3.0/5 (2092 ratings)

About Redbox

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: June 17, 2021

I purchased at Redbox a lot and took responsibility whenever I turned a disc in late or lost it, etc.. Right? Because that's what you do, you take responsibility for your mistakes. Redbox has charged me $70+ in this last week for disc that I turned in weeks ago and told me they would not give me a refund because they did not see the discs in the kiosks I told them I returned it to. When I returned them, I got the "thank you" screen after but didn't know I was supposed to receive a confirmation of receipt so I didn't know to look for one until I talked to them about a refund. I never got the receipt btw until they charged me an arm and a leg. But yet they are sitting there telling me they will not give me a ** refund for their own mistakes. Oh and one of the discs didn't even work btw but I didn't make a fuss at first because I only had it for 2 days so no big deal right? Yeah... Never renting from them again.

Original review: May 13, 2021

If there was a rating lower than one star I would rate this experience. I usually do not write bad ratings but I took the time to do so to prevent anyone else from getting scammed. I rented two movies and I personally turned it in the next day in the 711 Red Box without experiencing any error from the machine. Just today I notice a posted transaction from Redbox for 67.32. I spoke to customer service and they claimed that I did not return the movies and will not do a refund. I do not recommend anyone to use them, you will get scammed.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I have been (close) tracking of my bonus point for rent DVD's at the box. They say "You will receive" 100 bonus point for this rental". However several times they do not add them or add 25 instead. At 1500 you get a free rental. But they have cheated me over the course, either adding less or not at all. Bad Pandas!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I normally do not post reviews unless I am that disappointed with the company. First things first, I have rented and rented over and over again with Redbox and normally do not have any issues. Well, the last 2 times that I have rented both boxes we’re having technical issues. So, I called right away to customer service and they told me I would be refunded. A few weeks go by and I am being charged 42$ out of my account. I proceed to call them again and they say they will refund me for that. I then receive a refund for 11$ and another of 3$ the same day.

At this point, I am still waiting on a refund for the other transaction they charged me by accident and miscommunication. So, I proceed to call them once again... I got hung up on 4 times waiting to speak with a supervisor. The last person I talked to (Jai) was rude and wouldn’t transfer me to a supervisor. Needless to say, I cancelled my card and will not be using Redbox ever again. Thank you for such a terrible experience.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Been using for the past 2 months with a Groupon and every time I order, leave my house to get the DVD, the box is either broken or DVD unavailable, thus I have to come home empty handed and then spend time calling Redbox customer service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Refused to return my DVD I accidentally returned instead of the one I rented. I returned the correct DVD as soon as I discovered the mistake. All they were worried about was getting their DVD back. Had no intention of contacting person servicing the kiosk to find out. I will NEVER rent from them again and will give a bad review whenever I can. It was a Blu-ray special extended edition Lord Of The Rings, Fellowship Of The Ring, disc 2, from a $60 box set. REDBOX are liars and cheats. Don't waste your time.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I returned my movie the very next day. I have location and time documented. A month later I was charged $32 for an unreturned movie. I have a history of 10 years where I have never been over 1 day late returning a movie. I was told they didn’t have the movie and the charge was on me. I will never use them again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I used one card and they changed another card over a month later without giving them permission then I called to say something about it and I got told, "Sorry we can't not refund your money. Contact your bank."

Original review: July 18, 2020

Redbox keeps charging me $32. And change plus taking $1.00 every other day put of my account for movies I've supposedly never returned. I have been a customer of Red Box since they began, never had had an issue. This is the 2nd time I have called Red Box and they refused to return my $$ into my account. My first call within the same month my $ was placed back into my account no problem after they realized that they truly did receive their discs. I believe Red box doesn't follow by their own policies & code of ETHICS and charges whatever they please. Not satisfied will never return to redbox again!!

Original review: July 16, 2020

The Redbox Kiosk in the Maple Glen, PA Giant is the worst! I reserved two movies online on 7/15/2020. I drive all the way there and the kiosk in not working, again. THIS IS THE 6TH TIME IN 9 DIFFERENT RESERVATIONS THE KIOSK IS OUT OF ORDER, AFTER I DROVE ALL THE WAY THERE! I hate redbox so much. We had a entire night planned and it is ruined AGAIN! Who is servicing this machine. I'm going to Netflix. Netflix always works. Why let me reserve online if the machine is out of order. Why not email me if it broke before I waste my gas money.

Original review: June 27, 2020

We rented 8 movies over a few days. Got charged $22.26 for the movies and they also add a charge on there for 4.28 to make sure it a active account. Now they refused to give me money back. Beware of this company. They lie and steal. They charged my husband card. Don't know how they got his number but they refused to refund me. So kiss my ** Redbox.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I was issued a promo code for joining RedBox. The email stated that the code is good online or @ the box. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of COVID-19 and I do not feel comfortable leaving my house. I called customer service and asked to swap the code for one that I can use to get the movie straight to my TV. Even ordering online, I still would need to go to the box and get the movie.

The boxes are touched by a million hands, not sanitized by an employee, exposed to all kinds of germs, etc. I should be able to use a promo code for any service that Redbox offers. Many people do not want to go out during this time, and are fearful of touching a high traffic kiosk like a Redbox. I was not asking for anything free. I only wanted to swap one for one. The CS rep. was very rude and condescending to me. When she started speaking to me as if I were a child, I got angry. I felt like I was being scolded for asking for assistance. Once a customer feels that they are not heard, and that they are not valued by the company, then you have already lost them.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I started with being unable to access my account for two years. I was still receiving promos and marketing emails, and when I rented movies I still got the points racked up on my account. The reason why I couldn't log in? Because I had signed up for the service using an aliased email (username+alias@gmail.com). This is well supported by Google, and most websites that don't support it won't even let me sign up with the +alias. Usually it's fine, and I just sign up without.

This was not the case with Redbox. You can sign up with an aliased email, but never actually log in. Two years later, I really wanted to just reserve a movie and go pick it up (minimize screen presses because of the pandemic, as a reasoning), so I contacted customer service. Not only did the representative appear not to read my initial message (I even said, "my issue is likely because of the alias") but she walked me through the exact same steps I'd already tried. Told me I was using the app instead of the browser, though I'd said multiple times I was using a browser, and then got snippy with me by saying "you know, this is because of the "+" sign that was added on your email address" (despite the fact that I LED with almost that exact same comment).

She ended the session with "create a new account, and we'll deactivate the new one. We'll give you some promo codes for your points". First off: What? If I'm racking up points, and you can see that, aren't they accessing the account? If so, can't they change the email? Other websites I've reached out to about this issue realize it, change it, and we move on. Not Redbox. Secondly, fine. I created a new account. True to their word, I did receive some promo codes.

Tried to make a purchase and was faced with an error "your Redbox account is not in good standing. If you think this is an error, please contact the Customer Care team" and I could not make the purchase...though I'd JUST created the account. I reached out again, as per the recommendation. The second representative was similarly unhelpful, had me try literally ONE thing (clear browser history and try again) before saying "I'll pass this along" and promptly ending the call. I even attached all of the old history from the previous call, and a screenshot of the current error, but was asked a lot of the exact same questions as in that call.

Very displeased, and while I was liking Redbox because it's generally $2-$3 cheaper than a lot of on-demand streaming services, and I like my weekly deals, I'm really not sure if I'm ever going to use them again. I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot, talking to agents who don't even bother to read what I've tried or what I'm writing, or agents who drop the session without even waiting a full minute for a response. Unprofessional. Unpolished. (I assume untrained).

Original review: May 14, 2020

They have stolen my money. The first time I kept using them because I figured it would be a one time mistake when they charged me twice for a purchased movie. They have now charged me again 32 something for a movie I RETURNED. So not only are they charging for something I didn't want they are actually stealing my property. I am not getting any satisfactory response from their "help chat" as they call it. I will never use them again, they are not to be trusted and what could be summed up as an honest mistake is done over and over and they won't get back to me.

Original review: April 4, 2020

We are in the midst of COVID-19 and most are in lockdown, no travel except for necessities and that is limited. I am continuously receiving promos for free rentals AT THE BOX! I did a live chat to see if maybe some of these could be turned into discounts for OnDemand streaming and the live chat person (Paul) was rude. I can say I have been a LONGGG time customer and I am very disappointed that REDBOX has decided to contribute to the contact spread by allowing Box rentals! Most companies have stepped forward in this awful time to offer huge discounts, those you do not have to leave your house for and which REDBOX could also offer rather than the free rental promos.

Original review: March 7, 2020

Redbox charged me 5 different transactions within a month. 2 of those made my account overdraft causing a 35 dollar fee each time. Altogether, the total loss was 102.89 for a 10 dollar movie. I called the customer service number and she told me sorry, those are the terms and conditions no refund and hung up the phone. This is the worst business and even worse customer service I've ever had to deal with. I do not see how REDBOX is still in business.

Original review: March 3, 2020

My grandma got me a Redbox gift card when I don't have a tv or DVD player and never use redbox anyway. Apparently, "e-gift cards" can only be used to purchase for pick up at a box. You can't use it for on demand or remove the card from your account. It didn't say anything about that when you go to enter the card in your account. Sorry gramms, but you just wasted money. Customer service also wasn't any help and couldn't care less. I'll stick with Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Please never never rent a movie with Redbox. I borrowed and returned the movies but they billed me over $30.00 for each claiming that I never returned the dvds. The first two, they gave me a refund but the last one they reuse to so because they claim it was not returned. Charged me $31.54. It must be some kind of scam because how can they say that I never returned the DVD’s when the kiosk at Vons Montebello accepted it. What is strange with this company is that they don’t give any receipt when renting and no receipt when returning.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Last night I attempted to view an On Demand movie on Redbox using a coupon code sent via email for a discount or free movie. My account showed I had 1900 points. So I entered a code from a recent Redbox email and was greeted on screen with: "bummer...your code has expired." So I tried another, and another, and got the same message. What GENIUS would send a customer discount codes only to have them expire so quickly? Within a month? Did they consider what effect that would have, especially on a new user? Obviously, an exercise in frustration. So I have canceled my account and deleted Redbox from my Roku channels. Perhaps that is a "bummer" for Redbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Tried purchasing games from kiosk. It says our cards could not be used for purchasing the games. Meanwhile, it does an approval through our bank account. Called customer service who tried to say it was because we were doing multiple games. Tried one of time and still same issue and meanwhile charged debit card again. Customer service refused to help or do anything. Meanwhile I have to wait and see if transactions go through.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

A fraudulent charge was made through the REDBOX platform to my Capital One Mastercard that I did not make. I am sure it was from a hacker that stole my card information. Capital One flagged it, and sent me a new card. Redbox attempted to charge my new card and Capital One flagged it again and again sent me a new card. This has happened 3 times.

I called REDBOX 3 times (2 times with the Capital One representative on the line) and REDBOX claims that because the their system is automated they cannot find the transaction to fix it. Unfortunately every time Mastercard sends me a new card they send the new card number to REDBOX and REDBOX keeps recharging the amount over and over again and Capital One keeps reversing it over and over again so this has become a never-ending problem and REDBOX is doing nothing about it. REDBOX has put me in a dilemma because they refuse to do anything to fix this and keep saying this is for Capital One to fix. Capital One keeps trying to fix this but REDBOX keeps recharging it. (The amount in question is $36.81.)

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I am being charged over $42.00 for a movie Redbox claims I did not return. I returned that movie, I have no desire to keep a movie I've already watched. They said they did a count of the number for that movie and they claim that they are short. It could have been an employee who took it, or a miscount, either way I know I didn't keep the movie and I'm paying the price for someone else's mistake or error. They will not give me the benefit of the doubt. I will NEVER rent from them again!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

In the last year, I rented about 5 movie discs at the box...out of those, 2 were damaged and wouldn't play. Those percentages are not good and I will not be renting anymore. I would rather stream or use On Demand and pay a couple of dollars more. At least I know it will play, without scratches or stopping.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I live in a rural area. I rented from Redbox for the first time on New Year's Eve. Attempted to return the movies two days later and was unable. Received message that the box was full and could not accept any more discs. The next closest Redbox is over 25 miles away. Who knows when it will be able to take my returns, and I have to keep driving the 12 miles to check. I was told a technician would be out to empty up some spaces some time “tomorrow”. Not helpful. Will never rent again.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Movies that were paid for by debit card Redbox billed card extra fee with no explanation. Unable to get Redbox give reason why. Will have get card co to get money back. Redbox does not want to help. Service line not very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

When I joined Redbox, I was supposed to get one free rental. I received an email with a code. The email states "Good for one free rental online or at box." The code wouldn't work when I entered it to rent a movie on demand. First I tried chatting with a representative but the chat feature malfunctioned and she terminated our chat. I called and the rep told me that the code is not valid for on demand. I told her that the email states that it can be used online. She said that means you can enter the code on the website then go pick up the movie at the box. I told her the email is very misleading and she said, "Yes ma'am. We've received a lot of complaints about it." No offer to resolve the issue. Redbox is a piece of crap.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I do not recommend purchasing digital gift cards. You would think a digital gift card could be used online, but no. You can only reserve a movie online using the gift card and then you have to go find a box to pick it up. So basically if you're trying to purchase a convenient gift for a busy person, it is actually going to make it LESS convenient since they have to make the reservation online FIRST, then they still have to go to the box to get it. The worst part is that they don't make this clear until AFTER the purchase is made. Only AFTER you buy the e-gift card will they tell you via email that is CANNOT be used for streaming and is non-refundable!

I was actually LOOKING for the terms and conditions of my purchase before I made it and I'll just say if it WAS there, it must have been pretty well-hidden because I sure couldn't find it! I just feel like this is not an honest practice. They should be more clear up-front of... not tell you after the fact, "oh by the way, you won't be able to actually use this gift card, and no we won't give you your money back." Just not good customer service. Disappointing. :'(

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I went to a kiosk and bought 2 DVDs and rented 3 DVDs for one night. The next day, I took the movies to Giant in Edgewater, MD to return them. I touched the screen for "return" and the system stated it was loading, it then asked for me to place my disk in the slot, which I did. 3-5 minutes later the machine read "out of order" on the screen. I then drove to Safeway in Edgewater, MD and returned the other 2 disks. 3 1/2 weeks later my credit card got charged $29.68 for the DVD that I returned at the Giant in Edgewater MD. I chatted with a rep online and got nowhere, so I called and the first rep didn't help me, so I asked for a supervisor. She didn't help me either. Stated they don't have the disk and that they won't give me my money back. I told them to look at the camera in the store and by the kiosk and they refused to do so. So they kept my movie and charged me $30. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! THEY ARE A SCAM!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I signed up to refer friends, posted on social media, and took a survey. I even bought my first movie. I Was supposed to get 2 free rentals and had technical difficulties. I spent over 2 hours trying to fix my problem and got nowhere after being shuffled around to at least 6 service reps. “Supervisors” even passed me on to wait for 30+ more minutes. When I finally get so frustrated I hang up. NO ONE even tried to solve my problem or offer compensation for my time and frustration.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Redbox makes customers #1. Nowadays most companies do not. I had a dvd player break and was late getting dvd back and was was not charged. Of course this is a very rare circumstance. I have been using since they started. So have received only 1 scratched up movie and called explained and immediately returned movie. No charge. Cheap and great entertainment with convenient kiosks or streaming! This is the kind of company you not mind giving your money to. Many abuse their system yet they continue to give free codes and the ability to rent a dvd for less than 40 cents! Have a spring amd winter spin giving away tons of great prizes. I hope they will continue to be successful!

Redbox Company Information