2. Travel
  3. Amusement Parks

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.26/5

Universal Studios Theme Park Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universal Studios Theme Park?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universal Studios Theme Park?

Original review: April 3, 2021

In the past my family has loved Universal. We went yesterday and it was miserable. Constant announcements about masks even over the sound provided to go with the ride, which ruined the experience. Yelled even when people were already wearing masks appropriately. Parks weren’t any less crowded than normal. Their entire covid policy was to squirt people with sanitizer and yell at them to wear their masks appropriately even when they were. It was like the workers felt power to boss everyone around. Instead of actually doing their jobs, they just stood around yelling at people. I never saw anyone cleaning. It took longer to get food than ever before. I felt sorry for elderly people who were having trouble catching their breath with all the walking. I’m sure there were people with health conditions struggling too. Uneducated workers just yelling about masks all day. Don’t go.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I went yesterday to Universal Adventure Island and Universal Studios. We went in after we had stayed at Universal Dockside Inn. They never said we would need our room key until we arrived. We had to talk to a manager to get in with proof from the purchase of the room. Once we were riding attractions, then I got harassed non-stop for my mask! It is CDC approved! They kept claiming that because of exhalation valves, which it is not! It is all filtered. They claimed it didn't matter as you have to follow whatever they deem meets their policy. On another ride, they claimed you had to have 2 masks on!??? No congruence, or consistency in their park. Shame on you! The amount of money it cost for admittance, room, food, and souvenirs you need to provide a positive atmosphere not one of harassment and and one that may be politically motivated to act outside the law and authority deemed by no one but your own staff.

Get buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

I have NEVER in my entire life, been treated so poorly at a tourist attraction as we were here. We worked our butts off to get on the virtual line for the Hagrid line, and even had a sweet lady who offered us some of her expired line tickets to get our group in, a group of mostly teenage girls (8 of them). We waited in line for 1.5 hrs, yes 90 minutes AFTER getting the virtual line. But that’s not the bad part. After waiting in line for 1.5 hrs, the worker at the front said he had been watching our group the entire time and we would have to leave because the girls hadn’t been wearing their masks OVER their nose.

Let me repeat, they had been WATCHING us, for AN HOUR AND A HALF, and because the TEENAGERS couldn’t keep their mask over their NOSE after 12 HOURS wearing masks in the park, we had to leave the ride. No warning, no "Hey, could you please keep your mask above your nose or we’ll have to ask you to leave", no nothing.

I’m sorry but have you EVER been around teenagers who’ve been wearing their mask for 12 hours straight. They NEVER took off their mask and were NEVER disrespectful when people asked them to cover their nose. While they were talking and dancing and playing games in line during the 90 minute wait, it would occasionally slip and they would fix it.

I didn’t realize employees here don’t know how to communicate effectively, or are crazy power hungry that they get pleasure over watching teenagers in line for 1.5 hrs just to kick them off at the front. It’s crazy, I have NEVER experienced anything like it, and I am so disappointed in Universal. I’m in shock honestly of how we were treated and singled out like that. The very next ride I went on, I saw a group of teenagers doing the exact same thing ahead of me in line, and NOT A WORD from the staff about it. Disappointed, shocked and honestly hurt over how we were treated. You could’ve handled it so much better Universal, but instead you lost 10 families and their business and respect for you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I was very disappointed and there will probably be a lawsuit after this. During the Harry Potter ride the employee would not let my family on the ride because of my nephew's medical bag that has to be with him at all times. He did not show us how to exit the ride after we waited all that time to get on and couldn't ride it. My nephew a child was completely embarrassed and cried. The tenant made him feel different because of my medical condition and you can not take a medical bag away from someone with a condition. If he did not have it and something happen during the long waiting process he could die. The workers were discriminating and completely rude. Will never go back to this park. All other parks were accommodating to people with disabilities.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I had a great time at Halloween horror nights, but the conversations I had with staff leading up to my visit was less than ideal. I have an intense anxiety disorder and was struggling with it greatly at the time of my visit (a year ago). I called guest services to see if there were some kind of accommodations that could be made because my disability is recognized under the ADA. The staff member I spoke to was extremely unprofessional and almost angry that I would ask about accommodations for an anxiety disorder. I get that there are people with much worse disabilities than my own, but I felt very uncomfortable with the way I was treated by someone who was supposedly in customer service. Again, I ended up having a great time, but the customer service with guest services was terrible.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I must tell you about an experience at your park today that has been completely mishandled and is the single reason our family will not be purchasing the remaining 4 annual passes we planned to and may never visit again. My mother and son visited yesterday with their annual passes and endured the day of standing in line regularly, as my mother is a proud person. However, I had made sure she had all the paperwork for her disability. Including her handicap plaque and doctors information regarding her degenerative joint disease. Extended periods of walking and standing causes joint swelling to the point of not being able to walk.

This morning, I advised her to put her pride aside and go speak to guest services regarding an assistance pass. She did and was advised to get a wheelchair instead. She was embarrassed and crying so when they offered her a manual wheelchair, she took it and was unable to even use it, so instead a women with an already debilitating disease was pushing around her own wheelchair. This is unacceptable.

I called guest services after they had been in line for over an hour for one ride because my mom was crying in pain and I wanted to know how to advise her to get the assistance she needed. The guest service person told me since she had been standing in line for over an hour, it was obvious she could stand in line and they accommodated her as much as they could. He then asked me to explain why it was medically an issue, which goes against the hipaa laws and I explained it. He said she would need to go to guest services and explain it and if they could do anything, they would decide.

I asked to speak with a supervisor bc after almost 5 hours in the park, they want to leave and I wanted to assist them any way I could by perhaps granting them a few express passes so their last day was somewhat salvageable. Since they are annual pass holders, my mom was saying she did not believe they would ever return and I also wanted to discuss if we could reverse their pass to a 2 day pass and be done with universal.

We gave up our Disney passes for all 6 of our family members bc we felt we were at the age with the kids to enjoy Universal, but are now very sure we made a huge mistake and I needed to discuss this with them. Her plan is to leave the park asap and never come back, but I have asked her to stop at guest services to try and speak with a manager. She stated she is humiliated enough already and I am 3 hours away and can not do anything. I felt it was important that someone understand exactly what happened, and I will be posting this everywhere I can bc anyone whose family suffers needs to know this story and be aware. I was also told via guest services that there is no sort of disability pass bc people have different disabilities and each person would have to explain theirs (which my mother did and provided proof).

Original review: March 1, 2020

I would not stay at a Universal property again. The theme park is fun but way too expensive. We did the express pass that was ridiculously expensive. The Resort need updating. The best part is the free transportation between the resort and the theme parks. Not even the ride between the airport and the resort is included. I had the meal plan but it doesn't include the restaurants at the resorts. I love kids but try to get into the hot tub! Good luck! There were at least 20 kids in it at all times. I've been to Disney and that is where I will go from now on.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

If you you want a movie like experience with alot of fun. Universal is the place to be. If you are a Harry Potter fan, you will love diagon alley and the Harry Potter rides. The rides made it feel like i was a part of the movie.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

The park was great, the employees were extremely well trained and helpful and friendly. Everything was very expensive though. We stayed at a hotel within the park, and "resort fees" which I've also experienced in Las Vegas, are a subtle, yet slimy way that they squeeze you for extra money. The fees aren't considered a part of the hotel room quote/charge, but there's no opt-out option, so you get charged 100% of the time anyways, so why not build those fees into the cost of the room? It feels like bait and switch.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Universal Studios is absolutely my favorite theme park in Florida! As 3-time annual passholder members (preferred passes), we have been over 45 times, and we don't get tired of it. I highly recommend staying in the Portofino Bay hotel for not only fast passes, but also for a very relaxing, beautiful stay.

Universal Studios Theme Park author review by ConsumerAffairs

Universal Orlando opened in 1990 and began expanding in 1994 to become a multi-day vacation resort. It now includes two parks, Universal Studios Orlando and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, on over 200 acres.

• Rides: Both parks feature award-winning rides. Revenge of the Mummy has won the Golden Ticket award for Best Indoor Roller Coaster every year since 2008. For the past two years, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has won the Best Dark Ride Golden Ticket.

• Halloween: Every September and October, Universal Studios Orlando hosts Halloween Horror Nights. During this event, the park is invaded by all kinds of monsters, and visitors can tour haunted houses. Universal has won the Golden Ticket for the Best Halloween Event every year since 2008.

• Harry Potter: Both Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure have Harry Potter attractions. Visitors can shop in Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes and then take the Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade.

• Pet friendly: Several of the on-site hotels at Universal Studios are pet friendly. There are designated areas for dog walking, and special arrangements can be made with housekeeping when pets are staying in visitors’ rooms. Pets must have all appropriate vaccinations.

• CityWalk: This venue offers visitors a variety of dining experiences that are suitable for all different types of travelers, from families with small children to couples looking for a romantic meal. It also has live entertainment, miniature golf, a movie theater and unique boutiques.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team