Sears Optical
1.62/5
  • 1 star
Based on 135 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Discover the right online glasses retailer now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Sears Optical

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 19, 2017

182 Sears Optical Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I bought glasses on 5/30/17. Purchased the extended warranty in case of issues with the glasses. However in June or July the optical part closed permanently and I was never told that I was going to have to drive the 65 miles to go to another store. Well the glasses that were bought in May 30, 2017 were dropped and have a deep gouge in them, I have called for over a week and was given the option to drive to another state to have them repaired.

I don't feel like I should have to drive that far especially since I was never told about the closing. I would have saved my money on this warranty and took my chances. I called yet again and have asked for a regional manager to contact me regarding refunding my cost for the extended warranty and have yet to be called. I am extremely upset that this company would treat the customers this way. But maybe this is why they have closed at this location. I will never purchase anything from Sears again and have told everyone about my experience with Sears.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I bought a pair of glasses that I'm not able to wear because the fishbowl/eye effect is so bad it makes me sick and would drive me crazy. My prescription only change only slightly. I've never had a pair of glasses in 45 years that I could wear. They would give me my money back, so I'm out $400 out of pocket, $700 total. Don't make the mistake I did and go somewhere else. They "tried" to fix them 3 times. I don't think they did anything. It stretched out over months. Horrible. I went to the Sears Optical in Newington, New Hampshire.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I had my eye glasses order sent in 7/29/2017. And it's been almost 4 weeks; and never received any call/explanation from them. Every time I called they just promised another future date. Last year, I didn't get my glasses until after at least 6 weeks later even though they promised 2-week turn-around time?

Original review: June 28, 2017

I spent almost 500.00 for 4 so-called BO-GO deal for my son and myself. My son's eyeglasses were too loose so went back and supposedly he had them adjusted - next day they fell off his bridge and the lense came out - took back. Lady says it's the lens - so had to wait 4-5 day for them to come in - they're fine now. My sunglasses had to have clear bifocals so I paid extra 25 to have them installed last Friday 6/23/17 and when I got home there was a small nick in the lens so back to Sears to have the rude gentleman grind them out. Never to do business with these people again.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Wow, how I wish I had read these complaints before going to Sears Optical. My experience was similar to many others. The doctor was nice but did not do a regular refraction. He just did one lens check for both eyes. I think he may have forgotten what he was doing as he did mention I could get glasses just for computer work in the future. I'm sure the glasses I got were just for this as I can't see anything in the distance as everything beyond a foot is blurry. I need glasses to drive with. The clerk said I just need to get used to them and to take them home and keep trying them. These were buy one get one free so I have two pair and they do not appear to be the same prescription.

My other complaint is they wanted to charge me $700 + saying, "Don't forget you are getting two pairs." I did get the bill down to $500 but I should have just said no and left. I took them back but because I only had the customer copy they wouldn't give me a refund. I emailed the 'Contact Us' but haven't heard back as yet. Since I have read the reviews, I'm not holding my breath for a return email from them. My next step is to contact the Attorney General's office.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: May 5, 2017

I went to Sears optical to get my glasses Rx filled because my husband went there and had an ok experience. I didn't go to the same store but figured they would be the same. I got my glasses at Sears, York galleria mall, York, PA. I saw three different associates from the time I first went to pick out the glasses and pay, then to pick them up and then to have them adjusted. I got the buy one, get one free offer and got regular glasses and sunglasses. The"optometrist" (not sure if he is certified) explained how they have to charge for both pairs and then take the discounts off each one because of their system. By the time he finished all that, I'm not sure if I actually got that "deal"!

The glasses came in less than 10 days so that was good. The girl who was there when I went to pick them up had me put them and asked if they were ok. She didn't do much to check to make sure they were lined up correctly and whatever other adjustments should be done. But I said I would need to wear them awhile to know if they were right. Within a few minutes of putting on the sunglasses, I knew they were not going to work. I started getting a headache and got a rainbow effect when driving. There was a blue line across the road in the distance and I could not read my gps. The regular glasses also produce a blue line perpendicular to the road and also a yellow line in closer distance. The frames were uncomfortable and heavy due to them being polycarbonate, I think. I always wore plastic, cr39.

I took them to the optical dept at my eye doctor's office to have them checked (I didn't get the glasses there due to the cost) and the Rx was correct but she noticed there were no markings on the regular glasses when she looked at them in her machine. She said that was very odd. She gave me some talking points to discuss with the Sears person when I went back to get them adjusted. So I went back to Sears and got a third person who seemed to know what she was doing. She adjusted them - they were not in the right position - they were progressive lenses. I mentioned that the markings weren't there. She thought that was odd too but glossed over that. I told her I would try them out awhile and see how they worked but I really didn't like the way the frames fit. She said I could change them if I decided they really didn't work. I asked if I could go to any Sears and she said yes. I live a lot closer to a different Sears in Maryland.

So, I went to the one at Harford mall, Bel Air, MD. When I got there, the lady was just setting "will return at..." clock. I said, "Oh you're closed now?" She said they close every day from 1:30-2:30 for lunch and our computer is down. Then she frowned at me and asked what I wanted. I said that I want to return these glasses because they weren't working for me. I told her I got them in York. She asked, frowning and acting annoyed like I was bothering her, "Why don't you take them back to York?" I said this store is a lot closer to me. She said, "Well that would mess up things at this store." I said I was told I could go to any store.

She started saying something but I just said never mind and walked away. Her tone and facial expressions were very nasty and she clearly didn't want to deal with my situation. Very poor customer service. Although the store reps in York were pleasant enough, I just felt like they weren't all that competent. I will return both pairs and go somewhere else!

Original review: March 30, 2017

I have my eye exam from an Ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist. I've been going to sears to get glasses for over 9 years. I've taken my time to read through comments before writing a review. I have never experienced what these negative comments say. Actually I love sears, they have gone up over the years yes, but everyone goes up over the years. I've always had great luck with Sears Optical and will continue to buy my glasses there. I love their Vogue line and as a matter of fact just ordered my glasses and sunglasses last week! I can't wait for them to come in. I've always gotten my glasses in 7-10 days. There's no complaints here. I love Sears Optical!

Original review: March 28, 2017

I am completely dissatisfied. I specifically called in advance to see if I could just a contacts exam. I was told yes. Nothing worked out as I expected and this is the 3rd time in a row. The glasses I got there a year ago completely fell apart. I have spent more money there than any other place ever. I only returned because I do like the eye doctor. I have called into their corporate owner and do not have any response yet. Further investigation shows they are owned by a huge corporation in Italy who recently merged with a French company to become the largest optical vendor in the world. In 50 years I have never been exposed to what appears to me as such incompetent help and master of hidden costs. I don't have an order number because I walked out after my exam while they were calculating costs. I will NEVER go there again and I wouldn't take glasses from them if they gave them to me for free.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

My glasses are of fair quality and I'm very happy with the frames. Sears Optical has a large selection of glasses and frames, but a somewhat small selection of sunglasses. I received my glasses in-store in 2 weeks. The employees were helpful and knowledgeable about their product but they have slow delivery. I have used them 2x and would go back again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I got 2 pairs of bifocals for the price of one. My glasses are good and I received my glasses in-store. It did take awhile to receive the glasses -- 2 weeks. I got a quick, thorough eye exam, correct prescription and expert fit. My glasses purchase was good value for the money although it is still a bit pricey. I also got the same deal for my son.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Waited for 30 minutes before I was waited on and I was the only one in that department. The proper tech needed more training in trifocals or less. It took 2-3 times before the lenses were right in the glasses, frustration to say the least, but they didn't charge me. Many trips back to the store and not being compensated for my time and her incompetent ability to get it right the first time.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

I went to Sears Optical Hyannis in Nov of 14 for eye exam and glasses and then back to them in Nov of 15 for replacement glasses using the same rx. They were very hard to deal with so I decided not to use them again. One of the pair of glasses just didn't seem right but I used it as a back-up. Went to an eye doctor yesterday for exam and new glasses. Since I was new they took the 3 pairs of glasses I got at Sears to determine my current rx. Guess what. All 3 pairs that I purchased at Sears (using the exact same rx) were three different prescriptions. How can that happen? Do not use Sears if you value your sight!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Took my 84 year old mother to Sears Optical in White Oak, MD today and she saw Dr. Angela **. Best appointment she has ever had. Loved the staff and Dr. **. A special thanks to all at Sears Optical in White Oak, Maryland.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I went in and had an eye exam for glasses and contacts. The doctor was awful but I got my contacts and since my insurance will only pay for glasses or contacts I got contacts and planned on getting glasses the following year. Eyeglass prescriptions are good for two years... Well not at Sears. Found that out today when I went to get it so could get my glasses. They said all prescriptions only last 1 year with them. Please go anywhere else besides Sears. They are no good.

Original review: July 14, 2016

OMG. I will never go back to Sears - The eye doctor sucked but it was what I could afford. I received my receipt for my eye exam and glasses - which I then submit to my insurance. Well they want the actual exam breakdown with the medical codes and all that or they will not reimburse me - logical - I called back Sears to explain that I needed from the doctor the actual eye exam form for insurance - not just a paid receipt. This is month 2. Months later 4 calls and I still don't have it. Keep getting the "we will call you back" - "have to talk to the manager" - "have to talk to the doctor" - and no one has ever asked for this before REALLY!!! So I guess I am out the 80.00 reimbursement for the exam.

Original review: July 14, 2016

Nightmare - from getting the right prescription, to the correct fit on frames. Ordered frames from New York, brought them in for prescription lenses. Have been dealing with Sears back and forth now for over 8 months. Finally got the prescription right, but now frames are ruined. Nightmare...:( This is Sears Optical in Citrus Heights, Ca.

Original review: July 11, 2016

4/15/2016 Paid for glasses and eye exam 4/15/2016. Told doctor I had eye infection and the medical DR requested I be in silicone contacts. They also checked my old glasses and stated they have the wrong prescription in them. Old glasses have 6.50 - 6.75. Glasses came in and I picked them up with contacts. I said the Biofinity contacts work. Came in to get fitted for contacts. Asked them to fix my eye strain. Gave me another eye exam. I had to explain to ** that I came in here for eye strain and also to include eye infection. Small argument took place. She stated I only came in for eye infection. #miscommunication here. Not sure why she gave me another eye exam? But then proceeded to write me a prescription that is the same as my old glasses and to include are the same as my contact prescription. Ridiculous and unprofessional. Regardless of what I came in for I should get the problem solver.

Lady #2 states we can send the glasses back and take the high index off the glasses. I also asked her why the glasses prescription is different in both eyes. She stated I have astigmatism. I called and asked them to call me back. Nobody called me back so I just came up there again. Wasting some more of my time. Asked Donna (Lady #1) why did my prescription is lower now. She stated that it depends on where she measured my eyes. Received refund for glasses. I ALSO gave Donna a piece a paper to help her explain to ** that my old prescription doesn't need to be on my eyes. Also I requested a refund and she said she will tell **.

I called but nobody called me back. Again. 5/14/2016 I asked to speak to her boss. She said she is the boss. I demanded a refund. Dr. refused because she said she tried her best but can't figure it out. Also stated that she can write me the prescription for 7.25. Well if you can't figure it out then she should give me a refund for what she can't figure out. 5/16/2016 Stated she used a starting point from doctor **. Ridiculous. Why do you need a starting point from another doctor to do a eye exam?

Solution: Came to the conclusion that this doctor doesn't know what she is doing. I also will try to seek a refund of $55 because she refused to do so. Confirm that the first and second time she gave me the eye exam it was a real eye exam. I'm trying to figure out why my eye sight changed so drastically. "Did you give me a eye exam or were you just checking my eyes?" 5/18/2016. Contacted Sears Customer service again on 5/23/2016. Wrote a analysis up and dropped this work paper off to them printed 5/23/2016. Horrible Sears transaction. Very unprofessional services. Never came and spoke with me personally until after the case was over and she stated she can't help a refused to give refund.

Original review: July 7, 2016

I purchased my glasses from Sears for 4 years. In 2014 I ordered a pair of sunglasses with my regular glasses. I received my glasses in about 2 weeks, but it took over 4 months to get my sunglasses. I was so upset with Sears that I did not get my glasses from them after that. Last year it was 3 years after the sunglass incident, I decided to give Sears a try again, so I ordered my regular glasses from them. BIG MISTAKE.

Getting help to order was a task in itself. It took 3 visits to get someone to help me. When I did receive the glasses, they were not right. The lady would not return them (although Sears has a 90 day satisfaction that comes with the glasses), she would not adjust them either. They hurt my ears and nose, the lenses are not right. I have worn them for MAYBE 12 hours out of a year. Needless to say I will NOT be getting this year's glasses from Sears. Go to JCPenney, they have a great selection, great prices (cheaper than Sears), friendly employees, they are helpful, and they will work with you!

Original review: June 7, 2016

The glasses I purchased in September 2015 are the worst pair of glasses I have owned in the 25 years I been wearing glasses. You can only clean the lenses with soap and that doesn't last long before they are smudged terribly. Even lens cleaner will not clean the lenses. I never had trouble with my distance vision but with these lenses I do.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I bought glasses at Sears Optical in Midland, Texas. A very nice and knowledgeable man helped me. When the glasses arrived, there was a lady there instead of the nice man. I asked her to adjust the glasses and she refused. She said that she would be blamed if she messed them up so I would have to come back the next day for the man to adjust them. I came back and the man did a great job. Since then, I have been in twice for adjustment.

The first time, the lady acted like she didn't want to adjust them and just bent the earpiece a little and gave them back to me. This made them fit even worse than when I came in. I went back today to ask for an adjustment and the lady was on the phone. She told me that she was on the phone and I would need to come back in 15 minutes when she was finished. I told her that I could not come back in 15 minutes because I had to be at work in 20 minutes. She then told me that I had to at least give her time to put her call on hold. I left and went to work. After work, a nice lady at Eyemart Express adjusted my glasses, even though I didn't buy them there. Do not buy glasses at Sears. Evidently, it takes a major effort to get them to service their products.

Original review: May 17, 2016

My kids and I received exams and new glasses without any problems last year (4 people). All of our glasses were around the $100 limit of the insurance and we had a variety of choices. I just called for a contact lens appointment for myself (one year later) and the office set me up to see the doctor tomorrow. I will be seeing the same doctor as I saw last year. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I went to Sears for glasses, given the wrong Rx in glasses. Verified by eye dr. there. Gave them a chance to make me new ones. When I picked them up from Neil employee, was told they were right and I had to get use to them. I realizes they gave me the wrong Rx again for the second time. I have gone back numerous times and there is always a problem. I asked for my money back and was told "That's not gonna happen".

Original review: March 25, 2016

Beware of the bait and switch. They will tell you, you get two glasses for the price of one but by the time they offer you all the special discounts and suck $479.00 out of your wallet you find you are paying double the price of their competitor for one pair! We were already shocked when the total came to almost $500.00 knowing how cheap the glasses are and how long they last but when given the total we paid.

The wait was one week more than promised and when we finally got them in, we were told we owed more than the money we paid in full to place the order. We needed to pay $80.00 more for the eye exam. So they tacked on $80.00 to bill already paid in full! You don't just leave $80.00 off the total and then come back 2 weeks later and say "oh, by the way, we didn't charge you for the eye exam." Had we known all of it was going to cost beyond our budget we would have declined the order. My husband and I are on a fixed income, both disabled and have limited funds. Sears should be ashamed of themselves. It's as if the manager saw that the sales clerk didn't charge enough because of the so called discounts and they came back and tacked more on.

Never go to Sears for anything. No wonder they are going out of business. I gave up on Sears years ago when they scammed me on lousy tires that unraveled and blew up. They refused to honor the warranty and corporate never responded to my complaint for that problem. The craftsman tools that used to be great, are all made in China now and rust out in your garage within a year. I decided to give them one more chance and this is the thanks we get. Forget Sears. They are nothing but a scam operation treading water with concrete blocks attached. We haven't even picked up the glasses yet and these are the problems we had. I can just imagine how long the glasses will last before breaking.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I'm from Australia. I was holiday in San Francisco and popped into Sears Oakland. I saw the deal, 2 for $186. I went in with my script and they organized them for me. I had them posted to a friend in Iowa, although they didn't do that, so had to call and get them sent to Chicago. They have been awesome. We are off to LA this year. I'm due for new specs. Guess where I'm going. Here, they cost $1000 per unit!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I bought some glasses from Sears Optical in Twin Falls Idaho. I could not see anything. Everything was blurry. I called and told the receptionist that I could not see. She responded by telling me that I just needed to get used to the new prescription. So I waited two more weeks and called again. She was rude and told me to come in but insinuated that I was being a difficult customer. It turned out that the lenses were reversed in the frame. No wonder I couldn't see. The new glasses came and I still could not see out of them. I called - got the same runaround about eyes adjusting to the prescription etc. So I took them to a different eye center they told me that it wasn't even close to my prescription and they were supposed to be trifocals and they were not! I called Sears Optical and the receptionist told me that my warranty was up & they couldn't do anything for me. My advice is, go to a higher quality service. Your eyes are worth it!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

Sears Optical, 200 Whitehall Mall, Whitehall, PA 18052 - I got a pair of glasses from Sears for the 1st time July 2014. They were wonderful and I was very satisfied. I get a new pair every year so I went back to them late November 2015 for my next pair and was very disheartened. I could not wear the glasses. It felt like my right eye was being pulled to the center and I could not see across the street. I left them there and they had me come back when the doctor was there. I came back, he checked the glasses, bent them, and I was able to see a little better but I felt like my eyes were being pulled forward. They told me to wear them for a week to used to them. I wore them for 9 days and had to take them back. My eyes felt strained constantly and I found myself taking them off repeatedly to rub my eyes. I could not see any distance especially at night.

I took them back and the doctor changed my prescription to my old glasses from 2014. When I went to get the second pair I experience a slight double vision from about 10 feet forward. This was my 5th time there and they wanted me to come back again when the doctor was there. I asked if they changed labs from 2014 and they assured me they were using the same lab for 30 years. I immediately asked for my money back. They did refund my money, less my shopping points but would not refund the eye exam. I asked to speak to the manager and the manager told me it was like going to a medical doctor that couldn't cure you. I could not have my exam money back. Monday I started asking my co-workers if they heard anything about Sears Optical.

A passer-by overheard me, stopped and started telling me about her husband having the same problem. She also told me about her friend who has been wearing glasses since she was 9 and could not see out of her Sears lens. Sears also told her to take them home and wear them. She flatly refused and explained she has been wearing glasses her whole life and knows there is a problem. They did refund this lady's friend and husband's money but not the exam. I plan on polling more people to see if anyone else had a problem. Don't get me wrong. The service was wonderful but, I truly feel we should have gotten our exam money back as well. They didn't have to cure anything. They only had to correct.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

Aug 2015 went in for new glasses - paid almost $500.00 - received new pair of glasses. Upon receiving I complained about everything being "fuzzy" - was told to wear them a certain way and try them for a while. Returned several times (3 to 4) during a 3 month period with no results - continually told to "try this", "you have to get used to them". Finally on Nov 20, 2015 I returned them and asked for a "new" pair, was told by Donald that that is not an option now, but he will "see what he can do". It is now Dec 3, 2015 and I have not heard anything from these folks.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2015

I purchased a pair of glasses from Sears Optical Concord NH. The lens of one side of the glasses was very loose where I could wiggle the lens in the frame. I returned the glasses to get repaired. The clerk told me to "keep the glasses and new ones would be made". She never mentioned I had to keep the glasses until the new ones came in. I went to pick up the new glasses and was told I could not have them because I did not bring in the defective glasses. Unfortunately I did not keep the defective glasses and I called the Sears Optical District Manager and he would not release the glasses to me. I lose $164.99.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Sears Optical staff was very friendly. I tried on several pairs of glasses and found ones that fit my face. I didn't get the 1 year warranty should something happen to them, budget control. I kept my pair I wear now for back up. The older, older pair, I donated to The Lions Club. I liked Sears Optical. Hope the new pair look good when the lenses are put in.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2015

On 8/24/15 I made an online appointment with Sears Optical at the Western Hills location in Cincinnati. On Friday 8/28/15 I arrived 10 minutes early for my 10:45 am appointment and was told they don't have me scheduled and there was no Doctor there! I showed the receptionist a print out that said I had an appointment, but she said it must have been a computer glitch because the Doctor had blocked out that time. She asked if I would like to reschedule and I told her "no thanks I'll go someplace else". To be fair they might have good doctors and products, but I wouldn't know. I walked outside and saw another place in the same strip mall and they got me in to see the Doctor almost right away and I had my new glasses within a few hours.

Sears Optical Company Information