1.15/5

689 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I reserved a movie on October 11 in the evening and it said I had until the following day to pick it up. I picked the movie up and returned another the following morning at 8 AM and returned the new rental on the 13th at 7 AM having it less than 24 hours. I was charged a total of $3.82 with tax for 2 days rental and called red box to complain. They said even though I did not pick up the movie I was charged for the entire day of the 11th and 12th, the day I picked it up, or a two-day rental. They claim that they are entitled to charge me for the day I reserve it if I don't pick it up even though I had until the following day at 9 PM to pick it up. I don't think this is right and it's BS.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

So apparently if someone steals your bank information and buys a Redbox movie you're pretty much out of luck. That's what happened to me so I called customer service and now they're claiming they can't find the transaction so there's nothing they can do. The customer service lady was barely even listening to me and kept having me repeat my information three or four times then asked me for the barcode number on the back of the movie after I already told her repeatedly I didn't buy the damn movie. Either she was huffing paint thinner or didn't believe. How are they not able to look it up by the last 4 of the card number?? I have never done business with Redbox before and never will.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The absolute worst company I've ever dealt with, have no care for their customers and any trouble that they may have had. All they care about is getting paid. I'll never use Redbox again in my life. Worst possible people to do business with, thieves.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Have called 4 times about being unable to sign in at Redbox website. No help yet. Told unable to talk to some else who runs website. Have been member for over 10 yrs. Does anyone a phone number that is different than at website?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Please read. Do not scroll down. Do not rent at Redbox! Once they get a hold of your card information they will keep charging your card. They are thiefs. In two occasions it has happened to me. This is if you rent at a Redbox location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Until Redbox makes it right, I am no longer a customer. Their kiosk was not working. A phone call sent me to a wrong kiosk. Upon arrival at the wrong kiosk, they told me that I was at the wrong kiosk, and had to go back to the one I was at before. They did not offer anything to make it right. So, then I drove back to the "right kiosk" and it would not respond. I called them again, and all they decided was that they would refund my money. I drove more than 20 miles, visited 3 locations, and didn't get my movies. Then, they hung up on me. I would rather spend the money to buy the movie at the store, or stream it from Amazon or Netflix.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’ve rented from Redbox On Demand three times now. Not once has it been easy to rent, stream etc. Their codes don’t work, the purchase won’t go through then when it does the movie won’t play, stream, download! Good luck getting help or credit either. You cannot chat because they have no on demand chat help. You cannot just request a refund because you have to talk it out and answer questions every time with still no credit issued. Keep in mind each time I’ve called has been transfers and being out on hold for 15-30 minutes with no help. Redbox has made it impossible to get help, resolve issues and obtain refunds. They need to dissolve their in demand service for it has sucked since day 1. It is not worth the hassle for the cheaper streaming price... and yes I have excellent WiFi and bandwidth. 100% of my TV and movie watching is through streaming services and apps on my TV for the last 8 years.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Really enjoy renting movies at Redbox, but their billing system leaves a LOT to be desired. So, in May I rented a movie, was billed partially through Redbox credit and partially on my credit card. Fast forward to September 15, I notice that more funds have been deducted from my Redbox account. It turns out, according to an email, this amount was for the movie I rented in May and returned after one day -- the one I was already billed from in May. Thinking it was a mistake, I contacted customer service only to be told that it was for the movie in May because they couldn't collect the payment in May due to my bank. I know for a fact (and have receipts to prove) that I had enough money to rent a movie that was under $2. I also had Redbox credit at that time.

The "customer service" rep then said it was because it is a "fully automated system that tries to collect fund every week." Odd since I rented multiple movies in the past 4 months using BOTH the Redbox credit and the credit card that has been tied to my Redbox account for 5 years. Only got scammed out of about $1, but it still kind of ticks me off to be ripped off and then treated like a moron for asking about it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Never been to Redbox. About 2 weeks ago it was apparent that someone had hacked my debit card, there was a charge from Redbox for $8.64. Seems small enough and then there were several charges to some location in San Miguel, California. I only realized this when I went to use my own debit card and it was declined. I contacted the bank. They closed the old debit and re-issued a new card. Fast forward to weeks later, I log onto to my bank account to check that everything is as it should be and I see a Redbox charge for $110.16. I've never been to Redbox. I called Redbox and they have no record of this charge with my card. I also have disputed this with my bank but WTF is going on. I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only one this happened to but I do not understand how this was even possible with a new debit card. NEVER USE REDBOX!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented 2 movies and was charged the first days rental. I know this is an authorization but the terms of service and the help section says that it will turn into the final charge if the rentals are returned on time, which they were. I checked my account then next day after returning the discs and see I was charged twice. I called my bank to make sure that one was just a hold and the other was a charge,but they told me both were charges due getting separate authorizations. Now Redbox swears they never charged a 2nd time even though I have proof, they refused to look at my proof and also refused to talk to my bank. Now I told them I would dispute the charge as fraudulent and also press charges for fraud. As soon as I said that they locked me out of deleting my credit card info from the website and blocked my access to my account info too. I really wish I could file a lawsuit but it wouldn't do any good.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am an avid movie watcher. A night with some popcorn, candy and a couple flicks, I don’t think a better night exists (maybe some chocolate cookie dough ice cream too). About a month ago, I had rented a Redbox for my niece’s birthday/slumber party. We watched it, had the time of our lives and returned the movie the very next day. Well apparently, someone had hooked up a card scanning device in the Redbox system I had used because someone was able to duplicate my card and make a purchase of their own. I had randomly been charged $4.99 and at first I thought maybe it was a delayed charge from my original rental for my niece’s birthday but that had been a couple weeks ago. A few days after that it jumps to $39.99 and so at this point I know something fishy is going on.

I gave Redbox a call to see what the charge was about and the lady told me that it’s because I hadn’t returned the Xbox game I had purchased. I DON'T OWN AN XBOX. So I told the lady that there must have been a mistake. I’m 1000 percent sure I didn’t make that purchase. I called my bank, reported a fraudulent claim and had a new debit card sent to me. My bank told me they would investigate and take care of it. The investigation was done, it was found that it was not me and I was reimbursed. End of story. I thought.

Today woke up to a charge from Redbox for $147.66!! I was livid because this had been handled a month ago and yet, again, I had been charged. So I gave Redbox a call again and the man asked for my card information. I said my card information is not going to matter because I ordered a completely new one and he proceeds to tell me, “Oh yes sir, I have your bank information here, we’ll investigate it again”... You heard right. He had my bank information again and they’re just going to “investigate”. After the ORIGINAL investigation, they had gone out of their way to contact my bank and ask for my new card to continue charging when they felt the late fees had racked up enough. Redbox is such an unprofessional organization and when I’ve repeatedly voiced my concerns and issues with the charges, nothing has been done about it. They told me to talk to my bank and that they’d investigate. I refuse to spend another dollar on Redbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

As others have mentioned, Redbox is beginning to treat its "valued" customers as not so valuable any longer. Tried to rent a movie tonight and received the error message "We're sorry - A reservation could not be made because your Redbox account is not in good standing". Call Customer Care if you believe this is an error". Well, of course, I did call, because I have NEVER been late renting or returning, so my account not being in "good standing" was absurd.

When I called in to "Customer Care", I was told that it had nothing to do with my rental history. They were actually disabling my account because of my complaints about discs being scratched, not playing all the way through and being given too many promo codes. You're kidding, right? Is the Customer Care number not there to assist customers that have issues with discs. THEY are the ones who OFFERED the promo codes for the inconvenience. So -- let me understand this --they're mad because we're actually using the Customer Care number like we're SUPPOSED to? Is that not what it's there for?

I have 4 emails tied to Redbox and across all 4 accounts, I have a total of approx. 2500 points. In order to get those points, I had to have SPENT money (You don't points for free rentals), so I will happily take my $50-$60 a quarter that I have spent on Redbox movies and renew my PRIME membership with Amazon next year so I can stream as many movies as I would like!!!

Like others, I am an Amazon Prime member. I can stream movies on my Kindle for free and Amazon has no issues with calls that I make. I get top service from Amazon each and every time and they NEVER get angry because customers call in to voice concerns. Why in the world does have a Customer Care Department if they are angry when you have complaints that you voice? It's ridiculous. I called Redbox and told them they don't have to disable anything. I VOLUNTARILY CALLED AND CLOSED all my accounts with Redbox and on Monday, I will happily tell "Corporate" office that they can kiss my apples.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

First, they sent an offer that was stated as today only... It didn't work so I called and they said it was for the next day. What??? Then the next day I received the same offer again. I paid for the movie and then it wouldn't play. They had no concern about my issue. I said I wanted my money back and they said goodbye. Their website is saying they have issues... Really? I guess so and their service department does as well. The site says come back later. I want it On Demand so I can see it now not "sometime" in the future and the clock is running since it turned the clock on and said I have less than 48 hours to view it. My recommendation is to go somewhere else. This company is getting too fat-headed and they don't care about us customers that created their company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I just wanted to warn everybody about my experience with Redbox. I rented a disc on July 19th and summarily returned it on July 22nd and which I was provided in my email a digital receipt. A couple weeks later I received an email stating go ahead and keep the disc will just charge you full price for it. When I contacted Redbox customer service I was told that they didn't have copy of the return receipt and that they were still going to charge me full price for disc which I did not possess. After calling them twice to have them stop charging me for something I do not have despite having a record in my own email that I did return the disc they refused to stop charging me. This is fraud. You cannot charge a person for a title they do not possess. They need to be sued.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This has happen many times before. I rented two movies at two in the morning on Tuesday "Breaking In" and "Life of the Party" and they were due on Wed by nine. I return them after eleven on Wed. I know I would have to pay one day late fee but they charge me two days. This has happen many times before. Plus the machine by my home is always down a lot. I am done with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have been a long time Redbox customer, and after these last few months I am never renting from them again! They have been overly charging my account for the last three months when I have not even renting a DVD since March. When I called to speak with someone they tell me I have a pending late fee that my bank won't allow through. I kept proceeding to explain to them that I have all my account records showing I have been charged multiple times. They refused to let me talk and continued to tell me I have pending charges. Today I was charged $46 for two late rentals in June according to them, after I spoke with my bank about the charges I tried speaking with someone from Redbox and they proceeded to tell me they have not charged me and that I now have a pending charge of $30 for a late rental in March!

That was nearly three months ago! I have been charged every time I return a movie and I make sure I check my account after to see if I was properly charged. I am late every once in a while but I have every charge on my card. The fact they are trying to charge my account again the last three months for movies I have well overpaid for is ridiculous. It is pointless talking to anyone in Redbox customer service. They are extremely rude and will not help you. I tried asking to speak with someone above them and they kept making excuses about not being able to get ahold of anyone.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I rented 3 movies. Returned them 5 days later and they charged me for the purchasing price of all three. When I called they gave me a refund of $20 because it shows I did return the movies but continue to take money out of my account another $40 today. This happened before in May and a couple times last year. I had to cancel 2 cards so couldn't have access to them. Sick of their ** customer service. Will NEVER USE REDBOX AGAIN! THERE IS STILL A MOVIE RENTAL STORE IN MY CITY I WILL BE USING FROM NOW ON.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I am a long time customer of Redbox. I was charged twice for one transaction. The customer service representative stated it was “Redbox policy” to place a hold on my funds from my debit card. This is news to me and luckily my checks didn’t bounce. This is an unauthorized transaction from their company. I’m not going to wait 5-7 business days for the hold to be released every time I rent movies. They just lost a valued customer. I will never rent a movie from them again. I simply just wanted someone to apologize and refund me the $3.68 they took without asking or give me a promo code for 2 free movies. Never again. Be careful of this company!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I been a member of Redbox since they started. I don't understand there new perks program because there no such thing. I have almost 6000 points that the perks program does not let me redeem. What's the point of it all this shenanigans. The only perks is for the company. And then the great customer service that they have. Oh my god you go thru channels and they don't fix anything. But put you on hold to Redbox corporation. Take care of your customers. Look what happened to Blockbuster.

Updated on 07/12/2018: Redbox reprimanded me for filling a complaint. I went to rent some movies. But because I exercise my amendments right's I was kicked out off Redbox. That's so wrong. I been a customer for years since they started. I think I have myself a lawsuit here.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have never ordered anything from On Demand. Perhaps I accidentally clicked it while my phone was in pocket. I was charged 4 times for On Demand streaming Tyler Perry's Acrimony. I spent an hour trying to talk to the correct Redbox person. Redbox and Redbox On Demand are two separate companies (different phone numbers). They only refunded two of the four charges. 12.99, four times for the exact same movie. How could their system be stupid enough to let you order the same movie multiple times. They refuse to remove all purchases so I have to dispute with my credit card company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I rented two movies at the same time. One was a Wrinkle in Time. Both disc were scratched. Upon trying to contact customer support I was issued a promo code and rushed off the phone. I called back and got a refund. Later that day I was charged $6.47. Upon calling again the agent was rude and told me she couldn’t find my account. After respelling out my name for her, she told me she didn't find my account because my billing zip code was wrong. It was wrong because she typed it in wrong. Finally after finding it she told me one movie was returned at 8:59 and 9:01 pm. That was the charge on my card. They should really have a 5 min grace period. Redbox must really be hurting to charge everyone 7 dollars in late fees. Needless to say I'm done with renting Redbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Guess Redbox/Netflix is feeling the pain from the ovomit pitfall, losing so much money they need to steal from their customers. Rented 2 movies. Returned them the same day. Billed over $11. Agent reports they were 4 days late and will only reimburse $7.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I rented two movies at one time. Was charged twice. One caused an overdraft fee as I got paid a day later. Was renting for the kids. Anyway the bank charged me 36.00 for a pending fee. Not even a paid item so bank could do nothing and Redbox refused. They were rude and unapologetic. These people are horrible. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We rented a movie and it would not play in our DVD player, other ones we owned would play so we know it was a malfunctioning movie, this happened a couple times previously also, they gave us a code to rent another movie on them next night, and it would not play, then they would not give us another chance, sad that their service is so horrible that after we have to go clear back to store for another movie then it doesn’t work, then we paid for a movie they will not give us??? We will Never rent another Redbox ever and tell everyone we know also about their terrible service???

Original review: May 8, 2018

On 03/30/2018 my debit card was charged $97.73 by Redbox. I have never used Redbox, ever. Luckily, the bank flagged it is as fraud; that card was deactivated and a new one issued. On 4/23, a charge for $97.73 from Redbox was charged to my new debit card. That was also flagged as fraud, the second debit card was deactivated, and a third new one issued. On 05/08, a charge for $97.73 was charged to my debit card again (this is now the third time Redbox has tried to charge me and on three different debit cards). The charge was flagged as fraud; my card is now deactivated and I will be waiting for a new card to be issued.

I called Redbox, the first thing they asked me for was my card information. I was most certainly not providing a company that I do not do business with my debit card information. They were unable to find any transactions using my name so were unable to find this transaction and stop it from happening again. I was told that their system is highly automated and that if there was an amount owing on the first card, the system was able to link it to the new cards? Ummm... what would be the point of getting a new card to stop fraud then? I'm on my way to the bank this afternoon to see what the bank can do. I am incredibly concerned about how Redbox was able to get the information for my second and third debit cards.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I don't rent from Redbox but did at the urging of my grandsons who informed this is the way it's done these days. I rented movies and agreed to a charge of $8.29. I returned the movies the next day. Pleased with the ease of the process I rented additional movies at that time. I went to review my bank account as I do regularly and found three charges. Two for the same amount and location.

I called customer service and was told by a very rude individual who had no desire to help that it is Redbox's practice to charge your card at the time of rental then again at the time of return and I should expect a fourth charge due the second rental. I asked if the duplicate charges could be reversed and was told that depending on the bank the reversal could take up to 7 days. This outraged me!!! As a person on fixed and limited income duplicate charges I am not expecting could lead to overdraft fees and may be very costly. The representative had no sympathy, simply advising me to use this forum to express my concern.

I am not certain Redbox's practice of duplicate charges is legal as I signed nothing agreeing to it. I will call my bank first in the morning to file a fraud charge. I have also decided to educate the public. I have made laminated signs to keep in my car which reads "Buyer beware renting these movies will cost you double. Check your bank statement." My plan is to post these signs on every Redbox I come across until Rebox changes this unscrupulous and I would dare to say illegal definitely unethical practice.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Someone signed up for a Redbox account using my debit card which I did not authorize and because the information attached to my debit card did not match, they refused to try to assist me to rectify this situation. They have my money, but I did not authorize the transaction. Crooks. That's all I have to say.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I rented a video game a while back and accidentally chose the wrong platform (PS4 when I have an Xbox One). I called their customer service phone number and they offered me a code for a free night's rental to make up for the mistake. Even though it was my fault, they still made up for it. They've earned my repeat business for sure!

Original review: April 27, 2018

I rent a movie almost every day. I am in their top position as a renter. Redbox screwed up on, I don't remember what but they gave me 5 promo codes for free rentals. I used all 5 but was charged anyway. I called Redbox and they stated that they did not charge me! I told the woman I have my bank statement up on my computer and in front of me are the charges! She still said they did not charge me, I guess my eyes were lying to me! She refused to give me any credit! I told her I was going to stop using Redbox.

Last year Redbox got Approx. $500.00 in rental fees from me! I had 10,800 points on my account. I used 1500 points on a movie not expecting to get charged, and of course I got charged! It seems to me that whatever country Redbox farms out their office workers (I think The Philippines) at need to be schooled on customer service and basic math! I have been a Redbox customer since day one, you would think they would want to keep me happy! As of now I will take my business to Netflix!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Sadly, it seems Redbox is going downhill with 2018 changes: Changed credits to points ~~ now have to rent 15 DVDs to get "free rental" vs former "10 rentals" = more consumer cost. DVD rental rate increased to $1.75 vs former $1.50 each!! Variety of selection decreased & slipping in oldies movies or poor 2 star ones. Discovered April 20th, no customer phone service on weekend!! Duh, how do you promptly report defective dvds?? Thus, you can't get a free replacement code. Cuts jobs in Philippines who are overall, "polite"!! They post: "Our hours are 6:00am to 12:am ct, 7 days a week. Call us. 1.866.Redbox3. (1.866.733.2693)." Duh!!! Netflix/Amazon here I come.

Redbox Company Information