Redbox

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Checked out a game from a Redbox kiosk. The previous renter put the wrong game in the case and transferred the sticker so he could get away with it. I realized it was the wrong game and called customer service. With extreme difficulty, I conveyed the issue to the customer service rep who offered me a promo code and told me to return the game and it would be removed from circulation. I called back, as I was not sure if the credit was in lieu of a refund or in addition. The second rep was just as difficult to understand, but I finally explained that I did not want the promo code, but I wanted a refund of the rental cost. This was due to the fact that I did not know when I would be free for a full day again to play a video game. She grudgingly told me that she would cancel the code and issue a refund. It would not have been such a customer service ordeal if there had not been a severe language barrier.

Accidentally used the wrong kiosk for pick up on movies I rented. They would not let me cancel. After online chat they credited me with two rentals, but it would not let me use them in town because I already rented them at the other kiosk in another town. They informed me that my rentals would expire the next day in which I could use the credits. I informed them it wouldn't do me any good tomorrow because I only have one day to watch movies. He said he couldn't do anything, have a nice day and he was gone. I will not, and I mean I will not rent from Redbox again. There are many other rental places in town.

I have never, nor will I ever, use Redbox. Over the last 4 months I have seen these charges appear on my bank account. I have called them on several occasions and they refuse to help me or do anything to stop it. They have looked up my debit card before and they "can't find anything" but every month there is a new charge. They tell me to contact my bank. My bank would have to change everything for this to stop. My entire financial life will be turned upside down if I do this. Redbox is a joke and a bunch of thieves. They refuse to help and steal your money. Stay far away from them. They refuse to do anything to help me or find a better solution. How can someone rent movies without a debit card. I have changed my info 5 times already! Ridiculous and fraudulent.

Redbox is trying to say I owe them money for movies I don't have. They will not give me back money they took off my card. They are con artists. They took my money and won't give it back. Their computer is wrong on the time I returned the DVDs.

I rented the new Star Trek movie. I have tried to return it in 3 towns 5 different kiosks. None will accept it! I called Redbox. The answer "Just keep trying" and they will just keep charging! I really don't have time to drive all over the country trying to return a movie! The customer service stinks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Rude, obnoxious company. I have rented many times with no issues. When I called to advise of an issue with a machine, they said they would issue me a credit for one movie rental. They did not mention this would expire in 30 days, so when I went to use the credit at 30+ days it did not work. I called and they explained, rudely, why I was at fault for not using the credit sooner. They used to be a good $1/night movie rental, but their attitudes have changed. Last $2.14 from me.

Redbox sucks! I rented some movies one Friday. Their kiosk dispensed a movie I didn't reserve. I called them, they gave me a promo code for the correct movie, and return the wrong. Of course it didn't work, so I didn't get the movie I actually reserved. Called several times to date. "Don't want your code I want my money for the movie I paid for but didn't get". Three weeks today I still haven't received my refund. They claim they have to get it then refund it. They got it the day I returned all those movies including the wrong one. It's not the lousy two dollars it's the principle. They are the worst. I'll never ever rent anything from Redbox. I've been a loyal customer for years, always returned their movies on time. If they try and charge me for that movie I never got I plan to have their behind in court not just for charging me for something I don't have but defamation of character and a whole lot of other legality I'll hit them with. I'll never do business with REDBOX AGAIN!!!

Taking a big breath as I write this review. Words can't describe how agitated and disrespected I feel by the unprofessionalism of this company. It is now November 2016 and the last time I rented from this company was back in July. The company says that I owe them DVDs that I don't and on top of that they have been charging my card little amounts at a time which I've recently now noticed.

I had the largest amount debit from me a week ago for $2 then another right after for $38 that same day so I called Redbox and started looking back at my bank account statements. Initially I spoke to this lady, asked for a manager but she said there was not one. I emphasized the importance of talking to one. She then placed me on hold and the line disconnected after being on hold for a long time. Then I called back and spoke with another lady who also said no manager was available. Advised her of already being hung up on and again demanded to speak with a manager. I disputed the amount with her, asked for a refund AND to have my card information removed AND verbally told her to that I do not authorize Redbox to debit or take out any money from my account. She told me that she has to put in a case to a specialty department to have my card information removed (??). This was on a Saturday.

Bright and early on Monday they processed another payment on my account for $9 something. I called again, spoke with another representative on Monday. That representative also stated no manager was available. I demanded to speak with one and finally after advising of the call being recorded and asking for their ID information "miraculously" they could find a manager. I was transferred to a manager who I said they were putting in a case to have my card removed. In the mean time I told her again that I do not consent/authorize to having my card debited or having money withdrawn. I called again on Wednesday to verify if my card was removed she said no and that they were working on it. I called my own bank who said I would have to come to the bank to fill out docs but my bank only opens late enough for me to stop by on Fridays. The plan was to complete the bank docs on Friday.

However... You probably guessed it! Friday they took out $2 from my account. Then a few hours later while I was still was at work they took out another $38. I was infuriated!!! I called back spoke with a rep who said the last manager I spoke with was unavailable. After telling her about me recording the call, asking for her ID info she somehow found a manager who I was transferred to. The manager apologized and said they were going to work on having it removed. I was so irritated and distracted by this conversation that I didn't have the time to head to my bank. The manager here confirmed all the times I called before about having my card removed and stating that I don't authorize any payments to the company. Towards the end of the call he gave me the number to the corporate office.

I called the corporate office about this issue and spoke with a lady who apologized but said that she could not refund me what was taken out. Instead, she said that she would investigate as to why my card info was not removed sooner. She even confirmed all the notes from when I asked over and over to have my card info removed and the notes where I said I don't consent to having my card debited but still said she couldn't refund the amounts taken out since she said they were valid (to her). I just looked at my account again and lo and behold, after talking to corporate I see that Redbox took out another $21 something.

Overall, I find it very hard to believe that it takes a week to remove someone's card information from their files. I can almost bet that if I called it wanting to replace that card info with a "better" card number the changes/updates would be made effective immediately however to actually remove a card seems to be for "some reason" so long and tedious. I also find it VERY STRANGE that the VERY week I call to remove my card information and state that I don't authorize payments be the very week the company "coincidentally" decides to take out the most money from my card account that they have apparently ever taken out in such a short period. This is theft. They saw my demand to have my card removed and they thus decide to milk my account as much as they feel they can instead of just removing my card altogether like I asked.

I am going through a lot of personal things and they don't know how much that money they took is having and will have a toll on me this month. Overall this IS* the WORST customer service experience I have ever had. It's also the most stressful one. You can't just take money from someone's purse (bank) because you feel they owe you money "ESPECIALLY" after they already told you NOT to take any money out. This company has some nerve. IF anyone has some advice on the situation I'm going through please let me know. I'm going to try and find legal advice on this situation because I really cannot allow a company to utterly disrespect me like that. Then I received this email thanking me for my payment. What disrespect!! Thanking me for a payment I told them NOT to take out!! Again if anyone has any information that could be useful for my situation please let me know.

I rented two movies at the price of $1.50 each and it showed as a pending on my checking and I understand their policy but why can't they charge a daily fee. Because I check my bank statement every day and would have noticed the random charge and would have remembered to return my movies. I am a very busy teenager who works every day and attends school while participating in other school activities. So remember to return movies would not be my top priority. But if I noticed missing money I would remember. So I'm very unhappy that I was charged $48 for two movies that in my opinion were not worth the money.

Redbox got paid 23 dollars which is all I owed had I been able to watch the movies I rented. Charged me 495. first day owed them THREE others. Couldn't call had no more number. They in turn charged me OVER 100 three months later. Asked for a credit for nonviewable movies I've paid for since January. They got their 2295 etc. Plus charged me another 7723 plus 10 dollars and DIDN'T credit that 8723 back. Just 50. I paid the 23 for four days and they RAPING ME FOR 30. DON'T use REDBOX. DON'T TRUST THEM. THEY TRACING WON'T GIVE A CREDIT FOR WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND CAN'T SEE.

I returned a disc on the 18th of Oct to find a 30 dollar charge on my card in Nov. I called customer service and they told me they could refund me 10 bucks. I had no choice but to take the 10 dollars back but I will not rent from Redbox again. I remember returning it to a local establishment but they can't see it so there is no fighting it. I will not recommend or go to Redbox again.

I have had it with Redbox. I'm on the phone right now with them and they're very rude, disrespectful, put me on hold for 15 minutes. I rented a game and a movie. Mind you I know you have to turn them in on time...which I did and I have been charged since April and it's October. THE REPRESENTATIVE SAYS I NEVER RETURNED THEM??? Clearly I did and since Redbox doesn't give you a receipt and my email was full I deleted a lot without paying attention. My bad. But then she goes on and says that "maybe you put an EMPTY CASE IN THERE. WTF HOW?? I'm getting my money back BY ALL MEANS.

All movie bought from the Redbox in Gaston county area are always scratched with fingerprints on them. I recommend paying the extra dollar and get one from the video store, where they can clean them for you if there is any scratches or get you a new video.

I rented a movie and returned it the very next day. It took 3 tries to get the machine to accept it. Now, almost a month later, I received an email statement charging me $26 for the video I returned. I contacted Redbox and they offered me a $10 credit. So they make $16 at my expense? I told them this is not acceptable and filed a dispute with my credit card company. I have rented from Redbox for years and not once not returned a movie. They lost a customer for good.

Received my credit card statement and saw that Red Box billed me $36.72 for movie we returned. Customer service gave the run around and basically said it was not their fault and would not refund the money. Apparently they put the blame on the customer and not their kiosks. I tried to elevate the issue to a supervisor and was never connected to one... they put me on hold and then the call disconnected twice! Horrible business model considering the disk probably cost them about $2. We will not be using Red Box as there are numerous online options. Be careful if you do!

I will never use Redbox again. We returned the three movies that were rented and now a few weeks later I was charged $36.00 for non-return of one of those movies. What they did was take $5.00 - $20.00 out every week. (Total was $36.00.) Please beware when you return the movies since they don't issue you a receipt of the returns. They will only take your money and say that one of the movies was not returned. I am so furious, I do not have the movie that I have paid for since it was returned. They have the movie and $36.00.

I called them three times and all they tell me is that they are sorry and that they will send people out to do inventory soon. Well that doesn't give me my money back. I just told them to block all my credit/debit cards in their system because I will never do business with them again. That is the last money that they will ever get from me or my family. Their service standards are poor and they are not to be trusted. Their system is not always accurate. And money comes before the customer. Many people do use Redbox but their customer return rate is low, and I definitely see why now. I should have listened to others when they told me not to use their services. Lesson learned!

Our family rents from Redbox frequently. I rented two movies back in August. We watched them and returned them the same day. As I was going over my bank statement I cam across a charge for nearly $30. I thought it was a little odd so I called Redbox. I explained the situation to the representative and then was drilled about if I waited at the kiosk to make sure the movie was processed. Now, to be honest after I stick the movie in and I see it go into the machine I typically walk away because the machine takes forever to go through its thing. I've done this every time and like I said, we always return our movies. The rep said there was no record of me ever returning the video. I told her I did and that I've never had this happen. She then said she would check the machine's records to see if the technician found the disk and someone else had rented it.

Well, no one has rented the movie. So therefore I'm listed as the last person to have rented it. I explained to her that I did return it and if they look at the account, I've never not returned a movie. At this point she got extremely huffy with me. I told her that this is unacceptable and that I would like a refund. She came back and offered me a $10 refund. But I know for a fact I returned the movie. She then asked me for my confirmation email. Well, like most people who have an email I'm bombarded with literally hundreds of emails so I do delete them (big mistake). After that she became even more rude so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Let's just say this man was probably the rudest supervisor I have ever spoken to. I have a background working in customer service centers so I know how people on the phone can be.

But I also know that when a customer is speaking to you, you never ever talk over them and argue, especially a supervisor. This man did nothing but shoot me down, talk over me. I actually had to tell him to stop talking over me and listen, and when I am finished talking then he could talk. I asked for the barcode on the video and that I will be checking on this with someone locally. I also told him that they were going to lose a customer over this and he didn't care. I really miss the days of when you could walk into a video rental store. It was so rare that these things happened back then, but all I ever hear about Redbox is how they scam you out of money. We will not be using them ever again. I'd rather pay DIRECTV 5.99 to rent a movie than to deal with Redbox again.

They charged not one but three of my cards multiple charges and multiple time equaling up to $90.00. When called and confronted about it they gave me the run around and fake transferred calls to the so called supervisor that sounded like the last person I talked to then if you get the point across they fed me a ** promise that my money will be added back to my cards but it never was. I really need a way to get my money back. I think everybody that has ever been scammed should take a rope or chain, wrap it around it and drag that ** down the street because they basically just told me today that they not giving me my money back out to go buy me some chains and rope right now so I hope nobody is planning to use Redbox in the Akron area, barberton area, stow area, cuyahoga falls area, Kent area, ravenna area, Cleveland area - ** any redbox kiosk. I see I'm ** it up.

I rented my movies in Jamul California at a $1.50 a day. I kept them for exactly 4 days. On the fourth day I took them back to Cameron corners which is in Potrero San Diego California. I should not have been charged more than $18 for the four days of rentals on the movies. It was only 3 movies. I checked my bank account and had a charge of $82.80. To my surprise they said that my movies had not been returned. I got very upset because I know for a fact that I return them to the kiosk myself along with two other movies of my sister. Now something's really fishy here. If I return 5 movies when I only had three movies and they're charging me $82.80 what the heck is going on. I do not think I'm the only one that's being ripped off by these kiosk owners and I think that we should get a class action suit going on against Redbox!!!

Is there anyone willing to go along with me to get an attorney to go against Redbox. This is a little ridiculous! I know that my $82.80 is just Petty change. This is ridiculous being charged for movies that I returned. I could see if I had them in my possession I wouldn't make such a big deal. I wouldn't even post it on here but I don't have the movies and I don't have the money to put out like this for movies that I don't even have! And I think that the kiosk owner probably thought that nothing would be said about it! For the fact that it wasn't returned to the right kiosk that it was taken out of! But I was under the impression that you could return the movies to any Redbox kiosk that there was!?!

Now they said that if you returned it after 17 days that you bought the movie but mine were returned within 4 days, not 17 days! I'm beginning to think that Redbox is a big scam for a lot of people that have their first time on Redbox but actually this wasn't my first time, it was my first time using this credit card! And my first time putting it in a different class than the normal one I put it in!

I rented movies for a friend three weeks ago and woke up to a charge of 81$ this morning from redbox because they cannot locate the movies. I have bills to pay and they have put my account in a negative. I was a regular customer, but I will never use this service again. Staff or management did not help or have concern with my issue.

I want to begin my review with an apology to the manager Kimberly if that is your real name for the call last night. When referring back to the bank it was a glitch in online system pertaining to my refund. I do not agree with the 9pm policy which should be changed at least to 11:59pm. Other than that the experience was decent. Thank you.

I rent movies from these Kiosks @$350 a year. I buy PS4 games when they drop to $8.99. I have never rented a game in my entire history. I purchased 3-4 games during September of 2016. I received ZERO E-mails regarding these purchases. I receive an E-mail in October stating that I have been charge $70 for not return a rental. No E-mails about being overdue or that I even rented it. The two movies I did rent were returned two days after rental. Customer service says they don't believe me. I don't use Redbox. They are not a customer oriented company -- even when presented with clear buying and renting habits.

On the 7th of September I went to a local Redbox kiosk outside a grocery store. I then hit the button to buy 2 different games and add them to the cart. One was 24.99 and the other was 8.99. All is well and I give them to my son for his birthday. Well on the first of october money suddenly just disappears from my account. It was not until 3 days later it showed up that it was Redbox. Normally I would have called my bank the instant I saw the money missing, but they took the money on friday after my bank closed for the weekend. I called customer service and the lady whom I could hardly understand proceeded to tell me that I had purchased the one for 24.99 but had supposedly rented the one that was available for 8.99 purchase.

The lady said that I should have gotten an email receipt which I did not. As well as I checked to make sure the money was removed from my account at the time I made the purchase initially via mobile banking, and the amount for purchase of both was taken out. The lady just kept saying she was sorry but I owe them a little over 100. And that is why they took the 21.71 from my account. She sent me an email and not only is there a 70 some dollar late fee charge on the game I thought I purchased, but they are trying to charge me again for the 24.99 game that was purchased. When I told the lady the price I paid for the game in question she told me the game was still 30 some dollars. How did it become that much when even their own website states the game is 8.99?

It became obvious I was getting nowhere with her. So I sent a very lengthy email to them explaining my irritation and dissatisfaction over the situation as well as the part of the email where they are attempting to double charge me for the one game and the over 7 times the purchase price in late fees of the 8.99 game which as said before was thought to be purchased at the same time. I have a witness that was with me at the time of purchase that agrees with my side of things (not that it helped the case any). I also added a screenshot from their own website of the game and the 8.99 price which directly contradicts what the customer support lady told me. If I could give less than one star I would have.

Save yourself a horrible experience and most of all your money. They have overcharged me 4 times and make excuses, and try to sneak it off again the next month, hoping you don't notice. Such a scam they have going on. Will never use the scam artist REDBOX again. If they ever take another dime off my card, I will retain a Lawyer and sue them for everybody. Hate the way companies like this are so dishonest and allowed to continue to pad their pockets. REDBOX is dishonest and proud of it. That should be their logo.

This is annoying. I rented a movie on the 20th of September. I returned it on the 23rd and I checked my account and they charged me 11 dollars after returned them which makes me mad. I use them because they are cheap. I will stick with Netflix now. Because Redbox just lost my business.

When it comes to the DVDs and the availability of them overall I have no complaints. What I do have a problem with is the fact that I turned my DVDs on time every time. It says to turn them in by 9 pm the next day and I did so. The last time I got a DVD was in July. So in the beginning of the month September I saw a charge from Redbox $9 and some change. So I called them and spoke with customer service who tried to bribe me into keeping the money they took. I asked her for my money back and explained their mistake and she says "I can offer you a free movie"? I told her "no I need my money back." So she tells me she can give me half of MY money back. If I truly owed money why would she bribe me and then give me half my money back. I will never use their services again.

I've been using Redbox for several years now, and I haven't had any real complaints because when I called in the past I would always get customer service in the US. And they always resolved the issue. Now when you call the 866-733-2693 you're most likely going to get someone in the Philippines, I called like 4 times and every time I was routed out of the country. I hate not speaking to a representative in the United States. The reason for my call was that I was charged an extra night since I returned at 9:02. I was promised by the representative in the Philippines I would not be charged for the extra day, but I checked and I was charged the extra day. Not that $2 is a big deal, it's the point that makes me upset. And what makes me even angrier is to have to speak to a foreigner in another country. Redbox please stop routing us out of the United States!!!

Three years ago I started using Red box, service was acceptable. In the last eight to six months, availability of new release Blu-Ray videos have dropped drastically. Red box offers the OLD DVD copies - instead of Blu-Ray discs. Last Ten times I've tried to rent a video from Redbox, the movie I want to see is either Not available or is only offered in the OLD DVD format. Movie choices: when I attempt to rent a movie from Redbox, the majority of videos available are satanic horror movies, that's fine if you're into that sort of thing; I'm not, in fact, I find them disturbing.

Also, trim some of the fat advertising of the rental procedures, I.e. advertising movie on the rental screen that's not going to be available for a month from now. I'm there to rent a Blu Ray movie disc quick, and so are the people standing behind me. Redbox, try following the business model of Chick-fil-A, family friendly, update & streamline your process.

I've read most of the reviews on here about Redbox and I see that lots of people have had a bad experience. I want to leave a review to say that my wife and I have never had a bad experience with them. No unexplained charges and no runarounds. Example: November 2014, we rented movies and a game on a Monday night. The following day we had one of the worst snowstorms in western NY history, upwards of 6 feet of snow in 4 days. Every single thing around us was shut down so needless to say, we couldn't get our movies back on time.

When roads reopened, we were more concerned with restocking groceries and getting back to work and we wound up forgetting about the rentals for around 14 days. One call to customer service with only one representative and they wound up, very politely, only charging us for the one night rental because of the storm situation. On top of that, they gave us eight, yes 8 codes for free rentals. All of them work. It was a great experience. They were very understanding and we rent from them regularly. We will continue to rent from them. Sorry for everyone else's bad luck. Thank you Redbox!

My work schedule is demanding, but I still like to get in a movie when I can. It's a little frustrating that they have these loopholes where one person can have a disk for 44 hours, and I'll have it for less than 24 hours, but we pay the same. It should be a straight 24 hours for a disk rental, regardless of whether or not it's before or after 9pm. I just wanted to make sure others are aware of this.

Redbox Company Profile