3.2/5 (69 ratings)

About TiVo

TiVo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 22, 2022

Been a TiVo customer since 2005. TiVo Edge purchased last year. Defective. Customer service could not be worse. Don’t buy. TiVo could be the worst brand out there. They are awful and their customer service reps are the worst. I can not say enough bad things about the company service and brand.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I've had TIVO for 15 years but their new boxes are worthless. They don't last and only have 90 day warranties. TIVO tries to sell you a new box every year or 2 when your current box experiences "hard drive issues". This is a common problem with TIVO boxes. They used to be a good company and sold good equipment but now they just try to scam you by selling you lifetime service on equipment that stops working after a year or two.

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I ordered a Tivo mini vox on 3/9 thru their website. I changed my mind and when it was delivered I refused package and dropped it off at Fedex. As of today still no refund. Getting nowhere with customer service.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I don't know what has happened to what used to be one of my favorite companies (the original owners). I have been a loyal customer since they started. It is time for this relationship to end. I just got off the phone with supervisors, and when they get pinned on an issue, the phone is disconnected. I have gone through multiple TiVo's quickly, resulting in the unit needing replacing, and then you get the upgrade talk. A few days ago, I just received a replacement for a unit I purchased last year. I called today just about reprogramming a remote. The technician had me do some things with the unit I wasn't calling about, and it stopped working. I just purchased that one about two years prior. I told them it sounded suspicious that so many were going out so soon to each other, and all they wanted was more money to get a used replacement.

I am thinking of filing a complaint with the AG's office and a federal regulatory agency. I see the corp HQ has gone "underground" as well when you attempt to call them. I may have to get some explanations in court. My advice – be careful in dealing with this company (I think this is the 3rd owner. The original owners were just the best. I still have 1-2 of those tivos, and they work). I use to love this company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I bought my Tivo straight from the company website like the previous two models I own. This time it took a week to get the Edge unit. Right from the box the unit wouldn't even boot up. I had to wait over the weekend to contact them since they offer no support on weekends. Talked with an agent who said the box was defective and to send it back. They sent me a return label and I returned it via FedEx the same day. After 5 days I called again to find out when they shipped the replacement. I was told they wait for the return to come back first. FedEx delivered it 5 days ago. Today I get an email saying they just received it and will send a replacement in a week. If that is what actually happens it will make almost a month since I bought it. They are in no hurry to deliver but have hundreds of my dollars.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have been a loyal Tivo customer for over 30 years, purchasing thousands of dollars of equipment and services. For the past two years, I have been unable to watch My Recorded Shows on any device other than the tvs on my home network. Tivo says it is known issue and they have been working on it. For two years? I've noticed other negative reviews posted here discussing the same issue. For some unknown reason, at least to me, they have stopped providing this service. It worked fine from 2011 until 2019. Never again!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Loyal customer for nearly 20 years. Once I bought a new box and without realizing it, months went by and they were charging me for two boxes. They didn't cancel my old box out, then refused to pay me for charging me for two accounts for months. 6 months ago, we purchased a TiVo Edge. The motherboard died, I called for a replacement for it was still under warranty. They would not send us a new one until I shipped back the broken one, and wanted to charge me $50 replacement fee. For their broken item. I've need their help twice in 15 yrs or more and both times were absolutely rude. I also did not know that I couldn't cancel my TiVo subscription unless I pay 160.00 or wait 6 months! I have it on my calendar to cancel this service and cannot wait!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

After purchasing the Bolt with lifetime subscription. I was told it would take a few hours for my email to be registered. Six days later and 3 wasted phone calls to Technical Support??? No luck. Unable to access my account or stream recorded programs to any device. They say the problem is being addressed by their software experts. Oh yeah. As to when I can access my account & my programing, they won't commit. I hope I can get it resolved during my lifetime subscription.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I paid over $150 last April for one year maintenance. My Tivo just broke. TiVo will not refund me for the remaining 8 months. Tivo is stealing from me!!! I use OTA. Tivo use to support that. I wanted 2TB and four tuners. I have many stations I can get with my antenna. I absolutely hate going through Channel Master to get a Tivo product. It's ridiculous. Product choices are horrible. Used to be able to get 2TB models. Can only get 500GB. TiVo told me to look on Ebay. Are you freaking kidding me?! Next time I call they might say go look for your next Tivo on Craigslist. Hey Tivo, please tell your next ex customer there's a Tivo at the McKinney landfill. I've been with Tivo since their first products. I am done with this loser thief.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I purchased a Tivo Bolt+ via Amazon in 2017. I had it for about 2 years and it died. TiVo replaced the unit but I lost all the programs that were recorded. About 2 weeks ago the replacement Bolt+ started acting up. I called and when through their troubleshooting procedure and the unit was declared dead. They put me over to sells and I was told my two options were to send the unit to a repair shop (which will probably take a couple of weeks) or to buy a new Edge on sale for $275 (which will take about 4 or 5 days to get here). They say the Edge has a warranty of 5 years. If it dies that will be the last time I use TiVo.

TiVo author review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team