3.0/5 (2090 ratings)

About Redbox

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: July 19, 2015

Future note for ANYBODY who rents movies from Redbox. DO NOT ** RENT FROM THEM! They are a ** joke and will rip you off! I reserved two movies to pick up at the only kiosk that had both of them that was clear across town. So I waste my gas to go to this kiosk at a Walgreens, go to swipe my card to pick up my two movies that I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR mind you and the ** thing WILL NOT read my card. I call to tell them their ** isn't working and get told that my reservation cannot be canceled and that I will STILL BE CHARGED for two movies that their BS won't give me! RED BOX IS A ** RIP OFF! This is my first and LAST TIME I will EVER rent from ANY Redbox ever again! ** REDBOX, BRING BLOCKBUSTER BACK!!!

Original review: July 13, 2015

On July 3, 2015, I attempted to rent 3 movies from the Redbox located at Walgreen's on 411 Highway in Maryville, TN. I ran my debit card, but the kiosk did not dispense the movies. I immediately contacted their customer service and the gentleman said he saw where I made the transaction, but did not receive my movies. He said he would go ahead and "take of it" so I would not be charged for it. In checking my bank account the week of July 6, 2015, the charge of $9.84 to Redbox appeared on my statement. I have made 3 calls in an attempt to get this credited. The first call I was told I would receive credit in about 6-7 days. I once again checked my bank account today, July 13, 2015, the charge is still there so I called again.

The first person I spoke with was so foreign I could never get her to understand what I was saying. She could never understand the last 4 digits of my card number nor could she understand my zip code. Suddenly, the call went dead.... I think she simply hung up on me. I called back and spoke with a girl named Julie. She tried to give me a pre-authorization number and told me to call my bank, give them this number and they would credit my account. The bank has charged my account for this and the only way it will be credited is for a representative in house to issue a credit and run it. What is so complicated about this? I am sure this isn't the first time this has happened, but why can't someone take care of a simple request?

Original review: July 5, 2015

I have been dealing with Redbox for three years with the same NetSpend prepaid card and I have not had any problems. I go today and take back the movies I rented last night and get new movies and they are now saying my card is no longer supported. I ever received an email or anything bout this new change and I am VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS CHANGE.

Original review: June 30, 2015

Redbox started with charging folk 1 dollar. And as progressively and aggressively raised their rates too ridiculously! The other day I got 3 movies, a couple blue rays, and a regular disc. Granted I returned the movies a couple days late. I was charged 23.27. This is **! I promise y'all I'll go to the movies or buy 2 dollar movies from the pawnshop first before I ** with Redbox!

Original review: June 25, 2015

Rented 3 movies, all were returned. Redbox deducted $25.00 from my account. I called in, they said it should be $30. I explained all movies were returned. She said I would get my $25.00 back after I put enough in my account to cover the full charge. Boy it would take seven days to get it back. How many other people have they done this to? You don't get a receipt purchasing or returning. You can't prove anything.

Original review: June 19, 2015

Strike one: The very first movie I rent from Redbox...doesn't play. I go online to see what to do about it, it says to make sure it is returned by 9pm and I won't be charged. You mean, 9pm tonight??? I just got back from picking it up tonight. Yeah, they meant tonight. Got charged for returning it the next morning. Even though I obviously did not watch it, IT DIDN'T PLAY!

Strike two: I give it another try. The third movie I rent from them, skips.

Strike three: I go to pick up a movie, the kiosk says there is a problem locating the movie and try again later or try another location. Pissed, I drive across town to "try another location". I have to swipe my card about 18 times until the reader recognizes it. It tells me I didn't reserve my movie there - sorry!. So why did the first location tell me to "try another location"??? What a colossal waste of time. Will have to see if they charge me for their machine malfunction. Either way, 3 strikes they're out.

Original review: June 15, 2015

We went to Redbox and rented three movies on June 13th 2015. Returned them at lunch time June 14th. They took more money out of my account saying I rented movies I never heard of or would watch back in MARCH OF THIS YEAR. Called them to refund my money but would not have to cancel my card again. I should have learned my lesson the first time. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM REDBOX AGAIN. NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE BANK, TAKE TIME OFF MY JOB AND GET A NEW CARD WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY THEY STOLE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND RED BOX. They need to bring back blockbuster and movie gallery. Y'all are nothing but thieves.

Original review: June 14, 2015

I returned the 2 movies, then 2 or 3 days later I get charged $39.95. I want and need my money back.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I was looking at the new movies online and decided to rent 2. So I made a reservation online and shortly after I went to pick the DVDs up and the machine was broken. I shouldn't had to pay for a rental I was never able to pick up. The website shouldn't let you reserve a movie on a broken machine.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I rented three movies a couple of days ago and the machine took more than it was suppose to, a lot more and I want my money back.

Original review: June 12, 2015

Rented 3 movies, returned a bit late. Charged $109.00 for movie I kept. I called them and we confirmed return. Was suppose to receive refund for $45 and the remaining amount of $51 was to be wiped clean due to movies being returned. They never used refund. When I called them to find out why they gave me some story of having to collect the $51 before issuing me my refund. That makes no sense. I went around and around. Can't get a hold of corporate. I had to cancel my CC just to avoid them stealing any more money. Their policy states refund within 90 days. I had no problem paying late charged but not full amount of movies returned. I have an email that I'm due the money but won't receive it because I refuse to give them my new CC number! Will never use them again. They are liars, thieves, and scammers. Customer service is in Philippines so good luck communicating.

Original review: June 10, 2015

So I rented three movies and all three were returned the same day same place. Today I found a 40 dollar charge for a movie I don't have and it was a regular dvd... Worst customer service experience ever... Don't recommend Redbox.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I have NEVER had a bad experience! I love Redbox! It's cheap and convenient. I keep a prepaid NetSpend card for things like this and for reservations. So it helps with avoiding extra charges or unauthorized use from retailers. And some people seem to think it's a 24 hr rental but it's not!!! If you rent it at 11pm then regardless it is due at 9pm! I would give 5 stars but I don't like how you can't switch pick locations!!!

Original review: June 8, 2015

BOYCOTT REDBOX until they change their billing practices! Aside from all the other valid complaints already listed on this page, Redbox does everything in their power to make sure that thieves can use their system without the possibility of ever being stopped or caught. You cannot use a credit card at any retailer without proper authorization, but Redbox has somehow gotten the greedy banks to break the rules for them and allow them to accept credit cards without ANY checks and balances.

Visa and MasterCard both REQUIRE merchants to verify that the card has at least been signed before use. Redbox has NO way to verify anything when using the card as a credit card. All you need to do is guess the zip code, how hard is that? If these accusations were not true then Redbox would do like most other merchants and use the card as a debit card that requires a PIN number for customer safety. I wonder how much money they make on fraudulent purchases every year. They are just as guilty as the thieves that they support!

Original review: June 8, 2015

I reserved 3 movies online, but when I went to pick them up, the machine their machine said I had no reservations! But they still charged my credit card anyway. After I spoke with someone yesterday, since I was unable to get the movies I reserved, I would have to wait 24 hrs for it to be returned to my card. Well tonight I spoke with customer service who told me that they wouldn't refund my money and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, she hung up. Customer service skills suck!

Original review: June 2, 2015

Used to enjoy the convenience and cheaper prices in renting from Redbox, unfortunately the past 3 movies I have rented have not played, skipped or would start and not finish. Very frustrating when you rent movies for your kids and have to deal with their disappointment plus wasted money for no reason.

Original review: May 30, 2015

Paid money to watch a movie and the disk was badly damaged. Didn't finish the movie and wasted my afternoon. Buy movies yourself and save the hassle. The product should be in top condition and though it isn't Redbox's fault per se, quality maintenance should be done on all of the product to ensure customer satisfaction. Overall, not a fan...

Original review: May 29, 2015

Redbox is such a huge scam. If anyone is reading this that hasn't used them yet, DON'T! They just charged me $70 for movies I returned months ago. Their "policy" doesn't allow them to issue refunds past 30 days. Well they waited well after 30 days to charge my card. To anyone else this has happened to I suggest filing a fraud claim with your bank and getting a new card. How are these scam artists still in business??!

Original review: May 29, 2015

So Redbox sent me this email saying that I had rented these movies... First of all that's not my card number. Second of all I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THEIR EMAIL LETTER. Third of all I DON'T LIVE IN TEXAS. Never have I once bought anything from this company yet they email me this crap.

Original review: May 28, 2015

I rented two movies from Redbox about a week ago, turned them in the next day. They weren't late, because I checked them out at midnight the night before. Turned them in at 11.00 that morning. I tried to buy my lunch, only to discover that my balance was low. Turns out they charged me 13.26 for two movies. 1.50 a pop. That's 3.50 folks. It should have been about 7.00, not 13.26! I didn't get to eat that day because of this. No longer going to rent Redbox...

Original review: May 28, 2015

Redbox over charges for movies. It has been my experience that my bill is inflate. Upon contacting them, they try to explain something that makes no sense to them, more or less me. They should really be investigated. They are taking money that is not theirs, banking on people not challenging them. I am done with them forever.

Original review: May 27, 2015

On more than one occasion Redbox has taken more money off of my visa card than what was authorized. I only use this card for Redbox so it couldn't have been a late charge for something else anyways. I put $20 on my card at a time. I had rented some movies previously and returned them. I checked my card balance I had $8 and some change. Rented two more movies one with a promo code that was buy one get one. Free my balance shown on the checkout screen was $1.65 which was correct.

I returned the movies the next day and wanted to get another but when I tried it wouldn't go through so I called my card and my balance was now at zero. So I called Redbox and the lady told me that it was because when you swipe the card more than once it charges you some type of charge I don't know what the lady called it cause she was not from here anyways. She told me that in 24hrs the money would be put back on my card and I have gotten nothing. Redbox needs to shut down and blockbuster needs to return. Blockbuster never stole my money and always had a lot of movies and games and great deals. DOWN WITH RED BOX!

Original review: May 16, 2015

I contacted call center to inquire info on what I thought to be duplicate charges. The guy was extremely rude. He said, "If you had paid attention, Redbox can't charge until you return the movie". Really pissed me off! Will not rent again!

Original review: May 12, 2015

Why is Redbox trying to charge me charges that my bank has no documentation of? I've did what they asked, I had my banker on a 3 way with Redbox. There was still no resolution. The supervisor ** said for the next few weeks, to make sure I made sure there are sufficient funds for them to take what the bank has no record of??? She refused to help me understand what was going on, she kept repeating the same thing over and over making no sense. I love Redbox but this seems like fraud and it sounds as if they are trying to authorize my card without my consent.

Original review: May 10, 2015

So I was charged for three movies, full price, when I returned them with two other movies. They said I put them in the machine wrong so it didn't register. I don't know about everywhere else but here it will not accept if put in the wrong way. So now I owe $99 and I am getting a $40 reimbursement AFTER I pay the 99$ for the movies I no longer have. Screw Redbox. I have no movies from them and yet they still take money. I almost want to cancel my card because of it.

Oh and every time I call, nobody knows what the person before them told me. I'm tired of the BS. I'm surprised they have gotten by this long. This was the first email I got on the 17th of April and still have not received my money. "Hi **! After reviewing your info, I've begun processing a refund in the amount of $20. Please note that the initial charge hasn't gone through yet. Once the charge goes through, it'll show up in your account. The refund will automatically start to process. Please allow 5-7 business days before the refund appears in your account." Nothing!!!

Original review: May 7, 2015

I ordered a movie, paid online, went to pick it up and the machine wouldn't accept my card (which was good as I had just used it to order dinner). Redbox will not refund - they were willing to give me extra day to go back but I didn't have time to return next day and play with the machine again. So they gave me coupon for free movie which was only good 45 days and since I had to go out of town, that didn't help me either. Moral is, I will never pay them in advance again.

Original review: May 5, 2015

So, we have been struggling financially for a long time, and I finally landed a second job, which is practically a miracle in the Phoenix economy! So, I was super excited, and we just so happened to have free movie promotion codes. I've really been wanting to see Big Hero 6, and we were so excited about the job that we were going to splurge on some good food, bring it to the house, and enjoy a few movies! Well, we hunted for it last night. No availability anywhere nearby! Yeah, middle of a 6 million people city, and no availability! 13 kiosks nearby... So... we tried again tonight. We had stuff we had to do all day, so at 10:15 pm, we finally had time to go pick up the movies and watch them! We were super excited, and we made an online reservation! It said online the movies we wanted, especially Big Hero 6, were available about a half mile away, at Walgreens! We never go to that Walgreens, but we were going to to pick up the movie.

10:15 pm, reservation made, with promotion codes. 10:20 pm, get in the car, 10:25 pm, arrive at Walgreens. Apparently, this Walgreens has the kiosk INSIDE the store, and the store closes at 10 pm. So now, here I am, furious and disappointed and my whole night is ruined! Second night in a row! I can't cancel the reservation or switch where to pick up the movies, because the movie is "out of circulation" to other customers during the night it has been reserved. How the flying crap can it be out of circulation when the store is closed and the kiosk is inside?! They need to either have all their kiosks outside, so customers can get to them, or adjust the hours so you can reserve a DVD at a given location to the time that kiosk will actually be available! I have had a few problems in the past with locating DVDs, but this one takes the cake!

Last time, I tried to reserve online, and even though I had over $200 in my account, I couldn't get the reservation to work. Frustrated, I looked up all the nearby kiosks, and found the closest one that had the movie. I was there within 4 minutes. The movie was already gone! It took me almost 2 hours and 3 gallons of gas to find the movie I wanted last time, all because of their glitch! There was no reason why I couldn't reserve with my card. I bought drinks from Circle K with it, and it worked at the kiosk I eventually ended up at. I didn't write anything about it, as it was the first blood-boiling event, but this time I am furious! I was nice and ignored it the first time, but this is ridiculous! If I had the money, I would just go to Walmart and buy the freakin' movie! Some of you want to give them 0 stars, but I don't. I want to give them negative stars!

Original review: April 30, 2015

I look at my bank account and I was charged $3.21 for a movie I checked out over a week ago and returned it the next day.

Original review: April 29, 2015

I was told I had a free rental, which cost me $1 some odd change. All bs!

Original review: April 27, 2015

Reserved movies from Redbox. When I went to pick up the movies the machine was down for repair with no info as to how long that would take. Went to another Redbox to get the movies I wanted, called Redbox to report the issue. They stated that they were going to give me credit for the two movies I rented. Also 1 credit just for the inconvenience. When I checked my bank statement I found that I was charged for the reservation movies that I could not pick up as well as for the ones I was able to rent. When I called them they explained that I would still be charged for the reservation even though I could not pick them up. So what they did was give me a credit to rent later for 3 movies; but I still had to pay for four because I reserved them. Very bad customer for their maintenance issues.

Redbox Company Information