Redbox

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have noticed that after we rent from Redbox we are charged at the time of rental and like a day or two later a higher price for the same movies that we have already returned! Will not rent from them ever again. Thieving con artists.

DO NOT use Redbox. Or BEWARE if you do. I rented movies from them recently and then turned those movies in within 5 days and I was charged for 3 of the 4 movies. After contacting them I was told that I never turned the movies in and that they could not find any proof of the movies being brought back. I tried to explain that I don't have any of their property but they said that they could do nothing. So I was charged $91.59 for movies that I put back in their box. I hope that if you rent from them please be cautious because I know that I turned them in and I was charged for something that I do not have.

I'm really disappointed with this company for they are rip offs. They charge my bank account 2 for the same CD. I am not happy and plain not going back. There is no receipt at all and it was my checking account they charged. It's under my email address or name.

I have rented form Redbox many times. Every now and then we get a dvd that requires me to download and pay for drivers to watch the dvd. It is not all the time or even often. When I called Redbox they denied that their DVD required us to download a specific driver to watch it and said it was an issue with my player. When I explained that I had tried the dvd in both my player and computer and got the same message even though all my drivers are up to date. They said that Redbox was not responsible for the message and that they did not make any money from downloads. However it is their dvd requiring us to download from a site they have choose and pay for it before being able to watch a dvd I have already paid to rent. So they are making money off the downloads.

This is like buying an airline ticket, checking your bags, taking your seat and then being told that you must pay extra to put fuel in the plain before it can fly, and the fuel must come only from the airline's preferred supplier even when there are many other sources at less cost or free. Redbox is scamming their customers. Their customer service is poor. The State Attorney General's Office needs to investigate this scam.

They must hire people with little education so they don't have to spend much to have their site on the computer and phone work properly. Always have trouble with resetting passwords and/or user names. I have had to delete and re-create completely new accounts because the password resetting process invariably fails.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

This is the 4th time I've had a DVD not work. I report it all that comes back is return by 9pm and I want be charged another day. I shouldn't be charged anything if the DVD doesn't play!!! I will not be renting anymore.

I am so mad right now, I rented 3 movies from Red Box online, put my card information to the system and paid for them. When I get to the machine, it's broken. I call Red Box, I tell them I have already paid for the movies but the machine is out of service so I can't get the movies out that I paid for. Because I have a new credit card, my other one expired, they said the daily limit is 3, they can't refund my account but they can give me a credit. So I have a credit, but they won't do anything about the 3 movie limit for the first time a card is used. I said then raise the limit to at least one more, I just want to watch a movie with my friends that are waiting with their kids or transfer the movies to another location. They wouldn't do that. So now I've paid for them, my friend and family are sitting there waiting for me so we can all eat and watch a movie.

An HOUR later and 3 levels of managers and they won't do anything. All 3 managers gave the absolute WORST customer service. They all talked over me, not just on accident for a second but they would continue to talk over me the whole time I was trying to make a point. I NEVER cry but I'm so mad that I'm in uncontrollable tears. How can they get away with this?! They are a HUGE company and technology is incredible so you're telling me, they can't raise the limit by one movie in order to not ruin our night and they can't transfer my rentals to another kiosk nearby??? That's crap.

As I type this review, I have been on hold for 35 minutes waiting to speak with someone I can understand. It is quite unfair to the customer to call in with something as serious as a 28 dollar charge to their bank account and not be able speak with someone... I am convinced the last put me on hold with no intention to return. She stated she was getting a supervisor but here we are 25 minutes later. This is outrageous. They also just lost a VERY loyal customer who spends a lot of money with them. Not anymore!

Charged $25 for movie I returned-I wanted to post my experience because there are a lot of complaints that Redbox does not care and that they will not give you your money back when there is a mistake made by their system. I called in confident that I had returned a movie along with another movie I rented at the same time even though the system says I did not return it. I was kind to the customer service rep that helped me because we all know they are just the front lines of a large company so there is no reason to be rude with them if they are just doing their job. I gave her detailed information about the movie. The tracking ID for the movie. The date and time I returned the movie and the location.

By giving her the information I was hoping she could tell that I was prepared to prove I had returned it. She said she believed me that I did bring the movie back. She then put me on hold to research the inquiry. When she came back of course she had no record of the movie in her system. She asked if I had a confirmation email. I told her "no." She said that she would refund the entire amount except a 1 day late charge. She reminded me that I should always check my emails and if we notice no confirmation for a disc we should call them immediately so they can resolve the issue without this delay. I told her, "Thank you so much" and that we love renting from Redbox.

We have ordered from Redbox hundreds of times and had only a few issues regarding unworking DVDs. After ordering several damaged orders, our youngest child wanted to desperately crying and unwillingly backing down, we rented her Moana (for the 3rd time via REDBOX) so she could watch it with her Daddy for his birthday! We rented 3 other movies for us and of course, THEY WERE UNPLAYABLE! Damaged goods should be the company's name, but I suppose they call it Redbox because you will turn red in anger from that box! HIRE WORKERS TO CHECK EACH AND EVERY DVD/GAME/BLU-RAY BEFORE REFILLING ON TUESDAYS!!! I was placed on hold numerous times by 2 different employees and hung up on after requesting to speak with any supervisor! Customer service and more diligence and attention to all devices in each and every Redbox! Netflix and Amazon Prime are what we will continue to rely on!

I received a charge for a video I returned the next day. RETURNED... I was charged $55.21 for a used video. A $19.95 video. It also caused overdrawing my account resulting in a $27.50 charge. I know this is a common practice with Redbox. I could take my family to a movie theater and dinner for these ridiculous charges. I am considering legal action. They should be shut down. They are basically committing theft.

I went to the box to pick up my order, said not at this location. So I went to the one down the block, said not at this location. So I went back home, got on chat and they could not help... blah blah this. So I canceled the ordered DVD and Xbox Game Combo Promo and asked for a refund. They said, "Well we normally don't do this but we will this one time." Like you're doing me a favor. Don't order online, order right at the box. That way you get your order right then and there! As for myself, I am done with this crap. Too many other options online to go through this mess again.

On April 12th 2017 I purchased a movie for 3.99 along with 2 rentals. A month later I got a $27.00 charge on my account for a late rental fee on the purchased 3.99 movie. I called Redbox. The only thing they would do is refund half of the 27.00. Buyer beware!! Redbox scam. Do not purchase from their for sale movies cart!!! They have little to no customer service. Save yourself the trouble and get Netflix. They wouldn't believe they had an error in their system. :/ Horrible service. I had to haggle for half an hour to get the half credit. After years of service I will not use them again. They lost a customer for $13.00, bad business. It will catch up to them.

I have been renting movies there for a long time and always return them on time. I just got a bill charging me almost $40 for a Blu Ray disk that I did return but they can't supposedly find it. I contacted them and they asked me for the exact location where I returned it. I am not entirely sure about the location where I returned it because sometimes I drop them off wherever is closer to where I am at the moment. In any case I gave them the few possible locations where I do it most often. They refused to return me the money. Unfortunately they don't give receipts of returned items at the Redbox so I have no way to prove this.

This is the second issue. A couple months back the Redbox didn't give me the movie I rented and I was charged. I had to called right away and had to wait on hold for almost an hour to get someone to take my call. They did return the money in that case. But I can now see that there is a serious problem with service. I am waiting for the transaction to post to my card so that I can report the issue to my credit card company. I am sure the movie is out there and it is being rented to other people while I pay for it.

I'm really disappointed. I have been using since it open, every weekend we rent movies and games. This past Monday someone broke my car's window and stole all my valuables including my purse and I had my rentals inside because I was going to return them. I made a police report. I have contacted your customer service with this matter and all 2 times I have received no solution but only more charge in my account. The first person said I would have to wait till 17 days and would have to pay 25 dollars for each movie and maybe get a discount. Then the second representative said I would also have to wait 17 days and my charge would be of 37 dollars and there was not much they could do. Please can someone contact me with this matter ASAP. I have the police report and all the information that you need. I appreciated your time.

I have been purchasing Redbox movies for over 3 years. Not once have I kept any of their movies. This past March I rented 3 movies and returned all three on this particular day the machine was having issues. I could return the movies but could not get new ones. 2 months later I receive a 90.00 charge from Redbox... 2 problems with this it is now May and I'm just being charged and I returned the movies... I immediately called Redbox customer service who was rude to me, didn't answer my questions, sat silent on the phone, talked over me and I also spoke with a manager that refused to help. This was wrong on so many levels. This wasn't a small amount of money. This took from my children's mouths. I couldn't buy groceries.

They refused to listen but continued to tell me they can refund me 35.00 and then it jumped to 45.00. I'm being charged for movies I don't have... Why would you refund me back unless you know you are wrong as a company but I deserved all of my money back. Horrible company. Avoid them at all cost. You may as well buy a movie on sale. They will just lie and say you didn't return the movies and charge you 30.00 a piece on movies... Sad.

Redbox dispensed a different movie than the one we requested when making our usual online reservation. We watched the wrong movie and returned it. We are now being charged for not returning the original movie we reserved which we never received. Countless efforts to try to make them understand their mistake have failed.

I rented a movie from a Redbox machine that dispensed the incorrect movie. I watched it anyway and returned it the next day. The Redbox system accepted the return so I assumed all was good. I got a $27.00 charge for not returning the original movie and they didn't credit me for the return of the incorrect movie. So I called customer support and they refused to refund the amount. They weren't rude but they would not recognize that their system had an error and refund the money. I have rented thousands of movies from them since they started and this was my first bad experience. I will not be renting from them again.

I rented a movie on April 15th & returned it back at the same location. Today they send me an email that I was charged over $27 for not returning! I contacted them by phone & social media. Basically they are saying they have no record of it and the charges are valid! REDBOX IS A RIP OFF!!! Do not rent from them!

I recently gave Redbox a try. I returned a movie to a different Redbox location as they advertise and have been charged for the entire cost as they state I did not return it. I contacted the company and after a difficult conversation and request for a supervisor, I was told I would be given a refund for the video. They only refunded $10 out of the $27 charge. I tried to contact them back and they stated that they couldn't look it up because they were updating the system and they just disconnected. I want to let other consumers know of this experience so that they can avoid this service. Extremely disappointed and want to warn users.

Changed my primary credit card. Ordered 3 movies online using new credit card. They never acknowledged the fact by email that change was made. When tried swiping it a kiosk it would not let movies go. Called Redbox, they would not credit my credit card, but emailed me 3 promo codes to be used in 45 days. If it did not allow movies to render the first time, why would it work the second time? Why did they just refund credit card purchase. I wold never use Redbox again.

My husband and I rented three movies on 4/22 and we returned them the same day. The next day (today; 4/23) I get charged $14 for the two movies I already returned. So I called customer service to explain to them and one woman told me that they charged me extra to ensure payment and that it will get refunded automatically back to my bank. Okay. So I call again to verify that it will get returned, and another woman told me that since I didn't return the movies before 9 PM, I was getting charged extra. So I let her know about the other woman and what she said, and her story changed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and it took 10 minutes for me to hear anything from them. Long story short I'm getting my money refunded, and never going back to Redbox.

Credit card acceptance to box — Scanned several times... Not working. Told to try another location, but rented at same location. Running around trying to fix with some hard to understand foreign language! Finally received 1 credit for driving several miles and 45 minutes. Has happened several times. TIME FOR NETFLIX??

I reserved my movies online and went to the kiosk to pick them up. The kiosk was down so I sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes waiting on the phone for a representative. Once on the line I told her what was going on. She asked me to hold. And when she returned she asked me again what was wrong and the line went silent. I knew after about 44 seconds she had muted me so I waited for 2 minutes. After she didn't say anything I spoke and said that, "I know all of your calls are recorded and it is horrible that while calling to report an issue with your kiosk you play like an ass, don't say anything while muting the phone. I hope your quality team listens to this one." And she instantly hung up. I called back 5 additional times and the line disconnected as soon as a rep was on the line. With the last call I immediately requested to speak with a supervisor. She said she needed some basic info so I gave it.to her and she put me on hold.

When she came back on the line she pretended to be the supervisor changing her voice. At this point I'm pissed and tell her I just need your supervisor and then some guy named Alfred comes on the line. I give him the whole story and basically he apologizes offers a refund and says if I want to rent movies I will have to use a different card for payment. I ask him if there is any kind of discount and he says no. So I spent 45 minutes trying to let them know of a broken kiosk and I can't even get 1 free movie after all this. I dislike Trump but damn it would be nice to bring their jobs back to America. Redbox stop using cheap labor for your customer service they are giving you a bad image.

Got video yesterday, they charged for 3 days. Customer service told me not to worry about it. OK, right, scammers. They charged for two days and I closed my account and told them never to contact me again. Good riddance.

Rented a movie March 26. Returned the movie the same day. They are saying that it wasn't returned and that I have to pay 37.00 for this movie. I tried to speak with someone local but their customer service reps are first off hard to understand. This business has their customer service in the Philippines and no one local that can help dispute a debt. Ridiculous. I will never go to Redbox again. Worst customer service I have had in a long time.

I purchased a Blu-ray DVD online yesterday and had a credit on my account, so I ticked the box for "credit" and it applied the credit, yet I receive an email notification that I paid Redbox $2.13. What?! So I had a chat conversation with a rep. Although I used a credit, they still used my card and said the charge would drop off in 5-7 days. WHY ARE THEY CHARGING MY CARD IF I HAD A CREDIT. I SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CHARGED IF I'M USING A CREDIT! This company engages in very deceptive business practices and they need to change their policy before someone makes them liable for their actions! NOT happy!

Just as the other individual on April 4th in Austin, I too was charged for a DVD I returned on April 1st in Austin. I argued sooo long stating I did in fact return two that day and it only recorded the one. They charged me $38 flipping dollars and said they would credit me 10. I DON’T WANT TEN MEASLY DOLLARS. I WANT ALL OF MY $38. I WAS WRONGFULLY CHARGED! Never again!! Used to use Redbox frequently but now likewise it's Amazon Prime Video.

Long story short. I love my movies. I spent $2300 with Redbox last year. I love the concept, the value of the product and the fair pricing. However, their customer service team is horrendous! I lost my debit card. My bank put a freeze on it for me. I found my debit card. My bank unfroze my card. It works everywhere EXCEPT Redbox. No problem, I thought, I'll just call Redbox and have them reinstate my card. The first time I called I was on hold for 5 minutes. The gentleman was nice, he asked for my card number, my name and my zip code where my card is issued. I gave him the information and he told me that my card might not work tonight but by tomorrow at the least my card would work.

I tried for the next four days and still no good. I called again, I waited on hold for 18 minutes! A lady answered and I could barely hear her with her children screaming in the background. She told me that in order to rent from Redbox again, I would need to cancel my card, get a new BANKING card and that was the ONLY way to rent movies again. When I disagreed she told me to GET OVER IT!

The next day, I called back hoping to get someone else. On hold for 16 minutes! I'm guessing it was the same lady due to the children in the background, curious, I explained my issue again. "No problem sir, your card might not work today, but will be back on tomorrow at the latest." ALL I WANTED WAS MY CARD REINSTATED, A CLICK OF A BUTTON ON A COMPUTER! That was a week ago. I don't know why but I would like to remain a customer. Mainly because it's a cheap way to have a family night with my children. I can't imagine how many customers/revenue Redbox has lost who aren't as patient as myself from nothing more than dealing with a customer service department. Sad shame.

Constant problems with renting, returning, bad promo codes, you name it. When you call customer service it takes forever to get through and when you do it's to someone with a very thick accent that's hard to understand. Lots of reading from a script and spouting empty bs lines at you. Chat help is even worse. Totally unhelpful and borderline rude. A few years ago customer service was actually helpful and you had the option to email the company with any problems. They've removed that option and obviously moved phone customer service out of the country. You couldn't pay me to use Redbox even one more time. Totally not worth it - I'll gladly pay a few more dollars to rent through Amazon Prime, a company with amazing customer service. Redbox could learn a thing or two from them.

Redbox Company Profile