1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

704 Redbox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Got 1500 points. Was going to get a DVD rental. In their disclaimer they never talk about charging you anything or they're being a five to seven business day wait for you to get any money that they charge you back. It was a very bad experience. Even though it was only a dollar 89 they still charged my debit card and then claim that once to movies returned they will put the money back on my card in 5 to 7 business days. So much for anything being free because that's false advertisement in my book.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I noticed an unauthorized transaction from Redbox from IL... Never been to IL a day in my life! Bottom line, they couldn't help me. Told me that I needed to contact my bank to dispute the transaction. Very dissatisfied and very wrong of Redbox!!! You lost my support!!!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've gone to the Redbox machines weekly. Been noticing how filthy the touch screen is, even the DVDs themselves. When I get home I have to clean them before I try to play the movie. Just plain filthy!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Rented 2 Blu-Ray disc. Return both on the 2nd night. Instead of been charge a 2 nights fees it charges double $ 8.78. Called customer service they said it is a temporary hold and will be refund in 5 days. It did not!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I have never had a membership and I lost my Direct Express card but Redbox charged me for overdue disks! I called customer service but they did not help me! Take care people. This company thinks it can do whatever it wants.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Redbox?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I used to like Redbox but now I'm done with them. Got charge $5.66 for a movie I rented a week ago. Called customer service and all they said was this is an unauthorized transaction hold from their company. Like what the hell? You already withdrew money from my bank. So basically they double charge you after 5-7 days after your rent and return the movies. I'm so over this company and will not rent from them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

First off I chatted with a person named Sheena Mae about how Redbox on Demand worked. I asked her if I make a purchase can I download it to an external drive and watch it without Redbox app because I PCS to countries that block their site. Her exact words were: "if you purchase it, it means you own the movie so you may be able to copy to your external drive." So I purchased it, then find I need to download the Redbox download manager, which I needed assistance in finding it (I called), and this person was incredibly rude and hung up on me. But I figured it out. Then I download it, but get no options where it goes, and have to do a mass search to find it. I find it only to see that it is in a format that only can be played through Redbox player. I call Redbox again, where I deal with someone who can't even find my transaction, and wants my bank to call them.

I ask to speak to a manager, where I am then put on hold, but not transferred. I call again and immediately ask to speak to a manager, where I am put on hold for how long. Then finally speak to someone who tells me I'm in the wrong department. She transfers me, where I speak to John who tells me I can't transfer the file to an external drive, and I tell him that I am now aware of that, and that an online chat person named Sheena Mae lied to me about it. He then hangs up on me. I call back again and immediately request for a manager, they ask why. I said, "Well, I've been lied to about a purchase, been rude to, put on hold but never answered, people couldn't find my transaction, then hung up on. I get so called transferred, where no one picked up the phone." End result I get ripped off by another lying company designed to treat customers like ** and rip them off. Do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake, stay away!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had rented two movies and they got stolen out of my car. I got hit with a monster fine and it would have wrecked my month financially if not for the excellent customer service and refund policy. Thanks for being understanding Redbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Updated on 11/16/2018: Although the rental was for one night, AND RETURNED IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS, they charged me for 2 nights. After not having any luck trying to email my grievances, I finally reached someone thru the helpline, who did finally refund my money. NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE TO RENT FROM THEM! Instead of being entertained I had a miserable experience with them AGAIN.

Original Review: This is the 3rd time I've rented a defective disc from Redbox. I've only rented 6 times. Oceans 8 is brand new, so it must be Redbox's fault. It stops, then, when I grab the remote to ffwd, it starts again. Others haven't worked at all. Not like I've rented a lot from them. 50% of the movies I've rented are defective. It's not my DVD player. I've tried the same disc in several different DVD players. I have to pay for this rental, but I didn't get to watch the whole thing due to constant ffwding when it freezes or goes black. Every time I think about renting from you, I'll think again. Also, no one answers the phone at customer service, and I can't get signed on to email customer service. Disappointed. No longer a customer. You owe me about twenty bucks, Redbox!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For one, the machine was off. I would press something and it would select something else so I would have to keep going back which was so annoying then when I finally got it to where I needed it to be I was placing an order, then it restarted on me so I did it all again. Then I slid the card and the whole machine froze up and wouldn't let me cancel so I have to call customer service and finally after 10 minutes I finally got it canceled. It was so annoying so I say screw it. I'll never do Redbox again!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Got a 3 night game rental on a Tuesday, returned it that Friday (after my 3, count them, 3 NIGHTS). Apparently, it's a 3 DAY rental, not a 3 night rental like advertised. Was charged for a 4th night. Beyond stupid, yeah. It was only $3 and at this point I don't care but practice what you advertise.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I rented a game today and I haven't rented from Redbox for over 3 years but gave it a try today. I ended up getting a paper copy so I immediately called Redbox, these people in customer service are hard to understand and really don't help. They just read and reply like a robot. So I got some free rental codes and they said I would be refunded in 3-5 days and to rent from a different Redbox location. I did what they said the same day while using their code, same thing happened, so I called them again. Same service and hard to understand. Never again will I rent from them again. I also called my bank to let them know what's happening before something happens with my banking information. I live in a ** area. Antioch CA. Don't rent new games or movies. Not worth the waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I went to a Redbox to rent a movie. I tried to log in using their buttons on the screen but it was just very difficult as they do not always work when you hit them. I got frustrated so I went to my car and logged in and seen that the movie I wanted was not available at that box anyhow so I drove to a box where it was available. Since I was logged into my account I then tried to rent a movie using my points. It wanted the CVV number on the back of my debit card. I put it in and then scrolled to the bottom to get confirmation and it again asked for the CVV number.

I went inside the store to get the customer service number and called customer service. I spoke with the lady and then she put me on hold. When she came back online she told me that I needed to contact my bank because they probably changed the code on my card without telling me. Really? That is just stupid. So I told her to forget it because I could have watched a movie by now with all the time I just wasted.

So the next day I decided to go to the Customer Service chat option on Redbox's site. I typed in that I wanted to complain about the customer service that I had received the day before. The representative asked me to type in what my complaint was. I started typing and really within about 2 minutes I did not get a, "Sir do you need more time," what I got was, "You have not responded. I have other customers to take care of, thank you" and he disconnected. Those are not the exact words but that is what he said.

I then called Customer Service and asked to speak with a supervisor. The guy kept asking what I wanted to talk to a supervisor about and I told him I wanted to complain about the customer service. He kept asking me for details but I told him I did not want to talk to him since he would not be about to do anything about it and I wanted to talk to a supervisor. Finally after about 8 to 10 minutes someone named Nohm got on the phone. I just let her know what happened, told her I would never use Redbox again as they have ridiculously horrible customer service. I then said goodbye and hung up.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I rented two on demand videos. Both did not play because video player was not working and I should try again. It never worked. Called customer service to get a refund and the people I spoke to spoke very poor English and was never able to get a refund so I will dispute credit card payment. Stay away from Redbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I live in the Panhandle of Florida. On Oct. 9th Hurricane Michael was reported as being a cat. 3. I figured we would lose our ability to stream TV so I stopped by the Redbox to rent a few movies we could watch while internet was down. As most know, the storm hit on the 10th just a few miles shy of a cat. 5. Everything went down. Cell service, power, trees, entire neighborhoods. As soon as I got cell service I called Redbox to let them know my movies would be late. They were very nice and gave me an extension. However, when I was able to return the movies I had a charge of $45.15 on my card. I called again, they said it could be up to four days before they could give me a credit. Still waiting... I lost all of my food. This $45 would really help me restock. I don't write reviews. I just had to write this one because while most companies are rushing in to help us. Redbox is taking our money. Panhandle Strong!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I reserved a movie on October 11 in the evening and it said I had until the following day to pick it up. I picked the movie up and returned another the following morning at 8 AM and returned the new rental on the 13th at 7 AM having it less than 24 hours. I was charged a total of $3.82 with tax for 2 days rental and called red box to complain. They said even though I did not pick up the movie I was charged for the entire day of the 11th and 12th, the day I picked it up, or a two-day rental. They claim that they are entitled to charge me for the day I reserve it if I don't pick it up even though I had until the following day at 9 PM to pick it up. I don't think this is right and it's BS.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

So apparently if someone steals your bank information and buys a Redbox movie you're pretty much out of luck. That's what happened to me so I called customer service and now they're claiming they can't find the transaction so there's nothing they can do. The customer service lady was barely even listening to me and kept having me repeat my information three or four times then asked me for the barcode number on the back of the movie after I already told her repeatedly I didn't buy the damn movie. Either she was huffing paint thinner or didn't believe. How are they not able to look it up by the last 4 of the card number?? I have never done business with Redbox before and never will.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The absolute worst company I've ever dealt with, have no care for their customers and any trouble that they may have had. All they care about is getting paid. I'll never use Redbox again in my life. Worst possible people to do business with, thieves.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Have called 4 times about being unable to sign in at Redbox website. No help yet. Told unable to talk to some else who runs website. Have been member for over 10 yrs. Does anyone a phone number that is different than at website?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Please read. Do not scroll down. Do not rent at Redbox! Once they get a hold of your card information they will keep charging your card. They are thiefs. In two occasions it has happened to me. This is if you rent at a Redbox location.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Until Redbox makes it right, I am no longer a customer. Their kiosk was not working. A phone call sent me to a wrong kiosk. Upon arrival at the wrong kiosk, they told me that I was at the wrong kiosk, and had to go back to the one I was at before. They did not offer anything to make it right. So, then I drove back to the "right kiosk" and it would not respond. I called them again, and all they decided was that they would refund my money. I drove more than 20 miles, visited 3 locations, and didn't get my movies. Then, they hung up on me. I would rather spend the money to buy the movie at the store, or stream it from Amazon or Netflix.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’ve rented from Redbox On Demand three times now. Not once has it been easy to rent, stream etc. Their codes don’t work, the purchase won’t go through then when it does the movie won’t play, stream, download! Good luck getting help or credit either. You cannot chat because they have no on demand chat help. You cannot just request a refund because you have to talk it out and answer questions every time with still no credit issued. Keep in mind each time I’ve called has been transfers and being out on hold for 15-30 minutes with no help. Redbox has made it impossible to get help, resolve issues and obtain refunds. They need to dissolve their in demand service for it has sucked since day 1. It is not worth the hassle for the cheaper streaming price... and yes I have excellent WiFi and bandwidth. 100% of my TV and movie watching is through streaming services and apps on my TV for the last 8 years.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Really enjoy renting movies at Redbox, but their billing system leaves a LOT to be desired. So, in May I rented a movie, was billed partially through Redbox credit and partially on my credit card. Fast forward to September 15, I notice that more funds have been deducted from my Redbox account. It turns out, according to an email, this amount was for the movie I rented in May and returned after one day -- the one I was already billed from in May. Thinking it was a mistake, I contacted customer service only to be told that it was for the movie in May because they couldn't collect the payment in May due to my bank. I know for a fact (and have receipts to prove) that I had enough money to rent a movie that was under $2. I also had Redbox credit at that time.

The "customer service" rep then said it was because it is a "fully automated system that tries to collect fund every week." Odd since I rented multiple movies in the past 4 months using BOTH the Redbox credit and the credit card that has been tied to my Redbox account for 5 years. Only got scammed out of about $1, but it still kind of ticks me off to be ripped off and then treated like a moron for asking about it.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Never been to Redbox. About 2 weeks ago it was apparent that someone had hacked my debit card, there was a charge from Redbox for $8.64. Seems small enough and then there were several charges to some location in San Miguel, California. I only realized this when I went to use my own debit card and it was declined. I contacted the bank. They closed the old debit and re-issued a new card. Fast forward to weeks later, I log onto to my bank account to check that everything is as it should be and I see a Redbox charge for $110.16. I've never been to Redbox. I called Redbox and they have no record of this charge with my card. I also have disputed this with my bank but WTF is going on. I was relieved to see that I wasn't the only one this happened to but I do not understand how this was even possible with a new debit card. NEVER USE REDBOX!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I rented 2 movies and was charged the first days rental. I know this is an authorization but the terms of service and the help section says that it will turn into the final charge if the rentals are returned on time, which they were. I checked my account then next day after returning the discs and see I was charged twice. I called my bank to make sure that one was just a hold and the other was a charge,but they told me both were charges due getting separate authorizations. Now Redbox swears they never charged a 2nd time even though I have proof, they refused to look at my proof and also refused to talk to my bank. Now I told them I would dispute the charge as fraudulent and also press charges for fraud. As soon as I said that they locked me out of deleting my credit card info from the website and blocked my access to my account info too. I really wish I could file a lawsuit but it wouldn't do any good.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am an avid movie watcher. A night with some popcorn, candy and a couple flicks, I don’t think a better night exists (maybe some chocolate cookie dough ice cream too). About a month ago, I had rented a Redbox for my niece’s birthday/slumber party. We watched it, had the time of our lives and returned the movie the very next day. Well apparently, someone had hooked up a card scanning device in the Redbox system I had used because someone was able to duplicate my card and make a purchase of their own. I had randomly been charged $4.99 and at first I thought maybe it was a delayed charge from my original rental for my niece’s birthday but that had been a couple weeks ago. A few days after that it jumps to $39.99 and so at this point I know something fishy is going on.

I gave Redbox a call to see what the charge was about and the lady told me that it’s because I hadn’t returned the Xbox game I had purchased. I DON'T OWN AN XBOX. So I told the lady that there must have been a mistake. I’m 1000 percent sure I didn’t make that purchase. I called my bank, reported a fraudulent claim and had a new debit card sent to me. My bank told me they would investigate and take care of it. The investigation was done, it was found that it was not me and I was reimbursed. End of story. I thought.

Today woke up to a charge from Redbox for $147.66!! I was livid because this had been handled a month ago and yet, again, I had been charged. So I gave Redbox a call again and the man asked for my card information. I said my card information is not going to matter because I ordered a completely new one and he proceeds to tell me, “Oh yes sir, I have your bank information here, we’ll investigate it again”... You heard right. He had my bank information again and they’re just going to “investigate”. After the ORIGINAL investigation, they had gone out of their way to contact my bank and ask for my new card to continue charging when they felt the late fees had racked up enough. Redbox is such an unprofessional organization and when I’ve repeatedly voiced my concerns and issues with the charges, nothing has been done about it. They told me to talk to my bank and that they’d investigate. I refuse to spend another dollar on Redbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

As others have mentioned, Redbox is beginning to treat its "valued" customers as not so valuable any longer. Tried to rent a movie tonight and received the error message "We're sorry - A reservation could not be made because your Redbox account is not in good standing". Call Customer Care if you believe this is an error". Well, of course, I did call, because I have NEVER been late renting or returning, so my account not being in "good standing" was absurd.

When I called in to "Customer Care", I was told that it had nothing to do with my rental history. They were actually disabling my account because of my complaints about discs being scratched, not playing all the way through and being given too many promo codes. You're kidding, right? Is the Customer Care number not there to assist customers that have issues with discs. THEY are the ones who OFFERED the promo codes for the inconvenience. So -- let me understand this --they're mad because we're actually using the Customer Care number like we're SUPPOSED to? Is that not what it's there for?

I have 4 emails tied to Redbox and across all 4 accounts, I have a total of approx. 2500 points. In order to get those points, I had to have SPENT money (You don't points for free rentals), so I will happily take my $50-$60 a quarter that I have spent on Redbox movies and renew my PRIME membership with Amazon next year so I can stream as many movies as I would like!!!

Like others, I am an Amazon Prime member. I can stream movies on my Kindle for free and Amazon has no issues with calls that I make. I get top service from Amazon each and every time and they NEVER get angry because customers call in to voice concerns. Why in the world does have a Customer Care Department if they are angry when you have complaints that you voice? It's ridiculous. I called Redbox and told them they don't have to disable anything. I VOLUNTARILY CALLED AND CLOSED all my accounts with Redbox and on Monday, I will happily tell "Corporate" office that they can kiss my apples.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

First, they sent an offer that was stated as today only... It didn't work so I called and they said it was for the next day. What??? Then the next day I received the same offer again. I paid for the movie and then it wouldn't play. They had no concern about my issue. I said I wanted my money back and they said goodbye. Their website is saying they have issues... Really? I guess so and their service department does as well. The site says come back later. I want it On Demand so I can see it now not "sometime" in the future and the clock is running since it turned the clock on and said I have less than 48 hours to view it. My recommendation is to go somewhere else. This company is getting too fat-headed and they don't care about us customers that created their company.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I just wanted to warn everybody about my experience with Redbox. I rented a disc on July 19th and summarily returned it on July 22nd and which I was provided in my email a digital receipt. A couple weeks later I received an email stating go ahead and keep the disc will just charge you full price for it. When I contacted Redbox customer service I was told that they didn't have copy of the return receipt and that they were still going to charge me full price for disc which I did not possess. After calling them twice to have them stop charging me for something I do not have despite having a record in my own email that I did return the disc they refused to stop charging me. This is fraud. You cannot charge a person for a title they do not possess. They need to be sued.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This has happen many times before. I rented two movies at two in the morning on Tuesday "Breaking In" and "Life of the Party" and they were due on Wed by nine. I return them after eleven on Wed. I know I would have to pay one day late fee but they charge me two days. This has happen many times before. Plus the machine by my home is always down a lot. I am done with them.

Redbox Company Information