2. Miscellaneous

3.9/5 (635 ratings)

About Redbox

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I rented three movies on September 2,2015 and returned them on September 4th! A month later Redbox charged my card for $81.90. I called right away and of course they said they would refund it right away but it would take 5 to 7 business days! So 7 business days later I had no refund! I called right away and they said my bank only cleared $77.55 instead of the $91.90 that I did not owe at all!! So I would have to pay the $4.30 to make it $81.90 and then they would refund my money!!! I explained to them I was not paying more money I did not owe just so they could refund it right back! After arguing for a day and having to speak to a supervisor they agreed to refund everything but it would take 5 to 7 MORE days!! I will not ever use this company again and I strongly recommend that you do not either!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

I rented a movie and returned it. When I looked at my card info, they charged me another 20 dollars. I called customer service they said they wouldn't refund me. I asked to talk to the supervisor named Mark. He was rude, accused me of discriminating against him, talked down to me and still would not refund me. I will never use Redbox again. No one in my family will, my friends will not either. They are now boycotted as a greedy company with terrible customer service. I'm telling everyone about my terrible experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I've only used Redbox. The first time I used it I was okay and I accidentally lose the DVDs and then find them. I return them and when I do I find out redbox took money out of my card without my consent. Next time I rent I got five movies and let my sister use them and they forgot to return them so I drove to her house and got them and returned them. After I returned them I checked my card balance and it says -55.00. They charged $112 without my consent. This is completely stupid and I think it's fraud.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I rented two movies at the same time from the same location. I then returned both movies at the same time at the same location. Redbox charged me three something for the two rentals after I returned them and then about 2-3 weeks later, charged me $28. When I called, they tried to say they don't have one of the DVDs and I never returned it. They basically called me a liar yet they are the ones that charged me for two rentals and then charged me full price. They wouldn't do anything about it. This company is fraud and takes advantage of charging your account because they have your information. I will never get another Redbox again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

I rented 3 movies from Redbox and was also late returning them. When I first returned them I saw a charge to my debit card of about $12. On this past Monday there was a charge for over $59. I called them and was told that my card would only allow them to $12 and that is why I was charged the additional fee. Previously when we were late returning movies and were charged we were always refunded the fees. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM REDBOX AGAIN. I might as well go to the movies, it's cheaper!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

This was my first time renting a game from Redbox and from the customer service that I received I would say I am never renting anything from this place again. I went on Saturday to rent a Playstation 4 game and was told twice that I exceeded my limit. How is that possible if this was my first time? When I checked my card I saw two charges from Redbox. So I called customer service and they kept arguing with me that I exceeded my limit even though I mentioned multiple times that I never used Redbox before. I gave up and told them to refund my card. I decided to give it another try next day and again same problem. Customer support is very rude and not helpful. Even though they returned the money I will go out of my way to avoid Redbox in the future, it's not worth the time.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

I rented a movie (Gobbler) late evening yesterday. Put the movie in and it would not play.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

I left my wallet at a Redbox. The store reviewed the cameras and it clearly shows a Redbox employee take my wallet and put it in his toolbox. He left with and has yet to turn it into the store, police, Redbox and/or attempt to return it to me. In my wallet was almost $1000.00, my BC, va ID with my address, mine and my 4 kids' SS Cards. Filed a police report as well as contacted Redbox only to be told I will receive a call back because there is no corporate number. **...

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

Went to Redbox to rent video game. Game came out and there was no cd in case, only photocopy of cd in paper. I call support, they take my information and tell me to put game back in machine. They charged me for the game after all that, no other solutions for guy on phone. So I paid to rent a game that was not in the case. I put it back in within 10 minutes of rental and they charge me after the guy on the phone from support told me to. Now I have nothing to show for it. They are probably going to charge me for the missing game as well. I will never go to redbox again and I suggest that you never go there either!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

My husband and I recently rented 4 movies the day we had to unexpectedly take our daughter to the hospital. Our little girl had been admitted for four days. We had completely forgotten about the movies with her being in bad health. We had racked up a $17 late fee. I called to see why and was thinking we had just rented them. They took off half of our late fee due to the hard time we were under with a very I'll child. Just wanted to thank them for the understanding of our situation!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2015

15 dollar charge for 2 nights - Rented 3 movies two night, triple charged.... and an additional "reservation charge" 2.00.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2015

I wouldn't even rate one star but it doesn't give that option. To start off with, I have never taken the time to write a review for a company. Redbox took a total of 3:35 minutes to resolve fraudulent charges to my account. They've claimed I've rented movies I've never even heard of, I have them out for longer than I do, etc. Three times I have been charged and refunded because I proved through receipts what I did and didn't rent. Most recent experience that sent me over the edge, two months ago I went to rent a movie at Redbox and it said my card was not authorized.

I immediately called to question in which I was transferred to the Philippines (previously I have gotten Canada, the Caribbean’s, and this center). It was like pulling teeth to get an associate to listen to you, although that's literally any associate you talk to. All they do is talk over you. When you finally push for a supervisor when they're tired of dealing with you they hang up the phone (happened 4 times that call, verified because the next associate said, "Oh yes they meant to transfer you but they hung up.").

Finally got transferred to... Lovely. After proving I didn't rent what "was never returned" to Lovely and explaining how this happened in the past and had to report to my bank that anything over a $20 charge to not accept (due to it being a false charge as time had shown) she recommended closing my account ON THEIR END and if I wanted to rent again use a different card.

Never rented again, even with a different card. To my surprise, two months later, three separate charges under $20 were made to my account to make up this charge. I called and tried explaining and spent over 3 hours on the phone and spoke to 10 different associates, five of which hung up on me. Half of them said they saw things in my comments. The other half said never existed in my account. They could never even find history of refunding my card? Scary! The conversation on their end went from "We never charged you today," to “You owe that amount,” and refused to refund me. To “you owe $51.28,” to a supervisor condescendingly talking down to me from the Caribbean, "Oh so you want a refund. See honey that's not how it works when you over $91.72."

They wouldn't even tell me what the charges were for because they claimed stating the movie title over the phone is breaking the law, true but not in this case, saying information isn't in the comments from the person that transferred you prior or saying what they read you off the comments isn't in the comment, but then it's there, but then it's altered, then they never said that, incredible!! I eventually got so fed up because each person saw different things, comments were erased, transactions clearly were made also that I had to call my bank and cancel out my card altogether.

I live in a small town that doesn't have weekend hours and I have to wait until hopefully Tuesday to have access again to access the money in my account. NEVER trust this company!!! Even if you save all transactions they'll make up their own story. I noticed previous small charges over the years to my card since I used Redbox. A lot that I knew I paid and they were double charging. They even charged my account in increments to be able to charge up to $21.38 because I told a supervisor that my bank won't allow over $20 charges at a time.

The first supervisor I spoke to today, Brittany, in Seattle Washington call center, claimed to be the "highest up I could speak to" then later when I pressed it Turned into "well, that you can talk to, have a nice night and thanks for choosing Redbox" as she slammed the phone. She also claimed that Lovely never existed and I never had that conversation when the following supervisor I spoke to said the comment from Lovely was there.

Bottom line - company has NO idea what they are doing, has the worst customer service I have dealt with, and blatantly charge for movies/time spans that are fraudulent. All it is is a runaround until you get too annoyed to stay on the phone but they kept adding to the balance of my closed out account and I feared they would continue to charge my card. I spent a lot of money at Redbox over the years.

Their employees have no respect. To push a 5-year customer to open an account to write this, to be so unwilling to help, and to make me have to cancel my debit card altogether and not have access to my account for days is UNACCEPTABLE. All in which was informed to the supervisors that I had no option in fixing (small town and the ATM is broke and no weekend hours). Ended up overdrawing my account and giving me a fee due to it being a small account I use for little things.

Supervisors say they can no longer assist but you cannot speak to anyone else or anyone higher and if you wish to speak to a different associate they will not transfer you. It's so your call number isn't transferred with the record so they can go in afterwards and alter it, I've learned from experience. Even when you think you're renting one movie, learn from my experience. It could end you a 5+ hour Friday night on the phone with the company, and a few with your bank to fix it.

If it wasn't for the fact a supervisor told me they add onto that charge and the automated system keeps trying to charge until it gets the amount and if denied it will try in smaller intervals up to 8 months, I wouldn't have even dealt with calling over the $20+ charge. It's the repetitive principle. Long term customer that used to swear by Redbox - I will NEVER use it again. No one will help you. It's up to you to fix the mess they put you in. Final kicker - I'm away seeking medical treatment in which was mentioned to each supervisor, disgusting company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I have been using Redbox for the past year. On July 22, 2015 I rented a movie and a game for my 10 year old son. Instead of Fallout the game that was rented, a movie called Serena came out instead. I immediately contacted customer service. They apologized and said they fixed the issue in the system and was even sent 3 promo codes to my email. I have checked out probably another 10 movies since then.

Today, I went to go rent a movie at the same location I always use and it said my card is inactive at their locations. I called customer service and was told I was charged 70 dollars for a game I never received, and the movie I received instead of the game -- that I returned the next day at 5 pm. First customer service rep hung up on me!!! Second rep was so rude to me and told me I still have the damn movie. Asked to speak to supervisor, got hung up on again!

So I called to check bank account and they charged me 70 dollars twice!!! Because they can't find the movie in their system? Called again was told I will be refunded 70 dollars after I make another payment of 70 dollars! What a ** scam! Now I'm going to have to go cancel and start a new bank account tomorrow or else they will keep charging me. How are they legally protected and how the hell can they keep doing this? I will tell every single person I know not to ever use a damn Redbox! This is robbery. I want my 140 dollars back.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Redbox took 78 dollars from my bank account when I haven't used Redbox in over a year. Then they took another 78, then I changed my card thought maybe somehow someone used it. No. Then they took 61.88. I went to the bank, they put the money back. Then Redbox took it back out. That was about 3 months ago. Today they took another 61.88 dollars. I still haven't rented from them in over a year, why is Redbox able to steal my money!!! Going to the bank money, having to cancel my whole account. I hate you Redbox, you owe me money!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I hate Redbox. I used to love it. But currently it has rained which screwed up all the redbox screens unless you went to wal-mart because those are inside. And because of that I'm now getting charged 50$ because I couldn't return my movies. I tried every single day for almost two weeks. I've called redbox support and they say I have to pay the complete balance before they can refund me. Which is complete BULLCRAP!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I have had so many problems with Redbox. Now that I read complaints from other customers I realize I am not alone. Tired of getting charged fees I shouldn't be charged and their continual rate increases. Redbox is a scam. If more people decided to boycott them as I have chosen to do, perhaps the company would give a damn and look into these complaints. If it wasn't for their customers they wouldn't have a business.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

I use to really like Redbox. I just had a horrible experience and they could care less. I rented two movies and returned them a little late but still returned them and now Redbox says I never returned the movies and charged me $55 for two movies!!! Which I did return! Now I wish I didn't. I will never rent a movie from them again! Since they don't care about their customers!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

I rented a movie one day for the children. I kept the movie in my possession one day over which was OK. I didn't mind paying $1.59 again. So I returned the movie, they email confirmation they received the movie. 2 weeks later bank alerts me not only did charge me $17 but overdrafted my account. Customer service lady hung the phone up in my ear. Called to speak to the supervisor. "Wasn't any in" was what I was told by the same lady who hung up the phone. Just awful.

Original review: July 30, 2015

I am not happy with Redbox. This is the second time they ripped me off. I rented the first time and they overcharged so I gave them one more chance and they double charged me and I had the DVDs back by the time I suppose to. ** them.

Original review: July 29, 2015

I've been dealing with Redbox for a long time now. In all this time my only issue has been the occasional skipping disc... until now. Yesterday I went to rent 3 movies that I have been waiting months for. I did my usual routine of reserving them, only to be told my account was not in good standing. I immediately went through all of my email receipts, and just as I already knew, everything had been paid with no balances owed. So I called customer service and explained my problem. My account was pulled up and she verified that I did not owe anything. She said she would get it taken care of and that she would send me a code for a free rental. I've received the code, but I am still unable to rent anything. This is very irritating.

Original review: July 26, 2015

I haven't rented from Redbox in a few years and decided to rent a movie through the app. I reserved it online and paid for it, picked it up the next morning and returned it by the required time and day. Well, two days later I saw a charged for another rental on my bank account. I only rented one movie. I will NEVER rent from them again. As I read the other complaints I am very surprised redbox is still in business despite ripping people off. Wish I could give negative stars but in order to write this review I had to pick one. Heads up people... Redbox is a damn joke.

Original review: July 25, 2015

Redbox stinks! Long ago, I had a problem with a movie and they refunded me right away and also said NOT to return the movie, so someone else doesn't get it. This time... rented 2 movies Friday night. Neither would play and I figured it could be my dvd player - nope, the discs were bad. I called Redbox and was shuffled all over the Philippines, called names, laughed at, ignored yesterday & today. It took 13 calls to get a refund and they want the movies returned. I said, "Won't someone else get a bad disc?" They said, "It's their problem." I was sworn at by 2 supervisors. I will NEVER deal with this fraudulent lack of professionals again!

Original review: July 19, 2015

Future note for ANYBODY who rents movies from Redbox. DO NOT ** RENT FROM THEM! They are a ** joke and will rip you off! I reserved two movies to pick up at the only kiosk that had both of them that was clear across town. So I waste my gas to go to this kiosk at a Walgreens, go to swipe my card to pick up my two movies that I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR mind you and the ** thing WILL NOT read my card. I call to tell them their ** isn't working and get told that my reservation cannot be canceled and that I will STILL BE CHARGED for two movies that their BS won't give me! RED BOX IS A ** RIP OFF! This is my first and LAST TIME I will EVER rent from ANY Redbox ever again! ** REDBOX, BRING BLOCKBUSTER BACK!!!

Original review: July 13, 2015

On July 3, 2015, I attempted to rent 3 movies from the Redbox located at Walgreen's on 411 Highway in Maryville, TN. I ran my debit card, but the kiosk did not dispense the movies. I immediately contacted their customer service and the gentleman said he saw where I made the transaction, but did not receive my movies. He said he would go ahead and "take of it" so I would not be charged for it. In checking my bank account the week of July 6, 2015, the charge of $9.84 to Redbox appeared on my statement. I have made 3 calls in an attempt to get this credited. The first call I was told I would receive credit in about 6-7 days. I once again checked my bank account today, July 13, 2015, the charge is still there so I called again.

The first person I spoke with was so foreign I could never get her to understand what I was saying. She could never understand the last 4 digits of my card number nor could she understand my zip code. Suddenly, the call went dead.... I think she simply hung up on me. I called back and spoke with a girl named Julie. She tried to give me a pre-authorization number and told me to call my bank, give them this number and they would credit my account. The bank has charged my account for this and the only way it will be credited is for a representative in house to issue a credit and run it. What is so complicated about this? I am sure this isn't the first time this has happened, but why can't someone take care of a simple request?

Original review: July 5, 2015

I have been dealing with Redbox for three years with the same NetSpend prepaid card and I have not had any problems. I go today and take back the movies I rented last night and get new movies and they are now saying my card is no longer supported. I ever received an email or anything bout this new change and I am VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS CHANGE.

Original review: June 30, 2015

Redbox started with charging folk 1 dollar. And as progressively and aggressively raised their rates too ridiculously! The other day I got 3 movies, a couple blue rays, and a regular disc. Granted I returned the movies a couple days late. I was charged 23.27. This is **! I promise y'all I'll go to the movies or buy 2 dollar movies from the pawnshop first before I ** with Redbox!

Original review: June 25, 2015

Rented 3 movies, all were returned. Redbox deducted $25.00 from my account. I called in, they said it should be $30. I explained all movies were returned. She said I would get my $25.00 back after I put enough in my account to cover the full charge. Boy it would take seven days to get it back. How many other people have they done this to? You don't get a receipt purchasing or returning. You can't prove anything.

Original review: June 19, 2015

Strike one: The very first movie I rent from Redbox...doesn't play. I go online to see what to do about it, it says to make sure it is returned by 9pm and I won't be charged. You mean, 9pm tonight??? I just got back from picking it up tonight. Yeah, they meant tonight. Got charged for returning it the next morning. Even though I obviously did not watch it, IT DIDN'T PLAY!

Strike two: I give it another try. The third movie I rent from them, skips.

Strike three: I go to pick up a movie, the kiosk says there is a problem locating the movie and try again later or try another location. Pissed, I drive across town to "try another location". I have to swipe my card about 18 times until the reader recognizes it. It tells me I didn't reserve my movie there - sorry!. So why did the first location tell me to "try another location"??? What a colossal waste of time. Will have to see if they charge me for their machine malfunction. Either way, 3 strikes they're out.

Original review: June 15, 2015

We went to Redbox and rented three movies on June 13th 2015. Returned them at lunch time June 14th. They took more money out of my account saying I rented movies I never heard of or would watch back in MARCH OF THIS YEAR. Called them to refund my money but would not have to cancel my card again. I should have learned my lesson the first time. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM REDBOX AGAIN. NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE BANK, TAKE TIME OFF MY JOB AND GET A NEW CARD WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY THEY STOLE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND RED BOX. They need to bring back blockbuster and movie gallery. Y'all are nothing but thieves.

Original review: June 14, 2015

I returned the 2 movies, then 2 or 3 days later I get charged $39.95. I want and need my money back.

Redbox Company Information