3.9/5 (356 ratings)

About VSP Vision Care

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Stay away from VSP! They are a total waste of money. I could have had an eye exam and lenses for my glasses for less money on my own than what I ended up

spending. I had no idea I was being looped into a contract and the vision doctor can charge whatever they like so in the end the consumer gets racked over the coals.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Had an eye exam in May - it's October and I have yet to get my claim and my money back. I have called 5 times to get this figured out only to get the run around.

Do not recommend this company. Very hard to work with. Plan coverage is not that good either.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Do not use this insurance provider. I had horrible choices for vision care; I was charged more hidden fees when I used it; my contacts were hardly covered; and when I canceled their service when I moved out of state, they charged me for the rest of the year. They have horrible customer service, and love the run around/transfer your call. Paying out of pocket for my vision needs this year would have been cheaper and less of a headache.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Please consider a different provider if you are looking for coverage. VSP has been a headache ever since I signed up for coverage. At first I could not log into my account due to being locked out. I called a rep, and they unlocked my account, but I still had problems logging on. I was able to verify my credentials, but my password would either time out or would be completely be wrong- even after resetting it. After trying to reset my password on multiple occasions, I gave up. It would not let me access any part of my account, and I could not use my coverage.

I called to get my coverage cancelled, and was immediately transferred to billing. After explaining my situation, they said my coverage was cancelled. However, they did not cancel it the first time I called nor did they cancel it the last 2x!! I was extremely fed up. I was being charged for a plan that I could NOT USE, and they kept transferring me to different people. This went on for 2 years! The plan that I could not access was being auto-renewed and charging my account. I finally threated to call my bank and ask for a block of VSP monthly payment. After I threated that, I was finally transferred to someone who could cancel my plan.

Everything about the billing of VSP is awful. I have multiple email chains of me going back and forth asking for a cancellation, and multiple hours spent on the phone with people who could not provide an answer as to why they could not deal with this situation. Overall, I probably lost a few hundred dollars due to this awful experience. Please stay away unless you want this coverage for the rest of your life.

Original review: June 21, 2021

The claim process with out-of-network providers really poor, when you call for answers all you get are excuses. The process to pay bills that you have paid out of your pocket makes it very difficult not to pay them.

Original review: May 21, 2021

VSP coverage is worthless. We have paid for 2 vsp plans for years and when it is time for our eye exams and new glasses we have found that going to an out of network place and not using either of the insurance plans is cheaper than using insurance. Using our insurance costs us $400 more than no insurance. This isn't okay. Vsp is a complete rip off.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I normally try to get my eyes examed every 2 years because I am blind as a bat. Well with the current world I had to find a new eye insurance coverage and fast because my glasses broke and I needed to get a new pair ASAP. Well I looked around and the eye doctor I was going to recommended VSP. I took a little while and looked into it and well it looked very nice. They offered 15 dollar copay's and lens coverage and Allowances for frames or contact. The only confusing part and I may be dumb was when they say 25 dollars for lenses or frames in the prescription lenses section. I thought that would mean I pay a copay of 25 dollar for the lenses or each lens and a little extra for any added stuff like anti-glare and something like that.

Well I get to the eye appointment and it is all going smooth. I tell the first lady I have VSP. She seems happy about it and EVEN says, "Oh okay your copay then is only 15 dollars." I remember this part very well. Then she takes me to the first part where they do that air in the eye and stuff. Well she lets me know they will not be dilating my eyes but instead they have this new machine that does pretty much a eye xray thing and charge me 20 dollars for it. I agree because well my exam copay is only 15 dollars plus 20 so what is 35 dollars. She even agreed because I said so 20 on top of the 15 because I just wanted to keep track of what I was spending. She agrees and so in my mind I have only spent 35 dollars before whatever taxes.

We get to the exam and no joke it was over in 6 minutes IF that because my eyes are pretty much a hair off from what the old glasses were. Well this is when the fun part happens. I get out and let the lady know what frames I want and we start discussing lenses and stuff and I mention I want contacts as well because I like having them just in case or sometimes I just like to wear them over glasses. She says okay but then tries to use the VSP for the contacts and do some other deal so the contacts are 90% covered but I will pay for the glasses. Well I work that out and she figures out I will be mainly wearing glasses so not a big deal. She uses my allowance for the glasses.

NOW FOR THE BILL. I ask her for a sort of current total so I know what I am in for and what I can spend on the lenses and stuff. She starts off with the exam and says so the exam is 58 dollars and I look at her like um what? I said I know about the extra imaging charge of 20 dollars but my copay is and from what the lady also said is 15 dollars. She said yeah that is right. I said okay thinking that it will just be counted off the bill later. Well then I start talking cost of my glasses and and stuff and she says something like it would be cheaper to just use the discount we offer which is 50% off. The thing is the receipt shows that VSP did cover the frames BUT when it comes to lenses I was confused.

I still paid 50 dollars when I got my receipt for Exam/RX COMPREHENS E/G EXAM and then they also charged me separate the 20 dollars for EXAM/RX RETINAL IMAGING. I got to my car and looked and was confused as heck. I was told OVER AND OVER that my copay was 15 dollars. Then the lenses I am not sure what they mean when VSP says 25 co-pay for lenses because I was charged 265 per lense and that was with free anti-glare and all I got was the transition thing and anti-scratch and I know VSP says out of pocket at most Anti-scratch should cost between 17-33 not sure all together or per lense but still seems super high. I mean 265 PER LENSE when I had next to nothing added to them except the transition and scratch resistance and the glare was free.

In conclusion all VSP covered was a total of 188 dollars which is almost what a year of paying for them cost. I mean hell I could have just not paid them the 150 yearly coverage and just paid the part they "covered". I mean hell The Third Party discount covered 269 dollars and I didn't even pay for whatever that was.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I had VSP insurance for over two years and paid monthly on it. The first year I never used anything. I then went one time to the Walmart vision Center and I had an exam and bifocals and put it on the insurance. I didn’t feel the value was worth the cost and went to cancel the insurance and was told that, no, I was locked down according to the contract for a full year. Stay away from this “insurance“!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

Beware of rebate tactics from their Rebate programs, not worth to buy the over priced promotions at their retails location or chains. They made you go thru long delays and ignore your efforts only to deny your rebate after long phone calls. They even claim you're submitting not enough when you did online, make you send in by mail and never explained or followed up with email till you have to call in and say you are not eligible. I never had a choice to choose a different provider since the Insurer ramps down my throat with VSP coverage, it would be another company if I could pick it myself. Not the first time I run into their way of determining my coverage benefits. If I can, I would give them NO star.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I called VSP to cancel my plan. Due to covid/not working this bill has become a hardship. My issue is that I feel I have called far enough in advance to cancel account to avoid another month's fee. I was told I will get a cancellation confirmation email in 3-5 days, BUT not officially canceled till a month from now. So which is it? Cant be both. I'm assuming that they just want one more fee out of me. I have paid for this service since 2018 and never have used it. I feel taken advantage of.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information