Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TiVo Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

TiVo has the worst customer service and they are not honoring their agreement. I Purchased a brand new TiVo edge on October 7. A little over 30 days the hard drive stopped working. TiVo said in their agreement that if the DVR is defective within the first 90 days they will replace it for free. I called them on November 26 and they said they will be sending me a tracking number for shipping. I never got The tracking number and here I am 10 days later and still no replacement box.

I called TiVo 5 different times asking them where is my replacement box and each representative keeps giving me the same runaround story. The last representative I spoke to I thought was going to be very helpful. Ended up saying the very same thing that the last representative said. They keep telling me 24 to 48 hours I will be getting a tracking number I promise. They said they have sent my case over to special team’s to see why my replacement box has not shipped. What is it going to take for them to send me my replacement box and they will not let me speak to a supervisor. It seems like now that they have my money they could care less whether or not I get my replacement and or not honoring their agreement.

Now I am paying for a monthly service and I have no DVR box. I am so disgusted with their service and not honoring their agreement that I will NEVER Buy another TiVo product again. And I will tell everyone I know to never buy a TiVo product. And the sad thing is I really love the TiVo edge I thought it was a good product until it broke after a little over 30 days which I thought was pathetic. TiVo you have lost me as a long-time customer by not honoring your agreement. I should not have had to call this many times and all I want is my brand new box that I just spent a lot of money on.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I've been having some technical difficulties with the MoCA and the sound reception in my Mini's. I keep getting an error that the signal was low. Called the technical service. A representative named Jay was not helpful. He was saying I have an issue with the Router and its Firewall and TCP ports and referred me to the manufacturer of my router instead and that was the end of that conversation. I rebooted my Router and everything stated working again. The Router is working just fine and no issue with it, but I was still having an issue with low signal and sound on my Mini's. It was still going on and off on my Mini's. I called back again after a few days hoping to get a representative who would be more helpful than the previous one. No luck. The next person was dumber than the last and was blaming the coaxial cable!

She was very condescending. She thinks she speak English well. She was speaking slowly like I don't understand English. These representative are from the Philippines and they have horrible personalities. She's the one who is lost, like the Jay. I am an American with a college education and well to do and a Supervisor where I work. I think their technical support representatives have low IQ's. These representatives are not well trained in what they do and are very disrespectful to customers. They're just plain dumb and want to pass the problem to the next guy. I will be leaving their service and try something else. Don't waste your money on Tivo. They are no longer a good company. I will be moving to T-Mobile service next. If you're still thinking of getting your money's worth by getting TIVO you will be out of luck. Get out now. Try something else.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

TiVo sales sold me the wrong BOLT DVR for my needs (OTA). I found out the same day that I needed the BOLT VOX. I called them within 24 hours and they would not do a refund of the BOLT OTA, they said I needed to order the BOLT VOX separately. They promised they would issue a refund for the BOLT OTA. No refund received. Every time I call they say they are working on issuing my refund. So far I am sorry I ever got involved with TiVo. The technicians know nothing about the problems you encounter and just make things up and lie about everything. Same with customer service, lies and more lies. Going to my credit card company and hope they will cover my loss with TiVo.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

On Friday November 15 my TiVo system stopped working correctly. When I tried to view a recording it just went to a grey screen. I power cycled and also deleted many recordings trying to get the system to work thinking it was having a hard time reading the disk even though the unity was less than a year old. Then it started doing unfamiliar things like showing commercials instead of my recorded shows. Finally I realized when I tried to watch a recording sometime it would just go to a logo page and sit there and other times it would play a commercial. But before realizing what was happening I deleted most of my recording and recorded settings.

It is unforgivable that TiVo decided to just start forcing consumers that paid hundreds of dollars for their equipment and a monthly subscription fee to be forced to watch advertising and create severe latency before the commercial started and sometimes it didn't start at all, without as much a informing me the customer what they were forcing me to do without consent. What is an even bigger slap in the face is they renewed my annual subscription service on the Sunday following their Friday change. For behavior like this I will never trust TiVo again and the minute a replacement solution is available my TiVo will be thrown into the trash. Shame on them for doing something so intrusive and inappropriate.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Updated on 01/02/2020: In discussions with Lez from the higher level customer support department, he said that he could not give me the additional year of service (value $150) that I requested as compensation for the hours I lost because of their poor tech support and the expense incurred following their instructions. Instead, he offered to issue another $30 credit to my card. I wasn't satisfied, but I accepted. To date (a month+ later), I haven't seen that additional $30. I can't fathom a company that does business like this. Losing a multi-decade customer over the pittance it would have taken to make me happy. I think Tivo needs a serious reboot.

Original review: I purchased an Edge to replace my Bolt in order to get UHD and HDR. After setup, the Netflix app on the Edge didn't work (Prime and others apps did work, as did the Netflix app on my Smart TV). After almost an hour with Tivo Tech Support (repeating the same troubleshooting steps over and over) they said they would send me a replacement. The replacement had exactly the same problem. By this time the issue had been escalated to more senior techs. Their solutions were to upgrade my HDMI cable or replace my receiver. I went out and spent $58 on a the latest and best HDMI cable. Still didn't work. And replacing my brand new Marantz receiver made no sense. So, I contacted Marantz. Within 20 minutes, with a few setting changes, I was able to get Netflix on my Edge.

I wrote an email to Customer Service suggesting that Tivo Tech Support connect with the major receiver brands to determine which setting were necessary to be compatible with Tivo's products. Also, to compensate me for the hours and money I spend on this issue, I asked for a free 1 year extension to my Tivo subscription. Customer Service referred me back to Tech Support who referred me back to Customer Service. In the end, they showed little interest in my suggestion and gave me a $30 dollar refund. I've been a Tivo customer since the very beginning of the company. And I worked this problem through with them calmly and in good faith. Disappointing that in the end they didn't seem to care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

This unit has gone backwards in technology. There are so many keystrokes required to do everything. The user interface is horrible. When I "Create a One Pass" it cuts of the last minute of the show. I've gone back and added 1 minute to the end time....it still cuts it off. I've added 5 minutes and it still cuts it off. Tivo has added a commercial (Duncan Donuts, Maytag) at the beginning of every recording before you they allow you to watch it. For no reason it switches from normal watching to the "Account / System Info" page. They've added "TiVo+" with THEIR suggestions that you can't get rid of.

They've inserted their own channels into YOUR GUIDE that you can't get rid of (Puddle Jumper - A collection of children's series, Fail Army, Music Babble to name a few). It just (this second) changed the from a recording I was watching the last channel I was on. I called and found out that you CAN NOT buy a new unit without paying for that unit AND a monthly subscription. They no longer call it a "Lifetime Subscription". I'm exhausted and have had enough.

Resolution response: Dec. 2, 2019

After writing my negative review, Tivo support did reach out to me to resolve my issues with their Bolt product. I was sent an replacement and after some effort received the power cords to transfer my movies from the 1st Bolt box to the replacement unit. At this point my replacement Tivo Bolt is working perfectly. Hopefully, my Bolt box will continue to work as advertised. I am very pleased with the higher level of support that Tivo provided me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I purchased a Tivo Bolt last month and have had nothing but trouble with it. This is my 3rd Tivo. Had a Roamio for past 4 years which worked very well. Bolt has a new menu which is difficult to use and very un-logical. This Bolt often just goes blank which requires me to "unplug" it. Tivo support is useless and keeps wanting me to just do a new restart setup, which causes me to lose all my recording. And the remote works "part time". I keep on pushing the same button to get it to work. Support said "sit closer", I'm only 15 feet away. Support has limited knowledge to help. They sent me a replacement Bolt (which is refurbished) and it's still junk. I'm not happy with Tivo!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

A month ago, my wife and I finally had it with DirecTV customer service. We quit after 16 years. I figured TiVo had to be better! They are NOT. I ordered a Bolt VOX DVR and 5 minis for $1,200. Two of the remotes do not work. There is no manual or user guide to configure a remote or understand why it does what it does. You call up and the phone is answered by script kitties. Why is customer service soooo bad now? Why don't we get instructions or manual on how to use a product? Is simple helpful, customer service over the phone impossible in this day and age? UGH!!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Long time TiVo customer. I have a huge investment in Tivo lifetime service over multiple units. They no longer support Xfinity streaming, and have limited apps. More importantly company has no one to escalate a problem. I was sold a unit that was suppose to be over the air and cable card capable. It’s not. No customer loyalty and no explanation for equipment failure. So sad. This use to be a great company. Now you only speak to the Philippines.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I bought the first TiVo model when TiVo started way back. I often upgraded to newer models and just transferred my lifetime subscriptions. I now have a Bolt-1 and a Bolt-3 (most recently purchased unit). The Bolt-1 is still using the older version of menus (spouse's choice), and seems to work well most of the time, requiring only occasional reboots (once every month or two).

For the Bolt-3 I went ahead and switched to the advanced menu option. The software is much more buggy than I've ever seen for a TiVo. For example, if I delete a show's "folder" containing more than one episode, it usually hangs up for several minutes while we all get to watch a spinning blue circle, and the remote is useless during that time. This, of course, is NOT acceptable. This may be the last TiVo I ever buy, as it seems the overall quality of the company's products and customer service is on a significant and noticeable decline. Did someone say that Amazon is developing a comparable product? Hope so.

Not sure about TiVo?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

TiVo expert review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

• Best for: people who want to integrate their cable subscription and streaming service subscriptions in one place.

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team