2. Travel
  3. Amusement Parks

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

Six Flags America Reviews

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

The prices are high enough. Everyone needs transportation to get there so it is not right to charge for parking, let alone such high rates. It's obvious that food is not permitted inside the park because they want you to support the vendors however for those of us with food allergies it is not practical to have to leave our own food supply in the lockers outside the park. The rides are very much fun, you need to use your own judgement as to whether it is for you or not. I have not felt safe on many of the rides and would not repeat them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I loved Six Flags. It's great for kids. Has a variety or rides and entertainment for whole family. Concessions stand with good food, family friendly atmosphere. The safari is amazing and waterpark also. I would recommend this for families, couples etc.. I love how they go all out for Halloween especially with the zombies and spooky acts. My kids love it. I don't mind the ride to the park. I live 2 hours away.

Get buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Fast rides and thrills unlimited. Six Flags over GA has rides for all ages. An entire section is dedicated to kid rides. Don’t like rides, there are shows too! The workers are friendly and the park is clean. Food is expensive, but no higher than other entertainment venues. Price of tickets are reasonable if you can find a coupon or get an annual pass. Only downfall is when crowded, you won’t be able to ride as many rides due to time standing in line.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Six Flags in Gurnee,IL, is easily accessible off a major highway about 30-40 minutes north of Chicago. Six Flags has many great rides for older kids and adults. The roller coasters and especially "Superman" are fantastic, but be prepared to wait unless you get a fast pass. You can have your pick of good food.and drink. There could be more rides for kids in the 2-6 age range. Parking and tickets can be pricey, so look for deals.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I have always found 6 flags parks to be clean and well run. It doesn't matter which park (I travel for a living and am often near an amusement park, that I just can't pass up. It fills an evening with some fun and other humans for companionship) but I do find the 6 flag parks to be as notch or 2 better than the others. They offer a consistency of product that the other brands do not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Six Flags America?

Original review: March 26, 2020

I got their membership for 12 months. They auto renewed my membership without my confirmation. It was only few months after I noticed that they are still charging my credit card. When asked they give long fine print, saying, "You agreed to auto renewal." The way they have planned their policy around this is a big scam and everyone should be aware of this. Do not take their membership even if it is discounted... At the end you would most likely end up paying more than regular visit would cost.

Original review: March 14, 2020

BUYER BEWARE - Six Flags forces you to end your membership like 45 days before the actual end date, otherwise they charge you for another month. When you go to cancel they might offer you a lower price for another year. They DO NOT disclose before you sign the new contract that your existing contract will be terminated immediately - and you get robbed of your 3-free months. When I called to get the new date changed to coincide with my current membership end date (+ 3-free months) Only Then was I informed my current contract is terminated now (4.5 months early) and the new contract cannot be changed to begin when my current contract ends.

This robbed my family of our free time we got through our current membership. It feels like the classic BAIT AND SWITCH. Finding out After how it really works to cheat my family out of our free months is likely not even a legal practice, so I would anticipate a lawsuit at some point. It is a disgusting practice from an organization that brought me a lot of joy as a kid. I spent hours trying to resolve this but they won’t make good on what you bought previously. Having the contract dates not go consecutive (like almost everyone else's does), even throws off the calendar dates I selected for the membership to end, so it would cross over 2 summers, but this surprise made the new term end in winter.

Even the Six Flags help desk (Cassandra in DFW) admitted I only get notified of this current membership immediate cancellation only AFTER I sign up (not legal I'd bet). They admitted 6-flags is unique in this way since most organizations start the next term when the current term ends. I read a lot of contracts so these surprises shocked me. Surprised to find out after that our current contract ends immediately. Surprised we got robbed of our 3-free months. Surprised they would not agree to start the new contract on the end date of the current one. Surprised their help desk seemed to care less about the lack of clarity and our losses.

BAD way to do business. And then they cancel spring break due to the Covid19, but do not offer next year’s spring break in exchange, just added days to the end of our contract, which are useless days in January (winter). I also agree with the other reviews, they charge way too much for parking and park food and stuff, making us feel bad about the visit and having to tell our kids no all day long about buying food and stuff. Six Flags is not what it used to be. Feeling like getting our pocket picked throughout the day. CHANGE YOUR PRACTICES! Hope they do!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

Six Flags White Water & Six Flags over GA park are con artists. Promised to be treated with premium service as a Gold member - kids run the parks & could less - 4 kids on flash pass playing with customers waiting while 1 girl did the work for 5. Then on the Tornado my girlfriend & I were racially discriminated against. We stood by for over 10 minutes after the armband going off getting held back in line while all the other NON pass people went ahead. It was so obviously racist we were floored. We left & went to member services where we were told it would be cancelled & handled. We couldn’t find 1 - just 1 adult supervisor in June at the water park. We trusted membership services to tell us the truth then months later I get a bill trying to collect $600 when we weren’t even there 2 hours. Six flags personnel do not even sound awake on the phone & could care less. Very RUDE & smart-aleck tones & statements. I will fight this as far as it will go.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I went into a shop at the NJ site to buy a souvenir cup. When the store employee rang up the cup, it came up $5 more than was priced on the bottom of the cup. I did not notice at first, but my friend noticed. It was late and we were leaving and now had to stand there for another 10 mins waiting for the manager. I thought that they should give me a discount because of the inconvenience. No way! Several days later when I was going to use the cup, I noticed that the lid was broken. I contacted Six Flags by writing a letter.

They emailed me and told me that I needed a receipt for the cup in order to give me a new one. I did not keep the receipt as most people don't, however I thought because of the situation with the price inflation, the manager of the store would remember that I bought the cup. Also due to my letter, they had proof that I bought the cup because I let them know of my displeasure over the price issue. They are arrogant and rather lose a customer than replace a $20 cup. Be careful of their tactics because you are only a $1 to them!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

The wait times were extremely long... 2+ hours for each ride. In order to skip line you need to pay for a pass that at least $50-60 person.... too expensive. Need a system like Disney World where you can see the wait times for each ride and get time tickets for FREE and can schedule time to come back and ride... outdated processes.

Six Flags America author review by ConsumerAffairs

The first Six Flags park opened 55 years ago and has since expanded to include 18 amusement parks across North America, so there is likely a Six Flags relatively close to you. It is the largest regional amusement park company in the world, with more than 28 million visitors last year.

• Water parks: Most of the amusement parks are located near a Six Flags water park, so visitors can easily visit both attractions. Additionally, admission to several of the amusement parks includes admission to the water parks. These water parks have typical water features like wave pools, lazy rivers and children’s play areas. They also include thrilling attractions like Bonzai Pipelines where visitors stand in a launch capsule before being dropped down a near vertical water slide.

• THE FLASH Pass: Visitors who do not want to waste time waiting in line can purchase THE FLASH Pass, allowing them to skip a part of the line. Three THE FLASH Pass options are available: the Platinum Pass cuts visitors’ wait time by 90 percent and the Gold Pass reduces the wait time by 50 percent. The regular pass allows visitors to reserve a time to board the ride so they can skip the line. Season THE FLASH Passes are available for season pass holders.

• Season pass perks: Six Flags season pass holders receive benefits not available to individuals who purchase a single day ticket, including in-park discounts, invitations to special events and free extra tickets on selected days. Additionally, a season pass at one Six Flags amusement park is valid at all of them, so guests can visit as many parks as they want for one price. Season passes cost less than two single-day tickets, making them a good value for anyone who lives close enough to a Six Flags to visit more than once during the year.

• Roller Coasters: Thrill seekers will find amazing roller coasters at all of the Six Flags parks. The tallest and fastest roller coaster in North America is at Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari in Jackson, New Jersey, launching riders nearly 500 feet high at 128 miles per hour. Beginning in Summer 2016, Six Flags will partner with Samsung to offer a unique experience by combining a traditional roller coaster ride with virtual reality technology.

• Animal Encounters: Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in San Francisco both have attractions that allow guests to interact with exotic animals. In both parks, guests see elephants, tigers, giraffes and lions. At Discovery Kingdom, visitors can also swim with dolphins.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team