TiVo

Stars Rating

• 26%
  • 74%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
    Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Nov. 24, 2019

TiVo sales sold me the wrong BOLT DVR for my needs (OTA). I found out the same day that I needed the BOLT VOX. I called them within 24 hours and they would not do a refund of the BOLT OTA, they said I needed to order the BOLT VOX separately. They promised they would issue a refund for the BOLT OTA. No refund received. Every time I call they say they are working on issuing my refund. So far I am sorry I ever got involved with TiVo. The technicians know nothing about the problems you encounter and just make things up and lie about everything. Same with customer service, lies and more lies. Going to my credit card company and hope they will cover my loss with TiVo.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Nov. 20, 2019

On Friday November 15 my TiVo system stopped working correctly. When I tried to view a recording it just went to a grey screen. I power cycled and also deleted many recordings trying to get the system to work thinking it was having a hard time reading the disk even though the unity was less than a year old. Then it started doing unfamiliar things like showing commercials instead of my recorded shows. Finally I realized when I tried to watch a recording sometime it would just go to a logo page and sit there and other times it would play a commercial. But before realizing what was happening I deleted most of my recording and recorded settings.

It is unforgivable that TiVo decided to just start forcing consumers that paid hundreds of dollars for their equipment and a monthly subscription fee to be forced to watch advertising and create severe latency before the commercial started and sometimes it didn't start at all, without as much a informing me the customer what they were forcing me to do without consent. What is an even bigger slap in the face is they renewed my annual subscription service on the Sunday following their Friday change. For behavior like this I will never trust TiVo again and the minute a replacement solution is available my TiVo will be thrown into the trash. Shame on them for doing something so intrusive and inappropriate.

Customer ServicePriceReliability

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2019

Updated on 01/02/2020: In discussions with Lez from the higher level customer support department, he said that he could not give me the additional year of service (value $150) that I requested as compensation for the hours I lost because of their poor tech support and the expense incurred following their instructions. Instead, he offered to issue another $30 credit to my card. I wasn't satisfied, but I accepted. To date (a month+ later), I haven't seen that additional $30. I can't fathom a company that does business like this. Losing a multi-decade customer over the pittance it would have taken to make me happy. I think Tivo needs a serious reboot.

Original review: I purchased an Edge to replace my Bolt in order to get UHD and HDR. After setup, the Netflix app on the Edge didn't work (Prime and others apps did work, as did the Netflix app on my Smart TV). After almost an hour with Tivo Tech Support (repeating the same troubleshooting steps over and over) they said they would send me a replacement. The replacement had exactly the same problem. By this time the issue had been escalated to more senior techs. Their solutions were to upgrade my HDMI cable or replace my receiver. I went out and spent $58 on a the latest and best HDMI cable. Still didn't work. And replacing my brand new Marantz receiver made no sense. So, I contacted Marantz. Within 20 minutes, with a few setting changes, I was able to get Netflix on my Edge.

I wrote an email to Customer Service suggesting that Tivo Tech Support connect with the major receiver brands to determine which setting were necessary to be compatible with Tivo's products. Also, to compensate me for the hours and money I spend on this issue, I asked for a free 1 year extension to my Tivo subscription. Customer Service referred me back to Tech Support who referred me back to Customer Service. In the end, they showed little interest in my suggestion and gave me a $30 dollar refund. I've been a Tivo customer since the very beginning of the company. And I worked this problem through with them calmly and in good faith. Disappointing that in the end they didn't seem to care.

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2019

This unit has gone backwards in technology. There are so many keystrokes required to do everything. The user interface is horrible. When I "Create a One Pass" it cuts of the last minute of the show. I've gone back and added 1 minute to the end time....it still cuts it off. I've added 5 minutes and it still cuts it off. Tivo has added a commercial (Duncan Donuts, Maytag) at the beginning of every recording before you they allow you to watch it. For no reason it switches from normal watching to the "Account / System Info" page. They've added "TiVo+" with THEIR suggestions that you can't get rid of.

They've inserted their own channels into YOUR GUIDE that you can't get rid of (Puddle Jumper - A collection of children's series, Fail Army, Music Babble to name a few). It just (this second) changed the from a recording I was watching the last channel I was on. I called and found out that you CAN NOT buy a new unit without paying for that unit AND a monthly subscription. They no longer call it a "Lifetime Subscription". I'm exhausted and have had enough.

Verified purchase
    joachim increased rating by 3 stars.
    Ease of Use
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, joachim increased their star rating on Dec. 2, 2019.

Updated review: Dec. 2, 2019

After writing my negative review, Tivo support did reach out to me to resolve my issues with their Bolt product. I was sent an replacement and after some effort received the power cords to transfer my movies from the 1st Bolt box to the replacement unit. At this point my replacement Tivo Bolt is working perfectly. Hopefully, my Bolt box will continue to work as advertised. I am very pleased with the higher level of support that Tivo provided me.

Original Review: Nov. 8, 2019

I purchased a Tivo Bolt last month and have had nothing but trouble with it. This is my 3rd Tivo. Had a Roamio for past 4 years which worked very well. Bolt has a new menu which is difficult to use and very un-logical. This Bolt often just goes blank which requires me to "unplug" it. Tivo support is useless and keeps wanting me to just do a new restart setup, which causes me to lose all my recording. And the remote works "part time". I keep on pushing the same button to get it to work. Support said "sit closer", I'm only 15 feet away. Support has limited knowledge to help. They sent me a replacement Bolt (which is refurbished) and it's still junk. I'm not happy with Tivo!

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupEase of Use

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2019

A month ago, my wife and I finally had it with DirecTV customer service. We quit after 16 years. I figured TiVo had to be better! They are NOT. I ordered a Bolt VOX DVR and 5 minis for $1,200. Two of the remotes do not work. There is no manual or user guide to configure a remote or understand why it does what it does. You call up and the phone is answered by script kitties. Why is customer service soooo bad now? Why don't we get instructions or manual on how to use a product? Is simple helpful, customer service over the phone impossible in this day and age? UGH!!!!

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2019

Long time TiVo customer. I have a huge investment in Tivo lifetime service over multiple units. They no longer support Xfinity streaming, and have limited apps. More importantly company has no one to escalate a problem. I was sold a unit that was suppose to be over the air and cable card capable. It’s not. No customer loyalty and no explanation for equipment failure. So sad. This use to be a great company. Now you only speak to the Philippines.

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2019

I bought the first TiVo model when TiVo started way back. I often upgraded to newer models and just transferred my lifetime subscriptions. I now have a Bolt-1 and a Bolt-3 (most recently purchased unit). The Bolt-1 is still using the older version of menus (spouse's choice), and seems to work well most of the time, requiring only occasional reboots (once every month or two).

For the Bolt-3 I went ahead and switched to the advanced menu option. The software is much more buggy than I've ever seen for a TiVo. For example, if I delete a show's "folder" containing more than one episode, it usually hangs up for several minutes while we all get to watch a spinning blue circle, and the remote is useless during that time. This, of course, is NOT acceptable. This may be the last TiVo I ever buy, as it seems the overall quality of the company's products and customer service is on a significant and noticeable decline. Did someone say that Amazon is developing a comparable product? Hope so.

Keith increased rating by 4 stars.
    Customer ServiceStaffReliability
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Keith increased their star rating on Nov. 7, 2019.

Updated review: Nov. 7, 2019

I wrote a bad review on October 24, 2019 which at the time was extremely accurate. Tivo has a lot of opportunities to improve their customer service. My frustration went on for 9 months with the bolt product not working with my equipment when other products like Roku worked fine. I am happy to report that TiVo's management team got involved and solved my issue! I only wish this could have been resolved through normal customer service channels. Bottom line the equipment works as expected and I now give them 5 stars for taking care of a loyal customer! Thank you TiVo management team!!!!

Original Review: Oct. 24, 2019

This company ignores its customers and sells products which they know are defective. I purchased a Bolt and have nothing but problems. When one calls their CS they are not helpful and unwilling to help. Instead, they tell you lies and make fake promises. I have had several calls to their executive CS people who again make promises but fail to deliver. Unfortunately, I have 4 other TIVO receivers so I can't just abandon them. BEWARE before you purchase any products from this company. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TIVO PRODUCT....

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2019

When installed 18 months ago, I thought TiVo was the best. One remote, all the apps, great interface and DVR. I bought lifetime service. I was so impressed. Today it’s gone. Three tuner failures. Those are a bummer but the worst is the apps like Netflix freeze and stop requiring getting the other remote and having the smart tv do it. Sometimes regular TV freezes. Customer service gives the same fixes and the stuff still doesn’t work. (Unplug everything and restart, force connect to TiVo server). Their tracking system is great for complaints. I see all the times I have called or been assisted. I finally gave up. Installed Apple TV on older smart TVs and use the newer smart tv by themselves. I like Apple best although no DVR. Life is way too short to deal with TiVo.

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2019

I have been a customer for almost 20 years. I had a tuner fail in my 2-year-old unit and they fought me on the failure. My cable provider spent 20 hours at my house troubleshooting their signal and service for no reason in order to meet TiVo's needs in order to replace the unit. After replacing the unit, the new one had a video output failure after 3 hours of use. That was 2 weeks ago. I called and was assured my new unit would ship to arrive in 3-5 business days. After a week I called to see what was going on and it hadn't shipped. They blamed me, supposedly fixed the issue and said a new unit would be expedited and I would have it in 2 business days, that was 5 days ago. I contacted them again today to learn it hasn't shipped.

The rep couldn't provide me info and said someone would follow up via email today, I doubt it will happen. Even worse I'm paying for TiVo and cable and cannot use them because this is my only interface, they won't issue me credit in any way and I have no idea when this will be resolved. In the age of "cable-cutting", it is a matter of time (a short amount in my opinion) before Tivo goes away if they cannot get this act together.

David increased rating by 4 stars.
    PriceStaff
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, David increased their star rating.

Reviewed Aug. 3, 2019

I cancelled my account with TiVo after 15 or so years. When I talked to the CSR she said it would cost me $75.00 to cancel. After we had a heart to heart and she cleared it with her supervisor she came back saying there would be no charge and appreciated all the years of me being a TIVO client. Today my Amex statement shows a $75.00 pending charge. Short term memory on their part, not sure but I will dispute it. It is only a matter of time before TIVO is out of business.

Reviewed July 26, 2019

My original Bolt DVR had a hard disk failure after being used for two years. I was told to return it, and I bought a refurbished unit from TiVo for $50. To make a long story short, that first refurbished unit didn't work, and over time I was given two additional refurbished Bolt units which also didn't work. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED STUFF FROM TIVO! I ended up buying a new TiVo Bolt through Amazon. After reading all the negative postings here, I hope it performs! I have a feeling this company is going down the tubes. Someone over there is smoking too much weed.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed July 17, 2019

I have had TiVo for over 20 years. As of mid-June, their app to watch On Demand programming through Comcast/Xfinity has expired. The message indicates it was old and never updated. With Comcast being one of the largest providers of cable tv in the country, I am amazed TiVo allowed it to occur, and incredibly frustrated that it's not resolved. I was told it would be resolved by June 30. I just called support again, and they say I should have never been told that, they have no idea if it will ever work again.

I pay $200/month for cable, and watch On Demand constantly. To not be able to access it because TiVo never bothered to keep the app up to date is unacceptable, irresponsible and very poor planning on TiVo's part. I paid money to watch a show last night via Prime, which I could have gotten for free from Comcast. I just upgraded to a TiVo Bolt, spent a lot of money on it, now can't even use if for the primary reason I bought it. This is ridiculous.

Kristina increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceStaff
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Kristina increased their star rating.

Reviewed July 14, 2019

We were planning a trip to Europe and my husband wanted to watch his favorite sports so we called TiVo and others to see if they had a product that would allow us to record a program and then access it via the internet from overseas. The salesperson at TiVo assured me that their product allowed us to playback recorded programs from anywhere. NOT TRUE. It only allows playback from within the residence where TiVo is installed.

We spent $250 on the box plus almost $16/month for the service that was sold on a false promise. That wasn't bad enough but the service and product are not very good. We were never able to sync our TV to the TiVo remote despite several phone calls to customer service. Service went down many times requiring us to restart completely with Cable provider. After 10 months we gave up and switched to a DVR provided by Spectrum which is fabulous. Tried to cancel and they will charge us $90 for cancelling before the year is up. Will therefore pay for two more months of lousy service, then cancel and be free of this lousy product.

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed June 19, 2019

05/14/19 NO STARS have been waiting on a $1000+ refund that is WAY overdue - yet, they have all of their equipment... DO NOT order with them if you plan on counting on their refund. Horrible, now I am still with DirecTV. Time to get only streaming.... TiVo, Inc. Response. 05/21/2019 TiVo has worked with the customer to resolve the above inquiry. TiVo and the customer have reached an agreement which suits both parties and the customer has agreed that the matter is resolved to her satisfaction. TiVo considers this inquiry to be closed. Customer Response. 05/21/2019. They called me AFTER I filed reviews - ONLY then... Still waiting on the rest of my refund. Not RESOLVED until that is credited to my account! TiVo should not consider this inquiry to be "CLOSED" until they reimburse me for items they are in possession. It is not CLOSED.

Online & App

Reviewed June 18, 2019

I have been a TiVo customer for over a decade. I have 8 TiVo devices in my home. Within my home I’m able to watch content from one TiVo DVR on another one. When I leave home on vacation, I set up out-of-home streaming on my iPad. This works for a day or two, although often the TiVo app requires me to setup again. After a few of these repeat set-up for out-of-home streaming, the app gets hung up as soon as the app is launched. And it is not just slow, as I’ve let it run for hours with no success.

I just now chatted with someone at TiVo. Her advice was to set up out-of-home streaming the next time I am home. She was not smart enough to understand that this issue happens all the time with the app, and that her solution is not satisfactory as it works for only a day or two. I have also received a message from the TiVo app on other recent vacations that TiVo is shutting my access down to my TiVo DVRs because it thinks I have exceeded the number of devices accessing my DVRs. This simply is not true as I only access the content from one iPad. The app often requires me to reset the out-of-home streaming while out of home, which it allows me to do a few times. Their software must assume each time I do this it must be a new device. I really am fed up with TiVo. I suggest potential customers find another way to stream content while away from home.

Reviewed April 2, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 10 years, a lot of my Tivo boxes are obsolete except my Tivo Bold. This company was so good before and now the competitions pass them. 99% of the time I cannot stream my shows.... Contacted them many times and stuck with the same issue. No difference if I’m home with my WIFI or out at my office streaming is not good. I’m using an iPad pro and everything disconnects in the middle of a show and I need to reconnect the streaming device. This device Bolt system is using the same network and I give 1/2 star. I’m just frustrated.... This is going on or more than 4 months.

Reviewed March 23, 2019

Hello, I would like to start by saying that TiVo customer service is great. I understand that there are issues that are out of their control such as defective models. I don't have the TiVo Bolt, but I haven't heard good things about it. I don't like the triangular box casing. It seems to me that they focused on extras like voice controlled remote. It is nice feature, but I rather have a functional menu and a high quality, long lasting DVR box.

I have a Roamio, Roamio Plus, 2 Roamio Pros, and 2 TiVo Minis. Roamio Pro is the best one yet. It has a 3Tb hard drive, 6 tuners and is great for streaming and transferring recordings to my laptop. Highly recommended!! Roamio Plus is almost the same as the Pro, except, the hard drive is 1Tb. I have had some issues with this model, and I've heard that that's common with the Plus. Things like restarting the box by itself, freezing image, spotty connectivity, happen often apparently. Not really recommended! Roamio is excellent too. It has four tuners and it comes with a 500Gb hard drive, that I upgraded to 3Tb quite easily. The only problem that I encountered so far with this Basic Model is that I can't transfer recordings to my laptop anymore, but it is not a deal breaker. Highly recommended!

TiVo minis. The older model, I haven't tried the Vox Mini. They work pretty good, but they lose connection every so often. You can go back to TiVo Central and start watching your recording again, but it is still annoying depending on your patience level. Also streaming platforms like Hulu don't work well with this model I imagine due to the limitations of the processor. You can still access the other TiVo devices and watch those shows. I recommend it with reservation.

I would to address some issues that customers have experienced. The new update code name HYDRA makes the user interface faster, but I don't think is worth the trouble of losing functionality of the back directional button ◀️. Also, it doesn't look that much better. Thankfully, when I access that box through any of the other boxes that haven't been updated to Hydra, it shows up with the normal user interface and do what I want to just the same. There is always the option of resetting the box to default settings, but the recordings will be erased and the guide too.

At first, setting up the any TiVo box in your home, will take some time and patience. Spectrum cable customer service agents helped me to get each box started but it took a long time. Make sure you have a proper cable connection, good internet connections with Ethernet cables for best results. Moca is supposed to work as well, but I have only used Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi. One time, I had a bad Cable card and a bad cable adapter box. Cable adapters come with the cable card for better signal reception. Once you get it going, it is great. I wish premium channels and on demand channels worked through the cable card, but I can access those through the spectrum app on my Roku so it is not that big a deal.

A customer said that the lifetime service on his Series 3 TiVo was somehow closed and deactivated. That sounds like a nightmare and I hope that there was a way to reinstate the account. I don't wish that experience to anyone. All in all I recommend the TiVo PRO with lifetime service. The customer service reps that I've dealt with were humble and very helpful.

Reviewed Feb. 18, 2019

Not sure if the makers really think about their updates. The last update is a joke. Why would you take away something that took 1 button click and now make it 4 clicks. It's so frustrating. Just to play a recorded show is now 4 clicks. Sh.. Get your collective heads out of your butts and ask your consumers what they think before you force it on us.

Barry increased rating by 3 stars.
    Reliability
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Barry increased their star rating.

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2019

Let me start by saying that I love TiVo products and heretofore have never had problems with technical support. Even this time the support itself was fine. My problem is with the monies that I had to commit to receive a replacement for a defective TiVo Mini VOX. I have had a Mini VOX for a little over a year when it failed. (Wouldn't you know - just a couple of weeks out of warranty!) Anyway, I called tech support and, after a few tests they confirmed that it was the TiVo that had failed and not some other part of my setup. So we arranged for a discounted replacement. In order to secure this I was charged up front for the replacement ($51) for the replacement + $190 for deposit in case I did not return the defective unit. The $190 is the price for a complete system including manuals, power supply, and remote control in addition to the TiVo itself (actually $180 at Best Buy).

What I received from them was just the TiVo itself - and a refurbished unit to boot. OK, so I get the $190 back... in a couple of weeks... but why did I have to lay down monies for two systems - the $50 for the refurb they were sending plus $190 for a complete new system? Adding salt into the wound, the refurb they sent me was dead on arrival!!! I am now waiting for a second replacement (fortunately they did not hit me up for another deposit). Whenever I have had to return merchandise under these conditions in the past, the vendor takes my credit card number with the understanding that If I do not return the defect unit being replaced I will be charged the full amount for the replacement.

Reliability

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2019

This is an absolutely corrupt company... They lied to me repeatedly and do not stand behind their word (there are many recordings they have of my conversation with them). My TiVO Bolt went bad after 20 days of use and was told I will receive a replacement. They never did after being promised 3 times. Nobody at the company has accountability and/or bears any responsibility. Lost $300 buying this defective unit but I already made up my mind to never touch a TiVO again!

Customer ServiceProcess

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the TiVo OTA. The first one I received worked but the program guide was way off from what the stations had on them. I called them and wrote several emails giving them all the station info they requested. They did absolutely nothing about it. The DVR started making noise after about 2 1/2 months. I returned it and they sent me another one. Same program guide problems. I called them and wrote them 3 more emails with all the information about the station identification and what was really on the channel. They did nothing about it. About a year after I bought it, they still had not addressed even one of the program guide problems. Then I started losing channels.

After about 3 weeks from when the channels quit working I had about one third of the original channels that I started out with. The channel guide was off on 90% of the channels. I tried to get my money back and all I got from the representatives was the runaround. Instead of sending my money back they kept replacing the dvr. When I sent the last dvr back I also returned the power cord and remote. They sent me a replacement dvr but no power cord or remote and said I could try to sell it on eBay. I called them again and they sent me a return label and said they would refund my money. I still haven't gotten a refund. They have my money and all of their equipment.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 2, 2019

"Just got to thinking. Someone would of had to have access or should of in order for changes to be done. I have lived alone for 46 of the 52 months I've owned this box..." Okay this is more or less just me venting. I bought a TiVo series 3 off of eBay Nov. 2014. This was a lifetime subscription that I paid good money for. I have the service transferred into my name. I have it added to cable account at previous address. Works no problems for 6 months. I move. Start a new cable account and use Tivo box periodically for next two years. I cut the cord on cable and box up TiVo box.

A year or so later (present time) Jan. 1 2019 unbox TiVo for new cable service. At which time get a message that the account has been closed. I did not close the account so I think to myself 'how did this happen?' Well have you guys ever made a phone call into a customer service center and get told contradictory statements by different reps. I talked to 3 different people and spent close to 2 1/2 hours on the phone today. I went a different route on third call and got a girl (MISH) who was trying her best to help. Apparently, somehow in January, 2017 the box (that I own and have always had in my possession) got transferred into someone else's name in essence making them the new account holder. Unbeknownst to me, I was still using the box and it was working fine. Sometime before June however I boxed the TiVo up for storage.

According to tech support and not customer service the box was canceled somehow by this new mysterious third owner. Now they are wanting to charge me a discounted fee of $300 and something dollars to reactivate a box (that has already been paid for a lifetime subscription). Contradicting what rep #2 with customer care told me was impossible to activate said box. Which, by the way, contradicted what rep #1 told me. This is corporate bullying of customers. They are wanting me to pay to reactivate a service that had already been paid for because (input sarcasm) I transferred my box to another person and then they canceled the box. That doesn't even make sense. It's not a logical argument.

This box was paid for and not being charged a monthly service fee. This is the type of stuff these big companies get away with that should be punished for... They'll always find a way to get off the hook... Shame, shame, and more shame to all who practice these malevolent ethics. Reason of review: Poor customer service. Monetary Loss: $250. I liked: Service while it worked. I didn't like: Having a working box that was canceled without my permission.

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2018

The worst website ever. No utility for even recording a TV show. Useless navigation - designed to evade. Used to be easy to schedule a recording - phone or PC. Now, simply not available and no one cares. Okay, we don't either!

John increased rating by 3 stars.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, John increased their star rating.

Reviewed Dec. 23, 2018

After almost a year of enjoying a TiVo Bolt it stopped working. I contacted customer service and was sent a replacement which didn’t work! I contacted them and they sent another unit! It didn’t work either! Each time it’s stuck in the “loading information” loop and can’t find my ZIP code. They have replaced it FOUR times! TiVo blames my ISP (HughesNet). HughesNet has bent over backwards to help me without any luck. I now have a unless white box with a one-year subscription! I HATE TiVo.

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a new TIVO OTA model and they require a one year MINIMUM subscription! After returning after 2 days as did not meet my needs with DirecTV Now I still got stuck w/ $50 cancellation fee! Be aware of this if you want to just try!

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2018

I was one of the first Tivo users when it initially appeared in the marketplace. It was a great product, as were follow-up products until my most recent purchase - the Bolt. My unit has to be re-booted over and over or I can get access to my "apps". Calls to Customer Support have been beyond frustrating - as described in many of the other reviews. They make the same useless suggestions over and over. And no matter how often I ask to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold, only to return with no supervisor available, but they have a new useless "fix" to try over and over. Finally the customer service rep said that a supervisor would call me. That did not happen. My Bolt is continuing to only sporadically allow me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. After reading all these reviews, I'm finished with TiVo and will return to my cable provider for these services. I only hope I will be able to cancel my subscription without hassle.

PriceStaffReliability

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2018

Please do NOT buy Tivo products or continue to invest in Tivo products... Instead wait for alternative solution from Amazon to be announced by the end of year 2018. I have 1 x Tivo Roamio ($600 hardware and $500 lifetime subscription) and 6 x Tivo Minis ($150 ea.) for 6 years now. The product was the best solution for me at the time but the subscription cost, poor software, poor service has caused me nothing but heartache since. I did their latest software update and it caused my box to start rebooting every 1-5 min.

Their support is poorly trained and extremely frustrating to deal with... asking me to troubleshoot and test every cable and even the location to prove to them that their box is rebooting. I have had 3 RMAs so far and each time I have deal with their support it is very taxing. The first RMA had a bad Coax Connector (no Cable signal detected), the second took a dump after doing the required OS upgrade and won't start up. I have asked and offered to pay for a discounted upgrade to a newer piece of hardware twice and both times they have said if I want a newer box that I must pay full retail and buy another lifetime subscription at the tune of another $1,200. I am done, Tivo is on the way out, hold off and wait for an Amazon, Google, or Apple alternative DVR because this one is not worth it anymore.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2018

I bought new Tivo and less than a year, it shut down and would not get past the "just a few minutes more" reboot cycle. I called Tivo. They had me try a different outlet!? Really? It comes on, and reboots, how can that be the problem? Roku, Blu Ray, Wii, tuning adapter, sound bar, television, and Logitech Harmony control hub are working from same power strip, UPS and power conditioner. Their answer was a bad hard drive and they were going to replace the Tivo Bolt. They then wanted to charge me an advance replacement fee, so I opted to send in Tivo and have them ship the replacement. I received replacement within one week and it too failed within one month, with same symptoms. I had to go through their same ridiculous ritual of plugging Tivo directly into an outlet. So, sent Tivo back and received another replacement.

It failed within one month. Repeated ritual and this time they sent power cord only. I waited 2 weeks, received power cord and called them back because Tivo still didn't work. Went through ritual, above, again and they determined Tivo was defective-- "probably the hard drive has failed." Hmmm, imagine that! Sent Tivo back, received replacement. It failed today, after a little over a month. Went through ritual above and agent told me, "it is impossible for all of these Tivo units to fail like this." She either just called me a liar, or insinuated that I was abusing Tivo. I told the agent that I had 30 years of technical support experience, had multiple technical certifications and could easily gut the Tivo box and replace the faulty hard drive, if I wished, but I very interested to see just how many Tivo devices they would replace before they actually sent a working unit.

She didn't think it was funny and I wasn't trying to be funny. I told her that I was not amused to be called a liar and that I certainly wasn't abusing Tivo. I kept it dust free, as I do all of my electronics. My UPS, power conditioner, and power strip together cost 5x the cost of the Tivo Bolt. I told her that those three devices are also plugged into a surge protected, double grounded outlet, and my seven other devices, sharing that outlet have never had a problem. In fact, that power strip has the most stable and clean power in my whole home. I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she refused. I insisted and she reluctantly connected me to supervisor.

The supervisor went through the above ritual of plugging directly into outlet, just for kicks. I did, and Tivo failed, as expected. I am now about to print the return label. I kept the last shipment box because I knew I'd be replacing Tivo soon. This is the last time. After the next failure, probably next month, I will just replace the hard drive, myself and save myself the humiliation of being called a liar and idiot.

Sales & MarketingPriceProcess

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2018

TIVO is garbage. I purchased the new TiVo BOLT VOX and DVR annual service. Both are ungodly prices to spend on crap. Every way possible TIVO is lacking and really makes me mad then crazy mad. Let’s break down each of the ways TIVO lacks anything to offer. 1) Failure of "Voice search" to find my DVR recordings of movies. TIVO charges me an annual fee to record movies. OK this is why I have TIVO. In addition to TIVO, I pay for COX to record movies on HBO and Showtime, etc. But when I search for my recordings using their voice search on the remote, TIVO doesn't list what I recorded. Instead, TIVO lists movies to purchase on Prime, Voodoo, and Hulu.

2) Failure to play my recorded movies. I know that I recorded this specific movie because I recorded it and I watched the recorded movie last month. So I search my list of recorded movies manually. In the list, I see my recording. I see that I have already watched that recording. But I cannot access my recording. I can only see it. When I click on it, the message says that there are no more tuners available, would I prefer to watch a recording. Not only do I have all of my tuners available, but I am trying to watch something I have previously recorded and watched. What am I paying for TIVO? Hello anyone there? TIVO!!! Hello TIVO??? TIVO!!! Try another service. I loved DirecTV until they screwed me on my bill. Their DVR service was great. So was DirecTV's Remote.

3) The TIVO remote sucks in every way that a remote can suck. Shape sucks, functions suck, search sucks, waiting or lag time to do something sucks. TIVO!!! I suggest trying any other service and then cut the cord before going to TIVO and paying for the equipment up front and then paying for their service because they suck the money from your wallet for nothing in return. 4) Oh! The skip commercial function sucks too. Inconsistently available for programs. Same program, sometimes the skip is there, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why do they advertise the skip function. That should be against the law for deceptive advertising. When skip is available it doesn’t always work correctly. Run from TIVO.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2018

Received an email that my TIVO was on a list for deactivation, but, I was assured that I would NOT be deactivated. Well, I was! I have a Lifetime on a Premier. I've called several times, and get the run-around that it will take 3-5 days to activate it. I have a bad feeling that they are trying to get me to buy another DVR product because I'm on Lifetime. They don't make money on us Lifetime members.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2018

This company SUCKS! They send me emails saying they will discontinue my service because I supposedly opted into some plan that will let them dis-honor my lifetime service contract?? WTH would anybody do that?? The customer service is the WORST!! Just been on hold for 30 minutes and still no one answered the phone!! The webpage sucks, there's no account information to explain why they sent me this email, the email doesn't contain ANY contact info, and the chat function on the website doesn't work!! They are the worst!! NEVER buy anything from this con artist company!!!

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2018

Bought a new Roamio OTA months ago, within 2.5 months fan noise level was awful, TiVo replaced new unit with refurbished. Fast forward 7 months, fan noise was back. TiVo held firm they were not going to work with me regarding fan and warranty because it was after 90 days. 90 days??? Most manufacturers have a 1 year warranty. I paid TiVo to replace unit again, I have a feeling this is going to go around and around. If the fan goes out so quickly, either the fans are poorly constructed, or design of cooling system sucks. Either way, TiVo in my opinion has a warranty policy that isn't built for the consumer, it's built for the company.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2018

There was a time when TiVo was fair to the consumer but has since abandoned that idea or any sense of decency. A little more than two weeks ago, my TiVo was suddenly and inexplicably interrupted - while I was watching a program. The picture was moved to the top right of the screen while the majority of the screen was covered with TiVo's menu. When I attempted to back out of the menu and return the picture to full screen mode, I couldn’t. Then, the TiVo went to restart mode and the picture would go back to the same position up in the top right corner of the screen; then kept repeating the process of restarting over and over. I turned my television off. I had other things to attend to; so when I finally had a small window of time, I called TiVo and spoke with tech support but then realized assistance may take longer than I anticipated due to a language barrier. So, I was given a reference number to use when I called again.

Fast forward a few days later. I called Tech support but this time instead of offering to fix the problem, I was told I need to buy a newer model. I said, "No thanks" since I was told initially offered tech assistance with the box I currently have. I called once more, hoping I would get an honest person to assist me - to no avail. More than two weeks later I receive an email telling me that my payment was past due (on an non-working TiVo box.) So, I decided to call to see if I could get tech support help, once again. I was then told I had to pay the subscription fee prior to receiving tech support. Keeping in mind that I had been told in a prior call that I needed a new box. They were insistent that I pay first before receiving tech support, which may or may not work.

So, my feeling at this time is that I was being blackmailed into either buying a new box, retaining service on an older box which I purchased six years ago that was working perfectly fine until TiVo, intentionally/unintentionally created technical problems when they tried upgrading, without notice, as I was watching a program, to upsell me. In fact, I hadn't used my TiVo in two years and re-subscribed a few months. My box is fine. TiVo is trying to pull a fast one.

It’s unfortunate what TiVo has become and with so much competition available. Amazon becoming a major in this space. Finally, customer service was so much easier to communicate with and issues were resolved in a matter of 30 minutes. I ended up canceling a service that was great, until recently. Very sad for America. Bring CS back to America; stop deceptive practices.

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2018

I've had TiVo for 2 years. Spent over $1300 in equipment plus annual fees. I performed a software upgrade 6 weeks ago and now the equipment is useless. Can't stream Amazon Prime or Netflix. Usually only records parts of shows. They have sent me 2 replacement TiVos with the same issue. I have absolutely no problem streaming with my Apple TV or smart TV on the same network using the same exact cables. TiVo says they can do nothing more to help and I am stuck with $1300 of equipment that is as good as a paperweight. They keep telling me "they are sorry" and "they understand my frustration", but after 25+ hours on the phone with them over the last month, that is not good enough. Stay away from TiVo!!!

Updated on 08/29/2018: I spoke with John from TiVo customer support. His resolution for me was to cancel my account and he told me I can try to sell my equipment on my own on eBay. Again, I can't use or sell equipment that does not work. This is the absolute worst customer support I have ever experienced. I wasted $1300 on TiVo. Stay away from Tivo. Worst product and worst customer support!

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2018

I bought the new Tivo Bolt DVR. I was excited to get out with lifetime service for only $300. Even though our old Tivo Premium works fine, it is 7 years old and I figured it could die at any time so why not replace it a little early and save the hassle of having it go out. BAD CHOICE! The Tivo Bolt has serious design flaws. I now have a $300 paperweight and am waiting for TIVO to get their heads out of their ** and make this thing work. They say it is a known problem but they have no idea how long it will take to fix. REALLY? You ship something that doesn't work and you don't know how to fix it and you expect people to just wait for you to get around to it? So far, two weeks and I have heard nothing back from TiVo. Do not buy this piece of crap. TiVo deserves a class-action lawsuit for this one-intentionally shipping out a non-working product!!!

Albert increased rating by 4 stars.
    Customer ServiceSales & Marketing
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Albert increased their star rating on Aug. 19, 2018.

Updated review: Aug. 19, 2018

Tivo supervisor tech responded by phone(this was a"first") to my negative review(8/9) and advised me to try connecting an ethernet cable to my wi-fi router and my TiVo box. The cable worked and now I am able to view all of the missing(V312) apps.
    Thanks, Tivo
    PS: I'm not moving to a Comcast DVR after all.

8/19/18

Original Review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased a Tivo Roamio/Plus and a Lifetime Service Plan for a total of $1000.00 in Aug 2015. All worked well until three weeks ago when Netflix, Prime Video, and Xfinity On Demand streaming stopped downloading. Also cannot search and record any new TV shows. Customer support is useless. Same answer: "Our software techs know about the problem and they are working on a fix. They will email you when they correct the problem." I've never heard from any TiVo tech support. If hadn't invested so much money in TiVo, I'd dump the box and move on to another DVR recorder. I'm now convinced that TiVo is running a scam on its customers after they've decided that you are a sucker for purchasing their useless products. My advice to anyone thinking about renting or buying a TiVo DON"T DO IT. August 9, 2018.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2018

Apparently TIVO has joined the growing list of companies that have turned their backs on customer service. I have been a satisfied subscriber to the TIVO service for several years and based on that I purchased two Roamio units with lifetime subscriptions and TIVO Desktop Plus to move files between my computer and the Roamio units. Now they have stopped support for Desktop Plus and I am no longer able to transfer files and support says there is no workaround or fix and will not offer any sort of solution. I feel jilted and out a lot of money for no reason.

Updated on 08/15/2018: Within a day I had a response from TIVO support and I thought, great, now something may happen. After one hour of bs and smoke, rebooting computer, modem, TiVo, etc. I called it quits after he said my case will be forwarded to a engineering level and I should hear from them in a few weeks.

Customer ServiceInstallation & Setup

Reviewed July 29, 2018

I have been a lifetime Tivo customer since 2000 so I have had experience with Tivo for almost two decades. Within the past 18 months, my interactions and loyalty to this company has dramatically declined. What used to be great customer service has gone South in the past few years. I used to be able to deal with an issue over the phone instantly but now, each caller, even if I have an active ticket number, tries to put me through the testing paces and rediagnose the problem the previous Tivo customer rep and I arrived at. Often, the problem is pushed off on it being my end and the TiVo not being hooked up correctly.

First, I have many Tivos and I know how to hook one up and second, I've been in the IT industry longer than Tivo has been around so I'm not a newbie to technology. With the handful of TiVo problems I have had, it has never been the installation that was the problem but always the hardware. If a box isn't working, I want an exchange and don't want to fight for it. My most recent discussion with Tivo this week was a week long persuasion and only after my last testy phone call did I get some resolution. It wasn't even the resolution the old good TiVo customer service would provide but an example of their new "let's screw the customer" agenda.

To fix my broken TiVo, I have to mail in my broken box and wait for it to be received and processed on TiVo's end and wait further for another unit to be mailed to me. I will have no service for nearly two weeks and I'm supposed to accept that without any kind of prorated deduction on my account. And don't even get me started on the uselessness of the TiVo Bolt. That was my last experience with Tivo customer service and they wasted several hours of my time arguing with them to take back both of their non-functioning TiVo Bolts. Really? Why do I need to argue with TiVo to provide me with the service I'm paying for? Your Bolts aren't working despite how many times you ask me to plug it in a different outlet - accept that and let's move on to fix it. I'm actively looking for a way to leave TiVo. I've been a big proponent for many years but I'm at the end of my patience with them nowadays.

Ahmed increased rating by 3 stars.
    Customer ServiceStaffReliability
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Ahmed increased their star rating.

Reviewed June 12, 2018

My first public review- About a year ago I had decided to buy a TiVo product because of the great reviews and reliability of the products. I bought the Bolt+ that has struggled to be reliable. When my first box failed (hard drive failure) right before the end of the extended warranty, I requested a new Bolt, and was given a refurbished one that I was told was tested too and was as good as new. Well that failed (would not power up) in less than 60 days. I then requested again a new replacement but was reassured that could not do anything else because of policy, even though message boards said others received new boxes. This replacement box did not even work when it arrived.

Numerous hrs on the phone, calling cable company to troubleshoot, I finally called executive customer care and surprisingly got a call back from one of the executives. I called back and was transferred to someone else that said they could only replace my box with a new one if I paid $70 for the new model with voice control. I asked to speak with the executive that reached out and was told for over 20 mins that I could not speak with them. This by far has been my worst customer experience second to Combatant Gentleman's dealing with not even talking to customers (but their CEO actually contacted me directly and took care of all costs).

Reviewed May 26, 2018

TiVo's call center technical assistance continues to disappoint & reinforce my decision to go with a cable provided DVR. I spoke with Ezra at the Philippines Call Center - he was pleasant and somewhat helpful as I attempted to get my TiVo HD back online. I started the process of Guided Set-Up and he said that a hot spot Internet connection would work as Internet connection. I just wanted to watch my shows that were saved on my old HD model.

I started the process, then got hung up on the last step, I think it was getting program information... I called back spoke to a woman and she said "Hot Spot will not work with my TiVo" I told it was working, she said no it won't. I then ask her how familiar she was with the older TiVo models... she said she was. I asked to speak to a supervisor she insisted three times that - that was not needed. I insisted a fourth time and she said she would connect me. She then hung up on me. Great service.

I called back, got Ezra again, agent the first time. He was a little confused over my question... would hot spot work, and I just wanted to watch my saved programs. I then asked to speak to a supervisor again. He put me on hold and after 10 minutes... yes 10 minutes. I got supervisor Jeff. Jeff gave no clear answers and just kept repeating what I was saying to him, and he said "Hum" a lot. Hum this, hum that.

He then told me to look at my TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter. He kept asking if the two lights were light or blinking. I told him there was only light with two symbols on each side of it. He told me to turn it over and look for another light. I asked him if he was aware of what these look like... there is no light on other side, just a rainbow/upside down smile light that goes from power to the internet connected symbol... handshake symbol I call it. He kept telling me I was not connected. I got so frustrated with his hums, and more hums from him, I hung up. What kind of service does TiVo offer? The worst. So unless you are a tech smart person I would not recommend TiVo as there is no customer service any longer. There used to be... not it has been unsuccessfully outsourced to another country. Bummer.

Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed May 26, 2018

This company has a clever scam going. They send a warning that your connection is failing and then when you contact them to fix the problem they try to upsell new equipment and a more expensive subscription. Thanks for warning from other consumers, I was aware. Hard to believe they will be able to avoid prosecution for this much longer.

Reviewed May 22, 2018

When I order TiVo Bolt easy to hook up but I have to get tuning adapter box is free and cable card 2.50 month. Not bad. Everything work fine. I love it. I watch TV and movie. They are best show no plm.

Reviewed May 4, 2018

Once again TiVo has screwed their - cough - lifetime service customers. First they charged me for TiVo Desktop. Then they charged me for TiVo Desktop Plus. Then they DROPPED support for TiVo Desktop. And over the years I've had to reach-out MANY TIMES to their so-called Executive Support department because of changes they've made that rendered TiVo Desktop unusable. Well they've done it again and I've been without a working TiVo network for over a month and waiting for a solution for the same amount of time - yes, I called it in. They've outsourced EVERYTHING to the Philippines, including their so-called Executive Support department, and it is a terrible change. By-the--by: have they passed-on any of that cost savings to us? No, they have not.

The support reps are useless. I've been chasing them for over 4 weeks (AS THEY DO NOT CALL BACK AS THEY PROMISE) and the latest callback was a total waste. The rep did not understand the situation and it’s obvious no work has been done on my behalf. He asked the same questions three times and each time he re-asked or re-stated things back to me, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE DOES NOT COMPREHEND SPOKEN ENGLISH. I run a help desk and this guy would NOT have passed the interview. TiVo has again abandoned their lifetime customers and should be ashamed of themselves. Find an alternative, find a company that cares about customers.

Profile pic of the author.
    Verified purchase
    Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupSales & MarketingPricePunctuality & SpeedStaffEase of Use

Reviewed March 13, 2018

We have been totally satisfied customers of TiVo for fifteen trouble-free years. Our TiVo unit started warning us that it was going to lose the ability to record in three days. And it did. It seemed fishy that the unit would have this "warning" in anticipation of a malfunction... almost like it had sort of a built-in lifespan. We called their technical people numerous times. Everyone you talk to is overseas and while they were all very nice, the language problems were pretty much insurmountable. Two days were wasted on all this. So it seemed like the best idea was to get a new unit. Nothing lasts forever and fifteen years is a long time. We record literally everything. I can honestly say I haven't watched a commercial in the whole time we've had TiVo. So we weren't going to give that up.

My warning is to long-time TiVo users like us. The new system is terrible. Starting with the fact that our lifetime service wasn't transferable, to the fact that the price has quadrupled, to the almost unbelievable difficulty in hooking the unit up... it's been an awful experience. TiVo was wonderfully easy to use. Hook-up on our original box took minutes. Simply screwing in a DSL cable. Period. We knew we were in trouble when we realized that this new TiVo Bolt didn't even have a DSL thing. It also came with no... I repeat NO... Viewer's Guide. And for some bizarre reason they have changed the names of every single service TiVo provides. Forget all you knew about "Season Passes" and "Find Programs" and all the other user-friendly features you have gotten accustomed to. They're all called something different now. And it comes with no instructions to tell you this.

The old TiVo remote was easy enough to be operated blind-folded. The new one would challenge Stephen Hawking. And even for more technical folks than we are, the screens that pop up are absolutely dreadful. Everything you see is confusing, noisy, cluttered and full of what apparently are ads to see shows you aren't remotely interested in. The old TiVo screens were clean, clear, and precise. The new ones are exactly the opposite. We are heartsick and feel, strongly, that we've been ripped off by a trusted friend. On a side note, we used our old TiVo remote to do everything... from turning on the TV to engaging the VCR to adjusting the volume. Forget doing all that with the new system.

Strangely enough, the old 15 year old remote still works for all these things. So that's still what we use to turn on the TV. This is progress, I guess? There's plenty more that I could say. I've probably said enough. Just know that if you have been a happy user of TiVo in the past, you will be sorely unhappy with what they have become. We're sending the darn thing back. The DVR service from our local cable provider certainly couldn't be any worse. And is a whole lot cheaper.

Updated on 04/11/2018: I was very surprised to get an email from you folks at ConsumerAffairs saying my dissatisfaction with TiVo had been resolved. It absolutely has not been. And where on earth would you have gotten an idea like that? My original warning to long-time customers like myself who were thinking of purchasing a new TiVo box and service was that major changes in the service had been implemented--including even what things were called-- and no User's Guide was sent to explain any of these changes. I got an owner's manual with my vacuum cleaner, for Pete's sake. But nothing with this very complicated DVR system.

Their idea of "resolving" the issue was to have me talk to yet another out-of-country technician. As if the many, many phone calls I'd already made weren't enough. These technical people specifically refuse to tell you where they're located. They are very polite-- at least the ones I talked to were-- but I can think of nothing less polite that refusing to answer a simple question like where they are.

In my original negative review I said I was going to send the box back. And I have decided not to. A fifteen-year habit of skipping commercials is pretty hard to give up. The last tech guy was able to walk me through the process of setting up the remote so that I'm able to turn the TV off and on with it and do other things I was able to do before. I've learned through trial and error-- lots of error!-- what buttons do what. All of this could have been taken care of quickly and easily by sending me an Owner's Manual. It is absolutely mind-boggling that these people refuse to do a simple courtesy like that.

I have read the other reviews for TiVo on this website and realize that had I sent the machine back it would have caused me even more grief. It appears that their customer service doesn't just start with not providing instructions with their service. It seems to get even worse if a person tries to get their money back.

Somebody there ought to be ashamed of themselves. TiVo was a wonderfully competent and well respected company in the beginning. This is not the company it once was.

Lisa increased rating by 1 star.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Lisa increased their star rating on March 28, 2018.

Updated review: March 28, 2018

After several unpleasant recorded phone conversations with a customer service person, I was told me my order did not go through because I spelled my name wrong (left out a letter). I called my bank and they told me that would not make a difference. I felt the customer service person was rude to me and not understanding of what I was going through; $800 is a lot of money to me! After 7 days the charge did go off my card but instead $1,000 of charges to a travel website appeared. I am not sure why the security of my card was compromised, but my bank did reverse those charges as well. I use a virtual keyboard to enter my cc number so I don't know. My customer service experience with TiVo was quite unpleasant. I never want to go through that again or have any further contact with them. I will add one star because the charge was ultimately taken off my card.The issue was resolved, but it was very stressful getting it resolved.

Original Review: March 11, 2018

For me, just ordering a Bolt and mini was a terrible experience. I went directly to the TiVo website to order, I set up an account, and entered my credit card number. Within a second, I got an email from my bank for the $750 charge; however, I got no receipt from TiVo, the items were still in my cart, and I could not sign into my new account. I started a chat but was told I must call. I called and was told the charge was only a hold and it would "fall off" in a couple of days. Meanwhile, my bank will not let me use the $750 and I have no TiVo order. Be warned: customer service for TiVo is farmed out overseas. I was on the phone for close to an hour with no help except wait and see what happens. It was a complete circus. I was even told we process the orders in the order we receive them. What? Are they using pen and paper? Imagine having a problem with your TiVo unit and putting up with this. Dish Network beats this company by a mile.

Reviewed March 11, 2018

I have one of the first TiVo Bolts. It worked great with an occasional unplug/plug needed. Then, after I added 3 Minis, problems started. Scheduled shows would not record at times, and/or I would get message that I could not watch live TV because all tuners were “busy”. That would happen even if nothing would be recording and the Minis were not in use. Re-powering or re-booting would fix the problems for few days, then they would start again. Customer service is a joke, they mostly read from a script: unplug power, re-plug, reboot modem, reboot router, etc. While you do that, they hung up and never call back. When you call back, you get a new rep who starts you again on the script, not listening to you or not understanding you.

I suspect the problem is with the minis which “grab” and hold onto a channel even after you turned the attached TV off with the supplied TiVo remote. It appears to be a software issue, and I am not sure if the Mini firmware/software can be updated. TiVo is not going to recall hundred thousands of minis, and/or admit there is a problem. It will be interesting to see if the new voice control remotes have solved the problem!

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2018

I have had TiVo in one form or another for years. They are ridiculously horrible in terms of customer support. Just try and cancel them. I had TiVo on auto bill and got another service, boxed up TiVo, put it in the basement. God almighty, try and cancel them. They kept billing me, you can't cancel online, then they fight with you to cancel. They kept referring to "while we attempt to cancel" and other creepy statements like I couldn't cancel. Then they drill on why are you canceling. I just kept repeating cancel. They drone on and on, then expect you to listen to a disclaimer that never ends. "Your guarantee is no good if you cancel," (say what?), "Your warranties are no good," but they dream up hundreds of these things to read to you. I finally said, "Look, I have grandchildren, they are getting old while I listen to this, just cancel". Let's see if they do. Awful.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2018

Customer service is beyond bad, their grasp of the English language is tenuous at best and they just talk down and over you not listening to anything you say. Everything is your problem not theirs. They replaced one box with a broken box then told me they would send another but I had to wait over two weeks. Avoid this company. Their products do not hold up and the customer experience is horrific. I would rather pay for cable than deal with these people.

Updated on 03/03/2018: Here's my latest salvo with Tivo... after over 11 hours on the phone, and my first CA review, I get this... "Thank you for providing your account information so we can assist you with your concerns. This is to inform you that I will be your point of contact to address your concerns in case. I will be contacting you on today 02/23/2018 at 02:00 PM – 04:00 PM PST so we can discuss this further."

I have called him repeatedly and all I get is a voicemail loop and no return call. Then to add insult to injury they told me they could not send an RGA label as they were having technical difficulties so they sent me a barcode and told me to take it to a FedEx office and they would scan it and print a label... WRONG... The FedEx office said they do not do that. I would need to provide a proper label. Can you imagine how pissed off I am after schlepping all over town just to find out these clowns are as usual clueless. And of course my original problem has not been addressed or fixed, I still have channels listed and with strong signals that are blank. No picture, no sound. I TRULY HATE TIVO.

Marina increased rating by 3 stars.
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Marina increased their star rating on April 28, 2018.

Updated review: April 28, 2018

i'm updating my review cause tivo reached out and sent a new tv box thingy which works a lot better than the one we had. tivo's customer service is 10/10. also john from tivo is cool.

Original Review: Feb. 20, 2018

I literally made an account for this website. Just give TiVo one star. I wish there was an option to give it zero stars but ya know this is close enough. If you’re considering TiVo, STOP YOURSELF. Not even kidding. TiVo is the absolute worst. I’ve been trying to watch the Olympics and right when something interesting starts happening, TiVo decides that it’s time to reboot itself meaning it cuts to a picture saying “one moment” (takes about 10 min) and then goes back to what you’re watching AND THEN cuts the feed again, showing the stupid “one moment” page. As you can probably tell, I ** hate TiVo with a passion. I would recommend this to someone I hate. Save yourself. Ok thanks. - Child of a father who will not pay for decent TV provider.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a new TiVo Bolt in responses to a TiVo promotion to trade in an old TiVo and transfer my lifetime service. The Bolt would not activate because TiVo sent a Bolt with a different service number than it had in its records. This took days and hours of phone calls to correct. After finally appearing to be resolved, my lifetime service was deactivated 4 months later without notice or any cause. I am back begging again for this company to simply do what I paid for. They are a failing and disreputable company who cannot be trusted. Avoid doing business with TiVo!

Contract & Terms

Reviewed Jan. 10, 2018

We bought a TiVo Bolt just before Christmas and got a card from Comcast. The TiVo would not connect with Comcast so we could not get live TV. Comcast sent out a technician who tried several cards and worked for almost two hours but could not make a connection. I spent several hours on the phone with TiVo which told me to contact Comcast which told me it was a TiVo problem. We exchanged the TiVo at Best Buy and began the journey again. The new TiVo would not connect with our wifi so we had to add an extender.

Comcast paired the card but TiVo would not connect. Again back and forth between TiVo and Comcast. Comcast says, and I think this is correct, that there is a glitch in some TiVos which keep them from working with Comcast cards. TiVo's recommendation is to keep trying cards until one works. The cards are made by Motorola. Comcast also told me that TiVo is reluctant to exchange the non-working equipment. Fortunately we bought the TiVo at Best Buy. I've canceled the TiVo contract.

Brian increased rating by 3 stars.
    After a positive interaction with TiVo, Brian increased their star rating on Feb. 12, 2018.

Updated review: Feb. 12, 2018

I was contacted by a TIVO representative, who could not have been more helpful. All that others said "couldn't be done" he did! He was able to put my own TIVO box and my cable company-provided TIVO box on the same account, and now I can easily watch shows recorded on one box on the television connected to the other. I must say I was surprised that anyone contacted me, but I cannot say enough good things about how resolution was achieved.

We have been TIVO owners since the device first came on the market, and this recent experience really renewed my faith in a product that I had sworn by for years until the recent hitch. Thank you TIVO!

Original Review: Dec. 10, 2017

I bought a TiVo from TiVo, and I have another TiVo I rent from my cable company. According to TiVo, I cannot watch shows recorded on the cable company TiVo on my personal TiVo! Unless both boxes are purchased from TiVo, they will not communicate with each other! Beware!

Staff

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2017

I've been using Tivo's since 2010. And I'm very satisfied. In fact, I would go so far as to say I'm extremely satisfied. I had a series 3 unit for a year. But lost that in a divorce. So I bought Tivo Premier on eBay. And it came with Lifetime Service. This a feature of the service. The Lifetime service stays with the machine. So when I got it. I simply called TIVO and they transferred the service to my name.

That machine was a real deal. I used it for three years. And just a month or so ago Tivo was offering a sale on the newer Tivo Bolt and they threw in an option to transfer the lifetime service from my old machine to my new one for $99. A great offer. The machines are great, and and the operating system on the TIVO is excellent. I'm surprised to see people complaining about customer support. I've called them a few times on tech issues. And yes, they're outside this country. But they are very knowledgeable, polite, and will stick with you until your problems are resolved.

Reviewed Nov. 28, 2017

Please be aware that TiVo customer service and tech support are notoriously bad. My own experience with them was extremely frustrating: the new Bolt I purchased for $300 soon developed major defects, they sent me a "refreshed" unit with even more defects and I went around and around with them for many months, being continually lied to and misrepresented by their employees (mostly making promises that were never fulfilled). I finally documented all written contacts with them then disputed bogus charges with my credit company - and won! Recommend you check out: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/tivo.html. I believe they hope dissatisfied customers will just give and go away, which many do due to the extreme frustration of dealing with this company.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2017

Loved the idea of the TiVo Box but once we decided it wasn't going to work out for us, we were stuck with making payments for a year. Called to explain why it wouldn't work and they didn't seem to care. I get it's only $15 a month but what a stupid thing to hold on to as a company. Maybe I'd be back, maybe I could find a way to make it work but now I will never use or recommend anyone to use this service. It's too bad.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2017

Multiple phone calls and no resolution. Very poorly trained staff, who make you walk through a series of troubleshooting steps each time, even though you just did them. The result is that you can never get anything actually resolved in less than an hour. Also, they ask you questions, then don't listen to the answer – and ask the same question seconds later.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2017

I purchased my TiVo over 2 years ago and really appreciated it. They appeared to have spent a lot of time on human interface issues, especially searching for shows. I even went and purchased a lifetime subscription. About a month ago, they made some firmware changes and I noticed two new things that really bothered me; - Before the highlight color was yellow and now it's white; the white is much more glaring, harder to read, and annoying. - Before, when I turned on my TV