2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Primerica exclusively offers term life insurance through two policies: TermNow and Custom Advantage. Each policy includes term lengths from 10 to 35 years. Primerica provides up to $5 million in coverage and allows coverage until age 95. Primerica also offers coverage without a medical exam, depending on the plan.

BOTTOM LINE

Primerica offers term life insurance policies with term lengths up to 35 years and coverage up to $5 million. Policies are available for applicants up to 70 years old. No online pricing makes it difficult to explore policy options.

PROS

• Two policy options
  • Riders included
  • Insures seniors
  • Payouts in two weeks

CONS

• No online quotes
  • Only offers term life

Top Primerica Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

I had a great experience with Primerica... I have checked around with a few other companies and this was the first one to explain to me the difference between different types of life insurance and educate me, friendly not pushy, honest and willing to get me the best product for my family.

I have loved my experience with Primerica for many reasons. I got my life insurance at the age of 47 and it was incredibly affordable and easy. 6 months later I increased my coverage with complete ease. The Customer service is impeccable and...the integrity of this company is like no other!

What is Primerica?

Primerica is a life insurance company that offers two types of term life policies for customers between 18 and 70 years old.

• TermNow, with up to $300,000 in coverage
    • Custom Advantage, with up $5 million in coverage

Customers who buy term life insurance from Primerica work with a local Primerica life insurance agent for a personalized customer experience. Primerica life insurance policies cover people until age 95, and almost all payouts take only two weeks.

The company provides agent information by state on its website. A Primerica insurance agent helps customers through the application process. To get a Primerica life insurance quote, you need to provide your age, address and gender and answer a few questions about your general health. Depending on the policy, customers may need to provide their Social Security number and driver’s license. Call or email a local Primerica life insurance agent in your city or state to fill out an application and get a quote.

Primerica life insurance policies

Primerica exclusively offers term life insurance and simplifies the process by providing only two plans: TermNow and Custom Advantage. Both options come with term length options of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 years. However, only people who are younger than 45 are eligible for a 35-year term life insurance policy. For individuals 55 and older, 25 years is the maximum term length.

Primerica’s term life insurance policies have coverage up to $300,000 for TermNow plans and up to $5 million for Custom Advantage plans. All Primerica policies provide life insurance coverage until a maximum age of 95.

Primerica term life insurance policies include these riders to give policyholders more coverage:

• Increasing benefit rider: Increases the policy’s death benefit value by up to 10% for 10 years
    • Terminal illness benefit: Gives policyholders diagnosed with a terminal illness access to their death benefit to pay for medical expenses and care while they’re still alive
    • Waiver of premium: Waives the monthly premium if a policyholder becomes critically ill or disabled

How much does Primerica cost?

Primerica life insurance typically costs $20 to $50 per month for healthy individuals. Cost varies depending on the policy and the applicant's age and health profile.

People who smoke, have a poor health history and are older have higher life insurance costs. A Primerica life insurance policy with a lower coverage amount costs less.

Unlike some competitors, Primerica doesn’t offer a quote tool, so interested customers must call or email a local Primerica agent for a free quote.

Primerica FAQ

How long does it take Primerica to pay out a life insurance policy?
    Primerica pays out most life insurance policies within two weeks of a claim submission. A small percentage of policies take longer than two weeks to pay out.
    Does Primerica require a medical exam for life insurance?
    It depends on the policy:
    • To get a Custom Advantage policy, a Primerica life insurance medical exam is required.
    • TermNow policies do not require a medical exam, but Primerica does a background check to determine eligibility.
    Can I buy Primerica whole life insurance?
    No, Primerica doesn’t offer whole life insurance policies. The maximum term available for Primerica term life insurance is 35 years for people under 45. For people over 55, the maximum term is 25 years.
    Is Primerica life insurance legit?
    Yes, Primerica is legitimate. It’s a publicly traded insurance and financial services company. Primerica has offices in every state across the U.S. except North Dakota and has more than 130,000 independent life insurance representatives.

Is Primerica legit?

Primerica is a stable company that’s been in the life insurance industry for more than 40 years. A Primerica insurance policy is best for those who have temporary expenses — such as care for children or mortgage payments — and are specifically looking for term life insurance. Primerica is also an excellent option for seniors who want coverage, since coverage is active until age 95. Primerica pricing and quotes for term life insurance are not available online, but working with an agent one-on-one creates a personalized experience.

Primerica Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

We've had our policy for over 15 years. Being prepared in case anything happens to hubby and I for the benefit of our kids is extremely important. The benefits and coverage offered far exceeds our expectations and knowing our kids qualify for a policy to cover their needs and the needs of their family is just as important. The savings and benefits are passed along to them as well.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My wife and I met with the agent for the first time in our home. This was pretty convenient considering we didn't have to drive anywhere. With three small kids it's difficult to round them up for an insurance presentation. The agent educated us on the importance of insurance as well as investing for our future. We ended up taking two policies on my wife and myself, and then later we opened an investment account. I like that they were a public company and they had a track record of paying their policies within 14 days.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I usually do not like to write anything online and put myself out there but I've read a few reviews about the experience that others had with this company. First I would like to say that I had an awesome experience with the company. I was able to get my policy and get the coverage I needed and then even increase it as needed. I just called up my representative and they helped me right away.

There is one thing that I really would like to point out. Some people say they think this a pyramid scheme. Well if people really think about it a regular 9-5 job working for a company can also be considered a pyramid. Every job has its entry level jobs then you work yourself up the ladder by experience and longevity. Then you get a raise or promotion and you move yourself up in the company.

Same as Primerica. You start off at the bottom then as you sell and recruit you move up the ladder. No difference in the area. The only thing that is different is you decide your own Destiny. The more you want to make then the more you have to work. But you get to make that choice. You don't have someone breathing down your neck telling you that you're late or you didn't do something right. You are your own Boss! People who feel that this is not legit or it's a scam are the same people who are not cut out for this type of work, also they may not have people skills and that's ok cause everybody is different and has different skills and excel in different areas.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Financial services. Primerica is multi level marketing but so are most businesses. RVPs have to put in a lot of hard work to get to their position, selling to their own Clients, recruiting, training educating. This is one of the best companies when it comes to training and being hands on, the biggest Employer of Women empowering them to be self sufficient. You are in charge of your own destiny within the business. Encouraged by a team, paid for education that would otherwise cost you thousands of dollars. It is a chance to run your own business and what you put in is what you get out, not for everyone especially those who do not like hard work, but those who do make good money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This company has become the most valuable opportunity I ever had. Since my journey in this company I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about finances and my life has change a lot since then. I am now able to take better desitions, save for my future and become a valuable person for society. Primerica paid for my licenses and made me the professional I now am. Thanks Primerica for such unbelievable opportunity.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I've had a policy with Primerica for at least 15 years. The rate stays the same every month and is drafted from my checking account every month. Thinking about increasing my policy. Would definitely recommend to anyone...

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have a life insurance policy with Primerica, my agent's name is Nathaniel ** and his RVP/Father's name is Don **. For the last two years I've been trying to make policy changes including the fact I got divorced and want to change my beneficiaries. They will not return my calls or text. I filled out a beneficiary change form in March and turned it into them. The beneficiary changes were never made and that was over four months ago. When I contacted Primerica home office is when I was informed policy changes were not made. For some reason Don ** is named as one of my beneficiaries. I don't know how this happened or why the RVP would receive any death benefit if I died. Can somebody help me understand why the agents would receive a portion of the death benefit? I think this is illegal and action should be taken!

Original review: June 20, 2020

Had friends start selling for them. Wife and I agreed to listen to their pitch as they were training. They showed up with their "mentor". We sat down and after a few minutes of small talk, the pitch started. They started asking about life insurance and finances. Asked if I would be interested in seeing how they could help us save for retirement. I told them sure and then they started asking for money. No information given as to products at this point. I told them that my wife and I don't make financial decisions on the fly and that we would discuss it privately.

When I refused to budge on that matter, their mentor just stood up and said that we had nothing more to discuss. Meeting lasted 10 mins tops. If your product is that great, why do I have to pay to get information? I purchase based on the merit of the product. Without information on the product, I won't give a single penny. Still friends with the couple but the only way I see them make money is when they recruit a bunch of people and steal commissions from them.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I bought a policy with this company and a month later they declined my application after I had already given them 750.00. They returned my money in December. It’s March and I still can’t get my money. The bank advised they have a red flag on the check and they can’t get anyone to verify that the check is legitimate and that it’s truly made to me. I’ve contacted the agent and of course no response. I don’t care how high I have to go, but I’m getting my money back or they will have a ** storm of negative publicity on social media and a bad review to the BBB.

Primerica response

Primerica Life is dedicated to providing prompt, courteous customer service. To protect her privacy, we have reached out to Norma for additional information to address her concerns. Regena Wood, Primerica Life

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

After going to my first Primerica meeting, I could immediately identify that it was a Multi-Level Marketing company, or put into Layman's terms, a Pyramid Scheme. The people in your "upline" make all of their passive, bragged-about income off of YOU and YOUR sales and recruits. Primerica RVPs like to brag about how much money they make without doing anything. That's because they have built a hierarchy that recruits literally EVERYONE and promises them that they can quit their job and join Primerica for "unlimited income potential." You only make money if you recruit people, regardless if they are salespeople or not. The only way to make a steady income is to always be recruiting people, selling them a policy to make your commission, and then to heck with them. If they recruit and make you more money, then great, if not, you'll just go find another vulnerable soul to con into your scam.

For those in Primerica now, I am not some "unsuccessful, unmotivated" agent who just "didn't try," I actually made a couple thousand dollars working with Primerica, but at what cost. I ruined relationships and friendships I had for YEARS by trying to recruit people into a Pyramid Scheme. EVEN PRIMERICA STATES ON THEIR WEBSITE "From January 1 through December 31, 2018, Primerica paid cash flow to its North American sales force at an average of $6,069, which includes commissions paid on all lines of business to licensed representatives." So to all those "new recruits" reading this, the RVP in that opp meeting that talks about how many millions he's made from Primerica, be careful what you believe.

I could go on and on forever about how poor of an experience I had with Primerica, but if this review communicates any message at all, let it be STAY AWAY FROM PRIMERICA. Are there people who have done well in the company? Yes. They either got lucky or are great con artists. It's a waste of time, money, and relationships. For a company that talks about independence, freedom, and a happy life with lots of money, they sure know how to take that away from people.

Primerica Company Information