1.19/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

724 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

Rented a movie Dec 1 2018. Billed 3/18/2019. A simple email or call and we could have resolved whatever the issue was. They are unwilling to help. I called and chatted with them and they said that for 15 weeks my account had no funds which is incorrect.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I bought Aquaman on the Redbox Beta app on my new Samsung 4k HDTV. I attempted to play the movie and it kept throwing an error code. Redbox was trying to blame my internet service, but it's funny how Amazon Prime and Netflix had no problems at all playing. Redbox offered no solution nor a refund on a movie I can't watch. So I'm out 22.00 and a movie.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have used Redbox for years and never had a problem until now. I rented 2 movies and somehow I lost one of the movies. So when I rented the movie, Redbox asked me if I would like to buy it for 6,99 but I had rented it instead. So I called to talk to a customer service agent and explained the situation. I asked if I could go ahead and buy the movie for 6,99 to make things right. The lady that I spoke to said that there was nothing that can be done and I will be charged $29 and change. She interrupted me several times and did not put me on hold or offer me a chance to speak to a manager to help with this. After this, I doubt that I will being using their services again.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Rented a game on their 3 day special promotion for 7 dollars and was charged 14 dollars. Game was turned in hours before 3 days had elapsed. This is the last time I'll use Redbox. I have had multiple issues before and the fault has always been on their end. They are a deceptive company and I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 2, 2019

They keep trying but I froze them from getting any money from my account but they keep charging my card. This company's criminal ways and scanless ways of taking people money for movies never rented yet to them you did and laughing. They need to be shut down. Pathetic. Yes. Consumer THESE I need your help. Have you read all these. People's stories are of them overrunning and taking people's money. I know I come here hoping that...as Consumer Affair rep... Your tough people that goes after companies like this.

I think we all should get as a bunch get a lawyer and proceed in a lawsuit against Redbox. Get what they took from us and take it all the way 'cause people if we don't yell we're pissed and I'm not taking this. Maybe we can save another from going thru this nightmare. Anyways... Redbox got me for $850.00 (times 5 times so $850.00 × 5 is way too much) for movies I never rented I'm not affording it. SO. IF A LAWYER reads these all for sure be honored to take Redbox to court. Then to once upon a time. Redbox loves taking and taking and taking more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We rented a game from Redbox in December to only find out the case was empty. When we called customer service we were first told that it was impossible for the case to be empty, then we were told that the case would be taken out of circulation. Sure they gave us a code for a free night rental but we rented the game for 3 nights. Fast forward to the end of February we decide to buy a game, well SURPRISE the case was empty! Now we are told there's nothing they can do but offer a one night rental free and refund the money in 5-7 business days. Needless to say we won't be using Redbox anymore.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

So for the last few months (Oct '18-Mar '19) my card has been unable to be authorized at every Redbox. I don't have a balance due, and I've turned in all my games on time. This is the third time I've been declined, and the third time I have called. Nobody has a single clue what's going on. All I get told is "I don't know what is wrong with your account, let me escalate this". Nobody ever follows up with me. I never get a phone call or email back letting me know the status of my account.

To this day my account hasn't been fixed. Today I asked to speak with a supervisor instead of "being escalated". I got put on hold for about 25 minutes and honestly thought they forgot about me. Their employees obviously don't care. When I got transferred to a supervisor, he told me all he could do was submit an inquiry about the status of my card and guess what else...ESCALATE THE ISSUE! Wow! Is this the extent of power Redbox gives their supervisors? I used to rent games 2-3 times a week from them. We used to have a really good thing going on.

They can forget about that now, sick of getting jerked around over something that should be fixed relatively easily. I will make it a point to never bother with renting their product again. I will make it a point to tell every single one of my friends what it's like to be a loyal customer to Redbox for years, only to be told to wait through the red tape and bureaucracy before my card can be authorized again. You know what? It isn't worth the wait, guys. Stop giving them your business. Force them to fix their errors. Spending 10 minutes to write this was worth the time, compared to the half hour I spent on hold just to be told by a supervisor to kick rocks. So long, Redbox!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

The Only conclusion I can come to after having so many problems trying to post movie reviews is that Redbox is deliberately preventing reviews on movies that turn out to be "X" rated and movies that EVERYONE hates!!! Be warned. If a movie has No reviews and says "be the first to write a review" it's because EVERYONE submitting a review has given it 1 star only because you can't give it zero stars!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Do not rent at Redbox! I have not rented a movie there in a year. The last the three months I have been having problems with someone using the kiosks across the country using my credit card three times. I have got a new card number each time. Once someone gets a hold of your card information they will keep charging your card. They are thieves. In three occasions it has happened to me. Redbox also tried to charge me on my last card that was brand new for a game that was not returned. I ended up totally canceling my credit card now. This will affect my credit!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Just before Christmas I noticed a Redbox rental fee on my bank statement. I’ve never used Redbox. EVER! I contacted my bank and filed a fraudulent charge report. They closed the card and issued me a new one. Soon, Redbox was attempting to bill me $73 for the disk that was never returned. The charge was reversed and I thought that was the end of it. A month later Redbox is attempting to bill me again for the same missing disk. I had to contact my bank AGAIN and file a report, which forced me to close my card AGAIN and destroy it. Redbox insists the rental was made using my card and I know it’s IMPOSSIBLE since I only have one card and it’s with me at all times. Now I see it has happened to other people. There is a larger issue Redbox needs to address within their billing system. Maybe a class-action lawsuit needs to be brought against them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Every time I have an issue renting or returning with Redbox I have initiated a "chat" with customer service. After 10, 15 or 20 minutes of unhelpful help from the person in another country I end up more pissed than when I started. Ya, I know... I should have learned my lesson the 1st time but it took me 3 times. 2 times I've returned the discs and they don't show returned and they keep charging me. This time I reserved them online and picked up at the box and the box won't work. The customer service department simply tells me they will give me a promo code for my future rentals. No... not anymore. I'm done!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I am extremely upset with this company. I can't understand anyone answering the phones there. I went out (using my gas) to go get a movie. I chose Redbox to purchase my movie from. I got the movie and came home to watch. The movie won't play. I call in (to people that don't understand English and don't speak it very well at all). I am told that I have to go back out (using my gas again) for this $1.75 movie and return it and rent it again. Tell me why I have to go back out and do this all over again for a "Redbox issue" when they have the ability now to "make it right".

I should have been offered to stream it on Redbox on Demand so I wouldn't be inconvenienced more than I already am? This is just wrong. So as a customer, I am the one that has to make it right? Then I ask to speak to a Supervisor, of course I'm put on hold...for 22 minutes (very unprofessional). I sat on hold only to be told that the "Supervisor is still busy". Wow. Is that unprofessional or what? Then I was told there was no way that they could compensate me by doing "Redbox On Demand" but that they would transfer me to On Demand...what in the world??? I had to hang up. I was about to use words I shouldn't (Especially on Sunday!).

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was charged 100.46 for three movies. I can understand a charge for not returning, but these are movies people are renting over and over. That makes them used movies. I stopped using them before and I will never use them again. And I will be telling people to never use them. That is a ripoff. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We had always used to rent movies at Redbox, but then we noticed that they were charging twice for the movies, so I called them and explain what was happening so the lady I spoke with said, "We will refund the money," and never did, so we stopped using Redbox, not nice to lie to customers!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Scam!!! Overcharged multiple times for rental. Movie was only rented for a few hours but debit was charged multiple times. I called to ask for my stolen money to be returned and told them I was recording the conversation to post on social media so that the public would know how they are stealing from their customers and they hung up on me twice. I asked to speak with a supervisor and again... They hung up on me. Redbox scams and steals from their customers. We will never use Redbox again!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was just charged $55.00 for late fees. The rate Redbox charges is almost 4 times what blockbuster used to charge. At least Block would notify you when you reached $15.00 in late fees. Redbox is all about LATE FEE CHARGES. THIS COMPANY HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER!!! SCREW YOU REDBOX!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Rented a DVD, wrong one came out. I called and put in complaint, they told me to return it, it was a fraud. I was emailed a promo code for a free movie. I used it and got another movie I didn't order. I was told to return that one. So I used my free promo code on another movie I didn't order. Way to go Redbox!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

They claimed I had a free rental coming from them. Then they still charged me for the rental saying the money would be back on my account in 5 to 7 business days. So I now have an overdraft charge to pay for this supposedly free movie. So this free rental cost me 32 bucks. FUTURE NOTICE - THIS IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. It's not a free rental when you charge someone for it then return the money. How are they getting away with this? That's what I want to know!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I received an extra charge on my account for a movie and used their online chat. The representative was very kind and helpful. They looked into my account and explain what had happened and help me get the refund. Very pleased! Thank you Redbox. Shout out to Precile who helped!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We tried to order movies Friday night. The machine wasn’t working then. Saturday morning we had charges totaling 50.43. We called Redbox to see what happened. They tell us this is from July of this year. We have rented from this company since October and this is horrible business. We just want our money back.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Got 1500 points. Was going to get a DVD rental. In their disclaimer they never talk about charging you anything or they're being a five to seven business day wait for you to get any money that they charge you back. It was a very bad experience. Even though it was only a dollar 89 they still charged my debit card and then claim that once to movies returned they will put the money back on my card in 5 to 7 business days. So much for anything being free because that's false advertisement in my book.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I noticed an unauthorized transaction from Redbox from IL... Never been to IL a day in my life! Bottom line, they couldn't help me. Told me that I needed to contact my bank to dispute the transaction. Very dissatisfied and very wrong of Redbox!!! You lost my support!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've gone to the Redbox machines weekly. Been noticing how filthy the touch screen is, even the DVDs themselves. When I get home I have to clean them before I try to play the movie. Just plain filthy!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Rented 2 Blu-Ray disc. Return both on the 2nd night. Instead of been charge a 2 nights fees it charges double $ 8.78. Called customer service they said it is a temporary hold and will be refund in 5 days. It did not!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have never had a membership and I lost my Direct Express card but Redbox charged me for overdue disks! I called customer service but they did not help me! Take care people. This company thinks it can do whatever it wants.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I used to like Redbox but now I'm done with them. Got charge $5.66 for a movie I rented a week ago. Called customer service and all they said was this is an unauthorized transaction hold from their company. Like what the hell? You already withdrew money from my bank. So basically they double charge you after 5-7 days after your rent and return the movies. I'm so over this company and will not rent from them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First off I chatted with a person named Sheena Mae about how Redbox on Demand worked. I asked her if I make a purchase can I download it to an external drive and watch it without Redbox app because I PCS to countries that block their site. Her exact words were: "if you purchase it, it means you own the movie so you may be able to copy to your external drive." So I purchased it, then find I need to download the Redbox download manager, which I needed assistance in finding it (I called), and this person was incredibly rude and hung up on me. But I figured it out. Then I download it, but get no options where it goes, and have to do a mass search to find it. I find it only to see that it is in a format that only can be played through Redbox player. I call Redbox again, where I deal with someone who can't even find my transaction, and wants my bank to call them.

I ask to speak to a manager, where I am then put on hold, but not transferred. I call again and immediately ask to speak to a manager, where I am put on hold for how long. Then finally speak to someone who tells me I'm in the wrong department. She transfers me, where I speak to John who tells me I can't transfer the file to an external drive, and I tell him that I am now aware of that, and that an online chat person named Sheena Mae lied to me about it. He then hangs up on me. I call back again and immediately request for a manager, they ask why. I said, "Well, I've been lied to about a purchase, been rude to, put on hold but never answered, people couldn't find my transaction, then hung up on. I get so called transferred, where no one picked up the phone." End result I get ripped off by another lying company designed to treat customers like ** and rip them off. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake, stay away!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had rented two movies and they got stolen out of my car. I got hit with a monster fine and it would have wrecked my month financially if not for the excellent customer service and refund policy. Thanks for being understanding Redbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Updated on 11/16/2018: Although the rental was for one night, AND RETURNED IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS, they charged me for 2 nights. After not having any luck trying to email my grievances, I finally reached someone thru the helpline, who did finally refund my money. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE TO RENT FROM THEM! Instead of being entertained I had a miserable experience with them AGAIN.

Original Review: This is the 3rd time I've rented a defective disc from Redbox. I've only rented 6 times. Oceans 8 is brand new, so it must be Redbox's fault. It stops, then, when I grab the remote to ffwd, it starts again. Others haven't worked at all. Not like I've rented a lot from them. 50% of the movies I've rented are defective. It's not my DVD player. I've tried the same disc in several different DVD players. I have to pay for this rental, but I didn't get to watch the whole thing due to constant ffwding when it freezes or goes black. Every time I think about renting from you, I'll think again. Also, no one answers the phone at customer service, and I can't get signed on to email customer service. Disappointed. No longer a customer. You owe me about twenty bucks, Redbox!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For one, the machine was off. I would press something and it would select something else so I would have to keep going back which was so annoying then when I finally got it to where I needed it to be I was placing an order, then it restarted on me so I did it all again. Then I slid the card and the whole machine froze up and wouldn't let me cancel so I have to call customer service and finally after 10 minutes I finally got it canceled. It was so annoying so I say screw it. I'll never do Redbox again!

Redbox Company Information