1.48/5
Based on 93 reviews that contain star ratings
Are you this business? Claim your page

97 VSP Vision Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

Pay about $40 a month. They pay for 1 eye exam a year after co-pay. This amounts to about $100/year. They will pay nothing for special prescriptions (astigmatism, bifocal lenses, etc.) so my glasses cost me out of pocket over $500. They paid about $75. So, for $480 a year I received about $175 in benefits. They also do not pay for any followup visits so if you have eye issues, VSP pays $0. After figuring out the numbers I attempted to cancel the policy and they refused because it’s 6 months before my renewal date. Bottom line, I have to pay $240 for nothing. Stay away from VSP unless you want to give away your money. It’s actually cheaper to pay out of pocket.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Our clinic regularly needs to call VSP to speak with customer services. Sometimes a patient's plan doesn't have clear information listed on the website, sometimes there's an issue with a claim. No matter what the issue is, the automated system hangs up on us whenever we try to reach a representative. This means poor patient service on our part because we're unable to verify what's happening. It also means poor customer service from VSP because patients are required to contact VSP directly and often do not have the exact lingo to fix whatever the issue is. It's incredibly frustrating that the company has adopted this new structure.

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I keep getting disconnected when trying to update my credit card, third time I finally got a lady but she wouldn't do it. Even though she had me pulled up. She said, "It's not my department." A. You have me pulled up. It's not rocket to delete a card number and enter a new card number. If I go online to their website you're unable to change cards there too. Typical call center mentality. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have spent almost three hours on hold over three days to simply change my credit card number. I need to update my auto-pay. I have yet to get a representative in the billing department. Writing them has done no good. I also cannot (and never could) log into the account with my log in information. I tried to re-register and could not do that either. As soon as I can, I will cancel VSP. It is a waste of money and a terrible company with which to try to do business.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Have had VSP through retirement plan at a fairly exorbitant $15.70 per month. Got glasses at Costco. They were initially unable to verify that I had coverage. Optician was not busy, worked with me for ONE HOUR going through their phone trees to verify that I have coverage, but could get nothing else out of their phone tree. Optician recommended that I try Google to get their main number.

After a great deal of entering and re-entering my phone number and SSN, was finally transferred to a client service representative who verified that I had coverage, but Costco was out of network. I would have to fill out a claim form for reimbursement. She agreed to mail me a claim form in five to seven business days. I have no idea what I will get, but am eligible for one pair of lenses and frames, and the total cost at Costco is less than I pay in a year for this fraudulent phony insurance scam. Their system is designed to efficiently collect monthly payments, make it difficult to cancel, make it extremely difficult to contact them, and make it nearly impossible to collect a claim. Save yourself the grief and avoid any dealings with VSP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have had VSP for a few months now, they paid a portion of my doctor visit which was not worth it to me but then I needed to buy contact lenses. I called VSP first to ask how it works if I go to someone other than my Dr. or their own service. They told me I have $105 to use outside their service. I would need to submit my receipt and a check would be processed.

I found a website and used a coupon which brought the order under $120, I was trying to save money for the company (dumb right). Well I received my check yesterday and they only $89.90, $17.94 less than the bill submitted because they don't pay for shipping or any type of processing. So, why did I go out of my way to find my contacts at a cheaper store and use a coupon just so that I would still be stuck paying out of pocket? I would not go into another year contract with VSP, they should have been upfront with me and told me the truth, now I am dissatisfied with the company and would not use them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

One star is way too high a score for VSP so-called vision insurance but this system leaves me no other choice... Based on our plan I am supposed to be able to get new prescription lenses annually with a $25 co-pay. However, it turned out they would only cover $2 of my prescription lenses IF I add an extra $25 to my out-of-pocket bill for their "co-pay". Otherwise, if I don’t add to the bill (10x their "coverage"), they won't participate at all. In other words, it's cheaper to pay out of pocket than to get their $2 annual "coverage". I should mention, this took well over an hour on the phone with three different reps to verify such absurdity. Don’t walk, RUN! But more importantly, save your money and your time.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

The plan we are paying out of pocket for has less coverage than the rider vision plan we are getting with our medical insurance. Coverage and prices are not worth the private pay. My overall experience with the company has been ok, but not satisfied with their rates.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am a relatively new member to VSP. Immediately after enrollment, I received a "welcome" email along with various documents and benefits information specific to the plan I purchased. I reviewed the information sent by email and found it to be correct, then as instructed, visited VSP.com to set up my online account. Once online, I clicked on the link to see my benefits information. I was shocked to realize that my online account was showing a completely different plan than the one I signed up for, which was the "Easy Options" plan. The plan that was attached to my account was not only incorrect but had greatly reduced benefits to my plan!

I immediately called customer service, and an agent confirmed that my account was not showing the correct plan. She transferred me to Angel ** in the billing department, and he confirmed that I should have the "Easy Options" plan, and that was in fact what I was PAYING for. After over an hour of conversation, hold time and him communicating with his supervisor, Michelle, he informed me that they have never experienced a problem like mine and they did not know exactly how it happened or how to fix it! What???

He went on to say that the billing department has the correct information, but the eligibility department does not - and somehow they will need to get "operations" involved and hopefully can get it fixed. But really did not sound hopeful at all, nor did he instill any confidence in me that my problem will be resolved. In fact, there was no plan set forth for a resolution other than he suggested I call back in a week or so to see if they were able to fix it. UNACCEPTABLE! How can this company get away with selling (and charging for) a "premium" plan but delivering a "budget, bare-bones, limited benefits" plan? At this moment, my only impression of VSP is one of a very disorganized and unprofessional company!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Don't get fooled. Opt for other insurance. This insurance provider is just sucker for money. I had order frames and prescription lenses out of network. They didn't reimburse me for prescription lenses. The out of network limit is very less and in network you would not find good frames or lenses.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I received my glasses and when I tried them on, the left eye was incredibly blurry. It was much more blurry than without the glasses on. I called Eyeconic and spoke to the rep explaining that my right eye was OK but my left was worse with the lenses and he told me that I would have to visit my optometrist to check the glasses or get a new prescription. I could then ship them back for a "redo". I pressed him to review the prescription that the glasses were made with (there is no confirmation of the values in the box or emails) and we figured out that the left eye was entered as +0.75 instead of -0.75.

He assuringly said I uploaded it as +0.75 and said over and over again he couldn’t see any minus in front of that value. I couldn't believe it -- I was looking at the same PDF as I uploaded and it says -0.75 in the same size font as the right eye which is the same value. He said regardless, there's nothing he can do. I'd have to print out a new prescription and mail the glasses back to have a redo done.

I asked to speak to someone else and another guy on the phone, taking tips from CSI, confirmed that “by using another software” he could see the minus mark. It seems that Eyeconic’s system downsampled the images uploaded and it didn’t show the minus in the smaller preview. That, or someone fat-fingered the prescription. In any case, this shows you a problem with Eyeconic’s system. You have to upload a copy of your prescription but nowhere does it allow you to enter the values yourself or confirm that whoever is entering the values on your behalf is doing it correctly. Getting these values right is literally Eyeconic’s business -- you should be experts in taking prescriptions online and ensuring they are correct.

I had to send my glasses back -- which is a trip to the UPS store I didn’t want to make and made me print a return label on a printer I didn’t have. I received an email thanking me for sending in my redo reminding me “Please note, you are only allotted one exchange or refund per order”. Within about 2 or so weeks, I should get my finally get some usable glasses.

This experience has been garbage. None of this was my fault. I uploaded a clear prescription, it's perfectly legible, it has my optometrist's name and number they could have contacted if they had questions. It doesn’t make sense that this uses my one “redo” when it was Eyeconic’s fault for entering the prescription. It was a hassle to return and the process takes too long. If you order from Eyeconic, do yourself a favor and follow it up with a phone call before they ship to confirm the prescription was entered correctly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The optometrist we formerly used suddenly ceased doing business and we were unable to obtain records and benefits. Calling VSP they answered promptly, did what was required and one could not imagine how easy the process was made. Thank you VSP - wish there were more such efficiently run business operations.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My wife called the number on our vision card from Guardian which has the VSP logo on it. She spoke with someone and told them she wanted to go to a certain eye doctor that was recommended to her. That doctor was out of network but the person at Guardian/VSP said they cover basic eye exams even if out of network. So my wife went to this eye doctor for the exam, then took prescription to an in-network provider to get glasses. Well we got the bill, submitted it to VSP and got denied. Call them and they have no record of telling her it was fine and won't pay it. Useless insurance if they won't even pay for a basic eye exam. Really sucks to pay the monthly premium and then get stuck with a bill for a routine eye exam. Don't trust their word or you'll end up paying.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I enrolled in VSP in 2017. In 2017 my wife and I both had exams and ordered contacts. The plan states that I can get contacts every other calendar year and glasses every other calendar year. Which I understood to mean contacts one year, glasses the next. Nope. I tried to get glasses in 2018 and was told I wasn't eligible for contacts or glasses until Jan 1 2019. So, basically I am giving them an entire year of premiums (2018), with no benefit whatsoever. Why does anyone sign up to pay annual premiums for a benefit that is only usable every other year? I could and should have declined the coverage after the first year.

My 2nd complaint is that they do not honor the terms of their own out of network reimbursement policies. We used a Costco optometrist which they said was out of network (despite what you may read on the internet about how Costco takes VSP, this applies to the optical dept not the Dr). The exams were $84 each and they should have reimbursed $45 each according to their own policy. They paid $32 for one exam and nothing for the other. Yes, the same exam, the same day, with the same doctor, paid $32 for one and denied the other stating "Your plan does not provide coverage for additional service with the same benefit. Period". The coverage was for "Employee and Spouse", and they denied my spouse's very first claim calling it "additional service with the same benefit. Period."

Original review: July 10, 2018

I used their vision for an eye exam, and without any knowledge doctor gave me like 5 pairs of "sample" contact lens to try out, and I tried and did not like the feeling. Couple months when I try to get regular glasses, VSP said I already picked a contact lens solution and say I'm not eligible for a pair of regular glasses, and not eligible for glasses frame for TWO YEARS. Also, supposedly any overseas glasses purchase is covered by the plan just like domestic, and that online claim is supported. When go to the online claim form, they limit all the address to be US address. They will make your life a lot more difficult to save a few bucks. WILL NEVER EVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: June 20, 2018

VSP is abominable; it's cheaper to just pay out of pocket for exams and glasses than pay their premium, because they will refuse to pay the provider when you go to use your insurance. I went to a provider for an exam for glasses and also for contacts -- I had used contacts for years but developed issues with them so had been wearing glasses for about 4 years when a friend suggested a new optician for contacts. So I tried the new provider, to see if HE could find a way to fit me again for contacts. He tried very hard but nothing worked, so I decided to stay with glasses.

Here's where the VSP nightmare began: they told my provider I was now OBLIGATED TO GET CONTACT LENSES EVEN THOUGH WE HAD DECIDED THEY WOULD NOT WORK! VSP refused to unlock my account to allow me to get glasses and have VSP pay the part of the cost they state they will pay. By now I had gone to my old optician to get glasses. My old provider is working with me now to fix VSP's hostage-taking of my account. Meantime I've been forced to pay back the provider for my full exam -- in other words, VSP is refusing to pay for my exam, even though their coverage states it covers exams. I have paid out of pocket for the full exam cost, hoping they will unlock my account and now pay for glasses. BEWARE VSP. They are evil.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I joined VSP September 16, 2017. Yearly program 26.45 / Month. Had to pay 52.90 first month. Been paying 26.45/ month ever since. The cost of my insurance is more than the cost of glasses, and I was advised by them that I was allowed only one pair per year. I have tried, for the past two weeks to view my account online, with no success. They agree with my ID over the phone (since I have been totally unable to log in on the web). I have called several times with agreement to my ID number, but have been hung up by their reps.

My account name and password, which have been stored in a password vault, are of no use. Tried to login with my account ID, but they say that the last 4 digits of my social are incorrect? Finally got to a woman who said she would set up a way for me to login in and change my login information. She promised to email me the information. No email from anyone in VSP. I'm concerned about my ability to stop the annual in September. Need help because I'm not even able to contact them. I would suggest that anyone joining, attempt a login to their account immediately.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I went to out of network provider because glasses broke. Was told to call for out of network waiver. Got approved. Sent in for reimbursement. Got sent a check but it was for out of network. Got reimbursed for 170 out of 590.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered through my insurance through Eyeconic and VSP. I received Air Optix. I spoke to a rep over the phone regarding the colors, his advice was to check both boxes for color problems. They both had no color. I send them back, only to be told they can exchange but for clear contacts, no refund. First of all Air Optix suck. Why would I want to reorder them? I'll never order through them again. If using insurance, stay local or try another company. Air Optix isn't the colors for you if you have dark Eyes, they should really state that on their box. Scammers!

Original review: April 10, 2018

What a mess this has been. We cancelled our VSP plan in December for the upcoming year, however the person that took our cancellation did not complete it correctly, so we continued to be charged for January and February until we caught it. We then called, and were told that the person completed the request incorrectly, and that we would be issued a refund within 7 business days. We waited for 3 weeks, nothing appeared. We called back and were told that the finance department read the request wrong and never issued the refund, and that we would need to wait 7 more business days.

So again, we waited two weeks, and no refund. We called again, and were told the EXACT same story, that the finance department misunderstood the request, and did not issue the refund. We will now need to wait 7 more business days for the refund. At this point, it's been 6 weeks since we were promised a refund. I do not know when we will get it, but it seems impossible. When we called we were promised that it was completed, but obviously we were lied to. How can you get something wrong so many times?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I signed up for VSP insurance which was $12.61 monthly. I found out I already had vision insurance. I called VSP to cancel and was told I had to pay for an entire year before stopping my membership. I find this wrong and I feel I am being robbed!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Eye exam on Feb 17th, glasses picked and ordered. Sent back two weeks later scratched from the lab. Sent back with a two day turnaround. Did anyone see my glasses? This is March 15th, I haven't and neither has MyEyeDr., where I purchased them. No response from the VSP labs, nothing. Buy a Humana eye plan, my wife has it and they are fantastic. VSP, Very ** Product! I vote with my bucks.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I hear a bunch of people complaining about their year-long commitment and although it sounds unfair, it kind of makes sense. People are thinking this is like health care and it's not, they might not agree with it but you do have to be locked in for a year. It probably says it in the contract anyway. Being forced to auto-renew on the other hand, is pretty unreasonable though. Just my two cents. I'm writing about a totally different experience. My year was up in January. I emailed them a month before asking to cancel. They said, "You gotta email us later." I said okay...

I emailed them later. They said, "You are canceled." For the next MONTH OR TWO I am getting emails from them saying: 1) My payment is coming up and 2) My card is declined because they were charging an old card of mine. Thinking that I owed one more payment, I sent them a pre-validated check for $24 from Chase Bill Pay. Meaning the money is out of my account and it can't get back. Two weeks later they mail the check back to me. I call them and ask them why they did that? Turns out I never owed them money, they never took the reminders off and kept trying to ask me for money.

Well what about this check? I said... "I can't get it back from my bank... If I stop payment on it, it costs me $25. Can I send it to you and you can send me a check back?" (CS - "No... we can't do that..."). Well what am I suppose to do? "WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED US ABOUT IT." Basically it's MY FAULT that I sent money to a Vision insurance company because I was told that I owe them... and that I didn't check them for their mistakes. Luckily it's only $24 but that is not how you try to solve a problem. Blaming someone because your own billing practices forced them to send you a check...

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

VSP and Eyeconic are terrible partners. Benefits are dramatically oversold and the partner Eyeconic website is simply one big scam. Price double the normal, and ridiculously poor service. I would advise dropping VSP - it simply is not worth the money, and check the fine print on the benefits is you are still interested.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company has a ONE YEAR cancellation policy. You heard that correctly. ONE YEAR. I purchased a family plan in August of 2016 and was automatically renewed in 2017. I made the mistake of using benefits at the beginning of the year (in Aug. 2017). In December of 2017, I got a new job that offered vision insurance (through VSP of all places). When I called VSP they would not cancel my policy because I had used the plan. I am now stuck paying $75 a month for the next 10 months while having double coverage. I spent an hour on the phone and there was no resolution. You're better off just paying cash with a credit card-- all VSP is a lay-away plan anyway.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I've had the VSP High Option through my employer for 3 years. Finally went for an eye exam from an out of network eye doctor. Got my glasses at Walmart Optical. The folks at Walmart were literally excited to find out I had the coverage I did because my glasses would be $10 irrespective of what I choose. Naturally I went with nice frames with the best lenses for my progressive bifocals with transitions lenses. Then I called VSP customer service to see if they would pay for out of network exams. The representative asked for the phone number of my doctor, put me on hold for about two minutes, called the doctor and had them send the bill directly to them. A complete WOW experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

VSP coverage states what the co-pay is for most 'benefits', however they don't actually cover anything useful in those benefits. Meaning that for most cases you end up paying more than just going without insurance. For example: Contact Lens Exam coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $0 co-pay, with $140 towards the cost of contact lenses themselves, but then in small print "Your contact lens exam is not covered. You'll need to pay the provider directly." If I have to pay the provider out of pocket for the contact lens exam, then why say that I have a $0 co-pay for a contact lens exam.

Prescription Lens coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $10 co-pay, however immediately below that is a price list for each lens (e.g. UV protection, scratch resistant protection, etc.) with a note that "you should expect to pay no more than the following costs..." With all the costs for lens types being more than what they are without insurance (from personal experience of having had to buy glasses without insurance). Worthless insurance - if your employer offers this, don't make the same mistake as I did.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

VSP's benefits (even on the highest tier) does not provide any discounts as with previous vision insurance (UHC) for glasses. Very little $$ is taken off from prescription glasses. Also doesn't help that the doctors in their network charge close to thousands for prescription glasses. One doctor I went to even tried to get my medical insurance information so he can avoid using VSP. Very shady practices from the doctors they are in business with.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I used to like VSP and always brought them business but not after today... Today that wonderfully fruitful business relationship comes to an end. I will never use them again. I tried to cancel my membership today and I was told I'm "locked in for a year"... The end of the year is in 9 months. They had me set up a MANDATORY monthly auto withdrawal. I explained to them that I've had a serious change in circumstances and am facing a hardship (I lost my job and am currently unemployed)... They didn't care, the rep stated their policy still stands.

What a load of **! This company cares solely about the dollar and most certainly not about the members! I don't do business with shady companies like that. Never again. This is the most asinine, ** policy and it only pisses people off. VSP will end up losing so much business over it. I'm young and if I were happy with VSP (had this situation not happened) I would have canceled and come back as soon as my employment was resumed with a new company. They would have made so many thousands of dollars from me, over my lifetime, to add to their (already hefty) bankroll. But, alas, another ** company bites the dust. Good riddance. On to their competitors I go, with the long list of other dissatisfied ex-members in this complaints log. Extremely Disappointed Soon-To-Be-Ex-Member.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Trying to cancel before your year ending date is impossible. The coverage is poor and the cost is too high. I have not used the insurance for two years and when I tried to cancel was told I would have to wait until September. This company in a sham and should be investigated for its poor service.

VSP Vision Care expert review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

• Best for: VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information