3.21/5

154 Universal Studios Theme Park Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Now that I have two little children; I find myself at amusement parks and their affiliated hotels quite often. Although there are many choices here in Florida; I have had the best experiences at the Universal Studios theme parks and their premium hotels. I highly recommend The Royal Pacific Hotel where you are welcomed with a fun flower necklace. The hotel is magnificent and your stay includes fast passes for many of the rides at the theme park (front of the line). Another bonus is that there is actual service at the pool! Nothing better than having my drink and meal delivered to me after a long day on my feet. This hotel also has boat transportation to the nightlife or the parks. It is sometimes pricey but good deals do happen.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

It’s crazy to me that you would be charged $62-$115 a ticket plus $22 to park for an event only open 5 pm-1 am if you have to wait in line for any kind of minor inconvenience for 1+ hours, leaving only a few hours to experience one or two houses that last maybe a minute long. It is completely not worth the money and I’ll never come back.

Get expert buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Lines were short and personnel were very friendly. Food was pretty good and not too expensive for an amusement park. Rides were good. Loved "Escape from Hogwarts". I am a bit peeved that they charged $170 per ticket plus $25 to park and the park closed at 5 for the Halloween program. I imagine we could have stayed in the park after 5 but we had to leave for the Blue Man Group show. Too expensive. Won't come back.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My ticket says 3x pass in 1 yr to Universal Studios, I was denied for 2nd visit for September 29. The ticket is so goddamn expensive and we can’t used it during kids school breaks...what is so special about September crap? I want my money back. :) booboo.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

A Florida resident gets NOTHING in the way of a discount for the one day pass. JK Rowling should be appalled by the pricing to see her famed display designed only for the Mega Rich. Of course herself being a billionaire due to mine and other single mothers children's lifetime devotion to her stories I am sure she cares at this point. I am so pleased to see she has given us yet another opportunity to provide her private island with luxury.

A one day multi park pass (the only way to see all of the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" that is conveniently located in TWO parks so one admission won't do it cost $170.00 per person for ONE DAY! Yes, two people one day... Almost $350.00 dollars and if you don't want to wait in line you can add a fast pass for another $68.00. So for the ROCK BOTTOM PRICE of $238.00 per person you and your beloved can go buy a wand for $50.00 yes that is fifty American dollars in addition to the almost $250 dollars after parking for a fun day of $300.00 Bucks per person that does not include a single meal or drink. Who the hell has $600.00 dollars especially a Florida resident. Have you seen the wages???) to attend this park?

Universal is a Super Rich/Super Rip Off that should hang their heads for how much GREED is behind these attractions. I would rather my family watch them torture sea life then spend months of hard earned money to send my teens (That would be without me of course because that would cost nearly a GRAND!!!) to this place to put more dollars into the hands of the Mega Rich!!! Thanks for the congested roads, overpriced gas, and overpriced groceries you added to this State while absorbing our tax dollars and souls. You SUCK!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universal Studios Theme Park?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The one new ride that they had advertised Fast and Furious, I did not get to ride because it was not working!! I was just really disappointed and I wish they didn’t charge so much for their FastPasses.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I loved it. There were no problems except that it was extremely hot outside. Everything was amazing. You need about 2 weeks or more to see it all. One week is never enough time to see it all in both Disney World & Universal Studios.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

A bit pricey but is as expected. For a better experience you need to purchase the express pass which is very expensive. But, overall experience was good.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Nice but a little pricey. Harry Potter attraction was great. Bubba Gump restaurant had good service. Parking was organized and entrance to park was easy. Discounts should be given to service personnel.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I had a great time. Universal Studios is different than Disneyland and Six Flags. They are all unique in their focus on the entertainment industry. Each one gives a unique experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Universal Studios was ok. We didn't have much money. We are in the upper mountains cost a lot to get there than the pay, so was good to me. Looked forward to going, been a while since I've been, havent seen the new stuff.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We had a wonderful time. The park clean and pleasant and the prices was not bad. The food was excellent, customer service was great, bathroom clean and you didn’t have to wait long for a ride. I will go back again and again and again. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Not enough shade in the summer. Lines are too long. With all the people there, it doesn't make sense not to have enough Fastpass. Not too much how expensive it is there.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

It was a nice visit but not fantastic. Crowd movement could have been better and more places to escape the sun. We did the VIP which was nice but even then they didn’t offer additional water on the tour.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Great, fun place to visit, and a lot things to do there for everyone all ages. Great rides, great attraction for all ages, and good food too.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Universal and Disney blow Six Flags away. Six Flags is a fun day trip but if you want extra special entertainment, Disney and Universal of course are the better choices.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I was really disappointed! The rides were all basically the same except the roller coasters, Harry Potter and Jimmy Fallon. My kids are 17-19 and love thrill rides... it was not what we expected.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

An experience that every kid will enjoy and remember, although a bit too pricey to enter the park. Very expensive to buy food and beverage. Disney has to bring their prices to an affordable level.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

We had an amazing and exhausting 77 night stay in Florida at Disney and Epcot Center. Everything was top notch from the Marriott condos that we stayed in to the rides and the breakfast with all the Disney stars. Actually the tickets we had gotten were also very affordable. I believe that for 5 days a week I paid $129 per person and we got to enter into both Disney and Epcot Center as many times as you wanted to. I would rate my overall experience on a scale to 1 to 10 at a 9 only because of the fact that it was an exhausting experience with three young kids but everybody enjoyed their time immensely.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

We go every week. We eat at the Hard Rock. Food is better than the park's food and not much more money. Lots of A/C. Waiting for rides better than Disney there by far. Lines way less time than Disney also.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Don't go during Summer. Lines are too long and it is too hot. Best is mid to late September or April-May time frame. My recommendation is don't eat in the park because it is extremely expensive for mediocre food.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Rides were fantastic and only one tripped me up. 'Back to the Future'. The rocks in my head kept banging together. I guess, 'cause it wasn't fun for me... :(

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

The lines were quick and good check ups for security. All employees were helpful and around to help. The food was good and fresh. Lines were crazy for food but that is expected. We will definitely go again.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had a wonderful day. Lines weren't too long. Over a 7 hour period we were able to do all but two rides. We did not purchase any fast passes. We did purchase the food & drink option and felt the value was well worth it. We had a very hearty and great tasting lunch for about 1/2 the full price.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I visited the one in California... and being adjacent to Hollywood doesn't hurt. The film connections are strong for this one... and is a must see for any movie buffs visiting LA!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have wonderful experience all time when go Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida because is my prefer place for vacation every year with my family. I like all attraction.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My husband and I have visited Orlando, Florida Universal with our 10 grandchildren for the past 5 yrs. This year as we walked into the front gate. We were approached by a representative asking if we would like to apply for an American Express Card. She stated that if accepted we could choose between (2) Express Passes or dinner for 2. Since we are frequent visitors, we decided it would be a great idea for both of us to apply. Both my husband and I have credit scores of over 750 and after completing our applications both stated they were "in pending" status. Another gentleman beside us was clearly upset and stated he made over six figures, showed us his credit score of 830 and he was also "in pending" status. If approached at the gate DO NOT apply for the American Express Card. It is a hard hit on your credit score and a scam!!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have gone to Universal Studios many times growing up, my father would take us once a year. It was family oriented. We had very good memories. Again, It "was" family oriented. They actually cared that everyone enjoyed their visit and each ride made you feel like you were in a Happy Place. I recently visited on my Birthday on 7/14 and unfortunately, I have to say it was the worst experience. It's like they lost vision of being family oriented and fun and adventure.

#1 I took my son who is a football player in high school and of course his size is a little bigger than the average 100 lbs. We get on the Harry Potter and after they sit us all down, we are waiting for someone to push on the handlebar down on his seat. Out of nowhere, they told us to get off and asked us to follow one of the employees. They walked us all around and across everyone to sit him in a chair that is located halfway thru the entrance.

Still at this point we did not know what in world was happening. We get to this Chair and they had him sit to see if he fit. Of Course he fit, the lever/handlebar just needed to be pushed down by one of the family members since they could not touch the bar, but at this point my son face was of embarrassment and immediately I felt how uncomfortable he was humiliated after doing this in front of a long line of people. They said we were good to go and we got on the ride. Long story short, this cause my son to not get on any rides for the rest of night.

#2- If you haven't been aware the overpriced unlimited refill cups have a microchip, really not unlimited. If you drink your drink too fast, you have a time limit of when you can get your next refill. (By the way, did I mention we went on July 14th which was one of the hottest day in California.) So yes, I drank my Coca Cola in less than 5 minutes while eating an overpriced dry Cheeseburger and I literally had to purchase a large drink for $6.00 because my cup had a timer and I had to wait for my next refill or choke to death eating the overcooked dry Cheeseburger. Thanks Mel Diner- This is pretty sad when you make so much money. I don't mind spending my money in a place that is worth it but come on, this is just plain greedy.

Lastly, #3 - please don't lift your hands or wave when you are in the Walking Dead. Even though you are scared and jump up when they (dead people) pop up in your face. We went thru the whole inside attraction and when we are coming out an employee asked us to please wait. We waited, she was smiling and were like, "Okay. This might be our lucky day and won a prize." A second employee comes out and says, "Oh we're waiting for security." We were like, "What? Why?" We had no clue, what in the world was happening. The employee said they were waiting for the camera to be reviewed but in the meantime were accusing my husband had touched one of the inside actors.

We asked them to please review the security camera before they accused us and continuously told them he did not in any way touch any actor. Of course, the employee finally said "You waved your hands and you can't do that." Wow!!! Per the employee, gave us a warning and said we couldn't go back into the "The Walking dead Attraction" for the rest of day but at which point. I was just so disappointed and honestly I just never ever want to come back. We talked so much about bringing our grandkids who are 5 and 4 years old but we rather spend our money elsewhere. Not what it used to be, very sad.

Original review: July 20, 2018

After going through security at the entrance to the theme park, my wife set her purse on the ground for 5 minutes near an area attraction and was accused by security staff for having a possible bomb inside. She grabbed her purse and the security lady mentioned she was about to call the K-9 unit to see if there was a bomb! Unbelievable. And by the way, of course there was no bomb. Then next we were approached by more security telling us that the theme park was private property and they reserve the right to tell us to leave. We were not allowed to even photograph ourselves with our own photographer without being questioned about what it was for. This isn't the first time that something similar has happened to me. Will not visit Universal Studios again. I'm sure it's a great place for family, but your security team just ruins it for us.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Racial Profiling by security team at Universal Studios Orlando - We were walking out of Islands of Adventure on July 3, 2018 to go eat at Hard Rock Cafe. While walking my teenage son hands a Jurásic Park dinosaur to my 9 year old and ask, "Do you want this?" I was asking my son, "Do you want it so I can pay for it?" Next thing you know someone snatched the dinosaur from my son's hands and asked my teenager to go with him. Of course we got on the defense because he didn’t even identified himself and he tried to take my teenager from his arm. It is then that he says he was from security and that he allegedly seen my teenager take the dinosaur and take the tag off. I told him I was barely asking my son if he wanted it. That he was not stealing it but he didn’t care and he put me and my son in a small room and refused to let me talk to my kid.

I kept on trying to explain while he kept on screaming at my 15 yr old son that he stole it. He kept on threatening him to get arrested and I told him call the police because he didn’t do anything. I asked him for proof and he kept on saying for me to be quiet. He coherenced and threatened my son so much until he cause so much emotional distress that he admired to taking it. I continued to tell him he didn’t take it.

Next thing he made my son fill out some papers that I tried to read and he screamed at me to sit down and threaten me with the police. He took my son's ticket and ordered him to empty his pockets. My son had some necklaces he bought for his sisters and he asked him did you steal those too. I told him he bought those and AGAIN he screamed at me, "Let him answer." My son said, "I paid for those." But then again he threatened him and told him, "You know I can call the cops and they will believe me not you. Are you sure you paid for them," I told him yes he had money.

He follows by asking him, "Tell me the truth, does anyone in your family, your group put stuff in their bags. Their purse, be honest and you will not get in trouble or get arrested. This can go the nice or bad way". My son is 15 and he is a good kid that has never been in trouble! I told him, "Are you implying that we are ALL stealing." He again told me to be quiet or he could make it where my son would go to jail.

He ended up disappearing his ticket, he got a 200 fine for allegedly stealing a dinosaur that he had with him, with the tag. And he got expelled from Universal Studios for a year and we were ALL escorted out like criminals, surrounded by police and humiliated. I spent $4500 on this trip from Texas and it all ended over this rent a cop alleging that my son stole a 25 dollar dinosaur, and making us all to be thieves. All this I know was because we were Mexicans. I know that he violated my and my sons civil rights and he would threaten me every time I would try to talk to my minor son.

He took a picture of him without my consent, had him fill out papers that he did not understand and when I tried to read it he again threaten me. My son did not have to answer any questions without proof but he kept on screaming at him. He even kept a copy of my license without my consent. Worst experience ever and I will be filing a complaint and seeking legal counsel. I cannot believe this after so much money I spent!!!

Universal Studios Theme Park expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Universal Orlando opened in 1990 and began expanding in 1994 to become a multi-day vacation resort. It now includes two parks, Universal Studios Orlando and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, on over 200 acres.

• Rides: Both parks feature award-winning rides. Revenge of the Mummy has won the Golden Ticket award for Best Indoor Roller Coaster every year since 2008. For the past two years, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey has won the Best Dark Ride Golden Ticket.

• Halloween: Every September and October, Universal Studios Orlando hosts Halloween Horror Nights. During this event, the park is invaded by all kinds of monsters, and visitors can tour haunted houses. Universal has won the Golden Ticket for the Best Halloween Event every year since 2008.

• Harry Potter: Both Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure have Harry Potter attractions. Visitors can shop in Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes and then take the Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmeade.

• Pet friendly: Several of the on-site hotels at Universal Studios are pet friendly. There are designated areas for dog walking, and special arrangements can be made with housekeeping when pets are staying in visitors’ rooms. Pets must have all appropriate vaccinations.

• CityWalk: This venue offers visitors a variety of dining experiences that are suitable for all different types of travelers, from families with small children to couples looking for a romantic meal. It also has live entertainment, miniature golf, a movie theater and unique boutiques.

• Best for: Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure is great for families, young adults and solo travelers. Movie lovers will especially enjoy many of the attractions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs