3.9/5 (328 ratings)

About TiVo

TiVo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

A month ago, my wife and I finally had it with DirecTV customer service. We quit after 16 years. I figured TiVo had to be better! They are NOT. I ordered a Bolt VOX DVR and 5 minis for $1,200. Two of the remotes do not work. There is no manual or user guide to configure a remote or understand why it does what it does. You call up and the phone is answered by script kitties. Why is customer service soooo bad now? Why don't we get instructions or manual on how to use a product? Is simple helpful, customer service over the phone impossible in this day and age? UGH!!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Long time TiVo customer. I have a huge investment in Tivo lifetime service over multiple units. They no longer support Xfinity streaming, and have limited apps. More importantly company has no one to escalate a problem. I was sold a unit that was suppose to be over the air and cable card capable. It’s not. No customer loyalty and no explanation for equipment failure. So sad. This use to be a great company. Now you only speak to the Philippines.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I bought the first TiVo model when TiVo started way back. I often upgraded to newer models and just transferred my lifetime subscriptions. I now have a Bolt-1 and a Bolt-3 (most recently purchased unit). The Bolt-1 is still using the older version of menus (spouse's choice), and seems to work well most of the time, requiring only occasional reboots (once every month or two).

For the Bolt-3 I went ahead and switched to the advanced menu option. The software is much more buggy than I've ever seen for a TiVo. For example, if I delete a show's "folder" containing more than one episode, it usually hangs up for several minutes while we all get to watch a spinning blue circle, and the remote is useless during that time. This, of course, is NOT acceptable. This may be the last TiVo I ever buy, as it seems the overall quality of the company's products and customer service is on a significant and noticeable decline. Did someone say that Amazon is developing a comparable product? Hope so.

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2019

I wrote a bad review on October 24, 2019 which at the time was extremely accurate. Tivo has a lot of opportunities to improve their customer service. My frustration went on for 9 months with the bolt product not working with my equipment when other products like Roku worked fine. I am happy to report that TiVo's management team got involved and solved my issue! I only wish this could have been resolved through normal customer service channels. Bottom line the equipment works as expected and I now give them 5 stars for taking care of a loyal customer! Thank you TiVo management team!!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This company ignores its customers and sells products which they know are defective. I purchased a Bolt and have nothing but problems. When one calls their CS they are not helpful and unwilling to help. Instead, they tell you lies and make fake promises. I have had several calls to their executive CS people who again make promises but fail to deliver. Unfortunately, I have 4 other TIVO receivers so I can't just abandon them. BEWARE before you purchase any products from this company. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TIVO PRODUCT....

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

When installed 18 months ago, I thought TiVo was the best. One remote, all the apps, great interface and DVR. I bought lifetime service. I was so impressed. Today it’s gone. Three tuner failures. Those are a bummer but the worst is the apps like Netflix freeze and stop requiring getting the other remote and having the smart tv do it. Sometimes regular TV freezes. Customer service gives the same fixes and the stuff still doesn’t work. (Unplug everything and restart, force connect to TiVo server). Their tracking system is great for complaints. I see all the times I have called or been assisted. I finally gave up. Installed Apple TV on older smart TVs and use the newer smart tv by themselves. I like Apple best although no DVR. Life is way too short to deal with TiVo.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have been a customer for almost 20 years. I had a tuner fail in my 2-year-old unit and they fought me on the failure. My cable provider spent 20 hours at my house troubleshooting their signal and service for no reason in order to meet TiVo's needs in order to replace the unit. After replacing the unit, the new one had a video output failure after 3 hours of use. That was 2 weeks ago. I called and was assured my new unit would ship to arrive in 3-5 business days. After a week I called to see what was going on and it hadn't shipped. They blamed me, supposedly fixed the issue and said a new unit would be expedited and I would have it in 2 business days, that was 5 days ago. I contacted them again today to learn it hasn't shipped.

The rep couldn't provide me info and said someone would follow up via email today, I doubt it will happen. Even worse I'm paying for TiVo and cable and cannot use them because this is my only interface, they won't issue me credit in any way and I have no idea when this will be resolved. In the age of "cable-cutting", it is a matter of time (a short amount in my opinion) before Tivo goes away if they cannot get this act together.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I cancelled my account with TiVo after 15 or so years. When I talked to the CSR she said it would cost me $75.00 to cancel. After we had a heart to heart and she cleared it with her supervisor she came back saying there would be no charge and appreciated all the years of me being a TIVO client. Today my Amex statement shows a $75.00 pending charge. Short term memory on their part, not sure but I will dispute it. It is only a matter of time before TIVO is out of business.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My original Bolt DVR had a hard disk failure after being used for two years. I was told to return it, and I bought a refurbished unit from TiVo for $50. To make a long story short, that first refurbished unit didn't work, and over time I was given two additional refurbished Bolt units which also didn't work. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED STUFF FROM TIVO! I ended up buying a new TiVo Bolt through Amazon. After reading all the negative postings here, I hope it performs! I have a feeling this company is going down the tubes. Someone over there is smoking too much weed.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have had TiVo for over 20 years. As of mid-June, their app to watch On Demand programming through Comcast/Xfinity has expired. The message indicates it was old and never updated. With Comcast being one of the largest providers of cable tv in the country, I am amazed TiVo allowed it to occur, and incredibly frustrated that it's not resolved. I was told it would be resolved by June 30. I just called support again, and they say I should have never been told that, they have no idea if it will ever work again.

I pay $200/month for cable, and watch On Demand constantly. To not be able to access it because TiVo never bothered to keep the app up to date is unacceptable, irresponsible and very poor planning on TiVo's part. I paid money to watch a show last night via Prime, which I could have gotten for free from Comcast. I just upgraded to a TiVo Bolt, spent a lot of money on it, now can't even use if for the primary reason I bought it. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We were planning a trip to Europe and my husband wanted to watch his favorite sports so we called TiVo and others to see if they had a product that would allow us to record a program and then access it via the internet from overseas. The salesperson at TiVo assured me that their product allowed us to playback recorded programs from anywhere. NOT TRUE. It only allows playback from within the residence where TiVo is installed.

We spent $250 on the box plus almost $16/month for the service that was sold on a false promise. That wasn't bad enough but the service and product are not very good. We were never able to sync our TV to the TiVo remote despite several phone calls to customer service. Service went down many times requiring us to restart completely with Cable provider. After 10 months we gave up and switched to a DVR provided by Spectrum which is fabulous. Tried to cancel and they will charge us $90 for cancelling before the year is up. Will therefore pay for two more months of lousy service, then cancel and be free of this lousy product.

Original review: June 19, 2019

05/14/19 NO STARS have been waiting on a $1000+ refund that is WAY overdue - yet, they have all of their equipment... DO NOT order with them if you plan on counting on their refund. Horrible, now I am still with DirecTV. Time to get only streaming.... TiVo, Inc. Response. 05/21/2019 TiVo has worked with the customer to resolve the above inquiry. TiVo and the customer have reached an agreement which suits both parties and the customer has agreed that the matter is resolved to her satisfaction. TiVo considers this inquiry to be closed. Customer Response. 05/21/2019. They called me AFTER I filed reviews - ONLY then... Still waiting on the rest of my refund. Not RESOLVED until that is credited to my account! TiVo should not consider this inquiry to be "CLOSED" until they reimburse me for items they are in possession. It is not CLOSED.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been a TiVo customer for over a decade. I have 8 TiVo devices in my home. Within my home I’m able to watch content from one TiVo DVR on another one. When I leave home on vacation, I set up out-of-home streaming on my iPad. This works for a day or two, although often the TiVo app requires me to setup again. After a few of these repeat set-up for out-of-home streaming, the app gets hung up as soon as the app is launched. And it is not just slow, as I’ve let it run for hours with no success.

I just now chatted with someone at TiVo. Her advice was to set up out-of-home streaming the next time I am home. She was not smart enough to understand that this issue happens all the time with the app, and that her solution is not satisfactory as it works for only a day or two. I have also received a message from the TiVo app on other recent vacations that TiVo is shutting my access down to my TiVo DVRs because it thinks I have exceeded the number of devices accessing my DVRs. This simply is not true as I only access the content from one iPad. The app often requires me to reset the out-of-home streaming while out of home, which it allows me to do a few times. Their software must assume each time I do this it must be a new device. I really am fed up with TiVo. I suggest potential customers find another way to stream content while away from home.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 10 years, a lot of my Tivo boxes are obsolete except my Tivo Bold. This company was so good before and now the competitions pass them. 99% of the time I cannot stream my shows.... Contacted them many times and stuck with the same issue. No difference if I’m home with my WIFI or out at my office streaming is not good. I’m using an iPad pro and everything disconnects in the middle of a show and I need to reconnect the streaming device. This device Bolt system is using the same network and I give 1/2 star. I’m just frustrated.... This is going on or more than 4 months.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello, I would like to start by saying that TiVo customer service is great. I understand that there are issues that are out of their control such as defective models. I don't have the TiVo Bolt, but I haven't heard good things about it. I don't like the triangular box casing. It seems to me that they focused on extras like voice controlled remote. It is nice feature, but I rather have a functional menu and a high quality, long lasting DVR box.

I have a Roamio, Roamio Plus, 2 Roamio Pros, and 2 TiVo Minis. Roamio Pro is the best one yet. It has a 3Tb hard drive, 6 tuners and is great for streaming and transferring recordings to my laptop. Highly recommended!! Roamio Plus is almost the same as the Pro, except, the hard drive is 1Tb. I have had some issues with this model, and I've heard that that's common with the Plus. Things like restarting the box by itself, freezing image, spotty connectivity, happen often apparently. Not really recommended! Roamio is excellent too. It has four tuners and it comes with a 500Gb hard drive, that I upgraded to 3Tb quite easily. The only problem that I encountered so far with this Basic Model is that I can't transfer recordings to my laptop anymore, but it is not a deal breaker. Highly recommended!

TiVo minis. The older model, I haven't tried the Vox Mini. They work pretty good, but they lose connection every so often. You can go back to TiVo Central and start watching your recording again, but it is still annoying depending on your patience level. Also streaming platforms like Hulu don't work well with this model I imagine due to the limitations of the processor. You can still access the other TiVo devices and watch those shows. I recommend it with reservation.

I would to address some issues that customers have experienced. The new update code name HYDRA makes the user interface faster, but I don't think is worth the trouble of losing functionality of the back directional button ◀️. Also, it doesn't look that much better. Thankfully, when I access that box through any of the other boxes that haven't been updated to Hydra, it shows up with the normal user interface and do what I want to just the same. There is always the option of resetting the box to default settings, but the recordings will be erased and the guide too.

At first, setting up the any TiVo box in your home, will take some time and patience. Spectrum cable customer service agents helped me to get each box started but it took a long time. Make sure you have a proper cable connection, good internet connections with Ethernet cables for best results. Moca is supposed to work as well, but I have only used Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi. One time, I had a bad Cable card and a bad cable adapter box. Cable adapters come with the cable card for better signal reception. Once you get it going, it is great. I wish premium channels and on demand channels worked through the cable card, but I can access those through the spectrum app on my Roku so it is not that big a deal.

A customer said that the lifetime service on his Series 3 TiVo was somehow closed and deactivated. That sounds like a nightmare and I hope that there was a way to reinstate the account. I don't wish that experience to anyone. All in all I recommend the TiVo PRO with lifetime service. The customer service reps that I've dealt with were humble and very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Not sure if the makers really think about their updates. The last update is a joke. Why would you take away something that took 1 button click and now make it 4 clicks. It's so frustrating. Just to play a recorded show is now 4 clicks. Sh.. Get your collective heads out of your butts and ask your consumers what they think before you force it on us.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Let me start by saying that I love TiVo products and heretofore have never had problems with technical support. Even this time the support itself was fine. My problem is with the monies that I had to commit to receive a replacement for a defective TiVo Mini VOX. I have had a Mini VOX for a little over a year when it failed. (Wouldn't you know - just a couple of weeks out of warranty!) Anyway, I called tech support and, after a few tests they confirmed that it was the TiVo that had failed and not some other part of my setup. So we arranged for a discounted replacement. In order to secure this I was charged up front for the replacement ($51) for the replacement + $190 for deposit in case I did not return the defective unit. The $190 is the price for a complete system including manuals, power supply, and remote control in addition to the TiVo itself (actually $180 at Best Buy).

What I received from them was just the TiVo itself - and a refurbished unit to boot. OK, so I get the $190 back... in a couple of weeks... but why did I have to lay down monies for two systems - the $50 for the refurb they were sending plus $190 for a complete new system? Adding salt into the wound, the refurb they sent me was dead on arrival!!! I am now waiting for a second replacement (fortunately they did not hit me up for another deposit). Whenever I have had to return merchandise under these conditions in the past, the vendor takes my credit card number with the understanding that If I do not return the defect unit being replaced I will be charged the full amount for the replacement.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is an absolutely corrupt company... They lied to me repeatedly and do not stand behind their word (there are many recordings they have of my conversation with them). My TiVO Bolt went bad after 20 days of use and was told I will receive a replacement. They never did after being promised 3 times. Nobody at the company has accountability and/or bears any responsibility. Lost $300 buying this defective unit but I already made up my mind to never touch a TiVO again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the TiVo OTA. The first one I received worked but the program guide was way off from what the stations had on them. I called them and wrote several emails giving them all the station info they requested. They did absolutely nothing about it. The DVR started making noise after about 2 1/2 months. I returned it and they sent me another one. Same program guide problems. I called them and wrote them 3 more emails with all the information about the station identification and what was really on the channel. They did nothing about it. About a year after I bought it, they still had not addressed even one of the program guide problems. Then I started losing channels.

After about 3 weeks from when the channels quit working I had about one third of the original channels that I started out with. The channel guide was off on 90% of the channels. I tried to get my money back and all I got from the representatives was the runaround. Instead of sending my money back they kept replacing the dvr. When I sent the last dvr back I also returned the power cord and remote. They sent me a replacement dvr but no power cord or remote and said I could try to sell it on eBay. I called them again and they sent me a return label and said they would refund my money. I still haven't gotten a refund. They have my money and all of their equipment.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

"Just got to thinking. Someone would of had to have access or should of in order for changes to be done. I have lived alone for 46 of the 52 months I've owned this box..." Okay this is more or less just me venting. I bought a TiVo series 3 off of eBay Nov. 2014. This was a lifetime subscription that I paid good money for. I have the service transferred into my name. I have it added to cable account at previous address. Works no problems for 6 months. I move. Start a new cable account and use Tivo box periodically for next two years. I cut the cord on cable and box up TiVo box.

A year or so later (present time) Jan. 1 2019 unbox TiVo for new cable service. At which time get a message that the account has been closed. I did not close the account so I think to myself 'how did this happen?' Well have you guys ever made a phone call into a customer service center and get told contradictory statements by different reps. I talked to 3 different people and spent close to 2 1/2 hours on the phone today. I went a different route on third call and got a girl (MISH) who was trying her best to help. Apparently, somehow in January, 2017 the box (that I own and have always had in my possession) got transferred into someone else's name in essence making them the new account holder. Unbeknownst to me, I was still using the box and it was working fine. Sometime before June however I boxed the TiVo up for storage.

According to tech support and not customer service the box was canceled somehow by this new mysterious third owner. Now they are wanting to charge me a discounted fee of $300 and something dollars to reactivate a box (that has already been paid for a lifetime subscription). Contradicting what rep #2 with customer care told me was impossible to activate said box. Which, by the way, contradicted what rep #1 told me. This is corporate bullying of customers. They are wanting me to pay to reactivate a service that had already been paid for because (input sarcasm) I transferred my box to another person and then they canceled the box. That doesn't even make sense. It's not a logical argument.

This box was paid for and not being charged a monthly service fee. This is the type of stuff these big companies get away with that should be punished for... They'll always find a way to get off the hook... Shame, shame, and more shame to all who practice these malevolent ethics. Reason of review: Poor customer service. Monetary Loss: $250. I liked: Service while it worked. I didn't like: Having a working box that was canceled without my permission.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The worst website ever. No utility for even recording a TV show. Useless navigation - designed to evade. Used to be easy to schedule a recording - phone or PC. Now, simply not available and no one cares. Okay, we don't either!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

After almost a year of enjoying a TiVo Bolt it stopped working. I contacted customer service and was sent a replacement which didn’t work! I contacted them and they sent another unit! It didn’t work either! Each time it’s stuck in the “loading information” loop and can’t find my ZIP code. They have replaced it FOUR times! TiVo blames my ISP (HughesNet). HughesNet has bent over backwards to help me without any luck. I now have a unless white box with a one-year subscription! I HATE TiVo.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a new TIVO OTA model and they require a one year MINIMUM subscription! After returning after 2 days as did not meet my needs with DirecTV Now I still got stuck w/ $50 cancellation fee! Be aware of this if you want to just try!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was one of the first Tivo users when it initially appeared in the marketplace. It was a great product, as were follow-up products until my most recent purchase - the Bolt. My unit has to be re-booted over and over or I can get access to my "apps". Calls to Customer Support have been beyond frustrating - as described in many of the other reviews. They make the same useless suggestions over and over. And no matter how often I ask to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold, only to return with no supervisor available, but they have a new useless "fix" to try over and over. Finally the customer service rep said that a supervisor would call me. That did not happen. My Bolt is continuing to only sporadically allow me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. After reading all these reviews, I'm finished with TiVo and will return to my cable provider for these services. I only hope I will be able to cancel my subscription without hassle.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Please do NOT buy Tivo products or continue to invest in Tivo products... Instead wait for alternative solution from Amazon to be announced by the end of year 2018. I have 1 x Tivo Roamio ($600 hardware and $500 lifetime subscription) and 6 x Tivo Minis ($150 ea.) for 6 years now. The product was the best solution for me at the time but the subscription cost, poor software, poor service has caused me nothing but heartache since. I did their latest software update and it caused my box to start rebooting every 1-5 min.

Their support is poorly trained and extremely frustrating to deal with... asking me to troubleshoot and test every cable and even the location to prove to them that their box is rebooting. I have had 3 RMAs so far and each time I have deal with their support it is very taxing. The first RMA had a bad Coax Connector (no Cable signal detected), the second took a dump after doing the required OS upgrade and won't start up. I have asked and offered to pay for a discounted upgrade to a newer piece of hardware twice and both times they have said if I want a newer box that I must pay full retail and buy another lifetime subscription at the tune of another $1,200. I am done, Tivo is on the way out, hold off and wait for an Amazon, Google, or Apple alternative DVR because this one is not worth it anymore.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought new Tivo and less than a year, it shut down and would not get past the "just a few minutes more" reboot cycle. I called Tivo. They had me try a different outlet!? Really? It comes on, and reboots, how can that be the problem? Roku, Blu Ray, Wii, tuning adapter, sound bar, television, and Logitech Harmony control hub are working from same power strip, UPS and power conditioner. Their answer was a bad hard drive and they were going to replace the Tivo Bolt. They then wanted to charge me an advance replacement fee, so I opted to send in Tivo and have them ship the replacement. I received replacement within one week and it too failed within one month, with same symptoms. I had to go through their same ridiculous ritual of plugging Tivo directly into an outlet. So, sent Tivo back and received another replacement.

It failed within one month. Repeated ritual and this time they sent power cord only. I waited 2 weeks, received power cord and called them back because Tivo still didn't work. Went through ritual, above, again and they determined Tivo was defective-- "probably the hard drive has failed." Hmmm, imagine that! Sent Tivo back, received replacement. It failed today, after a little over a month. Went through ritual above and agent told me, "it is impossible for all of these Tivo units to fail like this." She either just called me a liar, or insinuated that I was abusing Tivo. I told the agent that I had 30 years of technical support experience, had multiple technical certifications and could easily gut the Tivo box and replace the faulty hard drive, if I wished, but I very interested to see just how many Tivo devices they would replace before they actually sent a working unit.

She didn't think it was funny and I wasn't trying to be funny. I told her that I was not amused to be called a liar and that I certainly wasn't abusing Tivo. I kept it dust free, as I do all of my electronics. My UPS, power conditioner, and power strip together cost 5x the cost of the Tivo Bolt. I told her that those three devices are also plugged into a surge protected, double grounded outlet, and my seven other devices, sharing that outlet have never had a problem. In fact, that power strip has the most stable and clean power in my whole home. I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she refused. I insisted and she reluctantly connected me to supervisor.

The supervisor went through the above ritual of plugging directly into outlet, just for kicks. I did, and Tivo failed, as expected. I am now about to print the return label. I kept the last shipment box because I knew I'd be replacing Tivo soon. This is the last time. After the next failure, probably next month, I will just replace the hard drive, myself and save myself the humiliation of being called a liar and idiot.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

TIVO is garbage. I purchased the new TiVo BOLT VOX and DVR annual service. Both are ungodly prices to spend on crap. Every way possible TIVO is lacking and really makes me mad then crazy mad. Let’s break down each of the ways TIVO lacks anything to offer. 1) Failure of "Voice search" to find my DVR recordings of movies. TIVO charges me an annual fee to record movies. OK this is why I have TIVO. In addition to TIVO, I pay for COX to record movies on HBO and Showtime, etc. But when I search for my recordings using their voice search on the remote, TIVO doesn't list what I recorded. Instead, TIVO lists movies to purchase on Prime, Voodoo, and Hulu.

2) Failure to play my recorded movies. I know that I recorded this specific movie because I recorded it and I watched the recorded movie last month. So I search my list of recorded movies manually. In the list, I see my recording. I see that I have already watched that recording. But I cannot access my recording. I can only see it. When I click on it, the message says that there are no more tuners available, would I prefer to watch a recording. Not only do I have all of my tuners available, but I am trying to watch something I have previously recorded and watched. What am I paying for TIVO? Hello anyone there? TIVO!!! Hello TIVO??? TIVO!!! Try another service. I loved DirecTV until they screwed me on my bill. Their DVR service was great. So was DirecTV's Remote.

3) The TIVO remote sucks in every way that a remote can suck. Shape sucks, functions suck, search sucks, waiting or lag time to do something sucks. TIVO!!! I suggest trying any other service and then cut the cord before going to TIVO and paying for the equipment up front and then paying for their service because they suck the money from your wallet for nothing in return. 4) Oh! The skip commercial function sucks too. Inconsistently available for programs. Same program, sometimes the skip is there, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why do they advertise the skip function. That should be against the law for deceptive advertising. When skip is available it doesn’t always work correctly. Run from TIVO.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Received an email that my TIVO was on a list for deactivation, but, I was assured that I would NOT be deactivated. Well, I was! I have a Lifetime on a Premier. I've called several times, and get the run-around that it will take 3-5 days to activate it. I have a bad feeling that they are trying to get me to buy another DVR product because I'm on Lifetime. They don't make money on us Lifetime members.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

This company SUCKS! They send me emails saying they will discontinue my service because I supposedly opted into some plan that will let them dis-honor my lifetime service contract?? WTH would anybody do that?? The customer service is the WORST!! Just been on hold for 30 minutes and still no one answered the phone!! The webpage sucks, there's no account information to explain why they sent me this email, the email doesn't contain ANY contact info, and the chat function on the website doesn't work!! They are the worst!! NEVER buy anything from this con artist company!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Bought a new Roamio OTA months ago, within 2.5 months fan noise level was awful, TiVo replaced new unit with refurbished. Fast forward 7 months, fan noise was back. TiVo held firm they were not going to work with me regarding fan and warranty because it was after 90 days. 90 days??? Most manufacturers have a 1 year warranty. I paid TiVo to replace unit again, I have a feeling this is going to go around and around. If the fan goes out so quickly, either the fans are poorly constructed, or design of cooling system sucks. Either way, TiVo in my opinion has a warranty policy that isn't built for the consumer, it's built for the company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

There was a time when TiVo was fair to the consumer but has since abandoned that idea or any sense of decency. A little more than two weeks ago, my TiVo was suddenly and inexplicably interrupted - while I was watching a program. The picture was moved to the top right of the screen while the majority of the screen was covered with TiVo's menu. When I attempted to back out of the menu and return the picture to full screen mode, I couldn’t. Then, the TiVo went to restart mode and the picture would go back to the same position up in the top right corner of the screen; then kept repeating the process of restarting over and over. I turned my television off. I had other things to attend to; so when I finally had a small window of time, I called TiVo and spoke with tech support but then realized assistance may take longer than I anticipated due to a language barrier. So, I was given a reference number to use when I called again.

Fast forward a few days later. I called Tech support but this time instead of offering to fix the problem, I was told I need to buy a newer model. I said, "No thanks" since I was told initially offered tech assistance with the box I currently have. I called once more, hoping I would get an honest person to assist me - to no avail. More than two weeks later I receive an email telling me that my payment was past due (on an non-working TiVo box.) So, I decided to call to see if I could get tech support help, once again. I was then told I had to pay the subscription fee prior to receiving tech support. Keeping in mind that I had been told in a prior call that I needed a new box. They were insistent that I pay first before receiving tech support, which may or may not work.

So, my feeling at this time is that I was being blackmailed into either buying a new box, retaining service on an older box which I purchased six years ago that was working perfectly fine until TiVo, intentionally/unintentionally created technical problems when they tried upgrading, without notice, as I was watching a program, to upsell me. In fact, I hadn't used my TiVo in two years and re-subscribed a few months. My box is fine. TiVo is trying to pull a fast one.

It’s unfortunate what TiVo has become and with so much competition available. Amazon becoming a major in this space. Finally, customer service was so much easier to communicate with and issues were resolved in a matter of 30 minutes. I ended up canceling a service that was great, until recently. Very sad for America. Bring CS back to America; stop deceptive practices.

TiVo Company Information