3.34/5

135 TiVo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is an absolutely corrupt company... They lied to me repeatedly and do not stand behind their word (there are many recordings they have of my conversation with them). My TiVO Bolt went bad after 20 days of use and was told I will receive a replacement. They never did after being promised 3 times. Nobody at the company has accountability and/or bears any responsibility. Lost $300 buying this defective unit but I already made up my mind to never touch a TiVO again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the TiVo OTA. The first one I received worked but the program guide was way off from what the stations had on them. I called them and wrote several emails giving them all the station info they requested. They did absolutely nothing about it. The DVR started making noise after about 2 1/2 months. I returned it and they sent me another one. Same program guide problems. I called them and wrote them 3 more emails with all the information about the station identification and what was really on the channel. They did nothing about it. About a year after I bought it, they still had not addressed even one of the program guide problems. Then I started losing channels.

After about 3 weeks from when the channels quit working I had about one third of the original channels that I started out with. The channel guide was off on 90% of the channels. I tried to get my money back and all I got from the representatives was the runaround. Instead of sending my money back they kept replacing the dvr. When I sent the last dvr back I also returned the power cord and remote. They sent me a replacement dvr but no power cord or remote and said I could try to sell it on eBay. I called them again and they sent me a return label and said they would refund my money. I still haven't gotten a refund. They have my money and all of their equipment.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

"Just got to thinking. Someone would of had to have access or should of in order for changes to be done. I have lived alone for 46 of the 52 months I've owned this box..." Okay this is more or less just me venting. I bought a TiVo series 3 off of eBay Nov. 2014. This was a lifetime subscription that I paid good money for. I have the service transferred into my name. I have it added to cable account at previous address. Works no problems for 6 months. I move. Start a new cable account and use Tivo box periodically for next two years. I cut the cord on cable and box up TiVo box.

A year or so later (present time) Jan. 1 2019 unbox TiVo for new cable service. At which time get a message that the account has been closed. I did not close the account so I think to myself 'how did this happen?' Well have you guys ever made a phone call into a customer service center and get told contradictory statements by different reps. I talked to 3 different people and spent close to 2 1/2 hours on the phone today. I went a different route on third call and got a girl (MISH) who was trying her best to help. Apparently, somehow in January, 2017 the box (that I own and have always had in my possession) got transferred into someone else's name in essence making them the new account holder. Unbeknownst to me, I was still using the box and it was working fine. Sometime before June however I boxed the TiVo up for storage.

According to tech support and not customer service the box was canceled somehow by this new mysterious third owner. Now they are wanting to charge me a discounted fee of $300 and something dollars to reactivate a box (that has already been paid for a lifetime subscription). Contradicting what rep #2 with customer care told me was impossible to activate said box. Which, by the way, contradicted what rep #1 told me. This is corporate bullying of customers. They are wanting me to pay to reactivate a service that had already been paid for because (input sarcasm) I transferred my box to another person and then they canceled the box. That doesn't even make sense. It's not a logical argument.

This box was paid for and not being charged a monthly service fee. This is the type of stuff these big companies get away with that should be punished for... They'll always find a way to get off the hook... Shame, shame, and more shame to all who practice these malevolent ethics. Reason of review: Poor customer service. Monetary Loss: $250. I liked: Service while it worked. I didn't like: Having a working box that was canceled without my permission.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The worst website ever. No utility for even recording a TV show. Useless navigation - designed to evade. Used to be easy to schedule a recording - phone or PC. Now, simply not available and no one cares. Okay, we don't either!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

After almost a year of enjoying a TiVo Bolt it stopped working. I contacted customer service and was sent a replacement which didn’t work! I contacted them and they sent another unit! It didn’t work either! Each time it’s stuck in the “loading information” loop and can’t find my ZIP code. They have replaced it FOUR times! TiVo blames my ISP (HughesNet). HughesNet has bent over backwards to help me without any luck. I now have a unless white box with a one-year subscription! I HATE TiVo.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a new TIVO OTA model and they require a one year MINIMUM subscription! After returning after 2 days as did not meet my needs with DirecTV Now I still got stuck w/ $50 cancellation fee! Be aware of this if you want to just try!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was one of the first Tivo users when it initially appeared in the marketplace. It was a great product, as were follow-up products until my most recent purchase - the Bolt. My unit has to be re-booted over and over or I can get access to my "apps". Calls to Customer Support have been beyond frustrating - as described in many of the other reviews. They make the same useless suggestions over and over. And no matter how often I ask to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold, only to return with no supervisor available, but they have a new useless "fix" to try over and over. Finally the customer service rep said that a supervisor would call me. That did not happen. My Bolt is continuing to only sporadically allow me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. After reading all these reviews, I'm finished with TiVo and will return to my cable provider for these services. I only hope I will be able to cancel my subscription without hassle.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Please do NOT buy Tivo products or continue to invest in Tivo products... Instead wait for alternative solution from Amazon to be announced by the end of year 2018. I have 1 x Tivo Roamio ($600 hardware and $500 lifetime subscription) and 6 x Tivo Minis ($150 ea.) for 6 years now. The product was the best solution for me at the time but the subscription cost, poor software, poor service has caused me nothing but heartache since. I did their latest software update and it caused my box to start rebooting every 1-5 min.

Their support is poorly trained and extremely frustrating to deal with... asking me to troubleshoot and test every cable and even the location to prove to them that their box is rebooting. I have had 3 RMAs so far and each time I have deal with their support it is very taxing. The first RMA had a bad Coax Connector (no Cable signal detected), the second took a dump after doing the required OS upgrade and won't start up. I have asked and offered to pay for a discounted upgrade to a newer piece of hardware twice and both times they have said if I want a newer box that I must pay full retail and buy another lifetime subscription at the tune of another $1,200. I am done, Tivo is on the way out, hold off and wait for an Amazon, Google, or Apple alternative DVR because this one is not worth it anymore.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought new Tivo and less than a year, it shut down and would not get past the "just a few minutes more" reboot cycle. I called Tivo. They had me try a different outlet!? Really? It comes on, and reboots, how can that be the problem? Roku, Blu Ray, Wii, tuning adapter, sound bar, television, and Logitech Harmony control hub are working from same power strip, UPS and power conditioner. Their answer was a bad hard drive and they were going to replace the Tivo Bolt. They then wanted to charge me an advance replacement fee, so I opted to send in Tivo and have them ship the replacement. I received replacement within one week and it too failed within one month, with same symptoms. I had to go through their same ridiculous ritual of plugging Tivo directly into an outlet. So, sent Tivo back and received another replacement.

It failed within one month. Repeated ritual and this time they sent power cord only. I waited 2 weeks, received power cord and called them back because Tivo still didn't work. Went through ritual, above, again and they determined Tivo was defective-- "probably the hard drive has failed." Hmmm, imagine that! Sent Tivo back, received replacement. It failed today, after a little over a month. Went through ritual above and agent told me, "it is impossible for all of these Tivo units to fail like this." She either just called me a liar, or insinuated that I was abusing Tivo. I told the agent that I had 30 years of technical support experience, had multiple technical certifications and could easily gut the Tivo box and replace the faulty hard drive, if I wished, but I very interested to see just how many Tivo devices they would replace before they actually sent a working unit.

She didn't think it was funny and I wasn't trying to be funny. I told her that I was not amused to be called a liar and that I certainly wasn't abusing Tivo. I kept it dust free, as I do all of my electronics. My UPS, power conditioner, and power strip together cost 5x the cost of the Tivo Bolt. I told her that those three devices are also plugged into a surge protected, double grounded outlet, and my seven other devices, sharing that outlet have never had a problem. In fact, that power strip has the most stable and clean power in my whole home. I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she refused. I insisted and she reluctantly connected me to supervisor.

The supervisor went through the above ritual of plugging directly into outlet, just for kicks. I did, and Tivo failed, as expected. I am now about to print the return label. I kept the last shipment box because I knew I'd be replacing Tivo soon. This is the last time. After the next failure, probably next month, I will just replace the hard drive, myself and save myself the humiliation of being called a liar and idiot.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

TIVO is garbage. I purchased the new TiVo BOLT VOX and DVR annual service. Both are ungodly prices to spend on crap. Every way possible TIVO is lacking and really makes me mad then crazy mad. Let’s break down each of the ways TIVO lacks anything to offer. 1) Failure of "Voice search" to find my DVR recordings of movies. TIVO charges me an annual fee to record movies. OK this is why I have TIVO. In addition to TIVO, I pay for COX to record movies on HBO and Showtime, etc. But when I search for my recordings using their voice search on the remote, TIVO doesn't list what I recorded. Instead, TIVO lists movies to purchase on Prime, Voodoo, and Hulu.

2) Failure to play my recorded movies. I know that I recorded this specific movie because I recorded it and I watched the recorded movie last month. So I search my list of recorded movies manually. In the list, I see my recording. I see that I have already watched that recording. But I cannot access my recording. I can only see it. When I click on it, the message says that there are no more tuners available, would I prefer to watch a recording. Not only do I have all of my tuners available, but I am trying to watch something I have previously recorded and watched. What am I paying for TIVO? Hello anyone there? TIVO!!! Hello TIVO??? TIVO!!! Try another service. I loved DirecTV until they screwed me on my bill. Their DVR service was great. So was DirecTV's Remote.

3) The TIVO remote sucks in every way that a remote can suck. Shape sucks, functions suck, search sucks, waiting or lag time to do something sucks. TIVO!!! I suggest trying any other service and then cut the cord before going to TIVO and paying for the equipment up front and then paying for their service because they suck the money from your wallet for nothing in return. 4) Oh! The skip commercial function sucks too. Inconsistently available for programs. Same program, sometimes the skip is there, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why do they advertise the skip function. That should be against the law for deceptive advertising. When skip is available it doesn’t always work correctly. Run from TIVO.

TiVo Company Information