Redbox

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I'm really disappointed. I have been using since it open, every weekend we rent movies and games. This past Monday someone broke my car's window and stole all my valuables including my purse and I had my rentals inside because I was going to return them. I made a police report. I have contacted your customer service with this matter and all 2 times I have received no solution but only more charge in my account. The first person said I would have to wait till 17 days and would have to pay 25 dollars for each movie and maybe get a discount. Then the second representative said I would also have to wait 17 days and my charge would be of 37 dollars and there was not much they could do. Please can someone contact me with this matter ASAP. I have the police report and all the information that you need. I appreciated your time.

I have been purchasing Redbox movies for over 3 years. Not once have I kept any of their movies. This past March I rented 3 movies and returned all three on this particular day the machine was having issues. I could return the movies but could not get new ones. 2 months later I receive a 90.00 charge from Redbox... 2 problems with this it is now May and I'm just being charged and I returned the movies... I immediately called Redbox customer service who was rude to me, didn't answer my questions, sat silent on the phone, talked over me and I also spoke with a manager that refused to help. This was wrong on so many levels. This wasn't a small amount of money. This took from my children's mouths. I couldn't buy groceries.

They refused to listen but continued to tell me they can refund me 35.00 and then it jumped to 45.00. I'm being charged for movies I don't have... Why would you refund me back unless you know you are wrong as a company but I deserved all of my money back. Horrible company. Avoid them at all cost. You may as well buy a movie on sale. They will just lie and say you didn't return the movies and charge you 30.00 a piece on movies... Sad.

Redbox dispensed a different movie than the one we requested when making our usual online reservation. We watched the wrong movie and returned it. We are now being charged for not returning the original movie we reserved which we never received. Countless efforts to try to make them understand their mistake have failed.

I rented a movie from a Redbox machine that dispensed the incorrect movie. I watched it anyway and returned it the next day. The Redbox system accepted the return so I assumed all was good. I got a $27.00 charge for not returning the original movie and they didn't credit me for the return of the incorrect movie. So I called customer support and they refused to refund the amount. They weren't rude but they would not recognize that their system had an error and refund the money. I have rented thousands of movies from them since they started and this was my first bad experience. I will not be renting from them again.

I rented a movie on April 15th & returned it back at the same location. Today they send me an email that I was charged over $27 for not returning! I contacted them by phone & social media. Basically they are saying they have no record of it and the charges are valid! REDBOX IS A RIP OFF!!! Do not rent from them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

I recently gave Redbox a try. I returned a movie to a different Redbox location as they advertise and have been charged for the entire cost as they state I did not return it. I contacted the company and after a difficult conversation and request for a supervisor, I was told I would be given a refund for the video. They only refunded $10 out of the $27 charge. I tried to contact them back and they stated that they couldn't look it up because they were updating the system and they just disconnected. I want to let other consumers know of this experience so that they can avoid this service. Extremely disappointed and want to warn users.

Changed my primary credit card. Ordered 3 movies online using new credit card. They never acknowledged the fact by email that change was made. When tried swiping it a kiosk it would not let movies go. Called Redbox, they would not credit my credit card, but emailed me 3 promo codes to be used in 45 days. If it did not allow movies to render the first time, why would it work the second time? Why did they just refund credit card purchase. I wold never use Redbox again.

My husband and I rented three movies on 4/22 and we returned them the same day. The next day (today; 4/23) I get charged $14 for the two movies I already returned. So I called customer service to explain to them and one woman told me that they charged me extra to ensure payment and that it will get refunded automatically back to my bank. Okay. So I call again to verify that it will get returned, and another woman told me that since I didn't return the movies before 9 PM, I was getting charged extra. So I let her know about the other woman and what she said, and her story changed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and it took 10 minutes for me to hear anything from them. Long story short I'm getting my money refunded, and never going back to Redbox.

Credit card acceptance to box — Scanned several times... Not working. Told to try another location, but rented at same location. Running around trying to fix with some hard to understand foreign language! Finally received 1 credit for driving several miles and 45 minutes. Has happened several times. TIME FOR NETFLIX??

I reserved my movies online and went to the kiosk to pick them up. The kiosk was down so I sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes waiting on the phone for a representative. Once on the line I told her what was going on. She asked me to hold. And when she returned she asked me again what was wrong and the line went silent. I knew after about 44 seconds she had muted me so I waited for 2 minutes. After she didn't say anything I spoke and said that, "I know all of your calls are recorded and it is horrible that while calling to report an issue with your kiosk you play like an ass, don't say anything while muting the phone. I hope your quality team listens to this one." And she instantly hung up. I called back 5 additional times and the line disconnected as soon as a rep was on the line. With the last call I immediately requested to speak with a supervisor. She said she needed some basic info so I gave it.to her and she put me on hold.

When she came back on the line she pretended to be the supervisor changing her voice. At this point I'm pissed and tell her I just need your supervisor and then some guy named Alfred comes on the line. I give him the whole story and basically he apologizes offers a refund and says if I want to rent movies I will have to use a different card for payment. I ask him if there is any kind of discount and he says no. So I spent 45 minutes trying to let them know of a broken kiosk and I can't even get 1 free movie after all this. I dislike Trump but damn it would be nice to bring their jobs back to America. Redbox stop using cheap labor for your customer service they are giving you a bad image.

Got video yesterday, they charged for 3 days. Customer service told me not to worry about it. OK, right, scammers. They charged for two days and I closed my account and told them never to contact me again. Good riddance.

Rented a movie March 26. Returned the movie the same day. They are saying that it wasn't returned and that I have to pay 37.00 for this movie. I tried to speak with someone local but their customer service reps are first off hard to understand. This business has their customer service in the Philippines and no one local that can help dispute a debt. Ridiculous. I will never go to Redbox again. Worst customer service I have had in a long time.

I purchased a Blu-ray DVD online yesterday and had a credit on my account, so I ticked the box for "credit" and it applied the credit, yet I receive an email notification that I paid Redbox $2.13. What?! So I had a chat conversation with a rep. Although I used a credit, they still used my card and said the charge would drop off in 5-7 days. WHY ARE THEY CHARGING MY CARD IF I HAD A CREDIT. I SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CHARGED IF I'M USING A CREDIT! This company engages in very deceptive business practices and they need to change their policy before someone makes them liable for their actions! NOT happy!

Just as the other individual on April 4th in Austin, I too was charged for a DVD I returned on April 1st in Austin. I argued sooo long stating I did in fact return two that day and it only recorded the one. They charged me $38 flipping dollars and said they would credit me 10. I DON’T WANT TEN MEASLY DOLLARS. I WANT ALL OF MY $38. I WAS WRONGFULLY CHARGED! Never again!! Used to use Redbox frequently but now likewise it's Amazon Prime Video.

Long story short. I love my movies. I spent $2300 with Redbox last year. I love the concept, the value of the product and the fair pricing. However, their customer service team is horrendous! I lost my debit card. My bank put a freeze on it for me. I found my debit card. My bank unfroze my card. It works everywhere EXCEPT Redbox. No problem, I thought, I'll just call Redbox and have them reinstate my card. The first time I called I was on hold for 5 minutes. The gentleman was nice, he asked for my card number, my name and my zip code where my card is issued. I gave him the information and he told me that my card might not work tonight but by tomorrow at the least my card would work.

I tried for the next four days and still no good. I called again, I waited on hold for 18 minutes! A lady answered and I could barely hear her with her children screaming in the background. She told me that in order to rent from Redbox again, I would need to cancel my card, get a new BANKING card and that was the ONLY way to rent movies again. When I disagreed she told me to GET OVER IT!

The next day, I called back hoping to get someone else. On hold for 16 minutes! I'm guessing it was the same lady due to the children in the background, curious, I explained my issue again. "No problem sir, your card might not work today, but will be back on tomorrow at the latest." ALL I WANTED WAS MY CARD REINSTATED, A CLICK OF A BUTTON ON A COMPUTER! That was a week ago. I don't know why but I would like to remain a customer. Mainly because it's a cheap way to have a family night with my children. I can't imagine how many customers/revenue Redbox has lost who aren't as patient as myself from nothing more than dealing with a customer service department. Sad shame.

Constant problems with renting, returning, bad promo codes, you name it. When you call customer service it takes forever to get through and when you do it's to someone with a very thick accent that's hard to understand. Lots of reading from a script and spouting empty bs lines at you. Chat help is even worse. Totally unhelpful and borderline rude. A few years ago customer service was actually helpful and you had the option to email the company with any problems. They've removed that option and obviously moved phone customer service out of the country. You couldn't pay me to use Redbox even one more time. Totally not worth it - I'll gladly pay a few more dollars to rent through Amazon Prime, a company with amazing customer service. Redbox could learn a thing or two from them.

When you go to a kiosk to rent a movie it doesn't tell you anything about time limits or anything to do with that. If you go on their website it gives the information, but that doesn't help much when you don't see a need to visit the site. They added the full charge to my account for a movie rental without any sort of warning about it or reminder. I feel like there should be something additional than a confirmation e-mail - maybe some sort of reminder that your rental is about to expire and you have to keep the movie. It's not like the disc is in great condition and I could've bought the damn thing for less through Amazon. Thank you Redbox for giving me a reason to going back to a better company and not wasting another penny on your worthless company.

I tried to sign in today. I've had the same email and password over 2 years. Could not get in. It kept saying wrong password. I haven't logged in my phone so it wasn't a long wrong password. Now I am blocked for 30 minutes. I decided to call the rep. Well they were no help. They said all you have to login on a computer. I don't have a computer. I've been logging in on this Samsung tablet for years. I do everything on my tablet no issue. Now I'm upset. Called back I said "is your site down. It's not working." "No you need a computer." They don't know what the world is talking about.

The customer service is the worst. They have no answer to your questions so they blame it on whatever you're working with whatever your phone or your tablet. Next they will be blaming the computer. I don't understand how these people get jobs when they do absolutely nothing. Let's put real people in there that know what they're doing and how they fix an issue or at least be honest. They sound like they would half asleep.

I purchased a movie from a Redbox at around 7:00 pm. Around 2 am in the morning one of my other debit cards that I NEVER use before at a Redbox got charged two separate transactions. One for 13.00 and another for 83.00! I was pissed!!! I called the 1800 number and tried to explain that I never use that card to purchase a DVD and it was like talking to a brick wall!! I was told that it was because of late fees. How in the hell does 100$ amount from a 1.00 movie rental. I asked how much do they charge for a late fee and couldn't get answer. Maybe she did, I just couldn't comprehend what she was saying!!! They should have people on the phone that speaks fluent English!! If owed anything I should of been issued a billing statement explaining those so called fees!! Only the IRS should be allowed to take money out of your account without your consent! I disputed the charge and canceled my card. I doubt I will never get my 100$ back.

Save yourself from the nightmare of renting from Redbox. I thought I was renting from a safe place but I was fooled. I rented a couple of movies for family night. I had no clue as to what was to come. After a couple of days I get a charge on my bank card for $89. After countless phone calls and 30 min on hold I was able to speak to a so called manager which she said there was no record of the movies being returned. After a few minutes of back and forth she offered to return $30 so I said, "Since you're charging me $89 bucks for a movie that I don't have can you send it back to me since I bought the movie." She slipped and said one of the movies I returned was rented out today. Remind you she said I didn't return the movies. People don't do it to yourself. Save yourself the time and trouble and buy the movie on demand.

I should've learned my lesson when I had problems renting from them before. I was charged for 3 days even though I returned the DVD's on the 2nd day! Plus, one of the DVD's didn't work. When I called to complain, the rep gave me 2 promo codes. One of them didn't work. When I called Again, another rep said he couldn't give me another promo code. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he couldn't transfer me and that there's no way for him to do this. I've asked again to speak to an American rep or Manager and he hung up! I called one more time and the same rep answered and said he couldn't transfer me to a manager - What?! I recorded the entire conversation and plan to send this to my attorney friend so he can send it to Redbox. This is Ridiculous!! Never again, Redbox. I've told my entire family (believe me, there's plenty of us around) NOT to rent from you. Crazy!! DON'T Rent from them!!

I haven't rented a Redbox movie in months but they continue to take money out of my account. I've asked them several times to stop stealing from me. Their thievery is bouncing my account and I'm sick of it. I'm tempted to file charges of credit card fraud.

I have had trouble with movies being unwatchable as of late. I lost a movie this week and they are charging my credit card $25.50 for the movie which is an unfair price for a used movies. I got online to chat with customer service and they just said basically that is the way it is, regardless that I have been a customer for years and never lost one movie. I understand it is fair to charge someone for a lost movie but not such an outrageous price. The agent ended the chat abruptly before I was finished with my questions. Very rude customer service. I will no longer use Redbox and go for Netflix instead who has much better customer service. I want to warn others.

2 out of 3 disc rented in one week from Redbox did not play. First time I waited 27 minutes to talk to someone. One credit was issued. Second time same week, waited 27 minutes in line. One credit issued. Redbox makes it nearly impossible to reach them and when you do they do not repay the consumer for the time and trouble. One credit is not satisfactory. I hate Redbox and will never purchase another one.

I rented a game for my son and when we got home he realized he already had the same game (It was Call of Duty Modern something. I think there are a billion versions of this game). Anyways we returned the game the next evening and did not think anything else of it. Several months later I am charged $75 and some change from Redbox. I call customer service. I explained the situation and they rep gladly processed the refund and told me that it was an error on their part and that it would be handled. Weeks go by and no refund money from them at all. Calling customer service and trying to explain this is a complete JOKE and they do not take me seriously!!! Now they are refusing to give me back my money at all due to an error on their part! Redbox will never have my business again! They stole my money and are refusing to give it back! They need to be shut down!!!

I was given a gift card for Christmas - yay with the experience I've had they should have kept their money. Gift Card - You can only use it if you log in through a desktop. You are only allowed to get 2 movies no matter your remaining balance. I don't think they have those rights. It's my gift and I didn't ask for it just stuck with it. Such an issue I rarely even use it. Today I decided to rent 2 movies for my granddaughter and 2 for me only to be declined as they only allow 2 movies per day with your gift card. They have no right to hold my gift card hostage. It's not their money someone already paid for it so it's mine unless they would like to completely refund the transaction and then they can control whatever.

I've been renting movies from this company since they opened their kiosk boxes in our town. I've had many issues with boxes out of order when I get there to pick up or return. I'm not a happy Redbox customer since they want to control my gift card which I never asked for and the next person that gives me one I'm gonna tell them the thought was nice but keep the credits for themselves as I rarely access a desktop and refuse to allow someone to control my money or purchases. I would tell them but they clearly don't care. I'm not even sure these people are in the United States.

I just want everyone to know about a policy that Redbox has. A month ago my bank card was compromised and used at a Redbox out of state. The bank canceled the debit card and all was good... until I was charged $145 on my new debit card for games that were never returned! I called the bank and Redbox. Redbox told me their policy is if a card has been closed it will automatically try to link to a new card associated with that customer. I don't know how this is possible or legal, but beware of Redbox!

I usually rent DVDs all the time from Redbox, and they charge me separately for each DVD plus charge me for the entire transaction. Then several days after returning my DVDs they finally give me my money back and only charge me for the total transaction. I rented on the 25th of January, and was finally charged on the 13th of February, I was trying to figure out why I was charged so late, thinking someone else used my card. So I call and the lady (that barely spoke English) told me that's how their card system works. But the charge for the 25th was from when I rented on the 20th. So how is it that I get charged after 5 days for one transaction, but it takes them 19 days to charge me for another??? I don't know any card system that does that. They are ridiculous and I will never use them again!

First of all, I am sick of trying to communicate with someone who cannot speak plain English or cannot understand me. Second, I always get cut off when I try to speak with someone. Now they removed the only box in our town and there is no other boxes within 50 miles. And finally, the dvdx they have seem to be "Rental Only" meaning there is no extras in the DVD. I have tried numerous times to cancel my account but cannot. I finally called someone who spoke decent English and she said my account was canceled, but when I asked her how come I can still log in on their website, she could not answer. They are stupid and never again will I support them.

They charged me for movies that I returned the day after renting and now are telling me that I have to pay the balance off before they will refund my card. It was their mess up and my card was charged for 5 days worth of movies that I only had overnight. I could barely understand both of the ladies I talked to and am getting a complete run around. I will NEVER rent from Redbox again.

Redbox Company Profile