Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.65/5

TiVo Reviews

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Not sure if the makers really think about their updates. The last update is a joke. Why would you take away something that took 1 button click and now make it 4 clicks. It's so frustrating. Just to play a recorded show is now 4 clicks. Sh.. Get your collective heads out of your butts and ask your consumers what they think before you force it on us.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Let me start by saying that I love TiVo products and heretofore have never had problems with technical support. Even this time the support itself was fine. My problem is with the monies that I had to commit to receive a replacement for a defective TiVo Mini VOX. I have had a Mini VOX for a little over a year when it failed. (Wouldn't you know - just a couple of weeks out of warranty!) Anyway, I called tech support and, after a few tests they confirmed that it was the TiVo that had failed and not some other part of my setup. So we arranged for a discounted replacement. In order to secure this I was charged up front for the replacement ($51) for the replacement + $190 for deposit in case I did not return the defective unit. The $190 is the price for a complete system including manuals, power supply, and remote control in addition to the TiVo itself (actually $180 at Best Buy).

What I received from them was just the TiVo itself - and a refurbished unit to boot. OK, so I get the $190 back... in a couple of weeks... but why did I have to lay down monies for two systems - the $50 for the refurb they were sending plus $190 for a complete new system? Adding salt into the wound, the refurb they sent me was dead on arrival!!! I am now waiting for a second replacement (fortunately they did not hit me up for another deposit). Whenever I have had to return merchandise under these conditions in the past, the vendor takes my credit card number with the understanding that If I do not return the defect unit being replaced I will be charged the full amount for the replacement.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This is an absolutely corrupt company... They lied to me repeatedly and do not stand behind their word (there are many recordings they have of my conversation with them). My TiVO Bolt went bad after 20 days of use and was told I will receive a replacement. They never did after being promised 3 times. Nobody at the company has accountability and/or bears any responsibility. Lost $300 buying this defective unit but I already made up my mind to never touch a TiVO again!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought the TiVo OTA. The first one I received worked but the program guide was way off from what the stations had on them. I called them and wrote several emails giving them all the station info they requested. They did absolutely nothing about it. The DVR started making noise after about 2 1/2 months. I returned it and they sent me another one. Same program guide problems. I called them and wrote them 3 more emails with all the information about the station identification and what was really on the channel. They did nothing about it. About a year after I bought it, they still had not addressed even one of the program guide problems. Then I started losing channels.

After about 3 weeks from when the channels quit working I had about one third of the original channels that I started out with. The channel guide was off on 90% of the channels. I tried to get my money back and all I got from the representatives was the runaround. Instead of sending my money back they kept replacing the dvr. When I sent the last dvr back I also returned the power cord and remote. They sent me a replacement dvr but no power cord or remote and said I could try to sell it on eBay. I called them again and they sent me a return label and said they would refund my money. I still haven't gotten a refund. They have my money and all of their equipment.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

"Just got to thinking. Someone would of had to have access or should of in order for changes to be done. I have lived alone for 46 of the 52 months I've owned this box..." Okay this is more or less just me venting. I bought a TiVo series 3 off of eBay Nov. 2014. This was a lifetime subscription that I paid good money for. I have the service transferred into my name. I have it added to cable account at previous address. Works no problems for 6 months. I move. Start a new cable account and use Tivo box periodically for next two years. I cut the cord on cable and box up TiVo box.

A year or so later (present time) Jan. 1 2019 unbox TiVo for new cable service. At which time get a message that the account has been closed. I did not close the account so I think to myself 'how did this happen?' Well have you guys ever made a phone call into a customer service center and get told contradictory statements by different reps. I talked to 3 different people and spent close to 2 1/2 hours on the phone today. I went a different route on third call and got a girl (MISH) who was trying her best to help. Apparently, somehow in January, 2017 the box (that I own and have always had in my possession) got transferred into someone else's name in essence making them the new account holder. Unbeknownst to me, I was still using the box and it was working fine. Sometime before June however I boxed the TiVo up for storage.

According to tech support and not customer service the box was canceled somehow by this new mysterious third owner. Now they are wanting to charge me a discounted fee of $300 and something dollars to reactivate a box (that has already been paid for a lifetime subscription). Contradicting what rep #2 with customer care told me was impossible to activate said box. Which, by the way, contradicted what rep #1 told me. This is corporate bullying of customers. They are wanting me to pay to reactivate a service that had already been paid for because (input sarcasm) I transferred my box to another person and then they canceled the box. That doesn't even make sense. It's not a logical argument.

This box was paid for and not being charged a monthly service fee. This is the type of stuff these big companies get away with that should be punished for... They'll always find a way to get off the hook... Shame, shame, and more shame to all who practice these malevolent ethics. Reason of review: Poor customer service. Monetary Loss: $250. I liked: Service while it worked. I didn't like: Having a working box that was canceled without my permission.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The worst website ever. No utility for even recording a TV show. Useless navigation - designed to evade. Used to be easy to schedule a recording - phone or PC. Now, simply not available and no one cares. Okay, we don't either!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

After almost a year of enjoying a TiVo Bolt it stopped working. I contacted customer service and was sent a replacement which didn’t work! I contacted them and they sent another unit! It didn’t work either! Each time it’s stuck in the “loading information” loop and can’t find my ZIP code. They have replaced it FOUR times! TiVo blames my ISP (HughesNet). HughesNet has bent over backwards to help me without any luck. I now have a unless white box with a one-year subscription! I HATE TiVo.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Purchased a new TIVO OTA model and they require a one year MINIMUM subscription! After returning after 2 days as did not meet my needs with DirecTV Now I still got stuck w/ $50 cancellation fee! Be aware of this if you want to just try!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I was one of the first Tivo users when it initially appeared in the marketplace. It was a great product, as were follow-up products until my most recent purchase - the Bolt. My unit has to be re-booted over and over or I can get access to my "apps". Calls to Customer Support have been beyond frustrating - as described in many of the other reviews. They make the same useless suggestions over and over. And no matter how often I ask to speak to a supervisor, they put me on hold, only to return with no supervisor available, but they have a new useless "fix" to try over and over. Finally the customer service rep said that a supervisor would call me. That did not happen. My Bolt is continuing to only sporadically allow me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. After reading all these reviews, I'm finished with TiVo and will return to my cable provider for these services. I only hope I will be able to cancel my subscription without hassle.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Please do NOT buy Tivo products or continue to invest in Tivo products... Instead wait for alternative solution from Amazon to be announced by the end of year 2018. I have 1 x Tivo Roamio ($600 hardware and $500 lifetime subscription) and 6 x Tivo Minis ($150 ea.) for 6 years now. The product was the best solution for me at the time but the subscription cost, poor software, poor service has caused me nothing but heartache since. I did their latest software update and it caused my box to start rebooting every 1-5 min.

Their support is poorly trained and extremely frustrating to deal with... asking me to troubleshoot and test every cable and even the location to prove to them that their box is rebooting. I have had 3 RMAs so far and each time I have deal with their support it is very taxing. The first RMA had a bad Coax Connector (no Cable signal detected), the second took a dump after doing the required OS upgrade and won't start up. I have asked and offered to pay for a discounted upgrade to a newer piece of hardware twice and both times they have said if I want a newer box that I must pay full retail and buy another lifetime subscription at the tune of another $1,200. I am done, Tivo is on the way out, hold off and wait for an Amazon, Google, or Apple alternative DVR because this one is not worth it anymore.

TiVo Company Information