2.81/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 5, 2017

620 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I got billed twice for movies I returned. Tried to talk to a sales representative the conversation with them went nowhere. I feel that it is wrong. I will never use Redbox again. I have Netflix. They are better than Redbox. Only reason was to get the movie emoji for my son. Now I have paid $7.41 for two movie one that was 50 cents. Sad.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

They keep taking money out of my account and I haven't even used Redbox for like six months. It's really starting to make me mad. They have overdrawn my account like 4 times already. If they do it again I will be suing.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Over the past three weeks, I have visited a total of 7 Redbox kiosks in the Austin area. And at every one of them, all but 2 or 3 videos show being out of a stock. And at two of them, ALL DVDs were out of stock. What is in stock are Blue Ray discs. It's obvious that Redbox is not paying attention otherwise they would have realized by now that fewer and fewer people are watching Blue Ray and that most people watch the standard DVD format. And when I called in to complain while at the Kiosk, the agent asks the easy-out question "What is the zip code of the kiosk?" That right there shows management is clueless, for if they were really running a tight ship each kiosk would have a unique identifier number emblazoned on the side of the Redbox. Think of the large numbers painted on the top of buses so that the dispatcher can know which bus is experiencing a problem.

And when you do actually talk to someone at Redbox, they are completely unable to do anything except hand you the standard line that they will take it up with marketing. Lastly, since moving to Austin, I have discovered that within the downtown area, with a constant resident population of about 15,000 people THERE ARE NO REDBOX KIOSKS. I have recommended that the company locate one inside the Whole Foods flagship store at 5th and Lamar as well as one outside the Trader Joe's. All I heard was that they didn't think there was the demand for it.

Again, it's obvious that this company is not doing its job. If they feel that people aren't renting from them enough and instead deciding to stream via Amazon or some other service, the answer is probably yes because Redbox doesn't stock enough DVDs in the most popular format and they don't take the customer experience very seriously. How this company is still in business is beyond me. I see them going the way of Blockbuster Video and Hollywood Video. Another casualty of business incompetence.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

This is the 4th DVD I have rented in the day two weeks that skipped, stopped and literally caused me to miss large parts of the movie I paid to watch. There is no one to notify or to advise of poor experiences. I rent pretty regularly but I think this will be the last time.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have been a member of Redbox for three years. I receive offers all the time through email and text. Not once have the codes worked for discounts. I recently made a complaint and was told it was because I use Blue Ray DVD's. What kind of BS is that. Blue Ray has been the standard for 15 years. I will never use or recommend a company that tries to BS its customers. I will just use Amazon instead. They are far more honest with their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I did not have two movies for more than a week. I tried to write into Redbox and their site was down. So I called and talked to a woman who yelled at me. I have never had someone yell at me when I did not yell at her. She kept telling me I have to give a specific date when I returned it. I have a busy very life and can't pinpoint a day that I returned it. That's why she kept telling so I hung up hoping I could get someone different if I called back. Second person was not smart at all and seemed like he had no idea what I was saying. I want my $50 returned back to me and I promise I will never use your services again and I will never recommend Redbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I rented two movies on Saturday. I tried to return them on Sunday and Monday. The box was down both days. I now have loads of late charges. I contacted Redbox to make sure the box works today. Customer service was rude and I was asked why I didn't take them to another box. It is not convenient to have to drive all over town to return movies. I wish there were still video stores that you can go in and rent movies. Dealing with a person is much better than dealing with a machine.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

So I download the Redbox app, signed up and everything. Wasted 2 damn dollars reserving a movie they don't even have in stock. That ** would have been nice if to Know before I did all that **. I call customer service to ** at them about it, then I find out even if it was in stock I'd have to spend another 2 damn dollars to rent. You guys are double charging scam artist. I'm never ever wasting my time and money at your dumb ass things. I HATE Redbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I lost the disc and was charged. I agree I lost and should be charged. Yet they won't let me pay it. Debit card was declined and then card rejected. I called to pay for the lost disc and was told that the invoice has been closed. I STILL OWE, I know this will come back sooner or later that I defaulted on paying. Has Redbox gotten so large they write off $34.00 all the time? Somewhere down the line this will impact my credit. Yet they say I can open another account with another card, why not just let me pay? Have they never had a debit card declined before?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Rented a movie, DVD was unplayable due to scratches. I called customer service, and they offered a promo, however no one could explain what the promo was. I was unable to get a refund. It's the principle since we are talking about $1.60.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I have been an avid Redbox renter until the technology of streaming came about. Due to this, I have not needed to rent from them until our internet was out for a number of days due to hurricane Jose. To my surprise the rate for the movie rental went up significantly. We kept our movies for 6 days due to a number of reasons and the total charge was over $25 for fees (not including the cost to rent the two movies). In former days it would have been a $25 fee just to keep the movie. Perhaps this is Redbox's way of trying to stay relevant in a world where streaming technology is the future. Needless to say, increasing prices in a substantial manner in order to make up for significant losses is no way to keep me as a customer. I will never ever be renting from Redbox again. Sorry folks.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

When I had called the billing department to explain that they had taken all of the money in my account and I was left stranded with no gas they asked me for my information so I gave them what they had requested and they then continued to state in a different language. I told her I could not understand her and she explained in English that I had rented 2 movies that had not been returned in 8 days which I had never rented the two movies. She gave me the date of the rental which was 1 month prior to when I had rented any movies at all.

I dont understand how 2 dvds cost 66 dollars. When I told her, “I did not rent those titles and you took 250 dollars from my account which leaves me, my girlfriend and our 7 month old child stranded 170 miles away from home in 90 degree humid weather,” she said she could contact cops. They would help us by holding our baby for us until we can get home. I told her I wanted to speak to someone from the United States. She started screaming at me in a different language which I only know how to speak English. Luckily I made it to a Walmart and was able to get a MoneyGram from my parents to get home. I dont appreciate not speaking to someone from the U.S. and being hung up on. They still keep trying to take money from me under different transaction numbers. Be very cautious using Redbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have on occasion returned a movie into the Redbox machine just a few minutes before 9 pm. When I get my receipt, it says I am being charged for additional night. I note these nights because I try real hard to get them back in time. If I have to wait in line sometimes it will get me close to 9 pm. If I go over, I know I have and leave it at that and know I will pay it. But... when I know that I returned it before 9 pm then I am getting really tired of this. It's not the first time. I always note what time I am in my car driving off and on this last night, it was a couple minutes before 9 pm but they still charged me like it was after 9 pm.

I know my close was exactly correct to the time, even the radio announcer mentioned it was just before 9 pm. I called them to check what time it actually went into the machine and they are telling me on the 3rd night at 9 pm. Wrong. I KNOW that's not true. Just getting old. Maybe streaming is more what I need to do. No more Redbox. I think I will delete my account and card info.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I called Redbox over a game I rented and late fees and they were the over-the-top nicest people to deal with. And this is not the first time I got super great customer service from Redbox!!! Damn, it made my day!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I like Redbox because I can get a movie when I have time to watch. There is no recurring monthly charges which is what I like the best because I am on a fixed budget.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I like renting from Redbox because of low price, although it has gone up a little; convenience, many kiosk; wide range of film titles.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I was happily surprised at how quickly newer movies are added to Redbox. And I haven't personally experienced any issues with availability. The quality is great; the machines are easily accessible and straightforward to use.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Redbox still uses DVDs and I don't care about DVDs. Many times I would get a Redbox DVD with scratches that had playback issues. Then, I had to call customer service and return the movie. Moreover, the resolution of the DVDs is archaic, to say the least. Then, the variety of Redbox Bluray movies is very limited. I used to buy them from Redbox but they stopped selling them. Consequently, I stopped using Redbox. No need for them anymore.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I really love Redbox. The only one negative thing is sometimes the closest Redbox to me may not have the movie that I am interested in.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Never had a defective DVD or problems returning them. There are many nearby locations to choose from and with usually two machines at least one will have what you’re looking for! They seem to have all the newest releases and a good variety of different genres to choose from!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I love your promos, especially the free ones! LOL. Also, I would buy your good condition used movies if they were offered at used prices like $3. The experience I have had with customer service is phenomenal; friendly and kind every time I had to call in for assistance in my matter including the time I thought I had returned a movie, but ended up paying $15, ouch, for a used movie.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Give more freebies after you rent so many movies and a special section on account to store your already rented movies. Maybe give coupon for a free snack with your movie.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I very seldom use Redbox for the fact I have to drive to get the DVD and return it. They should offer streaming even if it was like a $1 with an option of after starting a movie within so much time and do not like it can choose another one without paying again. If they changed their service to this I would give business to Redbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Redbox is convenient, as I can get it at more local stores. I haven't used the streaming aspect of it, but I am interested in it, as my only complaint about Redbox is the amount I end up spending on late charges when I forget to bring back the movies.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I don't think you should be charged the full price again for keeping it another day. It should be half the price daily until you return it. Also, Blu-ray should not be $0.50 more than a DVD especially if only Blu-rays available.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I called because for the past 3 months my bank account had been charged starting with $4 every 2 weeks, so I called and they "resolved" the issue so then it happened again for $6 twice in 1 week so I called and they claimed I had owed money. So then I didn't pay any attention to my home banking and was charged today for $12 so I looked at my home banking and it showed for the past 3 months they have taken $37 from my account so I called and explained and gave them the dates and they still claim that I owe $44 dollars and after I pay it I can get $25 back as a refund for a movie that I had put for 2 days... I was like, "Are you kidding me", then I was hung up on, so I called a total of 4 times and finally the last girl stayed on the line and told me they don't have a billing center. It's a automated system as of why my card was being charged.

This same BS had happened a year ago and I had to order a new card for that reason and once again it's happening again except this time they were rude, hung up on me 3 times and kept telling me how wrong I was and how I owe them money and this and that. So I will no longer be going to Redbox and I now will have to cancel my card on my account and order a new one. So just a warning for anyone that goes to Redbox, watch your home banking and make sure you keep track of when you get movies and how long you have them because they will take money off of your card and you won't know until you look and when you call them and explain to them your situation they will make something up and say how you owe this or that.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

There are not too many around this area, they are taking them out of the stores little by little, so it is quite an inconvenience to have to find a Redbox. Also they have no sunscreen shades on the screen, so you can't see anything if the sun is out.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I really have no complaints with Redbox. If a video does not play properly or I have any other issue they address it without fail. Variety is good and newer movies seem to arrive fairly quickly.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Redbox is extremely convenient, always offering promotional offers which are normally accepted by my family. Easy transaction, very economical, good choice of movies, no dealing with store clerks.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I love Redbox, cheap movies, different locations, all the latest movies, reward codes, and occasionally (once in a blue moon) when box breaks down, fixed within 24 hrs.

Redbox Company Information