Cutco and Vector Marketing

Vector Marketing

3.9/5 (221 ratings)

About Vector Marketing

Cutco and Vector Marketing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cutco and Vector Marketing?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vector Marketing?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I started last week and ended this week. So I got a text from a random number saying a company I applied for wants an interview with you, call #. So being desperate and in need of a job, I called setting up an interview. Pretty much what everyone else said about how they hire everyone. But what I'm pissed about is they ask you to download this app and it asks for access to your contacts. I said I didn't want them to have access to my phone like that. But of course had to. They called everyone and are still calling and harassing everyone in my phone. My first team meeting was just pathetic, all we do is "phone jam".

I didn't have anymore numbers and the manager came up and said "I see you're not putting any effort in" and I'm like well i asked you what do I do when I don't have anyone to call and no one would refer me. All he did was kept saying look at your list of people. I'm like whatever, done, good bye and left. They don't have the proper paper work, don't ask for your previous employment or any of that, and they don't pay you of your quit before a pay period.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

They called me asking me to come up there for an interview so I asked the pay of the job and they said I would be making $16 an hour so I went up there and may I mind you, I live about 2 hours away. I get to my interview and they decide to tell me it's $16 per appointment you make with a customer and your pay is based off commission. This place is a total joke. They gave me the job but I didn't see the point in returning there the next 3 days for non-paid training. It cost way more in gas to get up there and back home than that $16. I highly do not recommend this place for a job.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

When I was first approached by Vector Marketing it seemed like a pretty good opportunity, as I went on and went for the interview it was me and another girl in the same room by the "assistant manager" who looked about 12 years old. He then went on asked questions and we both had to answer them back and forth. First impression: very unprofessional. Finally about 10 minutes later, we were called back one by one and EVERY SINGLE one of us got the job, I could tell he was nervous telling us because we all got the job and he wanted to make it seem like only a few of us got it. We then went back the following weekend for what I would like to call, "** training". We were taught a bunch of stuff about selling knives and our manager, I forget his name was a con-artist. He led us to believe it wasn't a door to door operation. It was JUST THAT!!! He would make us go through our phone and think of everyone we knew to try to get them to work for them. SUCH A SCAM!! DO NOT WORK FOR THEM... I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THIS **.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

It was shown as "Vector Marketing," and I called to ask what kind of a position it would be and they said, "we'll tell you more at the First, I need your information." She sounded irritated. It seemed unprofessional, but I attended the interview anyway because I was a starving college graduate who really needed a job. I went to the interview and learned about their pyramid scheme of marketing, where they encourage you to refer your friends to be employees. They wanted as many employees as they could get. When I returned home, I got a call saying that I had been hired within two hours. They said it was an obvious choice to pick me for the job, in a very monotone voice.

I told my friends about it and two of them said, "don't do it." One had been to the interview and the orientation as a prospective employee. They tell you at the orientation that YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY the cutlery, and then you'll be attempting to resell it to Costco's customers. My other friend confirmed that this is indeed what happens, according to someone she knew.

This was in 2011. In their Emeryville, CA office, they looked like they had just moved in, but now they are gone. Apparently, they're still all over the country in 2014. I would advise any young person not to waste their time and money. After my experience, it seems they have a very lucrative scheme that rips off young people without doing anything illegal, though according to Wikipedia they have been brought to court a few times.

There seem to be a very vocal and aggressive 1% of them who do well in this company, and they are the hiring managers who work to hire more employees. On Yelp, or any website, you'll see glowing reviews of their cutlery quality and sometimes of their employee experience, but there are far, far more bad stories. The Yelp review I left was filtered into reviews that are "not recommended" on Yelp. However, there are a few that are on the Vector Marketing San Francisco office page that tell the same story. Like I mentioned, it doesn't matter whether you're hiring-material or not-- they will hire you because you will be a paying customer, as well as an "employee."

When I was at the interview, I noticed that the office was a mess, almost like they had just moved in. They also had an article framed on the wall that was about a college student who had done well at the company, published by the Wall Street Journal. Shame on them. 99% of the employees are low-income, uneducated youth with poor self-esteem, who will be swindled by this company and will probably blame themselves.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2014

I got a random call from a company called Vector.... I thought it was a staffing agency... The guy said it’s a customer service position, pays $15.00 an hour.... I thought it was like a call center type job.... So they scheduled me for an interview on a Sunday which was fishy and didn't make sense... I went anyway... They have 1 room office in Murfreesboro, TN. The guy who does the interviews looked like he was 15 years old in a suit... Anyways, the interview is ** and they want you to sell knives and call clients using your own cell phone. This is not a legitimate job or company.... it’s a total scam.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

I worked for Vector marketing approximately 7 months ago. It was a terrible experience. I was mislead that I would be getting paid $15/hr which is what the job posting stated. Once I learned that it was $15/appointment I felt deceived, yet I continued on with the job. The training was extremely long and I didn't even get paid for those long hours. Also at the training, the manager (Daniel) was extremely inappropriate and off topic. I felt I was wasting my time sitting there listening to content not related to the job. I only sold one set to a family member, I believe it was the carver set. The set is worth about $800, I only made $50 which is not EVEN the minimum commission (10%). VERY dissatisfied and a waste of my time. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2014

THEY told an acquaintance that she was too unkempt and fat to be working in sales. Isn't this illegal, as in discrimination?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

My daughter Celeste ** worked for Vector/Paul Richard ** in the mouth of July. After a week of working, she decided to quit because of Paul Richard ** behavior and how he conducts his business. My daughter was never given the proper paperwork to fill out. After my daughter’s persistence, texting and calling Paul Richard **, and several attempts to meet at his office... We would show up, doors were locked and Paul ** was nowhere to be found... I had to take it to the next level. I called the corporate office several times - seems we weren't getting any results after three months. After calling the corporate office that's When I talk to Paul on my daughter’s phone. He said "I have no idea who Celeste is". I told him that I was not playing games and all I wanted was for my daughter to get paid for the hrs she worked.

We live 15 minutes from his office. While we were driving he leaves my daughter a message telling her that he doesn't have time to wait on us and that we better get there within the next minutes or he's leaving, "he doesn't have all day". When we go into his office he asked me how I was doing? I told him that it didn't matter how I was doing. Then I said where is the paperwork? So my daughter can fill it out... Then, he asked for my daughter to step out of the office that he needed to speak to me. I said "there is no need for my daughter to step out of the office". And "there is nothing we needed to talk about". We were there for one thing and one thing only and that was to fill out the paperwork. Then he tells me that he hopes I condone myself as an adult. I told him that I am adult and he's a crook!!!!

I asked, how come it took him this long for us to get any results? I also asked him how come you haven't returned my calls? On his answering machine he goes by the name of Richard. All of this time I thought his name was Paul **. So I asked him do you go by Paul or do you go by Richard? Then he points at his nametag and asked me "can you read?" He also told me "you're being recorded". I said "that’s good because his company needed to know how he does business and how he's a crook". I asked if he understood what we were there for? Then he says "No I can't understand what you're saying because of your thick accent." I stepped out of the office and I called my husband since he couldn't understand what I was saying. My husband showed up - paperwork gets filled out. I told him very clearly that I would speak with somebody about what had just happened. He told me that there is no need for me to call anybody because he worked for himself.

Next day I called the Southwest region office and spoke to Richard. Richard conducted himself just like Paul **. He was very rude, wouldn't listen to anything I have to say. And said that he didn't understand what I was saying because I didn't make any sense. I asked to speak to his supervisor. He also said that there's nobody above him I could speak to. I had to call the corporate office again. I spoke to Sharon about what happened. While speaking with Sharon my daughter received text messages from Paul **. I took the time to call the corporate office, the Southwest region office because I felt that I was done wrong. I am a business owner and I would never have anybody like Paul ** and or Richard work for me... The images of the text messages are in this email. My name is Jocelyn **. If any questions **.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

I only worked at vector marketing for about 2 weeks before I realized just how bad this job is. If you can afford to pay for this job (the gas money you WILL use, and wear and tear on car) then after you sell about $20,000-$30,000 worth of their product, you will probably start making some money. In order to do that you'll have to sell all that to your friends and family though. Now if you have a lot of rich friends and family, this is the job for you; otherwise, you won't last very long. The base pay OR commission pay is just plain stupid.

It is meant to trick people into not reading the 'fine print' and realizing if you sell $600 of their product and make 4 demonstrations, the base pay will be $44 and the commission will be about $42 when starting off with the 10% (and thanks to the cpo which another comment has mentioned, if you haven't read it basically there is a retail value, what the person pays for the product, and the cpo, which is what the sales rep gets their commission from and is about $3-10 per an item. Making a set that's $600 be almost $200 less cpo), so for that week you will have made $44.

I felt I needed to add this because every chance I have to warn a fellow working man/woman like myself that doesn't want to PAY for a JOB, the reverse of the norm, the more chance I will save someone from going through the same crap as I did. Also....the district manager when I went to return my starter kit was EXTREMELY unprofessional. Resorted to name calling (ha) and vulgar comments about how I'm lazy, weak, and a 'wiener'.... I mean really.... when I did NOTHING to provoke it other than mention how I've lost money since I've started working for the company.

I assume he took it as an insult instead of the truth which it was and flipped out. When I tried to tell him how I will still promote Cutco products and will be back (which was a lie but if you can't beat them join them....) even after his very unprofessional behavior, he simply said "no you will not" and got up and left. If it had not been for this district manager I would have continued to support Cutco products just because they seemed like nice enough people trying to make a living, but after that little ordeal I can no longer do that without supporting the, what I would call, man child at the head of this office in Salem, Oregon.

I can no longer do it. I've done my best to make this little rant fair, and I hope someone will have the brains to avoid getting a job like this. My uncle with a MBA (masters in business administration) had warned me that when he went to the interview himself it seemed like a bad deal which is why he didn't take the job. Me, being younger or less experienced or both, was not so smart and so I find myself sitting here typing this. Please read this. Please listen. Please don't support these people by working your ** off for pennies to the dollar.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

1st of all, they lied about who gave them my name. Said it was from Kiana. I asked her. She never heard of the Vector. 2nd: they bring you into a back room; there's supposed to be people there (? ) There were only two of us (!). 3rdly, they don't pay for the fist 3 DAYS!! They give all kinds of demos: what the knives can cut...you have to have 30-50 PEOPLE to call! THAT'S why it's ALL COLLEGE STUDENTS!!! They have friends!! The guy kept saying "I don't need to hire anyone", "I really don't need sales people right now" (really? so what are we doing here?) blah, blah, blah...yada yada....then he says you have to come in on Mon and Sun! At 6PM!!! Wha-what??? You know, just so they can kick you around a little and make you sell MORE!!! (training) HE KEPT LEAVING THE ROOM. They watch you and what you say to others!! He rushed. Said he had a training class after that. Then makes you fill out a paper with questions on it (after you fill out an sort-of application). Whew! It culminates in him asking a few more questions and whether you interested or not. My Advice: GO ELSEWHERE AND FIND A JOB!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2014

Honestly I find it hard to believe the reviews that I have read on this site. Vector Marketing, in my opinion, is the best job that a college student can have. A lot of. This job has opened immense opportunities for me and within the first month of working here I received 4 paychecks for over $7,000, and I also have the opportunity to collect base pay, though I personally choose not to. I also did not have to pay anything for my sample kit but I believe that the conditions may be different depending on the office that you work for.

In my honest opinion, I strongly recommend trying the job out for yourself and seeing if this is the right thing for you. Too many times have I heard people call Vector Marketing a scam. It is not. Like I said, different offices are run by different people so naturally things may be different. I also think it would be beneficial for you to keep in mind that people who have bad experiences with the company are obviously more likely to leave reviews than people who have good or normal experiences. So once again, I highly recommend keeping an open mind on sites like these. These are all true stories but they tend to be biased. My advice is to just try it for yourself. You'll probably end up thanking yourself.

Original review: July 10, 2014

I have family and friends who are working or have worked for Cutco/Vector Marketing in the past. They immediately warn me, NEVER WORK FOR THEM. My best friend had received a job offer and gladly took it, being a 17 year old, still in high-school, in need of money. They willingly LIED about her age, just so she may work there. They did not alert her as to what her job was, until she accepted it and signed a contract. The job is going into people's houses, be it friends, family, or if the person is desperate, strangers. You are not paid a single cent until you sell. You're only paid based off how much you sell. Cutco's working ethic is below standard, and borderline illegal.

Original review: June 25, 2014

A signature set sold for $1919 does not get you the guaranteed minimum of 10% ($191.90) commission promised by the company. Instead the company came up with this CPO and Point values that are deducted from the original sale price leaving you with $170.40 of commission ....

Original review: Dec. 19, 2013

To be completely honest, anyone who is in the position where they're upset because they didn't receive a paycheck deserves it for being that stupid. I went to the interview. You walk in and the place is completely empty, with a couple random cheap tables set up here and there and trashy posters and what looked like prop medals are scattered across the walls. Already very weird. The "manager" is this mid-20s girl who was wearing some icky brown suit from the clearance rack at Ross and looked like she did her makeup on her way over in the car spoke to us for about three hours, showcasing her very uneducated and poor speech habits. She said that every appointment will be already set-up.

She told us how we would have to buy a kit for $150. She hired me and a bunch of other people on the spot and I immediately knew I wouldn't be returning. I feel bad for people that went back only to inevitably learn, as I did on the internet that evening that you would need to set-up your own appointments with people, most likely won't get paid at all and definitely won't get paid for the training. I have far too much dignity to haggle my personal friends and family into spending over $1,000 on a knife set. No thanks. Here's a very, very simple rule: never get involved/proceed with a company that one, doesn't pay you for training, and two, makes you purchase your own kit. That's absurd and no respectable company will do that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

I was never paid for the 3 days of training and my last paycheck was only $5.40, which is not even our base pay of $16 per appointment and I did 12 appointments for that check plus sold over $1000.00 worth of Cutco for them. I was also forced to go to a conference in Scottsdale AZ when I didn't have the $15 to attend it. I was registered to go before I even knew about it. I confronted my boss, Jared **, here is his cell **, and now he is avoiding me. His office is located on ** Tucson, AZ 85705-1584. I also told him my car tags were expired and was on a 30 day permit so I really needed the money and told him I didn't feel comfortable driving to appointments I had set up but he didn't seem to care. Instead he was off at a ball game enjoying all the money we made for him.

Original review: July 17, 2013

I went to work with Vector and Cutco. They're a SCAM. I worked with them for about a month and I quit a month later because I waited a month for my check to come in the mail and it never came. I called Vector and I told them. They asked if I had recently moved. I said, "Yes, LESS THAN A WEEK AGO." They said, "I will need you to come in and update your info." I asked if i could give them a direct deposit number. They said, "No, it has to come in the mail." Right then, it didn't sound right. They make it sound good but it all changes. I still have their kit and that's why they wanted me to come in but that's my pay check. Good luck Vector. I'm about to be suing. Hope this helps.

Original review: June 28, 2013

I found the job on Craigslist and I was leery at first, but called anyway. The next day, I had an interview in town at 6pm. I saw the demo (simple enough) and I watched a video about the product. I was hired on the spot. The next day was training day for three days. As a group, we were told these things and I even wrote them down. No cold calls; in fact, we were told that these people already wanted to buy CUTCO and that the appointments were made for you.

Fact: You had to call friends and family to set up demos. The demographics for sales were: Married, 30-60 and owned a home. We were told that our base pay is $265 per week (sweet). Fact: The base pay is $13.25 x qualified demos (8 demos per week). I was told that Online Demos counted towards a qualified demo. I did seven demos total (most of the people I know cannot afford 1049 on a new set of knives). Our loaner kits could be bought for 84 dollars.

I did my demos and then saw my pay check (I was only paid for four demos). My manager decided what qualified and what didn't. I told him numerous times that I had to change my demo tactics. In fact, I know one person that did a demo for a couple that wasn’t married and didn’t own a home and one person wasn’t employed. CUTCO is not BBB accredited whatsoever. I reported them to BBB and I explained to them that I only got paid for FOUR instead of SEVEN demos and currently awaiting my check.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2012

I have been working with Vector Marketing for two years. I do like my job, and I was pretty shocked to see such a misinforming article on your reputable site. I believe the article should be taken down, or at least removed because it is outdated. A few points:

1) The company no longer requires the fully refundable security deposit for the sample demonstration kit. In fact, we loan them out for free these days.
2) I've never heard claims of us being a Fortune 500 company.

3) The ad for the $3,500 set of Wusthof on sale for $2,000 is very real. It was in the Williams Sonoma catalog.

Here's the link: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news03/save.html. I understand that many people do not do well with Vector Marketing. Sales and providing a high level of customer service can be hard. However, I wouldn't call it a scam. It is kind of like the music industry. Many go into it, and many fail. Many find a little success, and a few who contribute great effort find great success. However, just because many musicians fail, it doesn't mean that it is a scam.

Please remove or edit this article - it is outdated and misinforming, and is costing several people an opportunity with Vector every day.

Original review: June 29, 2011

The company has completely misrepresented itself to the youth of our community. I believe they need to be reprimanded. My son was hired by Eric in Baton Rouge, LA, upon receiving a letter in the mail for an employment opportunity. My son made many orders from friends, relatives, and neighbors. However, he never received a paycheck, and the people haven't received the merchandise.

Original review: March 3, 2011

I'm filing a complaint about the post against Vector Marketing. They do not make you pay for anything unless you damage the sample pack they give you.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2010

I worked with Vector Marketing for about two months now and I still haven't seen a paycheck. The manager has refused to contact me. I have left him several messages but no response. I haven't been compensated for any time I went into the office nor the money spent for public transportation.

Original review: July 27, 2010

I worked for this Vetco Marketing Corporation aka Cutco Company beginning work July 10, 2010 for about two weeks. I realized they were a scam when I was hearing they had lawsuits against them from other students accusing them of not paying them. They had me pay for the products I was advertising, a total of $152.54. After about a week of working with them I decided I did not like the work I was partaking in. I continued employment waiting to receive my check in the mail of $64.62, to see if it really was a scam. I waited for about another week and texted my manager Tim ** to see when my check was suppose to be here.

He asked me "Did you get your first check in paper?" I replied, "I haven't gotten anything in paper." Tim **: "You saw your statement online right? When you went to VectorConnect." Jacob (Me): "What statement?" Tim **: "How did you know how much your check should be? By going online on VectorConnect?" Jacob (Me): "Ok ya... My commission check is $64.62." Tim **: "Yeah so that's already in the mail for you. I have no control of when it gets here. The postal device does and the rest will be deposited Monday." Jacob (Me): "You said Thursday...It's not here." Tim **: "I assumed Thursday but Flagstaff also does not have a Postal service on Saturday so maybe that's why it's one day behind. In Texas we get them Thursday. "Jacob (Me): "Assuming makes an ass out of you and me." Tim: und this time of the week. I'm in training so I can't be trying to answer all your small questions. Come to the team meeting and ask Brittany when she got her first check, Look Jacob it's in the mail. You saw it yourself inline "Paid via Company Check" and you can ask any rep when they get their check and they'll tell you are"

After that I quit the following Friday July 23, 2010. Now it is Tuesday July 27, 2010, my check is still nowhere to be seen. To be noted that I never filled out a W-4 form, meaning they are not paying their taxes, nor having those that they are receiving checks are not paying their taxes either.

Original review: April 5, 2006

i looked in the ad thinking that i would get paid $18 per hour. Technically the ad said "$18 base salary/appt." i was under the impression that i would be getting paid $18 per hour.I finally finished training which i did not get paid for and I had to paid $145.00 for a set of knives my mother didn't want to buy from me. after a few days, i had about 16 appointments but no one wanted to buy the knives. I called my manager to tell him that I faxing my presentation sheet and he asked me "how'd you do", when i told him that I didn't get any sales he told me wouldn't pay me until i came to the office for another meeting.He said exactly that "I never heard of someone not getting a sale" and said flat out he wouldn't pay me for the week.the office for me is 2 hrs away and being a high school student without a car it was almost impossible for me to get there. Now my manager had people calling all of my appointments which most of them where teachers didn't want telemarketers calling them so they gave me the school number and thier extension. extension

Original review: June 10, 2004

The company does not pay for training.

I was not told that I would have to put down a deposit to get to get the demonstrations. I read about the company and found that you must pay a deposit. You must report to a meeting every Friday night @ 9:00 p.m. No business I know has meetings that late.

Cutco and Vector Marketing Company Information