1.25/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

710 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented 2 movies and was charged the first days rental. I know this is an authorization but the terms of service and the help section says that it will turn into the final charge if the rentals are returned on time, which they were. I checked my account then next day after returning the discs and see I was charged twice. I called my bank to make sure that one was just a hold and the other was a charge,but they told me both were charges due getting separate authorizations. Now Redbox swears they never charged a 2nd time even though I have proof, they refused to look at my proof and also refused to talk to my bank. Now I told them I would dispute the charge as fraudulent and also press charges for fraud. As soon as I said that they locked me out of deleting my credit card info from the website and blocked my access to my account info too. I really wish I could file a lawsuit but it wouldn't do any good.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am an avid movie watcher. A night with some popcorn, candy and a couple flicks, I don’t think a better night exists (maybe some chocolate cookie dough ice cream too). About a month ago, I had rented a Redbox for my niece’s birthday/slumber party. We watched it, had the time of our lives and returned the movie the very next day. Well apparently, someone had hooked up a card scanning device in the Redbox system I had used because someone was able to duplicate my card and make a purchase of their own. I had randomly been charged $4.99 and at first I thought maybe it was a delayed charge from my original rental for my niece’s birthday but that had been a couple weeks ago. A few days after that it jumps to $39.99 and so at this point I know something fishy is going on.

I gave Redbox a call to see what the charge was about and the lady told me that it’s because I hadn’t returned the Xbox game I had purchased. I DON'T OWN AN XBOX. So I told the lady that there must have been a mistake. I’m 1000 percent sure I didn’t make that purchase. I called my bank, reported a fraudulent claim and had a new debit card sent to me. My bank told me they would investigate and take care of it. The investigation was done, it was found that it was not me and I was reimbursed. End of story. I thought.

Today woke up to a charge from Redbox for $147.66!! I was livid because this had been handled a month ago and yet, again, I had been charged. So I gave Redbox a call again and the man asked for my card information. I said my card information is not going to matter because I ordered a completely new one and he proceeds to tell me, “Oh yes sir, I have your bank information here, we’ll investigate it again”... You heard right. He had my bank information again and they’re just going to “investigate”. After the ORIGINAL investigation, they had gone out of their way to contact my bank and ask for my new card to continue charging when they felt the late fees had racked up enough. Redbox is such an unprofessional organization and when I’ve repeatedly voiced my concerns and issues with the charges, nothing has been done about it. They told me to talk to my bank and that they’d investigate. I refuse to spend another dollar on Redbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

As others have mentioned, Redbox is beginning to treat its "valued" customers as not so valuable any longer. Tried to rent a movie tonight and received the error message "We're sorry - A reservation could not be made because your Redbox account is not in good standing". Call Customer Care if you believe this is an error". Well, of course, I did call, because I have NEVER been late renting or returning, so my account not being in "good standing" was absurd.

When I called in to "Customer Care", I was told that it had nothing to do with my rental history. They were actually disabling my account because of my complaints about discs being scratched, not playing all the way through and being given too many promo codes. You're kidding, right? Is the Customer Care number not there to assist customers that have issues with discs. THEY are the ones who OFFERED the promo codes for the inconvenience. So -- let me understand this --they're mad because we're actually using the Customer Care number like we're SUPPOSED to? Is that not what it's there for?

I have 4 emails tied to Redbox and across all 4 accounts, I have a total of approx. 2500 points. In order to get those points, I had to have SPENT money (You don't points for free rentals), so I will happily take my $50-$60 a quarter that I have spent on Redbox movies and renew my PRIME membership with Amazon next year so I can stream as many movies as I would like!!!

Like others, I am an Amazon Prime member. I can stream movies on my Kindle for free and Amazon has no issues with calls that I make. I get top service from Amazon each and every time and they NEVER get angry because customers call in to voice concerns. Why in the world does have a Customer Care Department if they are angry when you have complaints that you voice? It's ridiculous. I called Redbox and told them they don't have to disable anything. I VOLUNTARILY CALLED AND CLOSED all my accounts with Redbox and on Monday, I will happily tell "Corporate" office that they can kiss my apples.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

First, they sent an offer that was stated as today only... It didn't work so I called and they said it was for the next day. What??? Then the next day I received the same offer again. I paid for the movie and then it wouldn't play. They had no concern about my issue. I said I wanted my money back and they said goodbye. Their website is saying they have issues... Really? I guess so and their service department does as well. The site says come back later. I want it On Demand so I can see it now not "sometime" in the future and the clock is running since it turned the clock on and said I have less than 48 hours to view it. My recommendation is to go somewhere else. This company is getting too fat-headed and they don't care about us customers that created their company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I just wanted to warn everybody about my experience with Redbox. I rented a disc on July 19th and summarily returned it on July 22nd and which I was provided in my email a digital receipt. A couple weeks later I received an email stating go ahead and keep the disc will just charge you full price for it. When I contacted Redbox customer service I was told that they didn't have copy of the return receipt and that they were still going to charge me full price for disc which I did not possess. After calling them twice to have them stop charging me for something I do not have despite having a record in my own email that I did return the disc they refused to stop charging me. This is fraud. You cannot charge a person for a title they do not possess. They need to be sued.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This has happen many times before. I rented two movies at two in the morning on Tuesday "Breaking In" and "Life of the Party" and they were due on Wed by nine. I return them after eleven on Wed. I know I would have to pay one day late fee but they charge me two days. This has happen many times before. Plus the machine by my home is always down a lot. I am done with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have been a long time Redbox customer, and after these last few months I am never renting from them again! They have been overly charging my account for the last three months when I have not even renting a DVD since March. When I called to speak with someone they tell me I have a pending late fee that my bank won't allow through. I kept proceeding to explain to them that I have all my account records showing I have been charged multiple times. They refused to let me talk and continued to tell me I have pending charges. Today I was charged $46 for two late rentals in June according to them, after I spoke with my bank about the charges I tried speaking with someone from Redbox and they proceeded to tell me they have not charged me and that I now have a pending charge of $30 for a late rental in March!

That was nearly three months ago! I have been charged every time I return a movie and I make sure I check my account after to see if I was properly charged. I am late every once in a while but I have every charge on my card. The fact they are trying to charge my account again the last three months for movies I have well overpaid for is ridiculous. It is pointless talking to anyone in Redbox customer service. They are extremely rude and will not help you. I tried asking to speak with someone above them and they kept making excuses about not being able to get ahold of anyone.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I rented 3 movies. Returned them 5 days later and they charged me for the purchasing price of all three. When I called they gave me a refund of $20 because it shows I did return the movies but continue to take money out of my account another $40 today. This happened before in May and a couple times last year. I had to cancel 2 cards so couldn't have access to them. Sick of their ** customer service. Will NEVER USE REDBOX AGAIN! THERE IS STILL A MOVIE RENTAL STORE IN MY CITY I WILL BE USING FROM NOW ON.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am a long time customer of Redbox. I was charged twice for one transaction. The customer service representative stated it was “Redbox policy” to place a hold on my funds from my debit card. This is news to me and luckily my checks didn’t bounce. This is an unauthorized transaction from their company. I’m not going to wait 5-7 business days for the hold to be released every time I rent movies. They just lost a valued customer. I will never rent a movie from them again. I simply just wanted someone to apologize and refund me the $3.68 they took without asking or give me a promo code for 2 free movies. Never again. Be careful of this company!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I been a member of Redbox since they started. I don't understand there new perks program because there no such thing. I have almost 6000 points that the perks program does not let me redeem. What's the point of it all this shenanigans. The only perks is for the company. And then the great customer service that they have. Oh my god you go thru channels and they don't fix anything. But put you on hold to Redbox corporation. Take care of your customers. Look what happened to Blockbuster.

Updated on 07/12/2018: Redbox reprimanded me for filling a complaint. I went to rent some movies. But because I exercise my amendments right's I was kicked out off Redbox. That's so wrong. I been a customer for years since they started. I think I have myself a lawsuit here.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have never ordered anything from On Demand. Perhaps I accidentally clicked it while my phone was in pocket. I was charged 4 times for On Demand streaming Tyler Perry's Acrimony. I spent an hour trying to talk to the correct Redbox person. Redbox and Redbox On Demand are two separate companies (different phone numbers). They only refunded two of the four charges. 12.99, four times for the exact same movie. How could their system be stupid enough to let you order the same movie multiple times. They refuse to remove all purchases so I have to dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I rented two movies at the same time. One was a Wrinkle in Time. Both disc were scratched. Upon trying to contact customer support I was issued a promo code and rushed off the phone. I called back and got a refund. Later that day I was charged $6.47. Upon calling again the agent was rude and told me she couldn’t find my account. After respelling out my name for her, she told me she didn't find my account because my billing zip code was wrong. It was wrong because she typed it in wrong. Finally after finding it she told me one movie was returned at 8:59 and 9:01 pm. That was the charge on my card. They should really have a 5 min grace period. Redbox must really be hurting to charge everyone 7 dollars in late fees. Needless to say I'm done with renting Redbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Guess Redbox/Netflix is feeling the pain from the ovomit pitfall, losing so much money they need to steal from their customers. Rented 2 movies. Returned them the same day. Billed over $11. Agent reports they were 4 days late and will only reimburse $7.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I rented two movies at one time. Was charged twice. One caused an overdraft fee as I got paid a day later. Was renting for the kids. Anyway the bank charged me 36.00 for a pending fee. Not even a paid item so bank could do nothing and Redbox refused. They were rude and unapologetic. These people are horrible. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We rented a movie and it would not play in our DVD player, other ones we owned would play so we know it was a malfunctioning movie, this happened a couple times previously also, they gave us a code to rent another movie on them next night, and it would not play, then they would not give us another chance, sad that their service is so horrible that after we have to go clear back to store for another movie then it doesn’t work, then we paid for a movie they will not give us??? We will Never rent another Redbox ever and tell everyone we know also about their terrible service???

Original review: May 8, 2018

On 03/30/2018 my debit card was charged $97.73 by Redbox. I have never used Redbox, ever. Luckily, the bank flagged it is as fraud; that card was deactivated and a new one issued. On 4/23, a charge for $97.73 from Redbox was charged to my new debit card. That was also flagged as fraud, the second debit card was deactivated, and a third new one issued. On 05/08, a charge for $97.73 was charged to my debit card again (this is now the third time Redbox has tried to charge me and on three different debit cards). The charge was flagged as fraud; my card is now deactivated and I will be waiting for a new card to be issued.

I called Redbox, the first thing they asked me for was my card information. I was most certainly not providing a company that I do not do business with my debit card information. They were unable to find any transactions using my name so were unable to find this transaction and stop it from happening again. I was told that their system is highly automated and that if there was an amount owing on the first card, the system was able to link it to the new cards? Ummm... what would be the point of getting a new card to stop fraud then? I'm on my way to the bank this afternoon to see what the bank can do. I am incredibly concerned about how Redbox was able to get the information for my second and third debit cards.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I don't rent from Redbox but did at the urging of my grandsons who informed this is the way it's done these days. I rented movies and agreed to a charge of $8.29. I returned the movies the next day. Pleased with the ease of the process I rented additional movies at that time. I went to review my bank account as I do regularly and found three charges. Two for the same amount and location.

I called customer service and was told by a very rude individual who had no desire to help that it is Redbox's practice to charge your card at the time of rental then again at the time of return and I should expect a fourth charge due the second rental. I asked if the duplicate charges could be reversed and was told that depending on the bank the reversal could take up to 7 days. This outraged me!!! As a person on fixed and limited income duplicate charges I am not expecting could lead to overdraft fees and may be very costly. The representative had no sympathy, simply advising me to use this forum to express my concern.

I am not certain Redbox's practice of duplicate charges is legal as I signed nothing agreeing to it. I will call my bank first in the morning to file a fraud charge. I have also decided to educate the public. I have made laminated signs to keep in my car which reads "Buyer beware renting these movies will cost you double. Check your bank statement." My plan is to post these signs on every Redbox I come across until Rebox changes this unscrupulous and I would dare to say illegal definitely unethical practice.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Someone signed up for a Redbox account using my debit card which I did not authorize and because the information attached to my debit card did not match, they refused to try to assist me to rectify this situation. They have my money, but I did not authorize the transaction. Crooks. That's all I have to say.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I rented a video game a while back and accidentally chose the wrong platform (PS4 when I have an Xbox One). I called their customer service phone number and they offered me a code for a free night's rental to make up for the mistake. Even though it was my fault, they still made up for it. They've earned my repeat business for sure!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I rent a movie almost every day. I am in their top position as a renter. Redbox screwed up on, I don't remember what but they gave me 5 promo codes for free rentals. I used all 5 but was charged anyway. I called Redbox and they stated that they did not charge me! I told the woman I have my bank statement up on my computer and in front of me are the charges! She still said they did not charge me, I guess my eyes were lying to me! She refused to give me any credit! I told her I was going to stop using Redbox.

Last year Redbox got Approx. $500.00 in rental fees from me! I had 10,800 points on my account. I used 1500 points on a movie not expecting to get charged, and of course I got charged! It seems to me that whatever country Redbox farms out their office workers (I think The Philippines) at need to be schooled on customer service and basic math! I have been a Redbox customer since day one, you would think they would want to keep me happy! As of now I will take my business to Netflix!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Sadly, it seems Redbox is going downhill with 2018 changes: Changed credits to points ~~ now have to rent 15 DVDs to get "free rental" vs former "10 rentals" = more consumer cost. DVD rental rate increased to $1.75 vs former $1.50 each!! Variety of selection decreased & slipping in oldies movies or poor 2 star ones. Discovered April 20th, no customer phone service on weekend!! Duh, how do you promptly report defective dvds?? Thus, you can't get a free replacement code. Cuts jobs in Philippines who are overall, "polite"!! They post: "Our hours are 6:00am to 12:am ct, 7 days a week. Call us. 1.866.Redbox3. (1.866.733.2693)." Duh!!! Netflix/Amazon here I come.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I went on Redbox website and signup 2nd time could not get debit card add ever. Call their number, they told me to use new email so I did and that did not resolve it. Before all this it work fine and give me no issues on my first act that use last month. If chose to go with them do not close your act if you plan on return down the road.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I rented a movie 2-19-18... Bought new case. Returned 2-21-18. They have charged me full price for movie even though it was returned. $15.59 on bank statement and $10.09 from my gift card. Won't credit me saying they didn't charge...I have the PROOF.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I am returning this DVD on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018. I am visually impaired. I have run into the same situation with Red Box before. At that time the customer service representative helped me remotely even though I did not have a cellphone. I contacted two Red Box customer service agents about a return issue. They refused to let me speak to a manager. The customer service representatives indicated that the Manager would give me the same overview. I went to Walgreens Red Box kiosk, 801 Mebane Oaks Road, Mebane NC. I repeatedly inserted the DVD for return. It continuously showed error returning the DVD to me. I went across the street to CVS Red Box kiosk, 904 Mebane Oaks Road, Mebane, NC and went through the same procedure and got the same results.

I proceeded to call your customer service representative while at the CVS and explained my predicament. I informed them that I did not own a cellphone and had no way of contacting anyone who owned a cellphone that Easter Sunday. The customer service representative could not resolve the issue, I was disappointed and went home.

Once I arrive home and contacted another Red Box customer service agent and went through the same scenario with her. She did not understand the situation entirely and kept telling me to return to the kiosk with my cellphone for instructions. After 20 minutes on the telephone, I finally asked in frustration Red Box Corporate Headquarters mailing address so that I could return the DVD she reluctantly gave me the address. Now the merchandise is being returned.

I want to inform you that I will never utilize your service again, after two times with complications I am no longer renting a DVD from Red Box. According to Consumer Affairs website, there are over 656 complaints and mostly dealing with customer service and the return policy. I remain dissatisfied with Red Box customer service.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Terms are still on the old prices yet this week they have changed the prices and I’ve not been able to get my free movie after renting 10+. I’m a legendary member, customer service doesn’t even want to give you credit without force. Movies are not playing properly on my DVD anymore. I’m not going to be their customer anymore.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Redbox policies don't allow you to cancel, modify or transfer a reservation after it's made. Not even if the website sends your reservation to the wrong Redbox, one that is nowhere near where you live. Redbox doesn't care and they won't take responsibility for the error or make it right.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Rented a DVD using the mobile app using my American Bank & Trust Business Debit Card, went to store to pick it up and screen popped up to tell me that my account wasn't in good standing... What? I hardly ever rent movies so that can't be right. I called customer service (lady was very obnoxious and loud) and kept asking me repeatedly if I rented the DVD using a prepaid card. Uhhhh, nooo... Once again, American Bank & Trust Business Debit Card.

The lady wanted to argue with me saying it was a prepaid card. Jeez. They locked my account up temporarily she said because it looked like I was trying to rent a movie with a prepaid card. Had to explain two more times that it WASN'T A PREPAID CARD and they still wouldn't budge. She then said, "Do you have an actual debit card you can use instead of this one?" I just hung up... You can only argue with someone like that so much before getting upset as it's like talking to a wall. And who rents a DVD with a prepaid card anyway? Wouldn't let me rent the DVD physically but, still charged my "suspicious card" lol. Bank did a chargeback on it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

If you live in the Southwest area of Illinois (such as in Oak Lawn or Evergreen Park), don't bother to rent games in a Redbox kiosk. You will be wasting $3, and will not get a game. All it will do, is it will give empty cases. Their customer service does nothing but give you free promo codes for free games, which do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING since there are hardly any games in the kiosks in the area. They will just give you yet another worthless promo code even if you get another empty case.

There isn't any security measures to stop people from stealing the games. They simply take the barcode off and put it on the empty case, stealing the game and making an unlucky person expecting to rent a game left with the empty case and $3 wasted. This happened COUNTLESS TIMES to me and happened recently 2 days this week. The vendors hardly stock games in their kiosks here. You have to travel 30 miles or more JUST to get to a kiosk that has a game, and it shouldn't be that way. I have better chances getting new release movies than games at Redbox, but there are times when I want to rent a game! Very poor service, in both customer service and in the way kiosks in Southwestern Illinois are handled when it comes to game rentals.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Used debit card to rent 2 movies 2 days in a row, didn't take it so I used Discover. Both charges appeared on both Discover and checking account. On real credit card still is in pending, but on checking it is already in history. Called Redbox, weird it seems it is just one person working there cause I recognized that voice anytime I called with disc issues. He advised me to contact my bank and fight charge. He admitted I only rented 4 movies in 2 days but I got charged 4 times, and he cannot do anything about it. Advice, stop using Redbox or if you do, monitor your credit card charges, I think they have scam not taking certain cards like debit card (very hard to fight those charges), at the moment then when you use another card, they charge both cards hoping people would not check accounts especially for $3.18.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I use Redbox quite regularly. For the most part I had enjoyed using the service but recently have noticed a troubling trend. I used to get a free movie after renting ten. It was also very easy to apply at the box and hitting one button to initiate and one to confirm. Now they got rid of their credits system and replaced it with points. But now it takes renting 15 movies to get one free one. Plus the option to apply points at the box is far more time consuming requiring one to enter their email. The three attempts I made to do so failed as the machine was not capturing my finger entries correctly. I then tries holding a movie at the box and the first time that worked out OK but the next two times, it did not work at all, so have been unable to use my points earned.

I see they now offer a Netflix online version so will see how that is priced because this at the box rental solution seems poor. On occasion they mix old movies with new ones and it does not always say "back again" but they have issued a credit when I reported mistaking an old flick for a new one. I liked them more when they were a buck a movie but am OK with $1.61, until now.

Redbox Company Information