3.8/5 (445 ratings)

About VSP Vision Care

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

Had autopay going for a while until it stopped for some reason and I couldn’t even log into the website to do anything about it, said my information didn’t exist in their database, then who has been sending me emails threatening me with these consequences? Long story short don’t even waste your time with this company. They are trash.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

This company is fraudulent. Say they will give you a rebate and then come up with every reason not to. I was given a number to call and prompts in order to get a supervisor on the phone, which I succeeded the first time I called. They said, "Wait 7-10 days and you’ll get a response." NOPE! No response. Now I called that same number back, and the prompts have changed and there is no possible way to get a human on the phone now. I’m getting my lawyer involved now. Total fraud.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I cancelled my plan & had to wait until Dec. 31, 2022, for plan to expire. Still waiting for my refund! Was told refund was processed on their end at 6:23 a.m. Jan. 19. Funds ARE NOT in my bank account! NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!! Nothing but platitudes in an effort to calm customers down who are demanding their refund! Another cog in the corporate wheel only concerned about their bottom line! The epitome of corporate greed! NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Tried several times to contact this company. Was hung up on, left on hold for almost an hour. Took multiple times to finally get someone to cancel my vision insurance. Told that I would receive an email to cancel but still nothing...

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I have been attempting for over 2 weeks to cancel my policy which I have never used. Impossible to get to a person. I am told I need to talk to agent, am transferred and disconnected. I email the number provided and get reply that I have to contact different customer service email and get response they cannot cancel and refer me back to original number! Awful phone system they have and even after being on hold for 28 minutes I cannot talk to a person who can actually help. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

They falsely advertises their reimbursement rates. Be aware that what you see on their website is deceitful and leaves you unaware that any fine print even exists, specifically the contact reimbursement rate. You won’t find any of that info on their site. Plus they're completely aware of this which makes me even more annoyed!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

VSP is the worst vision care insurance ever. I tried to login to their website, keep getting below error. Tried calling their customer service line, it say, "Due to high call volume we are unable to assist you;" and just hangs up! No customer service, no assistance. Very very bad company.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Glasses are made with cheap materials and defects. One of my lenses popped out at top and won't go back in. Very disappointed with quality. I reached out a few times to get replacements but never got back to me. I will never buy cheap glasses that are of very poor service and unresponsive customer service. Never again!!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

The VSP individual insurance policy I purchased did not allow me to cancel when I no longer needed the policy. Instead, VSP required me to continue paying for an entire year of coverage, up to the one-year anniversary of my purchasing the policy, even after the policy was useless to me. VSP explained that I could not cancel the policy because I had put in a claim while covered by the policy and the company had paid the claim. Only if I had not used my benefits would VSP allow me to cancel the policy. The claim I filed was for a single routine eye exam. When I tried to put in a cancellation of my policy several months in advance of the one-year anniversary, VSP told me I couldn't do that. I had to call back within 30 days prior to the renewal date or the policy would automatically renew. Thus, VSP deliberately made it harder to cancel the policy that I no longer needed.

VSP's representatives state that I agreed to pay VSP for an entire year of coverage at the time I signed up for it, unless I did not use the benefits of the policy. As I understand it, this is not standard practice in health, dental, or vision insurance. I was covered by Delta Dental at the same time as my VSP coverage was in effect. Delta Dental canceled my policy cheerfully in an easy, two-minute phone call, even though I had used their benefits while I was covered. I checked with a person with insurance industry experience to ask, if in this industry veteran's opinion, VSP's cancellation ban was standard practice in the insurance industry. The industry veteran stated that it in his opinion it was not.

VSP's strategy appears to be to extract money from customers by any possible means, against the wishes of the customer. The fact that customers "agree" to this exploitative arrangement when they click the button purchasing their policy doesn't change the stupidity of VSP's behavior. It also doesn't change the fact that other insurance companies do not feel the need to have such a predatory policy in order to remain financially successful.

Anyone considering purchasing individual insurance from VSP should understand the conditions they are agreeing to when they purchase the policy. Based on my personal experience, I strongly recommend against anyone purchasing insurance from a company that goes out of its way to force customers to pay for a product they no longer need.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

You only get 1 pair of glasses a year. You cannot get distance and reading glasses under this plan. You get one or the other. It's not worth the saving. Yes they offer other benefits but they are not used by me.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information