2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

Redbox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Been using for the past 2 months with a Groupon and every time I order, leave my house to get the DVD, the box is either broken or DVD unavailable, thus I have to come home empty handed and then spend time calling Redbox customer service.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Refused to return my DVD I accidentally returned instead of the one I rented. I returned the correct DVD as soon as I discovered the mistake. All they were worried about was getting their DVD back. Had no intention of contacting person servicing the kiosk to find out. I will NEVER rent from them again and will give a bad review whenever I can. It was a Blu-ray special extended edition Lord Of The Rings, Fellowship Of The Ring, disc 2, from a $60 box set. REDBOX are liars and cheats. Don't waste your time.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I returned my movie the very next day. I have location and time documented. A month later I was charged $32 for an unreturned movie. I have a history of 10 years where I have never been over 1 day late returning a movie. I was told they didn’t have the movie and the charge was on me. I will never use them again!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I used one card and they changed another card over a month later without giving them permission then I called to say something about it and I got told, "Sorry we can't not refund your money. Contact your bank."

Original review: July 18, 2020

Redbox keeps charging me $32. And change plus taking $1.00 every other day put of my account for movies I've supposedly never returned. I have been a customer of Red Box since they began, never had had an issue. This is the 2nd time I have called Red Box and they refused to return my $$ into my account. My first call within the same month my $ was placed back into my account no problem after they realized that they truly did receive their discs. I believe Red box doesn't follow by their own policies & code of ETHICS and charges whatever they please. Not satisfied will never return to redbox again!!

Original review: July 16, 2020

The Redbox Kiosk in the Maple Glen, PA Giant is the worst! I reserved two movies online on 7/15/2020. I drive all the way there and the kiosk in not working, again. THIS IS THE 6TH TIME IN 9 DIFFERENT RESERVATIONS THE KIOSK IS OUT OF ORDER, AFTER I DROVE ALL THE WAY THERE! I hate redbox so much. We had a entire night planned and it is ruined AGAIN! Who is servicing this machine. I'm going to Netflix. Netflix always works. Why let me reserve online if the machine is out of order. Why not email me if it broke before I waste my gas money.

Original review: June 27, 2020

We rented 8 movies over a few days. Got charged $22.26 for the movies and they also add a charge on there for 4.28 to make sure it a active account. Now they refused to give me money back. Beware of this company. They lie and steal. They charged my husband card. Don't know how they got his number but they refused to refund me. So kiss my ** Redbox.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I was issued a promo code for joining RedBox. The email stated that the code is good online or @ the box. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of COVID-19 and I do not feel comfortable leaving my house. I called customer service and asked to swap the code for one that I can use to get the movie straight to my TV. Even ordering online, I still would need to go to the box and get the movie.

The boxes are touched by a million hands, not sanitized by an employee, exposed to all kinds of germs, etc. I should be able to use a promo code for any service that Redbox offers. Many people do not want to go out during this time, and are fearful of touching a high traffic kiosk like a Redbox. I was not asking for anything free. I only wanted to swap one for one. The CS rep. was very rude and condescending to me. When she started speaking to me as if I were a child, I got angry. I felt like I was being scolded for asking for assistance. Once a customer feels that they are not heard, and that they are not valued by the company, then you have already lost them.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I started with being unable to access my account for two years. I was still receiving promos and marketing emails, and when I rented movies I still got the points racked up on my account. The reason why I couldn't log in? Because I had signed up for the service using an aliased email (username+alias@gmail.com). This is well supported by Google, and most websites that don't support it won't even let me sign up with the +alias. Usually it's fine, and I just sign up without.

This was not the case with Redbox. You can sign up with an aliased email, but never actually log in. Two years later, I really wanted to just reserve a movie and go pick it up (minimize screen presses because of the pandemic, as a reasoning), so I contacted customer service. Not only did the representative appear not to read my initial message (I even said, "my issue is likely because of the alias") but she walked me through the exact same steps I'd already tried. Told me I was using the app instead of the browser, though I'd said multiple times I was using a browser, and then got snippy with me by saying "you know, this is because of the "+" sign that was added on your email address" (despite the fact that I LED with almost that exact same comment).

She ended the session with "create a new account, and we'll deactivate the new one. We'll give you some promo codes for your points". First off: What? If I'm racking up points, and you can see that, aren't they accessing the account? If so, can't they change the email? Other websites I've reached out to about this issue realize it, change it, and we move on. Not Redbox. Secondly, fine. I created a new account. True to their word, I did receive some promo codes.

Tried to make a purchase and was faced with an error "your Redbox account is not in good standing. If you think this is an error, please contact the Customer Care team" and I could not make the purchase...though I'd JUST created the account. I reached out again, as per the recommendation. The second representative was similarly unhelpful, had me try literally ONE thing (clear browser history and try again) before saying "I'll pass this along" and promptly ending the call. I even attached all of the old history from the previous call, and a screenshot of the current error, but was asked a lot of the exact same questions as in that call.

Very displeased, and while I was liking Redbox because it's generally $2-$3 cheaper than a lot of on-demand streaming services, and I like my weekly deals, I'm really not sure if I'm ever going to use them again. I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot, talking to agents who don't even bother to read what I've tried or what I'm writing, or agents who drop the session without even waiting a full minute for a response. Unprofessional. Unpolished. (I assume untrained).

Original review: May 14, 2020

They have stolen my money. The first time I kept using them because I figured it would be a one time mistake when they charged me twice for a purchased movie. They have now charged me again 32 something for a movie I RETURNED. So not only are they charging for something I didn't want they are actually stealing my property. I am not getting any satisfactory response from their "help chat" as they call it. I will never use them again, they are not to be trusted and what could be summed up as an honest mistake is done over and over and they won't get back to me.

Redbox Company Information