3.28/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 33,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over two million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 21, 2017

58 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My daughter is in college and was taking summer courses. The availability of tutoring in the campus that summer was limited so I went online and tried to find a tutor for her who will be available for the two classes she was taking. Varsity Tutors was then readily available. My daughter did everything online and did live tutoring sessions with the tutor. But more than anything, she independently did her homework and sent it to him for correction and then they get together. The tutor was there to explain what she did wrong. However, there were some issues with Skype whenever they do video tutoring so they ended up sending stuff back and forth. But my daughter prefers live tutoring if she had to meet on a regular basis. Nevertheless, she ended up getting an A and B, which was good.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I am a college student who needed help with only one single subject: Set theory, which is advanced math class. The person who initially sold me the hours to me was very reassuring that they had flexible payment plans and refund policy. They were the only two reasons I decided to give online tutoring a shot. I paid my payments in two separate payments. After making the first payment, I met with a tutor who was not qualified to teach my subject (not to mention that she first contacted me via phone call around 10 pm). The tutor referred to her husband as main source of her knowledge, which was very unprofessional. Also, we spent nearly 20 minutes of 90-minute session simply talking about how technology sucks in online tutoring.

Although I was not pleased with the tutor, I did not leave a bad review because she was trying to help and not everyone is perfect. Then, I had to a get a new debit card and Varsity Tutors called me every day, asking for me to make the payment. I wasn't happy with their service, but I wanted to keep them as my safety net in case I couldn't' find any in-person tutor. So, I made the mistake of making my second half of my payment. Later, I found a great tutor that is qualified and way cheaper than Varsity Tutors. However, because it took me roughly 15 days more to found the right tutor for me, they won't make any refund for my unused 7.5 hours, which is about $400. Had I known that I could not get my money back, I wouldn't have made the second payment.

It is obvious that I simply didn't know, and they are holding their "unbreakable" policy (which had to be signed in order for me to meet my "expert tutor") against me to not make the refund. The person I spoke to regarding this issue told me that if I were only a day late, she could have worked with me, but since I'm more than a day late, she cannot. If you are willing to work for a student, you should afford more than a day. I feel like as customer I wasn't heard nor helped. I understand that policies exist, so I asked if I could only get half of it refunded, and the answer I got was "Sorry, there is NO way we can break the policy." But making a refund after a day late is also breaking the policy. Varsity Tutors is working with and for students. They need to know who their customers are. They can't take advantage of that and just shove policies into our faces.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I looked up an internet ad for New York Tutoring which surprisingly took me to the "Virtual Tutoring" website (not a New York-based company, I presume, but don't know). The nice sales rep who answered the phone informed me that the "Virtual Tutoring" service is the largest in the country and actually also offers in-person tutors in any city. We discussed the possibility of having a tutor come to my home vs our using a virtual tutor who might be located anywhere else in the country. He told me that I would pay the SAME RATE for a Virtual vs an In-Home tutor. I asked why that would be and was told that "travel costs" were absorbed by the company, but that New York rates were higher because all pricing was "MARKET-BASED".

This doesn't make sense to me -- if I'm not using someone who lives in New York, why should I pay more than someone in another area? So I asked about the variation in price for New York vs other markets for virtual tutoring, but the nice sales rep wouldn't answer me and told me I was being aggressive and that Virtual Tutoring would have to hang up. As they did. Not sure if I need a math teacher to understand why comparative pricing is not offered to the consumer. Is it possible the Sales Rep was just ignorant and got scared? Why would pricing for a Virtual Service be Market Based? I think I need an econ tutor now.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I tried Kumon but it didn’t work out. It was terrible. Varsity is totally the opposite. It is really good and they are concerned to find the person who fits my daughter’s schedule. Mayesha is excellent and she updates me every time she comes and talks to me about what is being presented to my daughter on a specific day. My daughter’s learning a lot. When she started, she hasn’t recognized the alphabet and she is reading books now. I really appreciate Mayesha and because of her, I’m going to keep buying more hours through Varsity because I really like the quality of tutoring that she provides for my daughter. I’m really happy with her. Varsity's really professional and I’m telling people about them because I’m satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My daughter took the ACT three times and followed various preparation approaches. Each time she went up one point. Before her fourth test, she prepped with Varsity Tutors. Varsity Tutors took the time to understand her strengths and shortcomings and helped her train and focus on the appropriate areas. I'm happy to say that she went up 2 points with the 4th test and reached her ACT goal. Thanks to hard work and Varsity Tutors assistance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I was referred to Varsity Tutors by a girlfriend who saw results so she asked me to try them about a year ago, and I did. Varsity Tutors was a lot better than the other tutoring option that I used before and I’m very pleased with the difference. We’ve had two different tutors. We tried the online tutor, which was excellent but my son chose to have a tutor that was in front of him, like a physical person, and so currently, we have that and she’s great. She interacts with his teachers at school so she knows where he’s at and she knows what he needs to work on. She fills me in on his progress at the end of every tutoring session and she knows what works and what doesn’t work with him. She knows him as well as us.

My son loves to go to the tutor and he’s getting more confident in his learning. The other day, he did really well on his spelling test and the first words out of his mouth were, “I can’t wait to tell my tutor.” He’s happy and he’s interested in learning, so that makes me happy too. I would highly recommend friends to Varsity Tutors. I would tell them about my experience and that they should call and ask what Varsity Tutors has to offer and see if they can help them out as much as Varsity Tutors has helped me out. Varsity Tutors is amazing and they seemed to help my child. Everything seems to be working great the way it should be and I will continue to stay with Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I decided to take some philosophy lessons with my husband. We did it every week for a few months and LOVED our experience. When we first shared our goals with Varsity Tutors, they did an amazing job at pairing us with the perfect tutor (in our case, she felt more like a teacher!). She was always very well prepared and she did a great job keeping my husband and I engaged with the subjects we were discussing. She'd even check in on us during the week with additional resources that were relevant to the topics. It was enriching for my husband and I, and we couldn't have imagined a better online learning experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Great organization. Very responsive to get my son the perfect tutor for his objectives. Easy to use interface and communication tools. Varsity followed up to make sure all was going to plan. As a parent, I felt like they cared and were invested in my son's success.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I found my interactions with the Varsity Tutor staff to be professional, courteous, and incredibly helpful. When I first signed up for the service I was promptly contacted and advised of "next steps", and I always felt as though they valued me as a customer and wanted to ensure that they answered any and all questions I had. When my first tutor was not the best fit for me, my representative promptly contacted me to listen to my concerns and find me a new tutor, which she completed within one business day. I was thrilled by their level of customer service, expedience, and professionalism.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I looked at what was around where I lived and the price of Varsity Tutors was pretty good, and they had a really good review. I used them when I was struggling in Microbiology class but the first tutor didn’t work out very well. She had a broad knowledge of many science subjects but she wasn’t very knowledgeable in Microbiology. Also, she wasn’t very responsive to emails and she wouldn’t show up on our scheduled video chat sessions. Eventually, she just stopped responding to the emails.

Varsity Tutors helped and reassigned me to a different tutor, and that one worked great. This new tutor was reliable and she showed up when she said she was going to. She was very knowledgeable on the subject and she gave me lots of tips on how to remember things. It was all online and we video chatted and had phone calls, and this was a year ago. If friends ask me about Varsity Tutors, I would tell them to make sure they ask first specifically what they need so they get placed with the right tutor for them, and if it doesn’t work out, they should ask Varsity Tutors for a new one.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My son needed help with a computer science class in college. People called NONSTOP from Varsity. They spoke to my son, they spoke to me. I detailed exactly what was required. They could not assure me that they actually had an individual both with the competence to tutor the specific course and the availability that would be needed. All they wanted was a nearly $1000 commitment before they would even begin the search. Believe me, if they had had the person I would have joyfully paid them. Then, they continued to call, over and over again in spite of several requests to please please stop.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased a package of 15 hours with Varsity Tutors because there were a lot of good reviews when I search the web. However, I am not able to get a good tutor in subjects that my son needs help with, e.g. SAT Math, AP Biology and AP Calculus. They were unable to find a tutor; or the tutor is bad. A couple of major issues are: I repeatedly requested an AP Biology Tutor at specific times that works for us. The tutor kept scheduling sessions while my son is in school; and claims Saturday is not available. My requests for new tutor were ignored. The instant tutor session for AP Calculus to help solve a homework problem also failed. The tutor was not able to solve the problem. My son talked more than him. Sounds like my son was leading the tutor to work on the problem. And Varsity Tutors refused to refund with reason as my request was too late; but finding a tutor consumed most of the time.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The tutor assigned to me talked me into dropping the class. This was during the 2nd session which he was a half an hour late for. He spent 40 minutes describing to me why he couldn't help me. They refused to give me a refund.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Reading many of these reviews I am in awe at how many horrible experiences people have had. I've been using since August (Now November) and never once had trouble! I got a Chinese teacher, ** Qi Li, and she is great! I love her. My biggest problem is it just costs so much! I feel guilty that I may not be able to get more hours unless they have a hell of a sale when my time runs out.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We had recently signed up for the tutoring with this company. From the start we experienced issues with the services and felt as ripoff company. The tutor never came as planned, showed up when we did not requested and auto email keep scheduling tutoring class when we had already canceled the services. As they give 100% money back, it's going to be painstaking. We requested the money back and after month, nothing has been refunded, not only they charge again after month making refund double the amount. Every time I called person James in NJ, he never replied, never processed the refund. I have called many contact numbers provided on website and agents in New Jersey, common answer, someone will call back, and goes to black hole. MY RECOMMENDATION BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS TUTORING COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My wife signed our son up with this company and we pre-paid for 9 sessions with a tutor for our college age son. Upon signing up it took several days to have a tutor contact my son and once the tutor contacted him she advised him she was not qualified to tutor him with his particular subject. The second tutor assigned cancelled the first scheduled session due to a "family emergency" and my son never heard back from the tutor. Multiple calls to the tutor and the company by both my son and us have not been returned. Several weeks have gone by, midterms are upon us and no response from the company. Will file a dispute with my bank in attempt to get our funds back. DO NOT hire this company!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The tutor I got from Varsity Tutors was very good. She made sure I understood everything and because I suck at Math very badly, that's what I needed. She went the extra mile to make sure that I did what I needed to do and I passed every test. I also had some friends try and tutor me. One of them was a school teacher but they couldn't break through the fog in my brain to make me understand. I'm enrolled in an online bachelor's program with TCU and they hit me with everything right out of the gun. There was Algebra the first day but my tutor did something right and she made me go from dumb to smart. I'm very satisfied with Varsity Tutors.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Tutors receive low pay and no support from the company. On more than one occasion, Varsity got a student's information wrong and therefore, made a bad tutor/student pairing. Tutor support takes a very long time to email or call back and are all extremely rude. They are clearly not trained to support tutors. Another time, they left me a very rude voicemail after a new student (who I had not met yet) did not respond to my calls to set something up. They blamed this interaction on me. I had many bad experiences in the time that I worked here. My advice is to look elsewhere for employment; there are many great tutoring companies.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We were so disappointed with Varsity Tutors for ACT tutoring. Varsity Tutor do not have a process in place to check to make sure the student is learning the material. My daughter was taking the review test online before her sessions and was getting better scores but instead of learning and understanding the material, she was remembering the questions. It was not until she took an actual ACT and did not improve her score that we realized this. It was a waste of time and a lot of money. The local office managers tried to help by replacing the tutor but the second tutor did not work out either, she kept cancelling and rescheduling at the last minute.

I finally gave up and hired a local tutor where we say my daughter score improve significantly. I wasted almost $2,000, 8 months of study time and many phone calls on this company. When we had unused hours I received a call from sales agent inquiring about using them (and purchasing more). I told her our frustration. She told me someone would contact me about their "money back guarantee" but no one ever contacted me. They are excellent salespeople, don't get fooled into buying from them.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I called varsity tutor with a simple question about how they select tutors and how much they charge for the tutoring. I got a lecture from a condescending woman who repeated her name thrice (like you do when you encounter an infant), told me twice that she was Deputy Director. And also informed me that this is an 'Elite' service catering only to the 'elitest' of families!!! But they think you will pay them $$ per hour for more of the crap. Also you cannot even try it out for 30 mins - you must directly pay and await a tutor they select who will change multiple times during your tenure unless you pay a huge amount upfront (like $7000 approx).

When I pay that much money, I expect choices, good customer treatment and guarantees of the value that the service will bring. I would not even think of calling back because the lady I spoke to on the phone obviously had no customer handling skills and should never have been working in a call center if she was Deputy Director of anything. Her tone and choice of words were ridiculous!!! Will never recommend or even think of spending my hard earned money there. Big thumbs down.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We purchased a tutor on 7/22/17 for 2500 for two daughters. The tutor canceled the first week and then he tried to tutor both at the same time, which we did NOT agree upon. He canceled a few times after that. We were unable to even evaluate him completely. One of his remarks was "I am busy right now and I'll call you when I have time". We were hesitate in complaining about him because they were so close to testing time and they convinced us to try online with this tutor and he even stood one of my daughters on that. This was a week before testing.

I believe I was misled about the apparent top rated program. My two daughters worked through the summer to get ready for this test. Even the day before the test one of my daughters again waited for this tutor to call and he never did. I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and work at the Federal Court and have never seen such a program like this. I can see going up a point on the ACT but to DROP 2 POINTS come on now. I have 6 hours left and I know I will not see a refund because after I complained they STOPPED calling, imagine that. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I paid for a package of SAT tutoring hours for my daughter. She began with one tutor who was pretty useless, so asked to change to another one. The other tutor was a bit more knowledgeable but very unreliable, constantly changed and cancelled appointment dates - to the point where it was simply not possible to use the hours that we had paid for.

The company then contacted us 3 days before she was scheduled to take the SAT, to say that her current tutor was no longer available but they could assign a new one. I contacted them explaining that was no longer possible with such little time remaining before the SAT, and asked them to refund the money paid for hours that we were unable to use because of the tutor's flakiness. The person I spoke to, named Andrea, flat-out refused, saying that the contractual terms stipulate no refunds of unused hours. They of course had never shown me these terms, because the entire sign-up transaction was conducted over the phone. I asked to speak to a manager, and Andrea promised that the manager would call me back the next day - that was more than a week ago, I have heard nothing from them.

That is quite a good scam they have going, taking customers' money and then hiring tutors who they know won't be available. That way they earn pure profit, without needing to pay anyone for services rendered. I will be contacting the Attorney General's Office about this as well, hopefully they will investigate and shut down this sleazebag operation.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I recently completed an online application to teach for varsity tutors, the online search for potential students. After being asked to complete 16 written questions, 10 live video questions, taking upwards of 10 math qualifying tests in a row, I was asked to complete the application by submitting a copy of my driver's license and fill in my social security number so that a background check could be done. I find this request an absolute breach of privacy and an untenable one in this age of identity theft. I spent over 2 hours jumping through the required hoops to qualify as a tutor and then I reached this complete impasse as I refuse to relinquish that information which requires compromising one's identity by submitting confidential information online. I think this is egregious and I think the company should be called out for this requirement as part of their application process.

There must be another way that the company can proceed to verify information about their applicants without said applicant jeopardizing his/her identity. This needs to be addressed. I brought this to the attention of several operators who worked for the company and all I was told is 'perhaps this is not a good fit.' That is absolutely absurd. I am a super qualified tutor and am a perfect fit to tutor students in mathematics. I think their requirement borders on an illegality.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I purchased a tutoring package for my daughter. I knew that there were no monetary refunds for unused hours but I did verify the package was both transferable and with no expiration date. Four months ago toward the end of the school year, I had 3 hours left. I tried to get a math teacher but they could not find one! I then was pointed to their online tutor where one contact equaled one session even if you needed help for just 15 minutes... That was out of the question (my kids use tutor.com for that). Now, it's been 4 months since they could not find a one-on-one math tutor, and I get a phone call advising my hours have expired!

Resolution response: Aug. 11, 2017

I wrote a review that was posted on July 27 about not receiving a refund for unused hours of tutoring. I spoke to several different people with no success - until I reached Amy. She was wonderful and really listened to my complaint. She went out of her way to help resolve this issue. I am now receiving the refund for the unused hours.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I signed my son up for tutoring to prepare for the ACT. The tutor he was assigned to would only be online half of the time. He rearranged his work schedule to be available for tutoring. He would get online and wait. She would not be there half of the time. His ACT score did not improve. I didn't really expect it to based on the inconsistency of tutoring. Now they are refusing to refund my money for the unused portion of hours. I understand that I should be held responsible for the amount of time he used (even though there was no improvement on his scores), but to be forced to pay for unused hours is wrong. After reading through these reviews I see my son was not the only one who had a tutor to be a no show. I should have done better research. I would avoid this company at all costs.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 20, 2017

I signed up for one hour for $80 as a trail. Two weeks later the tutor has not contacted me, they told me they were having issues with placement. I found another tutor and requested my money back. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back after one hour was used. The salesman and the website state there is a money back guarantee. In my book that is fraud, no service for payment and no money back guarantee. Steer clear.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I signed up and was told that I would be able to access instant online help and would be paired with a tutor immediately because my needs were urgent (within 24 hours). The sales rep complete misrepresented the service. Not only is the subject not available on their drop-down instant help page (90% of my reason for signing up), but the tutor is not an expert in my area. Also when I went to find customer service number to talk to someone about my concerns, the site was down. I was on the site earlier in the day and there was no warning the site would be down.

In addition when I talked to someone he kept insisting my needs were being met. When I repeatedly explained that the reason I signed up was for immediate (online) help, he dismissed this completely. I had to ultimately get a tutor through Wyzant. It's been less than 24 hours that I gave them my money and they refuse to reimburse me without going through at least one tutor and their refund policy. Also they don't offer a trial period which is nuts. Stay away. Use Wyzant if you can.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I was desperate to find an algebra tutor after I couldn't find any local tutors in my area. I asked Varsity if they had private face to face tutoring and they didn't. They offered online tutoring, which isn't for me and I just felt like I need a private face to face tutor. They made it seem like they are gods. Very good at convincing and persuading me that they are amazing. I didn't learn a thing, my first tutoring session was awful. Then my tutor canceled the second time. So they offered me instant tutoring and it was HORRIBLE! There was foreigners trying to teach me with accents. I couldn't understand what they were saying. Another one was rude.

One of my tutors got mad at me whenever I used my calculator even though my class strongly advises us to use a calculator and kept yelling at me whenever he saw me using a calculator, despite the fact that I have dyscalculia, that made me feel even more insecure about math and I canceled that session because I couldn't stop crying that entire day. I complained to customer service. They are provokingly nice however they do not answer your questions. And I've complained about the insensitivity of that tutor and they don't seem to care that their tutors are rude and not that educated. I've gotten a couple answers wrong on my homework because of them and I even had to correct them now and then.

After my horrible experience with Varsity Tutors, I've been asking them for a refund for about a week now. They hung up on me once when I mentioned a refund and then they said my account manager will call me back on that day to discuss refund and it's been a week later and no call. Which is hilarious because when I was interested in their tutoring they were so quick and eager to talk to me but when I asked for a refund they are no help and not as friendly. I honestly think they are procrastinating so 60 days can pass by and then it'll be my responsibility. I will be contacting my credit card company and possibly my local attorney and filling out a consumer complaint form. I am truly disappointed of the results of my experience with Varsity. It was only one session that made me realize this whole thing was a red flag, I wanted a refund right after my first session but of course they don't care as long as they have your money because you have to pay in full.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I would give this company zero stars if I could. They are eager to have you pay over $900.00 for services they set you up for on the phone & the tutor no shows because she's with another client. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back within 30 days after the salesman said my money back was 100% guaranteed. Now I have to take them to small claims court to get my money back.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I have been subscribed to the "Question of the Day: LSAT Logic Games" from Varsity Tutors. Many questions are not answerable. They do not contain enough information to answer them. This is a problem for someone who is practicing for the exam and trying to get the timing down. I tried to bring this up with Varsity Tutors via email but it is difficult to get in touch with them and I have not received a response to any of my inquiries. So if you're looking to purchase their service, I would do my research. Varsity Tutors reps do not feel it is important to address direct emails with complaints.

Varsity Tutors Company Information