Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I don't receive benefits from my workplace so I decided to sign up for VSP as I try to keep my glasses prescription up to date. I've been paying $25 a month for over a year now for my husband and I and each time I try to make an appointment to get a regular eye exam, there has been some issue with my insurance. Come to find out, our plan doesn't cover eye exams. I just paid $170 for an eye exam and a routine retinal screening. On top of that, I won't be able to be reimbursed for my exam or glasses from what I'm reading. STAY AWAY, this company is a scam. I could have saved the $300 we spent paying for this stupid "insurance" and gotten the same thing done for a way cheaper price. What a freaking rip off.

I called to cancel my plan today and after battling the automated system, was bounced around to three people who each were supposed to be authorized to cancel my plan. The last guy was really short with me and rude. He asked if I "don't want to pay for a renewal" when I told him point blank that I want to cancel my coverage. I don't know if it's typical, but he said I won't get an email confirming my cancellation for about 6 days. If you're here trying to figure out if you should sign up with VSP, don't do it!! It's not worth it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

We have bad experiences every time we try to use this insurance. The insurance does not provide you an customer ID so you need to provide name + SSN. The problem is that every time we try to use they are not able to find my name + SSN. Last time my wife spent 90 minutes in Costco trying to use that with no success at the end. This is a very frustrating product. I sent them a feedback message and their answer showed that they don't care about the customer experience since they told they will not validate the process or change anything. I would really opt on another company if I had an option.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

So I purchased a Vision Plan through VSP and it has been the worst experience I've ever dealt with. I have been on the phone every single day for a week dealing with these people and I've talked with as many as 8 people a day. I had to cancel my eye exam because they had my policy so jacked up my provider even advised me maybe I should just cancel my policy with these people. Worst customer service department EVER!! If you're looking for a eye care plan I would strongly advise you look elsewhere, your plan won't be correct and when you have to deal with the customer service department it will be your worst nightmare. They aren't on the same track at all and you will get a different explanation from each person you talk to. I have since canceled my policy with these idiots and will never do business with them again!!! RIP OFF!!! I can't wait to see how much trouble I'm going to have with my cancelation.

Original review: July 20, 2020

VSP is so bad that the eye doctor that I go to are warning patience that there is a good chance that they will lose the order. Lost my expensive heavy duty frames, oh well is their response. The customer service people at my eye doctor regret that the eye doctor that I go to sold their in-house lab.

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you want to have vision insurance that covers mostly nothing, long wait times, with a cancellation policy that does not cancel when you request it, but when THEY tell you they will cancel it, then this is the "insurance" for you. I tried to cancel my policy immediately during the COVID-19 pandemic because my optometrist has been closed for months. They have to "review" why you want to cancel. They would not cancel my policy immediately, but instead, 2 months later, still charging me for premiums I CANNOT USE. They have no compassion whatsoever, and I will NEVER use their "services" again. Sickening.

Original review: April 12, 2020

I wore progressive lenses before cataract surgery two years ago. The surgery improved my vision, but I need to wear reading glasses and prescription sunglasses for astigmatism. I decided to go back to progressive lenses for driving and reading, to cut down on pairs to keep up with. VSP makes me have to use their factory, and they take longer than the factory my doctor prefers. I paid $180 co-pay for new lenses.

When I received my new lenses, I could not see as well as I could without them. I was given a vision re-check and a new pair with a tweak was ordered. I picked up the remake during COVID-19 shutdown and could not get them checked in office. When I put them on, I knew that they were still wrong. I have been trying to wear them for about 3 days, can't see well, and they give me headaches. VSP only allows 1 remake, so I guess I am stuck with them. However, as I was explaining to my daughter what is wrong with them, I noticed 2 black ink marks on each lens. This makes me wonder if they were even remade, if I am still wearing the original wrong prescription lenses that were marked at the dispensary.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

This company has refused to pay for my last three pairs of glasses. They cost between $52 and $150 apiece. The claims are for out-of-network, but the price is extremely low. In-network, the best price I could get is over $500. VSP seems to be a campaign to funnel business to specific retailers and then over-charge because most people will not question the cost of the glasses. My Rx is zero adjustment for distance (had Lasik), but 1.75 for progressive readers. I am given an excuse and promises for follow-up each time, yet nothing ever happens. I am filing a complaint through my employer, which charges me premiums for their 'better' coverage.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

VSP Customer Service is extremely poor what would Founder: Bernhardt N. Thal say? VSP has provided the WORST vision service I've ever experienced 55min hold time with elevator music. Customer representative Shivonne is CS breathing heavy on the phone sounding like she hate their job, using words like yeah, dude, you got it so poor cs. VSP for making accessing a basic benefit such a atrocious process. Bad customer service #1. Putting customers on hold for too long. This is one of the most common examples of bad customer service calls. The prospect of being placed on hold for several minutes is enough to inspire a sense of dread in even the most upbeat caller. VSP Poor service can make a significant impact on a vision rates, causing would-be buyers to look elsewhere. In fact, bad customer service costs businesses a combined $62 billion each year.

Using negative language, lack of training. I encounter VSP agents saying they ‘don’t know’ how to help them & fail to inspire confidence are likely to feel disillusioned with VSP overall service. VSP Transferring me again and again Being bounced from one VSP agent to another and another is another of the most familiar examples of VSP bad customer service calls. VSP not only does this imply your VSP staff don’t know how to solve a problem, it suggests your entire VSP structure needs work too. VSP Asking me to repeat. They ACH your account when they want. VSP agent fails to empathize with their customers and is simply running through the script without any emotional engagement. I started to feel as if there’s no admission of responsibility or genuine apology. VSP Directing customers to the website extreme poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Today I received my CalPERS retirement check showing a VSP deduction. I am 15 years retired and did not enroll. Neither calpers nor vsp can help me remove and discontinue this coverage which I did not request. Shame on you vsp.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

They are the worst ever company when it comes to doing business online. It has been more than a month since I ordered my son's glasses from their online site eyeconic.com. Glasses have not even shipped and no one knows where are they or what is the order status. There is no sense of timing or urgency in this company. They sell glass against their own insurance and then won't ship them and will wait for one benefits to expire. It is a huge scam. If you really want to use your benefits stay away from eyeconic.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information