Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1 Western Christian Academy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

My daughter last year got curriculum from this "school" and we thought it was great. This year, after having paid the cost in full, weeks went by with no curriculum and no emails regarding shipment on the curriculum. I emailed the school, and they said, "Oh I'm sorry. We're trying to update the curriculum and make it better. I'll let you know as soon as it ships." Two days later, it shipped. Which right there tells me they just simply hadn't shipped the curriculum and tried covering for themselves.

Finally get the curriculum, there were a couple books then a bunch of print offs that were stapled together. Very unhappy with how it's all put together and the cost of it all when I could have done it myself. Then I kept receiving emails about how I needed go call the school and have a conference as it helps the parents understand what is expected from the school. It's kindergarten for one, it's not complicated. I had no questions or concerns. Kept getting the same email but this one I received today is what upset me. She pushed saying it was required, and until I called, they were withholding the rest of my daughter's curriculum, which I had already paid in full for!

My husband called regarding the whole situation which went fine and that was that. Then my husband gets a call back from the school. It's someone else telling him that yes they are withholding my daughter's curriculum because we simply didn't call for a conference. That us not calling, tells them that we as the parent AND the teacher are not doing our job!!! Wayyy out of line with that one!! Said they require a conference because they have a "reputation" to hold. They are not the teacher, nor the "school." We went through them to get resources we did not have. We could have gone anywhere else. They do not teach my child, I do. I'm very unhappy with not only the cost, but the curriculum and the lack of respect and customer service. Very rude.

Western Christian Academy expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Christian Academy is a small, accredited Christian online school for Pre-K through 12th grade. Based in Prather, California, Western Christian Academy was founded over 32 years ago and has over 700 students in all 50 states.

• Payment options: Payments can be made on an annual, semester, quarterly, or monthly basis to meet the needs of families. For the 2016-2017 school year, tuition was $500 per year for PreK, $1,000 per year for first through eighth grade, $1,350-$1,750 per year for third through eighth grade with teacher or online assistance and $2,249 per year for eighth through 12th grade.

• Bible-based curriculum: Western Christian Academy offers a Bible-based curriculum with a Christian worldview. Courses in the Bible are required every year along with math, language arts, history and science.

• Accreditation: The North Central Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) has accredited Western Christian Academy.

• Teacher on Call: Western Christian's Teacher on Call program gives students easy access to teachers and resources for academic support. This feature is included in the high school tuition and is also available to third through eighth grade students for an additional fee.

• Online achievement testing: Western Christian provides annual online achievement testing to determine academic growth and measure achievement.

• Four courses of study: Students can choose from honors, college prep, general, and vocational courses and a counselor will help students determine the best course for themselves.

• Best for: Christian families who want a religious education, homeschooled students and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs