2.62/5
  • 1 star
Based on 155 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Redbox

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

636 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My Redbox renting of movies are over! Tired of getting charged for movies that I return because kiosk is continually down! I returned 3 movies in the 14th, then yesterday, I get notification that the 3rd movie was just returned, along with a charge for 18.03. I’m done using Redbox!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

After being told that I rented my movies on a 3rd of Dec, when actually I actually rented them on the 4th was really something else. I was told two different stories when I contacted their customer service. I am not for sure where at off the streets that they might hire their help. It ended up costing me around $28 for 5 movies for one night and a $36 overdraft with my bank. I will be claiming fraudulent charges pretty soon since I could not resolve the problem with what I felt like was scum of the earth. My days of Redbox is over. My advice would be to find another option of watching movies or you will be here like the rest of us with not stories but the truth.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The website stated the payment could not be processed. Upon checking my bank account the payment went through my account. I made two calls and the company says there is no transaction. No offered to check with accounting as I know they would see the payment. They continue to tell me to contact my bank. The company should attempt to resolve the issue. However they refused. I offered to send confirmation that the payment was processed. However they refused. What kind of company is this? No customer service.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

This is my very first and LAST rental from Redbox. On 12/27/17, I rented a DVD, called Detroit. I returned that DVD on 12/31/17, to the same Redbox (on Dublin Granville Rd) from which I got it. I double checked with the store cashier to make certain that everything was done correctly. I received an email from Redbox today telling me I have kept the DVD too long, telling me not to return it and was charged the full price of $36.55 for non-return of the DVD! Now I have to go through the process of demanding my refund even though they've had it back for 16 days now!!! The rental of one small DVD was not worth all of this headache.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I pull up my bank account today to check if my rent payment went through, since my apt is only accept electronic payments through PayLease. Well, it didn't because part of the payment was missing. But do you know what was there instead? $56.05 charge from Redbox. I called; they said I rented 2 movies on Dec 13th that I have never seen before. Not to mention, I was working that night and I literally woke up, went to work, and slept then did it again that entire week.

No time for my tired ** to watch Redbox. And no way I could have rented those movies they claim I did. Now I might be in a pickle with rent because my payment bounced. **, Redbox. Never using you again and I am telling everyone about your flawed service. And thanks for your customer service agent training. I could not even understand what the lady said and she was of absolutely no help. I had to file a dispute with my bank because your company would not own up to your mistake.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have gone up and down every avenue I can think of. Ever since they upgraded their website, I can no longer update my credit card information. Previously, my credit card got hacked so I had to kill the associated card number. Now, I have several credits but cannot use them because my card doesn't exist in their system. I call and sit on hold for almost a 1/2 hour but no one ever picks up. Redbox, please explain to us WTF is going on. How do you expect to stay in business if you have terrible support and an even worse website user experience? If no one wants to rent from you anymore, you will be out of business in short order. Please hear me others, boycott Redbox until they fix their system. We are the customer and deserve much better treatment than this. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! I would attach a receipt if I could actually use their sodding system!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have been renting from this company for some time now whenever there is nothing else available. For a very long time I have had numerous problems with several of their boxes not taking various cards for payment. I don't know if the boxes are just poorly maintained or what the reason is but I never have problems anywhere else with my cards. I have spent numerous times driving around like an imbecile from box to box only to find that the customer service help and promo codes they have given me for my inconvenience don't work.

To thwart problems this time... the final straw... I reserved and paid from home. Then proceeded to go through the same ordeal with simply not being able to swipe any of my cards at their lousy boxes. I wasted 2 hours of my time driving and trying to pick up a movie I already paid for but was unable to pick up because their company policy won't allow them to unhold a movie so I could try a different payment method. This company needs an up to date overhaul. Card swiping is ridiculous if you've already paid at home. This company will be obsolete when streaming becomes mainstream.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I've hated Redbox for a long long time. They flat out suck. I have huge problems constantly with their useless website, and anytime I call about it I get some ** foreigner that doesn't understand English and insists on mispronouncing my last name. They are absolutely infuriating. The latest and final straw from these ** occurred tonight when I reserved a movie online, drove 15 minutes to the nearest box, swiped my card, and the goddamn box tells me I don't have a reservation at that box. So I get on my phone and pull up my reservation confirmation page, which tells me that I do indeed have a reservation at that box. So I call "customer service" only to find out they're closed. Horrible business, but they've shut down all the video rental stores by undercutting them on price, so what am I to do if I ever want to rent a movie again?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I rented online just 2 weeks ago from my tablet, but this time I got a pop-up to upgrade to Blu-Ray, which blocked me from checking out (no button to decline and the option to not show the pop-up again did not have a box to click). I go back and the site tells me to make a new password, which I did, hoping that would solve my checkout problem. No luck. Switched to different browser. Same pop-up. I tried their Help Center which had no canned answer, just their 866 number with prompt 3 (prompt 3 didn't work, btw). I called and explained the pop-up preventing my checkout and was put on hold for few minutes. She comes back and says it's a site wide problem and to try in an hour or two! Really?!? I asked to speak to someone else or supervisor, it seemed nearly impossible that this was my only solution.

After about 5 minutes on hold, or enough time to turn on my laptop, start another (3rd different) browser and sign into my account for a third time, I managed to successfully checkout but still couldn't disable the pop-up in the future. My rep comes back on the line, speaks a few words and the line goes dead (it sure seems like she hung up on me, because it was my landline and there was no silent time, just a dial tone). I wanted to file a comment that I found their Help Center a bit lacking. Their Contact Us have only the same 866 # or live chat. Waited again to chat, got the robot like responses; was given an address to mail my complaint and told that my feedback would be logged and forwarded. Yeah right, I can't quite believe that. Disappointed that a company that reserves and streams online can't at least make a box or webpage to make comments to give the appearance that they care about their customers...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

My bank account was charged $96.27 and I did not rent anything from Redbox, I called them and there is nothing they can do about it, so I have to wait 10 business days for my bank to dispute charge. It clearly states on my bank account Redbox DVD rental Oakbrook Terrace, IL. $96.27. I've never rented that much ever, and I dont have any outstanding late rentals.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I wanted to use my 4 Redbox credits I had & before I confirmed my Redbox order of dvd's being placed on hold for me it specifically showed there wouldn't be any charge place on my card used. My total showed $0.00. After I picked them up & get back home then I see a charge from Redbox to card used of $6.58. I then called Redbox customer service & he explained to me since Redbox doesn't actually know if or when I'll return dvd's that they go ahead & charge my card, not more than 20 mins from reserving them I was then told Redbox has a holding #. I would need to give my bank to get charges reversed, that was useless! Just spoken to another Redbox customer service lady & after me explaining to her how unjustified this was & wrong I apologized to her but she said if she were a Redbox customer she would of reacted in the same exact response!

Since I couldn't find anywhere on Redbox to report/post this I wanted to warn other potential Redbox customers of their under handing & false advertisements when it comes to "using your Redbox credit". Although I've been told these charges will be reversed with in 3/5 business days is seriously beside the whole point here, I will not no longer be a customer of Redbox rentals any longer.{Transaction Status: Open; Card Holder Name: VICKIE} 12/13/17 Rental Once Upon A Time In Venice 1 $1.50. 12/13/17 Rental The Dark Tower 1 $1.50. 12/13/17 Rental Guilty (2017) 1 $1.50. 12/13/17 Rental Wind River 1 $1.50. 12/13/2017 DEBIT CARD REV CR $6.58. 12/13/2017 DEBIT CARD AUTHORIZATION $6.58.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I rented a game, when I picked it up, there was a piece of paper instead of a disc. I called immediately and returned disc right then. Went to another location, same thing. Now I'm the one whose account they closed. I didn't do anything wrong except pay to rent 2 games that I never got.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

For years I was not aware they have 9 pm cutoff and I was thinking it would be 12 AM. First it is ethically wrong hiding important information. Second when I raised my concern, they blamed me that I need to be aware before giving card info instead of acknowledging the problem. They have hired rouges for customer service.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I hope everything goes well with your rental because if anything goes wrong you have minimal customer service, a stunning lack of compassion, no credit to your account and some poor woman in India who has no supervisor.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I rented 3 movies a month and a half ago, and kept them two nights. I got charged for them and the extra fees when I returned them. And yesterday got charged a second time, this time they charged $13 dollars, and then another $8 dollars. This is ridiculous. I refuse to ever use Redbox again, it's just a scam.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

How has Redbox not been sued yet? They repeatedly take money out of people's bank accounts for movies that have been returned. If it is gonna cost $50 for an $14 movie what is the point?? I have read numerous complaints about this issue and they have ripped myself and my daughter off and when customer service is called they are rude and act like you owe them. I would like to see a class action lawsuit against these folks, this is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I got billed twice for movies I returned. Tried to talk to a sales representative the conversation with them went nowhere. I feel that it is wrong. I will never use Redbox again. I have Netflix. They are better than Redbox. Only reason was to get the movie emoji for my son. Now I have paid $7.41 for two movie one that was 50 cents. Sad.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

They keep taking money out of my account and I haven't even used Redbox for like six months. It's really starting to make me mad. They have overdrawn my account like 4 times already. If they do it again I will be suing.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Over the past three weeks, I have visited a total of 7 Redbox kiosks in the Austin area. And at every one of them, all but 2 or 3 videos show being out of a stock. And at two of them, ALL DVDs were out of stock. What is in stock are Blue Ray discs. It's obvious that Redbox is not paying attention otherwise they would have realized by now that fewer and fewer people are watching Blue Ray and that most people watch the standard DVD format. And when I called in to complain while at the Kiosk, the agent asks the easy-out question "What is the zip code of the kiosk?" That right there shows management is clueless, for if they were really running a tight ship each kiosk would have a unique identifier number emblazoned on the side of the Redbox. Think of the large numbers painted on the top of buses so that the dispatcher can know which bus is experiencing a problem.

And when you do actually talk to someone at Redbox, they are completely unable to do anything except hand you the standard line that they will take it up with marketing. Lastly, since moving to Austin, I have discovered that within the downtown area, with a constant resident population of about 15,000 people THERE ARE NO REDBOX KIOSKS. I have recommended that the company locate one inside the Whole Foods flagship store at 5th and Lamar as well as one outside the Trader Joe's. All I heard was that they didn't think there was the demand for it.

Again, it's obvious that this company is not doing its job. If they feel that people aren't renting from them enough and instead deciding to stream via Amazon or some other service, the answer is probably yes because Redbox doesn't stock enough DVDs in the most popular format and they don't take the customer experience very seriously. How this company is still in business is beyond me. I see them going the way of Blockbuster Video and Hollywood Video. Another casualty of business incompetence.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

This is the 4th DVD I have rented in the day two weeks that skipped, stopped and literally caused me to miss large parts of the movie I paid to watch. There is no one to notify or to advise of poor experiences. I rent pretty regularly but I think this will be the last time.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been a member of Redbox for three years. I receive offers all the time through email and text. Not once have the codes worked for discounts. I recently made a complaint and was told it was because I use Blue Ray DVD's. What kind of BS is that. Blue Ray has been the standard for 15 years. I will never use or recommend a company that tries to BS its customers. I will just use Amazon instead. They are far more honest with their customers.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I did not have two movies for more than a week. I tried to write into Redbox and their site was down. So I called and talked to a woman who yelled at me. I have never had someone yell at me when I did not yell at her. She kept telling me I have to give a specific date when I returned it. I have a busy very life and can't pinpoint a day that I returned it. That's why she kept telling so I hung up hoping I could get someone different if I called back. Second person was not smart at all and seemed like he had no idea what I was saying. I want my $50 returned back to me and I promise I will never use your services again and I will never recommend Redbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I rented two movies on Saturday. I tried to return them on Sunday and Monday. The box was down both days. I now have loads of late charges. I contacted Redbox to make sure the box works today. Customer service was rude and I was asked why I didn't take them to another box. It is not convenient to have to drive all over town to return movies. I wish there were still video stores that you can go in and rent movies. Dealing with a person is much better than dealing with a machine.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

So I download the Redbox app, signed up and everything. Wasted 2 damn dollars reserving a movie they don't even have in stock. That ** would have been nice if to Know before I did all that **. I call customer service to ** at them about it, then I find out even if it was in stock I'd have to spend another 2 damn dollars to rent. You guys are double charging scam artist. I'm never ever wasting my time and money at your dumb ass things. I HATE Redbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I lost the disc and was charged. I agree I lost and should be charged. Yet they won't let me pay it. Debit card was declined and then card rejected. I called to pay for the lost disc and was told that the invoice has been closed. I STILL OWE, I know this will come back sooner or later that I defaulted on paying. Has Redbox gotten so large they write off $34.00 all the time? Somewhere down the line this will impact my credit. Yet they say I can open another account with another card, why not just let me pay? Have they never had a debit card declined before?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Rented a movie, DVD was unplayable due to scratches. I called customer service, and they offered a promo, however no one could explain what the promo was. I was unable to get a refund. It's the principle since we are talking about $1.60.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been an avid Redbox renter until the technology of streaming came about. Due to this, I have not needed to rent from them until our internet was out for a number of days due to hurricane Jose. To my surprise the rate for the movie rental went up significantly. We kept our movies for 6 days due to a number of reasons and the total charge was over $25 for fees (not including the cost to rent the two movies). In former days it would have been a $25 fee just to keep the movie. Perhaps this is Redbox's way of trying to stay relevant in a world where streaming technology is the future. Needless to say, increasing prices in a substantial manner in order to make up for significant losses is no way to keep me as a customer. I will never ever be renting from Redbox again. Sorry folks.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

When I had called the billing department to explain that they had taken all of the money in my account and I was left stranded with no gas they asked me for my information so I gave them what they had requested and they then continued to state in a different language. I told her I could not understand her and she explained in English that I had rented 2 movies that had not been returned in 8 days which I had never rented the two movies. She gave me the date of the rental which was 1 month prior to when I had rented any movies at all.

I dont understand how 2 dvds cost 66 dollars. When I told her, “I did not rent those titles and you took 250 dollars from my account which leaves me, my girlfriend and our 7 month old child stranded 170 miles away from home in 90 degree humid weather,” she said she could contact cops. They would help us by holding our baby for us until we can get home. I told her I wanted to speak to someone from the United States. She started screaming at me in a different language which I only know how to speak English. Luckily I made it to a Walmart and was able to get a MoneyGram from my parents to get home. I dont appreciate not speaking to someone from the U.S. and being hung up on. They still keep trying to take money from me under different transaction numbers. Be very cautious using Redbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have on occasion returned a movie into the Redbox machine just a few minutes before 9 pm. When I get my receipt, it says I am being charged for additional night. I note these nights because I try real hard to get them back in time. If I have to wait in line sometimes it will get me close to 9 pm. If I go over, I know I have and leave it at that and know I will pay it. But... when I know that I returned it before 9 pm then I am getting really tired of this. It's not the first time. I always note what time I am in my car driving off and on this last night, it was a couple minutes before 9 pm but they still charged me like it was after 9 pm.

I know my close was exactly correct to the time, even the radio announcer mentioned it was just before 9 pm. I called them to check what time it actually went into the machine and they are telling me on the 3rd night at 9 pm. Wrong. I KNOW that's not true. Just getting old. Maybe streaming is more what I need to do. No more Redbox. I think I will delete my account and card info.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I called Redbox over a game I rented and late fees and they were the over-the-top nicest people to deal with. And this is not the first time I got super great customer service from Redbox!!! Damn, it made my day!

Redbox Company Information

www.redbox.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use