2.79/5

1688 Netflix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 30, 2019

Hi, I am writing this review because I was amazed at the support I just received from Netflix's customer service. I'm just a college student, and I never normally write reviews. I wasn't paid to write this review at all. So I received an email from Netflix saying that my account was accessed from Westminster, United Kingdom (I lived in the US). Then, an email saying my password has changed. Finally, that my email associated to the account was updated to a different email. Immediately, I knew my account was hacked.

The email had a section saying, "If you did not ask to change your password we are here to help secure your account, just contact us." This allowed me to call up the Netflix customer service. I thought I would be linked to an automated service (like Lyft, Uber, or any other lazy tech company has in place in order to cut operation costs), but instead I was connected (within 1 minute) to a REAL person on the phone, who was super helpful.

She verified my account information, and within a couple minutes helped me win back control over my account. I am amazed at the customer service Netflix has given me. Again, there's a reason I decided to Google "Netflix Reviews" in order to write this review somewhere and expose this to the world. More tech companies need to learn from these customer service practices and put them in place. This was great. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

NetFlix has a wide variety of movies and shows, the picture quality is good enough since we're not videophiles, sometimes we will be watching something and for a split moment the screen goes black which is probably due to internet speed once in a while lags. I kind of wish Netflix would put their entire library on the internet instead of having to order DVDs for a lot of films, but maybe that would require a huge increase in the cost of the servicing since they would have to be able to stream a lot more stuff?

Plus sometimes when I get a DVD it has scratches and is unplayable but NetFlix will send another just takes a bit of time. Otherwise it great to be able to watch shows in a much shorter time frame without having to deal with 20 minutes of advertising garbage that I have no interest in anyways! And it's a lot cheaper than cable which has more issues with video quality than NetFlix, plus I have control over what I want to see and when I want to see it; so I no longer have cable, just NetFlix and antenna tv.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Netflix is the first streaming service I’ve ever subscribed to though I now have three. I find that it has an extensive library of entertainment and have enjoyed countless hours of viewing. I’ve watched so many shows and movies that I even keel a list of all my favorites which I happily supply to my family and friends who ask for recommendations. I feel like I’ve become quite a connoisseur of entertainment. I have especially enjoyed the many British and Australian shows; most of which I would probably have never gotten a chance to watch if it hadn’t been for Netflix. I also particularly like the Netflix original series - of course, starting with Orange is the New Black. I watch almost each and every recommendation that the service offers to me and it’s always on point!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Netflix gives the most bang for the buck! Their original programming is outstanding! I would like to them more in-line with Hulu in providing new Network content a few days after it airs; however not understanding the complexities of licensing and contract structure, that may not be a viable/profitable road for them. They are the best and handling bandwidth during peak hours as I never see a streaming issue with Netflix as I do with some of the other major streaming services. There is definitely room to branch out on TV content and perhaps some local options in the future. All in all, Netflix is our go to service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Just signed onto Netflix on January 10, 2019. So far so good. For $7.99 per month, this is a really good deal! I love the movie selections and they have a lot of the 70's sitcoms I grew up with and like to watch! (Cheers, That 70's Show, Andy Griffith....). I do not understand why all the low ratings but I guess I will see how it goes as time goes on. I am only sorry I didn't sign up sooner. I canceled my cable TV. Bought an antenna and getting all my major channels free and now paying far less than cable with Netflix!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netflix?

Original review: May 17, 2019

We inadvertently sent back our own personal DVD instead of the DVD we had rented. Before I noticed the mistake, I received an email stating that the correct DVD had been received. Later, I realized that I had actually sent one of my own and I proceeded to contact Netflix by phone; they explained that they would return my personal DVD two weeks after they received. Four weeks later, we had still received the DVD. After speaking with them again, they told me that they were unable to locate my DVD. While waiting for the return of my DVD, I had returned the correct DVD to them by placing two DVDs in the same envelope.

After a couple of months, I spoke with Netflix one more time to determine if the DVD had been located in the last few weeks. The answer was no again. After asking for details on proper protocol when DVDs arrive at the warehouse, the customer rep told me that DVDs are checked when they arrive in the warehouse to be certain that the correct DVD is in the white envelope. As I explained to the rep, this means that, if proper protocol was followed, someone found my DVD in the envelope and took it for themselves without reporting the correct DVD unreceived. That means my DVD was stolen by a Netflix employee. If correct protocol was not followed, then the DVD was lost due to Netflix's negligence. Either way, I asked for Netflix to recompense me a small amount as the DVD was only bought at the second - hand bookstore. Netflix refused.

They offered me a couple of extra movies, but this did not put money in my pocket with which to replace the movie. In addition, Netflix refused to give me a month for free which would have put money in my pocket to replace the movie with. Many years ago, a Netflix DVD was stolen from my car. When I reported it, Netflix charged me $30 for not returning their property. Why can they not treat me the same way?

Original review: May 16, 2019

Just received an email stating I was eligible for a free 1 month trial. I had a Netflix account last year and thought I’d give it a try again. Clicked on the red free trial box and I had to use PayPal to get signed up. I was immediately charged for a month. When I called the help line and reviewed the email, it said If you have had a Netflix account in the last year you would not be eligible for the free month! Talk about bait and switch! Why are they sending me an email to stating I’m eligible for a free month if I’m not. The help line person made all kinds of excuses, saying they are randomly sent by a computer. Really? But I guess it would be to difficult to program the computer to send these emails only to people who are eligible for the free trial to begin with.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Netflix's blu-ray DVDs are very low quality. Their disc got stuck in my Oppo player, cracked/broke and broke my player. My player cannot read any disc and is responding with Unknown disc. Oppo service told me that Netflix's disc ruined a laser lens. A repair will cost me $99.00 + shipping. Netflix does not want to take any responsibility for the damage. Actually, their customer service told me because I put their disc in the player that it is my fault. Where is a logic? Based on this terrible experience our whole family is cancelling their streaming service and getting it from HULU.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My service recently kept changing to Spanish including my emails. When I called I could barely understand what the representative was saying. I asked what country she was in and she said Asia (which is not a country). After I gave her my email and confirming my devices used, she then asked for my telephone number. I gave her my number and she said that was not the number on the account. I asked her what number was listed and she said she couldn’t tell me for security reasons. Then she wanted the last 8 digits of my credit card. I asked why she needed more sensitive information and she said it was for security. I told her that I have the right to know what number is on the account and she still refused. I asked for the last four numbers of the phone number if she was worried I would call someone. She still refused insisting on the last 8 of my credit card.

I told her I would give her the last 4 which is good for every other company in the US but then I found out from the Supervisor that they are in Manila, Philippines. I had had it with Netflix by now and requested to have my account cancelled immediately and they are no longer authorized to use my credit card. I asked for confirmation of the cancellation and what I got was was his employee ID# **. I asked for the current time where he is and it was canceled at 8:35 AM in Manila, 5:35PM PT. It should be noted that I HAD been a satisfied Netflix customer for many years until the past few months when the rate went up, service went down, my language mysteriously keeps changing to Spanish even though I am the only person with access to my account and verified by my device list. Thanks Netflix for saving me some money.

Original review: May 15, 2019

We have been Netflix customers since 2005. Initially for DVDs and more recently for streaming, and adding roughly over $2000 to Netflix profitability, helping make them one of the big guys (FAANG). Well, NOT ANY LONGER. Netflix has become too big and proves once again how power corrupts. Netflix used to provide a very good and diverse service. They should have stayed with that model! They now present their users with how to think (politically), which means they are not to be trusted as a service or with our personal data. They put politicians on their board, cater to one-sided political productions, and sensor out diverse productions that are not to their liking. I will be canceling our Netflix service today, and thank ConsumerAffairs for this opportunity to voice my dissatisfaction with Netflix. P.S. I am adding ConsumerAffairs to my website. Thanks again.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I recently had a problem with the netflix app, I download content and view it offline because data is expensive in south Africa, after finishing the downloads I switch off my internet access and log on the app but it shows me the view more episodes option and all the downloads I've made are hidden. Now I call an agent to assist me with this matter but he tells me all these options and all dont work but at the end he tells me to download them again, like seriously use my data again to download content which I've downloaded? I'm very upset as I trusted this company.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Netflix was my favorite streaming website for years. It offers a wide selection of tv shows and movies and the layout felt easier to use that others like Amazon Prime or Hulu. It always had something for me to watch and I could usually find the shows I loved on it. For a while, it was improving. More shows. Better shows. Shows from all over the world. More language options. More anime even, a guilty pleasure of mine. As of the past year, it's gone downhill though. They've upped the price while removing a lot of my favorite shows. What used to be the place where I could catch up on shows I loved and rewatch old favorites or binge new series, has become a place of frustration as they literally remove shows while I'm in the middle of watching them. And there isn't even a warning! Many shows like Switched at Birth, Being Human, and so many more have been removed.

Meanwhile, they upped the price too and took away the ability to review shows and the order of shows on "My List" never stops changing. It feels like it's become focused on catering mostly to their Netflix Originals instead. And, while some of those originals are enjoyable, many are terrible. Especially when it comes to the horror/thriller genre. While it still has a better layout, in my opinion, compared to Hulu and still offers a lot of shows I can't easily get elsewhere, after reading the list of shows to be removed this year, I'm not so sure they will be getting my money much longer. Their originals are not worth the price they charge in most cases.

They aren't the worst thing on earth, but they aren't what I signed up for when I chose Netflix so many years ago. I signed up to get content that I couldn't get on On Demand and shows I had watched and wanted to rewatch. And that's what I thought I was paying for. Not a terrible live version of Death Note, a bunch of horrors with almost no plot or dialogue, and some half baked attempts at creating movies. And honestly, Hulu originals are better. But I didn't come here for the originals sooo honestly will likely drop my subscription within the year.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I love Netflix and all the choices you get on it but recently Netflix have been cancelling series, which is leaving the series on cliff hangers so you never find out the end. This has now happened with ten different series I started watching.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have been a member of Netflix since getting DVDs in the mail. I have canceled my subscription. Netflix, because there are more views and also 2 other parties here in America. I wish you had at least some conservative points of views. Not liberally biased and leaning far left. I feel like you are going to even further brainwash the young millennials with flights of fancy, of a perfect world.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I had an account in Netflix, with my credit card. Then my father decided to start paying himself instead of me, so he made another account with his credit card. So I cancelled mine. After a while I noticed that I am still paying for Netflix! Apparently there was a sign in to the older account because it never WARNs you if you are going to reactivate, you don't notice that you're signing in to the older account, then it automatically reactivate the account and you will start paying again!!!! I had to pay for almost a year for the account, then I cancelled. Then again it happened (probably from another user), then I cancelled, then again it happened!!! I contacted Netflix, AND THEY REFUSED TO REFUND THIS PERIOD!!! Shame on a big company like Netflix to steal money in this way.

Original review: May 1, 2019

The biggest problem with Netflix service is that each movie has its license and expire date. Lately I've seen movies, and shows I love go, replaced by cheap, American productions. I don't say all of them are bad, but the most is just time-killer, even, though Netflix service is not for free. That's sad like, the positions on Netflix library are given us based on their popularity or price of the license and that's pointless to look for underground movies, less popular or just the older ones. Love Netflix, but still it's not a nice thing when for example "Cloud Atlas" is being replaced by "The Perfect Date".

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently found out that I was being double billed for Netflix services and not a single representative nor manager did anything to RESOLVE the issue. I basically begged for help in resolving this matter and no steps were taken let alone offered. I am still stuck with this bill. If you're looking for good customer skills...this is not the place to give it to you. I had a manager tell me that no matter what the situation... they don’t do refunds & there’s no need to further discuss the issue.

If you’re looking for someone to go the extra mile to make things fair and just...this not the company to give it you. I offered to bring the other billing party (whom they have a contract with!) on a conference call to come to some kind of resolution but they refused. Not once but TWICE by two different managers that I experienced this with. Very disappointing, Netflix!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been charged double each month since November 27, 2017 - 17 months worth! Apparently someone there didn't close out my old email and that account remained opened being used. My daughter and I share an account which was under my email address. I asked to be reimbursed the $135.83 that was deducted from my banking account over a 17 month period @ $7.99. They refused to refund any of the charges. I'll find a different company to go through from here on out! Plus their customer service is terrible!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Same thing happened to me as happened to Yanet of Lakeland and the reason I looked up review sites to see if similar had happened elsewhere. Same reaction as well. Customer service completely nonplussed about the fact that the account had been compromised, account re-activated using stored card details and the same request for the last 8 numbers on the card which I didn't have to hand. I did point out to the lady that she seemed entirely relaxed about the whole thing and knew straight away the procedure to correct this indicating to me that this is happening a lot. Certainly won't be using Netflix again.

Original review: April 21, 2019

If I could give a 0 I will. This morning I found out that my account was compromised, I immediately called customer service, for my surprise no sense of urgency at all. They wanted me to confirm the last 8 numbers of the credit card on file, after a million time explaining that I was working and did not have that information available, a supervisor said that is nothing that they can do. Extremely disappointed because they can't do anything but a fraudster can go into my account and change everything - my email, phone number, all my info and they don't care. Worst company and customer service ever and your information can get easily compromise. Don't get the service before you regret it like I did today.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Frequent streaming interruptions + cheap series B movies. It happens too often that viewing of content is interrupted without reason and we need to reboot. In addition movies offered generally are cheap low quality movies.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Please stop removing good shows and replacing them with bad ones. Especially your own originals. The first one that should be fixed specifically is Daredevil. It's actually helping people forget about the horrible way Matt Murdock was portrayed in 2003 by the horrible actor: Ben Affleck. The storyline is actually right and it beats most of your other originals. I used to love Netflix, but over the years I can't find anything to watch anymore. Even out of your thousands of shows and movies. I just watch the same ones over and over again.

Original review: April 18, 2019

On three separate Netflix accounts, I have noticed that the prompt for "are you still watching?" comes up more frequently. Twice in under an hour every time. They are probably saving bandwidth. I appreciate that there are no commercials on Netflix. That beats Hulu.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been a customer of Netflix almost since day one. At first they had a variety of movies to search from now they have this system where they Make You Chose from their on archive of movies. None of these movies are chosen by my likes or dislikes it’s just a catalog of movies that don’t interest me at all. Not only that they raise the price this year and most of the new movies they have came out with for Netflix are trash “Black Summer” is one, O^ is another and a slew of foreign films that might be interesting but who has the time or patience for them.

I have recently joined Hulu and I am liking it a lot better I am thinking of walking away fr Netflix because apparently after all these years they have managed to destroy a good streaming service when it first started you could search for movies by name and the movie would show up but if it wasn’t in the database you could get a cd mailed out or they would find a movie similar not now. And what’s the purpose of me adding movies to my favorites if they remove them once they remove them from the Netflix stream I added them to favorites thinking they would remain there as long as I paid the high price to stream every month Netflix little gift to a valued customer but nope they could careless about the customer apparently and the focus is all about the money. Hulu is about to earn my business and loyalty after this month plus their prices are better

Original review: April 15, 2019

When I signed up for their free trial, they said they would send a reminder before the free trial period ends. But I never got a reminder and got charged for two months of membership. I contacted the customer service, but they were not able to give me a refund. She said they don't do refunds anymore. I would have not signed up for the free trial if I knew I would not get a reminder since I tend to miss the deadline for cancelling things. Very disappointed for such a big company.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I don't have a Netflix account. That, however, hasn't stopped someone from using my bank details to pay for their own access to Netflix services for the past two months -- as I've just discovered. Thankfully, my card hasn't been used for any other illicit purchases, so this is purely a Netflix-related problem. However, that didn't stop the Netflix representative I spoke to from blaming me for being careless with my card (even though, as I pointed out to her, it hasn't been used for anything else, so it's clearly not identity theft). She'll now block my card from being used to make any more payments, which means -- she told me -- I can't set up a Netflix account myself using that card. Frankly, with that level of service and responsibility, I wouldn't want to.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Netflix is purchasing awful computer generated special effect DVD movies from Chinese filmmakers. Air Strike is a great example of the cheap stuff that is being offered as current movies. Bruce Willis should be ashamed of himself.

Original review: April 11, 2019

When you want to browse for movies, you can basically choose a grown up profile or child's profile. Neither of which has proper filters so that you can browse what you actually maybe want to see without either getting a horrible sex/violence/profane clip with a grown up profile or movies that are only for 5 year olds. It should have more filters and be able to distinguish not solely based on basic filters. I'm thinking of cancelling when Disney+ begins streaming services. With Disney+ and Pureflix, maybe I'll have some wholesome entertainment without having put up with unfiltered garbage!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Netflix, you are really starting to be annoying! This message seems to be the norm “We’re having trouble playing this title right now. Please try again later or select a different title....” When calling Customer service the attitude is like Oh Well... Long time customer since DVD mail service, DO BETTER.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I've been disappointed in Netflix before but their removal of a documentary called Root Cause which details the truth about root canals due to complaints from dentists who do root canals is abominable. Yeah, it's about money people, not your health, and now you can't know because it can potentially cut into the profits of the greedy dentists doing these highly profitable procedures. Shame on you Netflix for being part of the system. And then on top of that, raising your prices too. What more am I being offered? Nothing. Thanks for censoring what I am able to watch. Might be too dangerous for me and others to have that information, dangerous for the profiteers that is. Shame. Shame.

Netflix expert review by Jonathan Trout

Netflix got its start in 1997 and is based in Los Gatos, California. It provides streaming services around the world and produces its own films and television shows called Netflix Originals. You can choose from three streaming plans: Basic, Standard and Premium. The plan you choose determines how many devices you can stream from at once.

• Basic plan: The Basic plan is $7.99 per month. You can stream TV shows and movies on one device at a time in standard definition (SD). You can also download movies and TV shows to one phone or tablet, so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Standard plan: The Standard plan is $9.99 per month. You can stream TV shows and movies on two devices at the same time, in high definition (HD). With the standard plan, you can download shows and movies to two phones or tablets so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Premium plan: The Premium plan is $11.99 per month. This plan lets you stream TV and movies on up to four devices at the same time in high definition (HD) and ultra high definition (UHD). You can download shows and movies to four phones or tablets so you can watch without an internet connection.

• Supported devices: Always on the go? The Netflix app lets you stream anywhere. Watch on your smart TV, PlayStation, Xbox, Chromecast, Apple TV, Blu-ray players and more. If you’re traveling, download shows and movies to your tablet or smartphone. You can also stream on your computer.

• No commitment: Netflix lets you join free for one month. After your one-month free trial, your monthly payments will start. If you decide you don’t want Netflix anymore, you can cancel online anytime.

• Multiple devices: Stream on one device with the Basic plan, two devices at once with the Standard plan and up to four devices at once with the Premium plan.

• Best for: people who want a variety of older movies and TV shows streamed on multiple devices.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout