3.31/5

171 Six Flags America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

Six Flags charges a $9 processing fee when order season pass and membership online. This is disappointing since there is no human interaction that would justify the $9 fee. Six Flags get away with this because there is no way to avoid the $9 processing fee. Why stop at $9? Why not make it $25?

Original review: April 2, 2019

My husband bought the membership season pass for my 5 kids for a Christmas present. It was supposed to be 12 months, but they are still billing us PLUS late fees months later with no way to cancel on the website. Every time we tried to cancel we get an error message. And no phone number. We finally got an email with a phone number. When we called, there was a message saying the system was down and to use a chat service on the site And suddenly there was a chat service. They refused to cancel until we pay "what we owe" Even though we only wanted a 12 month and paid all 12 months. The person who handled the chat service (it said she was a supervisor) ended the chat with us abruptly with no warning and no solution and no cancellation, except to say if we didn't pay it would be sent to collections. DO NOT GET BURNED like we did. DO NOT get the 12 month season pass.

Get expert buying tips about Amusement Parks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Awesome rides but when we bought our flash passes I was a little surprised they only gave us one wristwatch. It was $250 for the five us so it wasn't cheap. The line wait was almost non existent with our wristwatch pass but it soon became apparent that the three 12 year old kids we brought were too scared to get on the best rides the park has to offer so we went back to the flash pass office to get a wrist watch for the kids. They wouldn't give us one even after I spoke with a manager. So we just gave the pass to the kids and my wife and I walked around for the next 4 hours. Maybe there is a good reason they wouldn't give us separate passes but I can't imagine one.

We spent $664 on season passes and flash passes and my wife and I only got to ride a few of the best rollercoasters. They really should've given us the option to have at least two flash passes since we paid for them. I kept a good attitude but it was a super ** thing Six Flags did to us. We bought 5 passes but they only gave us one and never offered us more so I thought it was just one watch per group. I feel cheated. You did not render services that were paid for so you essentially robbed me. ** you Six Flags.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

We bought a membership in 2017, and we are trying to cancel since the membership completed one year. They say it's easy to cancel online and you can only do it online. But when I try it says it can't cancel that I have to call this number they provide but no one answers it so I think it's a scam. I been paying for a membership I don't even use with no way of getting assistance to get out of it. DO NOT TRUST IN THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I ordered a Six Flags membership on Feb 11, 2018 for my 7 family members. I originally ordered for Six Flags Over Texas since my family would be going to that park first (per instructions on the website). In April 2018, I called customer service and asked if I could switch my membership to Six Flags Fiesta Texas since it was closer. The memberships would work at any park, but my thinking was I'd get any promos for the park I'd be going to more. I specifically asked if it would reset my membership start date, and was told "No." I just had to order the membership for the new park and call back to cancel the one for the old one.

On April 7 I did so. It's now February 2019, and I'd like to cancel my membership (because the customer service has not been good and the park has been disappointing, but that's a different matter). I've contacted customer service repeatedly, including via their website https://feedback.sixflags.com/membersupport and via phone to: 817-607-6105. I've been told that I was mis-informed and that my membership cannot be cancelled until April. It is unacceptable to deceive a customer verbally and then lock them into a contract. The two monthly payments between now and April will total $97.86. I've cancelled my credit card, filed a BBB complaint, and told them I'm not paying. The rep even said "I tried but Fiesta Texas wouldn't allow it." What a mess. Don't do business with these liars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Six Flags America?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Purchased 6 tickets to Six Flags Arlington on their payment plan. Ended up paying DOUBLE the park rate. 12 months with no cancellation $58.85 a mo.=$706

6 tickets cost outright $348. No stated interest charge on contract so you're led to believe it's the cost divided up until paid off. The website is sub-par to find any information and to contact someone via email, as the fields do not work and don't even try to cancel, no one will give you a straight answer and it changes with each person. We have been long time attenders 10+ years... We will definitely NEVER go back after this scam of a deal. Also, the app that holds the "specials and deals" will disappear at random times, IE we went to use a "bring a friend coupon" which showed to be valid on the date... Went that day and it was not there and had to pay full price. Miss the paper coupon books, much better.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I don't know how you can advertise a company that this happens at. People should not patronize Six Flags. I already sent this complaint to them and with no response I said I would sent out to others. I don't know how you can advertise a company that this happens at. People should not patronize. Totally disgusted with Magic Mountain attended on December 30, 2019 Sunday. I am a senior citizen and saved for quite a while to be able to send my three teen grandchildren to Six Flags in California only to find out it turned out to be the worst day ever. Got there at 10:00 am. Left at 6:00 pm only because the ride times were outrageous. They were only able to get on one ride in all that time. Lines everywhere were extremely ridiculous. 2 to 5 hour wait per ride. Waited for one hour and a half and still only halfway through the line only to find out that the ride was broken down.

Restroom lines were over 30 minute waits. Food lines over an hour just to place an order. Parking lots were to capacity and yet the park was still letting people in. How do you expect to make a good name for this park when it's impossible to enjoy yourself. There has to be a better way to run their rides and lines or limit capacity. I feel I am due justice and so do so many others. But I am writing this complaint against Magic Mountain and plan to take this complaint further if I have to. This capacity could have dangered so many should there have been a fire or earthquake. Let's see now.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My daughter loves roller coasters so we purchased a pass to Magic Mountain with the thought "If you go more than 1 time it is worth the money". No, No No!!! Her 2nd visit, the park was oversold; 2-hour lines, rides closed (as with any park) however her and a friend were being harassed by a group of males and there was no security. Additionally, groups were blatantly cutting, exiting, relayed. It was disgusting and they were unable to purchase food (2 hrs). What? "Mom, there were no employees anywhere; is that safe?" They closed Magic Mountain Parkway so she had to walk from the park almost to the freeway as we sat in dead stop traffic for 1hr after the 30 minutes from LA. When she reached the car she blurted out "Mom, I'm done, I don't want to go back to that park".

Cancel a Membership? Good Luck with that! You need your original email (save it); google "how to cancel". Can click the link from there as it will save time. I finally get it and after going thru the many prompts I selected CANCEL only to have {Server Error in '/membership} pop up. I selected the "Chat" option and she did take care of it. She Replies, "You will be charged for next month as it takes 45 days to cancel check you membership agreement".

"Did it state that the park was unsafe in the user agreement?" I ask. "We're in Texas. You may want to call the park" she says. "Been there," I Type. "Should you call the park, your options are 1 Magic Mountain Information, 2- Hurricane Harbor and 3 Human resources. There isn't an option to speak with a representative," I type. "Email" she responds. "I emailed the evening I returned from the park, as my teen was afraid;" no response. "I'll take note of the complaint," she tells me. "You do that". End. My Advice: If your teen would like to visit the park, do not let them go unaccompanied; it is just not safe! I would choose Knotts Berry Farm, Disney or Universal as they have good reputations for a reason; regardless of the crowds or lines or other issues, they have great security and will always respond to a guest comment.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I just recently discovered that the annual membership I canceled in 2016 (and received a cancellation email confirmation for) was somehow not really canceled. Although I have changed my debit card at least twice since then, and have never provided them with my updated card info, they have been charging me anyway. Even after I emailed them and have been exchanging correspondence disputing these charges, they charged me again. Never signed anything, never received anything (like new membership cards) and have never spoken to anyone about authorizing payment for anything. Guess I’ll be seeking the services of a lawyer. DO NOT TRUST this company.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been a member holder for about 1 year and 4 months. I been trying to get out of this deal for a long time with no avail nor help from Six Flags. They say it's easy to cancel online and you can only do it online. But when I try it says it can't cancel that I have to call this number they provide but no one answers it so I think it's a scam. I been paying for a membership I don't even use with no way of getting assistance to get out of it. So if you decide to get a membership please beware of these shenanigans!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

So when I came to Six Flags I was told I had free or preferred parking up in the front with my diamond membership but they told me that I couldn't park because I didn't have some kind of paper ignorer to park in the front.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I bought a membership to Six Flags, ignoring the red flags, and sure enough, got burned. One of the benefits of the membership is some days when you can bring a friend for free. They will not tell you when those days are or how many of them there are until after you purchase the membership, and you cannot cancel the membership. I bought it anyway, thinking Six Flags was reputable and would not scam me. I'm not sure why I thought that. It turns out that, "Oh, we're sorry, there are no free friends days for the rest of the season." I spoke to a customer service person, who basically said, "Sorry, too bad for you." Definitely caveat emptor.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We bought a season pass more than one year ago and now that we want to cancel it has been impossible! We are really frustrated with their service and I’ve seen other complaints about the same issue we are having! In their website they say that they will send an email and we never get that email!!! Please, we would like an answer about WHEN we will have our membership canceled!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I bought my kids a Season pass for Christmas 2017, and paid the monthly charges versus the one-time upfront costs. Both were the same, so I thought. I was roped into an offer that allowed me to attend the 2017 holiday in the park, and the 2018 Holiday in the park even though my membership was good from 11/28 to 10/28/2018. After that it would be month to month. I didn't realize this, so I went ahead to pay my 11/28 bill and contact support to cancel, knowing I had just paid for a month I didn't require since I was already able to go to the park in December due to the offer.

When I chatted in the rep told me that isn't true, and that I would have to pay for December too because they have a 45 day/15 day cancellation policy. I told her that it was 48 days until the December payment would be due because I chatted in on 11/16. She said, "That doesn't matter. Your November payment is due in less than 15 days, so you are responsible for November and December?" I was livid because I am now paying two payments which I will get nothing for at all. I didn't feel like fighting about it, so I canceled. I won't ever go to Six Flags again; not one penny will they get from me. If someone gives me a free ticket, I won't go.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

The park is dirty. The kids are not trained to help appropriately. No one knew where anything was. The food was disgusting. Bathroom dirty, messy, smelled like urine and just gross. The worst part was that the membership I subscribed to renewed after 12 months. You cannot cancel unless you give 60 days notice. Therefore, it's not a 12-month membership, it's a 14-month membership. And if you try to cancel by deleting your CC or PayPal account, they will badger you with emails and threats to add more $$ fees onto what you owe them. ON top of THAT, you have to pay $10 to cancel the membership.

The membership has perks, like free parking. However, I accidentally put my son's name on the membership card (he's underage) and my name on a season pass card. The membership is non-transferable. Therefore, I could not use his card the following year. I had buy a new pass or ticket for myself if I wanted to go alone. I also had a woman hang up a chat with me because I was upset. I was hung up on by automatic response bots when I called. I was told I had to cancel online, but that I could not cancel until I paid the last month's fee. This is such a god-awful scam. They make millions off people like me. Please avoid if possible. At least, do not buy a membership. It's an agreement you cannot back out of easily.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Six Flags conned me into a never-ending meal pass fee! I paid for a season pass I thought would save me money. It was $99. Months later I am being charged $11.72 a month for meals, so I cancelled my bank card & now Six Flags is sending me to collections!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have a membership with Six Flags America. Fright Fest the lines are long and security cannot keep up rework the people that cut the lines that go to the mazes. A remedy for this needs to be looked into. Other people waiting in line gets upset and arguing ensues. Six Flags really needs to think security through for the mazes and those that like to cut lines. I am a Six Flags fan other than the issues with the mazes.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA Is my very SO CA Amusement Park. Knott's and Disneyland are fun too But Magic Mountain is much better for adults! The rides are bigger and more fun and the variety is unlimited. There is a lot more included for the price of admission as well...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Too expensive to enjoy without really considering what you can afford. Even a soft drink is not affordable to the average family. Not fun to have to tell the kids no. Everything is so pricey and it's not fun. Kid's are unhappy, which makes me unhappy.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Horrible customer relations department. All employees including supervisors are young and inexperienced and don’t know how to handle situations. Awful in all aspects except for the actual rides.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Great value with season pass, but 1 hour waits for rides. Glad we went - close to home and convenient. Wished there were shows or parades or some indoor seated events to rest and recover.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I took my kids to Six Flags with a group of friends. There were about 20 in our group. Everyone enjoyed themselves. However, I do think it costs too much. Last year, I bought 4 season passes but we never went. Unfortunately, Six Flags would not give us a discount on the tickets we purchased at the park in July.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

The park is fun but if it is too busy then you can’t do anything. A drink bottle is a must and is expensive. Almost 20 dollars but free refills is worth it. We try to go at no busy times to get the most out of the park in one day. It also pays to be a member especially if you visit more than a couple times of year because of the discount you get. The food is mediocre at best and way overpriced but you have to deal with this when you want to go to an amusement park. Overall it is fun but be prepared and plan your trip carefully to get the most for your money.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I felt very happy had so much fun. My kids had a great time. The food was great. The people are nice so it was a great day. The drinks and the ice cream were good.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I enjoyed the freefall balloon ride and skyline across park. I had a good time. I found these not sickening and nice rides. I don't like to be turned upside down so like these.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We visited with 2 small children & took advantage of all the amenities. Everything was clean, well marked, fun. The children (1G, 1B) enjoyed the heck out it!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I spent four (4) days at the park and did so much and had a lot of Fun! For example: I went on the Skyway Frontier Adventures Ride and saw the whole park on that ride back on Friday, August 10, 2018. It was absolutely so beautiful! You can see the Lake, all of the rides, including the Tallest Rollercoaster in the World and much, much more from that ride mentioned above. In Addition: I actually spent several days at Six Flags which went from Friday, August 10, 2018 up to Sunday, August 12, 2018.

Six Flags definitely has so much to do besides the rides such as their shows which include their Daffy Duck Dance Off, their Safari Ride, their Games to test your luck, along with many Restaurants, Ice Cream and Desert Shops and Local Souvenir Shops. One of their Most Famous Rides is called "Kingda Ka" since it is known to be the Tallest Rollercoaster In The World and Yes, I Rode It! I really had a great time during my four (4) days out there and you will too! Do come and visit! Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Magic mountain is the park where the "vacation" movie was filmed... as it substituted for "wally world". It’s right next to the desert and can get hot as hell... that, and the stomach churning rides put one of my kids in the infirmary for most of the afternoon!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Great overall experience. Lines were not too bad when we visited. It is my experience that the longer the lines are, the worse of a time you are going to have.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

The route in walking from the camp ground was not clearly marked with the "road" or wide path being only an inch lower than the walk way. I stepped wrong and hurt my ankle. It was horrid getting to the medical center and they said it was a sprain and "wrapped" it telling me to try to stay off of it. We had to go all the way back to the main gate to get a "wheel chair" and had to pay to rent it. They didn't even provide an aspirin for pain. We were there for three days and had to rent the chair every day. The fact a storm came in wiping out of all the electricity in the park and campgrounds was definitely not their fault but having no emergency lighting made it difficult to get back to the campground. The fact the tents were all down and several trailers blown over was not their fault either, but they didn't offer refunds on tickets or replacement tickets for other days.

Six Flags America expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The first Six Flags park opened 55 years ago and has since expanded to include 18 amusement parks across North America, so there is likely a Six Flags relatively close to you. It is the largest regional amusement park company in the world, with more than 28 million visitors last year.

• Water parks: Most of the amusement parks are located near a Six Flags water park, so visitors can easily visit both attractions. Additionally, admission to several of the amusement parks includes admission to the water parks. These water parks have typical water features like wave pools, lazy rivers and children’s play areas. They also include thrilling attractions like Bonzai Pipelines where visitors stand in a launch capsule before being dropped down a near vertical water slide.

• THE FLASH Pass: Visitors who do not want to waste time waiting in line can purchase THE FLASH Pass, allowing them to skip a part of the line. Three THE FLASH Pass options are available: the Platinum Pass cuts visitors’ wait time by 90 percent and the Gold Pass reduces the wait time by 50 percent. The regular pass allows visitors to reserve a time to board the ride so they can skip the line. Season THE FLASH Passes are available for season pass holders.

• Season pass perks: Six Flags season pass holders receive benefits not available to individuals who purchase a single day ticket, including in-park discounts, invitations to special events and free extra tickets on selected days. Additionally, a season pass at one Six Flags amusement park is valid at all of them, so guests can visit as many parks as they want for one price. Season passes cost less than two single-day tickets, making them a good value for anyone who lives close enough to a Six Flags to visit more than once during the year.

• Roller Coasters: Thrill seekers will find amazing roller coasters at all of the Six Flags parks. The tallest and fastest roller coaster in North America is at Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari in Jackson, New Jersey, launching riders nearly 500 feet high at 128 miles per hour. Beginning in Summer 2016, Six Flags will partner with Samsung to offer a unique experience by combining a traditional roller coaster ride with virtual reality technology.

• Animal Encounters: Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, New Jersey and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in San Francisco both have attractions that allow guests to interact with exotic animals. In both parks, guests see elephants, tigers, giraffes and lions. At Discovery Kingdom, visitors can also swim with dolphins.

• Best for: Six Flags offers attractions for families, solo travelers and young adults. Also, it’s great for people who plan to visit more than once or more than one location in a year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs