2.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

165 Six Flags America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I don't know how you can advertise a company that this happens at. People should not patronize Six Flags. I already sent this complaint to them and with no response I said I would sent out to others. I don't know how you can advertise a company that this happens at. People should not patronize. Totally disgusted with Magic Mountain attended on December 30, 2019 Sunday. I am a senior citizen and saved for quite a while to be able to send my three teen grandchildren to Six Flags in California only to find out it turned out to be the worst day ever. Got there at 10:00 am. Left at 6:00 pm only because the ride times were outrageous. They were only able to get on one ride in all that time. Lines everywhere were extremely ridiculous. 2 to 5 hour wait per ride. Waited for one hour and a half and still only halfway through the line only to find out that the ride was broken down.

Restroom lines were over 30 minute waits. Food lines over an hour just to place an order. Parking lots were to capacity and yet the park was still letting people in. How do you expect to make a good name for this park when it's impossible to enjoy yourself. There has to be a better way to run their rides and lines or limit capacity. I feel I am due justice and so do so many others. But I am writing this complaint against Magic Mountain and plan to take this complaint further if I have to. This capacity could have dangered so many should there have been a fire or earthquake. Let's see now.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My daughter loves roller coasters so we purchased a pass to Magic Mountain with the thought "If you go more than 1 time it is worth the money". No, No No!!! Her 2nd visit, the park was oversold; 2-hour lines, rides closed (as with any park) however her and a friend were being harassed by a group of males and there was no security. Additionally, groups were blatantly cutting, exiting, relayed. It was disgusting and they were unable to purchase food (2 hrs). What? "Mom, there were no employees anywhere; is that safe?" They closed Magic Mountain Parkway so she had to walk from the park almost to the freeway as we sat in dead stop traffic for 1hr after the 30 minutes from LA. When she reached the car she blurted out "Mom, I'm done, I don't want to go back to that park".

Cancel a Membership? Good Luck with that! You need your original email (save it); google "how to cancel". Can click the link from there as it will save time. I finally get it and after going thru the many prompts I selected CANCEL only to have {Server Error in '/membership} pop up. I selected the "Chat" option and she did take care of it. She Replies, "You will be charged for next month as it takes 45 days to cancel check you membership agreement".

"Did it state that the park was unsafe in the user agreement?" I ask. "We're in Texas. You may want to call the park" she says. "Been there," I Type. "Should you call the park, your options are 1 Magic Mountain Information, 2- Hurricane Harbor and 3 Human resources. There isn't an option to speak with a representative," I type. "Email" she responds. "I emailed the evening I returned from the park, as my teen was afraid;" no response. "I'll take note of the complaint," she tells me. "You do that". End. My Advice: If your teen would like to visit the park, do not let them go unaccompanied; it is just not safe! I would choose Knotts Berry Farm, Disney or Universal as they have good reputations for a reason; regardless of the crowds or lines or other issues, they have great security and will always respond to a guest comment.

Get expert buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I just recently discovered that the annual membership I canceled in 2016 (and received a cancellation email confirmation for) was somehow not really canceled. Although I have changed my debit card at least twice since then, and have never provided them with my updated card info, they have been charging me anyway. Even after I emailed them and have been exchanging correspondence disputing these charges, they charged me again. Never signed anything, never received anything (like new membership cards) and have never spoken to anyone about authorizing payment for anything. Guess I’ll be seeking the services of a lawyer. DO NOT TRUST this company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been a member holder for about 1 year and 4 months. I been trying to get out of this deal for a long time with no avail nor help from Six Flags. They say it's easy to cancel online and you can only do it online. But when I try it says it can't cancel that I have to call this number they provide but no one answers it so I think it's a scam. I been paying for a membership I don't even use with no way of getting assistance to get out of it. So if you decide to get a membership please beware of these shenanigans!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

So when I came to Six Flags I was told I had free or preferred parking up in the front with my diamond membership but they told me that I couldn't park because I didn't have some kind of paper ignorer to park in the front.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Six Flags America?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I bought a membership to Six Flags, ignoring the red flags, and sure enough, got burned. One of the benefits of the membership is some days when you can bring a friend for free. They will not tell you when those days are or how many of them there are until after you purchase the membership, and you cannot cancel the membership. I bought it anyway, thinking Six Flags was reputable and would not scam me. I'm not sure why I thought that. It turns out that, "Oh, we're sorry, there are no free friends days for the rest of the season." I spoke to a customer service person, who basically said, "Sorry, too bad for you." Definitely caveat emptor.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We bought a season pass more than one year ago and now that we want to cancel it has been impossible! We are really frustrated with their service and I’ve seen other complaints about the same issue we are having! In their website they say that they will send an email and we never get that email!!! Please, we would like an answer about WHEN we will have our membership canceled!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I bought my kids a Season pass for Christmas 2017, and paid the monthly charges versus the one-time upfront costs. Both were the same, so I thought. I was roped into an offer that allowed me to attend the 2017 holiday in the park, and the 2018 Holiday in the park even though my membership was good from 11/28 to 10/28/2018. After that it would be month to month. I didn't realize this, so I went ahead to pay my 11/28 bill and contact support to cancel, knowing I had just paid for a month I didn't require since I was already able to go to the park in December due to the offer.

When I chatted in the rep told me that isn't true, and that I would have to pay for December too because they have a 45 day/15 day cancellation policy. I told her that it was 48 days until the December payment would be due because I chatted in on 11/16. She said, "That doesn't matter. Your November payment is due in less than 15 days, so you are responsible for November and December?" I was livid because I am now paying two payments which I will get nothing for at all. I didn't feel like fighting about it, so I canceled. I won't ever go to Six Flags again; not one penny will they get from me. If someone gives me a free ticket, I won't go.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The park is dirty. The kids are not trained to help appropriately. No one knew where anything was. The food was disgusting. Bathroom dirty, messy, smelled like urine and just gross. The worst part was that the membership I subscribed to renewed after 12 months. You cannot cancel unless you give 60 days notice. Therefore, it's not a 12-month membership, it's a 14-month membership. And if you try to cancel by deleting your CC or PayPal account, they will badger you with emails and threats to add more $$ fees onto what you owe them. ON top of THAT, you have to pay $10 to cancel the membership.

The membership has perks, like free parking. However, I accidentally put my son's name on the membership card (he's underage) and my name on a season pass card. The membership is non-transferable. Therefore, I could not use his card the following year. I had buy a new pass or ticket for myself if I wanted to go alone. I also had a woman hang up a chat with me because I was upset. I was hung up on by automatic response bots when I called. I was told I had to cancel online, but that I could not cancel until I paid the last month's fee. This is such a god-awful scam. They make millions off people like me. Please avoid if possible. At least, do not buy a membership. It's an agreement you cannot back out of easily.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Six Flags conned me into a never-ending meal pass fee! I paid for a season pass I thought would save me money. It was $99. Months later I am being charged $11.72 a month for meals, so I cancelled my bank card & now Six Flags is sending me to collections!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have a membership with Six Flags America. Fright Fest the lines are long and security cannot keep up rework the people that cut the lines that go to the mazes. A remedy for this needs to be looked into. Other people waiting in line gets upset and arguing ensues. Six Flags really needs to think security through for the mazes and those that like to cut lines. I am a Six Flags fan other than the issues with the mazes.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA Is my very SO CA Amusement Park. Knott's and Disneyland are fun too But Magic Mountain is much better for adults! The rides are bigger and more fun and the variety is unlimited. There is a lot more included for the price of admission as well...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Too expensive to enjoy without really considering what you can afford. Even a soft drink is not affordable to the average family. Not fun to have to tell the kids no. Everything is so pricey and it's not fun. Kid's are unhappy, which makes me unhappy.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Horrible customer relations department. All employees including supervisors are young and inexperienced and don’t know how to handle situations. Awful in all aspects except for the actual rides.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Great value with season pass, but 1 hour waits for rides. Glad we went - close to home and convenient. Wished there were shows or parades or some indoor seated events to rest and recover.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I took my kids to Six Flags with a group of friends. There were about 20 in our group. Everyone enjoyed themselves. However, I do think it costs too much. Last year, I bought 4 season passes but we never went. Unfortunately, Six Flags would not give us a discount on the tickets we purchased at the park in July.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The park is fun but if it is too busy then you can’t do anything. A drink bottle is a must and is expensive. Almost 20 dollars but free refills is worth it. We try to go at no busy times to get the most out of the park in one day. It also pays to be a member especially if you visit more than a couple times of year because of the discount you get. The food is mediocre at best and way overpriced but you have to deal with this when you want to go to an amusement park. Overall it is fun but be prepared and plan your trip carefully to get the most for your money.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I felt very happy had so much fun. My kids had a great time. The food was great. The people are nice so it was a great day. The drinks and the ice cream were good.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I enjoyed the freefall balloon ride and skyline across park. I had a good time. I found these not sickening and nice rides. I don't like to be turned upside down so like these.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We visited with 2 small children & took advantage of all the amenities. Everything was clean, well marked, fun. The children (1G, 1B) enjoyed the heck out it!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I spent four (4) days at the park and did so much and had a lot of Fun! For example: I went on the Skyway Frontier Adventures Ride and saw the whole park on that ride back on Friday, August 10, 2018. It was absolutely so beautiful! You can see the Lake, all of the rides, including the Tallest Rollercoaster in the World and much, much more from that ride mentioned above. In Addition: I actually spent several days at Six Flags which went from Friday, August 10, 2018 up to Sunday, August 12, 2018.

Six Flags definitely has so much to do besides the rides such as their shows which include their Daffy Duck Dance Off, their Safari Ride, their Games to test your luck, along with many Restaurants, Ice Cream and Desert Shops and Local Souvenir Shops. One of their Most Famous Rides is called "Kingda Ka" since it is known to be the Tallest Rollercoaster In The World and Yes, I Rode It! I really had a great time during my four (4) days out there and you will too! Do come and visit! Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Magic mountain is the park where the "vacation" movie was filmed... as it substituted for "wally world". It’s right next to the desert and can get hot as hell... that, and the stomach churning rides put one of my kids in the infirmary for most of the afternoon!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Great overall experience. Lines were not too bad when we visited. It is my experience that the longer the lines are, the worse of a time you are going to have.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

The route in walking from the camp ground was not clearly marked with the "road" or wide path being only an inch lower than the walk way. I stepped wrong and hurt my ankle. It was horrid getting to the medical center and they said it was a sprain and "wrapped" it telling me to try to stay off of it. We had to go all the way back to the main gate to get a "wheel chair" and had to pay to rent it. They didn't even provide an aspirin for pain. We were there for three days and had to rent the chair every day. The fact a storm came in wiping out of all the electricity in the park and campgrounds was definitely not their fault but having no emergency lighting made it difficult to get back to the campground. The fact the tents were all down and several trailers blown over was not their fault either, but they didn't offer refunds on tickets or replacement tickets for other days.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Six Flags in Missouri, the staff was rude and would not help with questions & acted like they just wanted us to go away! And in Texas they were a little bit better but not much.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Went for my daughter’s bday yesterday and it was NOT FUN. They sell way WAY too many tickets so it is impossible to get on any of the rides. The girls ended up on the same one ride all day to avoid waiting for hours in line. Spent $190 on a Cabana that was supposed to expedite the food service. The kid that took our order forgot about it and after waiting with hungry tired hot kids in a smelly hot cabana for 45 minutes they finally admitted he had forgotten and then once it was reordered it went to the wrong tent. WTF. Very expensive. Waste of money. If the kids had even had a good time but honestly I am not sure they really did. Will not return.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

You pay to get all the pictures you want but they only have cameras on a few rides and are broken most of the time. The characters only come out one or two at a time. Probably the same two people. I had to grab porky the pig after he took a piss in the stall next to me for a picture and he said hold on for 8 minutes after I finish my break and then popped off his head and smoked half a cigar that was in his pocket while sitting on the curb. After all this the tech staff could only find one picture of us. They don't want you to use cell phones so you are forced to use Picture Pass and it is a complete ripoff. Class Action lawsuit on the way.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Bought the annual membership even though I only ended going like 2 times. Tried canceling after the year, the form fails, tells you to contact them directly. They give you secret information you had to contact them for to cancel. Cancel the membership and still charged the following month for whatever the ** reason. Never ever buy any kind of membership from Six Flags unless you want to deal with this **.

Original review: July 5, 2018

The Six Flags at 13710 Central Ave, Bowie, MD 20721 is the worst business I have ever come across. Their outsourced technical support, overseas, provides more help than the actual people that work at the location. I don’t even know how this particular Six Flags is still in business. I don’t even know why they have a local number when no one at this location EVER provides any customer support worthwhile. When you call and someone does pick up the phone, you get hung up on. People, your phone is NOT disconnecting, they are actually hanging up on you. I had to file a complaint about this, two complaints, before customer service reached out to me. I threatened to contact the CEO before getting someone to talk to.

Next time I was hung up on 15 times, 15. I called the CEO this time and left him a voicemail. I guess the message was passed on to “Ms. Katrina” from the location to handle. Who had the nerve to tell me that I didn’t get hung up on. She finally investigated and found out what I was telling her is the truth. Ms. Katrina explained that “Whenever the main office closes, the calls are being routed to guest relations who usually just hangs up the phone.” I told her I find that HIGHLY unacceptable that employees are hanging up on paying customers. Professional businesses DO NOT do that. I worked a switchboard for many years and I didn’t DARE hang up on anyone. Completely unacceptable! I try hope this park gets their act together because you are going to lose a great deal of business treat customers this way.

Next issue is the handling of diamond elite parking. I reserved parking 2 weeks ahead of July 4th, first come first serve on the reservation portal, as I knew parking would be FULL. I get to the first entrance on July 4th and they were FULL. I explained that this is not possible. The attendant had no clue what she was talking about, another issue with this park. The customers appear to know more than the workers. I’ve combed over my membership with a fine toothed comb because the employees at this park are incompetent, very sorry to say so but it’s the truth. I finally got a manager who LIED and told me the lot wasn’t full and that the attendant meant to say the lot is full for patrons wanting to buy parking at the entrance.

The manager led me to the preferred parking entrance knowing there was a police officer at the preferred parking entrance. The officer was there turning people around. I explained to the officer that I had booked my parking TWO weeks in advance, and that it was completely unfair for the park to SELL off the parking or just let any elite member in who had booked after me. The officer completely understood and went out of his way to help. Allowed me to wait on the side until someone left. Kudos to the officer and not the park.

I will be writing a formal letter to the CEO at this location and to the corporate office in New York to the attention of the Six Flags CEO, Jim Reid-Anderson; Senior Vice President, U.S. Park Operations, Tom Iven; and, Senior Vice President, Bonnie Sherman Weber, In-Park Services, as this is unacceptable. The park needs to do better job managing parking, customer service, benefits and the way employees behave at the park (attitude stinks). I do feel like I’ve purchased elite membership. It’s called “elite” for a reason and that is why I purchased. Feels like false advertisement.

If you want to reach out to CEO to tell him EXACTLY how you feel about the disgusting customer service at the Six Flags at 13710 Central Ave, Bowie, MD 20721, or voice your concerns as I did, please feel free to do so by calling 301-249-1500 and Press 4 for the Directory and then “4,6,9” to reach Rick Howarth on the Directory and then “1” to get to his voicemail as the directory will find two people. The corporate office contact in New York is: Six Flags Corporate Offices 924 Avenue J East, Grand Prairie, Texas 75050, 230 Park Avenue, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10169. By the way, I am booking way in advance for Labor Day and Fright Fest, let's see what happens.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I am pass holder for Six Flags on payment plan. My bank was compromised so I had to get new card. The Six Flags payment portal will not let me update info. I drove 2 hours to go to the theme park and they can't fix it either. Have sent few emails. No response as well as park has emailed and nothing as of yet. And pass is deactivated. Trying to get this cleared up ASAP because I am going to get kids and bring them here to NJ to go to theme park...

Six Flags America expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The first Six Flags park opened 55 years ago and has since expanded to include 18 amusement parks across North America, so there is likely a Six Flags relatively close to you. It is the largest regional amusement park company in the world, with more than 28 million visitors last year.

• Water parks: Most of the amusement parks are located near a Six Flags water park, so visitors can easily visit both attractions. Additionally, admission to several of the amusement parks includes admission to the water parks. These water parks have typical water features like wave pools, lazy rivers and children’s play areas. They also include thrilling attractions like Bonzai Pipelines where visitors stand in a launch capsule before being dropped down a near vertical water slide.

• THE FLASH Pass: Visitors who do not want to waste time waiting in line can purchase THE FLASH Pass, allowing them to skip a part of the line. Three THE FLASH Pass options are available: the Platinum Pass cuts visitors’ wait time by 90 percent and the Gold Pass reduces the wait time by 50 percent. The regular pass allows visitors to reserve a time to board the ride so they can skip the line. Season THE FLASH Passes are available for season pass holders.

• Season pass perks: Six Flags season pass holders receive benefits not available to individuals who purchase a single day ticket, including in-park discounts, invitations to special events and free extra tickets on selected days. Additionally, a season pass at one Six Flags amusement park is valid at all of them, so guests can visit as many parks as they want for one price. Season passes cost less than two single-day tickets, making them a good value for anyone who lives close enough to a Six Flags to visit more than once during the year.

• Roller Coasters: Thrill seekers will find amazing roller coasters at all of the Six Flags parks. The tallest and fastest roller coaster in North America is at Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari in Jackson, New Jersey, launching riders nearly 500 feet high at 128 miles per hour. Beginning in Summer 2016, Six Flags will partner with Samsung to offer a unique experience by combining a traditional roller coaster ride with virtual reality technology.

• Animal Encounters: Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in San Francisco both have attractions that allow guests to interact with exotic animals. In both parks, guests see elephants, tigers, giraffes and lions. At Discovery Kingdom, visitors can also swim with dolphins.

• Best for: Six Flags offers attractions for families, solo travelers and young adults. Also, it’s great for people who plan to visit more than once or more than one location in a year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs