1.35/5
Based on 110 reviews that contain star ratings

117 TiVo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought new Tivo and less than a year, it shut down and would not get past the "just a few minutes more" reboot cycle. I called Tivo. They had me try a different outlet!? Really? It comes on, and reboots, how can that be the problem? Roku, Blu Ray, Wii, tuning adapter, sound bar, television, and Logitech Harmony control hub are working from same power strip, UPS and power conditioner. Their answer was a bad hard drive and they were going to replace the Tivo Bolt. They then wanted to charge me an advance replacement fee, so I opted to send in Tivo and have them ship the replacement. I received replacement within one week and it too failed within one month, with same symptoms. I had to go through their same ridiculous ritual of plugging Tivo directly into an outlet. So, sent Tivo back and received another replacement.

It failed within one month. Repeated ritual and this time they sent power cord only. I waited 2 weeks, received power cord and called them back because Tivo still didn't work. Went through ritual, above, again and they determined Tivo was defective-- "probably the hard drive has failed." Hmmm, imagine that! Sent Tivo back, received replacement. It failed today, after a little over a month. Went through ritual above and agent told me, "it is impossible for all of these Tivo units to fail like this." She either just called me a liar, or insinuated that I was abusing Tivo. I told the agent that I had 30 years of technical support experience, had multiple technical certifications and could easily gut the Tivo box and replace the faulty hard drive, if I wished, but I very interested to see just how many Tivo devices they would replace before they actually sent a working unit.

She didn't think it was funny and I wasn't trying to be funny. I told her that I was not amused to be called a liar and that I certainly wasn't abusing Tivo. I kept it dust free, as I do all of my electronics. My UPS, power conditioner, and power strip together cost 5x the cost of the Tivo Bolt. I told her that those three devices are also plugged into a surge protected, double grounded outlet, and my seven other devices, sharing that outlet have never had a problem. In fact, that power strip has the most stable and clean power in my whole home. I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she refused. I insisted and she reluctantly connected me to supervisor.

The supervisor went through the above ritual of plugging directly into outlet, just for kicks. I did, and Tivo failed, as expected. I am now about to print the return label. I kept the last shipment box because I knew I'd be replacing Tivo soon. This is the last time. After the next failure, probably next month, I will just replace the hard drive, myself and save myself the humiliation of being called a liar and idiot.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

TIVO is garbage. I purchased the new TiVo BOLT VOX and DVR annual service. Both are ungodly prices to spend on crap. Every way possible TIVO is lacking and really makes me mad then crazy mad. Let’s break down each of the ways TIVO lacks anything to offer. 1) Failure of "Voice search" to find my DVR recordings of movies. TIVO charges me an annual fee to record movies. OK this is why I have TIVO. In addition to TIVO, I pay for COX to record movies on HBO and Showtime, etc. But when I search for my recordings using their voice search on the remote, TIVO doesn't list what I recorded. Instead, TIVO lists movies to purchase on Prime, Voodoo, and Hulu.

2) Failure to play my recorded movies. I know that I recorded this specific movie because I recorded it and I watched the recorded movie last month. So I search my list of recorded movies manually. In the list, I see my recording. I see that I have already watched that recording. But I cannot access my recording. I can only see it. When I click on it, the message says that there are no more tuners available, would I prefer to watch a recording. Not only do I have all of my tuners available, but I am trying to watch something I have previously recorded and watched. What am I paying for TIVO? Hello anyone there? TIVO!!! Hello TIVO??? TIVO!!! Try another service. I loved DirecTV until they screwed me on my bill. Their DVR service was great. So was DirecTV's Remote.

3) The TIVO remote sucks in every way that a remote can suck. Shape sucks, functions suck, search sucks, waiting or lag time to do something sucks. TIVO!!! I suggest trying any other service and then cut the cord before going to TIVO and paying for the equipment up front and then paying for their service because they suck the money from your wallet for nothing in return. 4) Oh! The skip commercial function sucks too. Inconsistently available for programs. Same program, sometimes the skip is there, sometimes not. Mostly not. Why do they advertise the skip function. That should be against the law for deceptive advertising. When skip is available it doesn’t always work correctly. Run from TIVO.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Received an email that my TIVO was on a list for deactivation, but, I was assured that I would NOT be deactivated. Well, I was! I have a Lifetime on a Premier. I've called several times, and get the run-around that it will take 3-5 days to activate it. I have a bad feeling that they are trying to get me to buy another DVR product because I'm on Lifetime. They don't make money on us Lifetime members.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Bought a new Roamio OTA months ago, within 2.5 months fan noise level was awful, TiVo replaced new unit with refurbished. Fast forward 7 months, fan noise was back. TiVo held firm they were not going to work with me regarding fan and warranty because it was after 90 days. 90 days??? Most manufacturers have a 1 year warranty. I paid TiVo to replace unit again, I have a feeling this is going to go around and around. If the fan goes out so quickly, either the fans are poorly constructed, or design of cooling system sucks. Either way, TiVo in my opinion has a warranty policy that isn't built for the consumer, it's built for the company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

There was a time when TiVo was fair to the consumer but has since abandoned that idea or any sense of decency. A little more than two weeks ago, my TiVo was suddenly and inexplicably interrupted - while I was watching a program. The picture was moved to the top right of the screen while the majority of the screen was covered with TiVo's menu. When I attempted to back out of the menu and return the picture to full screen mode, I couldn’t. Then, the TiVo went to restart mode and the picture would go back to the same position up in the top right corner of the screen; then kept repeating the process of restarting over and over. I turned my television off. I had other things to attend to; so when I finally had a small window of time, I called TiVo and spoke with tech support but then realized assistance may take longer than I anticipated due to a language barrier. So, I was given a reference number to use when I called again.

Fast forward a few days later. I called Tech support but this time instead of offering to fix the problem, I was told I need to buy a newer model. I said, "No thanks" since I was told initially offered tech assistance with the box I currently have. I called once more, hoping I would get an honest person to assist me - to no avail. More than two weeks later I receive an email telling me that my payment was past due (on an non-working TiVo box.) So, I decided to call to see if I could get tech support help, once again. I was then told I had to pay the subscription fee prior to receiving tech support. Keeping in mind that I had been told in a prior call that I needed a new box. They were insistent that I pay first before receiving tech support, which may or may not work.

So, my feeling at this time is that I was being blackmailed into either buying a new box, retaining service on an older box which I purchased six years ago that was working perfectly fine until TiVo, intentionally/unintentionally created technical problems when they tried upgrading, without notice, as I was watching a program, to upsell me. In fact, I hadn't used my TiVo in two years and re-subscribed a few months. My box is fine. TiVo is trying to pull a fast one.

It’s unfortunate what TiVo has become and with so much competition available. Amazon becoming a major in this space. Finally, customer service was so much easier to communicate with and issues were resolved in a matter of 30 minutes. I ended up canceling a service that was great, until recently. Very sad for America. Bring CS back to America; stop deceptive practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I've had TiVo for 2 years. Spent over $1300 in equipment plus annual fees. I performed a software upgrade 6 weeks ago and now the equipment is useless. Can't stream Amazon Prime or Netflix. Usually only records parts of shows. They have sent me 2 replacement TiVos with the same issue. I have absolutely no problem streaming with my Apple TV or smart TV on the same network using the same exact cables. TiVo says they can do nothing more to help and I am stuck with $1300 of equipment that is as good as a paperweight. They keep telling me "they are sorry" and "they understand my frustration", but after 25+ hours on the phone with them over the last month, that is not good enough. Stay away from TiVo!!!

Updated on 08/29/2018: I spoke with John from TiVo customer support. His resolution for me was to cancel my account and he told me I can try to sell my equipment on my own on eBay. Again, I can't use or sell equipment that does not work. This is the absolute worst customer support I have ever experienced. I wasted $1300 on TiVo. Stay away from Tivo. Worst product and worst customer support!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I bought the new Tivo Bolt DVR. I was excited to get out with lifetime service for only $300. Even though our old Tivo Premium works fine, it is 7 years old and I figured it could die at any time so why not replace it a little early and save the hassle of having it go out. BAD CHOICE! The Tivo Bolt has serious design flaws. I now have a $300 paperweight and am waiting for TIVO to get their heads out of their ** and make this thing work. They say it is a known problem but they have no idea how long it will take to fix. REALLY? You ship something that doesn't work and you don't know how to fix it and you expect people to just wait for you to get around to it? So far, two weeks and I have heard nothing back from TiVo. Do not buy this piece of crap. TiVo deserves a class-action lawsuit for this one-intentionally shipping out a non-working product!!!

Resolution response: Aug. 19, 2018

Tivo supervisor tech responded by phone(this was a"first") to my negative review(8/9) and advised me to try connecting an ethernet cable to my wi-fi router and my TiVo box. The cable worked and now I am able to view all of the missing(V312) apps.
Thanks, Tivo
PS: I'm not moving to a Comcast DVR after all.

8/19/18

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Purchased a Tivo Roamio/Plus and a Lifetime Service Plan for a total of $1000.00 in Aug 2015. All worked well until three weeks ago when Netflix, Prime Video, and Xfinity On Demand streaming stopped downloading. Also cannot search and record any new TV shows. Customer support is useless. Same answer: "Our software techs know about the problem and they are working on a fix. They will email you when they correct the problem." I've never heard from any TiVo tech support. If hadn't invested so much money in TiVo, I'd dump the box and move on to another DVR recorder. I'm now convinced that TiVo is running a scam on its customers after they've decided that you are a sucker for purchasing their useless products. My advice to anyone thinking about renting or buying a TiVo DON"T DO IT. August 9, 2018.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Apparently TIVO has joined the growing list of companies that have turned their backs on customer service. I have been a satisfied subscriber to the TIVO service for several years and based on that I purchased two Roamio units with lifetime subscriptions and TIVO Desktop Plus to move files between my computer and the Roamio units. Now they have stopped support for Desktop Plus and I am no longer able to transfer files and support says there is no workaround or fix and will not offer any sort of solution. I feel jilted and out a lot of money for no reason.

Updated on 08/15/2018: Within a day I had a response from TIVO support and I thought, great, now something may happen. After one hour of bs and smoke, rebooting computer, modem, TiVo, etc. I called it quits after he said my case will be forwarded to a engineering level and I should hear from them in a few weeks.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My first public review- About a year ago I had decided to buy a TiVo product because of the great reviews and reliability of the products. I bought the Bolt+ that has struggled to be reliable. When my first box failed (hard drive failure) right before the end of the extended warranty, I requested a new Bolt, and was given a refurbished one that I was told was tested too and was as good as new. Well that failed (would not power up) in less than 60 days. I then requested again a new replacement but was reassured that could not do anything else because of policy, even though message boards said others received new boxes. This replacement box did not even work when it arrived.

Numerous hrs on the phone, calling cable company to troubleshoot, I finally called executive customer care and surprisingly got a call back from one of the executives. I called back and was transferred to someone else that said they could only replace my box with a new one if I paid $70 for the new model with voice control. I asked to speak with the executive that reached out and was told for over 20 mins that I could not speak with them. This by far has been my worst customer experience second to Combatant Gentleman's dealing with not even talking to customers (but their CEO actually contacted me directly and took care of all costs).

Original review: May 26, 2018

TiVo's call center technical assistance continues to disappoint & reinforce my decision to go with a cable provided DVR. I spoke with Ezra at the Philippines Call Center - he was pleasant and somewhat helpful as I attempted to get my TiVo HD back online. I started the process of Guided Set-Up and he said that a hot spot Internet connection would work as Internet connection. I just wanted to watch my shows that were saved on my old HD model.

I started the process, then got hung up on the last step, I think it was getting program information... I called back spoke to a woman and she said "Hot Spot will not work with my TiVo" I told it was working, she said no it won't. I then ask her how familiar she was with the older TiVo models... she said she was. I asked to speak to a supervisor she insisted three times that - that was not needed. I insisted a fourth time and she said she would connect me. She then hung up on me. Great service.

I called back, got Ezra again, agent the first time. He was a little confused over my question... would hot spot work, and I just wanted to watch my saved programs. I then asked to speak to a supervisor again. He put me on hold and after 10 minutes... yes 10 minutes. I got supervisor Jeff. Jeff gave no clear answers and just kept repeating what I was saying to him, and he said "Hum" a lot. Hum this, hum that.

He then told me to look at my TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter. He kept asking if the two lights were light or blinking. I told him there was only light with two symbols on each side of it. He told me to turn it over and look for another light. I asked him if he was aware of what these look like... there is no light on other side, just a rainbow/upside down smile light that goes from power to the internet connected symbol... handshake symbol I call it. He kept telling me I was not connected. I got so frustrated with his hums, and more hums from him, I hung up. What kind of service does TiVo offer? The worst. So unless you are a tech smart person I would not recommend TiVo as there is no customer service any longer. There used to be... not it has been unsuccessfully outsourced to another country. Bummer.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This company has a clever scam going. They send a warning that your connection is failing and then when you contact them to fix the problem they try to upsell new equipment and a more expensive subscription. Thanks for warning from other consumers, I was aware. Hard to believe they will be able to avoid prosecution for this much longer.

Original review: May 22, 2018

When I order TiVo Bolt easy to hook up but I have to get tuning adapter box is free and cable card 2.50 month. Not bad. Everything work fine. I love it. I watch TV and movie. They are best show no plm.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Once again TiVo has screwed their - cough - lifetime service customers. First they charged me for TiVo Desktop. Then they charged me for TiVo Desktop Plus. Then they DROPPED support for TiVo Desktop. And over the years I've had to reach-out MANY TIMES to their so-called Executive Support department because of changes they've made that rendered TiVo Desktop unusable. Well they've done it again and I've been without a working TiVo network for over a month and waiting for a solution for the same amount of time - yes, I called it in. They've outsourced EVERYTHING to the Philippines, including their so-called Executive Support department, and it is a terrible change. By-the--by: have they passed-on any of that cost savings to us? No, they have not.

The support reps are useless. I've been chasing them for over 4 weeks (AS THEY DO NOT CALL BACK AS THEY PROMISE) and the latest callback was a total waste. The rep did not understand the situation and it’s obvious no work has been done on my behalf. He asked the same questions three times and each time he re-asked or re-stated things back to me, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE DOES NOT COMPREHEND SPOKEN ENGLISH. I run a help desk and this guy would NOT have passed the interview. TiVo has again abandoned their lifetime customers and should be ashamed of themselves. Find an alternative, find a company that cares about customers.

Original review: March 13, 2018

We have been totally satisfied customers of TiVo for fifteen trouble-free years. Our TiVo unit started warning us that it was going to lose the ability to record in three days. And it did. It seemed fishy that the unit would have this "warning" in anticipation of a malfunction... almost like it had sort of a built-in lifespan. We called their technical people numerous times. Everyone you talk to is overseas and while they were all very nice, the language problems were pretty much insurmountable. Two days were wasted on all this. So it seemed like the best idea was to get a new unit. Nothing lasts forever and fifteen years is a long time. We record literally everything. I can honestly say I haven't watched a commercial in the whole time we've had TiVo. So we weren't going to give that up.

My warning is to long-time TiVo users like us. The new system is terrible. Starting with the fact that our lifetime service wasn't transferable, to the fact that the price has quadrupled, to the almost unbelievable difficulty in hooking the unit up... it's been an awful experience. TiVo was wonderfully easy to use. Hook-up on our original box took minutes. Simply screwing in a DSL cable. Period. We knew we were in trouble when we realized that this new TiVo Bolt didn't even have a DSL thing. It also came with no... I repeat NO... Viewer's Guide. And for some bizarre reason they have changed the names of every single service TiVo provides. Forget all you knew about "Season Passes" and "Find Programs" and all the other user-friendly features you have gotten accustomed to. They're all called something different now. And it comes with no instructions to tell you this.

The old TiVo remote was easy enough to be operated blind-folded. The new one would challenge Stephen Hawking. And even for more technical folks than we are, the screens that pop up are absolutely dreadful. Everything you see is confusing, noisy, cluttered and full of what apparently are ads to see shows you aren't remotely interested in. The old TiVo screens were clean, clear, and precise. The new ones are exactly the opposite. We are heartsick and feel, strongly, that we've been ripped off by a trusted friend. On a side note, we used our old TiVo remote to do everything... from turning on the TV to engaging the VCR to adjusting the volume. Forget doing all that with the new system.

Strangely enough, the old 15 year old remote still works for all these things. So that's still what we use to turn on the TV. This is progress, I guess? There's plenty more that I could say. I've probably said enough. Just know that if you have been a happy user of TiVo in the past, you will be sorely unhappy with what they have become. We're sending the darn thing back. The DVR service from our local cable provider certainly couldn't be any worse. And is a whole lot cheaper.

Updated on 04/11/2018: I was very surprised to get an email from you folks at ConsumerAffairs saying my dissatisfaction with TiVo had been resolved. It absolutely has not been. And where on earth would you have gotten an idea like that? My original warning to long-time customers like myself who were thinking of purchasing a new TiVo box and service was that major changes in the service had been implemented--including even what things were called-- and no User's Guide was sent to explain any of these changes. I got an owner's manual with my vacuum cleaner, for Pete's sake. But nothing with this very complicated DVR system.

Their idea of "resolving" the issue was to have me talk to yet another out-of-country technician. As if the many, many phone calls I'd already made weren't enough. These technical people specifically refuse to tell you where they're located. They are very polite-- at least the ones I talked to were-- but I can think of nothing less polite that refusing to answer a simple question like where they are.

In my original negative review I said I was going to send the box back. And I have decided not to. A fifteen-year habit of skipping commercials is pretty hard to give up. The last tech guy was able to walk me through the process of setting up the remote so that I'm able to turn the TV off and on with it and do other things I was able to do before. I've learned through trial and error-- lots of error!-- what buttons do what. All of this could have been taken care of quickly and easily by sending me an Owner's Manual. It is absolutely mind-boggling that these people refuse to do a simple courtesy like that.

I have read the other reviews for TiVo on this website and realize that had I sent the machine back it would have caused me even more grief. It appears that their customer service doesn't just start with not providing instructions with their service. It seems to get even worse if a person tries to get their money back.

Somebody there ought to be ashamed of themselves. TiVo was a wonderfully competent and well respected company in the beginning. This is not the company it once was.

Resolution response: March 28, 2018

After several unpleasant recorded phone conversations with a customer service person, I was told me my order did not go through because I spelled my name wrong (left out a letter). I called my bank and they told me that would not make a difference. I felt the customer service person was rude to me and not understanding of what I was going through; $800 is a lot of money to me! After 7 days the charge did go off my card but instead $1,000 of charges to a travel website appeared. I am not sure why the security of my card was compromised, but my bank did reverse those charges as well. I use a virtual keyboard to enter my cc number so I don't know. My customer service experience with TiVo was quite unpleasant. I never want to go through that again or have any further contact with them. I will add one star because the charge was ultimately taken off my card.The issue was resolved, but it was very stressful getting it resolved.

Original review: March 11, 2018

For me, just ordering a Bolt and mini was a terrible experience. I went directly to the TiVo website to order, I set up an account, and entered my credit card number. Within a second, I got an email from my bank for the $750 charge; however, I got no receipt from TiVo, the items were still in my cart, and I could not sign into my new account. I started a chat but was told I must call. I called and was told the charge was only a hold and it would "fall off" in a couple of days. Meanwhile, my bank will not let me use the $750 and I have no TiVo order. Be warned: customer service for TiVo is farmed out overseas. I was on the phone for close to an hour with no help except wait and see what happens. It was a complete circus. I was even told we process the orders in the order we receive them. What? Are they using pen and paper? Imagine having a problem with your TiVo unit and putting up with this. Dish Network beats this company by a mile.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I have one of the first TiVo Bolts. It worked great with an occasional unplug/plug needed. Then, after I added 3 Minis, problems started. Scheduled shows would not record at times, and/or I would get message that I could not watch live TV because all tuners were “busy”. That would happen even if nothing would be recording and the Minis were not in use. Re-powering or re-booting would fix the problems for few days, then they would start again. Customer service is a joke, they mostly read from a script: unplug power, re-plug, reboot modem, reboot router, etc. While you do that, they hung up and never call back. When you call back, you get a new rep who starts you again on the script, not listening to you or not understanding you.

I suspect the problem is with the minis which “grab” and hold onto a channel even after you turned the attached TV off with the supplied TiVo remote. It appears to be a software issue, and I am not sure if the Mini firmware/software can be updated. TiVo is not going to recall hundred thousands of minis, and/or admit there is a problem. It will be interesting to see if the new voice control remotes have solved the problem!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have had TiVo in one form or another for years. They are ridiculously horrible in terms of customer support. Just try and cancel them. I had TiVo on auto bill and got another service, boxed up TiVo, put it in the basement. God almighty, try and cancel them. They kept billing me, you can't cancel online, then they fight with you to cancel. They kept referring to "while we attempt to cancel" and other creepy statements like I couldn't cancel. Then they drill on why are you canceling. I just kept repeating cancel. They drone on and on, then expect you to listen to a disclaimer that never ends. "Your guarantee is no good if you cancel," (say what?), "Your warranties are no good," but they dream up hundreds of these things to read to you. I finally said, "Look, I have grandchildren, they are getting old while I listen to this, just cancel". Let's see if they do. Awful.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Customer service is beyond bad, their grasp of the English language is tenuous at best and they just talk down and over you not listening to anything you say. Everything is your problem not theirs. They replaced one box with a broken box then told me they would send another but I had to wait over two weeks. Avoid this company. Their products do not hold up and the customer experience is horrific. I would rather pay for cable than deal with these people.

Updated on 03/03/2018: Here's my latest salvo with Tivo... after over 11 hours on the phone, and my first CA review, I get this... "Thank you for providing your account information so we can assist you with your concerns. This is to inform you that I will be your point of contact to address your concerns in case. I will be contacting you on today 02/23/2018 at 02:00 PM – 04:00 PM PST so we can discuss this further."

I have called him repeatedly and all I get is a voicemail loop and no return call. Then to add insult to injury they told me they could not send an RGA label as they were having technical difficulties so they sent me a barcode and told me to take it to a FedEx office and they would scan it and print a label... WRONG... The FedEx office said they do not do that. I would need to provide a proper label. Can you imagine how pissed off I am after schlepping all over town just to find out these clowns are as usual clueless. And of course my original problem has not been addressed or fixed, I still have channels listed and with strong signals that are blank. No picture, no sound. I TRULY HATE TIVO.

Resolution response: April 28, 2018

i'm updating my review cause tivo reached out and sent a new tv box thingy which works a lot better than the one we had. tivo's customer service is 10/10. also john from tivo is cool.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I literally made an account for this website. Just give TiVo one star. I wish there was an option to give it zero stars but ya know this is close enough. If you’re considering TiVo, STOP YOURSELF. Not even kidding. TiVo is the absolute worst. I’ve been trying to watch the Olympics and right when something interesting starts happening, TiVo decides that it’s time to reboot itself meaning it cuts to a picture saying “one moment” (takes about 10 min) and then goes back to what you’re watching AND THEN cuts the feed again, showing the stupid “one moment” page. As you can probably tell, I ** hate TiVo with a passion. I would recommend this to someone I hate. Save yourself. Ok thanks. - Child of a father who will not pay for decent TV provider.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I bought a new TiVo Bolt in responses to a TiVo promotion to trade in an old TiVo and transfer my lifetime service. The Bolt would not activate because TiVo sent a Bolt with a different service number than it had in its records. This took days and hours of phone calls to correct. After finally appearing to be resolved, my lifetime service was deactivated 4 months later without notice or any cause. I am back begging again for this company to simply do what I paid for. They are a failing and disreputable company who cannot be trusted. Avoid doing business with TiVo!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We bought a TiVo Bolt just before Christmas and got a card from Comcast. The TiVo would not connect with Comcast so we could not get live TV. Comcast sent out a technician who tried several cards and worked for almost two hours but could not make a connection. I spent several hours on the phone with TiVo which told me to contact Comcast which told me it was a TiVo problem. We exchanged the TiVo at Best Buy and began the journey again. The new TiVo would not connect with our wifi so we had to add an extender.

Comcast paired the card but TiVo would not connect. Again back and forth between TiVo and Comcast. Comcast says, and I think this is correct, that there is a glitch in some TiVos which keep them from working with Comcast cards. TiVo's recommendation is to keep trying cards until one works. The cards are made by Motorola. Comcast also told me that TiVo is reluctant to exchange the non-working equipment. Fortunately we bought the TiVo at Best Buy. I've canceled the TiVo contract.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I bought a TiVo from TiVo, and I have another TiVo I rent from my cable company. According to TiVo, I cannot watch shows recorded on the cable company TiVo on my personal TiVo! Unless both boxes are purchased from TiVo, they will not communicate with each other! Beware!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I've been using Tivo's since 2010. And I'm very satisfied. In fact, I would go so far as to say I'm extremely satisfied. I had a series 3 unit for a year. But lost that in a divorce. So I bought Tivo Premier on eBay. And it came with Lifetime Service. This a feature of the service. The Lifetime service stays with the machine. So when I got it. I simply called TIVO and they transferred the service to my name.

That machine was a real deal. I used it for three years. And just a month or so ago Tivo was offering a sale on the newer Tivo Bolt and they threw in an option to transfer the lifetime service from my old machine to my new one for $99. A great offer. The machines are great, and and the operating system on the TIVO is excellent. I'm surprised to see people complaining about customer support. I've called them a few times on tech issues. And yes, they're outside this country. But they are very knowledgeable, polite, and will stick with you until your problems are resolved.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Please be aware that TiVo customer service and tech support are notoriously bad. My own experience with them was extremely frustrating: the new Bolt I purchased for $300 soon developed major defects, they sent me a "refreshed" unit with even more defects and I went around and around with them for many months, being continually lied to and misrepresented by their employees (mostly making promises that were never fulfilled). I finally documented all written contacts with them then disputed bogus charges with my credit company - and won! Recommend you check out: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/entertainment/tivo.html. I believe they hope dissatisfied customers will just give and go away, which many do due to the extreme frustration of dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Loved the idea of the TiVo Box but once we decided it wasn't going to work out for us, we were stuck with making payments for a year. Called to explain why it wouldn't work and they didn't seem to care. I get it's only $15 a month but what a stupid thing to hold on to as a company. Maybe I'd be back, maybe I could find a way to make it work but now I will never use or recommend anyone to use this service. It's too bad.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Multiple phone calls and no resolution. Very poorly trained staff, who make you walk through a series of troubleshooting steps each time, even though you just did them. The result is that you can never get anything actually resolved in less than an hour. Also, they ask you questions, then don't listen to the answer – and ask the same question seconds later.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I purchased my TiVo over 2 years ago and really appreciated it. They appeared to have spent a lot of time on human interface issues, especially searching for shows. I even went and purchased a lifetime subscription. About a month ago, they made some firmware changes and I noticed two new things that really bothered me; - Before the highlight color was yellow and now it's white; the white is much more glaring, harder to read, and annoying. - Before, when I turned on my TV set using the TiVo remote control, I would have to wait for about 10 secs to get video.

At the same time I would get audio AND control of volume and mute. This was particularly important to me because our bedroom is next to my room and if the volume would come on while my wife was sleep it would disturb her. Since I got control immediately, I could hit the mute button and at worst I would get a short chirp if there was audio going on. Now it takes another 10 secs after video, with the audio at the old volume setting, before I would get control which would be enough to wake her up.

I contacted TiVo for the first time about a month ago, explained the issue and impressed on them that these changes ONLY occurred after their firmware changes. I still had to call them at least 6 times as well as send them emails and they kept putting me off. They had me reboot the TiVo 4 times, they sent me a new remote control, they interrogated my box several times and had me go through resynching my remote control at least 3 times, etc. The first tech that I talked to stated that it could be the hard drive since, from his experience, if the hard drive started to fail it could impact the TiVo - TV communications. I changed the hard drive and it didn't make any difference.

To see if something in my TV set was causing this. I connected my VCR to the TV, powered it on, and I got video, audio, and control of volume and mute all in 10 secs. Identically how my TiVo used to work. Today, after many calls and delays, they finally agreed to replacing the box but it would be treated as a regular hardware replace. They would be generous and only charge me $79 instead of $149. And I had to send in my box and get a return in 1 to 2 weeks. If I wanted to go a cross-shipment I would have to give them a deposit of $499. So, for a problem that they caused I would have to pay $79 and be without a TV in my room for up to 2 weeks.

I am very disappointed and frustrated with them. If I could be assured that they would really replace my box with a new one, transfer my lifetime subscription, and have everything work like it did a month ago I'd pay the money but I don't have confidence that this would really happen. I no longer have confidence in TiVo since they don't stand behind their product.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I went out and bought a TiVo Bolt and Mini thinking that would be the answer to my frustration with high cable TV prices. I got the hardware installed and signed up for everything online, give them a credit card number for month by month subscription until I decided whether the service was right for me or not. After a few months I realized that it really didn't give me what I needed. I still had to subscribe to Netflix Hulu Amazon in order to give all of the programming that I wanted and TiVo just didn't seem worthwhile.

I went online to try to cancel my subscription but after being able to do everything else online discovered that the one thing they won't let you do online have to call and talk to somebody. I tried calling but got frustrated waiting in the queue so gave up. About that time the credit card I was using expired so I decided to simply let the subscription end for non-payment. Now they are billing me for $89 for that nonpayment. When I didn’t pay it they turned it over to a collection agency that I am now dealing with. Not to mention a couple hundred dollars of useless equipment. Wish I read the reviews here before getting involved with this awful company!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I have been a long time customer of TiVo. Just recently I started having issues with my TiVo Roamio and its HDMI port. I called tech support and they had me go through all the basic steps, which I understand. My TiVo Roamio was deemed 'defective' and support sent me out a replacement. The replacement box that I received was defective and would hardly boot up before rebooting itself. I called support, they had me go through all the same troubleshooting techniques again. They deemed that the replacement box was defective, so they sent me out another box. I received the 2nd replacement box and yes, that too was defective. It wasn't an issue with booting up this time, it booted up but the screen was pixelated to the point where it could hardly be read. I started doubting myself here and tested many different scenarios - different HDMI cables, different TVs, etc - nothing.

I called support, they had me go through all the same troubleshooting techniques again (now it's starting to get a little old) - and they deemed this box defective as well. They sent me out another box. Keep track here, this is the 3rd replacement box. This box worked! Was on a brand new (Completely different brand) TV, UPS, top of the line HDMI cable, anything I could think of that would cause an issue like this. After about 45 days - the HDMI stopped working. I called support, I explained the issue, they had me go through all the troubleshooting techniques and they deemed the box was defective. They were just getting ready to setup a replacement and (this would have been the 4th replacement - my 5th TiVo Roamio) and after a brief hold they told me they did not have any record of my support agreement. They must have some record of what has occurred that shows I had a support agreement, right?!

The technical representative was very quick to get me off the line and transfer me to a customer support representative who could look into why I no longer had any record of my support agreement, which don't come cheap if you have ever purchased one. When I finally got to the representative on the phone she saw record of my support agreement and couldn't understand why it was no longer on my account. I was placed on hold, and she came back and said I was no longer eligible to receive replacement boxes. She couldn't explain why - I was asking if I had reached a 'limit of liability' of some sort, but one would think that since I was given essentially 3 faulty replacement boxes that even if there was a liability limit that I would not be subject to that clause. After going back and forth, she said that if I wished, I could extend my warranty for another two years - but I was limited to only ONE replacement box.

This is outrageous. Why would I pay even more money for the chance that yet another replacement box would work? I find it completely unacceptable and disappointing that TiVo would not only offer such poor support, send out non-functional replacement boxes under their warranty program, but not even stand behind the fact that I have a contract with them to ensure my box is working. I would drop the company all together if I hadn't paid for the lifetime subscription on the TiVo Roamio, and purchased 4 TiVo Minis to work with it. I have a lot invested in this system that is still covered under warranty, but TiVO will not support. Absolutely unacceptable. Buyers beware.

TiVo expert review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

• Best for: people who want to integrate their cable subscription and streaming service subscriptions in one place.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout