2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: April 23, 2016

Rented two movies on Friday and returned one back the very next day and the other the day after. They have been charging me for a movie I returned an extra $29. Simply ridiculous. I've been renting movies for years. They said it's not in system. I will never rent from them again. They lost a loyal customer.

Original review: April 17, 2016

Redbox should check their products. And when a fellow customer messed a DVDs up and makes it not viewable they should charge them. I wasted my money renting these DVDs tonight. And now it's stuck in my DVD player. Don't rent Redbox movies!

Original review: April 13, 2016

I usually don't write reviews but this is for people out there who rent from Redbox. Please watch your bank account after you rent a free DVD with promo code because you will still be charged at some point. Customer service will hang up on you first because that's what they did and will not try to refund your money. They are rude on top of that. Thank you Redbox for losing us so we will no longer waste our time and money. This was our experience.

Original review: April 7, 2016

Will never rent from Redbox again. I rented 2 movies one Friday night, returned them the next day, was charged $16.00! When I called to find out why, I was told the movies had not been returned until 5 days later! So disappointed - customer service just plain rude. Kept asking me if I was sure the movies had been returned the next day. Ummm, yes!

Original review: April 1, 2016

This is a terrible business and even worse customer service. Can't expect anything good from a terrible business though. One thing is certain that this business does not care about its customers. Called customer service to find out what they charged for lost blurays and was told it was 74+ because they were two. The employee (Antoinette) if that was even her name was rude as hell. She said I should have paid attention to what I was renting and agreeing to. When I asked to speak to manager she put me on hold then just hung up. It is ridiculous for Redbox to be allowed to charge such a high rate for movies that are damaged or not returned. Brand new blurays are 25 and that's with extras not just one bluray disc.

Original review: March 31, 2016

I had no idea I would be charged $9+ for renting two movies and a game that was supposed to be free for the night. So I called customer service and they said I knew it was supposed to be returned by 9 p.m. Really?! This is a horrible service and I will no longer be using them. Stay away! And if you go with them, keep an eye on your bank account because they will overcharge you.

Original review: March 29, 2016

My experience is terrible and will no longer use Redbox. Recommending to everyone that there are better alternatives with companies that care more about their customers. Rented Ant Man on blu-ray and never watched it. Told the disc was damaged and will not eject from my xbox 1. It ruined my Xbox 1 and am still got charged $40.66 for the movie after I have called to tell them the disc was stuck before the rental due date. Now I am out an xbox and have to pay for a movie I have not watched or wanted to buy. I would have just bought the movie originally if I wanted it. Worst experience ever.

Original review: March 12, 2016

Disc defective and got stuck in my Bose player. Had to break the drawer to get the disc out and now Bose won't work. Redbox customer service says will refund the cost of my disc but doesn't care about the now broken Bose player. So I'm out 400$ for their defective $1 movie!!! Worst company ever. Will NEVER rent from them again. And want everyone to know rent at your own risk. They are recirculation, bad movies that break machine. They told us to just return this defective movie to the nearest Redbox apparently so it can keep breaking other's machines!!! What a joke.

Original review: March 8, 2016

I've been a loyal and repeat customer for years but due to the return policy I going to be leaving and using some other services. The return before 9pm policy should be reevaluated because that is not sufficient time. My suggestion is change the return time to 12 midnight. That gives us late night shift workers time to watch and return the movie without worry of being overcharged. This has been my only problem with Redbox and I've paid the late charges rightfully but it's just not good and I can't beat that time so I'm done with Redbox.

Original review: March 5, 2016

The biggest regret was renting from Redbox. They are so ridiculous that I don't even have any money on my credit card and it says - 3.00$ seriously. You need to fix your company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

I'm really disappointed in the poor customer service I have continuously received when I contact Redbox. I would think that the HR department would hire people with some type of proper phone etiquette, that isn't the case here. I have requested to speak with the supervisor numerous times, the closest I got to that was hearing a male in the background script the phone rep on what to tell me. I'm not sure what level of education these phone reps are required to have to obtain a job there, although I'm pretty sure a High School Diploma or GED are NOT required whatsoever. I'm sad to say that I no longer will continue renting from Redbox, I don't feel that a company should run this way and treat customers soooo poorly! Netflix and Hulu it is!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

On December 26, 2015 I rented 4 movies from Redbox, returned one day late on the 28th before nine pm. Seen a charge of $9.48 (Would cover for four movies one day late). On the fifteenth I seen two more withdrawals from RB: 01/05/15 = $11.49; 01/13/15 = 15.36. I called RB at 1-866-REDBOX3 & asked why two more withdrawals. They said being charged for a missing movie, never returned for a total of $25.76; I told them the two withdrawals are more than 25.76. He wanted to argue with me until his ** self used calculator, lol. Couldn't explain the extra $1.09. He said money would be refunded in one to seven days.

I looked back on account tonight 01/29/16, never refunded but now another charge of $25.85. I then asked why withdraws and not deposit. He said there's now two not one. For one if there was, why didn't you take out at same time, for two the movies WERE PUT BACK ALL ON SAME DAY! Argued for about twenty minutes till I told the idiot that the machine probably didn't read them back and someone else rented them, he looked it up and lo and behold they were and I'm getting charged!!! He did apologize. Said he refunded it, I asked for confirmation number, he said he could only give me one for the one he did today, argued he couldn't give other one. I told him I better see money in there soon!!!

When I notice the first two charges for the first movie I asked six reps for over a week to talk to supervisor and they would say hold and hold me on phone for varied times from 13-25 mins then hang up on me, EVERY TIME!!! This is how I know all the other people on this site complaining is telling the truth!!! This company needs another law suit, they think they can dig in our accounts, take what they please without permission or reasoning and don't have to refund or when asked to talk to supervisor they hang up. OBVIOUSLY WE KNOW THIS IS TOLD TO THEM TO DO CAUSE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM DO THIS!!! I'm going to get the news to look in it and investigate and see if they can hung up on them, THEN tell the world!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

I went to rent a movie and it offered free game rental so I added game. Then swiped my card and it said on way out. Then it stopped said error won't be charged. So I tried again this time just for a movie no game. It gave me movie so I left and I returned movie next day. Then I seen I had 3 charges so I called. They said they fix it. Waited few days. They fixed one so I called. They said still working on it so I asked if I have anything still out. They said no. About month later they charge me $75 for a game I never got. I called. They said I got it but I didn't so now I get to pay 75$ for something I didn't even get because of a glitch.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I will never use Redbox again. I called on Wednesday about a hold on my card that was for the same amount as my rental (The rental fee had already cleared my account). The representative explained that they put the hold on the account in case I am late returning the rentals, but that he saw that the hold was to be released on my account that same day.

Ok, no biggie. So today I check my card and the hold is still on my account. I call back and tell the representative what the last rep told me. She starts telling me that I had to wait 7 days from the day I spoke to the last rep. By this time, I'm more than a little upset. I demand to speak to a supervisor. She began singing "La La La!" (horribly) as loud as she could, and then put me on hold. Whatever possessed me to think she might actually transfer me to a supervisor is beyond me, but some stupid reason I waited on hold for 3 mins before she disconnected the call.

I spoke to Joanna. She was very nice. She offered me a free rental and I told her I would not be using your company even if you offered me a lifetime of free rentals. She promptly refunded the charge for the rental and gave me the authorization code to get the hold on my card released. Just praying it works, and that I haven't been lied to again. If you don't mind this kind of customer service, and that they put holds on your account for ridiculously long periods of time. Then that's fine, but personally, I will stick to my Netflix, Amazon, and renting from VuDu. I don't care if I have to pay $2-3 more. It's worth it not to have to deal with Redbox. Plus, between my streaming services I usually can find the movie I want long before Redbox has it, and sometimes it's already streaming free on one of the other services. So don't waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I rented 1 PS4 game and 1 movie from them 3 months ago. I returned them both the next day. They charged me for days rental and all was done until 2 months ago, I get a charge for $108.00. I called Redbox and they told me they would look into it. They never issued the refund or got back with me regarding it. One month passes, I call back. The representative I spoke with said that she would be able to issue me a refund of the $108 and they were going to give me $15 compensation for my billing issues. I said "alright". Another month passes and NO REFUND!!!

So I call back and speak with someone. They informed me when looking at my account that what was noted was that the representative said that I had agreed to a $15 per disc refund. Who in their right mind would take a $30 refund when they took $108 out of my account. So I informed the representative of what happened. Their response was "the most I can refund you is $50". So I am supposed to be getting $50 back from them instead of the $123 that they had told me verbally they would give me. I will NEVER use them again. They made $60 on a 1 day rental on a game and movie. How ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2016

I rented a movie from redbox that I had for two days and then returned. Then about a month later I looked at my debit card statements and saw I was charged $27. I called Redbox customer service to try and get my money back and after I sat on hold for almost 30 minutes someone finally talked to me. I told them what happened and they were in no way helpful. She just kept telling me I was charged because I never returned the movie. I argued with her for a while telling her I did return it then finally she offered me a $10 refund. After we argued more about how that wasn't even close to what I was charged she offered me half of my money back and basically said there's nothing I can do to get the rest of my money. I will never use redbox again, this has happened twice to me now.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2016

I rented two movies from Redbox this afternoon, and Minions stopped working halfway through, it came up with a "Cinavia Message Code 3" warning, which means that the audio is not authorized. It was playing on a brand new DVD player, so the software isn't the issue. Not impressed. What a waste of money! I tried to make a complaint direct to Redbox, but I couldn't figure out how to. But from the ones I saw, LOTS of people have had big issues with them.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

On December 26th I reserved 2 movies online, and it wasn't until I checked out that I realized it had charged an old debit card of a bank that I no longer use (I haven't rented in a while but the credit union account of the card that was charged is still open with no funds in it). Obviously when I tried to retrieve my 2 movies using my current debit card, it would not work. I ended up renting the 2 movies anyway and paid an additional .50 cents because it was not an online reservation. When I got home I tried to cancel my reservation by calling customer service. I was told that there was no way to cancel a reservation even though they could see that I rented the 2 movies I had reserved. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told that I would be told the same thing. When I still insisted on speaking with a supervisor I was hung up on.

Now I have been charged a "cash advance" fee by my credit union for the $3.18 charge that has now been transferred to my credit union credit card. I tried to call Redbox corporate headquarters in Bellevue, Wa to discuss their cancellation policy, but was told there was no one in the corporate office to speak with. I was offered to be transferred to customer service, to which I replied I had already spoken with. I was then offered to leave a message with the executive office, which I did. If by some miracle they actually return my call because "my business is extremely important to them", as the recording says, I will post their response.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2015

Complaint after complaint. Time for the government to shut these thieves off. I quit using Redbox about 2 years ago and once again started to buy movies because $5.00 for a Blu-Ray is a great deal. I will not rent from them, yet this morning I wake to find a $42.00 charge on my bill. I called and they said I rented one. I said, "I don't rent from Redbox, I only purchase." Now! I will not even buy from them. I will pay $25.00 in store from now on. What a bunch of low life fraudulent and deceitful jerks. This is it. I will have nothing ever again to do with these frauds.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Redbox has scammed money from our cards as well. What we do now is use a green dot with only so much money on it and that way they can't screw us. My complaint however is this: I AM DONE WITH RENTING FAMILY COMEDIES AND HAVING TO SEE **! "HALL PASS", "UNFINISHED BUSINESS", "GET HARD" all show ** and I've had enough! We get together with our sons and their children to watch a show and have to go through this crap way too often. If people want to see it, they should have to go out of their way, I shouldn't have to preview the damned movie before our family watches it together and if it showed one time unexpectedly of course the damage is done already! OH, and in "YOU ME AND DUPREE" is doesn't show his **, just the disgusting action of Owen Wilson **! I really don't appreciate the trash! I'm going to post just this wherever I can whenever I can too!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

You look forward to watching the movie you just rented on the Redbox website and when you get there to pick it up something goes wrong with the machine. The only resolve offered is to drive to another location, pay again for another movie and chance not being able to get the movie you originally wanted. You get a credit for a movie in the future but the whole experience has already been ruined. Once or twice occasionally is fine but 3 times in a row is a problem.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

Redbox has charged my account over $90 since July when I rented 3 DVDs. To be fair, I had two of them for 4 days. The other, we returned immediately after renting it as it was scratched and skipped badly. My prepaid credit card charges a dollar every time you make a transaction. I receive text messages almost immediately when I use the card, letting me know my balance and amount of transaction. Therefore, it time stamps when I actually swiped card to rent DVD and when it was returned.

On my statement, there are random charges for Redbox that are not in sync with the account activity info. I haven't touched a Redbox since July. 4 days ago I was charged over $47. Upon calling redbox, I was hung up on three times. They insisted that it was from late fees that were outstanding. When I asked for details explaining how that's possible (considering my proof of when rented and returned), I was treated very poorly, accused of never returning a DVD that I have the evidence of returning.

I had to close another account back in 2010 due to outrageous Redbox fees. When trying to resolve that matter, I was told there were late fees, unreturned items or damage. I went back and forth with them until finally I just assumed someone had stolen my cc info and was using it. I cancelled that prepaid CC, got this one and this time I made sure to document every single Redbox interaction. These charges are inaccurate, exaggerated and illegal. Upon research I find that redbox has had at least two class action lawsuits resulting in a settlement of millions. I'm wondering, is this how a multi billion dollar company pays off those lawsuits? With millions of "customers" handing over their cc #s, it's no wonder a company that has such poor reviews and multiple lawsuits is somehow a multi billion dollar company and growing. A new lawsuit coming soon...

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I am so sick of this company stealing my money. I rented ONE movie last November and took it right back that day! Two weeks later I have a charge of $69 for a movie I did not return??? Anyways, my daughter rented two movies on my account. I was so not trusting them but anyways, again I brought BOTH of them right back the NEXT day AND took a picture with my cellphone. TODAY I check my account, 36.28 charged to my account. WTF. I will NEVER rent from this EVIL theft company again and as I type this I am so scared. I will cancel my CC just because they are so shady!! Do not ever give them your CC for any reason.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I've been trying to reach RB but so far I have not gotten a reply back. I rented 3 movies today and one movie was supposed to be 'Spy' but came out to be 'Pitch Perfect'. Someone switched the sticker on the movie and kept the movie 'Spy'. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Something must be done about this.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

No matter what you do, you just can not win with RB. If you rent ONE movie, you can rent another ONLY if it's horror or some vile choice THEY made. THEN after you rent that 1st movie and rent a good one of YOUR choice, only THEN you're offered their oh so great (right!) grand total of .50 cents off another movie. I will HAPPILY kick RB to the curb when I find another way besides going via tv or NFlix, just to have a great little movie for the weekend. REDBOX sucks!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I rented a movie on the 8th. I agree it's my fault I returned it late on the 9th. It was like 9:30 pm. So I was okay with another $1.23 charge. Today the 10th I looked again and I had another $3.27 charge. So I called. The guy was very rude and said "I know you returned it on the 10th that's why you are getting charged." So my response was "But I already got charged the rent fee twice. Why another one?" And he insisted saying that I kept the movie and that is why. I told him I'm not going to make a fuss about it but I just want to make sure I won't get charged AGAIN. His response was "Well maybe don't return it late." I'M SORRY BUT AT THAT MOMENT I JUST HUNG UP. I won't be going back to Redbox anymore if they're going to be charging unjustly. Unfortunately I didn't enter my email because they just send way too many emails out. So I have no proof.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

First off let me state that Im a long time Redbox customer. Years renting movies and games from this company have been a joy, but it also adds to my frustration. Today I went to Redbox, like I do pretty often on Tuesday afternoon. I used the Redbox app to locate which kiosk had the items that I was looking for. After driving some distance to get to the kiosk, I chose my items and proceeded to check out. I received an error stating that I wasnt allowed to rent video games with my card. Shocked, I called the number on the kiosk to speak to customer service. I was told that there wasnt a problem on my end but the company needed to look into the issue. I asked, "What issue?" As stated before Ive rented movies and games within 30 days with the same card. I was told that everything should be fine in 24-72 hours. I found this answer to be unacceptable so I asked to speak with a supervisor.

After being on hold for over 10 minute the call was disconnected. So I called back, went through the same questions and asked for the supervisor. He listened to my issue and put me on hold. After 4-5 minutes the call was disconnected. So here I am, gas wasted, lunch over, and I was still no closer to getting my items or had any answers on why not. When I returned to the office, I used Redboxs chat option. I thought that this way the call wouldnt get disconnected. I was told that Redbox was making some updates to the credit/debit cards that they would be accepting. I then asked for a list of credit and or debit cards that were updated and I was told that there wasnt a list. Again this answer was unacceptable.

Lastly I called Redbox again and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was transferred to someone and I proceeded to tell him about the issue. This would be the fourth time that I had to explain it, even though the customer service reps before stated that they were taking detailed notes. The supervisor then stated that no one in the company knows what is going on with the update and the reps were just telling me what they were told to tell customers. Again this answer was very unacceptable. All I want to do is rent items using this service like I always do for my family. If I, as a customer have done something wrong please let me know so the problem can be fixed. I will go on the record by stating that I rent from Redbox and always return my movies/ video games within one to two days.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

On Saturday, November 7th, I went to jewels grocery store and used your Redbox location 600 N. State. This is not my first bad experience, but I have had more good experiences than bad. This day I purchased the Avengers as a gift for my children and rented Paddington for my granddaughter. Just as I was about to check out I was rewarded with the option of a free game rental. I accepted the Maverick I think as my choice and awaited the arrival of my discs. Finally they started to come out and being the fact that I had my purse and many grocery bags I just proceeded to insert them in my purse without checking them.

I got home and unloaded everything, then sat down to watch Paddington first, it wouldn't play. I put in Avengers, it wouldn't play and then my son grabbed the game out my purse and said, "mom, the disc is missing." I almost collapsed. I could not believe that and starting rummaging through my purse. Pissed off I called in and spoke to Sam who tried to handled everything but continued to rush me off the phone by offering rental codes. I called back a second time because I had misplace Avengers just that fast. So I called back only to be given rental codes and rushed again by a male, not sure what his name is. Bottom line I am returning this crap today, 11/9th. I will not be using the free codes period. No thank you, Redbox. Charge me, I don't care, just go away.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I rented 3 movies from the Redbox and had turned my movies in 3 nights later. I noticed a charge on my bank account for $29 and then decided to call them and the gentle Michael that sounded like he was from some foreign country first said I had returned my movies 7 days later and I told him no I only had it for 4 days and then he said, "No you had it for 6 days!" I then said to him, "You said 7 days and now you telling me 6 days!” He then was rude and said I need to turn in my movies on time before 9pm!

I said I know what time I needed to return my movies. It only tells you on every Redbox machine what time to turn it in and then he told me to keep the conversation professional and I said to him, "MONEY versus PROFESSIONAL? You don't make sense! You taking my money like a theft is professional?" It’s okay keep my money, I'm done renting from Redbox! If you do decided to rent from Redbox just make sure you keep an eye out on your account.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I have called on 4 different occasion this last week to address the fact that my 'promo codes' are invalid. If I weren't an avid user I wouldn't care, but we do rent quite a bit and like to redeem the 'free rentals' when possible. Nonetheless, I remain on hold for 17-20 min before hanging up... They used to be such a great company. Don't know what happened but I will tell everyone I know and stop using them as well. Too many competitors to act like this. Also... NO email to contact them either!!! What a joke.

Redbox Company Information