1.45/5

104 VSP Vision Care Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

VSP provides full coverage of inflated hardware prices (400% more than what lenses actually cost and almost double what frames typically cost) at eye doctor shops. Meanwhile, "out of network" shops like Walmart, Costco, and LensCrafters charge a mere fraction of eye doctor prices, yet VSP will only reimburse a portion of their reasonable prices. Someone is making a killing in this market and the whole thing is owned by a company named Luxottica.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The only in-network provider for eyeglasses is a website eyeconic.com, which has limited availability of glasses. The frame I'm looking for is out-of-stock, I just called to know if they will restock, and they have no idea. Poor customer service. If I purchase my glasses from out-of-network providers, they only cover $50. Stay away from VSP!

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2019

VSP Vision has been charging me monthly on auto payment and refusing coverage for past 5 month. After conference calling with VSP supervisor and payment system and verification of payments still fraud is staying with VSP.

Original review: June 17, 2019

We have this so-called insurance through my husband's employer. There are no quality in-network providers in my area (I am NOT going to Walmart for my eye care!). I went to my usual doctor who happens to be the only other provider in town. The bill for the eye exam was $140. When I submitted the claim I received a check for $25. What a joke. Furthermore, this insurance is embedded in our healthcare plan and it is virtually impossible to find information needed to make an informed decision. I am disgusted by the whole thing. Now I can't afford to buy glasses or contacts, either. Run, don't walk, from doing business with this company. It's basically a scam.

Original review: April 11, 2019

VSP at least for some company plans does not issue non SSN based identification numbers. When I filed a VSP grievance I was told that my employers benefit department is who specified that. However I talked with benefits and they say VSP is the one who decides what to use member identification. Apparently VSP isn’t concerned about reducing customer data risks. I have used them for over 10 years. This will be my last year as what the plan costs annually versus the benefit is not worth the risk of their lack of concern. They also require that lenses be ground in their labs which adds up to 2 weeks from dr visit to get new glasses. I'm done with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: April 10, 2019

VSP individual vision plan provider is making it mandatory that new clients purchase HVA - Health Vision Association for an add'l $1.50 per month. It is an add on product to their vision plans. When I objected to being forced to buy this add on service - which is not wanted or needed and will not be used - they said the NC Dept of Insurance requires this add on. Calling Dept of Insurance phone # the gentleman could find no such record of this requirement. In my opinion, this practice of basically stealing $1.50 per month from clients should be looked into and stopped. They should be required to stop telling clients it is a state requirement. I filed complaint against VSP with NC Dept of Insurance.

Original review: April 4, 2019

What good does it do to cover yearly exams if the lenses and frames are only allowed every other year? I was horribly embarrassed when I went to the eye Dr only to be told that the exam was covered but the lenses weren't. I have advised Molina Medicare that they should find a different vision coverage provider. I am now stuck wearing 4-year-old glasses until after the first of the year.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Pay about $40 a month. They pay for 1 eye exam a year after co-pay. This amounts to about $100/year. They will pay nothing for special prescriptions (astigmatism, bifocal lenses, etc.) so my glasses cost me out of pocket over $500. They paid about $75. So, for $480 a year I received about $175 in benefits. They also do not pay for any followup visits so if you have eye issues, VSP pays $0. After figuring out the numbers I attempted to cancel the policy and they refused because it’s 6 months before my renewal date. Bottom line, I have to pay $240 for nothing. Stay away from VSP unless you want to give away your money. It’s actually cheaper to pay out of pocket.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Our clinic regularly needs to call VSP to speak with customer services. Sometimes a patient's plan doesn't have clear information listed on the website, sometimes there's an issue with a claim. No matter what the issue is, the automated system hangs up on us whenever we try to reach a representative. This means poor patient service on our part because we're unable to verify what's happening. It also means poor customer service from VSP because patients are required to contact VSP directly and often do not have the exact lingo to fix whatever the issue is. It's incredibly frustrating that the company has adopted this new structure.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I keep getting disconnected when trying to update my credit card, third time I finally got a lady but she wouldn't do it. Even though she had me pulled up. She said, "It's not my department." A. You have me pulled up. It's not rocket to delete a card number and enter a new card number. If I go online to their website you're unable to change cards there too. Typical call center mentality. Worst customer service ever.

VSP Vision Care expert review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

• Best for: VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information