TiVo

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Happy customer for over 10 years. I was really surprised to see all the negative reviews. Tivo has state side support and always seem friendly and helpful to me. They stand behind their product better than most companies. But it does come at a price, you buy the equipment and pay a subscription.

I have no idea how far to go with the horrid support. I have been a Tivo owner since 2004 and simplicity has been the reason... That is gone. I literally lost 2-3 weeks of my life due to a defective unit. Not only did it not work until it was replaced over two weeks later (I requested it be replaced right away) but they insisted to be patient and keep downloading updates even though as long as it was hooked up I couldn't use my tv at all... Two weeks of no tv and missed shows and spending most of my time forcing updates or calling and playing games is absurd. My time is valuable and obviously tivo doesn't seem to care. I even got one support agent talking down to me and literally gaslighting me. No one should get that from tech support.

The only reason I even got a replacement was because after the abuse I Insisted on talking to a manager as my desire to return it was ignored. He sent one out asap. I asked about a previous unit that was supposed to come to me a week earlier and it was never sent even though support kept claiming it was on its way. They also kept insisting a new unit wouldn't fix the problem even though a new unit worked perfectly out of the box. I lost weeks worth of functionality, time and stress I didn't need.

It's not too much to ask a company to respect your time is valuable. My time lost could have bought 10 bolts... this refurbished one... which I only bought due to the discounted price wasn't worth it. It's working fine now but I feel compromised keeping it. I just don't want to fight with them anymore. When it expires I highly doubt I will ever use tivo again. If you get the runaround DON'T play their game. Insist on returning it or getting a new one ASAP and insist if it doesn't arrive in time to take it back. Although I doubt they will. You'd think they respect your desire to return things but I can't force them to live up to their legal responsibility without a lawyer.

TiVo has a lousy customer complaints department in my opinion. Plus poor Bolt cover color control. TiVo boxes colored bright white detracts from viewing the TV in a dark room. I have never experienced such a lack of listening to a customer as I have experienced at TiVo. TiVo customer complaints gives case numbers but do not record them, and when you call back because they have not responded to your complaint they indicate you are beyond their 30 days return policy. If you ask for their management emails they are not 'allowed to give them out'. Yet LinkedIn has most of them publicly available! If you tell them that you are going to document this situation on the internet, they indicate you are threatening them! Companies that treat their customers this way lose customers.

I'm on my 2nd Roamio box and all I've had is grief. My recordings are messed up and the machine might cut a recording or start recording then stop and then start to record again so my program is split up without human interference. Just the other day and this was the second time the box resets itself on its own. I was at my desk watching the news and without notice and it resets. Customer service is a waste of time. I called 6 times total over 6 months and gave up. I'm looking for an alternative to TiVo.

TiVo just lost a customer because they refuse to send me an invoice (hard copy or email I don't care) for their annual prepaid subscription. I bought a Bolt a year ago that came with one year of service included in the purchase. I got an updated credit card during the course of the year and when it came time to auto renew obviously the card was declined. Then the fun started. I could not find an email for customer care (or lack thereof as I was about to find), so I called in. The CSR told me that it was my responsibility to know when my bills were due and their system does not have the capability to generate an invoice. His snotty attitude really set me off so I tried with the only chat service they offer.

This person seemed nicer but eventually I got the same response. She escalated me to a Supervisor who called me the next day. All I want is a copy of an invoice for my records. Now I just got an email saying they discontinued my service and are sending me to collections... haha - for a prepaid service. I'm in the process of looking at other OTA DVR's and will soon purchase one rather than deal with TIVO anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TiVo?

It has been over 30 days, five email and two no sorry three case numbers and no response to date. Brutal customer service. I paid to unlock my box last year. This year they came back looking for another year's subscription but as I explained I paid last year. So I was to pay another 200 and then get a 50 dollar credit 30 days later. Not only do I feel I should not have to pay another 150 but I have been 30 days + just trying to get the already agreed upon $50 back.

TiVo is a horrible company for customer service. You send an email with a basic question and the response is 'security does not allow us to answer this', please call customer support. You call customer support and the automated voice says a five minute wait. You are waiting for 30 minutes. IF you do get someone, they listen to the issue and say this is the wrong department, they transfer you and you wait forever. I have surmised that if you have a yearly subscription and upgrade your equipment (ROAMIO to BOLT), you forfeit the remainder of the ROAMIO subscription and have to purchase a subscription to BOLT separately. They are terrible, I think the writing on the wall says there is no need to TIVO when the 'fibers' reach larger audiences (Google, AT&T fiber). They have customer support. TIVO is poorer than COMCAST when they were the perceived WORST in customer support.

Today is December 20, 2016. My husband and I have been dealing with Tivo over a malfunctioning Roamio DVR since December 2nd, and we are not done yet. We had one Tivo start making a very loud buzzing sound and it quit sending sound. After some difficult discussions with Tivo, they agreed to send us a refurbished replacement if we gave them $217 deposit, which they would return when they received the broken one. That is when the nightmare began. The replacement was defective and would not send picture to the television. They said it was a cable card problem and we needed Time Warner to deal with it. We went through the start up and attempted to pair several times, on the phone with both Tivo and with Spectrum. Spectrum sent out a technician. We tried another cable card. Still wouldn't work. Technician said it was the Tivo and left. I called Tivo and they still refused to believe it was their machine.

To make a long story short, I spent every day from the 15th through yesterday working on this. Tivo made Spectrum come out and try a total of 6 cable cards before they would admit that the refurb was "DOA" (their term). Supervisor said they would send another immediately and would not require another deposit. This morning we got an email saying that the replacement would be sent AFTER they received the refurb and we would receive it 7-10 days later. NOT the agreement that we had made after 6 solid days on the phone with them - not exaggerating. I have never wasted so much time with such horrendous customer service.

So I have spent another 2 hours on the phone with Tivo this morning. They say the same thing they told me on Sunday - they will send another asap and not wait for the return of the refurb. We'll see. We are saving about $12.50/month by using Tivo instead of the Spectrum DVR. We have two Tivos. When we get the next refurb, if it works, I plan to sell it on eBay and pay the extra money to my cable company. When the other Tivo breaks, we will switch that to a Spectrum unit as well. I never want to spend more than a week of my life talking to one customer service agent after another, repeating the same information over and over and over, ad nauseam.

I was attempting to use the Tivo on-screen setup features to enable my Tivo remote to switch between data sources (TV, Roku, Tivo, Blu-ray, etc...). The on-screen instructions were not working, so I first called Tivo's technical support line. The rep did not understand in the least what the issues were, she kept telling me Tivo would not replace my remote based upon this issue. I told her I did not want my remote replaced, I was trying to just make the remote do something their on-screen instructions said it could do.

Since I was unable to get any technical assistance, I then attempted to use Tivo's chat technical support feature. The rep did understand what my problem was, so he sent me an online link to try, instead of my continuing to try using the on-screen instructions. Unfortunately, the online link instructions did not work. The problem got worse, as the online instructions actually forced my tv to power down. I was unable to power it back on. Neither the Tivo nor the TV remotes worked on it. The power button also did not work. I powered the Tivo off, only then would my TV power back on. Neither remote works on it, though, so it is stuck in the "greetings" screen waiting for me to tell it which source of input I want.

I asked to be put through to a higher level of support, at first the Tivo rep said I would get no different answer. Later he told me he was unable to put me through to a higher level support or a manager. He told me the problem was with the tv manufacturer, not Tivo, even though I reminded him that the tv worked until I followed his instructions. He was completely unhelpful.

Who's the Idiot at TiVo who decided to make the selected TiVo Menu entries (like in My Shows) BRIGHT YELLOW?!! Trying to Read the Contents of the entry in a Dark Room (like from Bed at Night) is Impossible!!! I tried to tell TiVo about it right after they did their release and they didn't want to hear About It! (They were ONLY INTERESTED IN HEARING POSITIVE FEEDBACK!) Question: Who's in charge of Quality Control at TiVo? Answer: No One!

I informed TIVO that my channel line up was wrong and that I was missing channels on Sept. 22, 2016. Today is 11/20/16 and I still have the same problem. They said the issue takes 5 - 7 days to correct. I paid for a lifetime subscription so this is costing them nothing. I am considering changing to my cable companies DVR service but It would cost me a monthly fee, so I am still patiently waiting.

My parents encouraged me to start a Tivo trial account as the rest of the family enjoyed it. So I did and tried to terminate it before the one month trial. The individual that was suppose to terminate it never did. Thus I was now stuck with a contract I did not agree to. After the second payment to a device I didn't have I decided to call and harass them. They gave me cold shoulder over trying to cancel an account I never created against my will. I did not care for Tivo as it kept recording things I didn't tell it to record. It kept signing up for season passes I didn't tell it to and so on. It kept filling up the hard drive with junk I didn't even watch.

With streaming becoming popular; I decided to do away with Tivo and obtain cheaper sources. After three months of pressuring Tivo to cancel my illegal contract; I put my foot down to cancel it. They lightly sassed me about the issue. I never again will do Tivo as they are not honest about their services. I have had other family members cancel their service only to find out that Tivo never canceled it. Apparently going to their website and selecting cancel/remove service does not terminate the contract.

My Tivo Bolt stopped working after a thunderstorm so I contacted their support thru a live chat session. After doing some troubleshooting the support person tells me that the unit will have to be replaced at full cost. No offer to have a service center look at it, just declared dead during a chat session. No other device on the surge suppressor failed, just the Tivo Bolt. If this is level of quality of product that Tivo is offering then I have wasted my money.

Purchased unit 10/10/16, could not initialize it with my service provider. Called, on hold 30 minutes, was told that this is an ongoing problem that TiVo has been working on for "a few weeks." I asked if they had a solution, they did not. Canceled service, returned unit - waste of my time. Note: I live in a populated area, not the boondocks. I have had other TiVo units in the past with no issue. This is a NEW problem due to their OLD technology!

I am extremely disappointed with our tivo catch up, and on demand. Very often we either can not access our service or halfway through it cuts out. At the moment my wife has just finished her shift, waited an hour so our on demand could give us Victoria on our on demand only to find out that once again it was not available. We did an online check, and apparently we can not access it until the 5th of October. We have had problems like this since we had it. We are really tempted to get rid of it. Anyone thinking of a similar box with which to access your "favourite programs anytime" go to sky, plus we can not get our tv anywhere, and have had someone who is a technician to try and sort it for us, even he couldn't.

Somehow TiVo has acquired this image of a high quality company. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Let's start with basic customer service. When are you most likely to have trouble with your TiVo? When you are watching TV, right? So when do most people watch TV? Evening and weekends. So TiVo shuts down customer service at 6:00 PM on weekdays, and 5:00 PM on weekends. And if you happen to be on the phone with an agent at 5:45 or so, they will just put you on hold and go away. You are totally screwed and have to call back the next day. That happened to me at least 3 times, even when I called at 5:00.

I had a particular issue with the pause button not pausing under certain circumstances. First they said it was a bug that was fixed in a new version. Then it was that my unit must have been defective and they sent me a refurbished one (with a big gouge in the case), which also had the same problem. Then they said it was a bug and opened a report. And when I inquired about that a few months later they said it was an enhancement. To make the Pause button always pause is an enhancement?? As I write this I am on hold with TiVo - the voice said the wait time would be 2 minutes. It is now 35 minutes and counting. It seems as though every time I ask or need something from TiVo I come away disappointed and/or pissed. Satellite TV, here I come.

I am so over TIVO and their lack of technical and customer support. DO NOT BUY TIVO. I've been a customer for over 10 years and have had no problems until they joined with another co... and we have had nothing but problems and have not had a good line up for nearly 2 weeks. I have called and called and called and am on hold for 21 minutes as I write this and they said it would be about 5 minutes before they would answer. And I will pitch a hissy fit if I don't get a refund for this month's service... It's been 23 minutes now...

TiVo experience as described by TiVo is truly a wonderful world of TV viewing and recording. The easy to use and quite elegant interface is simple and intuitive and has the ability to satisfy an entire family. IN REALITY: My TiVo hardware and software were bound to fail individually and together. I've just been through two weeks of my TiVo Roamio and TiVo Minis refusing to tune TV or function as advertised. They would intermittently fail leaving me to call and spend literally hours day after day on the phone with often rude techs that put you on hold, disconnect you and fail to call back after promises to do so. I've been promised that my problem would be escalated to higher level techs on numerous occasions however I've never been transferred to escalated tech support and they eventually blamed Comcast as the problem source citing a probable weak signal.

I called for a Comcast visit at my expense and was shown the meter readings that resulted in a good quality cable signal registering 90% on the TiVo equipment that wasn't functioning. It is hard to believe that you need a signal of higher than 90% percent for their equipment to work as advertised. When I called TiVo back the called was answered with "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume and your wait will be approximately 20 minutes." My phone displays the call time and they didn't answer for 1 hour and 5 minutes. I can't help but wonder how many people are going through the exact same disappointment to cause an hour wait for tech support. After re-explaining my problem for 15th time he had me go through his troubleshooting script and eventually agreed that perhaps the Roamio was defective. I requested a replacement for my lifetime subscription Roamio that was approximately 6 months old.

The representative advised me that I would have to pay a $50.00 replacement fee. These people owe me a lot of money for the amount of my time that they wasted by making me run through their troubleshooting script over and over with no results. Eventually they relented and agreed to send me a replacement as long as I paid for it with my Credit Card with the promise to refund upon receipt of my unit. It looks like I'm going to go another week without TV because of TiVo's inability and lack of motivation to solve TiVo problems promptly and their inability provide real tech support. You are in for a world of disappointment and aggravation if you make the decision to use TiVo service and equipment. It is truly a business that cares little other than to promote and sell equipment and service that will fail sooner than later. I've used a TiVo Premiere for years with no problems.

When I upgraded to the Roamio and TiVo Mini my TiVo troubles came fast and furious with no viable TiVo support. Their operating system updates eventually cripple your units and leave you hanging in TV limbo for days causing you to invest hours talking to techs in the Philippines who actually have no idea why your units are not functioning or how to restore them. Do not buy a TiVo Roamio, TiVo Bolt or a TiVo Mini. They only work in their glossy brochures or on their websites. I wish 0 stars was an option as TiVo deserves it for their contempt for their subscribers.

Just too much trouble. Constantly no or limited service. Customer service not available. Cancelled today and will probably have to go to court, small claims, to get my money for the box back.

Buyer beware! This could happen to you. I purchased two Tivos one in 2009 and one in 2010 each costing over $300 with service plans of $129 per year per unit to replace cable DVRs supplied by my Cable company. The performance of the Tivos did not meet my expectations - failing to operate properly and having to be rebooted often. Because of this and my cable provider's problems led me to consider going to DirecTV. When I complained to Tivo before installing DirecTV they told me to buy new Tivo boxes at list prices to continue service. After spending all the money I invested in their products and services over 5-6 years, I thought they no longer deserved my business so I made the change to DirecTV since Tivo exhibited a lack of consideration and very poor empathy for their existing loyal customers.

Additionally, about 50 programs recorded on one of the Tivos cannot be accessed and watched, something they said I would be able to do after dropping their service. I lost my ability to view some of my favorite shows. Now I find out that they have discontinued providing their programming services for these devices all together so I cannot even sell the units, in good conscience, to anyone since they would not be able to get them provisioned by Tivo. I'm very happy now with my DirecTV and would not recommend Tivo to anyone!

TiVo totally blew its latest software upgrade. I lost all my settings on all three Tivo's I had. There was no notice that basic settings would be impacted, just some service interruptions. I have worked for hours and have only brought one TiVo back to the same level it was before. My shows won't record since all the info is gone. Restarting and connecting to the TiVo service even with multiple times on this time consuming process did not work. This is totally unacceptable! TiVo just not care about its customers even though we pay a premium price. Impossible to get thru to an actual person to help you. So sorry I signed lifetime contracts with this company!

As more people "cut the cord" with traditional cable providers, this is the only "Over The Air" (OTA) tuner worth a darn. Not to say there is much competition, but what is out there is seriously flawed. Specifically the ability to connect seamlessly with modern 4k TVs out of the box and most importantly have the ability to display the picture in the correct aspect ratio. The TiVo Bolt does this flawlessly. The only cons I've encountered are poorly trained technical advisors at TiVo. Drawing on a completely outdated business model, the crew struggles embarrassingly when it comes to answering questions about "Over The Air" TiVo set up. At times the techs redefine the expression "on the job training".

Lastly, the program guide, which you will be paying dearly for after your one-year freebie evaporates, in some respects, is not as good as the guide that is displayed with the TV's stock OTA tuner! Specifically the ability to display "Justice", "Comet", "Grit", "Decades" and so on. What you will have is the generic station identification displayed with no way to edit. I'm hoping that as soon as TiVo figures out who is buying their product and why, someone will get off the pipe and on the ball!

The system actually deletes shows chosen by the viewer with an UNWORKABLE VERTICAL/HORIZONTAL SYSTEM that at best confuses anyone trying to operate it & quite often cancels programs which the client states NOT TO DELETE UNTIL I CHOOSE. The box is ALWAYS being blamed yet when changed it continues as usual. According one of the top engineers at VIRGIN MEDIA maintains that it is unworkable & that every customer he meets makes the complaint about it as I have myself asserted. Until THE TiVo management & their so-called engineers HARKEN unto the practical experiences of those that have to handle it there will be NO improvement & the monthly rises in tariff will NEVER be justified.

Last year moved into a new area with Comcast and was told that my TiVo would be compatible. After trying multiple cable cards and working with various technicians on both ends, we decided it wasn't going to work. I decided to use a Comcast DVR but found it lacking in comparison and really wanted to go back to TiVo.

TiVo support told me that the newer units - like the BOLT would be easier setup and more likely to work. I ordered the BOLT but basically had the same problem. I finally cancelled my TiVo service and sent back the BOLT with a letter stating I wanted a refund. Instead they shipped me out a new unit, then told me I couldn't get a refund until I sent that one back. Finally got the new one and sent it back and now have to wait up to two weeks to get refund.

Very unhappy with customer support because I feel they misrepresented the TiVo's ability to be compatible with Comcast and they didn't cancel my service when they said they were going to and that they are taking so long to credit my account after the return. I've been told by numerous technicians that cable card technology is very old and not reliable so not sure why TiVo doesn't find another way. I did just get the new Comcast X1 DVR and love it. It's very like TIVO except can't watch Netflix and Amazon on it. TiVo needs to upgrade their technology and their customer service.

I was using an antenna with a TiVo DVR but decided to go with cable TV and their DVR. So I called and cancelled the TiVo service. The representative said he would hold the service open two months in case I sold the TiVo unit and that person wanted to take advantage of a one-time fee. It was my understanding they would cancel the service after that. Luckily my credit card was changed shortly afterward. I then got a bill from TiVo for $14.99.

I called and told them I had cancelled but they told me the service had just been put on hold. I protested and soon got a run from a Collection agency. I sent them a check with an angry letter demanding my money back. Their representative was just downright rude. They stole 14.99 from me but made an enemy for life. I can't believe they have become this kind of company. They won't last much longer.

Box came, didn't want & couldn't install. No help. Canceled 12/15. Told bill ended 2/16, but continues. 4/16, Lania: "A year contract!" What? "In small print. To cancel, $75." On hold, no return. Later Diego, same. Unethical & fraudulent.

Our first time ever being sent to a collection agency, and it was due to our credit card on account expiring. Had they sent us a bill in the mail for the $12.95 it would have been paid, or even a phone call to inform us of the expiring credit card would have worked. We simply did not know that we owed the money. They said that they sent us emails informing us of the expiring credit card, but I'm afraid my 73 year old husband checks his emails about once every couple of months. Not everyone is attached to their computer screen. Especially retired people. We cancelled our TiVo account today and it turns out Comcast had a better offer for better equipment anyway. Unfortunately for TiVo, we never would have even checked into Comcast had TiVo not had such a poor business practice.

I bought a TiVo 500MB DVR which is also offered in a 1000MB model. I chose the smaller version because they touted its expandability via an expansion drive. It turns out the only drive they support is a Western Digital 1TB drive which hasn't been manufactured for several years and is no longer available. This is outright fraud. They also don't make it clear you have to permanently connect your BOLT to a hardwired network connection in order to use the MoCA network option to use the Minis. Virtually no older home in the US has network drops in any rooms. This is the most deceptive company I have ever dealt with. I assume because their technology is now very old and they haven't kept up. You don't want to buy their products. I can't return mine because the cable company took longer than 30 days to install service and provide me a cable card for the BOLT.

At one time, TiVo was a state of the art company. Now, they are no longer a worthwhile company, and their billing practices are at best unethical, and, at worst, borderline fraudulent. I canceled my service a few months ago, because they no longer provide a product that meets my needs. I had to argue with a service representative for fifteen minutes, before they would allow me to cancel. After he agreed to cancel my account, I found that my account was not cancelled, and I continued to get billed, until fortunately, my credit card expired, at which point they mailed me a final bill. I would recommend that people stay away from this company.

Love my TiVo but I hate what they've become. They used to be better, but their customer service has tanked. Smug, condescending, flat out rude. This isn't just one bad apple either. This is the norm based on the many, many times I've had to call for a single issue that is still not resolved. I am a call center general manager. I know customer service. What they're doing is embarrassing. Either the management doesn't care or the execs are only interested in the numbers. Either way, I cannot recommend TiVo any longer. Not when I can get a comparable product directly from the cable company. Given that level of competition you'd think they would try to be better than the other guys, to set themselves apart. Sadly, it looks like with Comcast's deplorable reputation for customer service, TiVo must feel like they don't have to try. It shows.

TiVo Company Profile