL THEIR PATIENTS that VSP requires them to use a substandard lab that has lots of returns and takes a LONG time, giving us the option NOT to use VSP if we choose. I guess you get what you pay for. I will add that I never received any membership information - no card, membership number, no email confirmation, nothing. I sent at least three separate emails requesting this, and they FINALLY sent me an electronic copy (in a nearly impossible-to-open XPS file, not the common PDF. It took me a good half-hour to even view it). I have never received any other membership info by mail or email. Nothing.

I had my eyes examined by eye dr. on Tues. 4/7/15. The prescription was sent in to the lab to be filled and it is now 4/24/15 and I still have not received my glasses nor even an explanation from the lab for the delay.

I cancelled service with Vision Service Plan, and they continue to debit my account. This predatory behavior is illegal.

I tried calling them one time to cancel because I didn't have a job anymore since I worked around cat litter and jumpy dogs. I didn't want to put the burden of all of my financial responsibilities on my Fiancé so I called VSP one day to see if I could cancel my plan. I was told I couldn't because it's a 12 month contract and it automatically renewed. Do know, I did not see anywhere on the USAA page where I signed up for it to say that they put "it's mandatory I stay on the 12 month contract and can only cancel within that month" and automatically renews. I also had no idea it renewed without my knowledge. I didn't get an email or anything in that matter. I told them “how do you expect for it to be paid then?” And they told me “maybe with a credit card or find help.”

I think it's complete bull crap when someone can't financially pay for something anymore they shouldn't HAVE to stay with the plan and it should be clear from the start on the sign up page that it is a 12 month contract that you can't cancel until its time is up. So for your sake, once signed up for the policy you're locked in for the YEAR and cannot cancel it no matter the circumstances. Don't get me wrong at least they covered most of my visit to the eye doctor except 30 bucks but that's because I went to an eye doctor that would cover most of the expenses anyway. It's not worth getting this kind of plan honestly.

So, my employer gives Safety Goggles to all thru VSP. VSP says no goggles unless you need a prescription. Wait, so if I've great eyesight, I'm SOL? Whatever.

I printed out a copy from VSP that says my daughter qualified for all benefits except glasses and scheduled her appt. The eye doctor ran the same screening and was also approved until we ordered the contacts in which case they told us she would not get more contacts until October. I do not want my daughter wearing her contacts for an extended amount of time however VSP seems to believe that she only needs 6 months of contacts per year. We pay our insurance so we don't have this out of pocket expense. She has been wearing contacts for 2 years and we have had the same exact insurance and this is the first time we have been forced to come up with the entire $124 for the contacts.

Next time you decide to make changes to my calpers account you better notify me. I was not notified of being switched over to vsp advantage, you had no right. I should have been given a choice. I'm not an obama care crony. I have the right to know. You manage to take money out of my check manage to notify me. Just for the record, your survey won't let me mark 1 star. It goes your way, bs. I would not recommend you and all 1 star against you.

I finally found out why you get more benefit when buying contacts or glasses from vsp doctor vs. going with out of network vendors. When you buy from vsp providers, vsp pays the providers instead of you. But when you buy from out of network vendors, vsp pays you back as reimbursement. The key here is that the consumers doesn't know how much vsp really pays their network doctors. $130 contact lens benefit at the doctor's office only translates to $105 payment to the doctor. And that's the reason you'll only get $105 reimbursement when you buy from out of network vendors. It's the same with glasses. $120 frame benefit only turns to $47 for the doctor. Vsp is forcing their network providers to increase the material prices to avoid a loss.

You may think this is a scam. But if you look around, this is how insurance works in general. Vsp is actually the better one among other vision insurances. I tried others and finally switched back. I tried one with good coverage but very difficult to find providers and the providers I call always busy and had to wait 3-4 weeks for an appointment. Please do list a better alternative if you find one. I really like to switch to it.

I had an eye exam and ordered my glasses on January 23, 2015. I was told at the beginning it would take 2 weeks - possibly a little longer as they had been running a little behind. Now it has been ONE MONTH and I'm being told IF they pass inspection, they will be shipped late next week. They were ready about 10 days ago but I was told by my doctor that they were broken before they could be shipped. I have written two emails and received an apology/explanation both times. That does me no good... I need my glasses! I was later told by VSP that my glasses were not broken but didn't pass inspection because the coating was not right. You would think that if VSP wants to keep customers, they would put a rush on any glasses that were not good the first time, but it appears that I went to the back of the line again. I feel like I was stupid and have been ripped off. NEVER again!

I ordered my glasses at MyEyeDr.com local office 3 weeks ago, and the lab that they are required to use still has not fulfilled my order. 3 weeks is not acceptable to wait for regular bifocal glasses.

"IN NETWORK" is distinctly limited to small, private eye care providers. For this reason, could only be helpful in rural or small town areas, where choices are very limited. I feel that VSP is a complete waste of money for patients in large Metropolitan areas, particularly if you prefer the larger, more popular vision care RETAILERS. Not practical that eyeglass FRAMES only covered every OTHER year. Overall, the only party who reaps any benefit from your payments for coverage is VSP Vision. To be more honest, THEY SHOULD CHANGE THE WORD "CARE" to "ILLUSION!" I have registered a complaint with my employer and asked them to pursue another source for vision care plan.

Expert Review

Cyril TuohyInsurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.    More about Cyril→

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.
  • Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.
  • Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.
  • LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.
  • Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.
  • Best for VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

Compare Vision Insurance