3.9/5 (303 ratings)

About TiVo

TiVo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I have been a customer since the startup of TiVo and yes it does truly make tv your own! However, equipment and customer service are terrible. They can't seem to supply a receiver that will last more than two years. When you call you get people you can't understand and they can't understand you! My two year old Bolt crashed and they are sending me a replacement Edge (for $200), eight days later I receive the Edge without even a power cord! Seven days later I'm still waiting on power cord. This is like buying a car without tires! Again, the Tivo experience is great but equipment is unreliable and customer service has gotten progressively worse through the years. I purchased a lifetime subscription from the beginning but you still pay a high price for the equipment. Be warned, great tv may come at a price with some serious frustration.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Constant frustration. We invested in a very expensive "life-time" system 3 years ago that was supposed to save us money over many years and it's been a nightmare and constant frustration. Equipment has been faulty and behind the times with technology. Their customer service is terrible and if any of their equipment stops working because they update their system then they make you buy new equipment and call it a "replacement fee!" I ordered 2 replacements $84.99/each and when they both didn't work properly they refused to refund my money or replace the boxes with "new" equipment. They want to send more re-furbished equipment. If you ask to speak to a supervisor they say they won't transfer you. I don't see the company will be in business much longer.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I have called TiVo many times to resolve. What happens is that occasionally when I go to try an app like Amazon or Netflix I get a licked up black screen. It used to work so well but since they added roll out ads it hasn’t. They wanted me to pay $140 for a new box. I balked having been with tivo from their start. Then they came back with $70. I said I’m done with tivo. They are in their way out, reputation is shot.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I have been a TiVo customer for over 15 years in spite of the complication it represents. As the technology started slipping, I was asked in April 2020 to update my TiVo equipment to troubleshoot the connectivity issues. So I did and spent $600. Fast forward a August, the entire TiVo connection is down again. This time they asked me to change my modem, which I did. Still nothing. It’s been over 10 hours on the phone with support now. The agent is still unable to troubleshoot and becomes extremely rude and asks me to be “more patient” as I am getting increasingly frustrated by the whole situation. I told that was inappropriate, but he did again in an even more patronizing tone.

An hour later, still nothing. I asked to be transferred to client services since at this point I just want to cancel and be done with them. The manager at the client success team tells us that we need yet another piece of hardware, which we will receive on Thursday - 10 days after it all begun. I explain that I am done with TiVo and simply want a refund on my prepaid annual subscription. He refuses. In short, I have a defective TiVo connection, a customer service who won’t provide a refund, and brand new equipment I no longer need because I am still cancelling them no matter what. Horrible technology, even worse support, and unfair business practices.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

After being a Tivo Customer for 20 years I quit. One of my DVRs suddenly stopped reading the cable card according to Tivo "Tech Support". So they were going to send me a replacement via FedEx. I paid for the unit and shipping and heard nothing. After multiple calls they said there was an "issue" with my address even though they had shipped Tivo products to the same address in the past. Every time I call they say they are "processing" my address. It's going on 3 weeks now. Tivo products are great. Customer Service used to be U.S. based and was great but ever since the company was bought by Rovi it has no Customer Support to speak of. Too bad.

Resolution response: July 15, 2020

As a result of posting this initial review, a Tivo “executive support” tech called me. He was one of their elite techs that a customer calling can not be transferred to no matter how bad your situation. Cust. service has to send his group an email before they can be bothered to talk to you. He was friendly enough, but was not entirely familiar with the menus on my unit, and he had not read the history of my prior calls. He led me through a series of troubleshooting steps to rule out some possible problems. Then he directed me to try deleting some data on my unit, saying that the system would restore it. This locked up the unit completely!

I got a hold of him the next day and this time he said I had 2 options: Buy another unit (a refurbished one for $350) or try running another routine that “should” fix the problem (note that he really doesn’t know what the problem is) but will delete all of the programs my wife and I had recorded! I went the delete all option, because after all the frustration I’ve been through with Tivo’s support people, I’m sure not buying another Tivo.

Original review: July 8, 2020

We cut-the-cord on cable TV a couple of years ago, switching to a Tivo box, over-the-air local channels, and streaming providers. The Tivo box worked fine for over a year, recording the over-the-air shows just as I had set up. Recently it has skipped recording some of my daily shows. It will record several days of shows correctly, and then skip a day. I called Tivo support about this over a month ago. They told me it was a known issue for about a year and many customers are having the same problem. They could not say when it will be fixed, but it should be soon.

Now, over a month later, the Tivo box failed to record again. I called Tivo Tech Suprt. again. She told me engineering is still working on it. She said it’s a software issue and “everyone is working on it” — very suspicious. Ask yourself, how could everyone in engineering be working on a software bug and still not have it resolved after one year! I’m tired of getting lied to. Here’s the bottom line: TIVO IS MORE INTERESTED IN SELLING PRODUCT THEN FIXING PROBLEMS CUSTOMERS ARE HAVING with their products.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a Tivo Bolt in 2016 with the lifetime subscription. I bought it right before they were discontinuing the lifetime subscriptions service. I have never been charged for service. In 2018 I bought a Tivo Mini to work off of the Bolt for another room in the house. I liked the fact that you didn't need any additional service fees to use the mini off the Bolt. A couple weeks ago, Tivo started asking me for an updated credit card to charge me for my annual service plan. I thought, that can't be, because I have the lifetime subscription and ignored it.

I started getting the service will be discontinued messages. So I sent an email, which ended with them saying, "You only have lifetime on the mini." I called to speak to a representative and they again said the same thing. "You only have the lifetime on the mini." I tried to explain to them, that the Bolt has the lifetime subscription, and the mini doesn't need a subscription, just an activation. The woman refused to listen and kept repeating that the mini has the lifetime subscription and then proceeded to tell me that Tivo made an error in not collecting my annual subscription for 4 years!!!

As a courtesy they are not going collect my back subscription but in order to keep service, I need to provide a valid credit card. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told, they will just tell you the same thing. This is not customer service at all, and I feel like I have been robbed! This new company merger is trying to cheat and steal it's customers. Like the new commercial they force you to watch at the beginning of your recorded programming!? This is a JOKE! I used to LOVE tivo, I have been with Tivo since 2000 when I bought my first series 2, I still have it! But this is a deceitful company now, they don't listen to t

Original review: June 13, 2020

I had to give one star to submit review but would prefer to give Tivo zero stars. I have owned Tivos since 2003 and been very happy. I never had a problem. Recently my Tivo quit working. I called for tech support and was told Tivo would replace my current defective Tivo for a service fee of $79 and I could transfer my lifetime service for $199. I agreed because I had had nothing but great service for 17 years. Since May I have received 3 replacement Tivo Bolts and spent hours over 4 week on the phone with tech support. One day I was on the phone for 4 hours running diagnostics! Tivo continues to blame my cable company when they have nowhere else to go. My previous Tivo worked just fine in this house, with this tv and cable company. The only thing that changed is the new Tive. Even so, I have made several calls to the cable company and even had a cable tech come to the house and check-out everything.

The current replacement has the same problem: difficulty changing channels, with up to a 5 second delay. I am in no way a tech person but I can now identify and change HDMI cables, move thru the diagnostic pages on the Tivo screen, tell you about SNR, dB and signal strength. I even added splitters and an attenuator (which I learned reduces signal strength) and added a second attenuator because my signal strength was still too high!

In addition, Tivo has forced ads into my recorded programs. When selecting a recorded program one of 3 things occurs: it occasionally goes right to the program, more likely though, a grey screen appears for 3 to 5 seconds and then a commercial for a new Tivo channel, or an additional commercial for a product or service is run before the program starts. These commercials can be skipped but it is not a smooth process. Hitting skip or the FFward button cause the screen to jump around, go black, the small corner screen (upper right) appears and finally the program starts. I am saddened by the changes Tivo has made. I have asked for a refund and will gladly send back the new box but to no avail. I was told I need to try one more box. Bottom line. Do not purchase a Tivo or services. If yours dies, move on to a different company.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Having been a TiVo client for several years, my experiences have been unsatisfactory. Recently one of my TiVo minis malfunctioned - I paid for and was provided a replacement -however both the first and second replacement were faulty. I spent hours on the phone with TiVo technical support. Then my main box, a TiVo Bolt malfunctioned - again hours on the phone with technical support who identified that the Bolt was faulty. I was offered to buy a replacement Bolt, but preferred to upgrade to TiVo Edge which is reputed to be more dependable than the Bolt. I requested a credit for the faulty Bolt or some accommodation on purchasing an Edge but this was denied -I would have to buy the Edge as if a new customer with no credit offered for the Bolt. So after multiple device failures in a two week period, hours on the phone with technical support - all wasted time, the customer service approach was take it or leave it - poor and I will be leaving TiVo.

Original review: March 13, 2020

My Tivo subscription ended and 3/3/20 I re-upped my service on that day. I also removed my old Tivo bolt and replaced in on the same day. I called Tivo billing and had them remove my old Bolt from my account and put the new charges to my new Bolt device. On 3/10/20 I checked my bank charges and saw that Tivo had billed me an additional $149.99. On 3/11/20 The original charge cleared but after speaking to their billing services dept. they assured my I would be refunded the $149.99 after 3-5 days.

Today 3/13/20 I see they charged me AGAIN this time for $160.11. Again I contacted tivo billing to have yet another bogus charge removed. Again they tell me 3-5 days. They charged me 2 additional times for the same service and now I have to wait 3-5 days for the first charge to be removed and another 3-5 days for a second bogus charge to be removed. I would cancel this "service" but I just bought a new Bolt device AND paid for a 1 year subscription, so I would be out that money as well. This will be my last year of Tivo "service". They are quick to charge my account but I have to wait until they are good and ready to maybe refund my money. Heck, they could just charge me again and again and again if they wanted just to tie up my money. They are BS. Do NOT buy their service or their device. They are a rip-off.

TiVo Company Information