TiVo

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Who's the Idiot at TiVo who decided to make the selected TiVo Menu entries (like in My Shows) BRIGHT YELLOW?!! Trying to Read the Contents of the entry in a Dark Room (like from Bed at Night) is Impossible!!! I tried to tell TiVo about it right after they did their release and they didn't want to hear About It! (They were ONLY INTERESTED IN HEARING POSITIVE FEEDBACK!) Question: Who's in charge of Quality Control at TiVo? Answer: No One!

I informed TIVO that my channel line up was wrong and that I was missing channels on Sept. 22, 2016. Today is 11/20/16 and I still have the same problem. They said the issue takes 5 - 7 days to correct. I paid for a lifetime subscription so this is costing them nothing. I am considering changing to my cable companies DVR service but It would cost me a monthly fee, so I am still patiently waiting.

My parents encouraged me to start a Tivo trial account as the rest of the family enjoyed it. So I did and tried to terminate it before the one month trial. The individual that was suppose to terminate it never did. Thus I was now stuck with a contract I did not agree to. After the second payment to a device I didn't have I decided to call and harass them. They gave me cold shoulder over trying to cancel an account I never created against my will. I did not care for Tivo as it kept recording things I didn't tell it to record. It kept signing up for season passes I didn't tell it to and so on. It kept filling up the hard drive with junk I didn't even watch.

With streaming becoming popular; I decided to do away with Tivo and obtain cheaper sources. After three months of pressuring Tivo to cancel my illegal contract; I put my foot down to cancel it. They lightly sassed me about the issue. I never again will do Tivo as they are not honest about their services. I have had other family members cancel their service only to find out that Tivo never canceled it. Apparently going to their website and selecting cancel/remove service does not terminate the contract.

My Tivo Bolt stopped working after a thunderstorm so I contacted their support thru a live chat session. After doing some troubleshooting the support person tells me that the unit will have to be replaced at full cost. No offer to have a service center look at it, just declared dead during a chat session. No other device on the surge suppressor failed, just the Tivo Bolt. If this is level of quality of product that Tivo is offering then I have wasted my money.

Purchased unit 10/10/16, could not initialize it with my service provider. Called, on hold 30 minutes, was told that this is an ongoing problem that TiVo has been working on for "a few weeks." I asked if they had a solution, they did not. Canceled service, returned unit - waste of my time. Note: I live in a populated area, not the boondocks. I have had other TiVo units in the past with no issue. This is a NEW problem due to their OLD technology!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

I am extremely disappointed with our tivo catch up, and on demand. Very often we either can not access our service or halfway through it cuts out. At the moment my wife has just finished her shift, waited an hour so our on demand could give us Victoria on our on demand only to find out that once again it was not available. We did an online check, and apparently we can not access it until the 5th of October. We have had problems like this since we had it. We are really tempted to get rid of it. Anyone thinking of a similar box with which to access your "favourite programs anytime" go to sky, plus we can not get our tv anywhere, and have had someone who is a technician to try and sort it for us, even he couldn't.

Somehow TiVo has acquired this image of a high quality company. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Let's start with basic customer service. When are you most likely to have trouble with your TiVo? When you are watching TV, right? So when do most people watch TV? Evening and weekends. So TiVo shuts down customer service at 6:00 PM on weekdays, and 5:00 PM on weekends. And if you happen to be on the phone with an agent at 5:45 or so, they will just put you on hold and go away. You are totally screwed and have to call back the next day. That happened to me at least 3 times, even when I called at 5:00.

I had a particular issue with the pause button not pausing under certain circumstances. First they said it was a bug that was fixed in a new version. Then it was that my unit must have been defective and they sent me a refurbished one (with a big gouge in the case), which also had the same problem. Then they said it was a bug and opened a report. And when I inquired about that a few months later they said it was an enhancement. To make the Pause button always pause is an enhancement?? As I write this I am on hold with TiVo - the voice said the wait time would be 2 minutes. It is now 35 minutes and counting. It seems as though every time I ask or need something from TiVo I come away disappointed and/or pissed. Satellite TV, here I come.

I am so over TIVO and their lack of technical and customer support. DO NOT BUY TIVO. I've been a customer for over 10 years and have had no problems until they joined with another co... and we have had nothing but problems and have not had a good line up for nearly 2 weeks. I have called and called and called and am on hold for 21 minutes as I write this and they said it would be about 5 minutes before they would answer. And I will pitch a hissy fit if I don't get a refund for this month's service... It's been 23 minutes now...

TiVo experience as described by TiVo is truly a wonderful world of TV viewing and recording. The easy to use and quite elegant interface is simple and intuitive and has the ability to satisfy an entire family. IN REALITY: My TiVo hardware and software were bound to fail individually and together. I've just been through two weeks of my TiVo Roamio and TiVo Minis refusing to tune TV or function as advertised. They would intermittently fail leaving me to call and spend literally hours day after day on the phone with often rude techs that put you on hold, disconnect you and fail to call back after promises to do so. I've been promised that my problem would be escalated to higher level techs on numerous occasions however I've never been transferred to escalated tech support and they eventually blamed Comcast as the problem source citing a probable weak signal.

I called for a Comcast visit at my expense and was shown the meter readings that resulted in a good quality cable signal registering 90% on the TiVo equipment that wasn't functioning. It is hard to believe that you need a signal of higher than 90% percent for their equipment to work as advertised. When I called TiVo back the called was answered with "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume and your wait will be approximately 20 minutes." My phone displays the call time and they didn't answer for 1 hour and 5 minutes. I can't help but wonder how many people are going through the exact same disappointment to cause an hour wait for tech support. After re-explaining my problem for 15th time he had me go through his troubleshooting script and eventually agreed that perhaps the Roamio was defective. I requested a replacement for my lifetime subscription Roamio that was approximately 6 months old.

The representative advised me that I would have to pay a $50.00 replacement fee. These people owe me a lot of money for the amount of my time that they wasted by making me run through their troubleshooting script over and over with no results. Eventually they relented and agreed to send me a replacement as long as I paid for it with my Credit Card with the promise to refund upon receipt of my unit. It looks like I'm going to go another week without TV because of TiVo's inability and lack of motivation to solve TiVo problems promptly and their inability provide real tech support. You are in for a world of disappointment and aggravation if you make the decision to use TiVo service and equipment. It is truly a business that cares little other than to promote and sell equipment and service that will fail sooner than later. I've used a TiVo Premiere for years with no problems.

When I upgraded to the Roamio and TiVo Mini my TiVo troubles came fast and furious with no viable TiVo support. Their operating system updates eventually cripple your units and leave you hanging in TV limbo for days causing you to invest hours talking to techs in the Philippines who actually have no idea why your units are not functioning or how to restore them. Do not buy a TiVo Roamio, TiVo Bolt or a TiVo Mini. They only work in their glossy brochures or on their websites. I wish 0 stars was an option as TiVo deserves it for their contempt for their subscribers.

Just too much trouble. Constantly no or limited service. Customer service not available. Cancelled today and will probably have to go to court, small claims, to get my money for the box back.

Buyer beware! This could happen to you. I purchased two Tivos one in 2009 and one in 2010 each costing over $300 with service plans of $129 per year per unit to replace cable DVRs supplied by my Cable company. The performance of the Tivos did not meet my expectations - failing to operate properly and having to be rebooted often. Because of this and my cable provider's problems led me to consider going to DirecTV. When I complained to Tivo before installing DirecTV they told me to buy new Tivo boxes at list prices to continue service. After spending all the money I invested in their products and services over 5-6 years, I thought they no longer deserved my business so I made the change to DirecTV since Tivo exhibited a lack of consideration and very poor empathy for their existing loyal customers.

Additionally, about 50 programs recorded on one of the Tivos cannot be accessed and watched, something they said I would be able to do after dropping their service. I lost my ability to view some of my favorite shows. Now I find out that they have discontinued providing their programming services for these devices all together so I cannot even sell the units, in good conscience, to anyone since they would not be able to get them provisioned by Tivo. I'm very happy now with my DirecTV and would not recommend Tivo to anyone!

TiVo totally blew its latest software upgrade. I lost all my settings on all three Tivo's I had. There was no notice that basic settings would be impacted, just some service interruptions. I have worked for hours and have only brought one TiVo back to the same level it was before. My shows won't record since all the info is gone. Restarting and connecting to the TiVo service even with multiple times on this time consuming process did not work. This is totally unacceptable! TiVo just not care about its customers even though we pay a premium price. Impossible to get thru to an actual person to help you. So sorry I signed lifetime contracts with this company!

As more people "cut the cord" with traditional cable providers, this is the only "Over The Air" (OTA) tuner worth a darn. Not to say there is much competition, but what is out there is seriously flawed. Specifically the ability to connect seamlessly with modern 4k TVs out of the box and most importantly have the ability to display the picture in the correct aspect ratio. The TiVo Bolt does this flawlessly. The only cons I've encountered are poorly trained technical advisors at TiVo. Drawing on a completely outdated business model, the crew struggles embarrassingly when it comes to answering questions about "Over The Air" TiVo set up. At times the techs redefine the expression "on the job training".

Lastly, the program guide, which you will be paying dearly for after your one-year freebie evaporates, in some respects, is not as good as the guide that is displayed with the TV's stock OTA tuner! Specifically the ability to display "Justice", "Comet", "Grit", "Decades" and so on. What you will have is the generic station identification displayed with no way to edit. I'm hoping that as soon as TiVo figures out who is buying their product and why, someone will get off the pipe and on the ball!

The system actually deletes shows chosen by the viewer with an UNWORKABLE VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL SYSTEM that at best confuses anyone trying to operate it & quite often cancels programs which the client states NOT TO DELETE UNTIL I CHOOSE. The box is ALWAYS being blamed yet when changed it continues as usual. According one of the top engineers at VIRGIN MEDIA maintains that it is unworkable & that every customer he meets makes the complaint about it as I have myself asserted. Until THE TiVo management & their so-called engineers HARKEN unto the practical experiences of those that have to handle it there will be NO improvement & the monthly rises in tariff will NEVER be justified.

Last year moved into a new area with Comcast and was told that my TiVo would be compatible. After trying multiple cable cards and working with various technicians on both ends, we decided it wasn't going to work. I decided to use a Comcast DVR but found it lacking in comparison and really wanted to go back to TiVo.

TiVo support told me that the newer units - like the BOLT would be easier setup and more likely to work. I ordered the BOLT but basically had the same problem. I finally cancelled my TiVo service and sent back the BOLT with a letter stating I wanted a refund. Instead they shipped me out a new unit, then told me I couldn't get a refund until I sent that one back. Finally got the new one and sent it back and now have to wait up to two weeks to get refund.

Very unhappy with customer support because I feel they misrepresented the TiVo's ability to be compatible with Comcast and they didn't cancel my service when they said they were going to and that they are taking so long to credit my account after the return. I've been told by numerous technicians that cable card technology is very old and not reliable so not sure why TiVo doesn't find another way. I did just get the new Comcast X1 DVR and love it. It's very like TIVO except can't watch Netflix and Amazon on it. TiVo needs to upgrade their technology and their customer service.

I was using an antenna with a TiVo DVR but decided to go with cable TV and their DVR. So I called and cancelled the TiVo service. The representative said he would hold the service open two months in case I sold the TiVo unit and that person wanted to take advantage of a one-time fee. It was my understanding they would cancel the service after that. Luckily my credit card was changed shortly afterward. I then got a bill from TiVo for $14.99.

I called and told them I had cancelled but they told me the service had just been put on hold. I protested and soon got a run from a Collection agency. I sent them a check with an angry letter demanding my money back. Their representative was just downright rude. They stole 14.99 from me but made an enemy for life. I can't believe they have become this kind of company. They won't last much longer.

Box came, didn't want & couldn't install. No help. Canceled 12/15. Told bill ended 2/16, but continues. 4/16, Lania: "A year contract!" What? "In small print. To cancel, $75." On hold, no return. Later Diego, same. Unethical & fraudulent.

Our first time ever being sent to a collection agency, and it was due to our credit card on account expiring. Had they sent us a bill in the mail for the $12.95 it would have been paid, or even a phone call to inform us of the expiring credit card would have worked. We simply did not know that we owed the money. They said that they sent us emails informing us of the expiring credit card, but I'm afraid my 73 year old husband checks his emails about once every couple of months. Not everyone is attached to their computer screen. Especially retired people. We cancelled our TiVo account today and it turns out Comcast had a better offer for better equipment anyway. Unfortunately for TiVo, we never would have even checked into Comcast had TiVo not had such a poor business practice.

I bought a TiVo 500MB DVR which is also offered in a 1000MB model. I chose the smaller version because they touted its expandability via an expansion drive. It turns out the only drive they support is a Western Digital 1TB drive which hasn't been manufactured for several years and is no longer available. This is outright fraud. They also don't make it clear you have to permanently connect your BOLT to a hardwired network connection in order to use the MoCA network option to use the Minis. Virtually no older home in the US has network drops in any rooms. This is the most deceptive company I have ever dealt with. I assume because their technology is now very old and they haven't kept up. You don't want to buy their products. I can't return mine because the cable company took longer than 30 days to install service and provide me a cable card for the BOLT.

At one time, TiVo was a state of the art company. Now, they are no longer a worthwhile company, and their billing practices are at best unethical, and, at worst, borderline fraudulent. I canceled my service a few months ago, because they no longer provide a product that meets my needs. I had to argue with a service representative for fifteen minutes, before they would allow me to cancel. After he agreed to cancel my account, I found that my account was not cancelled, and I continued to get billed, until fortunately, my credit card expired, at which point they mailed me a final bill. I would recommend that people stay away from this company.

Love my TiVo but I hate what they've become. They used to be better, but their customer service has tanked. Smug, condescending, flat out rude. This isn't just one bad apple either. This is the norm based on the many, many times I've had to call for a single issue that is still not resolved. I am a call center general manager. I know customer service. What they're doing is embarrassing. Either the management doesn't care or the execs are only interested in the numbers. Either way, I cannot recommend TiVo any longer. Not when I can get a comparable product directly from the cable company. Given that level of competition you'd think they would try to be better than the other guys, to set themselves apart. Sadly, it looks like with Comcast's deplorable reputation for customer service, TiVo must feel like they don't have to try. It shows.

I bought 3 TiVo Boxes in 2013, nothing but trouble. I received a defective warranty replacement, still dealing with it 6 months later. They do not offer lifetime TiVo service with new TiVo boxes now, guess that's why they don't honor the warranty with mine (MINE ARE LIFETIME TIVO SERVICE). I personally wish someone else would incorporate this IN THE TV, and cut TiVo out completely. Dealing with TiVo is like having root canal done... rectally!

We subscribed to the TiVo DVR in 2008. We were sent a DVR device that worked very well and we were happy with the service. In October of 2012, the DVR device stopped working and we called the Technical Support Department. We were informed that TiVo doesn't manufacture or repair DVR devices, so we would need to buy a new one for $150.00 to REPLACE the old one. So they proceeded to take an order for a new TiVo device on that same call. We had the option of paying for the device via monthly payments or a single payment. It was my husband doing the transaction, so I told him to decide what he wanted to do in regards to payment. In the end, he told me he was offered a small discount on the monthly service of about 4 dollars. The TiVo employee told us to disconnect the old TiVo device when we got the new one on the mail, to connect the new one and dispose of the old device; so we did.

We pay for the TiVo service automatically, with the credit card that we mainly use for everything, so we have around 200-250 transactions every month in every statement, which I review and pay online. When I check my statement, I mainly check for merchants I don't know. So I've been receiving statements with two TiVo charges every month, on the 3rd and one on the 17th of each month, since October 2012. At first I assumed one charge was for the TiVo service, and the other one must be partial payment for the device. And frankly, I got used to seeing the charges. Also, a family member was having a serious, long-term health issue, so I wasn't in a position to give it much thought, either. Yesterday, while going through my credit card statement, I thought it was about time I stopped seeing two charges from TiVo, as the device must've been paid for a long time ago (we got it on October 2012).

So I logged into the TiVo website, which I hadn't accessed in years, and I realized that the two monthly charges are for two different DEVICES. I have been paying monthly services for EACH device, the old one at $16.99/month and the new one at $12.99/month! The new device had been paid for in one single payment of $149.99 on October of 2012. Of course I felt dumb for not having realized, but on the same token, the time around October 2012 had been very stressful. So I called the TiVo Customer Service last night and explained the situation calmly and politely. The lady explained to me that it was our job to contact TiVo and have our old device deactivated, which we didn't, and that the new one was considered an extra device, hence it came with its own service charge.

She was super nice and informed me that, unfortunately, she couldn't find any notes in the system attesting that the purchased device was in fact a REPLACEMENT for the old device. I told her that no one had explained that part to us, and that when we have been in similar situations in which we have had the need to replace a Vonage device, a cable box or even an internet modem. We have never had the need to go through the administrative task of making sure they unsubscribe the device. Furthermore, the person who recommended us to replace the device and took the order for the new one didn't mention anything to us.

I requested a refund for the 38 months we've been charged for a device we threw away on October 2012. She said she didn't have the empowerment to refund the money, but she did check the system and confirmed that the old device never "checked in" with the TiVo server, which is proof that it hasn't been used since October 2012. We ended our call in an amiable way, when I thanked her for trying to help and asked her to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor, John, picked up the phone and he was not friendly at all. He scolded me for not having noticed the truth about the double charges in three years. I admitted to him that I should've probably noticed before but the fact is I didn't.

We get too many transactions in one single credit card statement, so I didn't really pay attention to those two amounts. But on the same token, we were never informed in any way that we needed to unsubscribe the old device; we were only told to physically replace it, which we did. I tried to talk to him some more, but he started getting argumentative and interrupting me. I didn't lose my temper or anything. I just informed him that to me this was not personal against him, but it was a business transaction and he should take it as such. He told me that to him, this was like selling cars. So we had bought a car from TiVo and he didn't know/care what I did to my old car. I explained to him that TiVo doesn't sell cars, TiVo sells a monthly service and that the device is the medium to deliver the service. He confirmed that he had the ability to refund the money ($644 total), but he wouldn't. So I decided to end the call there, in a polite way.

I hope someone at Consumer Affairs may help me get back my $644. I am submitting the image with the order number on October 2012, as well as the monthly billing history for the old device (at $16.95/month) and the new device (at @12.99/month). Please note that, on the billing history of the NEW device, it is noted as an UPGRADE. Thank you.

Worst company ever to deal with regarding billing. Called in September to close an account I was no longer using. Given case # and told the account would need to go into arrears for 45 days after which I would receive a bill. Assured that no collection action would occur... Paid on 11/15/15 same day I received bill. Tivo cashed check on 11/22/15. I received collection action today from them for same amount. WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN AND WILL BE ACTIVE IN NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE ELSE USE THEM EITHER!!

I have called TiVo many times for the same problem. I've been told repeatedly that they would get back to me. Last person I spoke to was a monster who supposedly was a manager named Larry. SOOO RUDE!!! I asked to speak to his manager and he claimed not to have one.

I am so angry with TiVo that I'll need 20mg of ** to sleep tonight. I have been a loyal customer since 2009 and am on my 4th device. I tend to upgrade electronics when something new comes out. You would think that this is the type of customer they want. I am returning my BOLT. I am a long-time TiVo owner and the BOLT is the 4th model I have purchased. My Roamio was purchased last February at full price. I called TiVo on October 18th to confirm I could cancel my monthly service for Roamio since I was buying a BOLT. I was assured it was canceled and I would not be billed next month since the BOLT is prepaid for one year.

Today I was billed for it and called TiVo again. This time the person told me that I was under "contract" with the Roamio until February and would have to continue paying. I had already sold the Roamio using Amazon Trade-in and no longer even have the device. I will not do business with TiVo again unless someone contacts me in a hurry to make it right! They have lost a good and loyal customer.

Review is for TiVo company & not specific to any particular product. Service is mandatory. Product is only as good as provider of service. It seems company is in downward spiral. Beware TiVo purchase. I have had service since 2002 & had been a loyal consumer. No more. Boxes don't last long. Software upgrades crash system. Customer service is extremely poor. Given inaccurate information. Do not honor offers. Made to call back numerous times & got run around. Hit wall when trying to correct situation. Unfortunately locked into year contract, only recourse is feedback and contact BBB & Consumer Affairs. Please be forewarned before getting stuck. This is not the same TiVo of old. Check out a competitor for a better experience all around.

I called to cancel my TiVo service in the Spring of 2015. I was considering selling my TiVo equipment and the rep said he would extend my account for a two months in case I did sell it. It was my understanding that by doing this, the warranty info would transfer to the new owner. I wasn't made aware that after the two month "grace" they would continue charging my credit card for the TiVo service. I noticed the charge on my credit card and called the company to clear it up.

They looked back at the call I made when cancelling the service and it said I agreed to the "grace" period. It wasn't made clear to me that I would begin getting charged again for a service I am no longer using. I voiced my dissatisfaction with this and said it didn't seem fair that I was being charged for a service I was clearly not using any more. The rep said there was no way to tell if I was using the service or not (I find that hard to believe). So, they would not refund me the $80. I am very unhappy, and it now proves to me it was a good decision to get rid of TiVo!

RCN tells me it didn’t work because it crashes. Then you need to unplug it and hope it reboots. It didn’t. Tech came again and replaced box. One week later it crashed again. Am now waiting for a senior tech. Absolutely do not recommend and will look for an alternate.

Recently I purchased a new, top of the line TiVo box Roamio. Out = $532. I paid for overnight service only to find out that my device was defective (purchased for sublet of my home for the summer and little time to install before leaving town = $57. Paid for Geek Squad to install but they could not because device was defective. Out = $125. After calling to exchange device, your team disconnected me THREE times.

By now rather cranky, they refused to overnight my replacement saying it was against corporate policy that TiVo does not eat shipping. In other words because your team does not have quality control, it's ok for your customer to eat shipping...not once, but twice! Bottom line, they refused to credit me the overnight fee I paid in the first place and refused to overnight the replacement device. But I could have asked for an RMA returned the device and repurchased all over again!! Such a stupid policy.

I asked to speak to a supervisor when things turned even more sour. Two supervisors did not help. The second after I stated I was returning the device, I was in the middle of a luncheon and wasn't interested in speaking further, continued to call my cell phone twice to continue arguing with me!! This is crazy!! I gave up and asked to credit my new device as I was no longer interested in further frustration from TiVo, a company who does not know the meaning of customer service nor customer retention. Just received an email saying they could not refund me until I call back!!

TiVo Company Profile