General Mills

Compare Food Products

Research top Food Products recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Excited that French Toast Crunch was back on the shelf, I bought a box. I was eating a big bowl of my cereal when I notice black on the French Toast... I took those cereal pieces out and to my surprise it was mice droppings that were stuck to the cereal... Whatever syrup they use to coat the cereal, it was all coated together. I am very disgusted that these things go unnoticed and that this even happens at all. I USED to love Gen Mills cereal. Never Again. I will be seeing a doctor.

I just attempted to eat a can of "Traditional" Italian style wedding soup. After heating and beginning to eat I bit down and felt something hard but had already begun to swallow. A very sharp triangular piece of wood with sharp spines caught in my throat. One side had a blue covering. It appears to be something like a corner piece of part of the manufacturing process. I will call the comment phone # on can.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the best thing since slice bread. Believe me, I eat sliced bread every day! But I haven't had anything quite like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. General Mills has just earned brownie points.

Most disgusting this ever. This wasn't an issue with the supermarket since the maggots were in the sealed area with the cereal. Will never touch Cheerios as long as I live.

Found a 3" piece of wood in Chex Mix - I called the toll free number and they offered to send certificates to use for their other products. They were not interested in seeing this piece of wood or concerned about what might have splintered off and been ingested, or the paint on one side of the wood and it's consequences of ingesting. They offered that they don't usually make call backs. They took some basic info found on the bag but have no interest in seeing what was in the bag. I was so disappointed in this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Mills?

I went into Publix to buy your "gluten free" Cheerios and when reading the ingredients, it had wheat, which contains gluten. So, your Cheerios are not gluten free. This is very disappointing as my daughter loves your Cheerios, but she is on a gluten free diet to help prevent seizures, and can not have your cereal.

I bought a box of General Mills Dark Chocolate Cheerios at the 99 Cent Store. The better-if-used-by date was January 2015. We tasted them yesterday morning and they were stale. I sent them an email complaining about them being stale. I never received a reply from them.

Just a wk. ago I was eating a granola bar. My grandsons 5 & 7 also had ask for one. As I was eating mine, I began to bite down on something hard which I thought was a peanut but turn out to be a rock which broke off a piece of my back tooth. The 7yr. old had pretty much finished his bar & the 5 yr. old had not open his & was upset when I took it away from him. I sent an email to the complaint department followed by calling and speaking to a rep that took my complaint & said someone would be contacting me in a few days & it would be OK for me to eat the rest of the 9 bars. (Can you believe that?) Been a wk. now & no contact. I went to the dentist & had my tooth filled & repaired. Will be recontacting to see what's the next step.

I usually love eating Natures Valley Granola Bar until today when I found a live maggot and two more dead maggots. The bar usually come in two bars wrapped package. I ate one bar completely and went to eat the 2nd one and that's when I saw the maggot crawling in and out of the bar. Usually I don't look at the bar when I eat them somehow I looked n saw it. "How many of those maggots did I eat over the past few days?! Totally disgusted at this point. I contacted General Mills and report what happen. She collect some info from me and offer a replacement for the bars... I declined and said, “After today I won't be eating those again." She said I can use the certificate to get any General Mills product. I did recorded the incident on video and offer to email it to them but she didn't need it. Never eating any granola or anything like that again!

While eating a bowl of Total Raisin Bran, I bit down on a very hard object about the size of a large jelly bean with the consistency and smell of the material roads are made of (blacktop)! I took a knife to try to cut it in half and it broke into many pieces. It was definitely not an edible material and smelled and looked like macadam.

General Mills claimed to change their Lucky Charms cereal ingredients so that whole grain, and not sugar, is the first ingredient. They were able to do this not by adding more whole grain but because they made the marshmallow itself an ingredient in the cereal. If you look at the ingredients contained in the marshmallow itself, you'll see that sugar is first. The next ingredient after the list of marshmallow ingredients is sugar.

So, if marshmallow was eliminated as an ingredient, the ingredients list would read: whole grain oats, sugar, followed by more sugar. I feel this is deceptive advertising on behalf of the company. They claim to make the cereal healthier by making whole grain the first ingredient, which would lead a consumer to think there is more whole grain. Yet, the cereal's first real ingredient is still sugar.

I was eating some chex mix and tasted as if I chewed up a pill. It left my tongue yellow, my mouth numb, and an awful taste in my mouth. The hospital cannot test the food I spit out. I want the food tested! What if it had been my one year old daughter who had gotten whatever was in it? It was awful trying to wash out my mouth. What if there are other bags out there with whatever was in mine?

General Mills is the manufacturer of Multi Grain Cheerios and for years, the product has boasted not only whole grains, but like the company's total cereal line, a wide range of 100% of vitamins and minerals. The company has now reformulated Multi Grain Cheerios and while still selling the product for a relatively high cost and continuing to promote the whole grains issue, which was also a part of the previous formula's advertising, it completely fails to point out that out of the sixteen vitamins and minerals of the previous formula, the new version of the cereal has reduced the percentage of eleven vitamins and minerals and completely eliminated two others:

Previous formula:

13. Pantothenic Acid - removed
14. Phosphorus 8%
15. Magnesium 4%

16. Zinc 25% - reduced

Nothing else in the cereal has changed. The list of ingredients in the 100% formula vs the lower vitamin ratio is identical. When the company was contacted regarding this issue, the following response was provided: "Thank you for contacting us concerning Multi Grain Cheerios cereal. We appreciate the opportunity to address this matter. Multi Grain Cheerios' vitamin levels have been reformulated. The vitamin and mineral profile of Multi Grain Cheerios is now similar to that of Yellow Box Cheerios. Multi Grain Cheerios now delivers an excellent source of 8 vitamins and minerals for our all-family consumer base. Multi Grain Cheerios continues to deliver 20 grams of whole grain and a good source of fiber in each serving. Multi Cheerios still has the same delicious taste with a lightly sweetened blend of five whole grains: Oats, corn, rice, wheat and barley. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know."

As can be seen, the response given provides absolutely no answer as to why the cereal's vitamin and mineral profile had been reduced or even acknowledges that such has occurred! "Multi Grain Cheerios now delivers an excellent source of 8 vitamins and minerals for our all-family consumer base." That sentence alone indicates that General Mills considers 25% to be an excellent source, but 100% is not?! A follow-up mail has been sent to General Mills asking for clarification as to exactly why the company made such a drastic reduction in the formula, but as of today (one week later), a reply has not been received. What the company should have done is follow one of the following options:

1. Raised their prices without changing the product.

2. Reduced the amount of cereal in each box (a bit easier to detect than reduced vitamin content).

Had I been given the choice to either pay more to cover the increased manufacturing costs or have the vitamin/mineral percentages of the food altered, my wallet would have been wide open. But consumers were not consulted. The company simply took it for granted that money is more important to the general public than physical well-being. Even if a consumer does not make a habit of comparing details on a product's lists of nutrition facts, such a cutback by a company does not always guarantee that the price of the product will be similarly reduced. General Mills is a massive, prosperous company and there is no logical reason to diminish the health factor of a product that had already been a top seller.

I was eating a bowl of Fiber One Raisin Bran Clusters on a Saturday night, when I bit into something hard and broke off a piece of my back molar. I went to the dentist. He put on a temp. crown and said that if the pain doesn't stop, he will need to do a root canal. Well, it has been 3 weeks and the pain is still there. So, I guess I will be getting a root canal now, plus the crown. I am in constant pain and now taking 800 mg IB 3x a day, plus using some Percocet I had.

I found mouse droppings in my General Mills Oatmeal Crisp Maple Nut Flavour Cereal. I feel sick. I will be seeing my doctor. Consequences: heartburn and upset stomach.

I do not believe Cheerios lowers cholesterol. I have been eating Cheerios for years, box after box along with raw oats. My cholesterol is always high!

On March 30, 2009, I filed an internet complaint with Progresso regarding live and unknown insects in a container of Progresso bread crumbs which had just been used with unknown health implications for my wife any myself. I received a letter dated April 1, 2009 from General Mills along with 3 free product coupons, but there was no attempt to resolve the complaint or investigate further.

On April 4, 2009, I filed a copy of the complaint with the Arizona attorney general's office with supporting documents. They advised me that it was forwarded to the FDA office in Phoenix, AZ. I wrote to the FDA office in Phoenix, AZ on May 5, 2009 and asked for an update on the complaint. I got the phone number for the FDA consumer complaint office at 19701 Fairchild in Irvine, CA 92612. On May 28, 2009, I spoke to Mr. Frank ** on ** regarding the problem with resolving the complaint. I mailed Mr. ** a copy of all the backup material and he promised to get back to me with some sort of resolution. On the same day I mailed a copy of the material to my AZ state rep Trent Franks and to my AZ state senator John Kyl.

As of August 3, 2009, I have not received any communication from any of the above. We as consumers need to be aware that the various entities of government are totally incompetent and unresponsive to the needs of their citizens/constituents. If there was some serious health risk from the contamination in this food product and any user would be either sick or dead, no one would have done anything to avert a possible widespread and serious problem. I have copies of all correspondence as well as the container of bread crumbs which still has a live and active population of these insects.

I was eating pop secret popcorn on August 09, 2008 when I tasted gum in my mouth. I spat the contents out of my mouth and found gum. I would like to find out where I can get the gum tested for poison, disease, and/or otherwise. I currently have health insurance but I cannot afford to pay the $75.00 co-pay to go to the emergency room. Do you have or know of any facilities in which I can have the popcorn tested?

I found a piece of wood in a can of Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup on December 20. I called the number on the back of the can and was not pleased with their response. I called again the next day and talked to a supervisor and asked for at least a refund. She agreed and said they would investigate this incident fully. I would like to know what they will actually do in this incident. It makes me never want to buy anything in a can again. I did not suffer any physical damages. Mentally - yes. There could have been anything in the soup. I just do not want to let it happen again, and I would like this matter investigated to the fullest.

Every morning I eat Honey Nut Cheerios without milk alongside an English muffin. Last week, I picked up one of the (what I thought) Cheerios and when I bit into it, it was hard and had a foul taste. I pulled it out of my mouth. The exterior color looked just like a honey nut cheerio but the shape was an odd form not an "O". I put it aside along with the rest of the cheerios from the box and an unopened second bag (as the cheerios came from a 2 bag box.) I do not know what it is I bit into or how to find out what it was. I felt slightly ill, maybe just due to the foul taste and/or not knowing what I bit into.

Last Friday, my sister and I planned to take our kids to a movie. We were at the grocery store and had seen that there were some free kids movie passes on some cereal boxes of French toast and we found a box with $4 off an adult pass. So, we bought 5 boxes even though the kids aren't fussy of the cereal (which our neighbor loves). We like it too. We love most of the General Mills products but when we got to the theater on Friday, all the coupons were expired. If we had known this, we wouldn't have bought so much cereal, but we did because we wanted the free movie passes. There were 4 children and a $4 off an adult pass. We obviously had to pay to go into the theater after promising them, and we spent a lot of money on cereal and on tickets. If you have promotions on the shelf, people are obviously going to buy them. If they are expired, you should make sure the items are off the shelf. We bought these at the Dominion on Topsail Rd. in St. John's, Newfoundland and there are still some boxes there. I don't know what you can do to remedy the situation, but I do feel that you are responsible for taking expired promotions off the shelf. Thank you.

I found a rusty tack while eating a bowl of Nestle Nesquick cereal. When I informed the company, I was contacted by Kristine **, who asked if I still had the tack. I told her that I had the tack, but I was not going to just hand it over so it could disappear, but I would be more than willing to send pictures. She asked if I could do that right away. I emailed her three pictures at different angles to that the tack was completely visible and then waited for a reply. Approximately one week later, when I had not heard from her on the matter, I emailed her again with a request that she reply promptly. I have not heard from her yet. This was about two weeks ago.

I then went to the Nestle site and filed in a complaint about the situation asking again that I receive a prompt reply, which again was ignored. I am hoping that something could be done about this. My main concern is the fact that it could have just as easily been my two or four year old children that could have ingested the tack and would have caused undue pain and possibly illness as a result.

I found an unknown object in the box of cereal that I ate this morning. It was black, about 1 inch in length and definitely inedible. I have saved the object and the contents of the box. I have e-mailed General Mills and have not received a response from them yet. I would like to know what to do at this point and what advice you can offer. Thank you.

General Mills Company Profile