Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.39/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: July 20, 2020

VSP is so bad that the eye doctor that I go to are warning patience that there is a good chance that they will lose the order. Lost my expensive heavy duty frames, oh well is their response. The customer service people at my eye doctor regret that the eye doctor that I go to sold their in-house lab.

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you want to have vision insurance that covers mostly nothing, long wait times, with a cancellation policy that does not cancel when you request it, but when THEY tell you they will cancel it, then this is the "insurance" for you. I tried to cancel my policy immediately during the COVID-19 pandemic because my optometrist has been closed for months. They have to "review" why you want to cancel. They would not cancel my policy immediately, but instead, 2 months later, still charging me for premiums I CANNOT USE. They have no compassion whatsoever, and I will NEVER use their "services" again. Sickening.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 12, 2020

I wore progressive lenses before cataract surgery two years ago. The surgery improved my vision, but I need to wear reading glasses and prescription sunglasses for astigmatism. I decided to go back to progressive lenses for driving and reading, to cut down on pairs to keep up with. VSP makes me have to use their factory, and they take longer than the factory my doctor prefers. I paid $180 co-pay for new lenses.

When I received my new lenses, I could not see as well as I could without them. I was given a vision re-check and a new pair with a tweak was ordered. I picked up the remake during COVID-19 shutdown and could not get them checked in office. When I put them on, I knew that they were still wrong. I have been trying to wear them for about 3 days, can't see well, and they give me headaches. VSP only allows 1 remake, so I guess I am stuck with them. However, as I was explaining to my daughter what is wrong with them, I noticed 2 black ink marks on each lens. This makes me wonder if they were even remade, if I am still wearing the original wrong prescription lenses that were marked at the dispensary.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

This company has refused to pay for my last three pairs of glasses. They cost between $52 and $150 apiece. The claims are for out-of-network, but the price is extremely low. In-network, the best price I could get is over $500. VSP seems to be a campaign to funnel business to specific retailers and then over-charge because most people will not question the cost of the glasses. My Rx is zero adjustment for distance (had Lasik), but 1.75 for progressive readers. I am given an excuse and promises for follow-up each time, yet nothing ever happens. I am filing a complaint through my employer, which charges me premiums for their 'better' coverage.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

VSP Customer Service is extremely poor what would Founder: Bernhardt N. Thal say? VSP has provided the WORST vision service I've ever experienced 55min hold time with elevator music. Customer representative Shivonne is CS breathing heavy on the phone sounding like she hate their job, using words like yeah, dude, you got it so poor cs. VSP for making accessing a basic benefit such a atrocious process. Bad customer service #1. Putting customers on hold for too long. This is one of the most common examples of bad customer service calls. The prospect of being placed on hold for several minutes is enough to inspire a sense of dread in even the most upbeat caller. VSP Poor service can make a significant impact on a vision rates, causing would-be buyers to look elsewhere. In fact, bad customer service costs businesses a combined $62 billion each year.

Using negative language, lack of training. I encounter VSP agents saying they ‘don’t know’ how to help them & fail to inspire confidence are likely to feel disillusioned with VSP overall service. VSP Transferring me again and again Being bounced from one VSP agent to another and another is another of the most familiar examples of VSP bad customer service calls. VSP not only does this imply your VSP staff don’t know how to solve a problem, it suggests your entire VSP structure needs work too. VSP Asking me to repeat. They ACH your account when they want. VSP agent fails to empathize with their customers and is simply running through the script without any emotional engagement. I started to feel as if there’s no admission of responsibility or genuine apology. VSP Directing customers to the website extreme poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Today I received my CalPERS retirement check showing a VSP deduction. I am 15 years retired and did not enroll. Neither calpers nor vsp can help me remove and discontinue this coverage which I did not request. Shame on you vsp.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

They are the worst ever company when it comes to doing business online. It has been more than a month since I ordered my son's glasses from their online site eyeconic.com. Glasses have not even shipped and no one knows where are they or what is the order status. There is no sense of timing or urgency in this company. They sell glass against their own insurance and then won't ship them and will wait for one benefits to expire. It is a huge scam. If you really want to use your benefits stay away from eyeconic.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

VSP has provided the WORST vision service I've ever experienced. I've tried 3 times now to use my insurance to get basic prescription glasses. The customer service either is not available, or is not helpful. I had to call multiple numbers and then, I'm told my insurance # is not enough. I have to get an "authorization number". In addition, I have to be at the store where I'm purchasing my glasses (which I was when I tried calling the first few times) to get the authorization number. Unbelievable - good thing they don't offer health care and there's not an urgent need for service. It's almost as if they are making it so difficult that some people will give up and not apply for benefits. Shame on you VSP for making accessing a basic benefit such a painful process.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

TL;DR:

1. The provided lens quality (made by VSP's own lab) is extremely poor and *unusable*. I have a 70$ pair (frames + lenses) that is much better. I have two pairs worth 800$ from VSP that I just can't use.

2. Customer service is ignoring and tries to wear you out.

Poor quality lenses: So a few weeks ago I got two pairs of glasses through one of VSP providers. I added 30$ per pair, to improve the lenses to a superior type. Both pairs are unusable. There is a very bad reflection issue with the glasses. Every light in the room or the street is reflected on the lenses. Crossing the street at night using those glasses is a just a visual show of a million lights reflecting from everywhere. Same problem at day time. Lenses are just of a really poor quality. It is important to note, that the lenses are made by the VSP lab, and not the optometrist shop. I could have added 50$ per pair for anti-glare lenses, but I think that the basic quality of the provided lenses should be at least *usable*. For comparison, I have a 70$ pair (frame + lenses) from somewhere else, that does not have any reflection issue and is of a much better quality.

2. Customer service is ignoring: I contacted VSP through the website, and no one got back to me. A week later I called to see what is the status, and finally was transferred to someone who tried to dismiss me, and finally told me he will check with the optometrist. He tried to reach me a day later but I couldn't pick up the phone, and since then I cannot reach him, because when I call VSP they don't know what person it was.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The customer service is atrocious. I filed an out-of-network reimbursement claim almost three months ago and they still have nothing. They have requested I submit my information four times now and still no one gets back with me. Every time I try to follow up - it starts all over. A human spoke with me once and said they do not operate online, yet that is the ONLY way the seam to operate. No productivity, no customer service skill, no desire to be a decent human being. I do not, I repeat do not recomend this company for any reason. Do not waste your time or money with VSP.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information