Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.58/5

135 TiVo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I cancelled my account with TiVo after 15 or so years. When I talked to the CSR she said it would cost me $75.00 to cancel. After we had a heart to heart and she cleared it with her supervisor she came back saying there would be no charge and appreciated all the years of me being a TIVO client. Today my Amex statement shows a $75.00 pending charge. Short term memory on their part, not sure but I will dispute it. It is only a matter of time before TIVO is out of business.

Original review: July 26, 2019

My original Bolt DVR had a hard disk failure after being used for two years. I was told to return it, and I bought a refurbished unit from TiVo for $50. To make a long story short, that first refurbished unit didn't work, and over time I was given two additional refurbished Bolt units which also didn't work. DO NOT BUY REFURBISHED STUFF FROM TIVO! I ended up buying a new TiVo Bolt through Amazon. After reading all the negative postings here, I hope it performs! I have a feeling this company is going down the tubes. Someone over there is smoking too much weed.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have had TiVo for over 20 years. As of mid-June, their app to watch On Demand programming through Comcast/Xfinity has expired. The message indicates it was old and never updated. With Comcast being one of the largest providers of cable tv in the country, I am amazed TiVo allowed it to occur, and incredibly frustrated that it's not resolved. I was told it would be resolved by June 30. I just called support again, and they say I should have never been told that, they have no idea if it will ever work again.

I pay $200/month for cable, and watch On Demand constantly. To not be able to access it because TiVo never bothered to keep the app up to date is unacceptable, irresponsible and very poor planning on TiVo's part. I paid money to watch a show last night via Prime, which I could have gotten for free from Comcast. I just upgraded to a TiVo Bolt, spent a lot of money on it, now can't even use if for the primary reason I bought it. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We were planning a trip to Europe and my husband wanted to watch his favorite sports so we called TiVo and others to see if they had a product that would allow us to record a program and then access it via the internet from overseas. The salesperson at TiVo assured me that their product allowed us to playback recorded programs from anywhere. NOT TRUE. It only allows playback from within the residence where TiVo is installed.

We spent $250 on the box plus almost $16/month for the service that was sold on a false promise. That wasn't bad enough but the service and product are not very good. We were never able to sync our TV to the TiVo remote despite several phone calls to customer service. Service went down many times requiring us to restart completely with Cable provider. After 10 months we gave up and switched to a DVR provided by Spectrum which is fabulous. Tried to cancel and they will charge us $90 for cancelling before the year is up. Will therefore pay for two more months of lousy service, then cancel and be free of this lousy product.

Original review: June 19, 2019

05/14/19 NO STARS have been waiting on a $1000+ refund that is WAY overdue - yet, they have all of their equipment... DO NOT order with them if you plan on counting on their refund. Horrible, now I am still with DirecTV. Time to get only streaming.... TiVo, Inc. Response. 05/21/2019 TiVo has worked with the customer to resolve the above inquiry. TiVo and the customer have reached an agreement which suits both parties and the customer has agreed that the matter is resolved to her satisfaction. TiVo considers this inquiry to be closed. Customer Response. 05/21/2019. They called me AFTER I filed reviews - ONLY then... Still waiting on the rest of my refund. Not RESOLVED until that is credited to my account! TiVo should not consider this inquiry to be "CLOSED" until they reimburse me for items they are in possession. It is not CLOSED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have been a TiVo customer for over a decade. I have 8 TiVo devices in my home. Within my home I’m able to watch content from one TiVo DVR on another one. When I leave home on vacation, I set up out-of-home streaming on my iPad. This works for a day or two, although often the TiVo app requires me to setup again. After a few of these repeat set-up for out-of-home streaming, the app gets hung up as soon as the app is launched. And it is not just slow, as I’ve let it run for hours with no success.

I just now chatted with someone at TiVo. Her advice was to set up out-of-home streaming the next time I am home. She was not smart enough to understand that this issue happens all the time with the app, and that her solution is not satisfactory as it works for only a day or two. I have also received a message from the TiVo app on other recent vacations that TiVo is shutting my access down to my TiVo DVRs because it thinks I have exceeded the number of devices accessing my DVRs. This simply is not true as I only access the content from one iPad. The app often requires me to reset the out-of-home streaming while out of home, which it allows me to do a few times. Their software must assume each time I do this it must be a new device. I really am fed up with TiVo. I suggest potential customers find another way to stream content while away from home.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have been a customer for more than 10 years, a lot of my Tivo boxes are obsolete except my Tivo Bold. This company was so good before and now the competitions pass them. 99% of the time I cannot stream my shows.... Contacted them many times and stuck with the same issue. No difference if I’m home with my WIFI or out at my office streaming is not good. I’m using an iPad pro and everything disconnects in the middle of a show and I need to reconnect the streaming device. This device Bolt system is using the same network and I give 1/2 star. I’m just frustrated.... This is going on or more than 4 months.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Hello, I would like to start by saying that TiVo customer service is great. I understand that there are issues that are out of their control such as defective models. I don't have the TiVo Bolt, but I haven't heard good things about it. I don't like the triangular box casing. It seems to me that they focused on extras like voice controlled remote. It is nice feature, but I rather have a functional menu and a high quality, long lasting DVR box.

I have a Roamio, Roamio Plus, 2 Roamio Pros, and 2 TiVo Minis. Roamio Pro is the best one yet. It has a 3Tb hard drive, 6 tuners and is great for streaming and transferring recordings to my laptop. Highly recommended!! Roamio Plus is almost the same as the Pro, except, the hard drive is 1Tb. I have had some issues with this model, and I've heard that that's common with the Plus. Things like restarting the box by itself, freezing image, spotty connectivity, happen often apparently. Not really recommended! Roamio is excellent too. It has four tuners and it comes with a 500Gb hard drive, that I upgraded to 3Tb quite easily. The only problem that I encountered so far with this Basic Model is that I can't transfer recordings to my laptop anymore, but it is not a deal breaker. Highly recommended!

TiVo minis. The older model, I haven't tried the Vox Mini. They work pretty good, but they lose connection every so often. You can go back to TiVo Central and start watching your recording again, but it is still annoying depending on your patience level. Also streaming platforms like Hulu don't work well with this model I imagine due to the limitations of the processor. You can still access the other TiVo devices and watch those shows. I recommend it with reservation.

I would to address some issues that customers have experienced. The new update code name HYDRA makes the user interface faster, but I don't think is worth the trouble of losing functionality of the back directional button ◀️. Also, it doesn't look that much better. Thankfully, when I access that box through any of the other boxes that haven't been updated to Hydra, it shows up with the normal user interface and do what I want to just the same. There is always the option of resetting the box to default settings, but the recordings will be erased and the guide too.

At first, setting up the any TiVo box in your home, will take some time and patience. Spectrum cable customer service agents helped me to get each box started but it took a long time. Make sure you have a proper cable connection, good internet connections with Ethernet cables for best results. Moca is supposed to work as well, but I have only used Ethernet cables and Wi-Fi. One time, I had a bad Cable card and a bad cable adapter box. Cable adapters come with the cable card for better signal reception. Once you get it going, it is great. I wish premium channels and on demand channels worked through the cable card, but I can access those through the spectrum app on my Roku so it is not that big a deal.

A customer said that the lifetime service on his Series 3 TiVo was somehow closed and deactivated. That sounds like a nightmare and I hope that there was a way to reinstate the account. I don't wish that experience to anyone. All in all I recommend the TiVo PRO with lifetime service. The customer service reps that I've dealt with were humble and very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Not sure if the makers really think about their updates. The last update is a joke. Why would you take away something that took 1 button click and now make it 4 clicks. It's so frustrating. Just to play a recorded show is now 4 clicks. Sh.. Get your collective heads out of your butts and ask your consumers what they think before you force it on us.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Let me start by saying that I love TiVo products and heretofore have never had problems with technical support. Even this time the support itself was fine. My problem is with the monies that I had to commit to receive a replacement for a defective TiVo Mini VOX. I have had a Mini VOX for a little over a year when it failed. (Wouldn't you know - just a couple of weeks out of warranty!) Anyway, I called tech support and, after a few tests they confirmed that it was the TiVo that had failed and not some other part of my setup. So we arranged for a discounted replacement. In order to secure this I was charged up front for the replacement ($51) for the replacement + $190 for deposit in case I did not return the defective unit. The $190 is the price for a complete system including manuals, power supply, and remote control in addition to the TiVo itself (actually $180 at Best Buy).

What I received from them was just the TiVo itself - and a refurbished unit to boot. OK, so I get the $190 back... in a couple of weeks... but why did I have to lay down monies for two systems - the $50 for the refurb they were sending plus $190 for a complete new system? Adding salt into the wound, the refurb they sent me was dead on arrival!!! I am now waiting for a second replacement (fortunately they did not hit me up for another deposit). Whenever I have had to return merchandise under these conditions in the past, the vendor takes my credit card number with the understanding that If I do not return the defect unit being replaced I will be charged the full amount for the replacement.

TiVo expert review by Jonathan Trout

TiVo first appeared in 1999 with the DVR. Today it offers the TiVo BOLT, a streaming device that turns your TV into a smart TV by integrating your favorite streaming apps like Hulu, Netflix, Sling TV and more. The BOLT comes in a 500GB, 1TB and 3TB storage capacities. That comes out to be about 75, 150 and 450 hours of show and movie storage capability. Pricing starts at $199.99 for the 500GB BOLT, $299.99 for the 1TB and $499.99 for the 3TB.

• Monthly plans: You have three options when it comes to TiVo’s service plans. You can pay a monthly service fee of $14.99, an annual service fee of $149.99 or an all-in service plan for a one-time payment of $549.99. The monthly plan comes with a one-year commitment and a $75 early termination fee.

• Cable and streaming integration: By using the TiVo BOLT box instead of your cable provider's box, you can integrate your cable TV subscription with your streaming services subscriptions and puts them all in one place. This lets you avoid monthly rental and DVR fees from your cable company.

• Avoid commercials: SkipMode on the BOLT makes sure you never have to watch commercials again. Not only that, but you’ll never have to fast forward commercials again. One button lets you skip a whole commercial break and resume your show exactly where it picks up again.

• 4K ultra high definition compatible: 4K UHD TVs are slowly creeping into the market as the next big thing. TiVo BOLT is 4K compatible so you can get all the clarity, color and detail your new TV offers.

• Recording features: TiVo BOLT lets your record four shows at once for up to 150 hours of HD programming (for the standard model). Watch your recorded shows on your TV or your mobile device.

• Multiple devices: You can stream content from the TiVo BOLT on up to ten TVs as long as you have a TiVo Mini for each TV ($150 each).

• Best for: people who want to integrate their cable subscription and streaming service subscriptions in one place.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout