Udemy

Compare Online Course Websites

Research top Online Course Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

4people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Udemy:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Udemy was a great idea, but their instructor support is terrible. They don't answer emails and support tickets. I've had a request to join the Udemy Studio on Facebook for over a week and haven't had a response. My prediction is if they don't get their admin straightened out, Udemy will be history because someone else will pick up the same idea but give better support. Very disappointed and would not recommend that you put a lot of effort into developing a course there.

I have completed 3 courses over the years. (I don't have much free time.) I find the courses as well covered, but that depends on who is teaching. I purchased 2 courses last year and the person teaching was a poor speaker (let's say mumble) making the course useless. Overall the courses are worth the money. I would recommend Udemy provide a 30-second example of the teacher so you don't get stuck with professor Mumbles. I have about 10 courses, but Udemy makes it quite difficult to prove it without spending an inordinate amount of time saving them and somehow providing them as receipts to your consumer business.

I learned of Udemy through a third party website that was selling a group of Udemy lectures in a package of courses for a relatively reasonable price. I really wanted to learn how to code in python, so I made the purchase based on the description and the excellent reviews the lecture had on Udemy's website. I started to take the course and found the course to be riddled with errors and incredibly poorly designed. It's clear the course description was fabricated by the lecturers and that the reviews were fabricated as well. I went to see how Udemy screens its lecturers. It appears that they allow almost anyone who has the time to create a lecture series and post it on their website - it doesn't seem as if they screen the lecturers or the reviews, but I may be wrong here. They might screen, but do a poor job of it.

Anywho, I attempted to get a refund based on their 30 day money back guarantee, but Udemy refused. They apparently will not honor the 30 day money back guarantee if their product was sold through a 3rd party. This concept doesn't make sense to me. It's Udemy that chose to sell the product and it's Udemy that chose to allow the content of said product to be incredibly poor. Why should anyone but the website that allows lecturers to lie on their descriptions and reviews be held accountable. Currently neither website will refund me and I just feel really scammed. I trusted reviews and a description on a website, when I was wrong to trust either. I've learned my lesson, so I've decided to share it. If you're going to use Udemy, don't purchase from a 3rd party or find another website that will stand behind their product regardless of the circumstances.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.
  • Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.
  • Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.
  • Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.
  • Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.
  • Best for Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Question and Answers - Udemy

What sets your company apart from the competition?

Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.

What problem is Udemy trying to solve?

Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.

What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.

How does Udemy measure success?

Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?

Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.

How has your company grown or evolved?

Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Compare Online Course Websites