3.8/5 (231 ratings)

About TiVo

TiVo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I bought my Tivo straight from the company website like the previous two models I own. This time it took a week to get the Edge unit. Right from the box the unit wouldn't even boot up. I had to wait over the weekend to contact them since they offer no support on weekends. Talked with an agent who said the box was defective and to send it back. They sent me a return label and I returned it via FedEx the same day. After 5 days I called again to find out when they shipped the replacement. I was told they wait for the return to come back first. FedEx delivered it 5 days ago. Today I get an email saying they just received it and will send a replacement in a week. If that is what actually happens it will make almost a month since I bought it. They are in no hurry to deliver but have hundreds of my dollars.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have been a loyal Tivo customer for over 30 years, purchasing thousands of dollars of equipment and services. For the past two years, I have been unable to watch My Recorded Shows on any device other than the tvs on my home network. Tivo says it is known issue and they have been working on it. For two years? I've noticed other negative reviews posted here discussing the same issue. For some unknown reason, at least to me, they have stopped providing this service. It worked fine from 2011 until 2019. Never again!!!

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Loyal customer for nearly 20 years. Once I bought a new box and without realizing it, months went by and they were charging me for two boxes. They didn't cancel my old box out, then refused to pay me for charging me for two accounts for months. 6 months ago, we purchased a TiVo Edge. The motherboard died, I called for a replacement for it was still under warranty. They would not send us a new one until I shipped back the broken one, and wanted to charge me $50 replacement fee. For their broken item. I've need their help twice in 15 yrs or more and both times were absolutely rude. I also did not know that I couldn't cancel my TiVo subscription unless I pay 160.00 or wait 6 months! I have it on my calendar to cancel this service and cannot wait!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

After purchasing the Bolt with lifetime subscription. I was told it would take a few hours for my email to be registered. Six days later and 3 wasted phone calls to Technical Support??? No luck. Unable to access my account or stream recorded programs to any device. They say the problem is being addressed by their software experts. Oh yeah. As to when I can access my account & my programing, they won't commit. I hope I can get it resolved during my lifetime subscription.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I paid over $150 last April for one year maintenance. My Tivo just broke. TiVo will not refund me for the remaining 8 months. Tivo is stealing from me!!! I use OTA. Tivo use to support that. I wanted 2TB and four tuners. I have many stations I can get with my antenna. I absolutely hate going through Channel Master to get a Tivo product. It's ridiculous. Product choices are horrible. Used to be able to get 2TB models. Can only get 500GB. TiVo told me to look on Ebay. Are you freaking kidding me?! Next time I call they might say go look for your next Tivo on Craigslist. Hey Tivo, please tell your next ex customer there's a Tivo at the McKinney landfill. I've been with Tivo since their first products. I am done with this loser thief.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I purchased a Tivo Bolt+ via Amazon in 2017. I had it for about 2 years and it died. TiVo replaced the unit but I lost all the programs that were recorded. About 2 weeks ago the replacement Bolt+ started acting up. I called and when through their troubleshooting procedure and the unit was declared dead. They put me over to sells and I was told my two options were to send the unit to a repair shop (which will probably take a couple of weeks) or to buy a new Edge on sale for $275 (which will take about 4 or 5 days to get here). They say the Edge has a warranty of 5 years. If it dies that will be the last time I use TiVo.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I've owned and loved several TiVo devices over more than 15 years. For many of those years, I found their technical and overall customer to be the very best. Unfortunately since the sale of the company in 1916 these services have taken a nose dive. I currently have two BOLT devices purchased some years ago. In 2020, one finally bit the dust. TiVo replaced the unit with a reconditioned, newer BOLT for a price. (Basically the price of a reconditioned unit.) There were problems with audio and video dropouts for at least several seconds which occurred intermittently from the start. My first contact with service was within a month of installation. I followed the meager troubleshooting items suggested. Since this is an intermittent problem, it was left with me to 'see if it still happens' and to contact my cable provider. It did still happen, while my second older BOLT worked and works fine, even when swapped with this main TV.

After several more contacts with TiVo service, I was told all they could offer is to sell me another reconditioned unit since my warranty on the present unit had expired after 90 days. I will not renew my annual service agreement and will retire this BOLT and replace it with something else. I'll keep the older one and use it till it dies. It is sad to see a great company with good reliable products, degenerate following a sale to another company. Stay away from the 'new' TiVo.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

1st bought a TiVo Sony 30 Hour PTV Recorder 2/2/03. It was 2nd or 3rd Gen, I think, I wanted the dual tuner model, but couldn't afford DirecTV. Friends & family lauded the greatness of the TiVo DVR 7 its quality. That Sony TiVo, with some tweaks, lasted me 10+ years. But looking back w/o the rose colored glasses, they were the only fully working DVRs available, and DVRs were to VHS recorders what Smart TVs are to that 13" black & white console tv I watched my first British TV on.

Fast forward 2018, I cut the cords, wanted an OTA DVR & bought a TiVo BOLT OTA, w/ lifetime service, a little pricier than many other DVRs, but hey, it was a TiVo. What a waste of money. TiVo ain't the quality & customer service oriented company they use to be. I made excuses for the glitches and constant rebooting the 1st year. Now out of warranty, kept researching fixes, finally came to needed new hard drive (shouldn't after 1 year, but things happen).

New hard drive didn't fix anything, just cost more $$$. So I let repair shop specializing in TiVos have a look at. Nope, can't be fixed. They credited me the service fee, and the cost of the hard drive to keep my Bolt for parts. Don't trust the TiVo name. They just want that upfront $$ of higher price equipment, & lifetime service fee, which is a real bargain to TiVo when the lifetime of their product is 2 years or less. In my humble opinion, if you need/want a DVR OTA or cable/dish, buy anything else, just don't buy a TiVo.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

To begin with, I have been a customer for over 15 years, have bought at least 4 machines from them, and have had great service in the past. This is a main reason I am disappointed. Last year I had a problem with my Bolt and called customer service. They diagnosed it as a hardware problem and exchanged the 2 year old machine with a reconditioned one for a $150 fee. The new machine had the same problem and it turns out it was a software issue which was diagnosed by an upper level service department. The $150 was not necessary but I didn't complain.

In November, the new machine had DVR problem but the tuner was properly working, they sent some software codes to the machine which caused the DVR to work and disabled my tuner. They now tell me that I need to give them $600 to fix the issue. After paying $150 for a problem that didn't exist only to have their new machine break a year later by codes they sent to the machine seems to be a company problem. I'm convinced this is still just a software issue since the problem started with them sending codes to my machine. The technicians are completely unable to help me, they say I can't speak to a supervisor, won't elevate the problem to the department that fixed the software problem last year, and letters to the company have gone unanswered after 2 months. I will not pay for a new machine and wish I could just have my original, working machine back.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

The NFL games I record are removed shortly after the recording is complete. There is no way to recover them. This is a perfectly awful system TIVO has devised. Twice, I've spent thirty minutes on the phone with someone in the Philippines, dealing with a faulty phone on her end, trying to get some answers. Nothing accomplished. Same with a chat; only suggestion was to delete everything on our DVR and start over again. Forget it! This is a TIVO process problem, not something here on this end; it is only with NFL games. I urge avoiding any TIVO product at all costs, after fifteen years of using their product, it is clear that the company is being seriously mismanaged.

TiVo author review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team