Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.65/5

TiVo Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought new Tivo and less than a year, it shut down and would not get past the "just a few minutes more" reboot cycle. I called Tivo. They had me try a different outlet!? Really? It comes on, and reboots, how can that be the problem? Roku, Blu Ray, Wii, tuning adapter, sound bar, television, and Logitech Harmony control hub are working from same power strip, UPS and power conditioner. Their answer was a bad hard drive and they were going to replace the Tivo Bolt. They then wanted to charge me an advance replacement fee, so I opted to send in Tivo and have them ship the replacement. I received replacement within one week and it too failed within one month, with same symptoms. I had to go through their same ridiculous ritual of plugging Tivo directly into an outlet. So, sent Tivo back and received another replacement.

It failed within one month. Repeated ritual and this time they sent power cord only. I waited 2 weeks, received power cord and called them back because Tivo still didn't work. Went through ritual, above, again and they determined Tivo was defective-- "probably the hard drive has failed." Hmmm, imagine that! Sent Tivo back, received replacement. It failed today, after a little over a month. Went through ritual above and agent told me, "it is impossible for all of these Tivo units to fail like this." She either just called me a liar, or insinuated that I was abusing Tivo. I told the agent that I had 30 years of technical support experience, had multiple technical certifications and could easily gut the Tivo box and replace the faulty hard drive, if I wished, but I very interested to see just how many Tivo devices they would replace before they actually sent a working unit.

She didn't think it was funny and I wasn't trying to be funny. I told her that I was not amused to be called a liar and that I certainly wasn't abusing Tivo. I kept it dust free, as I do all of my electronics. My UPS, power conditioner, and power strip together cost 5x the cost of the Tivo Bolt. I told her that those three devices are also plugged into a surge protected, double grounded outlet, and my seven other devices, sharing that outlet have never had a problem. In fact, that power strip has the most stable and clean power in my whole home. I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she refused. I insisted and she reluctantly connected me to supervisor.

The supervisor went through the above ritual of plugging directly into outlet, just for kicks. I did, and Tivo failed, as expected. I am now about to print the return label. I kept the last shipment box because I knew I'd be replacing Tivo soon. This is the last time. After the next failure, probably next month, I will just replace the hard drive, myself and save myself the humiliation of being called a liar and idiot.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

TIVO is garbage. I purchased the new TiVo BOLT VOX and DVR annual service. Both are ungodly prices to spend on crap. Every way possible TIVO is lacking and really makes me mad then crazy mad. Let’s break down each of the ways TIVO lacks anything to offer. 1) Failure of "Voice search" to find my DVR recordings of movies. TIVO charges me an annual fee to record movies. OK this is why I have TIVO. In addition to TIVO, I pay for COX to record movies on HBO and Showtime, etc. But when I search for my recordings using their voice search on the remote, TIVO doesn't list what I recorded. Instead, TIVO lists movies to purchase on Prime, Voodoo, and Hulu.

2) Failure to play my recorded movies. I know that I recorded this specific movie because I recorded it and I watched the recorded movie last month. So I search my list of recorded movies manually. In the list, I see my recording. I see that I have already watched that recording. But I cannot access my recording. I can only see it. When I click on it, the message says that there are no more tuners available, would I prefer to watch a recording. Not only do I have all of my tuners available, but I am trying to watch something I have previously recorded and watched. What am I paying for TIVO? Hello anyone there? TIVO!!! Hello TIVO??? TIVO!!! Try another service. I loved DirecTV until they screwed me on my bill. Their DVR service was great. So was DirecTV's Remote.

3) The TIVO remote sucks in every way that a remote can suck. Shape sucks, functions suck, search sucks, waiting or lag time to do something sucks. TIVO!!! I suggest trying any other service and then cut the cord before going to TIVO and paying for the equipment up front and then paying for their service because they suck the money from your wallet for nothing in return. 4) Oh! The skip commercial function sucks too. Inconsistently available for programs. Same program, sometimes the skip is there, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why do they advertise the skip function. That should be against the law for deceptive advertising. When skip is available it doesn’t always work correctly. Run from TIVO.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Received an email that my TIVO was on a list for deactivation, but, I was assured that I would NOT be deactivated. Well, I was! I have a Lifetime on a Premier. I've called several times, and get the run-around that it will take 3-5 days to activate it. I have a bad feeling that they are trying to get me to buy another DVR product because I'm on Lifetime. They don't make money on us Lifetime members.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Bought a new Roamio OTA months ago, within 2.5 months fan noise level was awful, TiVo replaced new unit with refurbished. Fast forward 7 months, fan noise was back. TiVo held firm they were not going to work with me regarding fan and warranty because it was after 90 days. 90 days??? Most manufacturers have a 1 year warranty. I paid TiVo to replace unit again, I have a feeling this is going to go around and around. If the fan goes out so quickly, either the fans are poorly constructed, or design of cooling system sucks. Either way, TiVo in my opinion has a warranty policy that isn't built for the consumer, it's built for the company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

There was a time when TiVo was fair to the consumer but has since abandoned that idea or any sense of decency. A little more than two weeks ago, my TiVo was suddenly and inexplicably interrupted - while I was watching a program. The picture was moved to the top right of the screen while the majority of the screen was covered with TiVo's menu. When I attempted to back out of the menu and return the picture to full screen mode, I couldn’t. Then, the TiVo went to restart mode and the picture would go back to the same position up in the top right corner of the screen; then kept repeating the process of restarting over and over. I turned my television off. I had other things to attend to; so when I finally had a small window of time, I called TiVo and spoke with tech support but then realized assistance may take longer than I anticipated due to a language barrier. So, I was given a reference number to use when I called again.

Fast forward a few days later. I called Tech support but this time instead of offering to fix the problem, I was told I need to buy a newer model. I said, "No thanks" since I was told initially offered tech assistance with the box I currently have. I called once more, hoping I would get an honest person to assist me - to no avail. More than two weeks later I receive an email telling me that my payment was past due (on an non-working TiVo box.) So, I decided to call to see if I could get tech support help, once again. I was then told I had to pay the subscription fee prior to receiving tech support. Keeping in mind that I had been told in a prior call that I needed a new box. They were insistent that I pay first before receiving tech support, which may or may not work.

So, my feeling at this time is that I was being blackmailed into either buying a new box, retaining service on an older box which I purchased six years ago that was working perfectly fine until TiVo, intentionally/unintentionally created technical problems when they tried upgrading, without notice, as I was watching a program, to upsell me. In fact, I hadn't used my TiVo in two years and re-subscribed a few months. My box is fine. TiVo is trying to pull a fast one.

It’s unfortunate what TiVo has become and with so much competition available. Amazon becoming a major in this space. Finally, customer service was so much easier to communicate with and issues were resolved in a matter of 30 minutes. I ended up canceling a service that was great, until recently. Very sad for America. Bring CS back to America; stop deceptive practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I've had TiVo for 2 years. Spent over $1300 in equipment plus annual fees. I performed a software upgrade 6 weeks ago and now the equipment is useless. Can't stream Amazon Prime or Netflix. Usually only records parts of shows. They have sent me 2 replacement TiVos with the same issue. I have absolutely no problem streaming with my Apple TV or smart TV on the same network using the same exact cables. TiVo says they can do nothing more to help and I am stuck with $1300 of equipment that is as good as a paperweight. They keep telling me "they are sorry" and "they understand my frustration", but after 25+ hours on the phone with them over the last month, that is not good enough. Stay away from TiVo!!!

Updated on 08/29/2018: I spoke with John from TiVo customer support. His resolution for me was to cancel my account and he told me I can try to sell my equipment on my own on eBay. Again, I can't use or sell equipment that does not work. This is the absolute worst customer support I have ever experienced. I wasted $1300 on TiVo. Stay away from Tivo. Worst product and worst customer support!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I bought the new Tivo Bolt DVR. I was excited to get out with lifetime service for only $300. Even though our old Tivo Premium works fine, it is 7 years old and I figured it could die at any time so why not replace it a little early and save the hassle of having it go out. BAD CHOICE! The Tivo Bolt has serious design flaws. I now have a $300 paperweight and am waiting for TIVO to get their heads out of their ** and make this thing work. They say it is a known problem but they have no idea how long it will take to fix. REALLY? You ship something that doesn't work and you don't know how to fix it and you expect people to just wait for you to get around to it? So far, two weeks and I have heard nothing back from TiVo. Do not buy this piece of crap. TiVo deserves a class-action lawsuit for this one-intentionally shipping out a non-working product!!!

Resolution response: Aug. 19, 2018

Tivo supervisor tech responded by phone(this was a"first") to my negative review(8/9) and advised me to try connecting an ethernet cable to my wi-fi router and my TiVo box. The cable worked and now I am able to view all of the missing(V312) apps.
Thanks, Tivo
PS: I'm not moving to a Comcast DVR after all.

8/19/18

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased a Tivo Roamio/Plus and a Lifetime Service Plan for a total of $1000.00 in Aug 2015. All worked well until three weeks ago when Netflix, Prime Video, and Xfinity On Demand streaming stopped downloading. Also cannot search and record any new TV shows. Customer support is useless. Same answer: "Our software techs know about the problem and they are working on a fix. They will email you when they correct the problem." I've never heard from any TiVo tech support. If hadn't invested so much money in TiVo, I'd dump the box and move on to another DVR recorder. I'm now convinced that TiVo is running a scam on its customers after they've decided that you are a sucker for purchasing their useless products. My advice to anyone thinking about renting or buying a TiVo DON"T DO IT. August 9, 2018.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Apparently TIVO has joined the growing list of companies that have turned their backs on customer service. I have been a satisfied subscriber to the TIVO service for several years and based on that I purchased two Roamio units with lifetime subscriptions and TIVO Desktop Plus to move files between my computer and the Roamio units. Now they have stopped support for Desktop Plus and I am no longer able to transfer files and support says there is no workaround or fix and will not offer any sort of solution. I feel jilted and out a lot of money for no reason.

Updated on 08/15/2018: Within a day I had a response from TIVO support and I thought, great, now something may happen. After one hour of bs and smoke, rebooting computer, modem, TiVo, etc. I called it quits after he said my case will be forwarded to a engineering level and I should hear from them in a few weeks.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My first public review- About a year ago I had decided to buy a TiVo product because of the great reviews and reliability of the products. I bought the Bolt+ that has struggled to be reliable. When my first box failed (hard drive failure) right before the end of the extended warranty, I requested a new Bolt, and was given a refurbished one that I was told was tested too and was as good as new. Well that failed (would not power up) in less than 60 days. I then requested again a new replacement but was reassured that could not do anything else because of policy, even though message boards said others received new boxes. This replacement box did not even work when it arrived.

Numerous hrs on the phone, calling cable company to troubleshoot, I finally called executive customer care and surprisingly got a call back from one of the executives. I called back and was transferred to someone else that said they could only replace my box with a new one if I paid $70 for the new model with voice control. I asked to speak with the executive that reached out and was told for over 20 mins that I could not speak with them. This by far has been my worst customer experience second to Combatant Gentleman's dealing with not even talking to customers (but their CEO actually contacted me directly and took care of all costs).

TiVo Company Information