2.98/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

160 Universal Studios Theme Park Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We purchased season passes in November. Our first visit was on 11/30/2018. Downloaded the app so we can check block-out dates. The calendar in the app automatically displays block-out dates, which one would assume would be the same for every pass holder (it was our first time to buy a season pass). We understand that the holidays are the busiest for the theme parks so it made sense that they were all blocked out. We waited until today to go, only to find out that we were looking at the wrong calendar. The app is misleading as it shows the calendar right away without asking for the ticket number. How would a first-time season pass buyer know that?

At the Guest Services, they offered us to purchase one-day tickets at discounted price. $79 per person! This is an insult and a rip-off. They are taking advantage of the people, as they know they don’t have any choice but to buy tickets as they have already planned for the day. My husband and I both took time off from work. My kids did not have school the whole 2 weeks and we just stayed home hoping towards the end of our Christmas break, we can get to enjoy the theme park. I am hoping this never happens to any consumer or a parent like me. They should have better system to inform people that there are different block out dates and how to look for the block-out dates.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Absolutely a waste of money. 40 dollars for what they call prime parking so that you can avoid the line up (bogus) - another 145 dollars to go into one park (we chose Universal Studios). Crazy line ups anywhere you go and the themes are nothing to take home. Not a great memory and we will NEVER GO BACK!! Stay away!!

Get expert buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Sunday, 12/16/18 cost $40 for one car to park. Then floundered around trying to find correct line to pay for a ticket (which costs close to $145). No one was directing traffic or telling us which line to get in. Then, after waiting in line for around 20 minutes or more, paid for ticket and proceeded to yet another line, where the ticket was to be validated and we would gain entry. However, wrong again, we were told we had the wrong ticket: We would have to go back and wait in line again to get a different ticket. There was no manager stepping-in to make it better and apologize - just an invitation to flounder around again. We broke line this time and paid extra to get the correct ticket.

However, we had no assistance from a member of management. I thought this whole process was extremely poorly managed. My thought was that the stupid company that manages this does not care about satisfying the customer. They just want more bucks. They will still get millions of visitors even if they treat them like dirt and charge them out of their nose. I will not waste my money again! (Note: the 3 stars was because the dragon in the Harry Potter section made a great picture, the Shrek reality experience was fun, and because I loved the Christmas parade in the evening.)

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We arrived at the park and the first thing we saw were the lines. The waiting time WE WAITED 100+ MINUTES for a 2 minute ride! Even with the express pass. I recommend coming in a Monday if you can due to the sheer wait time.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

When visiting Universal Studios Orlando, many rides require you to put any loose items in a locker. If you are still on the ride when the park closes, the lockers are opened, all items (from all lockers in an area) are scooped into one big garbage bag, any of those $17 drink cups are thrown away, and the bag is brought to lost and found.

When we got off the Mummy ride and went to retrieve our items, the locker area was closed and the doors locked. We were directed to lost and found and actually got there before the guy with our stuff. $110 was missing from my husband's wallet. We contacted Universal security and they stated they are not responsible for "lost or stolen items" (even though it was obviously stolen by an employee!). They told us that the locker employees are not actually employees of Universal. We contacted Orlando Police and waited 2 hours for them to be escorted by security from the back entrance so they could talk with us. We were tired, sore, and angry. The policeman literally said "you reported this to Universal security, so what do you want me to do about it?" We know $110 is not enough for the police to be concerned about, but we wanted the employee arrested. He was long gone.

Security "assured" us that they were very concerned about things like this and would take action. We wanted to know what kind of action, but they don't disclose that to guests. I will never return. If you are there anywhere near closing time (And remember that lines can be longer than you expect), do not leave anything of value in the lockers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universal Studios Theme Park?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I went to Orlando from Miami (a 4 hour drive) with a bunch of my friends to spend a weekend to go to HHN. I bought my ticket MONTHS in advanced ($85.99) online, not to mention costs of hotel, gas, food, etc, this trip cost me over $300 to just BE there. Unfortunately, when I arrived to the park I felt extremely sick and nauseous to my stomach that my friend and I had to leave the park immediately. Within around 20 minutes we were back in the car driving home at 9pm when the park closes at 1AM. Before this, I talked to THREE TEAM MEMBERS which told me that due to my situation, a refund COULD be possible if I make the line at Guest Services (it was over an hour long line and I was already feeling horrible) or call in the morning.

I called the next morning, explained the ENTIRE situation, yet they absolutely have NO sympathy for their customers whatsoever. They do not even have an actual headquarters number, only Guest Services? Funny that I called twice on separate days and had the same team member speaking to me telling me nothing can be done. I gave him names of ALL the team members who told me a refund was possible, and he recorded everything to let those team members know, but still told me they don't do refunds no matter what. I told them that is unfair that I came all the way from Miami to be here, and out of personal issues I was not able to enjoy the park.

Because of their ZERO TOLERANCE policy, this is a park I will NOT be spending my money on again. Their guest services team is extremely unhelpful and no matter what you do or say, you will not be a "happy customer". This is just a money hungry corporation that does not care about the people that PAY THEIR SALARIES.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Now that I have two little children; I find myself at amusement parks and their affiliated hotels quite often. Although there are many choices here in Florida; I have had the best experiences at the Universal Studios theme parks and their premium hotels. I highly recommend The Royal Pacific Hotel where you are welcomed with a fun flower necklace. The hotel is magnificent and your stay includes fast passes for many of the rides at the theme park (front of the line). Another bonus is that there is actual service at the pool! Nothing better than having my drink and meal delivered to me after a long day on my feet. This hotel also has boat transportation to the nightlife or the parks. It is sometimes pricey but good deals do happen.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It’s crazy to me that you would be charged $62-$115 a ticket plus $22 to park for an event only open 5 pm-1 am if you have to wait in line for any kind of minor inconvenience for 1+ hours, leaving only a few hours to experience one or two houses that last maybe a minute long. It is completely not worth the money and I’ll never come back.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Lines were short and personnel were very friendly. Food was pretty good and not too expensive for an amusement park. Rides were good. Loved "Escape from Hogwarts". I am a bit peeved that they charged $170 per ticket plus $25 to park and the park closed at 5 for the Halloween program. I imagine we could have stayed in the park after 5 but we had to leave for the Blue Man Group show. Too expensive. Won't come back.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My ticket says 3x pass in 1 yr to Universal Studios, I was denied for 2nd visit for September 29. The ticket is so goddamn expensive and we can’t used it during kids school breaks...what is so special about September crap? I want my money back. :) booboo.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

A Florida resident gets NOTHING in the way of a discount for the one day pass. JK Rowling should be appalled by the pricing to see her famed display designed only for the Mega Rich. Of course herself being a billionaire due to mine and other single mothers children's lifetime devotion to her stories I am sure she cares at this point. I am so pleased to see she has given us yet another opportunity to provide her private island with luxury.

A one day multi park pass (the only way to see all of the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" that is conveniently located in TWO parks so one admission won't do it cost $170.00 per person for ONE DAY! Yes, two people one day... Almost $350.00 dollars and if you don't want to wait in line you can add a fast pass for another $68.00. So for the ROCK BOTTOM PRICE of $238.00 per person you and your beloved can go buy a wand for $50.00 yes that is fifty American dollars in addition to the almost $250 dollars after parking for a fun day of $300.00 Bucks per person that does not include a single meal or drink. Who the hell has $600.00 dollars especially a Florida resident. Have you seen the wages???) to attend this park?

Universal is a Super Rich/Super Rip Off that should hang their heads for how much GREED is behind these attractions. I would rather my family watch them torture sea life then spend months of hard earned money to send my teens (That would be without me of course because that would cost nearly a GRAND!!!) to this place to put more dollars into the hands of the Mega Rich!!! Thanks for the congested roads, overpriced gas, and overpriced groceries you added to this State while absorbing our tax dollars and souls. You SUCK!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The one new ride that they had advertised Fast and Furious, I did not get to ride because it was not working!! I was just really disappointed and I wish they didn’t charge so much for their FastPasses.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I loved it. There were no problems except that it was extremely hot outside. Everything was amazing. You need about 2 weeks or more to see it all. One week is never enough time to see it all in both Disney World & Universal Studios.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

A bit pricey but is as expected. For a better experience you need to purchase the express pass which is very expensive. But, overall experience was good.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Nice but a little pricey. Harry Potter attraction was great. Bubba Gump restaurant had good service. Parking was organized and entrance to park was easy. Discounts should be given to service personnel.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I had a great time. Universal Studios is different than Disneyland and Six Flags. They are all unique in their focus on the entertainment industry. Each one gives a unique experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Universal Studios was ok. We didn't have much money. We are in the upper mountains cost a lot to get there than the pay, so was good to me. Looked forward to going, been a while since I've been, havent seen the new stuff.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We had a wonderful time. The park clean and pleasant and the prices was not bad. The food was excellent, customer service was great, bathroom clean and you didn’t have to wait long for a ride. I will go back again and again and again. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Not enough shade in the summer. Lines are too long. With all the people there, it doesn't make sense not to have enough Fastpass. Not too much how expensive it is there.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

It was a nice visit but not fantastic. Crowd movement could have been better and more places to escape the sun. We did the VIP which was nice but even then they didn’t offer additional water on the tour.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Great, fun place to visit, and a lot things to do there for everyone all ages. Great rides, great attraction for all ages, and good food too.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Universal and Disney blow Six Flags away. Six Flags is a fun day trip but if you want extra special entertainment, Disney and Universal of course are the better choices.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I was really disappointed! The rides were all basically the same except the roller coasters, Harry Potter and Jimmy Fallon. My kids are 17-19 and love thrill rides... it was not what we expected.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

An experience that every kid will enjoy and remember, although a bit too pricey to enter the park. Very expensive to buy food and beverage. Disney has to bring their prices to an affordable level.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

We had an amazing and exhausting 77 night stay in Florida at Disney and Epcot Center. Everything was top notch from the Marriott condos that we stayed in to the rides and the breakfast with all the Disney stars. Actually the tickets we had gotten were also very affordable. I believe that for 5 days a week I paid $129 per person and we got to enter into both Disney and Epcot Center as many times as you wanted to. I would rate my overall experience on a scale to 1 to 10 at a 9 only because of the fact that it was an exhausting experience with three young kids but everybody enjoyed their time immensely.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We go every week. We eat at the Hard Rock. Food is better than the park's food and not much more money. Lots of A/C. Waiting for rides better than Disney there by far. Lines way less time than Disney also.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Don't go during Summer. Lines are too long and it is too hot. Best is mid to late September or April-May time frame. My recommendation is don't eat in the park because it is extremely expensive for mediocre food.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Rides were fantastic and only one tripped me up. 'Back to the Future'. The rocks in my head kept banging together. I guess, 'cause it wasn't fun for me... :(

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

The lines were quick and good check ups for security. All employees were helpful and around to help. The food was good and fresh. Lines were crazy for food but that is expected. We will definitely go again.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had a wonderful day. Lines weren't too long. Over a 7 hour period we were able to do all but two rides. We did not purchase any fast passes. We did purchase the food & drink option and felt the value was well worth it. We had a very hearty and great tasting lunch for about 1/2 the full price.

Universal Studios Theme Park expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Universal Orlando opened in 1990 and began expanding in 1994 to become a multi-day vacation resort. It now includes two parks, Universal Studios Orlando and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, on over 200 acres.

• Rides: Both parks feature award-winning rides. Revenge of the Mummy has won the Golden Ticket award for Best Indoor Roller Coaster every year since 2008. For the past two years, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has won the Best Dark Ride Golden Ticket.

• Halloween: Every September and October, Universal Studios Orlando hosts Halloween Horror Nights. During this event, the park is invaded by all kinds of monsters, and visitors can tour haunted houses. Universal has won the Golden Ticket for the Best Halloween Event every year since 2008.

• Harry Potter: Both Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure have Harry Potter attractions. Visitors can shop in Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes and then take the Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade.

• Pet friendly: Several of the on-site hotels at Universal Studios are pet friendly. There are designated areas for dog walking, and special arrangements can be made with housekeeping when pets are staying in visitors’ rooms. Pets must have all appropriate vaccinations.

• CityWalk: This venue offers visitors a variety of dining experiences that are suitable for all different types of travelers, from families with small children to couples looking for a romantic meal. It also has live entertainment, miniature golf, a movie theater and unique boutiques.

• Best for: Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure is great for families, young adults and solo travelers. Movie lovers will especially enjoy many of the attractions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs