Redbox

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Got video yesterday, they charged for 3 days. Customer service told me not to worry about it. OK, right, scammers. They charged for two days and I closed my account and told them never to contact me again. Good riddance.

Rented a movie March 26. Returned the movie the same day. They are saying that it wasn't returned and that I have to pay 37.00 for this movie. I tried to speak with someone local but their customer service reps are first off hard to understand. This business has their customer service in the Philippines and no one local that can help dispute a debt. Ridiculous. I will never go to Redbox again. Worst customer service I have had in a long time.

I purchased a Blu-ray DVD online yesterday and had a credit on my account, so I ticked the box for "credit" and it applied the credit, yet I receive an email notification that I paid Redbox $2.13. What?! So I had a chat conversation with a rep. Although I used a credit, they still used my card and said the charge would drop off in 5-7 days. WHY ARE THEY CHARGING MY CARD IF I HAD A CREDIT. I SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CHARGED IF I'M USING A CREDIT! This company engages in very deceptive business practices and they need to change their policy before someone makes them liable for their actions! NOT happy!

Just as the other individual on April 4th in Austin, I too was charged for a DVD I returned on April 1st in Austin. I argued sooo long stating I did in fact return two that day and it only recorded the one. They charged me $38 flipping dollars and said they would credit me 10. I DON’T WANT TEN MEASLY DOLLARS. I WANT ALL OF MY $38. I WAS WRONGFULLY CHARGED! Never again!! Used to use Redbox frequently but now likewise it's Amazon Prime Video.

Long story short. I love my movies. I spent $2300 with Redbox last year. I love the concept, the value of the product and the fair pricing. However, their customer service team is horrendous! I lost my debit card. My bank put a freeze on it for me. I found my debit card. My bank unfroze my card. It works everywhere EXCEPT Redbox. No problem, I thought, I'll just call Redbox and have them reinstate my card. The first time I called I was on hold for 5 minutes. The gentleman was nice, he asked for my card number, my name and my zip code where my card is issued. I gave him the information and he told me that my card might not work tonight but by tomorrow at the least my card would work.

I tried for the next four days and still no good. I called again, I waited on hold for 18 minutes! A lady answered and I could barely hear her with her children screaming in the background. She told me that in order to rent from Redbox again, I would need to cancel my card, get a new BANKING card and that was the ONLY way to rent movies again. When I disagreed she told me to GET OVER IT!

The next day, I called back hoping to get someone else. On hold for 16 minutes! I'm guessing it was the same lady due to the children in the background, curious, I explained my issue again. "No problem sir, your card might not work today, but will be back on tomorrow at the latest." ALL I WANTED WAS MY CARD REINSTATED, A CLICK OF A BUTTON ON A COMPUTER! That was a week ago. I don't know why but I would like to remain a customer. Mainly because it's a cheap way to have a family night with my children. I can't imagine how many customers/revenue Redbox has lost who aren't as patient as myself from nothing more than dealing with a customer service department. Sad shame.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Constant problems with renting, returning, bad promo codes, you name it. When you call customer service it takes forever to get through and when you do it's to someone with a very thick accent that's hard to understand. Lots of reading from a script and spouting empty bs lines at you. Chat help is even worse. Totally unhelpful and borderline rude. A few years ago customer service was actually helpful and you had the option to email the company with any problems. They've removed that option and obviously moved phone customer service out of the country. You couldn't pay me to use Redbox even one more time. Totally not worth it - I'll gladly pay a few more dollars to rent through Amazon Prime, a company with amazing customer service. Redbox could learn a thing or two from them.

When you go to a kiosk to rent a movie it doesn't tell you anything about time limits or anything to do with that. If you go on their website it gives the information, but that doesn't help much when you don't see a need to visit the site. They added the full charge to my account for a movie rental without any sort of warning about it or reminder. I feel like there should be something additional than a confirmation e-mail - maybe some sort of reminder that your rental is about to expire and you have to keep the movie. It's not like the disc is in great condition and I could've bought the damn thing for less through Amazon. Thank you Redbox for giving me a reason to going back to a better company and not wasting another penny on your worthless company.

I tried to sign in today. I've had the same email and password over 2 years. Could not get in. It kept saying wrong password. I haven't logged in my phone so it wasn't a long wrong password. Now I am blocked for 30 minutes. I decided to call the rep. Well they were no help. They said all you have to login on a computer. I don't have a computer. I've been logging in on this Samsung tablet for years. I do everything on my tablet no issue. Now I'm upset. Called back I said "is your site down. It's not working." "No you need a computer." They don't know what the world is talking about.

The customer service is the worst. They have no answer to your questions so they blame it on whatever you're working with whatever your phone or your tablet. Next they will be blaming the computer. I don't understand how these people get jobs when they do absolutely nothing. Let's put real people in there that know what they're doing and how they fix an issue or at least be honest. They sound like they would half asleep.

I purchased a movie from a Redbox at around 7:00 pm. Around 2 am in the morning one of my other debit cards that I NEVER use before at a Redbox got charged two separate transactions. One for 13.00 and another for 83.00! I was pissed!!! I called the 1800 number and tried to explain that I never use that card to purchase a DVD and it was like talking to a brick wall!! I was told that it was because of late fees. How in the hell does 100$ amount from a 1.00 movie rental. I asked how much do they charge for a late fee and couldn't get answer. Maybe she did, I just couldn't comprehend what she was saying!!! They should have people on the phone that speaks fluent English!! If owed anything I should of been issued a billing statement explaining those so called fees!! Only the IRS should be allowed to take money out of your account without your consent! I disputed the charge and canceled my card. I doubt I will never get my 100$ back.

Save yourself from the nightmare of renting from Redbox. I thought I was renting from a safe place but I was fooled. I rented a couple of movies for family night. I had no clue as to what was to come. After a couple of days I get a charge on my bank card for $89. After countless phone calls and 30 min on hold I was able to speak to a so called manager which she said there was no record of the movies being returned. After a few minutes of back and forth she offered to return $30 so I said, "Since you're charging me $89 bucks for a movie that I don't have can you send it back to me since I bought the movie." She slipped and said one of the movies I returned was rented out today. Remind you she said I didn't return the movies. People don't do it to yourself. Save yourself the time and trouble and buy the movie on demand.

I should've learned my lesson when I had problems renting from them before. I was charged for 3 days even though I returned the DVD's on the 2nd day! Plus, one of the DVD's didn't work. When I called to complain, the rep gave me 2 promo codes. One of them didn't work. When I called Again, another rep said he couldn't give me another promo code. I asked to speak to the manager and he said he couldn't transfer me and that there's no way for him to do this. I've asked again to speak to an American rep or Manager and he hung up! I called one more time and the same rep answered and said he couldn't transfer me to a manager - What?! I recorded the entire conversation and plan to send this to my attorney friend so he can send it to Redbox. This is Ridiculous!! Never again, Redbox. I've told my entire family (believe me, there's plenty of us around) NOT to rent from you. Crazy!! DON'T Rent from them!!

I haven't rented a Redbox movie in months but they continue to take money out of my account. I've asked them several times to stop stealing from me. Their thievery is bouncing my account and I'm sick of it. I'm tempted to file charges of credit card fraud.

I have had trouble with movies being unwatchable as of late. I lost a movie this week and they are charging my credit card $25.50 for the movie which is an unfair price for a used movies. I got online to chat with customer service and they just said basically that is the way it is, regardless that I have been a customer for years and never lost one movie. I understand it is fair to charge someone for a lost movie but not such an outrageous price. The agent ended the chat abruptly before I was finished with my questions. Very rude customer service. I will no longer use Redbox and go for Netflix instead who has much better customer service. I want to warn others.

2 out of 3 disc rented in one week from Redbox did not play. First time I waited 27 minutes to talk to someone. One credit was issued. Second time same week, waited 27 minutes in line. One credit issued. Redbox makes it nearly impossible to reach them and when you do they do not repay the consumer for the time and trouble. One credit is not satisfactory. I hate Redbox and will never purchase another one.

I rented a game for my son and when we got home he realized he already had the same game (It was Call of Duty Modern something. I think there are a billion versions of this game). Anyways we returned the game the next evening and did not think anything else of it. Several months later I am charged $75 and some change from Redbox. I call customer service. I explained the situation and they rep gladly processed the refund and told me that it was an error on their part and that it would be handled. Weeks go by and no refund money from them at all. Calling customer service and trying to explain this is a complete JOKE and they do not take me seriously!!! Now they are refusing to give me back my money at all due to an error on their part! Redbox will never have my business again! They stole my money and are refusing to give it back! They need to be shut down!!!

I was given a gift card for Christmas - yay with the experience I've had they should have kept their money. Gift Card - You can only use it if you log in through a desktop. You are only allowed to get 2 movies no matter your remaining balance. I don't think they have those rights. It's my gift and I didn't ask for it just stuck with it. Such an issue I rarely even use it. Today I decided to rent 2 movies for my granddaughter and 2 for me only to be declined as they only allow 2 movies per day with your gift card. They have no right to hold my gift card hostage. It's not their money someone already paid for it so it's mine unless they would like to completely refund the transaction and then they can control whatever.

I've been renting movies from this company since they opened their kiosk boxes in our town. I've had many issues with boxes out of order when I get there to pick up or return. I'm not a happy Redbox customer since they want to control my gift card which I never asked for and the next person that gives me one I'm gonna tell them the thought was nice but keep the credits for themselves as I rarely access a desktop and refuse to allow someone to control my money or purchases. I would tell them but they clearly don't care. I'm not even sure these people are in the United States.

I just want everyone to know about a policy that Redbox has. A month ago my bank card was compromised and used at a Redbox out of state. The bank canceled the debit card and all was good... until I was charged $145 on my new debit card for games that were never returned! I called the bank and Redbox. Redbox told me their policy is if a card has been closed it will automatically try to link to a new card associated with that customer. I don't know how this is possible or legal, but beware of Redbox!

I usually rent DVDs all the time from Redbox, and they charge me separately for each DVD plus charge me for the entire transaction. Then several days after returning my DVDs they finally give me my money back and only charge me for the total transaction. I rented on the 25th of January, and was finally charged on the 13th of February, I was trying to figure out why I was charged so late, thinking someone else used my card. So I call and the lady (that barely spoke English) told me that's how their card system works. But the charge for the 25th was from when I rented on the 20th. So how is it that I get charged after 5 days for one transaction, but it takes them 19 days to charge me for another??? I don't know any card system that does that. They are ridiculous and I will never use them again!

First of all, I am sick of trying to communicate with someone who cannot speak plain English or cannot understand me. Second, I always get cut off when I try to speak with someone. Now they removed the only box in our town and there is no other boxes within 50 miles. And finally, the dvdx they have seem to be "Rental Only" meaning there is no extras in the DVD. I have tried numerous times to cancel my account but cannot. I finally called someone who spoke decent English and she said my account was canceled, but when I asked her how come I can still log in on their website, she could not answer. They are stupid and never again will I support them.

They charged me for movies that I returned the day after renting and now are telling me that I have to pay the balance off before they will refund my card. It was their mess up and my card was charged for 5 days worth of movies that I only had overnight. I could barely understand both of the ladies I talked to and am getting a complete run around. I will NEVER rent from Redbox again.

I rented the movie Sully in line. It gave me the option to add another movie and take 50 cents off. When I went to the kiosk to pick up the movies; the kiosk was not working. I called Redbox and the lady apologized and gave me 2 free rentals. I then tried to rent Sully and the other movie from a different kiosk. It would not let me rent Sully as it said I already had it at the other kiosk.

I called Redbox again and got a rep who could barely speak English. I told her what happened and she told me I would have to rent it directly from the kiosk for 24 hours. I explained that I rented online so I would get my 50 cents off. She said that I had been given 2 free rentals and I should use them. I said that I didn't want to use them that day. I guess that was too much for her to comprehend. Then, a couple of days ago I checked my email and there was a survey asking me about my customer service. I clicked on the link and it said the survey was expired. I guess they don't really want to know how my experience was. I think going into a store with real people is a much better option.

The company's business model is renting movies and games but yet time after time they put unplayable discs in their machines. No quality control whatsoever. Finally I was fed up and was looking to get my money back this last time. So after going through all the little tricks they try to pull to frustrate you to give up on going through the process, all they offer is a promo code!! I wasn't letting that happen so I called, sat on hold forever then get offered a promo code again!! After losing my cool they offered a refund in 5-7 days. In a sea of competition you failed. If you're gonna offer a unreliable product then have a good refund process in place or just make sure your product works in the first place.

I'd rather go to my local Family Video if there were one in my area than to Redbox. Redbox doesn't have much of a selection, & the only movies I've enjoyed from this company are certain Disney & Family movies. Most of the other movies don't have ratings above three stars; which I agree with. A lot of the movies I rent from them are mediocre.

I purchased the Gift Card for a Christmas gift. The codes they give are incorrect, half of them didn't work. I was so embarrassed, I wish I had gone with dvds from the store. I've called customer service and they claim the codes are fine. I had given it as a gift to my stepfather so I was able to try them myself, they did not work. Redbox told me they can not do refunds. Never again!

Our card was somehow used in a different state at a Redbox machine. We immediately notified Redbox and our bank. The card was canceled and we were assured that the issue was noted on our account. A few weeks later we received an email charging us $54.70 for unreturned movies that we did not rent. We immediately reached out to Redbox to again notify them that these charges were fraudulent and to remove the movies from our account. They confirmed via a supervisor that they would remove the charges and the movies and an email was sent after the call as a record. Then a few days later they charged us for that amount!

Redbox contacted Visa for our new card number, which for some reason was given to them even though we had removed our info from our account. When contacting Redbox yet again they promised to resolve the issue and surprise, surprise these movies are still on our account. Literally, the WORST customer service I have ever received. They should be embarrassed on the sheer level of incompetency from their CS department.

I rented a couple of movies in December for 2 days and returned them. After my movies were returned, I started noticing more and more charges. I called and spoke to an representative. He confirmed that the movies had been returned and any pre-authorization charge would go back on my card 7-10 days depending on my bank. So after charging my card twice for pre-authorization, I'm still waiting. Then they charge my card again for renting the movies. I looked at my account today, I've been charged again for movies I don't have!! I called the complaint line. Waited 10 minutes to talk to someone. Gave the representative the last 4 digits of my credit card, my zip code and my name, she hung up on me.

Called back, wait another 10 minutes, asked to speak to a supervisor, got hung up on again, called again, wait another 10 minutes. Finally got a hold of someone so I can wait another half an hour for the supervisor, so she can hang up on me again without even talking to me! Great customer service. So tired of being hung up on without solving my issue. I has to notify my bank of issue, so I can dispute the charges. These people are ridiculous and rude! I don't understand how this company is still in business and why some of these still have jobs! I will NEVER EVER RENT from again!

I too have been a victim of this company and their nefarious business practices. I have been doubled billed and I have called them and complained to no avail. I resolve the issue by contacting my bank. They are outsourced to some Third World sewer! No one seems to have full comprehension of the English language! Do yourself a favor and never rent anything from Redbox!

I've been a Redbox customer for a few years now, mostly Netflix (but they've bombed as well) and during my faithful few years, I have experienced a rollercoaster in Redbox in terms of movie quality. Firstly, as time has gone by, I have noticed that Redbox seems to be taking a liking to crappy ripoff movies that aren't worth the rental fee. Secondly, I have noticed many movies returning to Redbox that are themselves NOT "NEW" (as Redbox tags them in the selection list). Redbox, there are NEW movies, and then there are RETURNING movies. Thirdly, I rented "Amityville Terror" and noticed that Redbox had its release year as 2017 when this movie was made at least about a year ago, AND Redbox dubbed it "NEW". Holy **, Redbox. Stop ripping your customers off; stop putting ** movies in your rental machines; and stop dubbing old movies as "NEW". WTF happened to you guys???

I had rented 2 dvd's from Redbox about 2 weeks ago and I kept forgetting to return them. Well now I look at the account and Redbox charged me almost 65 dollars for not returning the DVD. I'm sorry but I'm done with them. I'll wait till it come out at Walmart and places like that to get it than being charged 65 dollars.

I will never rent from Redbox again! They have the worst customer service I have ever come across. After 3 phone calls and 5 chats my account issue was not resolved. Every contact I spoke with gave me different and/or conflicting information on how to solve problem. On December 1st I realized my account was set up with an old email that I did not access. I did not remember my password to access account to change my email. They will send you a link to reset password but in my case it would have went to an email I could not access so I called - after explaining this issue numerous times I was told my only option was to contact the old email provider to get the passcode Redbox sent me.

The next day I called again and told the same story again and was told to just make a new account. I did that but my payment card was tied to the old account so I could not add it to new one... Called yet again and was told that I needed to edit the old account before adding to new one - IF I COULD GET INTO THE OLD ONE I WOULD NOT NEED TO BE MAKING A NEW ACCOUNT - right? Wrong... After numerous days I finally was able to gain access to my old account, without any help from Redbox, managed to delete the card but still could not add to new account. Another call and I was told the old account had to be deleted by Redbox then I could add the same card to the new account. I tried accomplish that many times over the next two weeks but was not successful.

The next customer service contact told me that my old account had been deleted per my request and to wait 3-5 business days and try again. Still did not work in that amount of time so I contacted them again and now was told that once an account is deleted none of that information can be used again. Last week I could access the new account but could not rent due to no payment card - today I cannot even access that account. When I called today I was told that account had been deleted also! Even if I wanted to do business with this company I would not be able to set up a new account unless I got another new email address and a new payment card. After close to a month of trying to resolve this issue I am frustrated and disappointed in Redbox and what they consider customer service. Beware! Years of loyalty with this company will count as nothing with them - they do not care if their customers are happy!

Redbox Company Profile