3.0/5 (2092 ratings)

About Redbox

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: May 18, 2018

We rented a movie and it would not play in our DVD player, other ones we owned would play so we know it was a malfunctioning movie, this happened a couple times previously also, they gave us a code to rent another movie on them next night, and it would not play, then they would not give us another chance, sad that their service is so horrible that after we have to go clear back to store for another movie then it doesn’t work, then we paid for a movie they will not give us??? We will Never rent another Redbox ever and tell everyone we know also about their terrible service???

Original review: May 8, 2018

On 03/30/2018 my debit card was charged $97.73 by Redbox. I have never used Redbox, ever. Luckily, the bank flagged it is as fraud; that card was deactivated and a new one issued. On 4/23, a charge for $97.73 from Redbox was charged to my new debit card. That was also flagged as fraud, the second debit card was deactivated, and a third new one issued. On 05/08, a charge for $97.73 was charged to my debit card again (this is now the third time Redbox has tried to charge me and on three different debit cards). The charge was flagged as fraud; my card is now deactivated and I will be waiting for a new card to be issued.

I called Redbox, the first thing they asked me for was my card information. I was most certainly not providing a company that I do not do business with my debit card information. They were unable to find any transactions using my name so were unable to find this transaction and stop it from happening again. I was told that their system is highly automated and that if there was an amount owing on the first card, the system was able to link it to the new cards? Ummm... what would be the point of getting a new card to stop fraud then? I'm on my way to the bank this afternoon to see what the bank can do. I am incredibly concerned about how Redbox was able to get the information for my second and third debit cards.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I don't rent from Redbox but did at the urging of my grandsons who informed this is the way it's done these days. I rented movies and agreed to a charge of $8.29. I returned the movies the next day. Pleased with the ease of the process I rented additional movies at that time. I went to review my bank account as I do regularly and found three charges. Two for the same amount and location.

I called customer service and was told by a very rude individual who had no desire to help that it is Redbox's practice to charge your card at the time of rental then again at the time of return and I should expect a fourth charge due the second rental. I asked if the duplicate charges could be reversed and was told that depending on the bank the reversal could take up to 7 days. This outraged me!!! As a person on fixed and limited income duplicate charges I am not expecting could lead to overdraft fees and may be very costly. The representative had no sympathy, simply advising me to use this forum to express my concern.

I am not certain Redbox's practice of duplicate charges is legal as I signed nothing agreeing to it. I will call my bank first in the morning to file a fraud charge. I have also decided to educate the public. I have made laminated signs to keep in my car which reads "Buyer beware renting these movies will cost you double. Check your bank statement." My plan is to post these signs on every Redbox I come across until Rebox changes this unscrupulous and I would dare to say illegal definitely unethical practice.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Someone signed up for a Redbox account using my debit card which I did not authorize and because the information attached to my debit card did not match, they refused to try to assist me to rectify this situation. They have my money, but I did not authorize the transaction. Crooks. That's all I have to say.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I rented a video game a while back and accidentally chose the wrong platform (PS4 when I have an Xbox One). I called their customer service phone number and they offered me a code for a free night's rental to make up for the mistake. Even though it was my fault, they still made up for it. They've earned my repeat business for sure!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I rent a movie almost every day. I am in their top position as a renter. Redbox screwed up on, I don't remember what but they gave me 5 promo codes for free rentals. I used all 5 but was charged anyway. I called Redbox and they stated that they did not charge me! I told the woman I have my bank statement up on my computer and in front of me are the charges! She still said they did not charge me, I guess my eyes were lying to me! She refused to give me any credit! I told her I was going to stop using Redbox.

Last year Redbox got Approx. $500.00 in rental fees from me! I had 10,800 points on my account. I used 1500 points on a movie not expecting to get charged, and of course I got charged! It seems to me that whatever country Redbox farms out their office workers (I think The Philippines) at need to be schooled on customer service and basic math! I have been a Redbox customer since day one, you would think they would want to keep me happy! As of now I will take my business to Netflix!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Sadly, it seems Redbox is going downhill with 2018 changes: Changed credits to points ~~ now have to rent 15 DVDs to get "free rental" vs former "10 rentals" = more consumer cost. DVD rental rate increased to $1.75 vs former $1.50 each!! Variety of selection decreased & slipping in oldies movies or poor 2 star ones. Discovered April 20th, no customer phone service on weekend!! Duh, how do you promptly report defective dvds?? Thus, you can't get a free replacement code. Cuts jobs in Philippines who are overall, "polite"!! They post: "Our hours are 6:00am to 12:am ct, 7 days a week. Call us. 1.866.Redbox3. (1.866.733.2693)." Duh!!! Netflix/Amazon here I come.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I went on Redbox website and signup 2nd time could not get debit card add ever. Call their number, they told me to use new email so I did and that did not resolve it. Before all this it work fine and give me no issues on my first act that use last month. If chose to go with them do not close your act if you plan on return down the road.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I rented a movie 2-19-18... Bought new case. Returned 2-21-18. They have charged me full price for movie even though it was returned. $15.59 on bank statement and $10.09 from my gift card. Won't credit me saying they didn't charge...I have the PROOF.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I am returning this DVD on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018. I am visually impaired. I have run into the same situation with Red Box before. At that time the customer service representative helped me remotely even though I did not have a cellphone. I contacted two Red Box customer service agents about a return issue. They refused to let me speak to a manager. The customer service representatives indicated that the Manager would give me the same overview. I went to Walgreens Red Box kiosk, 801 Mebane Oaks Road, Mebane NC. I repeatedly inserted the DVD for return. It continuously showed error returning the DVD to me. I went across the street to CVS Red Box kiosk, 904 Mebane Oaks Road, Mebane, NC and went through the same procedure and got the same results.

I proceeded to call your customer service representative while at the CVS and explained my predicament. I informed them that I did not own a cellphone and had no way of contacting anyone who owned a cellphone that Easter Sunday. The customer service representative could not resolve the issue, I was disappointed and went home.

Once I arrive home and contacted another Red Box customer service agent and went through the same scenario with her. She did not understand the situation entirely and kept telling me to return to the kiosk with my cellphone for instructions. After 20 minutes on the telephone, I finally asked in frustration Red Box Corporate Headquarters mailing address so that I could return the DVD she reluctantly gave me the address. Now the merchandise is being returned.

I want to inform you that I will never utilize your service again, after two times with complications I am no longer renting a DVD from Red Box. According to Consumer Affairs website, there are over 656 complaints and mostly dealing with customer service and the return policy. I remain dissatisfied with Red Box customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Terms are still on the old prices yet this week they have changed the prices and I’ve not been able to get my free movie after renting 10+. I’m a legendary member, customer service doesn’t even want to give you credit without force. Movies are not playing properly on my DVD anymore. I’m not going to be their customer anymore.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Redbox policies don't allow you to cancel, modify or transfer a reservation after it's made. Not even if the website sends your reservation to the wrong Redbox, one that is nowhere near where you live. Redbox doesn't care and they won't take responsibility for the error or make it right.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Rented a DVD using the mobile app using my American Bank & Trust Business Debit Card, went to store to pick it up and screen popped up to tell me that my account wasn't in good standing... What? I hardly ever rent movies so that can't be right. I called customer service (lady was very obnoxious and loud) and kept asking me repeatedly if I rented the DVD using a prepaid card. Uhhhh, nooo... Once again, American Bank & Trust Business Debit Card.

The lady wanted to argue with me saying it was a prepaid card. Jeez. They locked my account up temporarily she said because it looked like I was trying to rent a movie with a prepaid card. Had to explain two more times that it WASN'T A PREPAID CARD and they still wouldn't budge. She then said, "Do you have an actual debit card you can use instead of this one?" I just hung up... You can only argue with someone like that so much before getting upset as it's like talking to a wall. And who rents a DVD with a prepaid card anyway? Wouldn't let me rent the DVD physically but, still charged my "suspicious card" lol. Bank did a chargeback on it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

If you live in the Southwest area of Illinois (such as in Oak Lawn or Evergreen Park), don't bother to rent games in a Redbox kiosk. You will be wasting $3, and will not get a game. All it will do, is it will give empty cases. Their customer service does nothing but give you free promo codes for free games, which do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING since there are hardly any games in the kiosks in the area. They will just give you yet another worthless promo code even if you get another empty case.

There isn't any security measures to stop people from stealing the games. They simply take the barcode off and put it on the empty case, stealing the game and making an unlucky person expecting to rent a game left with the empty case and $3 wasted. This happened COUNTLESS TIMES to me and happened recently 2 days this week. The vendors hardly stock games in their kiosks here. You have to travel 30 miles or more JUST to get to a kiosk that has a game, and it shouldn't be that way. I have better chances getting new release movies than games at Redbox, but there are times when I want to rent a game! Very poor service, in both customer service and in the way kiosks in Southwestern Illinois are handled when it comes to game rentals.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Used debit card to rent 2 movies 2 days in a row, didn't take it so I used Discover. Both charges appeared on both Discover and checking account. On real credit card still is in pending, but on checking it is already in history. Called Redbox, weird it seems it is just one person working there cause I recognized that voice anytime I called with disc issues. He advised me to contact my bank and fight charge. He admitted I only rented 4 movies in 2 days but I got charged 4 times, and he cannot do anything about it. Advice, stop using Redbox or if you do, monitor your credit card charges, I think they have scam not taking certain cards like debit card (very hard to fight those charges), at the moment then when you use another card, they charge both cards hoping people would not check accounts especially for $3.18.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I use Redbox quite regularly. For the most part I had enjoyed using the service but recently have noticed a troubling trend. I used to get a free movie after renting ten. It was also very easy to apply at the box and hitting one button to initiate and one to confirm. Now they got rid of their credits system and replaced it with points. But now it takes renting 15 movies to get one free one. Plus the option to apply points at the box is far more time consuming requiring one to enter their email. The three attempts I made to do so failed as the machine was not capturing my finger entries correctly. I then tries holding a movie at the box and the first time that worked out OK but the next two times, it did not work at all, so have been unable to use my points earned.

I see they now offer a Netflix online version so will see how that is priced because this at the box rental solution seems poor. On occasion they mix old movies with new ones and it does not always say "back again" but they have issued a credit when I reported mistaking an old flick for a new one. I liked them more when they were a buck a movie but am OK with $1.61, until now.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I have had the same issues with Redbox while living in both Texas and Utah. Constantly being charged multiple times for the same transaction or trying to pick up reserved movies only to find them not at the location the reservation was made. To make things worse still being charged for the movies that were reserved but couldn't picked up. It's extremely frustrating when you call about the issues but it's never their fault. Their common explanation is you must have swiped your card multiple times, there must have been a problem with your reservation processing properly (yet you still get a confirmation of the reservation sent by Redbox).

Trying to return rented movies is also a joke. They say you can return a rental to any location yet the machines are constantly having issues making you drive to yet another location to find that machine full because everyone else has already taken theirs there. When will Redbox ever get their act together and correct the problems. They've been telling me for years these issues are being worked. After a year long break from renting I'm already having the same problems and this is only the 2nd time renting. Calling does no good either since you never talk to someone that speaks fluent English. Instead you get someone with a strong foreign accent that repeatedly tells you it's your fault but never admits the problem might be because of their company.

Get a clue Redbox. We aren't idiots. We know how to count how many times we swipe our cards, we also know how to make an online reservation. If we didn't we wouldn't be using your services. Start taking responsibility for the problems within your company and most importantly hire customer service representatives we can understand and that can actually help us. Stop treating your customer like we are stupid and fix the problems like you claim you are doing.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Do not rent in Rutland VT; over eighty percent of the time, you need to clean discs and then, only five percent of those cleaned discs will work. You plan a party, you have guests, you rent two discs; and then, you have nothing to watch. STEER CLEAR OF REDBOX! What is a refund when you have a number of guest sitting down to watch a movie with a pizza!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Hey just so everyone knows Redbox customer services suck!! They have Xerox copies of video games in their machines to rent. Then they charge you 66 dollars for it!! Then they want you to return it so somebody else gets it!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Redbox gave me a Blu-ray instead of a DVD disc. I do not have a Blu-ray this was an error on the box and the employee who put it in the wrong spot. I immediately returned it and now Redbox wants to charge me $27 after I've already spoke to a supervisor and customer service and she said she would have it handled. An employee already went to the box to see that I'm telling the truth that I return the disc and that they put it in the wrong spot and they still want to charge me $27 again. I used to rent up to four movies a week for almost a year until this. They told me if I would give them $27 they would give it back to me and we could call it even! Unbelievable. I'm changing my credit card because of them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

We rented 2 movies from Redbox. We're overcharged. Called customer service. He agreed and gave us a free rental. Went to pick up our RESERVED movies from our location. The movies were not there. Called customer service again. She said our movies were rented to someone else. Keep in mind my wife used a promo code for a free movie. She also said that we would have to wait 45 days before we can get our 6.62 back so I went back into McDonald's and rented the same movies at the same location that customer service said our movies were gone but then our promo code was useless. After we called back again she basically told us to ** off. That's how we felt and we are now against Redbox and will never rent or be apart of anything related to them... I hope no one has to go through what we went through. Also it was during a bad snowstorm...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Given a gift card for Redbox. Used Redbox to rent 2 movies on demand. Required to enter a credit card and when I questioned this, was told it was a standard requirement, especially for any DVD's we may get at Redbox that we don't return. Since we were using on demand, this seemed like an odd answer but we wanted to use up the gift card so went ahead and ordered the 2 movies on demand. Both charged to the credit card with the gift card sitting in my account unused. Would NEVER have used Redbox if is stated anywhere that the gift card cannot be used for on demand but it does not and when I called them they apologized but refused to honor the gift card. What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

This company offers incentives and then they do not honor them. Two times I tried to redeem so called Perk Points. At checkout it stated one price, yet they took more from my account. They won't retain info regarding what you agreed to during checkout. This is nothing short of fraud.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

10 discs get one night free rental, now with Redbox Perks rent 15 discs get 1 free rental. In addition keep the disc as long as you want but it will cost you $1.60 for each day, WTF. These people need to run for office or better yet open a health insurance co., smoke & mirrors. Yeah Redbox, we're not all idiots out here. Most are able to figure out "basic math skills".

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

It has been at least a month since I used Redbox and I wake up this morning to go to a meeting and my bank statement says they’re trying to take over $20 out of my account!!! I messaged them to see why and they tell me they aren’t showing ANY charges. Even though my account has points and I’ve used my card there 3 times at least, all this year. Which was NO help! Needless to say I have a new card!!! Definitely DO NOT recommend!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Redbox has charged me 4 separate times for a single rental and refuses to do anything to correct it. The customer service person hung up on me. Never renting from them again. This is ridiculous. I can’t imagine how this remains a successful venture with the reviews I see.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I will never rent from Redbox again. There is ALWAYS an issue. This time they charge my account twice for movie that was not even close to being late. When I called customer service person didn’t even speak English. I’m not talking about an accent, I’m talking this person could barely speak English. I spell my name at least 20 times and he still couldn’t get it. It was so bad I finally just the hit to my account. I felt like I was on candid camera. I waited a while before I even rented another Redbox movie because I had an issue with it before, as well. I wish I could give zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Will never use Redbox again! They charge for movies that are returned with no notification but a charge on your card. This has also happened to other family members as well. Contact Customer service and they may give you a "courtesy" refund and still charge $34.00 for movies that were returned to the same Redbox that the DVDs were rented from. Beware!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Horrible, I am a single mom who works more than 46 hours a week. First time using Redbox... My son really wanted to see Marvel movie. We picked 4-6 dvds... Not aware that we had to return it the next day. Tried to reason with the company and supervisor was not compassionate or understanding. Explained my situation. He didn't care at all. Absolutely 100% cold. "Uh huh, okay. Well they are valid charges. Can I help you with anything else?"

While I am crying on the phone. They even lied about not having my email, so how exactly did I find out about the additional charges. I received a transactional statement from Redbox!!! There's over $50 charges. I will never use them again. My schedule and time will not allow for me to even eat a decent meal... let alone watch a movie. And the worse part is... the supervisor. His employees were more understanding and sympathize the situation. It would be nice to know about the extra charge before they automatically charge the account! I will never use them again. Not worth it. I would have given them a 0. No star. Horrible experience ever.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Redbox is not honoring the rental time agreement as stated in their website. They are charging customers for a full day rental when their initial day rental hasn't even expired. So a full day rental starts from the time you rent a DVD till 9 pm the next day. Afterwards if you hold the DVD from 9 pm till the next day 9 pm then that will be another day charge. This is not the case with Redbox. They are charging you for an extra day rental even before your initial rental time has ended. Will not be doing business with them.

Redbox Company Information