Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TiVo Reviews

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2019

I wrote a bad review on October 24, 2019 which at the time was extremely accurate. Tivo has a lot of opportunities to improve their customer service. My frustration went on for 9 months with the bolt product not working with my equipment when other products like Roku worked fine. I am happy to report that TiVo's management team got involved and solved my issue! I only wish this could have been resolved through normal customer service channels. Bottom line the equipment works as expected and I now give them 5 stars for taking care of a loyal customer! Thank you TiVo management team!!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This company ignores its customers and sells products which they know are defective. I purchased a Bolt and have nothing but problems. When one calls their CS they are not helpful and unwilling to help. Instead, they tell you lies and make fake promises. I have had several calls to their executive CS people who again make promises but fail to deliver. Unfortunately, I have 4 other TIVO receivers so I can't just abandon them. BEWARE before you purchase any products from this company. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TIVO PRODUCT....

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

When installed 18 months ago, I thought TiVo was the best. One remote, all the apps, great interface and DVR. I bought lifetime service. I was so impressed. Today it’s gone. Three tuner failures. Those are a bummer but the worst is the apps like Netflix freeze and stop requiring getting the other remote and having the smart tv do it. Sometimes regular TV freezes. Customer service gives the same fixes and the stuff still doesn’t work. (Unplug everything and restart, force connect to TiVo server). Their tracking system is great for complaints. I see all the times I have called or been assisted. I finally gave up. Installed Apple TV on older smart TVs and use the newer smart tv by themselves. I like Apple best although no DVR. Life is way too short to deal with TiVo.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have been a customer for almost 20 years. I had a tuner fail in my 2-year-old unit and they fought me on the failure. My cable provider spent 20 hours at my house troubleshooting their signal and service for no reason in order to meet TiVo's needs in order to replace the unit. After replacing the unit, the new one had a video output failure after 3 hours of use. That was 2 weeks ago. I called and was assured my new unit would ship to arrive in 3-5 business days. After a week I called to see what was going on and it hadn't shipped. They blamed me, supposedly fixed the issue and said a new unit would be expedited and I would have it in 2 business days, that was 5 days ago. I contacted them again today to learn it hasn't shipped.

The rep couldn't provide me info and said someone would follow up via email today, I doubt it will happen. Even worse I'm paying for TiVo and cable and cannot use them because this is my only interface, they won't issue me credit in any way and I have no idea when this will be resolved. In the age of "cable-cutting", it is a matter of time (a short amount in my opinion) before Tivo goes away if they cannot get this act together.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I cancelled my account with TiVo after 15 or so years. When I talked to the CSR she said it would cost me $75.00 to cancel. After we had a heart to heart and she cleared it with her supervisor she came back saying there would be no charge and appreciated all the years of me being a TIVO client. Today my Amex statement shows a $75.00 pending charge. Short term memory on their part, not sure but I will dispute it. It is only a matter of time before TIVO is out of business.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My original Bolt DVR had a hard disk failure after being used for two years. I was told to return it, and I bought a refurbished unit from TiVo for $50. To make a long story short, that first refurbished unit didn't work, and over time I was given two additional refurbished Bolt units which also didn't work. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED STUFF FROM TIVO! I ended up buying a new TiVo Bolt through Amazon. After reading all the negative postings here, I hope it performs! I have a feeling this company is going down the tubes. Someone over there is smoking too much weed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have had TiVo for over 20 years. As of mid-June, their app to watch On Demand programming through Comcast/Xfinity has expired. The message indicates it was old and never updated. With Comcast being one of the largest providers of cable tv in the country, I am amazed TiVo allowed it to occur, and incredibly frustrated that it's not resolved. I was told it would be resolved by June 30. I just called support again, and they say I should have never been told that, they have no idea if it will ever work again.

I pay $200/month for cable, and watch On Demand constantly. To not be able to access it because TiVo never bothered to keep the app up to date is unacceptable, irresponsible and very poor planning on TiVo's part. I paid money to watch a show last night via Prime, which I could have gotten for free from Comcast. I just upgraded to a TiVo Bolt, spent a lot of money on it, now can't even use if for the primary reason I bought it. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We were planning a trip to Europe and my husband wanted to watch his favorite sports so we called TiVo and others to see if they had a product that would allow us to record a program and then access it via the internet from overseas. The salesperson at TiVo assured me that their product allowed us to playback recorded programs from anywhere. NOT TRUE. It only allows playback from within the residence where TiVo is installed.

We spent $250 on the box plus almost $16/month for the service that was sold on a false promise. That wasn't bad enough but the service and product are not very good. We were never able to sync our TV to the TiVo remote despite several phone calls to customer service. Service went down many times requiring us to restart completely with Cable provider. After 10 months we gave up and switched to a DVR provided by Spectrum which is fabulous. Tried to cancel and they will charge us $90 for cancelling before the year is up. Will therefore pay for two more months of lousy service, then cancel and be free of this lousy product.

Original review: June 19, 2019

05/14/19 NO STARS have been waiting on a $1000+ refund that is WAY overdue - yet, they have all of their equipment... DO NOT order with them if you plan on counting on their refund. Horrible, now I am still with DirecTV. Time to get only streaming.... TiVo, Inc. Response. 05/21/2019 TiVo has worked with the customer to resolve the above inquiry. TiVo and the customer have reached an agreement which suits both parties and the customer has agreed that the matter is resolved to her satisfaction. TiVo considers this inquiry to be closed. Customer Response. 05/21/2019. They called me AFTER I filed reviews - ONLY then... Still waiting on the rest of my refund. Not RESOLVED until that is credited to my account! TiVo should not consider this inquiry to be "CLOSED" until they reimburse me for items they are in possession. It is not CLOSED.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been a TiVo customer for over a decade. I have 8 TiVo devices in my home. Within my home I’m able to watch content from one TiVo DVR on another one. When I leave home on vacation, I set up out-of-home streaming on my iPad. This works for a day or two, although often the TiVo app requires me to setup again. After a few of these repeat set-up for out-of-home streaming, the app gets hung up as soon as the app is launched. And it is not just slow, as I’ve let it run for hours with no success.

I just now chatted with someone at TiVo. Her advice was to set up out-of-home streaming the next time I am home. She was not smart enough to understand that this issue happens all the time with the app, and that her solution is not satisfactory as it works for only a day or two. I have also received a message from the TiVo app on other recent vacations that TiVo is shutting my access down to my TiVo DVRs because it thinks I have exceeded the number of devices accessing my DVRs. This simply is not true as I only access the content from one iPad. The app often requires me to reset the out-of-home streaming while out of home, which it allows me to do a few times. Their software must assume each time I do this it must be a new device. I really am fed up with TiVo. I suggest potential customers find another way to stream content while away from home.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 10 years, a lot of my Tivo boxes are obsolete except my Tivo Bold. This company was so good before and now the competitions pass them. 99% of the time I cannot stream my shows.... Contacted them many times and stuck with the same issue. No difference if I’m home with my WIFI or out at my office streaming is not good. I’m using an iPad pro and everything disconnects in the middle of a show and I need to reconnect the streaming device. This device Bolt system is using the same network and I give 1/2 star. I’m just frustrated.... This is going on or more than 4 months.

TiVo Company Information