1.53/5
Based on 83 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

87 VSP Vision Care Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I received my glasses and when I tried them on, the left eye was incredibly blurry. It was much more blurry than without the glasses on. I called Eyeconic and spoke to the rep explaining that my right eye was OK but my left was worse with the lenses and he told me that I would have to visit my optometrist to check the glasses or get a new prescription. I could then ship them back for a "redo". I pressed him to review the prescription that the glasses were made with (there is no confirmation of the values in the box or emails) and we figured out that the left eye was entered as +0.75 instead of -0.75.

He assuringly said I uploaded it as +0.75 and said over and over again he couldn’t see any minus in front of that value. I couldn't believe it -- I was looking at the same PDF as I uploaded and it says -0.75 in the same size font as the right eye which is the same value. He said regardless, there's nothing he can do. I'd have to print out a new prescription and mail the glasses back to have a redo done.

I asked to speak to someone else and another guy on the phone, taking tips from CSI, confirmed that “by using another software” he could see the minus mark. It seems that Eyeconic’s system downsampled the images uploaded and it didn’t show the minus in the smaller preview. That, or someone fat-fingered the prescription. In any case, this shows you a problem with Eyeconic’s system. You have to upload a copy of your prescription but nowhere does it allow you to enter the values yourself or confirm that whoever is entering the values on your behalf is doing it correctly. Getting these values right is literally Eyeconic’s business -- you should be experts in taking prescriptions online and ensuring they are correct.

I had to send my glasses back -- which is a trip to the UPS store I didn’t want to make and made me print a return label on a printer I didn’t have. I received an email thanking me for sending in my redo reminding me “Please note, you are only allotted one exchange or refund per order”. Within about 2 or so weeks, I should get my finally get some usable glasses.

This experience has been garbage. None of this was my fault. I uploaded a clear prescription, it's perfectly legible, it has my optometrist's name and number they could have contacted if they had questions. It doesn’t make sense that this uses my one “redo” when it was Eyeconic’s fault for entering the prescription. It was a hassle to return and the process takes too long. If you order from Eyeconic, do yourself a favor and follow it up with a phone call before they ship to confirm the prescription was entered correctly.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The optometrist we formerly used suddenly ceased doing business and we were unable to obtain records and benefits. Calling VSP they answered promptly, did what was required and one could not imagine how easy the process was made. Thank you VSP - wish there were more such efficiently run business operations.

Get expert buying tips about Vision Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My wife called the number on our vision card from Guardian which has the VSP logo on it. She spoke with someone and told them she wanted to go to a certain eye doctor that was recommended to her. That doctor was out of network but the person at Guardian/VSP said they cover basic eye exams even if out of network. So my wife went to this eye doctor for the exam, then took prescription to an in-network provider to get glasses. Well we got the bill, submitted it to VSP and got denied. Call them and they have no record of telling her it was fine and won't pay it. Useless insurance if they won't even pay for a basic eye exam. Really sucks to pay the monthly premium and then get stuck with a bill for a routine eye exam. Don't trust their word or you'll end up paying.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I enrolled in VSP in 2017. In 2017 my wife and I both had exams and ordered contacts. The plan states that I can get contacts every other calendar year and glasses every other calendar year. Which I understood to mean contacts one year, glasses the next. Nope. I tried to get glasses in 2018 and was told I wasn't eligible for contacts or glasses until Jan 1 2019. So, basically I am giving them an entire year of premiums (2018), with no benefit whatsoever. Why does anyone sign up to pay annual premiums for a benefit that is only usable every other year? I could and should have declined the coverage after the first year.

My 2nd complaint is that they do not honor the terms of their own out of network reimbursement policies. We used a Costco optometrist which they said was out of network (despite what you may read on the internet about how Costco takes VSP, this applies to the optical dept not the Dr). The exams were $84 each and they should have reimbursed $45 each according to their own policy. They paid $32 for one exam and nothing for the other. Yes, the same exam, the same day, with the same doctor, paid $32 for one and denied the other stating "Your plan does not provide coverage for additional service with the same benefit. Period". The coverage was for "Employee and Spouse", and they denied my spouse's very first claim calling it "additional service with the same benefit. Period."

Original review: July 10, 2018

I used their vision for an eye exam, and without any knowledge doctor gave me like 5 pairs of "sample" contact lens to try out, and I tried and did not like the feeling. Couple months when I try to get regular glasses, VSP said I already picked a contact lens solution and say I'm not eligible for a pair of regular glasses, and not eligible for glasses frame for TWO YEARS. Also, supposedly any overseas glasses purchase is covered by the plan just like domestic, and that online claim is supported. When go to the online claim form, they limit all the address to be US address. They will make your life a lot more difficult to save a few bucks. WILL NEVER EVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VSP Vision Care?

Original review: June 20, 2018

VSP is abominable; it's cheaper to just pay out of pocket for exams and glasses than pay their premium, because they will refuse to pay the provider when you go to use your insurance. I went to a provider for an exam for glasses and also for contacts -- I had used contacts for years but developed issues with them so had been wearing glasses for about 4 years when a friend suggested a new optician for contacts. So I tried the new provider, to see if HE could find a way to fit me again for contacts. He tried very hard but nothing worked, so I decided to stay with glasses.

Here's where the VSP nightmare began: they told my provider I was now OBLIGATED TO GET CONTACT LENSES EVEN THOUGH WE HAD DECIDED THEY WOULD NOT WORK! VSP refused to unlock my account to allow me to get glasses and have VSP pay the part of the cost they state they will pay. By now I had gone to my old optician to get glasses. My old provider is working with me now to fix VSP's hostage-taking of my account. Meantime I've been forced to pay back the provider for my full exam -- in other words, VSP is refusing to pay for my exam, even though their coverage states it covers exams. I have paid out of pocket for the full exam cost, hoping they will unlock my account and now pay for glasses. BEWARE VSP. They are evil.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I joined VSP September 16, 2017. Yearly program 26.45 / Month. Had to pay 52.90 first month. Been paying 26.45/ month ever since. The cost of my insurance is more than the cost of glasses, and I was advised by them that I was allowed only one pair per year. I have tried, for the past two weeks to view my account online, with no success. They agree with my ID over the phone (since I have been totally unable to log in on the web). I have called several times with agreement to my ID number, but have been hung up by their reps.

My account name and password, which have been stored in a password vault, are of no use. Tried to login with my account ID, but they say that the last 4 digits of my social are incorrect? Finally got to a woman who said she would set up a way for me to login in and change my login information. She promised to email me the information. No email from anyone in VSP. I'm concerned about my ability to stop the annual in September. Need help because I'm not even able to contact them. I would suggest that anyone joining, attempt a login to their account immediately.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I went to out of network provider because glasses broke. Was told to call for out of network waiver. Got approved. Sent in for reimbursement. Got sent a check but it was for out of network. Got reimbursed for 170 out of 590.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I ordered through my insurance through Eyeconic and VSP. I received Air Optix. I spoke to a rep over the phone regarding the colors, his advice was to check both boxes for color problems. They both had no color. I send them back, only to be told they can exchange but for clear contacts, no refund. First of all Air Optix suck. Why would I want to reorder them? I'll never order through them again. If using insurance, stay local or try another company. Air Optix isn't the colors for you if you have dark Eyes, they should really state that on their box. Scammers!

Original review: April 10, 2018

What a mess this has been. We cancelled our VSP plan in December for the upcoming year, however the person that took our cancellation did not complete it correctly, so we continued to be charged for January and February until we caught it. We then called, and were told that the person completed the request incorrectly, and that we would be issued a refund within 7 business days. We waited for 3 weeks, nothing appeared. We called back and were told that the finance department read the request wrong and never issued the refund, and that we would need to wait 7 more business days.

So again, we waited two weeks, and no refund. We called again, and were told the EXACT same story, that the finance department misunderstood the request, and did not issue the refund. We will now need to wait 7 more business days for the refund. At this point, it's been 6 weeks since we were promised a refund. I do not know when we will get it, but it seems impossible. When we called we were promised that it was completed, but obviously we were lied to. How can you get something wrong so many times?

Original review: April 6, 2018

I signed up for VSP insurance which was $12.61 monthly. I found out I already had vision insurance. I called VSP to cancel and was told I had to pay for an entire year before stopping my membership. I find this wrong and I feel I am being robbed!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Eye exam on Feb 17th, glasses picked and ordered. Sent back two weeks later scratched from the lab. Sent back with a two day turnaround. Did anyone see my glasses? This is March 15th, I haven't and neither has MyEyeDr., where I purchased them. No response from the VSP labs, nothing. Buy a Humana eye plan, my wife has it and they are fantastic. VSP, Very ** Product! I vote with my bucks.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I hear a bunch of people complaining about their year-long commitment and although it sounds unfair, it kind of makes sense. People are thinking this is like health care and it's not, they might not agree with it but you do have to be locked in for a year. It probably says it in the contract anyway. Being forced to auto-renew on the other hand, is pretty unreasonable though. Just my two cents. I'm writing about a totally different experience. My year was up in January. I emailed them a month before asking to cancel. They said, "You gotta email us later." I said okay...

I emailed them later. They said, "You are canceled." For the next MONTH OR TWO I am getting emails from them saying: 1) My payment is coming up and 2) My card is declined because they were charging an old card of mine. Thinking that I owed one more payment, I sent them a pre-validated check for $24 from Chase Bill Pay. Meaning the money is out of my account and it can't get back. Two weeks later they mail the check back to me. I call them and ask them why they did that? Turns out I never owed them money, they never took the reminders off and kept trying to ask me for money.

Well what about this check? I said... "I can't get it back from my bank... If I stop payment on it, it costs me $25. Can I send it to you and you can send me a check back?" (CS - "No... we can't do that..."). Well what am I suppose to do? "WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED US ABOUT IT." Basically it's MY FAULT that I sent money to a Vision insurance company because I was told that I owe them... and that I didn't check them for their mistakes. Luckily it's only $24 but that is not how you try to solve a problem. Blaming someone because your own billing practices forced them to send you a check...

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

VSP and Eyeconic are terrible partners. Benefits are dramatically oversold and the partner Eyeconic website is simply one big scam. Price double the normal, and ridiculously poor service. I would advise dropping VSP - it simply is not worth the money, and check the fine print on the benefits is you are still interested.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company has a ONE YEAR cancellation policy. You heard that correctly. ONE YEAR. I purchased a family plan in August of 2016 and was automatically renewed in 2017. I made the mistake of using benefits at the beginning of the year (in Aug. 2017). In December of 2017, I got a new job that offered vision insurance (through VSP of all places). When I called VSP they would not cancel my policy because I had used the plan. I am now stuck paying $75 a month for the next 10 months while having double coverage. I spent an hour on the phone and there was no resolution. You're better off just paying cash with a credit card-- all VSP is a lay-away plan anyway.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I've had the VSP High Option through my employer for 3 years. Finally went for an eye exam from an out of network eye doctor. Got my glasses at Walmart Optical. The folks at Walmart were literally excited to find out I had the coverage I did because my glasses would be $10 irrespective of what I choose. Naturally I went with nice frames with the best lenses for my progressive bifocals with transitions lenses. Then I called VSP customer service to see if they would pay for out of network exams. The representative asked for the phone number of my doctor, put me on hold for about two minutes, called the doctor and had them send the bill directly to them. A complete WOW experience.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

VSP coverage states what the co-pay is for most 'benefits', however they don't actually cover anything useful in those benefits. Meaning that for most cases you end up paying more than just going without insurance. For example: Contact Lens Exam coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $0 co-pay, with $140 towards the cost of contact lenses themselves, but then in small print "Your contact lens exam is not covered. You'll need to pay the provider directly." If I have to pay the provider out of pocket for the contact lens exam, then why say that I have a $0 co-pay for a contact lens exam.

Prescription Lens coverage noted as being included and that I am eligible with $10 co-pay, however immediately below that is a price list for each lens (e.g. UV protection, scratch resistant protection, etc.) with a note that "you should expect to pay no more than the following costs..." With all the costs for lens types being more than what they are without insurance (from personal experience of having had to buy glasses without insurance). Worthless insurance - if your employer offers this, don't make the same mistake as I did.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

VSP's benefits (even on the highest tier) does not provide any discounts as with previous vision insurance (UHC) for glasses. Very little $$ is taken off from prescription glasses. Also doesn't help that the doctors in their network charge close to thousands for prescription glasses. One doctor I went to even tried to get my medical insurance information so he can avoid using VSP. Very shady practices from the doctors they are in business with.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I used to like VSP and always brought them business but not after today... Today that wonderfully fruitful business relationship comes to an end. I will never use them again. I tried to cancel my membership today and I was told I'm "locked in for a year"... The end of the year is in 9 months. They had me set up a MANDATORY monthly auto withdrawal. I explained to them that I've had a serious change in circumstances and am facing a hardship (I lost my job and am currently unemployed)... They didn't care, the rep stated their policy still stands.

What a load of **! This company cares solely about the dollar and most certainly not about the members! I don't do business with shady companies like that. Never again. This is the most asinine, ** policy and it only pisses people off. VSP will end up losing so much business over it. I'm young and if I were happy with VSP (had this situation not happened) I would have canceled and come back as soon as my employment was resumed with a new company. They would have made so many thousands of dollars from me, over my lifetime, to add to their (already hefty) bankroll. But, alas, another ** company bites the dust. Good riddance. On to their competitors I go, with the long list of other dissatisfied ex-members in this complaints log. Extremely Disappointed Soon-To-Be-Ex-Member.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Trying to cancel before your year ending date is impossible. The coverage is poor and the cost is too high. I have not used the insurance for two years and when I tried to cancel was told I would have to wait until September. This company in a sham and should be investigated for its poor service.

Original review: May 26, 2017

What does copay mean to these folks? To me, a $25 materials copay means I pay $25. Not so. Plan to pay much more than this for your eyeglasses, no matter where you go, or how much you downgrade to save money. Not worth it. I can order glasses online through EyeBuyDirect much cheaper and without insurance.

Original review: April 10, 2017

Rebate for Crizal and Varilux lenses: The rebate is a complete scam! In the fine print of the 10 paragraphs on the back of the rebate form it says it must be postmarked within 45 days of purchase, even if it is submitted before the deadline date. Very dissatisfied with VSP.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Wow. They overcharged me. Said they were putting me on one plan and they put me on another that didn't provide the services I paid for. Wouldn't fix the problems. Their website sucks. Their support by phone is useless. With this great plan, I paid more for my doctor and glass than if I'd just paid the doctor directly. Why bother?

Original review: March 6, 2017

I've had VSP since the Federal government first offered it to Federal employees, and it's always been great. Yes, there's a dollar limit on what it will pay for services, but that's true of any insurance. I've been extremely nearsighted but old enough for bifocals or trifocals, so my glasses ran around $850. Thanks to VSP, I have been able to keep my out-of-pocket expense to around $250. I've never had problems with verifying benefits, either. When I make the appointment for my eye exam, I tell the provider that I have VSP insurance. They call in advance, get the information on what my coverage will pay, and they're ready and able to help me select new frames and lenses.

I recently had cataracts removed from both eyes, and corrective lenses were implanted. Now, my vision is much better, but I still need some help with far distance and reading (My computer vision is perfect, though!). My eyes are good enough now that I no longer need high-index plastic lenses, so I'll be able to get the polycarbonate lenses that VSP pays completely. I don't know if the reviewers who hate VSP have the high or low option. I have the high option, which covers Transitions lenses, anti-scratch coating, and anti-reflective coating. One optometrist told me that I had the "Cadillac of vision insurance," and I believe it. Perhaps VSP packages for the private sector are not as generous; I wouldn't know. For Federal employees, though, it's excellent.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I had VSP for 1 year, and when it came time to renew, the card I had on file would not work. I got emails from them explaining this, so I went on their (awful) website and updated my payment info. But there's NO OPTION to actually submit a payment. That's just idiotic. So I waited a week hoping I'd see a charge for my current year's insurance. Nothing.

I call and speak to someone, he tells me I'm all up to date, this current year, not last year. Nothing more to do. Great! I set an eye exam for 2 weeks later. 2 weeks goes by and the doctor calls to tell me my insurance isn't going through. Well that's odd. I call VSP and speak to a billing representative, explaining the situation. Her answer: "There's no record of you calling us about this before, so you must've called the wrong number". I was dumbfounded. So I said, "You mean to tell me that I called the wrong number and some random person helped me with my customer service complaint and told me my insurance was up to date?" She said yes. I was absolutely floored.

The end result is that all I could do was renew my insurance with them for the full amount and it would take 5 days to go into effect. I will never do business with such an idiotic company again; I was perfectly willing to pay, they made it impossible online, then told me on the phone I was all set, then told me I was an idiot for calling a wrong number and speaking to a stranger who helped me with my VSP plan, then insisted that the only way to fix all this was to pay full price even though my appointment had to be canceled and my time had been wasted on 3 separate occasions. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I called VSP to inquire about my benefits that I haven't used yet to see how long I have left to use. I also told the person I spoke to that my husband's company now offers VSP through group plan and I wished to cancel before the next 12 mo term started. Ok, I've got until the end of the month to use my benefits and cancellation is handled. No problem, I thought until the next payment hit my checking account. I have now gotten several different stories from VSP. They can't do anything about refunding my money for two weeks, unless I can give them the name of the person I spoke with. So they can, but won't.

I am currently out of work and my husband only gets paid one a month, so that $55 I was going to have to make it until Friday (today is Tuesday) has been sucked away and I can't do anything about it. Apparently, the first thing their customer service people are taught is to say they don't have any record of the cancellation. Makes me think they make a lot of money that way. Sad sad sad.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

You need to be careful if you are selecting these crooks. Everyone and their mother knows what "Copay" means. When I go to my doctor, I have a $20 copay...means I pay $20 and the insurance picks up the rest. Apparently when VSP (Very ** Program) says a contact lens exam is a $15 copay, they actually mean they pay the $15 and you pay the rest! WTF!?! So I'm paying $16/month to get $15 off a once/year exam??? Does anyone have some ocean front property in Arizona they want to sell me...I'm buying! Hell, most providers don't even apply the $15 anyway...it's a joke and more hassle than it's worth. They just discount the exam by $15...probably because they would have to pay someone more than that per hour to fight with them to get paid!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

This is a scam in short. Went to the "affiliated", "in-network", "out-of-network" stores and nowhere you will be able to get a decent pair of glasses without paying exorbitant amount of money. In almost all the stores, they say the lens and frame will cost me close to $500 and VSP only pays 130 out of it. Useless to pay for its premium, instead directly go to the store and buy whichever frame and glass you want for way less money.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I thought the idea of ordering online and as part of VSP's preferred partner this would be fast and efficient. First their site is very slow but not a big deal overall. I ordered and upload my prescription for glasses 8 days ago and my order just went into fulfillment status yesterday - my glasses are not even made yet! So by the time you add on the 7-10 day delivery I may get them somewhere around 2-3 weeks post the date ordered. Should have just got my glasses at my doctor's office. Also they charged me 23.00 for frames/lens that were 100% covered by my VSP benefits and also a 25.00 co-pay that was already fulfilled when I saw my eye doctor. I questioned them on all of this and they said (2 days later) I should contact VSP about it. Just UGH!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I got my vision checked on 10/12/2016, my order was submitted and I was told by the optometrist's office that I would receive my glasses within 2 weeks. I called on the day they were supposed to be in, nothing, give it a few more days (2). Called again, give it more time (3 days), and we called them and got you a monetary rebate due to your trouble. Called again (2 days), and was told that the lab was supposed to call me. Strange, I didn't get any calls.

I call VSP and nothing is noted in my account. At this point I have been waiting 3 weeks and nothing is noted as being out of the ordinary even though they are supposed to call me. I raise hell. "Oh we had a computer issue at the lab." (10/14/2016 if you're curious.) "The optometrist wasn't supposed to quote you two weeks. They should be quoting 3." (Funny they get their estimates based on what VSP says.) "And the first pair failed QA, we're remaking them, and there IS a priority on your lenses now. For all of your trouble we'll get you another pair of lenses for free, just provide the frames."

I was told there was an outside chance I could get my glasses by today 11/4/2016 (but most definitely by 11/7) and when I called VSP (to cut my optician out of this, it's not their fault) their CS tell me no it's not shipped, and after they called the lab, it's going to be ANOTHER WEEK BECAUSE THE SECOND PAIR FAILED QA TOO!

I'm tired of waiting. I want my glasses, I do NOT have an accurate pair now, and therefore my eyes are getting worse the longer I wait. (I have a 20+ yr old pair that is about half strength of what I need on my bad eye.) Maybe someone will figure out how those darn newfangled computer machines work and learn how to cut the lenses and apply coatings correctly. I'm scared to send them my old frames now from the reviews I'm seeing.

VSP Vision Care expert review by Cyril Tuohy

VSP Vision was founded in 1955 by optometrists in California. In the 1980s, VSP became available throughout the United States, and today the company provides vision coverage to over 80 million members.

• Not-for-profit: VSP Vision Care is the only not-for-profit vision insurance sold in the United States. This classification means that the company doesn’t answer to shareholders concerned with making a profit.

• Large network: Over 34,000 doctors participate in VSP’s network. A large network makes it easier for insured individuals to find a provider they like and enrollment is open year-round.

• Gift policies: Interested consumers can purchase VSP plans as gifts for their loved ones. Once the customer has purchased the policy, the recipient can receive benefits in about a week. Recipients must be at least 18 years old.

• LASIK: Some VSP plans offer discounts on LASIK procedures from select providers. Interested consumers should consult the VSP website for plan and discount information.

• Eyes of Hope: VSP’s community action program, Eyes of Hope, provides vision care and prescription eyewear to those in need. The company has invested over $175 million in free eye care and products and helped more than 1 million people around the world.

• Best for: VSP is best for retirees, individuals, families and anyone who wishes to give eye coverage to someone else.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

VSP Vision Care Company Information