Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.67/5

TiVo Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I purchased a Tivo Bolt last month and have had nothing but trouble with it. This is my 3rd Tivo. Had a Roamio for past 4 years which worked very well. Bolt has a new menu which is difficult to use and very un-logical. This Bolt often just goes blank which requires me to "unplug" it. Tivo support is useless and keeps wanting me to just do a new restart setup, which causes me to lose all my recording. And the remote works "part time". I keep on pushing the same button to get it to work. Support said "sit closer", I'm only 15 feet away. Support has limited knowledge to help. They sent me a replacement Bolt (which is refurbished) and it's still junk. I'm not happy with Tivo!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

A month ago, my wife and I finally had it with DirecTV customer service. We quit after 16 years. I figured TiVo had to be better! They are NOT. I ordered a Bolt VOX DVR and 5 minis for $1,200. Two of the remotes do not work. There is no manual or user guide to configure a remote or understand why it does what it does. You call up and the phone is answered by script kitties. Why is customer service soooo bad now? Why don't we get instructions or manual on how to use a product? Is simple helpful, customer service over the phone impossible in this day and age? UGH!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Long time TiVo customer. I have a huge investment in Tivo lifetime service over multiple units. They no longer support Xfinity streaming, and have limited apps. More importantly company has no one to escalate a problem. I was sold a unit that was suppose to be over the air and cable card capable. It’s not. No customer loyalty and no explanation for equipment failure. So sad. This use to be a great company. Now you only speak to the Philippines.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I bought the first TiVo model when TiVo started way back. I often upgraded to newer models and just transferred my lifetime subscriptions. I now have a Bolt-1 and a Bolt-3 (most recently purchased unit). The Bolt-1 is still using the older version of menus (spouse's choice), and seems to work well most of the time, requiring only occasional reboots (once every month or two).

For the Bolt-3 I went ahead and switched to the advanced menu option. The software is much more buggy than I've ever seen for a TiVo. For example, if I delete a show's "folder" containing more than one episode, it usually hangs up for several minutes while we all get to watch a spinning blue circle, and the remote is useless during that time. This, of course, is NOT acceptable. This may be the last TiVo I ever buy, as it seems the overall quality of the company's products and customer service is on a significant and noticeable decline. Did someone say that Amazon is developing a comparable product? Hope so.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

This company ignores its customers and sells products which they know are defective. I purchased a Bolt and have nothing but problems. When one calls their CS they are not helpful and unwilling to help. Instead, they tell you lies and make fake promises. I have had several calls to their executive CS people who again make promises but fail to deliver. Unfortunately, I have 4 other TIVO receivers so I can't just abandon them. BEWARE before you purchase any products from this company. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TIVO PRODUCT....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

When installed 18 months ago, I thought TiVo was the best. One remote, all the apps, great interface and DVR. I bought lifetime service. I was so impressed. Today it’s gone. Three tuner failures. Those are a bummer but the worst is the apps like Netflix freeze and stop requiring getting the other remote and having the smart tv do it. Sometimes regular TV freezes. Customer service gives the same fixes and the stuff still doesn’t work. (Unplug everything and restart, force connect to TiVo server). Their tracking system is great for complaints. I see all the times I have called or been assisted. I finally gave up. Installed Apple TV on older smart TVs and use the newer smart tv by themselves. I like Apple best although no DVR. Life is way too short to deal with TiVo.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have been a customer for almost 20 years. I had a tuner fail in my 2-year-old unit and they fought me on the failure. My cable provider spent 20 hours at my house troubleshooting their signal and service for no reason in order to meet TiVo's needs in order to replace the unit. After replacing the unit, the new one had a video output failure after 3 hours of use. That was 2 weeks ago. I called and was assured my new unit would ship to arrive in 3-5 business days. After a week I called to see what was going on and it hadn't shipped. They blamed me, supposedly fixed the issue and said a new unit would be expedited and I would have it in 2 business days, that was 5 days ago. I contacted them again today to learn it hasn't shipped.

The rep couldn't provide me info and said someone would follow up via email today, I doubt it will happen. Even worse I'm paying for TiVo and cable and cannot use them because this is my only interface, they won't issue me credit in any way and I have no idea when this will be resolved. In the age of "cable-cutting", it is a matter of time (a short amount in my opinion) before Tivo goes away if they cannot get this act together.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I cancelled my account with TiVo after 15 or so years. When I talked to the CSR she said it would cost me $75.00 to cancel. After we had a heart to heart and she cleared it with her supervisor she came back saying there would be no charge and appreciated all the years of me being a TIVO client. Today my Amex statement shows a $75.00 pending charge. Short term memory on their part, not sure but I will dispute it. It is only a matter of time before TIVO is out of business.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My original Bolt DVR had a hard disk failure after being used for two years. I was told to return it, and I bought a refurbished unit from TiVo for $50. To make a long story short, that first refurbished unit didn't work, and over time I was given two additional refurbished Bolt units which also didn't work. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED STUFF FROM TIVO! I ended up buying a new TiVo Bolt through Amazon. After reading all the negative postings here, I hope it performs! I have a feeling this company is going down the tubes. Someone over there is smoking too much weed.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have had TiVo for over 20 years. As of mid-June, their app to watch On Demand programming through Comcast/Xfinity has expired. The message indicates it was old and never updated. With Comcast being one of the largest providers of cable tv in the country, I am amazed TiVo allowed it to occur, and incredibly frustrated that it's not resolved. I was told it would be resolved by June 30. I just called support again, and they say I should have never been told that, they have no idea if it will ever work again.

I pay $200/month for cable, and watch On Demand constantly. To not be able to access it because TiVo never bothered to keep the app up to date is unacceptable, irresponsible and very poor planning on TiVo's part. I paid money to watch a show last night via Prime, which I could have gotten for free from Comcast. I just upgraded to a TiVo Bolt, spent a lot of money on it, now can't even use if for the primary reason I bought it. This is ridiculous.

TiVo expert review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

• Best for: people who want to integrate their cable subscription and streaming service subscriptions in one place.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout