Redbox

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our card was somehow used in a different state at a Redbox machine. We immediately notified Redbox and our bank. The card was canceled and we were assured that the issue was noted on our account. A few weeks later we received an email charging us $54.70 for unreturned movies that we did not rent. We immediately reached out to Redbox to again notify them that these charges were fraudulent and to remove the movies from our account. They confirmed via a supervisor that they would remove the charges and the movies and an email was sent after the call as a record. Then a few days later they charged us for that amount!

Redbox contacted Visa for our new card number, which for some reason was given to them even though we had removed our info from our account. When contacting Redbox yet again they promised to resolve the issue and surprise, surprise these movies are still on our account. Literally, the WORST customer service I have ever received. They should be embarrassed on the sheer level of incompetency from their CS department.

I rented a couple of movies in December for 2 days and returned them. After my movies were returned, I started noticing more and more charges. I called and spoke to an representative. He confirmed that the movies had been returned and any pre-authorization charge would go back on my card 7-10 days depending on my bank. So after charging my card twice for pre-authorization, I'm still waiting. Then they charge my card again for renting the movies. I looked at my account today, I've been charged again for movies I don't have!! I called the complaint line. Waited 10 minutes to talk to someone. Gave the representative the last 4 digits of my credit card, my zip code and my name, she hung up on me.

Called back, wait another 10 minutes, asked to speak to a supervisor, got hung up on again, called again, wait another 10 minutes. Finally got a hold of someone so I can wait another half an hour for the supervisor, so she can hang up on me again without even talking to me! Great customer service. So tired of being hung up on without solving my issue. I has to notify my bank of issue, so I can dispute the charges. These people are ridiculous and rude! I don't understand how this company is still in business and why some of these still have jobs! I will NEVER EVER RENT from again!

I too have been a victim of this company and their nefarious business practices. I have been doubled billed and I have called them and complained to no avail. I resolve the issue by contacting my bank. They are outsourced to some Third World sewer! No one seems to have full comprehension of the English language! Do yourself a favor and never rent anything from Redbox!

I've been a Redbox customer for a few years now, mostly Netflix (but they've bombed as well) and during my faithful few years, I have experienced a rollercoaster in Redbox in terms of movie quality. Firstly, as time has gone by, I have noticed that Redbox seems to be taking a liking to crappy ripoff movies that aren't worth the rental fee. Secondly, I have noticed many movies returning to Redbox that are themselves NOT "NEW" (as Redbox tags them in the selection list). Redbox, there are NEW movies, and then there are RETURNING movies. Thirdly, I rented "Amityville Terror" and noticed that Redbox had its release year as 2017 when this movie was made at least about a year ago, AND Redbox dubbed it "NEW". Holy **, Redbox. Stop ripping your customers off; stop putting ** movies in your rental machines; and stop dubbing old movies as "NEW". WTF happened to you guys???

I had rented 2 dvd's from Redbox about 2 weeks ago and I kept forgetting to return them. Well now I look at the account and Redbox charged me almost 65 dollars for not returning the DVD. I'm sorry but I'm done with them. I'll wait till it come out at Walmart and places like that to get it than being charged 65 dollars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

I will never rent from Redbox again! They have the worst customer service I have ever come across. After 3 phone calls and 5 chats my account issue was not resolved. Every contact I spoke with gave me different and/or conflicting information on how to solve problem. On December 1st I realized my account was set up with an old email that I did not access. I did not remember my password to access account to change my email. They will send you a link to reset password but in my case it would have went to an email I could not access so I called - after explaining this issue numerous times I was told my only option was to contact the old email provider to get the passcode Redbox sent me.

The next day I called again and told the same story again and was told to just make a new account. I did that but my payment card was tied to the old account so I could not add it to new one... Called yet again and was told that I needed to edit the old account before adding to new one - IF I COULD GET INTO THE OLD ONE I WOULD NOT NEED TO BE MAKING A NEW ACCOUNT - right? Wrong... After numerous days I finally was able to gain access to my old account, without any help from Redbox, managed to delete the card but still could not add to new account. Another call and I was told the old account had to be deleted by Redbox then I could add the same card to the new account. I tried accomplish that many times over the next two weeks but was not successful.

The next customer service contact told me that my old account had been deleted per my request and to wait 3-5 business days and try again. Still did not work in that amount of time so I contacted them again and now was told that once an account is deleted none of that information can be used again. Last week I could access the new account but could not rent due to no payment card - today I cannot even access that account. When I called today I was told that account had been deleted also! Even if I wanted to do business with this company I would not be able to set up a new account unless I got another new email address and a new payment card. After close to a month of trying to resolve this issue I am frustrated and disappointed in Redbox and what they consider customer service. Beware! Years of loyalty with this company will count as nothing with them - they do not care if their customers are happy!

Pick up game for my son PlayStation 4 rental and discovered I given a different game on Xbox. Call customer service and spoke to three reps and one supervisor. To look in my email and still not have my credits promised. Unbelievable company!

Redbox took 29.20 from my account for movies I rented and returned a month ago. They say the movies were not scanned and so they did not get them. They offered 10 back, so now I have 20 less in my account and NO freaking movies. These movies go from Redbox to my car to my home, I watch them, I take them in my car to the Redbox and return them. That is what I have done for 15 years now. I guess they thought that all of a sudden after 15 years, I decided to just keep a movie and be charged way too much for it. Either their scanners are bad or their employees are thieves. NEVER, EVER AGAIN. If you use Redbox make sure you get a picture or a written receipt or the next time they want to increase their profits, you're screwed.

I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with Redbox. They told us that we didn't return a movie, when we DID. We even have the email showing the day we returned it. They promised us our refund within (4) business days and now they keep pushing it out to 7-10 business days. Why does it take SO LONG to refund us OUR money that we DIDN'T SPEND?! You guys will NEVER get our business again. Trust that.

Checked out a game from a Redbox kiosk. The previous renter put the wrong game in the case and transferred the sticker so he could get away with it. I realized it was the wrong game and called customer service. With extreme difficulty, I conveyed the issue to the customer service rep who offered me a promo code and told me to return the game and it would be removed from circulation. I called back, as I was not sure if the credit was in lieu of a refund or in addition. The second rep was just as difficult to understand, but I finally explained that I did not want the promo code, but I wanted a refund of the rental cost. This was due to the fact that I did not know when I would be free for a full day again to play a video game. She grudgingly told me that she would cancel the code and issue a refund. It would not have been such a customer service ordeal if there had not been a severe language barrier.

Accidentally used the wrong kiosk for pick up on movies I rented. They would not let me cancel. After online chat they credited me with two rentals, but it would not let me use them in town because I already rented them at the other kiosk in another town. They informed me that my rentals would expire the next day in which I could use the credits. I informed them it wouldn't do me any good tomorrow because I only have one day to watch movies. He said he couldn't do anything, have a nice day and he was gone. I will not, and I mean I will not rent from Redbox again. There are many other rental places in town.

I have never, nor will I ever, use Redbox. Over the last 4 months I have seen these charges appear on my bank account. I have called them on several occasions and they refuse to help me or do anything to stop it. They have looked up my debit card before and they "can't find anything" but every month there is a new charge. They tell me to contact my bank. My bank would have to change everything for this to stop. My entire financial life will be turned upside down if I do this. Redbox is a joke and a bunch of thieves. They refuse to help and steal your money. Stay far away from them. They refuse to do anything to help me or find a better solution. How can someone rent movies without a debit card. I have changed my info 5 times already! Ridiculous and fraudulent.

Redbox is trying to say I owe them money for movies I don't have. They will not give me back money they took off my card. They are con artists. They took my money and won't give it back. Their computer is wrong on the time I returned the DVDs.

I rented the new Star Trek movie. I have tried to return it in 3 towns 5 different kiosks. None will accept it! I called Redbox. The answer "Just keep trying" and they will just keep charging! I really don't have time to drive all over the country trying to return a movie! The customer service stinks!

Rude, obnoxious company. I have rented many times with no issues. When I called to advise of an issue with a machine, they said they would issue me a credit for one movie rental. They did not mention this would expire in 30 days, so when I went to use the credit at 30+ days it did not work. I called and they explained, rudely, why I was at fault for not using the credit sooner. They used to be a good $1/night movie rental, but their attitudes have changed. Last $2.14 from me.

Redbox sucks! I rented some movies one Friday. Their kiosk dispensed a movie I didn't reserve. I called them, they gave me a promo code for the correct movie, and return the wrong. Of course it didn't work, so I didn't get the movie I actually reserved. Called several times to date. "Don't want your code I want my money for the movie I paid for but didn't get". Three weeks today I still haven't received my refund. They claim they have to get it then refund it. They got it the day I returned all those movies including the wrong one. It's not the lousy two dollars it's the principle. They are the worst. I'll never ever rent anything from Redbox. I've been a loyal customer for years, always returned their movies on time. If they try and charge me for that movie I never got I plan to have their behind in court not just for charging me for something I don't have but defamation of character and a whole lot of other legality I'll hit them with. I'll never do business with REDBOX AGAIN!!!

Taking a big breath as I write this review. Words can't describe how agitated and disrespected I feel by the unprofessionalism of this company. It is now November 2016 and the last time I rented from this company was back in July. The company says that I owe them DVDs that I don't and on top of that they have been charging my card little amounts at a time which I've recently now noticed.

I had the largest amount debit from me a week ago for $2 then another right after for $38 that same day so I called Redbox and started looking back at my bank account statements. Initially I spoke to this lady, asked for a manager but she said there was not one. I emphasized the importance of talking to one. She then placed me on hold and the line disconnected after being on hold for a long time. Then I called back and spoke with another lady who also said no manager was available. Advised her of already being hung up on and again demanded to speak with a manager. I disputed the amount with her, asked for a refund AND to have my card information removed AND verbally told her to that I do not authorize Redbox to debit or take out any money from my account. She told me that she has to put in a case to a specialty department to have my card information removed (??). This was on a Saturday.

Bright and early on Monday they processed another payment on my account for $9 something. I called again, spoke with another representative on Monday. That representative also stated no manager was available. I demanded to speak with one and finally after advising of the call being recorded and asking for their ID information "miraculously" they could find a manager. I was transferred to a manager who I said they were putting in a case to have my card removed. In the mean time I told her again that I do not consent/authorize to having my card debited or having money withdrawn. I called again on Wednesday to verify if my card was removed she said no and that they were working on it. I called my own bank who said I would have to come to the bank to fill out docs but my bank only opens late enough for me to stop by on Fridays. The plan was to complete the bank docs on Friday.

However... You probably guessed it! Friday they took out $2 from my account. Then a few hours later while I was still was at work they took out another $38. I was infuriated!!! I called back spoke with a rep who said the last manager I spoke with was unavailable. After telling her about me recording the call, asking for her ID info she somehow found a manager who I was transferred to. The manager apologized and said they were going to work on having it removed. I was so irritated and distracted by this conversation that I didn't have the time to head to my bank. The manager here confirmed all the times I called before about having my card removed and stating that I don't authorize any payments to the company. Towards the end of the call he gave me the number to the corporate office.

I called the corporate office about this issue and spoke with a lady who apologized but said that she could not refund me what was taken out. Instead, she said that she would investigate as to why my card info was not removed sooner. She even confirmed all the notes from when I asked over and over to have my card info removed and the notes where I said I don't consent to having my card debited but still said she couldn't refund the amounts taken out since she said they were valid (to her). I just looked at my account again and lo and behold, after talking to corporate I see that Redbox took out another $21 something.

Overall, I find it very hard to believe that it takes a week to remove someone's card information from their files. I can almost bet that if I called it wanting to replace that card info with a "better" card number the changes/updates would be made effective immediately however to actually remove a card seems to be for "some reason" so long and tedious. I also find it VERY STRANGE that the VERY week I call to remove my card information and state that I don't authorize payments be the very week the company "coincidentally" decides to take out the most money from my card account that they have apparently ever taken out in such a short period. This is theft. They saw my demand to have my card removed and they thus decide to milk my account as much as they feel they can instead of just removing my card altogether like I asked.

I am going through a lot of personal things and they don't know how much that money they took is having and will have a toll on me this month. Overall this IS* the WORST customer service experience I have ever had. It's also the most stressful one. You can't just take money from someone's purse (bank) because you feel they owe you money "ESPECIALLY" after they already told you NOT to take any money out. This company has some nerve. IF anyone has some advice on the situation I'm going through please let me know. I'm going to try and find legal advice on this situation because I really cannot allow a company to utterly disrespect me like that. Then I received this email thanking me for my payment. What disrespect!! Thanking me for a payment I told them NOT to take out!! Again if anyone has any information that could be useful for my situation please let me know.

I rented two movies at the price of $1.50 each and it showed as a pending on my checking and I understand their policy but why can't they charge a daily fee. Because I check my bank statement every day and would have noticed the random charge and would have remembered to return my movies. I am a very busy teenager who works every day and attends school while participating in other school activities. So remember to return movies would not be my top priority. But if I noticed missing money I would remember. So I'm very unhappy that I was charged $48 for two movies that in my opinion were not worth the money.

Redbox got paid 23 dollars which is all I owed had I been able to watch the movies I rented. Charged me 495. first day owed them THREE others. Couldn't call had no more number. They in turn charged me OVER 100 three months later. Asked for a credit for nonviewable movies I've paid for since January. They got their 2295 etc. Plus charged me another 7723 plus 10 dollars and DIDN'T credit that 8723 back. Just 50. I paid the 23 for four days and they RAPING ME FOR 30. DON'T use REDBOX. DON'T TRUST THEM. THEY TRACING WON'T GIVE A CREDIT FOR WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND CAN'T SEE.

I returned a disc on the 18th of Oct to find a 30 dollar charge on my card in Nov. I called customer service and they told me they could refund me 10 bucks. I had no choice but to take the 10 dollars back but I will not rent from Redbox again. I remember returning it to a local establishment but they can't see it so there is no fighting it. I will not recommend or go to Redbox again.

I have had it with Redbox. I'm on the phone right now with them and they're very rude, disrespectful, put me on hold for 15 minutes. I rented a game and a movie. Mind you I know you have to turn them in on time...which I did and I have been charged since April and it's October. THE REPRESENTATIVE SAYS I NEVER RETURNED THEM??? Clearly I did and since Redbox doesn't give you a receipt and my email was full I deleted a lot without paying attention. My bad. But then she goes on and says that "maybe you put an EMPTY CASE IN THERE. WTF HOW?? I'm getting my money back BY ALL MEANS.

All movie bought from the Redbox in Gaston county area are always scratched with fingerprints on them. I recommend paying the extra dollar and get one from the video store, where they can clean them for you if there is any scratches or get you a new video.

I rented a movie and returned it the very next day. It took 3 tries to get the machine to accept it. Now, almost a month later, I received an email statement charging me $26 for the video I returned. I contacted Redbox and they offered me a $10 credit. So they make $16 at my expense? I told them this is not acceptable and filed a dispute with my credit card company. I have rented from Redbox for years and not once not returned a movie. They lost a customer for good.

Received my credit card statement and saw that Red Box billed me $36.72 for movie we returned. Customer service gave the run around and basically said it was not their fault and would not refund the money. Apparently they put the blame on the customer and not their kiosks. I tried to elevate the issue to a supervisor and was never connected to one... they put me on hold and then the call disconnected twice! Horrible business model considering the disk probably cost them about $2. We will not be using Red Box as there are numerous online options. Be careful if you do!

I will never use Redbox again. We returned the three movies that were rented and now a few weeks later I was charged $36.00 for non-return of one of those movies. What they did was take $5.00 - $20.00 out every week. (Total was $36.00.) Please beware when you return the movies since they don't issue you a receipt of the returns. They will only take your money and say that one of the movies was not returned. I am so furious, I do not have the movie that I have paid for since it was returned. They have the movie and $36.00.

I called them three times and all they tell me is that they are sorry and that they will send people out to do inventory soon. Well that doesn't give me my money back. I just told them to block all my credit/debit cards in their system because I will never do business with them again. That is the last money that they will ever get from me or my family. Their service standards are poor and they are not to be trusted. Their system is not always accurate. And money comes before the customer. Many people do use Redbox but their customer return rate is low, and I definitely see why now. I should have listened to others when they told me not to use their services. Lesson learned!

Our family rents from Redbox frequently. I rented two movies back in August. We watched them and returned them the same day. As I was going over my bank statement I cam across a charge for nearly $30. I thought it was a little odd so I called Redbox. I explained the situation to the representative and then was drilled about if I waited at the kiosk to make sure the movie was processed. Now, to be honest after I stick the movie in and I see it go into the machine I typically walk away because the machine takes forever to go through its thing. I've done this every time and like I said, we always return our movies. The rep said there was no record of me ever returning the video. I told her I did and that I've never had this happen. She then said she would check the machine's records to see if the technician found the disk and someone else had rented it.

Well, no one has rented the movie. So therefore I'm listed as the last person to have rented it. I explained to her that I did return it and if they look at the account, I've never not returned a movie. At this point she got extremely huffy with me. I told her that this is unacceptable and that I would like a refund. She came back and offered me a $10 refund. But I know for a fact I returned the movie. She then asked me for my confirmation email. Well, like most people who have an email I'm bombarded with literally hundreds of emails so I do delete them (big mistake). After that she became even more rude so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Let's just say this man was probably the rudest supervisor I have ever spoken to. I have a background working in customer service centers so I know how people on the phone can be.

But I also know that when a customer is speaking to you, you never ever talk over them and argue, especially a supervisor. This man did nothing but shoot me down, talk over me. I actually had to tell him to stop talking over me and listen, and when I am finished talking then he could talk. I asked for the barcode on the video and that I will be checking on this with someone locally. I also told him that they were going to lose a customer over this and he didn't care. I really miss the days of when you could walk into a video rental store. It was so rare that these things happened back then, but all I ever hear about Redbox is how they scam you out of money. We will not be using them ever again. I'd rather pay DIRECTV 5.99 to rent a movie than to deal with Redbox again.

They charged not one but three of my cards multiple charges and multiple time equaling up to $90.00. When called and confronted about it they gave me the run around and fake transferred calls to the so called supervisor that sounded like the last person I talked to then if you get the point across they fed me a ** promise that my money will be added back to my cards but it never was. I really need a way to get my money back. I think everybody that has ever been scammed should take a rope or chain, wrap it around it and drag that ** down the street because they basically just told me today that they not giving me my money back out to go buy me some chains and rope right now so I hope nobody is planning to use Redbox in the Akron area, barberton area, stow area, cuyahoga falls area, Kent area, ravenna area, Cleveland area - ** any redbox kiosk. I see I'm ** it up.

I rented my movies in Jamul California at a $1.50 a day. I kept them for exactly 4 days. On the fourth day I took them back to Cameron corners which is in Potrero San Diego California. I should not have been charged more than $18 for the four days of rentals on the movies. It was only 3 movies. I checked my bank account and had a charge of $82.80. To my surprise they said that my movies had not been returned. I got very upset because I know for a fact that I return them to the kiosk myself along with two other movies of my sister. Now something's really fishy here. If I return 5 movies when I only had three movies and they're charging me $82.80 what the heck is going on. I do not think I'm the only one that's being ripped off by these kiosk owners and I think that we should get a class action suit going on against Redbox!!!

Is there anyone willing to go along with me to get an attorney to go against Redbox. This is a little ridiculous! I know that my $82.80 is just Petty change. This is ridiculous being charged for movies that I returned. I could see if I had them in my possession I wouldn't make such a big deal. I wouldn't even post it on here but I don't have the movies and I don't have the money to put out like this for movies that I don't even have! And I think that the kiosk owner probably thought that nothing would be said about it! For the fact that it wasn't returned to the right kiosk that it was taken out of! But I was under the impression that you could return the movies to any Redbox kiosk that there was!?!

Now they said that if you returned it after 17 days that you bought the movie but mine were returned within 4 days, not 17 days! I'm beginning to think that Redbox is a big scam for a lot of people that have their first time on Redbox but actually this wasn't my first time, it was my first time using this credit card! And my first time putting it in a different class than the normal one I put it in!

I rented movies for a friend three weeks ago and woke up to a charge of 81$ this morning from redbox because they cannot locate the movies. I have bills to pay and they have put my account in a negative. I was a regular customer, but I will never use this service again. Staff or management did not help or have concern with my issue.

I want to begin my review with an apology to the manager Kimberly if that is your real name for the call last night. When referring back to the bank it was a glitch in online system pertaining to my refund. I do not agree with the 9pm policy which should be changed at least to 11:59pm. Other than that the experience was decent. Thank you.

Redbox Company Profile