Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

TiVo Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been a TiVo customer for over a decade. I have 8 TiVo devices in my home. Within my home I’m able to watch content from one TiVo DVR on another one. When I leave home on vacation, I set up out-of-home streaming on my iPad. This works for a day or two, although often the TiVo app requires me to setup again. After a few of these repeat set-up for out-of-home streaming, the app gets hung up as soon as the app is launched. And it is not just slow, as I’ve let it run for hours with no success.

I just now chatted with someone at TiVo. Her advice was to set up out-of-home streaming the next time I am home. She was not smart enough to understand that this issue happens all the time with the app, and that her solution is not satisfactory as it works for only a day or two. I have also received a message from the TiVo app on other recent vacations that TiVo is shutting my access down to my TiVo DVRs because it thinks I have exceeded the number of devices accessing my DVRs. This simply is not true as I only access the content from one iPad. The app often requires me to reset the out-of-home streaming while out of home, which it allows me to do a few times. Their software must assume each time I do this it must be a new device. I really am fed up with TiVo. I suggest potential customers find another way to stream content while away from home.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 10 years, a lot of my Tivo boxes are obsolete except my Tivo Bold. This company was so good before and now the competitions pass them. 99% of the time I cannot stream my shows.... Contacted them many times and stuck with the same issue. No difference if I’m home with my WIFI or out at my office streaming is not good. I’m using an iPad pro and everything disconnects in the middle of a show and I need to reconnect the streaming device. This device Bolt system is using the same network and I give 1/2 star. I’m just frustrated.... This is going on or more than 4 months.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello, I would like to start by saying that TiVo customer service is great. I understand that there are issues that are out of their control such as defective models. I don't have the TiVo Bolt, but I haven't heard good things about it. I don't like the triangular box casing. It seems to me that they focused on extras like voice controlled remote. It is nice feature, but I rather have a functional menu and a high quality, long lasting DVR box.

I have a Roamio, Roamio Plus, 2 Roamio Pros, and 2 TiVo Minis. Roamio Pro is the best one yet. It has a 3Tb hard drive, 6 tuners and is great for streaming and transferring recordings to my laptop. Highly recommended!! Roamio Plus is almost the same as the Pro, except, the hard drive is 1Tb. I have had some issues with this model, and I've heard that that's common with the Plus. Things like restarting the box by itself, freezing image, spotty connectivity, happen often apparently. Not really recommended! Roamio is excellent too. It has four tuners and it comes with a 500Gb hard drive, that I upgraded to 3Tb quite easily. The only problem that I encountered so far with this Basic Model is that I can't transfer recordings to my laptop anymore, but it is not a deal breaker. Highly recommended!

TiVo minis. The older model, I haven't tried the Vox Mini. They work pretty good, but they lose connection every so often. You can go back to TiVo Central and start watching your recording again, but it is still annoying depending on your patience level. Also streaming platforms like Hulu don't work well with this model I imagine due to the limitations of the processor. You can still access the other TiVo devices and watch those shows. I recommend it with reservation.

I would to address some issues that customers have experienced. The new update code name HYDRA makes the user interface faster, but I don't think is worth the trouble of losing functionality of the back directional button ◀️. Also, it doesn't look that much better. Thankfully, when I access that box through any of the other boxes that haven't been updated to Hydra, it shows up with the normal user interface and do what I want to just the same. There is always the option of resetting the box to default settings, but the recordings will be erased and the guide too.

At first, setting up the any TiVo box in your home, will take some time and patience. Spectrum cable customer service agents helped me to get each box started but it took a long time. Make sure you have a proper cable connection, good internet connections with Ethernet cables for best results. Moca is supposed to work as well, but I have only used Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi. One time, I had a bad Cable card and a bad cable adapter box. Cable adapters come with the cable card for better signal reception. Once you get it going, it is great. I wish premium channels and on demand channels worked through the cable card, but I can access those through the spectrum app on my Roku so it is not that big a deal.

A customer said that the lifetime service on his Series 3 TiVo was somehow closed and deactivated. That sounds like a nightmare and I hope that there was a way to reinstate the account. I don't wish that experience to anyone. All in all I recommend the TiVo PRO with lifetime service. The customer service reps that I've dealt with were humble and very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Not sure if the makers really think about their updates. The last update is a joke. Why would you take away something that took 1 button click and now make it 4 clicks. It's so frustrating. Just to play a recorded show is now 4 clicks. Sh.. Get your collective heads out of your butts and ask your consumers what they think before you force it on us.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Let me start by saying that I love TiVo products and heretofore have never had problems with technical support. Even this time the support itself was fine. My problem is with the monies that I had to commit to receive a replacement for a defective TiVo Mini VOX. I have had a Mini VOX for a little over a year when it failed. (Wouldn't you know - just a couple of weeks out of warranty!) Anyway, I called tech support and, after a few tests they confirmed that it was the TiVo that had failed and not some other part of my setup. So we arranged for a discounted replacement. In order to secure this I was charged up front for the replacement ($51) for the replacement + $190 for deposit in case I did not return the defective unit. The $190 is the price for a complete system including manuals, power supply, and remote control in addition to the TiVo itself (actually $180 at Best Buy).

What I received from them was just the TiVo itself - and a refurbished unit to boot. OK, so I get the $190 back... in a couple of weeks... but why did I have to lay down monies for two systems - the $50 for the refurb they were sending plus $190 for a complete new system? Adding salt into the wound, the refurb they sent me was dead on arrival!!! I am now waiting for a second replacement (fortunately they did not hit me up for another deposit). Whenever I have had to return merchandise under these conditions in the past, the vendor takes my credit card number with the understanding that If I do not return the defect unit being replaced I will be charged the full amount for the replacement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is an absolutely corrupt company... They lied to me repeatedly and do not stand behind their word (there are many recordings they have of my conversation with them). My TiVO Bolt went bad after 20 days of use and was told I will receive a replacement. They never did after being promised 3 times. Nobody at the company has accountability and/or bears any responsibility. Lost $300 buying this defective unit but I already made up my mind to never touch a TiVO again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the TiVo OTA. The first one I received worked but the program guide was way off from what the stations had on them. I called them and wrote several emails giving them all the station info they requested. They did absolutely nothing about it. The DVR started making noise after about 2 1/2 months. I returned it and they sent me another one. Same program guide problems. I called them and wrote them 3 more emails with all the information about the station identification and what was really on the channel. They did nothing about it. About a year after I bought it, they still had not addressed even one of the program guide problems. Then I started losing channels.

After about 3 weeks from when the channels quit working I had about one third of the original channels that I started out with. The channel guide was off on 90% of the channels. I tried to get my money back and all I got from the representatives was the runaround. Instead of sending my money back they kept replacing the dvr. When I sent the last dvr back I also returned the power cord and remote. They sent me a replacement dvr but no power cord or remote and said I could try to sell it on eBay. I called them again and they sent me a return label and said they would refund my money. I still haven't gotten a refund. They have my money and all of their equipment.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

"Just got to thinking. Someone would of had to have access or should of in order for changes to be done. I have lived alone for 46 of the 52 months I've owned this box..." Okay this is more or less just me venting. I bought a TiVo series 3 off of eBay Nov. 2014. This was a lifetime subscription that I paid good money for. I have the service transferred into my name. I have it added to cable account at previous address. Works no problems for 6 months. I move. Start a new cable account and use Tivo box periodically for next two years. I cut the cord on cable and box up TiVo box.

A year or so later (present time) Jan. 1 2019 unbox TiVo for new cable service. At which time get a message that the account has been closed. I did not close the account so I think to myself 'how did this happen?' Well have you guys ever made a phone call into a customer service center and get told contradictory statements by different reps. I talked to 3 different people and spent close to 2 1/2 hours on the phone today. I went a different route on third call and got a girl (MISH) who was trying her best to help. Apparently, somehow in January, 2017 the box (that I own and have always had in my possession) got transferred into someone else's name in essence making them the new account holder. Unbeknownst to me, I was still using the box and it was working fine. Sometime before June however I boxed the TiVo up for storage.

According to tech support and not customer service the box was canceled somehow by this new mysterious third owner. Now they are wanting to charge me a discounted fee of $300 and something dollars to reactivate a box (that has already been paid for a lifetime subscription). Contradicting what rep #2 with customer care told me was impossible to activate said box. Which, by the way, contradicted what rep #1 told me. This is corporate bullying of customers. They are wanting me to pay to reactivate a service that had already been paid for because (input sarcasm) I transferred my box to another person and then they canceled the box. That doesn't even make sense. It's not a logical argument.

This box was paid for and not being charged a monthly service fee. This is the type of stuff these big companies get away with that should be punished for... They'll always find a way to get off the hook... Shame, shame, and more shame to all who practice these malevolent ethics. Reason of review: Poor customer service. Monetary Loss: $250. I liked: Service while it worked. I didn't like: Having a working box that was canceled without my permission.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The worst website ever. No utility for even recording a TV show. Useless navigation - designed to evade. Used to be easy to schedule a recording - phone or PC. Now, simply not available and no one cares. Okay, we don't either!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

After almost a year of enjoying a TiVo Bolt it stopped working. I contacted customer service and was sent a replacement which didn’t work! I contacted them and they sent another unit! It didn’t work either! Each time it’s stuck in the “loading information” loop and can’t find my ZIP code. They have replaced it FOUR times! TiVo blames my ISP (HughesNet). HughesNet has bent over backwards to help me without any luck. I now have a unless white box with a one-year subscription! I HATE TiVo.

TiVo Company Information