3.15/5
Based on 430 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1409 Netflix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using Netflix for a few months now. I have on several occasions "requested" movies on my TV but am unable to complete the connection. Along with this the set becomes frozen where I have to unplug then plug back into the outlet to correct the setting of the TV. I am dissatisfied with the service and will be cancelling.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Netflix has always questionably charged more and more for streaming online with little option given to subscribers (I remember when it was $7.99 and I've never actually asked for more services), but the most recent experience has been the worst. Found out 8/1/2018 that I've been upgraded to the Premium tier at 14.99 since February 23rd! I never authorized an upgrade to their highest tier.

After a check with customer service, I learned anyone, even the kids, can authorized the upgrade if the account is signed in. WELL OF COURSE THE ACCOUNT IS SIGNED IN, THE KIDS COULDN'T USE IT IF IT WASN'T! I pointed out to them that guess what, Hulu DOES confirm your account credentials when you attempt to access the account settings, apart from just being signed in to watch. That's how it should be done!

After reminding them I'm upset, the charges were not authorized, and I'm not afraid to move to Hulu or Amazon exclusively, or even the new Disney service potentially, they still wouldn't offer me any recompense whatsoever. They thought telling me to configure my text alerts solved the problem. NO! That's just a band-aid guys! Everyone and anyone can miss an e-mail or text alert under the right circumstances. I want a guarantee of the security of my account. This should be BEYOND EASY for a million dollar company to do. It's more than suspicious how easy they've made it to be overcharged without consent. Going to seriously consider other services. Bye Netflix!

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I created an account for my mother for which my card is regularly charged. During this time her card was being charged for what she thought was the same account. After 22 months we realized we were both paying for the same service and called CS to cancel one form of payment. We were informed that her payment was not being applied to her active account but rather a fraudulent account in Honduras. Obviously we contacted the bank immediately to cancel the card. We asked that Netflix refund the charges for the bogus account but were told that their policy only allows for a two month refund despite the facts that they've been receiving payments for nearly 2 years. As a long time customer with several other active accounts, I expected a quick resolution ie: a refund for the fraudulent charges.

Instead, I realize that there is a lack of security with their payment mechanism and a complete disregard for customer satisfaction. I was told by a service manager that the process of retrieving these stolen funds which they now possess was tedious and probably not worth the time it would take. He also made it clear that they will not assist in this process in any way. I guess the size and success of a company does not guarantee that they care about their customers' interests. The fraudulent account was created using only a debit card number with no other personal information linked to the account. I'd suggest that any reputable business would take an interest in resolving this type of issue promptly and would immediately return the stolen funds. Netflix has no problem keeping 20 months of fraudulent payments and that tells you all there is to know about the integrity of this company.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I have had less than favorable experiences with other streaming sites. Netflix is absolutely the best deal for the money. The DVD service is also very good. I believe the best deal for those wanting to watch just cable TV shows and movies is the Netflix streaming service along with the DVD service.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Jay from Netflix was amazing and gave GREAT customer service! Thank you Jay. I was unsure of what I was doing and Jay walked me through it as well as waited on the phone with me till I was completely satisfied and continued on with emails! Excellent job Jay!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netflix?

Original review: July 10, 2018

I'm glad I monitor what my kids watch... just went onto my daughter's Netflix profile to watch a show with her and she decided on the show Nailed It. Very disappointed... within the first 5 minutes the host cursed, talking about getting some action on a date and the thing they are making are vodka soaked cake pops... seriously this shouldn't be on Netflix Kids.

Original review: July 6, 2018

My experience with Netflix after canceling my account and returning 3 discs was horrible!! They charged me for a disc which was returned and refused to return my money to me!! They are thieves!! They have gone downhill over the years! Their customer service is bad!! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I cancelled Netflix before the 30 day trial was over. It was the same movies and shows it's always been. They ran my card THREE TIMES taking money that I did not authorize them to take. I called customer service and spoke to a very fast talking rep that did say she was issuing the refund but it would take 30 days!! It was a mistake on their end and I felt it unfair to have to wait and asked to speak to the supervisor to see if anything could be done sooner.

This phone conversation has been polite, effective and very fast at this point THEN the floor supervisor George gets on the phone and is rude and dismissive. He is talking over me and making condescending remarks. I asked him to respect and acknowledge my concern as a customer service rep for this company. I told him I was in customer service as well and this call would be PERFECT for training purposes on how NOT to speak to a customer and he hangs up on me. It is Sunday afternoon and I was blatantly disrespected by a company EVERYONE I knows pays for every month. I'm glad I cancelled.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Movies are horrid!!!! They have been cycling the SAME "Classic Movies" over and over and over and over and over... Getting tired of me saying over and over, well that how I feel about the same damn movies they've been peddling for a year now. CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION???

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have a complaint with Netflix. They've been charging me since 2016 on my account and I have not using it since 2016 on May and they still charging me now in 2018 and I had already told them close today and they're still charging me higher and higher charge. I am very upset about this money taken out from my account every month and I'm not using Netflix in 2016 in May. Please make this stop. I need that money back. Thank you.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I was calling to update my payment method. They had tried to take my payment out and I hadn't transferred money to that card yet. Well I transferred the money but their system still wouldn't take my card. So I called customer service. My mistake. They were the rudest people I have ever dealt with at this company. They were unwilling to do anything to help and had me ready to call membership by the time I finally just hung up. They wouldn't listen to me when I was trying to tell them they needed to refresh their system on my account so it would take my card. I talked to 2 different people and they both were awful. After I hung up I tried my card again and it finally took my card without their help. If you work in customer service it is your job to help the customer. If you don't like that don't work in that field.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I am a loyal customer to Netflix. I really love their original shows and movies but in the past few months the site has been overcrowded with these suck ** Bollywood movies. I understand that you want to broaden your selection but it's overloaded with this suckage. I rather watch Kung Fu with subtitles than this crap. Please create an option for people to create their own categories for them and just alert users as the new shows and movies come in. Thank you.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Horrible programming that feels very political everything. This would be ok if it was even but it's mostly liberal hate targeted towards cops, **, and straight people. They program "dear ** people and **" are full of hate towards ** can't believe it's actual shows now they bring in the largest race barker on history to develop shows lol. It's the equivalent saying let's have Al Sharpton produce for them it will be full of hate. I will never even watch their programs for Free America!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

In May of 2018 I discovered Netflix was fraudulently withdrawing money twice per month for 9 months and now refuse to issue a refund for eight of those months. I have to go through my bank to get my money back. There is a glitch in their system (that they appear to be aware of) when you update your personal information. Rather than update the account, a second account was created and Netflix "saw" similarities so they linked the two accounts and billed accordingly. I cancelled both accounts. Go Hulu and Amazon!!

Original review: May 13, 2018

I was given a gift certificate by my family for a year's subscription to Netflix. I am guessing Netflix raised their prices in the time it took me to subscribe as my $60 gift card wasn't expected to go as far as expected when I signed up. I used Netflix for about a month without an issue. I will be without internet for an indefinite period and I wanted to put my account on hold or cancel the subscription so I could use my balance when I started with Netflix again in the future. I was told by floor manager Michael in Tampa, FL, customer service that I could not save my $50 plus balance from being reduced to nothing during the time I will be without internet, even after I canceled my subscription.

I was told Netflix was unwilling to make this right by sending me a gift card for my remaining balance and there was no one else I could talk to about this. I was welcome to pay postage to send a letter to the corporate office, attention to no one in particular. This is terrible customer service, bad business, and has earned Netflix a failing grade in my mind. I will be warning family and friends, writing honest editorials, posting reviews like this one, and will not likely seek to do business with Netflix again unless this situation is speedily rectified. Netflix loses much more by stealing from their customers in the long run through bad publicity than if the company practiced good business principles.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I was hung up on 3 times and no one would tell me their name. Super shady company. I'm cancelling my credit card to make sure they will not charge me again. This company is the worst! Every customer service person kept laughing at me and saying they don't really care about customers because they don't pay very much. Horrible attitude.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We've been subscribers with Netflix since almost the beginning... especially the DVD service. We've endured price increase after price increase. We've been patient and understanding about half of our choices not being available on Netflix... they are on the DVD format... just not at Netflix... that's the first issue. However, what we are finding more and more often in the last year or two... which is much more frustrating... is that we now find ourselves waiting not just for weeks, but for MONTHS, for one disc in our queue. Mind you, this is something that is on DVD, that Netflix has, that they let us add to our queue... but one disc has been on 'very long wait' for three months now. This happens a lot!!! A 'very very lot'.

What could be going on here? Except mismanagement? Bean counting... bad software? All the others discs of this tv series (and not really a terribly popular series either) are available... just one isn't... just one is on 'very long wait'... the one disc we want!!! Make sense to you? No, not to us either. WE don't get any explanation... no consolation... nothing. We have to keep rearranging our queue to get around this one disc that is apparently being watch over and over again in Gnome, Alaska.

Here's suggestion number one. Have more than one or two discs for a series, for the entire country of subscribers!!! Explain to the customer, when time after time it keeps getting delayed!!! Be a good businessman and actually compensate your customer for you not being able to hold up your part of the relationship!!! Money off, or a how about just an extra disc!!! Nope, that would involve some human intervention, someone who isn't answering a phone from the Philippines, and reading off of a script, then telling you they have to transfer you to the 'DVD department'... then getting surfer dude on the call, who is snickering and laughing at you for being upset and criticizing Netflix. This guy sounded like he was calling from Amsterdam... you know... in one of those lounges over there!! Not kidding, right out of central casting for a stoner.

He just kept telling me the DVD was in transit with other customers. I asked how it could take three months... just kept repeating himself. I asked him if he could tell me when it would be our turn... just an approximation... nope. Could he tell me how many copies of this DVD Netflix has... nope. Useless!!! Keep raising your prices... there are more and more options out there. You'll go the way of your predecessors... Comcast and other cable companies who screwed the pooch out of their greed and incompetence!!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

New format May 1, 2018 - I've been a subscriber to Netflix for a number of years but the current quality of movies has deteriorated rapidly over the last 12 months. In summary... way too many foreign language subtitled shows to wade through and the overall quality of programming has been watered down significantly. Please put these foreign speaking shows in a separate category!!! I just want to relax with a movie and not have to read the dialogue. If I wanted to do that, I would buy a book.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I canceled my DVD service as I had never used it... They continued to charge me five dollars a month. They are so quick to cancel for nonpayment but will not credit me the amount... THEY OWE ME!!!

Original review: May 4, 2018

Netflix was ok but, now they have only unknown movie makers and 100% unknown actors!!! I expend hours looking for a movie!!! (Never find any movie that was on a theater)... they make a lot of money to buy good movies to offer us better selection but no... is getting worse everyday. BAD.

Original review: May 2, 2018

The NEW format as of 5/1/2018 is terrible. The movie selection is not good, they push and are making all their own movies or you have to read subtitles. The break down just shows the same few movies. Just like a typical American company, you like something and they just change, change, change. I am sure they are making the selection so small to force you to watch their shows. Sounds like an NBC, ABC problem but we are paying to watch!

Original review: April 30, 2018

First off I would like to extend my sympathy for anyone else going through what I'm goin through with Netflix or that's having problems with Netflix. My story starts on Nov or October of 2017 when I was intrigued by what Netflix had to offer, saw the commercials and was especially turned on by the 30 free trial. I knew of the company prior to joining and how they started with renting DVDs which quickly put blockbuster out of business. Long story short I had an account cancel due to nonpayment once and assumed I had no account. Little did i know that someone started the account back without me knowing changed my email address so they have been Netflix and chilling with my bloody programs. If you're still reading it gets better.

Now fast forward to 2018 April 30th 2 phone calls later I got off the phone with one rude Mindy and one beautiful but Annoying Angela which informed me that it could be fraud because they have been billing for months. Under no circumstances did I know about this. Let me tell you brothers and sisters I felt like a ** in the 16 century. I was burn alive on the phone. Anyway thank God I am straight man with common sense, They did promise to cancel the subscription and return $13.99 of my money and suggested they blocked my credit card and I should contact my bank to pursue fraud activity. Fair or not fair. You be the judge. Cheers.

Resolution response: June 9, 2018

Netflix has finally fixed this bug. I really appreciate having this capability restored. Thank you Netflix.

Original review: April 26, 2018

It has been over 2 months and I still can't access the entirety of "My List". Called 3 times and all I get told is it is an issue they are aware of. The "Manual list" is the only way to see what videos in your list will be deleted soon. For me, this is a major bug that needs fixing. 2 months with no fix for a serious problem is ridiculous.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Their streaming service is great and so far had very good exp on the phone them telling me about their dvd service how it works. I like that you can put your act on hold when you don't need it active. I would recom the service to family and friends that want to try it out.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Lately every time I find a movie that I want to watch it is not in English, I cannot read the subtitles fast enough and it is frustrating. Tonight, I tried 5 movies and they were ALL in a different language and there is no way to know that until you start the movie. If I am paying for this service, I should be able to have movies in the language that I speak. I am thinking about canceling my service with Netflix for this reason.

Original review: April 10, 2018

They have changed the interface in a terrible way by removing the Category option from the interface. I called the Support of Netflix several times to fix this problem, because to me selecting films from a category list like Horror, Series, Thriller, etc is the most easiest and quickest way to get through the whole content. I mean the category option which shows up a good overview of about 15/20 films on the screen and in which you can scroll up and down in an easy way. In that interface, if you hit the return button, you can exit Netflix in a quick way. But it is this option they have removed from the interface.

The support told me I should maybe the only one who was using this option, because nobody should use it. I can’t imagine. Because the new interface is really a big step back. It shows up only two lines with 5 films in it and you have to scroll in a horizontal way through the line strip to get an overview of the films which are covered by a topic like “best rated films”. However, it is this that is a slow way to get an overview of the content in a topic! And if you want to close Netflix, you first have to scroll in a vertical way to the strip containing the exit Netflix button, and then scroll in a horizontal way to that Exit button. Yes Netflix, really slow!

Further on the Support told you can search for Series via the Search option and typing the word ‘Series’. Again, typing the word ‘Series’ is not a quicker way than click a Series link in a Category list. Also, by typing ‘Series’ with the Search option, not the whole content of Series is showing up in the list, in contrast to the link ‘Series’ in the Category list, which shows the whole content. And this interface should give a better performance? Come on. I am ready with this and will stop my Netflix account.

Original review: April 9, 2018

For anyone just getting on the movie streaming steam train, please don't blow your money on Netflix. It's highly overrated and not worth subscribing to let alone supporting. Why, you ask? For one, 90% of movies on Netflix are 'Netflix Originals'. 90% of Netflix originals are series. Why is that important other than the fact that it's very annoying and damn right wrong? Because Netflix doesn't pay royalties on their own ** content. There are very very very very few movies on Netflix that are worth watching. Most are very low budget and old AF... Speaking of, any movie found under the 'recently added to Netflix' list may just as well be a movie that was released in 1980.

They are just so cheap it makes me nauseous. And please dont get me started on the lack of user features. 'Match function??? It doesn't WORRRRKKK!!! Why the do they not provide an IMDB or Rotten Tomato score? The ratings they show are literally based 100% entirely off movies that I watch. MYSELF. And if I dont rate the movie afterwards, how the flying ** does Netflix know whether it's a 97% match? Netflix also doesnt have sub-genres. I mean really... WTF. As for the categories, most thrillers are horror movies, many action movies are comedies, and many horror movies are thrillers. Movie descriptions are also terrible and many movies do not have a trailer and fml it goes on.

To summarise. Lack of good movies. Lack of good series. Lack of series uploads. Discontinuation of series without explanation. ** suggestions. ** features. Terrible movie descriptions. Terrible everything. Netflix. You have the worst movie streaming service ever. I hope you receive a swift dose of competition and thereafter, competence. You need to seriously step up your game.

Original review: April 6, 2018

It has been 2 months and I still can't access the entirety of "My List". Called 3 times and all I get told is it is an issue they are aware of and keep checking back for a fix. 2 months with no fix for a problem is ridiculous. Talked with a supervisor and because I've still streamed even though I can't access my full list they are not going to do anything in terms of compensation or elevation of the issue further (seriously their message about the problem said do not escalate further, just take customer info and log). That's bad customer service right there.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My issue was Netflix was taking two payments out of my bank account but I only have one account. I spoke with Netflix customer service representative Jose who confirmed that he found a duplicate account with charges of 10.99. Netflix Jose told me he was going to cancel that account and issue a refund back to my card for the last 3 months but he informed me I had been double charged from April 2016. Netflix Jose told me the second account linked to my card showed the email was invalid. When I asked could he refund me the full amount from the second account that I have been charged for Netflix Jose said basically, “On our end it only lets us issue the last 3 months. You will need to contact your financial institution to dispute the rest of the charges.” When I told him it wasn't a good enough answer and Netflix are happy to take double payment and then shrug their shoulders when they are pulled up on it.

I wanted a full refund and I felt it was Netflix's place to sort it out. I then asked to speak to his manager and unfortunately was put on to Netflix Francis. Netflix Francis said he understood that I had an account created with the same card and that I was charged twice for that. I asked to be refunded the full amount Netflix has been taking from my account? He said the reason, why they cannot issue more than that, is because the system cannot go further than that. Once I request the dispute my bank will contact Netflix with the information and we can process the refund. I said I know that "systems" are run by people and people can override systems where there is a customer service issue. This is a customer service issue. I deal with customer service issues every day in work and I go out of my way to help my customers. I didn't even get an apology from Netflix Jose or Netflix Francis.

I told them I wasn't impressed with the service. Netflix Francis replied, “We are trying to help you, Tracy, I know you were not aware of these charges until now, we have to cancel the duplicate account and we issue the refund that we were able to process, but in order to help you with the rest of the charges this has to be done by the dispute process with your bank.” This is where I got so fed up with the lack of an apology and Netflix's refusal to help.

I decided to tell them how I felt it should have been handled. I said, “Netflix Francis here is what I think a real apology should sound like from a customer service representative. It should go like this... "I'm so sorry you're having problems with Netflix, we really value your service and will do everything to help you. I'm so sorry you have been double charged. I don't know how this has happened but I can refund you 3 months straight away. To get the rest of the money back you have been overcharged you will have to contact your bank. Here is our customer service email and I would like you to email us and let us know if this has sorted your issue out.” I told Netflix Francis that the way he had dealt with this issue has left me annoyed and now all I want to do is to cancel Netflix service altogether and let the world know how badly Netflix treat their customers. One very very dissatisfied customer.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Netflix needs to think twice about which original series they choose to renew and which they choose to cancel. Gypsy was cancelled only six weeks after it premiered, without even giving it a second season which has disappointed a lot of people. Meanwhile, continuing to renew so many other insane shows. If this is how they continue to treat their original series they are going to lose a lot of viewers. In addition, the number of shows and movies we have available here in Australia on Netflix is poor.

Netflix expert review by Jonathan Trout

Netflix got its start in 1997 and is based in Los Gatos, California. It provides streaming services around the world and produces its own films and television shows called Netflix Originals. You can choose from three streaming plans: Basic, Standard and Premium. The plan you choose determines how many devices you can stream from at once.

• Basic plan: The Basic plan is $7.99 per month. You can stream TV shows and movies on one device at a time in standard definition (SD). You can also download movies and TV shows to one phone or tablet, so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Standard plan: The Standard plan is $9.99 per month. You can stream TV shows and movies on two devices at the same time, in high definition (HD). With the standard plan, you can download shows and movies to two phones or tablets so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Premium plan: The Premium plan is $11.99 per month. This plan lets you stream TV and movies on up to four devices at the same time in high definition (HD) and ultra high definition (UHD). You can download shows and movies to four phones or tablets so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Supported devices: Always on the go? The Netflix app lets you stream anywhere. Watch on your smart TV, PlayStation, Xbox, Chromecast, Apple TV, Blu-ray players and more. If you’re traveling, download shows and movies to your tablet or smartphone. You can also stream on your computer.

• No commitment: Netflix lets you join free for one month. After your one-month free trial, your monthly payments will start. If you decide you don’t want Netflix anymore, you can cancel online anytime.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Basic plan, two devices at once with the Standard plan and up to four devices at once with the Premium plan.

• Best for: people who want a variety of older movies and TV shows streamed on multiple devices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Netflix Company Information

www.netflix.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business