2.82/5

746 Redbox Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Do not rent at Redbox! I have not rented a movie there in a year. The last the three months I have been having problems with someone using the kiosks across the country using my credit card three times. I have got a new card number each time. Once someone gets a hold of your card information they will keep charging your card. They are thieves. In three occasions it has happened to me. Redbox also tried to charge me on my last card that was brand new for a game that was not returned. I ended up totally canceling my credit card now. This will affect my credit!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Just before Christmas I noticed a Redbox rental fee on my bank statement. I’ve never used Redbox. EVER! I contacted my bank and filed a fraudulent charge report. They closed the card and issued me a new one. Soon, Redbox was attempting to bill me $73 for the disk that was never returned. The charge was reversed and I thought that was the end of it. A month later Redbox is attempting to bill me again for the same missing disk. I had to contact my bank AGAIN and file a report, which forced me to close my card AGAIN and destroy it. Redbox insists the rental was made using my card and I know it’s IMPOSSIBLE since I only have one card and it’s with me at all times. Now I see it has happened to other people. There is a larger issue Redbox needs to address within their billing system. Maybe a class-action lawsuit needs to be brought against them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Every time I have an issue renting or returning with Redbox I have initiated a "chat" with customer service. After 10, 15 or 20 minutes of unhelpful help from the person in another country I end up more pissed than when I started. Ya, I know... I should have learned my lesson the 1st time but it took me 3 times. 2 times I've returned the discs and they don't show returned and they keep charging me. This time I reserved them online and picked up at the box and the box won't work. The customer service department simply tells me they will give me a promo code for my future rentals. No... not anymore. I'm done!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I am extremely upset with this company. I can't understand anyone answering the phones there. I went out (using my gas) to go get a movie. I chose Redbox to purchase my movie from. I got the movie and came home to watch. The movie won't play. I call in (to people that don't understand English and don't speak it very well at all). I am told that I have to go back out (using my gas again) for this $1.75 movie and return it and rent it again. Tell me why I have to go back out and do this all over again for a "Redbox issue" when they have the ability now to "make it right".

I should have been offered to stream it on Redbox on Demand so I wouldn't be inconvenienced more than I already am? This is just wrong. So as a customer, I am the one that has to make it right? Then I ask to speak to a Supervisor, of course I'm put on hold...for 22 minutes (very unprofessional). I sat on hold only to be told that the "Supervisor is still busy". Wow. Is that unprofessional or what? Then I was told there was no way that they could compensate me by doing "Redbox On Demand" but that they would transfer me to On Demand...what in the world??? I had to hang up. I was about to use words I shouldn't (Especially on Sunday!).

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was charged 100.46 for three movies. I can understand a charge for not returning, but these are movies people are renting over and over. That makes them used movies. I stopped using them before and I will never use them again. And I will be telling people to never use them. That is a ripoff. Very disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We had always used to rent movies at Redbox, but then we noticed that they were charging twice for the movies, so I called them and explain what was happening so the lady I spoke with said, "We will refund the money," and never did, so we stopped using Redbox, not nice to lie to customers!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Scam!!! Overcharged multiple times for rental. Movie was only rented for a few hours but debit was charged multiple times. I called to ask for my stolen money to be returned and told them I was recording the conversation to post on social media so that the public would know how they are stealing from their customers and they hung up on me twice. I asked to speak with a supervisor and again... They hung up on me. Redbox scams and steals from their customers. We will never use Redbox again!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was just charged $55.00 for late fees. The rate Redbox charges is almost 4 times what blockbuster used to charge. At least Block would notify you when you reached $15.00 in late fees. Redbox is all about LATE FEE CHARGES. THIS COMPANY HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER!!! SCREW YOU REDBOX!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Rented a DVD, wrong one came out. I called and put in complaint, they told me to return it, it was a fraud. I was emailed a promo code for a free movie. I used it and got another movie I didn't order. I was told to return that one. So I used my free promo code on another movie I didn't order. Way to go Redbox!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

They claimed I had a free rental coming from them. Then they still charged me for the rental saying the money would be back on my account in 5 to 7 business days. So I now have an overdraft charge to pay for this supposedly free movie. So this free rental cost me 32 bucks. FUTURE NOTICE - THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. It's not a free rental when you charge someone for it then return the money. How are they getting away with this? That's what I want to know!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I received an extra charge on my account for a movie and used their online chat. The representative was very kind and helpful. They looked into my account and explain what had happened and help me get the refund. Very pleased! Thank you Redbox. Shout out to Precile who helped!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We tried to order movies Friday night. The machine wasn’t working then. Saturday morning we had charges totaling 50.43. We called Redbox to see what happened. They tell us this is from July of this year. We have rented from this company since October and this is horrible business. We just want our money back.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Got 1500 points. Was going to get a DVD rental. In their disclaimer they never talk about charging you anything or they're being a five to seven business day wait for you to get any money that they charge you back. It was a very bad experience. Even though it was only a dollar 89 they still charged my debit card and then claim that once to movies returned they will put the money back on my card in 5 to 7 business days. So much for anything being free because that's false advertisement in my book.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I noticed an unauthorized transaction from Redbox from IL... Never been to IL a day in my life! Bottom line, they couldn't help me. Told me that I needed to contact my bank to dispute the transaction. Very dissatisfied and very wrong of Redbox!!! You lost my support!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've gone to the Redbox machines weekly. Been noticing how filthy the touch screen is, even the DVDs themselves. When I get home I have to clean them before I try to play the movie. Just plain filthy!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Rented 2 Blu-Ray disc. Return both on the 2nd night. Instead of been charge a 2 nights fees it charges double $ 8.78. Called customer service they said it is a temporary hold and will be refund in 5 days. It did not!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have never had a membership and I lost my Direct Express card but Redbox charged me for overdue disks! I called customer service but they did not help me! Take care people. This company thinks it can do whatever it wants.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I used to like Redbox but now I'm done with them. Got charge $5.66 for a movie I rented a week ago. Called customer service and all they said was this is an unauthorized transaction hold from their company. Like what the hell? You already withdrew money from my bank. So basically they double charge you after 5-7 days after your rent and return the movies. I'm so over this company and will not rent from them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First off I chatted with a person named Sheena Mae about how Redbox on Demand worked. I asked her if I make a purchase can I download it to an external drive and watch it without Redbox app because I PCS to countries that block their site. Her exact words were: "if you purchase it, it means you own the movie so you may be able to copy to your external drive." So I purchased it, then find I need to download the Redbox download manager, which I needed assistance in finding it (I called), and this person was incredibly rude and hung up on me. But I figured it out. Then I download it, but get no options where it goes, and have to do a mass search to find it. I find it only to see that it is in a format that only can be played through Redbox player. I call Redbox again, where I deal with someone who can't even find my transaction, and wants my bank to call them.

I ask to speak to a manager, where I am then put on hold, but not transferred. I call again and immediately ask to speak to a manager, where I am put on hold for how long. Then finally speak to someone who tells me I'm in the wrong department. She transfers me, where I speak to John who tells me I can't transfer the file to an external drive, and I tell him that I am now aware of that, and that an online chat person named Sheena Mae lied to me about it. He then hangs up on me. I call back again and immediately request for a manager, they ask why. I said, "Well, I've been lied to about a purchase, been rude to, put on hold but never answered, people couldn't find my transaction, then hung up on. I get so called transferred, where no one picked up the phone." End result I get ripped off by another lying company designed to treat customers like ** and rip them off. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake, stay away!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had rented two movies and they got stolen out of my car. I got hit with a monster fine and it would have wrecked my month financially if not for the excellent customer service and refund policy. Thanks for being understanding Redbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Updated on 11/16/2018: Although the rental was for one night, AND RETURNED IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS, they charged me for 2 nights. After not having any luck trying to email my grievances, I finally reached someone thru the helpline, who did finally refund my money. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE TO RENT FROM THEM! Instead of being entertained I had a miserable experience with them AGAIN.

Original Review: This is the 3rd time I've rented a defective disc from Redbox. I've only rented 6 times. Oceans 8 is brand new, so it must be Redbox's fault. It stops, then, when I grab the remote to ffwd, it starts again. Others haven't worked at all. Not like I've rented a lot from them. 50% of the movies I've rented are defective. It's not my DVD player. I've tried the same disc in several different DVD players. I have to pay for this rental, but I didn't get to watch the whole thing due to constant ffwding when it freezes or goes black. Every time I think about renting from you, I'll think again. Also, no one answers the phone at customer service, and I can't get signed on to email customer service. Disappointed. No longer a customer. You owe me about twenty bucks, Redbox!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For one, the machine was off. I would press something and it would select something else so I would have to keep going back which was so annoying then when I finally got it to where I needed it to be I was placing an order, then it restarted on me so I did it all again. Then I slid the card and the whole machine froze up and wouldn't let me cancel so I have to call customer service and finally after 10 minutes I finally got it canceled. It was so annoying so I say screw it. I'll never do Redbox again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Got a 3 night game rental on a Tuesday, returned it that Friday (after my 3, count them, 3 NIGHTS). Apparently, it's a 3 DAY rental, not a 3 night rental like advertised. Was charged for a 4th night. Beyond stupid, yeah. It was only $3 and at this point I don't care but practice what you advertise.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I rented a game today and I haven't rented from Redbox for over 3 years but gave it a try today. I ended up getting a paper copy so I immediately called Redbox, these people in customer service are hard to understand and really don't help. They just read and reply like a robot. So I got some free rental codes and they said I would be refunded in 3-5 days and to rent from a different Redbox location. I did what they said the same day while using their code, same thing happened, so I called them again. Same service and hard to understand. Never again will I rent from them again. I also called my bank to let them know what's happening before something happens with my banking information. I live in a ** area. Antioch CA. Don't rent new games or movies. Not worth the waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I went to a Redbox to rent a movie. I tried to log in using their buttons on the screen but it was just very difficult as they do not always work when you hit them. I got frustrated so I went to my car and logged in and seen that the movie I wanted was not available at that box anyhow so I drove to a box where it was available. Since I was logged into my account I then tried to rent a movie using my points. It wanted the CVV number on the back of my debit card. I put it in and then scrolled to the bottom to get confirmation and it again asked for the CVV number.

I went inside the store to get the customer service number and called customer service. I spoke with the lady and then she put me on hold. When she came back online she told me that I needed to contact my bank because they probably changed the code on my card without telling me. Really? That is just stupid. So I told her to forget it because I could have watched a movie by now with all the time I just wasted.

So the next day I decided to go to the Customer Service chat option on Redbox's site. I typed in that I wanted to complain about the customer service that I had received the day before. The representative asked me to type in what my complaint was. I started typing and really within about 2 minutes I did not get a, "Sir do you need more time," what I got was, "You have not responded. I have other customers to take care of, thank you" and he disconnected. Those are not the exact words but that is what he said.

I then called Customer Service and asked to speak with a supervisor. The guy kept asking what I wanted to talk to a supervisor about and I told him I wanted to complain about the customer service. He kept asking me for details but I told him I did not want to talk to him since he would not be about to do anything about it and I wanted to talk to a supervisor. Finally after about 8 to 10 minutes someone named Nohm got on the phone. I just let her know what happened, told her I would never use Redbox again as they have ridiculously horrible customer service. I then said goodbye and hung up.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I rented two on demand videos. Both did not play because video player was not working and I should try again. It never worked. Called customer service to get a refund and the people I spoke to spoke very poor English and was never able to get a refund so I will dispute credit card payment. Stay away from Redbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live in the Panhandle of Florida. On Oct. 9th Hurricane Michael was reported as being a cat. 3. I figured we would lose our ability to stream TV so I stopped by the Redbox to rent a few movies we could watch while internet was down. As most know, the storm hit on the 10th just a few miles shy of a cat. 5. Everything went down. Cell service, power, trees, entire neighborhoods. As soon as I got cell service I called Redbox to let them know my movies would be late. They were very nice and gave me an extension. However, when I was able to return the movies I had a charge of $45.15 on my card. I called again, they said it could be up to four days before they could give me a credit. Still waiting... I lost all of my food. This $45 would really help me restock. I don't write reviews. I just had to write this one because while most companies are rushing in to help us. Redbox is taking our money. Panhandle Strong!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I reserved a movie on October 11 in the evening and it said I had until the following day to pick it up. I picked the movie up and returned another the following morning at 8 AM and returned the new rental on the 13th at 7 AM having it less than 24 hours. I was charged a total of $3.82 with tax for 2 days rental and called red box to complain. They said even though I did not pick up the movie I was charged for the entire day of the 11th and 12th, the day I picked it up, or a two-day rental. They claim that they are entitled to charge me for the day I reserve it if I don't pick it up even though I had until the following day at 9 PM to pick it up. I don't think this is right and it's BS.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

So apparently if someone steals your bank information and buys a Redbox movie you're pretty much out of luck. That's what happened to me so I called customer service and now they're claiming they can't find the transaction so there's nothing they can do. The customer service lady was barely even listening to me and kept having me repeat my information three or four times then asked me for the barcode number on the back of the movie after I already told her repeatedly I didn't buy the damn movie. Either she was huffing paint thinner or didn't believe. How are they not able to look it up by the last 4 of the card number?? I have never done business with Redbox before and never will.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The absolute worst company I've ever dealt with, have no care for their customers and any trouble that they may have had. All they care about is getting paid. I'll never use Redbox again in my life. Worst possible people to do business with, thieves.

Redbox Company Information