Udemy

29%

Compare Online Course Websites

Research top Online Course Websites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

5people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Udemy:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Udemy sent me an email offering a course for $10.00. When I purchased the course I was charged $49.00. They refused to refund me the difference between what they advertised the course for and what I was charged. In my opinion, any company that combines bait and switch tactics with poor customer service is a company that you want to avoid doing business.

They had a lot of courses but to find them you had to do a Google search for them. But they had a great variety of courses to choose from. I found it so confusing I stopped using it. I would recommend them fixing the site to have more subscribers because I know others feel the same way but not saying it. They are trying to educate the people which is a good thing. With knowledge comes power so that's a must. So I give them a plus for trying to help out.

There are many selections you can take. I took a coding course in HTML. They have all different levels of difficulty so it's great for all levels of experience. They taught very well in a way that was easy to understand. They were very experienced in their area. They answered my questions when I had them. The instructor was very helpful. They helped with any questions I had and the language of the program was in common language. The value was exceptional because it was a quality course for a fairly cheap price that would be expensive in person.

After a few minutes and taking my time it was easy to understand and was easy complete in a rather quick time frame and I was satisfied. I would recommend it. They were very knowledgeable and made this a very satisfying course to complete and were always available if students had any concerns or needed help in any area. Following the given instructions and taking your time made this very easy to learn. At least it made the learning quite easy for me and I usually have to take longer than some to get things done and get the results I was aiming for. Compared to other online courses, this one was a good value and was filled with all the tools needed which made the value even better and this was just a plus in an already great thing.

I like the course selection. It is the best for me to be the one to see what I need to know, it is good instructors and good instructors need good qualifications. It is the best for everyone to know the ease of learning a subject and how this company makes that. It is a good value to see the value of a product and it is relevant to me when you are doing things because it is important.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Udemy?

They have a very wide selection of courses. I was able to find quite a few that were relevant to my needs and were able to help me in my career. Every instructor that I dealt with was clearly qualified to teach the subject. They were high quality and made my learning experience positive and productive. I found that the way that they have their programs set up it made it quite easy to learn the course material. I had very few problems and when I did they were always right there to help me out and answer all of my questions. I thought that the prices were very good. And when you consider what I got for what I paid I consider them a very good value. I feel like every dollar that I gave them was money well spent.

I choose web designing. I used this to help get a understanding in web development. This course greatly helped me understand creating websites better. I also took a css course. I'm not the best. I truly gained a insight into what to do. An instructor can't simply teach you anything. They have to people qualified. They will have their degrees listed, and completed courses. It's very one on one. It's really good for those who like examples because during the course most have follow alone files that let you learn. I would totally prefer for this to be a free website. Since it's not I'm ok because you won't lose your money as long as you enjoy learning.

When you try to watch videos in the course, they are very slow. It take lot of time to buffer and it keeps on buffering for every 5-10 sec. This make very irritating while listening to videos.

After their selling me on the idea of paying for a course that I could have access to for life I purchased over 20 courses. Less than a year later I'm informed I must sign a new user agreement or lose access to my account and courses. When confronting support with this I'm at first assured that's not the case, but with a bit of persistence I'm now told if I don't agree to the new terms I lose access to my account and courses and I that they will not get any refund whether I've used them yet or not even though they are the ones restricting my access unless I bow to their blackmail tactics.

I did music and video editing, cinematography, film making etc. Most courses were very satisfying. Teachers were very knowledgeable and helpful. Plus there are hundreds of free courses to guide you through your areas of interests. Instructors were working professionals in the same area of field. They had enough qualifications and personal experiences and the courses were designed keeping students ease and comfort on mind. It was great learning with Udemy instructors.

Courses were well designed, were practical and teachers were very helpful to reply the students queries at the same time. Very interactive and supportive teachers. Most of them were readily available to answer student questions whenever required by students. I am very highly satisfied with most courses and instructors . Plus website administrators were pretty helpful too. They would refund the money within 30 days if we wouldn't like the course we enrolled for. So all in all pretty good site for e-learning.

Udemy is the world's largest destination for online courses. They have a huge selection of courses that you can choose and complete. These classes are available to be taken online which is very convenient. Udemy currently has 20,000 instructors, which I think is great. You can also become an instructor by going to their website, selecting create a course, and taking the necessary steps. The ease of learning at Udemy is great. Not only is it easy, but you have 20 pop instructors to help make things easier. They will be with you every step of way. Udemy's worth is at the top. I would pay good money for their services because they're worth it and more. Not only are their courses worth it, but they don't overcharge you to take them.

Udemy was a great idea, but their instructor support is terrible. They don't answer emails and support tickets. I've had a request to join the Udemy Studio on Facebook for over a week and haven't had a response. My prediction is if they don't get their admin straightened out, Udemy will be history because someone else will pick up the same idea but give better support. Very disappointed and would not recommend that you put a lot of effort into developing a course there.

I have completed 3 courses over the years. (I don't have much free time.) I find the courses as well covered, but that depends on who is teaching. I purchased 2 courses last year and the person teaching was a poor speaker (let's say mumble) making the course useless. Overall the courses are worth the money. I would recommend Udemy provide a 30-second example of the teacher so you don't get stuck with professor Mumbles. I have about 10 courses, but Udemy makes it quite difficult to prove it without spending an inordinate amount of time saving them and somehow providing them as receipts to your consumer business.

I learned of Udemy through a third party website that was selling a group of Udemy lectures in a package of courses for a relatively reasonable price. I really wanted to learn how to code in python, so I made the purchase based on the description and the excellent reviews the lecture had on Udemy's website. I started to take the course and found the course to be riddled with errors and incredibly poorly designed. It's clear the course description was fabricated by the lecturers and that the reviews were fabricated as well. I went to see how Udemy screens its lecturers. It appears that they allow almost anyone who has the time to create a lecture series and post it on their website - it doesn't seem as if they screen the lecturers or the reviews, but I may be wrong here. They might screen, but do a poor job of it.

Anywho, I attempted to get a refund based on their 30 day money back guarantee, but Udemy refused. They apparently will not honor the 30 day money back guarantee if their product was sold through a 3rd party. This concept doesn't make sense to me. It's Udemy that chose to sell the product and it's Udemy that chose to allow the content of said product to be incredibly poor. Why should anyone but the website that allows lecturers to lie on their descriptions and reviews be held accountable. Currently neither website will refund me and I just feel really scammed. I trusted reviews and a description on a website, when I was wrong to trust either. I've learned my lesson, so I've decided to share it. If you're going to use Udemy, don't purchase from a 3rd party or find another website that will stand behind their product regardless of the circumstances.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Udemy offers classes in virtually every subject imaginable, all available at any time. Their goal is to make education accessible and convenient.

• Plentiful class options: They offer more than 20,000 different courses covering everything from yoga to programming.
  • Affordable pricing: Each class is affordable, and most cost less than $50.
  • Pay as you go: Instead of racking up thousands in student debt, Udemy has a pay-as-you-go model that works with most budgets.
  • Expert instructors: Every course is developed and led by experts in the field.
  • Mobile access: The Udemy apps brings courses to you on the go. If you have a few minutes during the morning commute, catch a video or lecture.
  • Best for Professionals, stay-at-home moms and students on a budget.

Question and Answers - Udemy

What sets your company apart from the competition?

Our mission is to help anyone learn anything. The Udemy story is fundamentally about transformation – of education, our jobs, our workplaces, the world around us, and ourselves – and our ability to actively shape our futures in the midst of massive change.

What problem is Udemy trying to solve?

Udemy’s online learning platform empowers individuals and companies to survive and thrive in a changing world. Udemy offers people everywhere the opportunity to advance their careers, change professions, develop their personal passions, or simply learn something new.

What needs do your products and services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

Udemy taps into the knowledge of experts around the world to help students and companies everywhere build valuable skills. We believe the knowledge of everyday experts should be shared. Instructors can even monetize their expertise by sharing their knowledge with the people who need it.

Additionally, Udemy for Business, our corporate learning platform, delivers employee training for high-growth companies and teams. We are the only corporate learning platform that gives customers access to existing cutting-edge content as well as the ability to easily create and share their own internal content.

How does Udemy measure success?

Udemy is successful when its students have learned what they set out to learn. We’re about helping people find skills for their personal and professional development: when our students succeed, we succeed.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

Just a short time ago, we were not even able to watch a video online. Now people all over the world are using online videos to learn valuable skills. The world of online education has the potential to change lives and is riding a wave of momentum that will last for several years to come.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

The online learning space was not around 10 years ago and has really gained momentum in the last few years.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Udemy?

Online education makes skills development and training accessible to everyone. As more people embrace a lifelong learning mindset in order to remain competitive in today’s job market, we at Udemy see people across the world share their expertise and acquire new skills through online platforms like ours.

How has your company grown or evolved?

Udemy has experienced rapid growth since its founding in 2010. In 2014 alone, Udemy celebrated the enrollment of its 5 millionth student and added 6,000 new instructors. Company revenue increased 160 percent over the previous year, as well.

Also in 2014, Udemy tripled its employee count to 120 employees and moved into expanded headquarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district. Udemy opened our first European outpost in Dublin, Ireland. Additionally, we established Udemy Social Innovation, a program that helps nonprofits create online courses to increase their impact. Udemy plans to expand its growing international presence in 2015.

Compare Online Course Websites