Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.53/5

TiVo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Resolution response: July 15, 2020

As a result of posting this initial review, a Tivo “executive support” tech called me. He was one of their elite techs that a customer calling can not be transferred to no matter how bad your situation. Cust. service has to send his group an email before they can be bothered to talk to you. He was friendly enough, but was not entirely familiar with the menus on my unit, and he had not read the history of my prior calls. He led me through a series of troubleshooting steps to rule out some possible problems. Then he directed me to try deleting some data on my unit, saying that the system would restore it. This locked up the unit completely!

I got a hold of him the next day and this time he said I had 2 options: Buy another unit (a refurbished one for $350) or try running another routine that “should” fix the problem (note that he really doesn’t know what the problem is) but will delete all of the programs my wife and I had recorded! I went the delete all option, because after all the frustration I’ve been through with Tivo’s support people, I’m sure not buying another Tivo.

Original review: July 8, 2020

We cut-the-cord on cable TV a couple of years ago, switching to a Tivo box, over-the-air local channels, and streaming providers. The Tivo box worked fine for over a year, recording the over-the-air shows just as I had set up. Recently it has skipped recording some of my daily shows. It will record several days of shows correctly, and then skip a day. I called Tivo support about this over a month ago. They told me it was a known issue for about a year and many customers are having the same problem. They could not say when it will be fixed, but it should be soon.

Now, over a month later, the Tivo box failed to record again. I called Tivo Tech Suprt. again. She told me engineering is still working on it. She said it’s a software issue and “everyone is working on it” — very suspicious. Ask yourself, how could everyone in engineering be working on a software bug and still not have it resolved after one year! I’m tired of getting lied to. Here’s the bottom line: TIVO IS MORE INTERESTED IN SELLING PRODUCT THEN FIXING PROBLEMS CUSTOMERS ARE HAVING with their products.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a Tivo Bolt in 2016 with the lifetime subscription. I bought it right before they were discontinuing the lifetime subscriptions service. I have never been charged for service. In 2018 I bought a Tivo Mini to work off of the Bolt for another room in the house. I liked the fact that you didn't need any additional service fees to use the mini off the Bolt. A couple weeks ago, Tivo started asking me for an updated credit card to charge me for my annual service plan. I thought, that can't be, because I have the lifetime subscription and ignored it.

I started getting the service will be discontinued messages. So I sent an email, which ended with them saying, "You only have lifetime on the mini." I called to speak to a representative and they again said the same thing. "You only have the lifetime on the mini." I tried to explain to them, that the Bolt has the lifetime subscription, and the mini doesn't need a subscription, just an activation. The woman refused to listen and kept repeating that the mini has the lifetime subscription and then proceeded to tell me that Tivo made an error in not collecting my annual subscription for 4 years!!!

As a courtesy they are not going collect my back subscription but in order to keep service, I need to provide a valid credit card. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and was told, they will just tell you the same thing. This is not customer service at all, and I feel like I have been robbed! This new company merger is trying to cheat and steal it's customers. Like the new commercial they force you to watch at the beginning of your recorded programming!? This is a JOKE! I used to LOVE tivo, I have been with Tivo since 2000 when I bought my first series 2, I still have it! But this is a deceitful company now, they don't listen to t

Get buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I had to give one star to submit review but would prefer to give Tivo zero stars. I have owned Tivos since 2003 and been very happy. I never had a problem. Recently my Tivo quit working. I called for tech support and was told Tivo would replace my current defective Tivo for a service fee of $79 and I could transfer my lifetime service for $199. I agreed because I had had nothing but great service for 17 years. Since May I have received 3 replacement Tivo Bolts and spent hours over 4 week on the phone with tech support. One day I was on the phone for 4 hours running diagnostics! Tivo continues to blame my cable company when they have nowhere else to go. My previous Tivo worked just fine in this house, with this tv and cable company. The only thing that changed is the new Tive. Even so, I have made several calls to the cable company and even had a cable tech come to the house and check-out everything.

The current replacement has the same problem: difficulty changing channels, with up to a 5 second delay. I am in no way a tech person but I can now identify and change HDMI cables, move thru the diagnostic pages on the Tivo screen, tell you about SNR, dB and signal strength. I even added splitters and an attenuator (which I learned reduces signal strength) and added a second attenuator because my signal strength was still too high!

In addition, Tivo has forced ads into my recorded programs. When selecting a recorded program one of 3 things occurs: it occasionally goes right to the program, more likely though, a grey screen appears for 3 to 5 seconds and then a commercial for a new Tivo channel, or an additional commercial for a product or service is run before the program starts. These commercials can be skipped but it is not a smooth process. Hitting skip or the FFward button cause the screen to jump around, go black, the small corner screen (upper right) appears and finally the program starts. I am saddened by the changes Tivo has made. I have asked for a refund and will gladly send back the new box but to no avail. I was told I need to try one more box. Bottom line. Do not purchase a Tivo or services. If yours dies, move on to a different company.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Having been a TiVo client for several years, my experiences have been unsatisfactory. Recently one of my TiVo minis malfunctioned - I paid for and was provided a replacement -however both the first and second replacement were faulty. I spent hours on the phone with TiVo technical support. Then my main box, a TiVo Bolt malfunctioned - again hours on the phone with technical support who identified that the Bolt was faulty. I was offered to buy a replacement Bolt, but preferred to upgrade to TiVo Edge which is reputed to be more dependable than the Bolt. I requested a credit for the faulty Bolt or some accommodation on purchasing an Edge but this was denied -I would have to buy the Edge as if a new customer with no credit offered for the Bolt. So after multiple device failures in a two week period, hours on the phone with technical support - all wasted time, the customer service approach was take it or leave it - poor and I will be leaving TiVo.

Original review: March 13, 2020

My Tivo subscription ended and 3/3/20 I re-upped my service on that day. I also removed my old Tivo bolt and replaced in on the same day. I called Tivo billing and had them remove my old Bolt from my account and put the new charges to my new Bolt device. On 3/10/20 I checked my bank charges and saw that Tivo had billed me an additional $149.99. On 3/11/20 The original charge cleared but after speaking to their billing services dept. they assured my I would be refunded the $149.99 after 3-5 days.

Today 3/13/20 I see they charged me AGAIN this time for $160.11. Again I contacted tivo billing to have yet another bogus charge removed. Again they tell me 3-5 days. They charged me 2 additional times for the same service and now I have to wait 3-5 days for the first charge to be removed and another 3-5 days for a second bogus charge to be removed. I would cancel this "service" but I just bought a new Bolt device AND paid for a 1 year subscription, so I would be out that money as well. This will be my last year of Tivo "service". They are quick to charge my account but I have to wait until they are good and ready to maybe refund my money. Heck, they could just charge me again and again and again if they wanted just to tie up my money. They are BS. Do NOT buy their service or their device. They are a rip-off.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

TiVo has the worst customer service and they are not honoring their agreement. I Purchased a brand new TiVo edge on October 7. A little over 30 days the hard drive stopped working. TiVo said in their agreement that if the DVR is defective within the first 90 days they will replace it for free. I called them on November 26 and they said they will be sending me a tracking number for shipping. I never got The tracking number and here I am 10 days later and still no replacement box.

I called TiVo 5 different times asking them where is my replacement box and each representative keeps giving me the same runaround story. The last representative I spoke to I thought was going to be very helpful. Ended up saying the very same thing that the last representative said. They keep telling me 24 to 48 hours I will be getting a tracking number I promise. They said they have sent my case over to special team’s to see why my replacement box has not shipped. What is it going to take for them to send me my replacement box and they will not let me speak to a supervisor. It seems like now that they have my money they could care less whether or not I get my replacement and or not honoring their agreement.

Now I am paying for a monthly service and I have no DVR box. I am so disgusted with their service and not honoring their agreement that I will NEVER Buy another TiVo product again. And I will tell everyone I know to never buy a TiVo product. And the sad thing is I really love the TiVo edge I thought it was a good product until it broke after a little over 30 days which I thought was pathetic. TiVo you have lost me as a long-time customer by not honoring your agreement. I should not have had to call this many times and all I want is my brand new box that I just spent a lot of money on.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I've been having some technical difficulties with the MoCA and the sound reception in my Mini's. I keep getting an error that the signal was low. Called the technical service. A representative named Jay was not helpful. He was saying I have an issue with the Router and its Firewall and TCP ports and referred me to the manufacturer of my router instead and that was the end of that conversation. I rebooted my Router and everything stated working again. The Router is working just fine and no issue with it, but I was still having an issue with low signal and sound on my Mini's. It was still going on and off on my Mini's. I called back again after a few days hoping to get a representative who would be more helpful than the previous one. No luck. The next person was dumber than the last and was blaming the coaxial cable!

She was very condescending. She thinks she speak English well. She was speaking slowly like I don't understand English. These representative are from the Philippines and they have horrible personalities. She's the one who is lost, like the Jay. I am an American with a college education and well to do and a Supervisor where I work. I think their technical support representatives have low IQ's. These representatives are not well trained in what they do and are very disrespectful to customers. They're just plain dumb and want to pass the problem to the next guy. I will be leaving their service and try something else. Don't waste your money on Tivo. They are no longer a good company. I will be moving to T-Mobile service next. If you're still thinking of getting your money's worth by getting TIVO you will be out of luck. Get out now. Try something else.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

TiVo sales sold me the wrong BOLT DVR for my needs (OTA). I found out the same day that I needed the BOLT VOX. I called them within 24 hours and they would not do a refund of the BOLT OTA, they said I needed to order the BOLT VOX separately. They promised they would issue a refund for the BOLT OTA. No refund received. Every time I call they say they are working on issuing my refund. So far I am sorry I ever got involved with TiVo. The technicians know nothing about the problems you encounter and just make things up and lie about everything. Same with customer service, lies and more lies. Going to my credit card company and hope they will cover my loss with TiVo.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

On Friday November 15 my TiVo system stopped working correctly. When I tried to view a recording it just went to a grey screen. I power cycled and also deleted many recordings trying to get the system to work thinking it was having a hard time reading the disk even though the unity was less than a year old. Then it started doing unfamiliar things like showing commercials instead of my recorded shows. Finally I realized when I tried to watch a recording sometime it would just go to a logo page and sit there and other times it would play a commercial. But before realizing what was happening I deleted most of my recording and recorded settings.

It is unforgivable that TiVo decided to just start forcing consumers that paid hundreds of dollars for their equipment and a monthly subscription fee to be forced to watch advertising and create severe latency before the commercial started and sometimes it didn't start at all, without as much a informing me the customer what they were forcing me to do without consent. What is an even bigger slap in the face is they renewed my annual subscription service on the Sunday following their Friday change. For behavior like this I will never trust TiVo again and the minute a replacement solution is available my TiVo will be thrown into the trash. Shame on them for doing something so intrusive and inappropriate.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Updated on 01/02/2020: In discussions with Lez from the higher level customer support department, he said that he could not give me the additional year of service (value $150) that I requested as compensation for the hours I lost because of their poor tech support and the expense incurred following their instructions. Instead, he offered to issue another $30 credit to my card. I wasn't satisfied, but I accepted. To date (a month+ later), I haven't seen that additional $30. I can't fathom a company that does business like this. Losing a multi-decade customer over the pittance it would have taken to make me happy. I think Tivo needs a serious reboot.

Original review: I purchased an Edge to replace my Bolt in order to get UHD and HDR. After setup, the Netflix app on the Edge didn't work (Prime and others apps did work, as did the Netflix app on my Smart TV). After almost an hour with Tivo Tech Support (repeating the same troubleshooting steps over and over) they said they would send me a replacement. The replacement had exactly the same problem. By this time the issue had been escalated to more senior techs. Their solutions were to upgrade my HDMI cable or replace my receiver. I went out and spent $58 on a the latest and best HDMI cable. Still didn't work. And replacing my brand new Marantz receiver made no sense. So, I contacted Marantz. Within 20 minutes, with a few setting changes, I was able to get Netflix on my Edge.

I wrote an email to Customer Service suggesting that Tivo Tech Support connect with the major receiver brands to determine which setting were necessary to be compatible with Tivo's products. Also, to compensate me for the hours and money I spend on this issue, I asked for a free 1 year extension to my Tivo subscription. Customer Service referred me back to Tech Support who referred me back to Customer Service. In the end, they showed little interest in my suggestion and gave me a $30 dollar refund. I've been a Tivo customer since the very beginning of the company. And I worked this problem through with them calmly and in good faith. Disappointing that in the end they didn't seem to care.

TiVo author review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

by Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team