Get Started

2. Education
  3. Online High Schools

4.6/5 (50 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Top Whitmore School Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It's a very good and convenient school. Especially for homeschoolers. The teachers here are nice and it's very interesting to study here. I think it's an wonderful online high sch...

Verified

I dropped from high school to pursue my dancing career, and I'm glad I found this school that allowed me to complete high school and get a diploma. After I searched online for man...

What is Whitmore?

Whitmore School is an accredited online high school that offers self-paced learning options, including programs for adults. Its mastery-based curriculum lets you move from subject to subject at your own pace — for instance, if English comes easier to you than math, you can breeze through literature and have more time for math. Whitmore has no due dates and a 17:1 student-to-teacher ratio, and its diplomas are recognized by higher learning institutions.

How does Whitmore work?

All Whitmore programs offer one-to-one time with instructors, self-paced work and transferable credits. You can choose from either a General Studies or College Prep track, depending on your post-graduation goals. Whitmore has open enrollment, so you can enroll any time of the year. Whitmore offers four diploma tracks:

• Diploma
  • Diploma PLUS
  • Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring
  • Adult Education Diploma

In the Diploma option, parents are responsible for following their students’ schedule and progress. Diploma PLUS includes additional support from a counselor, a personalized graduation plan, detailed progress reports and extra credits, so it might be a better option for parents who want a bit more support. The Diploma PLUS with Math Tutoring offers additional guidance support and 24/7 on-demand one-to-one math tutoring. The Adult Education Diploma is for adult students who are returning to school to earn a high school diploma.

Whitmore School cost

Whitmore prices start at $1,599 yearly for the Diploma and Adult Education Diploma programs. Diploma PLUS is $1,999 annually or $2,399 per year with tutoring. Those who pay in full, as well as military families, first responders and siblings, can get discounts. You can also enroll in a payment plan, which splits the total cost over six months. If you’d prefer to take individual classes, the cost is $425 per credit.

Whitmore School FAQ

What school levels does Whitmore offer online?
Whitmore offers grades nine to 12 and adult learning.
Is Whitmore School accredited?
Yes. Whitmore is nationally accredited by Cognia (AdvancED). Whitmore also holds regional accreditation from the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA-CASI).
Will I receive a diploma for graduating from Whitmore’s online high school?
Yes, you will have your diploma and official transcript mailed to you upon graduation.
How long is the Whitmore enrollment process?
Not long at all. You can easily complete registration and pick your start date online.

Is Whitmore online high school worth it?

Whitmore provides a flexible and accredited learning experience for students and their families. With four diploma options, Whitmore makes finding the right academic fit fairly straightforward. While some might prefer a cheaper or more structured program, Whitmore is a great option for those who want self-paced and accredited learning. Also, when compared with similar programs, Whitmore’s costs seem fairly reasonable, especially with its many discounts.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We enjoyed Whitmore School very much. They were flexible and did everything we needed them to do for Sully, our son. We didn't need a lot of counseling so much but the communication was very good. The teachers were reaching out to us more than the other way around. For an online experience, it was pretty personal. It was hardly a sterile environment. We started with another online school that was not accredited and they would just give the classes and you just go at it at your own pace. At Whitmore, you have a teacher that tells you to take a closer look and ask questions. You had to master the course material before you were allowed to go on. It felt like a real school.

The bulk of the communication was telling us our son's not advancing as quickly as he should be and those are those small kicks in the ** where for the parents and for him were really helpful. Part of Sully's issue was he always had trouble sitting for hours on end. He was more of a hands-on guy and I hear that all the time. Part of it is laziness and part of it is immaturity but sometimes, you need a school that's custom for your kid.

We had the whole nine yards to help us figure out this path, and Whitmore was the official school component of it. When you're trying to raise your kids and they're malfunctioning and you need a flexible tool, that public school system ain't that. He would have dropped out of high school. Now, he got in the saddle and got out of that high school. The classes he was in the middle of were dropped and we talked to the counselors at Whitmore. We told them what we've done and what we get credit for. They told us what we needed to do to finish to meet the legal requirement for North Carolina.

Whitmore was pretty easy and manageable. There was good communication and he studied at his pace. He worked two jobs in high school that are in line with his goals, which brought him a tremendous amount of self-esteem. He is a happy, well-adjusted kind of guy. He's in the right place. He has graduated and is enrolled at a community college pursuing an electrician certificate and an associate's degree program. He's on his way to doing exactly what he wanted to do and Whitmore was a great partner. I can't imagine anything being better, easier and more accommodating. Whitmore was perfect and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sean!! Your Son has done very well. I know he had some struggles, but he graduated with straight A's, mastered all the material, worked two jobs and accomplished his goals. Sounds like he has grown to be a mature adult, hope he is proud of his success!!

Steve Ray

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I like the way the school interacts with my daughter, rather than just she does an assignment, they grade it like a normal traditional school. The guidance counselor has reached out to us a couple times to say like, “She's not quite on track,” or, “She's doing great,” or just giving us some tips ahead of time rather than there being a problem, and then calling us. They’ve been proactive on that part.

I've noticed that my daughter will have to go back and forth with the teacher to really explain her thought process. The teacher or the guidance counselors make sure that they understand the curriculum or understand the content before they move on to the next one. It puts more ownership on my daughter to actually reach out when she feels she's not understanding. I've seen a lot of growth in communication, more similar to what she would have to experience through a college setting rather than a traditional high school.

My son has just finished middle school. He'll be a freshman next year and we're planning on enrolling him as well. It's been a really positive experience for us. In the switch from more of a traditional school setting, actually going to a physical building versus a virtual high school, the biggest thing to consider is, do you want a homeschool program? How involved or how committed can you be as a parent to teaching your child through a homeschool program versus an online curriculum, where they have guidance counselors and professors?

Whitmore checks the box for us, especially for the kids getting into high school. It's nice having people there that can really hone in on a particular subject and help us help our kids. So, just to know going into that what your plans are also as a parent, and understanding how much you'll be able to help your child through the curriculum. I would definitely recommend the school. But I also recognize that it's not going to be for everyone. There could be some kids out there that just aren't as self-driven or don't learn well virtually.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Harold. Your daughter is doing very well and her grades show it. You are right when you say this school may not be for everyone because it requires self motivation. However, when a student puts the effort and work into it, they will be much more prepared for challenges in the future.
    Please tell her to keep up the solid work!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 11, 2021

When I first read about the enrollment process, it seemed a little confusing because I was out of the loop. But when I called Whitmore, they were the most helpful. They were wonderful and they got it done. It was done so quick and easy. I was talking to a real person who sounded like they had nothing else to do but answer all my questions. There was no background noise. It was wonderful. They made me feel like I was not a bother.

My son is very smart, but it's very hard to capture his attention. Even at this moment, he's still trying to finish up the year, but Whitmore gives students a whole 12 months to finish, and that's great for someone like him. The teachers never acted annoyed. They answered his questions and encouraged him to ask more. So he's gonna end up finishing with an A average, and it's not because they're giving it to him. They're making him earn it. He needs someone to be stern and patient, and that's exactly what they are. It makes me thankful for the way things played out. Whitmore is awesome. I can't say enough good things about it from the people we've talked to, to the teachers, and to the lessons.

I also had my daughter with Whitmore and she finished up very quickly and straight A's. She is a type A personality and she wants everything perfect. She was able to work and get that perfect grade she wanted with Whitmore. They let her do that. She didn't have to worry that if she messed up the first time and got a 90 or if they put it a nine, that she couldn't redo it. Because for her, a nine was not good enough. She wanted a 10.

Whitmore also has tutors. When my daughter worried so much about grades, she ended up doing her math a lot of times. We called Whitmore and paid an extra $500 for the tutor. With that payment, you can stay on the phone with them 24 hours a day. Through writing back and forth, they tutored her through geometry. There were days she would be on the phone with them five hours for one lesson. You don't get that in public school and $500 would not be near enough to pay for the hours that they spent with us. The tutors were brilliant students and very patient.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kristen. Both your students are doing very well. I appreciate you noticing our teachers are tough but patient. Our goal is for the students to Master the material and do it on their own pace. When this happens, they are able to retain it.
    Thank you again!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

My daughter came across Whitmore. She had some medical issues that made her have to withdraw from the brick and mortar school she was going to. We asked around and somebody suggested Connections Academy and we couldn't get in because it was the middle of the quarter. So we did another online school, Indiana Career Academy, and she passed everything. But she got pretty far behind. But that was when her health was at her worst. Then, after a while, she got better and tried a brick and mortar school. She knew she didn't want to go back to the Indiana Career Academy. She was doing online research on her own for a long time. There was another one we almost signed up for but then she ended up finding another site that really gave it bad reviews. She saw really good reviews for Whitmore.

When she signed up for it, it was nice. It was really easy to get ahold of somebody. But one thing that was a lot better with Whitmore than the last school is, with the last school, I was getting phone calls every single day. I was getting multiple emails. Part of that was because she was missing the online class because it was timed. One thing that's great about Whitmore is she can do it at her own pace. With her having chronic fatigue, she can't necessarily sign in for class at 8 a.m.

With math, she was going to get an A because she's going to learn the material because you resubmit until the material was correct. That was good. My daughter learned a lot in math. The only thing that has been a little bit hard was when she was doing assignment, and they would have a redo it, she couldn't figure out what she did wrong for a while. She wasn't able to get that explanation. But that might have been her being shy and not willing to ask. But with math, I do math for a living so a lot of times, I would just help her out. Whitmore has been really great. The level of communication is perfect. It's not taking me away from my full time job. She's able to do it on her own and she's very happy.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your review Jill! Your daughter is doing really well, I love seeing all A's!
    Working at your own pace is so important, it gives everyone the chance to really master the material. Please tell her to keep up the quality work.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I researched online for different programs to enroll my daughter in and Whitmore School was one that stuck out to me as a good program. This is her second year in it and from what I have seen as well as my experience in talking to people on the phone, there's a night and day difference between them and another online program that we were in before that's called Penn Foster.

I have signed up my daughter for the program where I get a weekly update of assignments that she turned in. I also get notified when she turns in an assignment and I can click on it and see the work that she's done. For her, it works fine because I don't really have to follow along behind her and make sure that she is putting in the effort to get an assignment turned in. If it was one of my different kids, I'd have signed up for the option where you meet with a counselor once a week and have more one-on-one.

She loves the instructors, too. Every teacher she had so far is always so kind and they give great feedback. But she has been struggling with turning stuff in and she's going through a little mental health episode. She feels like she has no motivation whatsoever to turn anything in because she doesn't have any deadline. So in hindsight, that's what's keeping her from turning stuff in and being motivated. But she wants to get better and she wants to turn in two assignments a day for each class.

Whitmore School response
    Thank you for your 5 Star Review Shannon!! Your daughter is doing great work with us, straight A's!
    Our teachers do a really good job encouraging students to summit quality work, but you're right, motivation is difficult to learn for a teenager. My daughter struggled with motivation as well, but once she got in a good routine of submitting assignments, she had more success.
    I am glad she is committed to turning in two lessons a day for each subject.
    We are so pleased to hear your happy with Whitmore School.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

The enrollment was very simple and on the rare occasion I made a phone call, they were very attentive and helpful. The cost was very reasonable and everything went smooth with Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Shawn. Your Son had a good year at Whitmore School!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I was looking for something else for my daughter because she had a lot of health problems her junior year and was missing a lot of school. And it sounded like Whitmore School would be good for her because it's a work at your own pace kind of thing and you can do your class stuff anytime during the day. So, she didn't feel good. She could just do it whenever. Everything went smoothly. We were happy with it. She enjoyed her classes. It was a lot easier for her, not having to be committed to a strict schedule. Her grades went way up. She did much better than when she was in an actual school class, because there's a lot of distractions. She complained a lot about people not being quiet and getting out of their seats, and she doesn't do well with distractions.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Sarah! Working at your own pace with no distractions and drama is a recipe for success. We are so glad your daughter had success with us! Please tell her how proud we are and hope she has a successful future.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

My daughter did great at Whitmore and she liked it. We like the teachers and I like that it's like homeschool.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Farhan!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Whitmore School is a little bit better than public school. It was good the first time. But later, it became boring. My kids are losing interest if I keep pushing them. I like that if they don't do things correctly, the school sends them back. When my youngest daughter was studying, she couldn’t figure out things. She sent in the homework and the school sent it back. I pointed her books and told her to figure it out. There’s a way she could do that. I have a kid coming next year in high school and I’m putting my kid there.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Abdulqadir! Both your Son and Daughter have greatly improved their GPA's at Whitmore School! Please tell them to keep up the good work, they will benefit from their success here.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

My daughter did one semester at Whitmore. She was a senior and everything was positive on our end. I don't think that it was challenging for her.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Ann. Your daughter's work ethic is very impressive, most weeks she submitted work on all 7 days! Please tell her how proud we are of her accomplishments at Whitmore School!

Whitmore School Company Information