Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

VSP Vision Care Reviews

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

This company has refused to pay for my last three pairs of glasses. They cost between $52 and $150 apiece. The claims are for out-of-network, but the price is extremely low. In-network, the best price I could get is over $500. VSP seems to be a campaign to funnel business to specific retailers and then over-charge because most people will not question the cost of the glasses. My Rx is zero adjustment for distance (had Lasik), but 1.75 for progressive readers. I am given an excuse and promises for follow-up each time, yet nothing ever happens. I am filing a complaint through my employer, which charges me premiums for their 'better' coverage.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

VSP Customer Service is extremely poor what would Founder: Bernhardt N. Thal say? VSP has provided the WORST vision service I've ever experienced 55min hold time with elevator music. Customer representative Shivonne is CS breathing heavy on the phone sounding like she hate their job, using words like yeah, dude, you got it so poor cs. VSP for making accessing a basic benefit such a atrocious process. Bad customer service #1. Putting customers on hold for too long. This is one of the most common examples of bad customer service calls. The prospect of being placed on hold for several minutes is enough to inspire a sense of dread in even the most upbeat caller. VSP Poor service can make a significant impact on a vision rates, causing would-be buyers to look elsewhere. In fact, bad customer service costs businesses a combined $62 billion each year.

Using negative language, lack of training. I encounter VSP agents saying they ‘don’t know’ how to help them & fail to inspire confidence are likely to feel disillusioned with VSP overall service. VSP Transferring me again and again Being bounced from one VSP agent to another and another is another of the most familiar examples of VSP bad customer service calls. VSP not only does this imply your VSP staff don’t know how to solve a problem, it suggests your entire VSP structure needs work too. VSP Asking me to repeat. They ACH your account when they want. VSP agent fails to empathize with their customers and is simply running through the script without any emotional engagement. I started to feel as if there’s no admission of responsibility or genuine apology. VSP Directing customers to the website extreme poor customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Today I received my CalPERS retirement check showing a VSP deduction. I am 15 years retired and did not enroll. Neither calpers nor vsp can help me remove and discontinue this coverage which I did not request. Shame on you vsp.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

They are the worst ever company when it comes to doing business online. It has been more than a month since I ordered my son's glasses from their online site eyeconic.com. Glasses have not even shipped and no one knows where are they or what is the order status. There is no sense of timing or urgency in this company. They sell glass against their own insurance and then won't ship them and will wait for one benefits to expire. It is a huge scam. If you really want to use your benefits stay away from eyeconic.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

VSP has provided the WORST vision service I've ever experienced. I've tried 3 times now to use my insurance to get basic prescription glasses. The customer service either is not available, or is not helpful. I had to call multiple numbers and then, I'm told my insurance # is not enough. I have to get an "authorization number". In addition, I have to be at the store where I'm purchasing my glasses (which I was when I tried calling the first few times) to get the authorization number. Unbelievable - good thing they don't offer health care and there's not an urgent need for service. It's almost as if they are making it so difficult that some people will give up and not apply for benefits. Shame on you VSP for making accessing a basic benefit such a painful process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

TL;DR:

1. The provided lens quality (made by VSP's own lab) is extremely poor and *unusable*. I have a 70$ pair (frames + lenses) that is much better. I have two pairs worth 800$ from VSP that I just can't use.

2. Customer service is ignoring and tries to wear you out.

Poor quality lenses: So a few weeks ago I got two pairs of glasses through one of VSP providers. I added 30$ per pair, to improve the lenses to a superior type. Both pairs are unusable. There is a very bad reflection issue with the glasses. Every light in the room or the street is reflected on the lenses. Crossing the street at night using those glasses is a just a visual show of a million lights reflecting from everywhere. Same problem at day time. Lenses are just of a really poor quality. It is important to note, that the lenses are made by the VSP lab, and not the optometrist shop. I could have added 50$ per pair for anti-glare lenses, but I think that the basic quality of the provided lenses should be at least *usable*. For comparison, I have a 70$ pair (frame + lenses) from somewhere else, that does not have any reflection issue and is of a much better quality.

2. Customer service is ignoring: I contacted VSP through the website, and no one got back to me. A week later I called to see what is the status, and finally was transferred to someone who tried to dismiss me, and finally told me he will check with the optometrist. He tried to reach me a day later but I couldn't pick up the phone, and since then I cannot reach him, because when I call VSP they don't know what person it was.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

The customer service is atrocious. I filed an out-of-network reimbursement claim almost three months ago and they still have nothing. They have requested I submit my information four times now and still no one gets back with me. Every time I try to follow up - it starts all over. A human spoke with me once and said they do not operate online, yet that is the ONLY way the seam to operate. No productivity, no customer service skill, no desire to be a decent human being. I do not, I repeat do not recomend this company for any reason. Do not waste your time or money with VSP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Contact lenses never shipped. I was given a tracking number, but the boxes never made it to the carrier. When I called them a week later, customer service could not help. Disorganized and their customer service department is not empowered to actually help customers. I will go out of network next time. Strong recommend avoiding them if possible.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Glasses are much cheaper with a better warranty when buying online. Zenni was my choice and not disappointed a year later. What you pay out of pocket is less expensive if not equal to your monthly payments to VSP plus out of pocket when buying glasses. VSP providers offer discontinued frames and often frames that fail in a short time. Allegheny Optical is one and will not adjust warranty period, work with you to correct. VSP's answer is "You get what you pay for". Say what!! Don't buy this insurance as it will cost you more in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

This is nothing more than a discount card. You are better off saving your monthly payment and going to Warby Parker when you need glasses than going to one of their "in network" as all you get is a "discount". By the time you add what you have been paying monthly to the amount you have to pay anyhow if you want to get something decent, you are paying more using this "service" for cheap glasses. Useless.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

VSP Vision Care expert review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

• Best for: VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information