3.3/5 (552 ratings)

About VSP Vision Care

VSP Vision Care Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: May 10, 2022

Kind of shocked at so many terrible reviews. VSP was incredibly affordable and available to me when my contract with my employer ended. I pay $15 a month and have saved hundreds of dollars I would have spent otherwise without it. For a six month pair of contact lenses, VSP covered me completely for both eyes and they were $75 each. Some people don't have that type of money lying around so I'm really blessed to have them.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Website account set up took me a month to set up, ultimately, I ended up making my first call to VSP to assist, after a few holds and transfers, my information was finally entered and set up. The product is more like a discount to retailers they do business with, I would give them 10 percent off at best, they do not cover much of the cost on the marked-up frames, lenses, and testing, you'll be better off saving up your premiums and using discounts in place, you'll come out paying less.

If you are looking to cancel, forget about it, locked in for 12 months, while customer service tells you the policy has been canceled, do not believe it, it'll remain active as they continue debiting your bank account, customer service will be of no assistance during an instance such as this advising you to appeal the decision, whatever it means, the only way to get out from under them is to lock them out of your account, unethical practices, stay far away.

Get buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I have had VSP from various employers in past. The benefits have certainly decreased yearly and substantially over past decade. I recognize that differences between programs and employers exist, but the benefits, paired with the inexplicable link through Lincoln Financial, are obnoxious and likely incomprehensible to those aware of forms and contracts and, utterly incomprehensible to anyone who does not have a basic understanding. All I need is simple account reference # and details. The benefits versus time required to register and research info is so convoluted I'll probably stick with Costco and CareCredit which are exponentially more easy to navigate and thus, cost less in terms of time expended...period. I will certainly not renew through my employer (of which I am a manager) next year.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I have had VSP for 2 years. I have bought a new pair of glasses both years. I got all the best newest options available. One pair was $1,100 and the second $1,400..I paid $267 & $518. VSP paid 2/3 of the cost. My payment of $12.77 a month is peanuts for that kind of coverage. I'm blown away by the amount of 1 and 2 star reviews, I don't understand them.

Original review: March 18, 2022

BEWARE!!! I obtained VSP coverage on February 1, 2020 since my employer at the time did not offer a vision plan. I used the plan once in March of 2020, and then not again until late February 2022. My new employer has a great plan so I no longer need the VSP plan. Unfortunately, since I used the plan in February, I have to pay for the remainder of the year (until February 1, 2023), even though I didn't use the plan at all for the 2021 plan year. Had I known that, I would have waited the extra month until my new employer plan kicked in. If you have a choice, I highly recommend using a different vision plan.

Original review: March 18, 2022

If I could give them negative stars I would.. My husband got a new job and my old insurance with Principal was transferred to VSP. They messed up our effective date TWICE, yes I have received 2 different insurance cards with 2 different effective dates. One said my insurance was effective 2/1/22 and then when I went to an appointment my insurance effective date magically changed to 3/1/22. A week later I got a card with a different date. I had to reschedule mine and my children's appointments twice (months later) which is not easy to do. Today I called to get new contacts with my eye doctor and NOW they are telling me I don't have coverage till APRIL 1st... WHAT THE HELL... They are telling me that they took info from my old insurance so they won't cover new contacts for another month. Why would my old insurance have anything to do with this new insurance. (My scheduled appointments certainly weren't covered because its NEW INSURANCE effective date.

The lady kept repeating herself and was completely unhelpful. This should be illegal. I had to wait for coverage since it was a "new policy" however they wanted to cover my contacts per my old policy... How is that fair??? Terribly unorganized, and ignorant staff and company in general. If you want to treat your employees well DO NOT USE VSP for any Vision Insurance services.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I cancelled my VSP care in November for Jan. 1 2022 because I told them I had employer group coverage on Jan 1. 2021. They said ok. I had charges for January taken out in December and I called and complained and wanted money back. They said it's up to HARRINGTON some other billing company. That's terrible. No relation and long 40 min wait for 2 weeks almost every other day. Disconnected each time except in January around 3rd. They said it was taken care of but I was still active individual plan till May. I said that's wrong. My employer covers with VSP and I'm paying that too. No response back, no courtesy call, terrible. Plan coverage was ok. But billing is horrible and no one at Harrington ever called me. Filing complaint with NJ Div of Insurance next.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

First off, know that they will lock you into a 12-month plan so plan ahead. Website makes it difficult to cancel auto-renew because the cancellation option disappears based on payments, and customer service will do everything in their power to make sure your money doesn't leave VSP vs helping find a solution. Also filing insurance claims is a pain with VSP. Definitely recommend checking out any other option.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I submitted a claim for reimbursement of contact lenses and only received partial reimbursement. After 25 minutes on hold to understand what happened, the representative said "it's implied that the benefits on the site are only in network, and you have to call for out of network benefits." Typical deceptive American insurance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I had cancelled the policy and the representative told me I would receive a refund. I did not receive the refund called customer service and the lady told me the refund was processed back in October and I should have received it on November 13th. I explained to her I did not receive the refund. She told me I need to check with my bank. I did check with the bank and still have not received the refund. She said she would call accounting and ask why I haven’t received it on my end. I called last week and today and I still have not received it or a call back from the representative.

VSP Vision Care author review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information