3.65/5

751 Redbox Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I will NEVER go to Redbox again. They have taken more money than they were supposed to multiple times and refuse to refund my money!! They were completely rude on the phone when I called and asked why they took more money than they were supposed to and then got even more rude when I asked to speak to a manager.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

Rented two movies from Redbox with my sister. Ended up keeping them 5 days, and was already prepared to pay for keeping them that long. Almost 2 weeks after returning we were charged 41$. When we called we were told that only one of the dvds had been returned. Why they would think we would return one movie without the other blows my mind. We were offered no ideas on what could have happened or what could be done. This seems to be a trend for Redbox and I feel they are just using their power to scam money! Will never EVER use Redbox again.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I rented a movie from Redbox. It was my understanding they took the money out of my bank account on that day. Circumstances and forgetfulness contributed me to returning it late. Now, almost 3 weeks later, they deducted $12.18 out of the blue from my checking account. That money was there for a friend to take an Uber to his cancer surgeon's appointment. When I contacted Redbox, they said they took the money out initially then put it back and took a larger amount due to the rental time (without notice, weeks later). I don't mind paying what I owe, but I believe the way they went about this is sneaky and wrong, with real world consequences, and I want it documented. I will never use Redbox again and plan to complain to anyone who will listen.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I rented 2 movies on July 12th, and returned both movies to the exact same location on July 15th. Today, the 30th, I received a "final bill" stating that I was charged $29.75 for each movie totaling $63.67 with tax. Not only is this absurd because I can buy each of them for only $4, but when I called and spoke to customer service, including a supervisor (Catherine), they offered absolutely no help. Not only did they refuse to credit my card back, but they provided absolutely no compensation or further assistance whatsoever. Not only were the DVDs returned, but I was not alone and had another witness to attest to the fact that they were returned 3 days later. Even the customer service representative said that "technology can malfunction and we know that the kiosks mess up sometimes," but then told me that there was nothing they could do.

She even said that they have technicians who go out every Tuesday to check the machines, so I asked if they could check that specific machine and find the 2 DVDs that were returned and then credit my account back. Her response was that she is not able to speak to the technicians and they haven't reported it as found. I have had some interactions with pretty horrible customer service before, but this has to be in my top 5 worst experiences. Redbox offered absolutely no resolution whatsoever, and essentially said tough **, deal with it. If I ran my company like this, I would be left without a single customer. Now I am forced to go through the hassle of disputing these charges as fraud with my bank in order to get my money back. Redbox will never again receive my business.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I had a promo code from T-Mobile so I went to the Redbox to use it. While I was there I decided to rent 2 more movies. It came out to $3.47 but I should've only had to pay $2.47. One DVD was supposed to be free due to the promo code. So I returned all the DVDs and got charged $9.47? This is ridiculous! I'm not using Redbox ever again. This company is an epic ripoff. What happened?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: June 23, 2019

I would prefer to give zero stars. Just like Donna from Mount Pleasant, I had a fraudulent charge. I have never rented from a Redbox in my life. But our Visa number was compromised and someone made a dummy card and tried to use it at a Redbox kiosk in a Walmart 900 miles away from where we live. And it worked! And of course the thieves never returned the disks. I reported it to Redbox and to my credit card bank. Got a new card. Did everything I was supposed to do. And Redbox is STILL hitting my card. Redbox themselves told me that their deal with Visa means that charges can rollover to new cards. Unbelievable. The charge is declined each time but they will keep doing it for six months. Six months, hitting a card that they KNOW will be declined. Not smart. And each time it happens, which has been every other week, the card is frozen by my bank. Fraud alert. I can't undo that either.

I called Redbox and begged them to close the account. They refused. I offered to PAY the $105 late fees myself. They refused. This is causing me real problems with my credit card and they could not have cared less. Utterly disrespectful and dismissive. One Redbox Customer Service rep actually hung up on me. That is a first! Really really bad. Why anyone would willingly do business with Redbox is beyond me. BEWARE.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I needed to speak with an agent, could not understand her. Out of country staff. If Americans want a stronger country support companies who employee Americans. Please hire local people because it supports our country, we support your company please support ours.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I went and rent a copy of the movie Coco from them from 5/30/19 to 5/31/19, and decided to buy a copy for myself the same day, 5/30/19, because I enjoyed the movie, total cost for the transaction was $4.99. It was a good deal because the rental was free. I was very excited. The next day, 5/31/19, I returned what I thought was the rental, so everything was fine. On 6/17/19 I was billed $30.38 for not returning the rented disk. I was confused and contacted customer service, they said the charge was valid because the DVD is coded, and it was never returned.

I explained the situation and the representative said nothing can be done, because it was a valid bill. I then asked, "What about my disk that I returned to kiosk?" Once again he replied, "Nothing we can do for the disk is probably taken out of the kiosk already." In the end I paid $4.99 for one disk, paid $30.38 for the other, received only one copy, and there is nothing they can do about it. A new copy for it from Target is $15 and I paid $35.37 for a copy from RedBox. Lesson of the day do not mixed up for DVDs and do not return RedBox movies that do not belong to them because they will not give it back.

Original review: June 15, 2019

My husband and I always go through Redbox to rent movies and we've never had an issue. Not till recently. This past time they waited till a week later to authorize our card and we wasn't even late on returning. This has happened to us twice now and once to a family member. We will never go back through them. We will just stick to renting from family video or watch Netflix and Hulu.

Original review: June 15, 2019

Watch your bank accounts people. That's all I can say. I get texts messages every time there is a charge on my card. I get the text for the total amount, that it has been deducted from my account. A week later they try to take the same amount - recharge - me for the same price saying my bank declined my card. I know damned well it cleared. They will rob you blind. Watch your bank accounts when you use the Redbox.

Redbox Company Information