1.30/5
Based on 33 reviews that contain star ratings

43 General Mills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Triple Berry??? You mean (No Berry!). Bought 5 family size boxes. My most favorite cereal. My kids call it mommy cereal. The last 5 family size boxes had crumbs of fruit. Each box $7. Expensive oatmeal flakes. Not my fav. cereal anymore! Especially when you need to buy berries for it???

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

My girls opened a new box of General Mills Lucky charms cereal. They sat down to enjoy their cereal, when my youngest daughter said, "Mom there's a hair in my cereal!! Yuck!" She grabbed it and showed it to me. I took a picture. Plan to call the company. This happened 8-11-18???

Get expert buying tips about Food Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We've used "Delights, Super Moist Cake Mix" now for many years, and have high regards for this product. Recently, the purchase package size was reduced in content from 18.5 oz. down to 15.25 oz. The packaging was the same size, so we believed that we had the correct amount for our cake, as we had made this recipe many times before.

Before baking, we noticed that the mix in our bowl appeared somewhat less than we had before, so we examined the box to find that the contents were 17.6% less. We had to make another trip to the store as we had no advance notice that the contents in the package had been reduced... and that our cake would have failed to come out correctly and would have been bad as a result. It seems irresponsible and devious to change product pricing in this manner... I had not expected General Mills would resort to this type of fraud to change its pricing for a superior product like its Betty Crocker Cake Mixes... I'm disappointed. And had expected better.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Trisodium Phosphate is an ingredient in Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. This is a POISON!! It should NEVER be an ingredient in food. I can't believe the FDA allows this!!! I saw another complaint about this also. I can't believe there not more complaints. My aunt innocently gave one of these cereals to my daughter... THESE NEED TO BE TAKEN OUT OF STORES OR CHANGE THE INGREDIENTS!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

About a week ago, I was eating cereal and got stabbed in my mouth by something sharp. I pulled it out with my tongue and got stabbed there, too. It was a small, sharp piece of wood. I kept the wounds clean with hot salt water, when suddenly I had extreme pain when I brushed my teeth. I looked in my mouth, and it appeared infected so ended up at the ER. The gum has an abscess and the tongue is also infected. General Mills response was that the package must have been damaged, but it definitely wasn't. I check very carefully in the store and then again when I get home, in case it gets damaged on the drive home. Absolutely terrible customer service and unbearable mouth pain. I'll never purchase another item of theirs again unless I hear that they've cleaned up their act.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Mills?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I recently bought some Chex Cereal, and I opened it the same day I bought it. When I poured the cereal in the bowl there were several flour bugs in it. I am very displeased with this product and my experience with your cereal.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I'm assuming for cost cutting reasons they are now putting by my estimate nearly 40-50% pretzels in their Chex Mix which does not make it "Chex Mix" just pretzels mixed with some Chex. Have great teeth and gums and could normally consume a bag of Chex Mix if left unattended but the introduction of so many hard pretzels I will now quit buying it due to gum rash and irritation.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Was eating a bowl of Lucky Charms and got an incredible pain in my mouth and stopped eating and had my husband look and my mouth was really red! Now the Redding is gone and I have a blister that is incredibly painful! Googled what would cause it said a burn! And now can't eat anything but ice cream and pudding and jello. Due to it being on the roof of mouth. Going to urgent care tomorrow morning for the pain and to get treated!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I poured a bowl of Coco Puffs for breakfast and a small snake came out of the box. I took a picture and called General Mills but they said they would send me coupons for more cereal. I will never eat this cereal or any of their cereal again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Whole insects infected in cereal packaged by General's. Repulsed and offended to no end by this. I'm asking for compensation for General Mills Offense. Fourteen Thousand dollars may recover Some of my medical bills and help quiet my anger.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I bought a Nature Valley box containing 32 chewy granola bars from Real Canadian Superstore about 3 weeks ago. Today when I chewed on one bar I bit something really hard which hurt my back teeth. So I spat everything in my washroom sink only to find a tiny black rock. I don't know how that managed to get inside the bar but I'm utterly disgusted. This is what happens when you have a lack of quality control standards in your manufacturing plants. What would have happened to my health had I swallowed this.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Our family loves Fiber One cereal with almonds. I usually buy several boxes at a time. Since we do not eat cold cereal much in the winter, we just recently finished the last of it. Now I have searched all our local stores and cannot find it. There is only two kinds anywhere we go. I had to buy something else at Trader Joe's but it is lacking as much fiber.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I purchased Chex Turtle mix recently while traveling. I don't eat pretzels, and the picture on the front showed only one pretzel, so I bought them. My picture shows how many there actually were. I was very disappointed and frustrated that the pretzels were obviously the main ingredient inside. As a result, there were hardly any of the caramel corn, cocoa covered Chex, caramel coated Chex, M&Ms, and peanuts that were shown as the main ingredients on the front.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I usually enjoy the Chex Mix Muddy Buddies but I did not however enjoy finding a lump mass of Muddy Buddies about the size of a golf ball. How did this get past inspection? I don't think I will be spending $3.19 plus tax on these snacks again.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I was deathly sick after eating just three of these chips (Tortilla chips)! My mouth started to swell as well as my throat and my stomach burned like it was on fire! I had diarrhea, vomiting, pains in my side and tightness in my chest. Apparently High Oleic Sunflower Oil can cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to ragweed! Buyer beware, I am still sick three days later. If you have ANY allergies, Stay away from these chips! I purchased these at Costco, so now I am throwing away a big bag of chips! Stay away, these things are evil!

Original review: May 25, 2017

General Mills cereal contains TRISODIUM PHOSPHATE which is a strong chemical found in cleaning solutions sold in powder form. Dangerous if swallowed so why is this in my kid’s cereal? And why is this FDA approved? No wonder why people are always sick. I don't understand the need for this chemical to be in any kind of food and why the FDA allows it. I think they should both be sued for the distribution of poison to people.

Original review: May 7, 2017

Gross Cheerios: The picture in the box is not what I received. Some were... Well I don't know what. You judge the picture. Turned my stomach for sure. I threw them up which is probably for the best.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Hi there! I am being helpful, not critical. I bought the White chip macadamia nut recently at a local Bi-Lo. I followed directions mixing and baking it. When I tasted my cookie, ewwwh! I had to read the bag to see if there was any sugar at all in the mix. It was too salty, a weird flavor (looking at bag, I guess it was the palm oil). I couldn't taste the nuts (were they real macadamia nuts?). I was baking them for a card party, so I thought I'd try a second cookie. Tasted the same, so I had to throw the batch away. Maybe it was a fluke, but if all of the mixes tasted like mine, I doubt if anyone would enjoy this mix. I have enjoyed your other cookie mixes, though. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I tried one Fiber One Brownie and had intestinal distress for 4 days. I see that Chicory Root Extract which is just a different name for INULIN is the third ingredient. Some people have a real low tolerance for it. And if you're using it for all of their fiber claim of 5g, that would be a ton of inulin!! 3g is what the suppliers generally recommend for the general population as a max dose for tolerance. I feel this product claims to offer a low cal snack with high fiber but the pain and intestinal issues I endured were unbearable. I will never purchase Fiber One products again. I am sure there are many others experiencing the same issues. You need to consider a better fiber solution!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

It was dark in my room while eating General Mills' "Cinnamon Toast Crunch" because I was getting ready for work in the early morning. I heard clattering in my bowl, just thinking it was my cereal. That was, until I found a 4 inch rusty nail on my spoon, in which I nearly swallowed and it certainly could have killed me. So there I was, gagging (and I threw up), because I realized that this rusty nail was in my cereal milk for a good 12 minutes, soaking in the bowl, and I had almost finished the entire bowl.

I am definitely never buying any General Mills products for the rest of my lifetime (and that's not an exaggeration). I'm even more cautious now that I've read most of the complaints on this website. I then posted a complaint to the Cinnamon Toast Crunch page on FaceBook, and they told me to file a complaint and send the nail. Of course my stupid self did. I contacted them later on to see if any action had been taken, and they told me to send them proof, and that they were never sent a nail! Really, General Mills? How are you not shut down yet?! I'm glad it was me and not some other child, who would've swallowed it and died because of you!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Excited that French Toast Crunch was back on the shelf, I bought a box. I was eating a big bowl of my cereal when I notice black on the French Toast... I took those cereal pieces out and to my surprise it was mice droppings that were stuck to the cereal... Whatever syrup they use to coat the cereal, it was all coated together. I am very disgusted that these things go unnoticed and that this even happens at all. I USED to love Gen Mills cereal. Never Again. I will be seeing a doctor.

Original review: April 16, 2016

I just attempted to eat a can of "Traditional" Italian style wedding soup. After heating and beginning to eat I bit down and felt something hard but had already begun to swallow. A very sharp triangular piece of wood with sharp spines caught in my throat. One side had a blue covering. It appears to be something like a corner piece of part of the manufacturing process. I will call the comment phone # on can.

Original review: March 30, 2016

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the best thing since slice bread. Believe me, I eat sliced bread every day! But I haven't had anything quite like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. General Mills has just earned brownie points.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Most disgusting this ever. This wasn't an issue with the supermarket since the maggots were in the sealed area with the cereal. Will never touch Cheerios as long as I live.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

Found a 3" piece of wood in Chex Mix - I called the toll free number and they offered to send certificates to use for their other products. They were not interested in seeing this piece of wood or concerned about what might have splintered off and been ingested, or the paint on one side of the wood and it's consequences of ingesting. They offered that they don't usually make call backs. They took some basic info found on the bag but have no interest in seeing what was in the bag. I was so disappointed in this company.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

I went into Publix to buy your "gluten free" Cheerios and when reading the ingredients, it had wheat, which contains gluten. So, your Cheerios are not gluten free. This is very disappointing as my daughter loves your Cheerios, but she is on a gluten free diet to help prevent seizures, and can not have your cereal.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

I bought a box of General Mills Dark Chocolate Cheerios at the 99 Cent Store. The better-if-used-by date was January 2015. We tasted them yesterday morning and they were stale. I sent them an email complaining about them being stale. I never received a reply from them.

Original review: July 21, 2014

Just a wk. ago I was eating a granola bar. My grandsons 5 & 7 also had ask for one. As I was eating mine, I began to bite down on something hard which I thought was a peanut but turn out to be a rock which broke off a piece of my back tooth. The 7yr. old had pretty much finished his bar & the 5 yr. old had not open his & was upset when I took it away from him. I sent an email to the complaint department followed by calling and speaking to a rep that took my complaint & said someone would be contacting me in a few days & it would be OK for me to eat the rest of the 9 bars. (Can you believe that?) Been a wk. now & no contact. I went to the dentist & had my tooth filled & repaired. Will be recontacting to see what's the next step.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2013

I usually love eating Natures Valley Granola Bar until today when I found a live maggot and two more dead maggots. The bar usually come in two bars wrapped package. I ate one bar completely and went to eat the 2nd one and that's when I saw the maggot crawling in and out of the bar. Usually I don't look at the bar when I eat them somehow I looked n saw it. "How many of those maggots did I eat over the past few days?! Totally disgusted at this point. I contacted General Mills and report what happen. She collect some info from me and offer a replacement for the bars... I declined and said, “After today I won't be eating those again." She said I can use the certificate to get any General Mills product. I did recorded the incident on video and offer to email it to them but she didn't need it. Never eating any granola or anything like that again!

Original review: April 19, 2013

While eating a bowl of Total Raisin Bran, I bit down on a very hard object about the size of a large jelly bean with the consistency and smell of the material roads are made of (blacktop)! I took a knife to try to cut it in half and it broke into many pieces. It was definitely not an edible material and smelled and looked like macadam.

General Mills Company Information