4.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

312 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

One of the first things that caught my information was the Groupon as I was scrolling through, looking for other things, and Sylvan Learning kept coming up in the feed, “Tutoring Sylvan, discount. You can get an evaluation with four sessions at a discounted rate.” And when my child was struggling in math, I remembered seeing the Groupon. So I went back in, and it was still available. Before I purchased it, it made me wanna do a bit of research. I was living in Castro Valley, California at the time, and I wanted to know what type of tutoring services were available in my sort of immediate vicinity. My husband went by a Kumon, and he didn't know how he felt about it. So, I went and was highly disappointed and turned off by their method. My child was too far behind according to their assessment. At that very moment, we had a specific type of need, and they cannot meet that need.

So then, I went to Sylvan, sat down with them to get an idea what their method was, and how they could be of help possibly to our family. I like knowing that not only could my student get help with their homework, but if they knew that they had a test or a quiz coming up, that they could get specific help addressing the topics that would be covered on that upcoming exam. And if there was no homework or there was no upcoming exam, that Sylvan would be able to still provide their own materials to build up the areas needing improvement of my child's personal development. Even the initial assessment that identifies areas of weakness was great for me. I saw a significant improvement in the math grade and my student had more confidence and performed better in the math class. We were all happy campers.

There was a gap in having Sylvan's services as we ended up moving. I live in a different city now, and we found the San Ramon, California, Sylvan. I have both of my students in it now as they both struggle in math. We started at the end of November, and so far, so good. At the Castro Valley location, I felt like the teachers and the tutors were solid. They seemed knowledgeable, effective, capable and able to show my student, what they needed to know to be successful, and it was always accurate and spot-on. That has been the case here in San Ramon as well. They are knowledgeable individuals that had been able to successfully help my students.

I ask both my students all the time what do they have today, and we drive into tutoring. And they would answer that they have a test coming up and that they don't always feel prepared for it. And when we leave tutoring, I would ask them if they feel that their tutoring helped them. They would answer, "Oh, absolutely. I didn't know how to do this one problem, and they totally broke it down. Super easy, and I know I could do it on my own now." We leave the house going to tutoring with questions and concerns, and when every time we come back from tutoring, they have way more confidence. And so, I have been impressed and pleased with how knowledgeable every tutor has been that they've worked with. The tutors were friendly in Castro Valley, and they're friendly, polite and kind here in San Ramon. I have friends who started going to Sylvan because I told them about my experience and that they should send their student as well.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

We had a couple of different tutors for my son before we went with Sylvan Learning Centers. We had a family member who was the head of the math department at one of the local high schools. She’s retired and she tutors, so she had helped my son a little bit. Then we used Mathnasium and we didn’t like them because they only have one branch here and it’s on the other side of town. So, it was very laborsome for us to try and make that work, especially with my son’s busy schedule. And at that time, he was not driving and he had a lot going on with club soccer. But Sylvan’s the opposite. They have two different locations, one south and one north, so that was a big difference for us.

The other thing that my son and I didn’t like about Mathnasium was that they’re very big on starting from the basics and working all the way backwards to see where are the student's deficiencies, then they start very elementary. I kinda get the concept of that but my child was still struggling in school and I thought they’d spend some time at the end on homework or help. But it wasn’t getting the job done for him, so we did that for a semester and a half then we gave that up. The people at Mathnasium were proficient in math but their concept and philosophy were not congruent with my son’s needs in school. He needed help with what was going on presently in class and 80% of the time, Mathnasium wanted to go backwards and figure out what he was missing.

Compared to that, Sylvan is the exact opposite. He also did math with them because that’s what he’s always struggled with. He started with Algebra 1, then geometry, and now, Algebra 2. I’ve been really impressed with the caliber of some of the instructors there although there have been a couple who haven’t been awesome. So they’re not equal when it comes to their proficiencies, which you get that anywhere with any job. But there have been a couple of superstars there that my son just walks away feeling much more confident about what he knows because they’re confident in how they’re teaching it. Matt was one of the superstars there but unfortunately, he has left. I know they’re trying to fill that position and they’re being very selective. So, I understand and appreciate them in trying to find a replacement.

Right now, I would like for my son to have more confidence and not feel like Sylvan is a crutch. They’ve been great though and having confidence in math is something he’s always struggled with, so it is not like this is gonna change overnight in his years in high school. But we’re at the point where we’re trying to get him through this last math class for him because I don’t think he’s planning on taking calculus. And to include to get a decent math score on the SAT. So, we will probably continue next year with some classes to help in preparing for the SATs. But we’ll see once he gets through this year and I’m gonna let Sylvan focus in getting him to be more confident in math because he’s always studies with a psychological block.

Also, one of the things I really appreciate is that the folks at Sylvan really care about my son's success. He plays varsity soccer so he’s got demands and he’s got a job, and if ever he has to reschedule because of sports or events, they’re very good about working with me on that. They’re very flexible and they never act like it’s a big imposition. But their service is pricey. You have to have the finances to be able to afford it. It’s expensive, but sometimes, you get what you pay for. And it has certainly worked out well for my son and it’s been worth it for him. They’ve helped him to maintain a B or better in math.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My son came home on the last day of school with a two on his EOG. Five was the highest and three was passing, but they passed him on from fifth grade to sixth grade anyway. He also got two fours in third grade and another four in the fourth grade, so two was a substantial drop. I wanted to make sure if the two was due to lack of skill even if he tried his best and did not blow up the test. We started middle school this fall with some foundation and his Sunday school teacher at the church recommended Sylvan. We sought reading tutorial for my son during the summer and we are also using them right now exclusively for the reading tutorial.

I ask my son regularly if he has been learning things and there has been an improvement so far. After the first month, I had a little parent meeting and they showed the official documentation of how my son can improve from the testing process that they used. It was nice to have concrete assessments showing specific skill improvement. Also, he has sounded more confident. He is a reluctant reader and has ADHD so he hates going. When we started the first month, we did two-hour stints but by the end of July, the people went screaming out the door and recommended that we back off to an hour because of his condition. But they also felt that he made faster progress than they anticipated. It turned out that my son blew off the EOG for whatever reason both in math and reading. He had better skills than the grade of two represented.

Sylvan's own system of assessing placed him behind his peers. He was like in the middle of the fifth-grade reading level. So even though he blew it off, it was not represented of what he could do and he still remains behind in spite of his performance. Now that school has started, we go to Sylvan twice a week only. He still hates it but he can do it for an hour. He absolutely loves the system of rewards which he is totally externally motivated. He tells me when he gets in the car every time we go how many tokens he earned and he frequently comes out with a toy from the cabinet. He recently won $15 in Target gift cards.

Moreover, my son concurrently did both types of tutoring in the month of July at Mathnasium and they did a paper and pencil kind of deal but at Sylvan, he gets to work on an iPad which is a super plus. He is super motivated by the bit of technology thrown in, too. The incentives are great and as a parent, I like the measurable assessments that show measurable growth. The tutors were super sweet and worked with his particular personality really well -- he only had one tutor that he did not care for. All in all, our experience with Sylvan has been great.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had my granddaughter for the summer and she wanted to graduate early from high school. She wanted to get school behind her so she could have an opportunity to start studying art. But she also knew that her scholastics was important. So she wanted to do that and do it well. When she had met with her high school counselor, her counselor said that if she could take two particular subjects, she could get enough credits to graduate one year early. I told her if she would commit to put in the work, I would do what I could to get her through it.

So we signed up for online courses. She had to take English 3 and a Math Model, a wonderful course but very difficult. There was a lot of reading and writing for English and it was very time-consuming but she's very good in English. On the other hand, she found math challenging and when I looked at it, I could help her with a couple of problems but beyond that, we were in trouble. She was frantic and upset. At the same time, I was already $1,500 into it for those two courses. So for my financial reasons and her emotional ones, as well as for what she was wanting to do with her life, I promised we would do whatever it took to get through it.

I was not having trouble getting my granddaughter to do the work. I was having trouble getting the support for her to get it finished, getting the teachers to grade the work and getting it back so that I could go on to the next lesson. Then I was having trouble with getting the level of tutoring and the time that she needed to get the work done. We were on a time schedule and I couldn't depend on other people helping unless I knew that they were professional and as committed as we were.

I started worrying about the time so I looked at my options and I considered Sylvan. At first though, I was a little worried because they seemed to have programs that were keyed to younger students. They seemed to be more into students who struggle with math in third grade or in learning how to read. I talked to Mindy and she would come in and visit but I never got to talk to her. Then I started talking to Dara and I was very adamant about the plan. We were talking about three-hour sessions three times a week. So it was nine hours a week on tutoring, which was a lot. I asked if they could handle that and at first, they couldn't. But they worked with me.

Everybody had to adjust because the needs were very great. My granddaughter needed instructors who were more than what the elementary kids needed. So we had to get those instructors because the first math instructor couldn’t help her much. It was over his head also. It was taking hours to go through two or three problems and she had a whole semester of it to do. In these two areas, understanding what her needs were and then getting her the level of instruction that she needed, Sylvan was amazing. Also, in getting her the enormous amount of time that she needed, they made that available to her too. Dara worked with me and was amazing. She would call me to tell me what was available.

We had to do a little adjusting and Sylvan came up with it. It was very nice and I was amazed. We made it through and my granddaughter was so pleased. I was also so happy that I could follow through and help her to make it happen. And Sylvan was there supporting me every bit of the way. We could not have done it without them, especially Dara and their staff. It was a wonderful experience. It was difficult but it was really neat.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Different learning centers are popping up left and right out here, and I checked the cost. But when I checked into one, I didn’t really like their approach for a young person who is struggling at such an early age. It seemed a lot less hands-on. First off, I couldn’t understand why it was so cheap. Then I realized it was because you did most of the work yourself with packets they would send home. But we were already struggling with homework at home. I was also doing 20 minutes of math and reading with my grandson every night. For someone who has a little bit of a learning issue, that is a lot because they get frustrated or have lack of confidence. So why would I want packets sent home? That's ridiculous.

On the other hand, Sylvan is local and their reviews are good. I went there and the two sister owners were fantastic. When they were done testing my grandson, it was as though his teacher had emailed and told them what exactly was wrong. The woman who worked with him literally mimicked everything that his teacher had said. It was amazing. That was how I knew that they were on it and that was why we went with them. Plus Sylvan’s been around forever and their name has always been out there.

When we started with them, we focused on reading. At the time, my grandson was getting pulled out of class once a week to work in the school's reading program. But we never really saw improvement although we’re in a fantastic school district. We were working with him at home too. It was difficult and he was struggling. By the time Sylvan got him, we had taught him all his 300 sight words. But there’s more to it than that. He did know how to read but not well enough to his grade level. He was having trouble with decoding and getting up into the harder words. It wasn’t until we got with Sylvan Learning that we really saw the improvement. Sylvan really came in strong at all the decoding. And there’s been constant progress too.

We had had SST meetings but none of the teachers could get a handle on where the learning issue was because he’s not bouncing or all over the board. He’s a really well-behaved young man. But his focusing is off. Sylvan has caught on to that issue though, and they’re really good about working with his frustration. They’re very patient and I couldn’t ask for them to be better.

I didn't really like the vibe of one particular tutor. She was probably a nice enough tutor and just fine with everyone else. But I didn't feel it was quite working for my grandson. She told him that I was paying a lot of money to make sure he was getting what he needed so he would really need to put all of his focus into getting my money's worth. And that set off wrong with me. You don’t share that with a little seven-year-old. That wasn’t really her place to say either, and he already has enough low comments. I want them to stay focused on what he's supposed to learn. I don't want them trying to teach my grandson anything.

I let the tutor know that I wanted to change up and they were very understanding about that. That's what I like about Sylvan. There are little personality things and you have to be able to communicate with people. This particular location is fantastic. They care. They’re very hands-on and intuitive, and it starts from the top. Whenever it starts from the top and you have great owners or bosses, it’s gonna trickle down to the rest because they’re always there. I feel kind of sorry for them because they work so dang hard. But I can't say enough good things about them.

I’m also about helping the teachers. They need support from the parents, especially with a student who is struggling. Now that my grandson's in third grade, we’re fully into math because he’s so far behind on it. When the school psychologist asked what we've been doing on our side, we've told them about Sylvan and they think it's great. The school is very happy after I've told them about Sylvan. I’ve also recommended Sylvan multiple times to a lot of people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

Pretty much I brought my child to Sylvan Learning Center to help increase both Math and reading comprehension skills. Before my child started I was promised a few things and unfortunately they never happened. 1; I was told they would reach out to my child school and teacher, so that they would be on the same page as far as helping my child. This never happened. In fact my child teacher didn't even know she attended Sylvan, until myself and my child told her. Once I found this out I reached out to the head manager at my child's location. The lady apologized unsympathetically and said she will reach out personally and asked for my child's teacher info again and still no one reached out to the teacher. What a joke.

2; I was told I would get constant updates regarding my child progress. That also never happened. 3; I was told they would prepare my child for the next school year/grade level but instead they constantly gave my child work from lower grade levels that my kid knew. None of the practice work given was my child grade level or up so my child was bored. Which I also brought to their attention and the response was "your child can bring in their school work, if that helps". SMH. At that point I was very upset after all what am I paying you for if I have to constantly tell you what to do and bring in work of my own. But I still had hope for Sylvan. Until they provided my daughter with a math tutor that did not understand my child work which my child was told specifically to bring in so they could assist her.

Also I know they cannot control other individuals children but one day I witness a child be absolutely disrespectful not only to the staff but the other children working. He was yelling and constantly distracting everyone. And the staff just let it happen. They said "oh we'll just let his dad knows when he picks him up." That right there showed me their only motive is getting paid and nothing more. Overall my experience was a joke. A complete waste of time. Multiple promises are given. Dreams are sold to you in order to scam you out of your hard earned money. Maybe my issue isn't with Sylvan as a whole but it most certainly is with the location my child attended. It's unfortunate my first impression of what I thought was a excellent company indeed turned out to be the opposite. First impressions are lasting ones.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Nicole - Thank you for getting in touch about this. We are so sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations for communicating with your child's teacher! At Sylvan, we do our best to keep your child's entire educational support team updated on his or her progress because we understand how important that line of communication is. We sincerely apologize for your poor experience! We'd like to try and make things right, so we're going to send you a private message with some more information. Thanks for your feedback!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 2, 2019

Hello I will not recommend the CHAMPAIGN IL facility to anyone. When I decided that I wanted my son to attend them they said he will guaranteed learn everything he needs to learn & it’s going on 2 months he hasn't gained anything they said he will. In fact he hates to go because he said there is a certain tutor that is very mean to him to a adjusted it to where he does work with her. They understood and switched him (but not yet solved the problem of her being mean to my child). Also my child said no one helps him with anything he comes in every day just to be on a tablet (so I’m paying for my child to be on a tablet when he can do that at home? hmmmm).

And last but not least when registering JACKIE explained that I can take my child out any time if we are not satisfied with the company so I took him out and now she is saying she didn't say that and is now charging me STILL and my child is no longer attending. Also he has unused hours for him being excused & they have not once allowed him to use those hours. Jackie is very unprofessional and rude. I thought this would be a great ideal for my child to help him & it was the total opposite and a waste of my money! JACKIE has lied to my family just for the money and I am upset for the sake of my son learning.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Tramia - Thank you for getting in touch about this. We are so sorry to hear you haven't had a great experience with us so far! At Sylvan, we set high standards for our customer service, and we aim to help each student reach his or her academic goals in a positive and safe environment. We'd like to try and make things right, so we're going to send you a private message with more details. Again, we apologize for your poor experience!

Original review: April 27, 2019

The tutors at Sylvan Learning are focusing on my child's reading and math and they're doing good so far. He’s a math child but being in middle school, math has changed a little bit. With Sylvan, he's more comfortable now and his quiz scores are going up. He is now where he is supposed to be. He has always been there, but we wanted to make sure that he was more comfortable. I would let my friends know that we’ve enjoyed Sylvan so far. We have one-on-ones. They always contact us if anything is needed. My child absolutely loves it so I would definitely recommend Sylvan.

Original review: April 25, 2019

My daughter was two and a half years behind in math and the school didn't offer tutoring. I've always heard good things about Sylvan Learning and it worked miracles with my daughter. I noticed her grades are getting better and her math teacher told me the other day that whatever I've done to my daughter is working. Sylvan Learning is awesome. I like the way they teach and I like one of the teachers there. My daughter also feels good that she's being rewarded for what she's doing.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I kept seeing a lot of commercials about Sylvan Learning Center and it looked like a good program that I would be interested in for my son. The tutor focused on the Math subject and my son has improved substantially better than when he did not go. His learning experience has been positive. Sylvan is education-focused but very friendly and caring. I have recommended them to a couple of my coworkers whose child is struggling in areas in school.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The Sylvan tutors focused on both ELA and Math and they helped immensely not only in those subject areas but also overall towards school. Both of my children were tested at the beginning of the sessions and were tested at least two to three grades, almost four grades below grade level. We’ve only been there less than a year but they are all currently up to grade. Sylvan made my children’s learning experience fun enough so it was not a chore for them to learn. They will learn something at Sylvan, then a week or two later, they will learn it in school and they will be excited because they know what is going on. I have recommended Sylvan and have encouraged anyone with children that are having problems in school, not only for their basic program, but also for their STEM program and their homework help.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I used Sylvan when I was a kid and it helped me, so I figured it'd help my kids. The tutor focuses on my child's reading and phonics subjects and my child's confidence had gone up exponentially. He’s more accepting and not as frustrated. He has more focus and sees the value. If a friend asks me about Sylvan, I will tell them that they won't regret it. Sylvan Learning is very family oriented and I felt comfortable right off the bat. Everyone has been nice, not only to my son but also to myself and my daughter. Any experience that I've seen with other families has been nothing but positive as well.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I am in education and I've heard good things about Sylvan Learning. They are doing math and reading with my child and it has helped tremendously. Before we did Sylvan, I had only one child and she’s nine years old, but we had to struggle with her in Math and in her work when she comes home. Since we decided to take her to Sylvan, it has been great. She became very good in Math. Multiplication and addition bounced around her head. It was impressive. It's a big relief. She received all As in her last quarter and that was great. Using Sylvan Learning is one of the best decisions we made this year.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have my first child with Sylvan and it's been very good. My daughter is still in it and she’s getting her confidence built, which is half the battle, and she seems to be enjoying it, which is the other half of the battle.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I first heard about Sylvan through a friend and heard great things about it. The tutor focuses on my children's Math subject and helped improved it immensely. My children like to go to school now. I recommend Sylvan Learning Centers.

Original review: April 16, 2019

The tutor from Sylvan Learning and I are focusing on my child's reading and she improved drastically. She read a whole book by herself last night. She looks forward to tutoring and likes going to Sylvan Learning. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I used to have a tutoring program and I didn't want them for my daughter when she needed one. One of my daughter's guidance counselors used Sylvan and she was pleased. Their reviews also made me go with them. We got them for my daughter's math, English, and the SAT test, and we loved the tutor. My daughter really connected with her tutor who was very approachable, easy-going, and phenomenal. We had a great experience. My daughter took the PSAT before we used Sylvan and she will be retaking it in August so we're gonna reconnect with Sylvan again in June. They really helped her as far as standardized tests in general. So if you're considering them, then definitely use them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I did a Google search for math tutors because there are a lot of small colleges around this area of Burlington, Vermont. I thought there would be somebody out there who needed some extra cash, like a college student, to help my daughter with her Math and it would be easy. My daughter is 15 and I wanna know who she is associated with. When I started finding people, they were not caring so much about Math but just on making a few extra dollars. That was fine but that was not what I was looking to help my daughter improve her Math scores. I tried Sylvan and it seemed to be a good fit.

My daughter scored really high on her initial exam but she doesn’t have any confidence. Even though she could figure things out, she couldn’t take the tests in the time allotted. She would usually run over which made her embarrassed because the next kids would be coming and she would still be taking the test from the previous period. The purpose of the tutoring was to build confidence in the subject and to make her comfortable in her ability.

My daughter loves her experience with Sylvan. She actually got mad when we had to cut back to one day a week. She said she wanted to go back to two. But because she plays two sports, it got really hard. If people ask, I'd tell them why we paid Sylvan. I wasn’t sure at first, but they are helping my daughter with her grade and that’s results right there.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Sylvan Learning Centers was the closest tutoring option to my home so we went with them. The subject areas that the tutors have been focusing on were study skills and math. The tutee's confidence and his math grade have improved, and his test anxiety has become lower. Everything has been great with the tutors and they’ve been very informative. They’ve had a meeting with the tutee's math teacher at his school, along with myself, so we’re all on the same page and that has been really good. Our experience with Sylvan Learning Centers has been great and I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: April 10, 2019

After reading Sylvan's reviews online with Google, I got them for my kid. The tutor focuses on English and Mathematics and my kid's grades have come up a little bit. He doesn’t like the tutoring, though. He didn’t like reading too. But Sylvan is excellent and very professional, and they're all very nice to him. They're good people, kind and they're working hard. They also work with me if we have to miss for doctor’s. I really like them.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a tutor from Sylvan Learning Centers for our child. We had friends that recommended it. Our son’s problem was with details and they really focused in on the details for both math and reading. He is doing fine so far and he has been going to Sylvan for two years. He drives himself to the place and brings home a report of what he did for the day. We also meet with the director once a month. It has been a fantastic learning experience from Sylvan and I would highly recommend them. Our son is much more confident in both reading and math and his grades have improved significantly.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We were trying a private tutor but after two weeks, we realized that it wasn’t gonna work out. We then decided to go with Sylvan Learning Centers. My child enjoys going there. Although she would like to go every day, I couldn’t afford that, so she goes twice a week. Sylvan focuses on Math and reading. My child’s scores are going up a lot on her testing but a lot of that has to do with her self-esteem and the Sylvan tutors have done wonders with her in two months. I love them. They’ve done everything that I could think of. They even attend the IT meetings for my daughter now. They have been really helpful and have been advocating for what she needs.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My daughter has a learning disability, so I had to find somebody that could help her. We had her tested last year and the recommendation was to use Sylvan Learning Centers, but we couldn’t afford them. Although we're not doing the tutoring with them, we're now doing the Sylvan Learning at the academy where my daughter goes to school full-time with them. Everything has been wonderful in my dealings with the people at Sylvan. My daughter is a seventh grader and since she has been going to the academy, she has grown from a 1.3 grade level to the 3rd grade level. Now, she went from a 2nd grade to a 4th grade level.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have had my child in the program with Sylvan Learning for about two and a half months now and the tutor has focused on reading, comprehension, sight words, spelling, sounds, and letter sounds. My child has improved quite a lot. They were expecting him to learn one new skill per visit, but at his 30-visit assessment, he had learned 53. He is also doing much better in his reading classes at school. Though he is still shy there, they are working to help build his confidence. I can't talk good enough about Sylvan. It is absolutely wonderful. My child enjoys going there and is excited to go every day, and it has been such a great thing for him. The staff at Sylvan is amazing. They do more than just reading and math. During the summer, they have camps where you can do robotics. They also have the STEAM Program summer camp.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I'm a regional director for Sylvan, and my kids attend Sylvan. They're always our guinea pigs and they have done every Sylvan program. The tutor focused on writing with my kids, and their confidence improved. My son's writing stamina definitely increased, and he was always excited to be at Sylvan because they made the program fun and engaging. The teachers are actual teachers, and they personalize the program for the individual's needs. They initially did an assessment, so we knew exactly what he needed to work on and then, that's exactly what was focused on. They are also able to make additional adjustments, if necessary, even minute-by-minute changes. Going with Sylvan was a wonderful decision and I'd do it again.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My child is in first grade and she got 50% on her math test so I got her a tutor from Sylvan. In fact, they have helped her with her spelling homework before, but she is above grade level in reading. She does fabulous when she gets to guess with the word in English. She's a fill-in-the-blank and goes really fast. She can do and answer any recall questions you want from third-grade books. She only needs assistance with math and she has been in the program for two months. So far, she only missed three problems on her last math test.

The tutors are working with her to teach her to slow down. They are also showing her how to cover her paper so she doesn't see other numbers and get distracted. She moves too fast so when you have to be correct with math, she struggles. There is only one right answer in math and that she has to go slow and careful which is not her style. My child likes getting one-on-one attention and she likes going to math lessons. She's a very self-confident person. Overall, Sylvan's programs are very thorough and very good. They are great with her.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I heard about Sylvan Learning through a family member and online and my elder daughter went there briefly before. I had experience with Sylvan and C2 and I chose Sylvan because they were more in terms of the methods of payment. When I went to C2, it cost me more because I had to do all the amount upfront. On the other hand, Sylvan gave me a plan and in terms of payment, it was more flexible there. Moreover, I like the atmosphere and they are very professional. Sylvan is focusing on Language Arts and basic English which was where my child was having issues. Thus far, I've seen vast improvement so far in her schoolwork.

When I went there initially, her grades were terrible. She was getting 60s and 70s, but now, she is in the 80s going above, so the one-on-one focus has been doing her well. Our area of focus was mainly the English language, but she does a little math, too. She has been at Sylvan since February and she loves the environment there. She is happy, so I am happy, too.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I am very happy with Sylvan Learning. They have done amazing work with my daughter. They could say one sentence and my daughter would get it right away. Plus, she gets one-on-one attention. When we went through the teacher in school, they talked too fast and were too hyper. They were dealing with too many kids and couldn't focus as Sylvan can. Kenny, our favorite tutor, is outstanding. I've seen my daughter when she's around other kids and how she acts. She's all chatty and talky, but Kenny has a lot of patience, which is a big thing.

My daughter is getting tutoring in pre-Algebra and she is doing fractions as well. Since using Sylvan, she has felt better and her grades went up. Although it's not an A-plus, when she attacks the subject, she has a lot more confidence at doing stuff. She doesn't fear raising her hand in school and she feels okay with helping out other kids. When a kid is absent, she would voluntarily help, which she has never done before. I've spent a lot of money on Sylvan and their prices are a little high, especially when you wanna use them all the time. Their prices are fine if you just need help once here and there, but their prices should be a lot lower for people that use them regularly.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Sylvan Learning helped Carolina with reading. I saw a huge progress with that because my kids are difficult to teach. There was another lady and she's amazing. She's been helping my other daughter with time management, study habits, and confidence. She's doing incredible work with her. I also hired her to help me organize my finances, and I talked it all out with her, and she does a beautiful job.

Sylvan is expensive, but I'm getting my money's worth. I've spent $1,000 on Christina. And if she hadn't gotten a concussion, we'd be perfectly fine. She'd be golden. She has learning skills that I can't teach her because I don't have that bent in my head. I'm not capable of doing that kind of organization. So the lady has been teaching her some incredible skills. I'm going back to the tutor that I had before who was working with Carolina. And just generally because that first tutor had so much more success, so I'm gonna go ahead and beg her to take us back. Being with Sylvan, you have to have the money, but it's well worth to put the investment in the kids. I would tell others to do it. But I would tell them to be careful with the subjects, depending on their kid and how they learn.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Sylvan Learning Center Beaumont, TX - My son goes to Sylvan since he was in grade 6. Now he is a junior. He loves to go to Sylvan. The teachers are very helpful and knowledgeable. The scheduling is very flexible. I see so much improvement in my son due to Sylvan. I am very thankful to Sylvan. I will definitely recommend it.

Sylvan Learning Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs