1.10/5

738 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

So I'm not a very happy customer. I have been noticing that when I rent a movie, I have been getting overcharged. I called spoken customer service and found out that when a your rentals are reserved you immediately get charged for that day. However I have not seen anything that tells you that you will be. If I knew I would get charged for my online rentals when I dont pick them up until the next day. I would not wait till the next day. Redbox needs to make this clear to their customers. I believe this is their way of overcharging customers. Not sure if I will rent from them ever again.

Original review: May 6, 2019

If I could rate Redbox -10 I would. Literally the WORST to rent from. I rented a game and unfortunately it didn’t work so I kept the game because I didn’t want to return it and get charged and I didn’t want someone else to get a broken game anyways. I got a $56.00 dollars charge to my account and I was like what the heck, called them to see why and explained why I haven’t returned the game. They told me to return the game and they will mark it so no one could get the messed up game and refunds will take 5-10 business days.

So fast forward to 2 weeks later I got another charge to my account for 36.00 dollars. Redbox charged me again for the same game!!! I called them later that day and they informed me that I had to pay off my own refund! Yes you seen it correct! I HAVE TO PAY OFF MY OWN REFUND so I have to pay 80.00 dollars just for me to turn around and get it back a week later. Like what? This is NOT acceptable at all. I DON'T recommend Redbox like at all. Please don’t rent from here. It’s terrible.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Redbox is the worst company ever! I got charged 29.992 times for 2 DVD's that I returned the very next day and on top of that the charges weren't even until 2 months later and it overdraft my account. So I be returned 2 movies got charge $60 on top of that. When I 1st went to get the movies the movies were not working so I had to return the movies 3 different times. This company’s very unfair. I called to get a refund and they said they couldn't find the movie so they will not refund me anything. This is the worst company ever to take your money and they're not even help you for taking it. That's probably why they're losing business!!!!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Charged me 32 dollars for a movie I returned the next day. They are ripoff artists. I am not happy and will tell everyone to beware of this crap. I dont know why I ever used them in the first place. Pain in the **.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I had a movie get damaged and couldn't return it. I was charged $64 repeatedly until funds came available on that card. I can understand that I need to pay for the movie. But charging $64 is downright outrageous. Smh. I can't believe there isn't a law to stop this type of thing from happening.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had a movie overnight and returned it. A couple of weeks later I get charged $37. Redbox tells me it hasn’t been rented since. Not my problem, I don’t know or care what the issue is but this was returned. I questioned how they can charge that much for a used movie that’s worth $10 or $20 new. They explain this is lost revenue. I asked if this was sold out at any time during this timeframe and it wasn’t. I asked about ongoing problems with this specific machine and got a generic response that a technician will look at it. The supervisor was literally raising her voice and talking over me, cutting me off. I’d NEVER get away with this and deal with customers by phone as well. BUYER BEWARE. Unless you’re willing to chance paying $37 for a used movie stay away. Taking this up with my bank.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I went to multiple locations to rent a Redbox movie and even tried the reserve feature and didn't work. Let me place the order but couldn't pick it up. I spoke to my bank. They said my card working just fine. Spoke with Redbox CSR through Facebook and didn't get any help. Was basically told you're ** out of luck. Got the whole conversation if you want to see it for yourself.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I rented three movies from Redbox and they never played. I tried to return them and the Redbox was down. I called them and they told me to return the movies and they would be issuing me back my money for the broken Disks. All I had to do is return them and wait 7 to 10 business days. I have returned the disks to a different box. It's been 7 to 10 business days and they have charged my card again! They have sent me an email about it, 70 dollars more and they still are going to charge me again for 29 more dollars! I called and got hung up on twice by two different people! The third person said they could not issue me a refund until all the money was paid! I was never informed that they would be charging my card again!

I was told I would be getting a refund. You know returning my money since the movies never played! He had to ask his supervisor if they could return my money! He said yes but now I am banned from Redbox! That is their policy! He said just that card???? That's fine! I won't have a problem not being your customer again! I have never had this ever happen before and then get punished for their faulty customer service and products that will not play!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I just got off the phone with their customer service. And it was the worst I’ve ever experienced. I returned all my movies and was just charged $40. When I called to get my money refunded...I was told they wouldn’t give me money back, accused of keeping the disk, and told me that no matter that it wasn’t my fault it’s how a business should be run...that if they don’t have a record regardless that it’s not the customer’s fault they get charged for it. For an item I don’t possess.

Where I come from that is called theft. I’m absolutely furious right now and flabbergasted that this is how they treat customers. Instead of making their error right...they speak rudely and accuse them of things then refuse to give the money back. I’m reporting them to the Consumer Protection Bureau, FTC, BBB whoever will help.

Original review: April 3, 2019

1 minute late will charge you for the whole next day... Customer service is rude, they talk down on you like you're the enemy over 1 dollar..! I had to totally pretend to be kissing butt and apologize a thousand times for the rep to reluctantly refund my money for the 1 minute extra day... What good is the company if they're rude and don't care about taking advantage of its customers..?

Original review: April 1, 2019

I rented 14 DVD movies @1.75 each over the weekend. The disks were returned hours before the deadline. Currently, approximately 45.00 had been deducted from my bank account instead of 24.50. I was told the money would be put back in my account in 7 business days. I received only one transaction receipt in my email account and my transaction history on Redbox site only showed the last 4 disks I rented. I called their customer service number and was hung up on twice. I finally reached a person that said they would document my complaint. Still out over 20.00 in cash for at least 7 days. This is abusing the privileges the consumer is granting Redbox in good faith to deduct what you're purchasing from your bank account. Redbox just lost a customer of 9 years in good standing. Too many other ways to get the movies you want to watch without being treated as an untrustworthy customer. Totally disgusted!

Original review: March 30, 2019

I tried to return a movie I rented, but the box was full. Redbox charged me twice like was my fault. They said that I could go to another Redbox to drop the DVD, but I am not going waste my time trying to find a box that actually is working. You can keep the money, you lost a client.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I’ve Rented from Redbox previously without any problems. Until recently, when I noticed a charge on my bank statement from Redbox totaling $126.44, for movies that were already returned. I called customer service thinking this is clearly a mistake as I’m able to provide emailed receipt from them proving they were returned. Nope. Apparently not. I’m done. This is a fraudulent company.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I rented a DVD with a coupon code that was supposed to be FREE. Redbox has authorized my card 3 times!!! My bank has initiated an investigation. I tried to delete my card from my account, but they have it hidden, I can't access it and they say they can't do it when I call. They are too SHADY for me and will NEVER use them again.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Rented a movie Dec 1 2018. Billed 3/18/2019. A simple email or call and we could have resolved whatever the issue was. They are unwilling to help. I called and chatted with them and they said that for 15 weeks my account had no funds which is incorrect.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I bought Aquaman on the Redbox Beta app on my new Samsung 4k HDTV. I attempted to play the movie and it kept throwing an error code. Redbox was trying to blame my internet service, but it's funny how Amazon Prime and Netflix had no problems at all playing. Redbox offered no solution nor a refund on a movie I can't watch. So I'm out 22.00 and a movie.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have used Redbox for years and never had a problem until now. I rented 2 movies and somehow I lost one of the movies. So when I rented the movie, Redbox asked me if I would like to buy it for 6,99 but I had rented it instead. So I called to talk to a customer service agent and explained the situation. I asked if I could go ahead and buy the movie for 6,99 to make things right. The lady that I spoke to said that there was nothing that can be done and I will be charged $29 and change. She interrupted me several times and did not put me on hold or offer me a chance to speak to a manager to help with this. After this, I doubt that I will being using their services again.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Rented a game on their 3 day special promotion for 7 dollars and was charged 14 dollars. Game was turned in hours before 3 days had elapsed. This is the last time I'll use Redbox. I have had multiple issues before and the fault has always been on their end. They are a deceptive company and I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 2, 2019

They keep trying but I froze them from getting any money from my account but they keep charging my card. This company's criminal ways and scanless ways of taking people money for movies never rented yet to them you did and laughing. They need to be shut down. Pathetic. Yes. Consumer THESE I need your help. Have you read all these. People's stories are of them overrunning and taking people's money. I know I come here hoping that...as Consumer Affair rep... Your tough people that goes after companies like this.

I think we all should get as a bunch get a lawyer and proceed in a lawsuit against Redbox. Get what they took from us and take it all the way 'cause people if we don't yell we're pissed and I'm not taking this. Maybe we can save another from going thru this nightmare. Anyways... Redbox got me for $850.00 (times 5 times so $850.00 × 5 is way too much) for movies I never rented I'm not affording it. SO. IF A LAWYER reads these all for sure be honored to take Redbox to court. Then to once upon a time. Redbox loves taking and taking and taking more.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We rented a game from Redbox in December to only find out the case was empty. When we called customer service we were first told that it was impossible for the case to be empty, then we were told that the case would be taken out of circulation. Sure they gave us a code for a free night rental but we rented the game for 3 nights. Fast forward to the end of February we decide to buy a game, well SURPRISE the case was empty! Now we are told there's nothing they can do but offer a one night rental free and refund the money in 5-7 business days. Needless to say we won't be using Redbox anymore.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

So for the last few months (Oct '18-Mar '19) my card has been unable to be authorized at every Redbox. I don't have a balance due, and I've turned in all my games on time. This is the third time I've been declined, and the third time I have called. Nobody has a single clue what's going on. All I get told is "I don't know what is wrong with your account, let me escalate this". Nobody ever follows up with me. I never get a phone call or email back letting me know the status of my account.

To this day my account hasn't been fixed. Today I asked to speak with a supervisor instead of "being escalated". I got put on hold for about 25 minutes and honestly thought they forgot about me. Their employees obviously don't care. When I got transferred to a supervisor, he told me all he could do was submit an inquiry about the status of my card and guess what else...ESCALATE THE ISSUE! Wow! Is this the extent of power Redbox gives their supervisors? I used to rent games 2-3 times a week from them. We used to have a really good thing going on.

They can forget about that now, sick of getting jerked around over something that should be fixed relatively easily. I will make it a point to never bother with renting their product again. I will make it a point to tell every single one of my friends what it's like to be a loyal customer to Redbox for years, only to be told to wait through the red tape and bureaucracy before my card can be authorized again. You know what? It isn't worth the wait, guys. Stop giving them your business. Force them to fix their errors. Spending 10 minutes to write this was worth the time, compared to the half hour I spent on hold just to be told by a supervisor to kick rocks. So long, Redbox!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

The Only conclusion I can come to after having so many problems trying to post movie reviews is that Redbox is deliberately preventing reviews on movies that turn out to be "X" rated and movies that EVERYONE hates!!! Be warned. If a movie has No reviews and says "be the first to write a review" it's because EVERYONE submitting a review has given it 1 star only because you can't give it zero stars!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Do not rent at Redbox! I have not rented a movie there in a year. The last the three months I have been having problems with someone using the kiosks across the country using my credit card three times. I have got a new card number each time. Once someone gets a hold of your card information they will keep charging your card. They are thieves. In three occasions it has happened to me. Redbox also tried to charge me on my last card that was brand new for a game that was not returned. I ended up totally canceling my credit card now. This will affect my credit!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Just before Christmas I noticed a Redbox rental fee on my bank statement. I’ve never used Redbox. EVER! I contacted my bank and filed a fraudulent charge report. They closed the card and issued me a new one. Soon, Redbox was attempting to bill me $73 for the disk that was never returned. The charge was reversed and I thought that was the end of it. A month later Redbox is attempting to bill me again for the same missing disk. I had to contact my bank AGAIN and file a report, which forced me to close my card AGAIN and destroy it. Redbox insists the rental was made using my card and I know it’s IMPOSSIBLE since I only have one card and it’s with me at all times. Now I see it has happened to other people. There is a larger issue Redbox needs to address within their billing system. Maybe a class-action lawsuit needs to be brought against them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Every time I have an issue renting or returning with Redbox I have initiated a "chat" with customer service. After 10, 15 or 20 minutes of unhelpful help from the person in another country I end up more pissed than when I started. Ya, I know... I should have learned my lesson the 1st time but it took me 3 times. 2 times I've returned the discs and they don't show returned and they keep charging me. This time I reserved them online and picked up at the box and the box won't work. The customer service department simply tells me they will give me a promo code for my future rentals. No... not anymore. I'm done!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I am extremely upset with this company. I can't understand anyone answering the phones there. I went out (using my gas) to go get a movie. I chose Redbox to purchase my movie from. I got the movie and came home to watch. The movie won't play. I call in (to people that don't understand English and don't speak it very well at all). I am told that I have to go back out (using my gas again) for this $1.75 movie and return it and rent it again. Tell me why I have to go back out and do this all over again for a "Redbox issue" when they have the ability now to "make it right".

I should have been offered to stream it on Redbox on Demand so I wouldn't be inconvenienced more than I already am? This is just wrong. So as a customer, I am the one that has to make it right? Then I ask to speak to a Supervisor, of course I'm put on hold...for 22 minutes (very unprofessional). I sat on hold only to be told that the "Supervisor is still busy". Wow. Is that unprofessional or what? Then I was told there was no way that they could compensate me by doing "Redbox On Demand" but that they would transfer me to On Demand...what in the world??? I had to hang up. I was about to use words I shouldn't (Especially on Sunday!).

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was charged 100.46 for three movies. I can understand a charge for not returning, but these are movies people are renting over and over. That makes them used movies. I stopped using them before and I will never use them again. And I will be telling people to never use them. That is a ripoff. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We had always used to rent movies at Redbox, but then we noticed that they were charging twice for the movies, so I called them and explain what was happening so the lady I spoke with said, "We will refund the money," and never did, so we stopped using Redbox, not nice to lie to customers!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Scam!!! Overcharged multiple times for rental. Movie was only rented for a few hours but debit was charged multiple times. I called to ask for my stolen money to be returned and told them I was recording the conversation to post on social media so that the public would know how they are stealing from their customers and they hung up on me twice. I asked to speak with a supervisor and again... They hung up on me. Redbox scams and steals from their customers. We will never use Redbox again!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was just charged $55.00 for late fees. The rate Redbox charges is almost 4 times what blockbuster used to charge. At least Block would notify you when you reached $15.00 in late fees. Redbox is all about LATE FEE CHARGES. THIS COMPANY HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER!!! SCREW YOU REDBOX!!

Redbox Company Information