4.69/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

312 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My son is in high school now and I wanted to make sure he got the most out of whatever it was he was doing. I took a chance with Sylvan to help him with that and the price of their tutoring service is pricey for someone that's on a fixed income. I'm a single mom, too, but I had to do something and I wanted my children to make better grades. Also, I'm 67 years old and I don't want to leave my son back here without having some background. Right now, they're helping him with English and Math, and his grades have improved so far. Being that he's 15, I've tried to let him deal with them, though I would check with him and we'd have a review before the end of the term. But so far, so good.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My daughter is going to Sylvan for Math. She feels she's doing better. She's getting an A, so she loves it and wants to keep going. The staff at Sylvan is really fantastic and super friendly. They really make it a nice experience for everybody, so they're really good.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My daughter's a little older so, I wasn't even sure that Sylvan would take her. But I made a call and when I spoke to Kathy at a location in Rogers, she was really open to everything I was wanting to share with her about my child's learning experience when she was in high school. My daughter has developmental needs so, she worked with us and she's been terrific. It was because of the interaction that I had with her that I didn't check anywhere else.

Right now, they are helping my daughter with math and reading. Those areas are what my daughter needs the most help with so, that's what we've been focused on. And so far, so good. We know it's gonna be a long-term type investment of time, but my daughter's paying attention to learn and that's one thing. But we had a complication with the way that they have to do what they're doing and it's kinda new to me. I had done things before where I felt like I was pressured about something and that got under my skin and made me wanna say no. So we have only been with Sylvan for a month but they were already bringing up the fact that in two weeks, my daughter's last day would be this day. And I knew what that meant because I'm in sales. I knew how they were choosing those words and what's the significance of saying it the way they said it. And for me, it was a turn-off. But other than that, I'm happy with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The teachers at my daughter's school suggested Sylvan Learning. The tutor focused on Math and there has been an increase in her confidence since. Overall, we have been having a good experience with Sylvan and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My older son has been improving a lot since he started with the Sylvan program. Most of the teachers are really young, but very, very responsible. They are showing great knowledge about teaching and the techniques. It’s really great working with them. I get a really good update about the improvement of my son. I’m really happy so far. My son is working on math and reading. They are also working with him on organizational skills. The Sylvan program is an excellent program to avoid learning delay on children and to keep the children up-to-date on knowledge. I like the strategies for organizational skill on children. I wish we started with Sylvan before, but we just knew about them a few months ago. But so far, I’m having a great experience with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My son needed help in school with Reading so I called Sylvan. Then, I made an appointment and got him a class. They assessed him in Reading, Math, and stuff like that and they found out he was indeed needing more focus on Reading. Now, he is reading a lot better, able to pronounce the words, and he doesn't get frustrated anymore. Peggy is the one that runs the Sylvan location that we went with and their reps are pretty good. They let me know how he's doing. Sylvan Learning is a great place and they help with whatever needs help on.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have repeatedly asked for receipts for the monies spent at the Medicine Hat, Alberta learning center. To date, nothing. I have left telephone messages. EMAIL messages. The office in Medicine Hat responded via FACEBOOK Messenger asking me for my address information which I provided. I have snapped copies of our typed messages, and I have not been rude. I would like to have my receipts, and I cannot understand why this request is being ignored. Very unprofessional and I would not recommend Sylvan Learning in Medicine Hat, Alberta, but I would encourage parent(s) to contact the Medicine Hat College for tutoring and support the low income students surviving on Student loans. College students are fantastic with the kids/children and are readily available.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Sherrie - Thanks for your feedback and for making us aware of your concern. We are so sorry that you have not gotten your receipts yet! At Sylvan, we understand how important this information is for your family. We are passing your information over to our Support Desk, who will reach out to you and help you with getting your receipts from the center. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After paying $895 for Sylvan Learning of Fort Myers' SAT Boot Camp over the summer, I expected my daughter's SAT scores to increase substantially, if not somewhat increase. My daughter didn't miss any classes, paid attention, and did all the assigned work, and her results did not reflect her hard work. Her reading score increased by only 30 points, and her Math score DECREASED by 40 points.... thus, a net "increase" of NEGATIVE 10 points from her previous SAT. That's right... Her OVERALL score actually DECREASED. If you are looking for an SAT prep course for your student - I highly recommend that you DO NOT use Sylvan, and look for a program elsewhere. My daughter and I were extremely disappointed. I since paid for a private one-on-one tutor, and she was able to increase her score enough to be accepted to her college of choice.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Fabiola - We are so sorry to hear you feel this way! At Sylvan, we want all our customers to feel the value of our services. We appreciate your feedback, and apologize that you and your daughter did not have a great experience with our SAT Boot Camp. We'd like to work with you to make things right, so a member of our Support Team will be reaching out to you to work on a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Because of our friends' recommendation, we went ahead and enrolled our child at Sylvan for spelling and reading. We had to take a month off when we had some family medical stuff come up. But she starts back with them in November and so far, she’s been doing good. In the couple of months she’s been there, she’s shown improvement. By the end of the year, she’ll have probably doubled what she’s already improved on. It’s a good deal and it's worth it. Our daughter's been better with words as well as letter and number recognition. She is also wanting to read more, like wanting to bring books and read. Before, it was like she didn’t care. She’s still not reading herself now but she really wants to be read to.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The Sylvan Learning that I used is not far from one of my homes, and there was a lot of positive feedback on them online. They focused on reading with my child. Her reading improved, and how they grade them on the different areas she needs improvement on had all gone up. We used them in the summertime, and I was so happy with the service, we transferred all her files over to another Sylvan facility located closer to where we live during the school year. She's continuing with the program, and I would highly recommend it. She's definitely feeling more confident about her reading, so that is making me feel very happy. It has been a positive experience. I have referred Sylvan already to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

With the school, you have to work with the teachers and their schedules, which is not real consistent. So Sylvan's been just great. When we make our appointments, we would show up and Hailey, my daughter, has a great experience and enjoys the active learning. My daughter is working on her reading comprehension. The staff there is very sweet. They’re very knowledgeable and I feel like we have a partnership. I provide them with how Hailey's doing and help show them where she’s still struggling inside the classroom, and wait for them to give me some advice because they’re all teachers as well. I would recommend Sylvan. Hailey’s confidence in reading is improving. She’s starting to be a little bit more animated in how she reads a story instead of just reading the words and that's attributed to Sylvan working with us.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My little grandson is 12 years old and he is way behind in his learning because of behavior at school that's why I take him to Sylvan. They have a pretty good price and my grandson goes there two hours a week. The tutor is very thorough and she keeps my grandson's attention. He has really improved a lot just on his reading but they do the math too. He also explained with me that the tutor would watch everything he does, and the tutor would point out the things that he did wrong so he could correct it right then. He is more comfortable in that setting. It's like a one-on-one base thing and he doesn't have that in a regular school. In a full-time school, they would have him in a special ed class, and he gets very frustrated and have a lot of anxiety issues due to his dad passing away.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I used Kumon before and it's a world of difference with Sylvan. My daughter enjoys going there. Last week was our last day and she was asking when she was going again. We just started in the summer and my daughter's having such a positive experience. With Kumon it was more an assembly line type thing that all these kids would go through. It was great when my kid was doing fine with school but when I thought she needed some more help and more attention like with Math, we didn’t have the time to do that. I didn’t have the time to sit down and explain things because it's workbooks at Kumon. But in Sylvan they take the time to explain stuff.

I focused more in language in the summertime but now, I'm focusing on Math. They were great accommodating me with that. My work schedule is not traditional. I work two weeks evening, two weeks days. They're excellent with finding time to schedule in my daughter, Electra, whenever I needed to. My daughter is happy and if I'm seeing an improvement, I'm happy.

Sylvan is also very hands-on. I left in August saying that I would come back but I wasn't sure because my daughter was also in competitive dance, so she was very busy. I got an email in the middle of September from Michelle of Sylvan, asking how things were and just wanted to touch base with me. It was great because we weren’t going there for that month. I really like the communication they have with the parent and that's a big deal for me. If I feel like I'm getting that and they're not listening to my needs for my kid, then that's a big deal. Whatever she needs help with is what they're assisting with, which I really like.

So try Sylvan. I get a lot from parents in the waiting room. I've only been there a few months, so I always ask and it's the same thing. The lady next to me has a teenager there and she enjoys going so they wanna come back. Not every kid enjoys school and getting tutoring, so it's nice that it's a very positive atmosphere which I like. Sylvan works on that and tries to get to the positive point which gives them encouragement, especially since my kid doesn’t work well with negative reinforcement. The tutors are great. I'm really happy with Sylvan.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We hired a private tutor who tried to help my child with any course that he had. My child didn't improve with him so I went to Sylvan Learning. They've been helpful. They are over the top. They went back to where my son lost the connection, and they're building on that. Then, in school, when he has a report that he needs to be done, they help him step by step --- it's huge when there's a one-on-one versus a 30-to-1. My son loves going there. He wants to succeed and he can see that they're helping him.

I had a great experience with Sylvan Learning Centers. They communicate all the time. Anytime I email them, they email me right back. The teachers have my cellphone and they communicate to me if there's an issue. They tell me how my son is doing. If I have any problems at school, I relay it to them, and they work on it and help him.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Sylvan Learning made my daughter more confident in school and her grades have gone up. The tutor helped her with her focus and it caught her up 'cause she was a little behind. I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Sylvan's hours were really good after school hours and it had a lot of flexibility. I could reschedule if things come up within 24 hours. My child was having issues with writing and we did a year with Sylvan where the tutor organized and planned their essays. My child didn't want to continue doing it anymore and we felt that he had improved in school, so we took him out. I've recommended Sylvan Learning to friends and several friends are doing it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Peter, Sylvan Learning's tutor, has been very good, professional, and accommodating when we have to change times. We ask our daughter every week how she was doing and she said he was making her read and answer questions for two hours, four times a week, which is good enough for me. She is able to do her homework on her own without any help from me and my wife. She also has more confidence in reading comprehension. I'd tell other parents to consider Sylvan Learning if their child needs tutoring.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Sylvan Learning got a good reputation and my nephew went to them years and years ago. They were good and if we could afford it, we would keep our child, who has ADDH in it. The tutor focus on Math and our child said he understood and they taught him in a way that he could understand. He seems to be focusing a little bit on it and he can comprehend. If he can just focus his attention, he'd do good. I'd highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I'm much happier with the experience we had at Sylvan than prior tutoring options we had. My daughter needed help in math and reading and now, her confidence went up. She looked forward to her tutoring sessions with her Sylvan teacher each week and is really happy with it overall. It's been an excellent experience. So, I highly recommend Sylvan and I already did.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I’m discontented with the public school. I visited another private school here and I didn’t see a lot of difference. It was very crowded. My next stop was Sylvan. We went to visit the classroom, and I liked what I saw. Also, the director was very knowledgeable, and Sylvan seemed like a good fit for us. My child attends the academy, which is a full-time school, so he gets all his subjects. His learning experience has been wonderful. School is fun there. They are busy all the time, and he looks forward to coming every day. His grades are good, too. It’s well worth the money. Come and have a look at Sylvan. You will be pleased with it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My daughter has reading and spelling with Sylvan and she's starting to comprehend a little bit better and starting to recognize her phonics. Her experience has also been good 'cause she's excited to go and doesn't want to leave when I pick her up. I would recommend Sylvan and give my friends the card to the one to go to.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Sylvan was the only one that had the robotics course for my son. My son's teacher was fantastic. She and my son were very hands-on. She emailed all the things they accomplished that day. My son needs to read more things about legwork courses for science and engineering for kids. He liked the course. He wants to keep going with it. He wants to take more. Sylvan is definitely worth it. Our experience was amazing.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My daughter has a learning delay and I needed some professional help for her reading and math. At Sylvan, they focused on just reading. She still struggles, just a little, with basic concepts because we have to get her all caught up but she does well with Sylvan and she is reading more fluently now. Sylvan has great service. Their reps are very hands-on and my daughter loves the rewards that she gets from it. So, that’s a great incentive for her in her learning curve.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My children like their experience with Sylvan a lot. One of my children has Reading and Writing and the other one has Math. My daughter who's doing Math seems to understand word problems a lot better and I hope that's from Sylvan 'cause it's expensive. They see their tutor once a week and they like the instructors, using the tablets and the reward system. The kids enjoy Sylvan a lot more and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

With Sylvan Learning, the kid has to do the writing and the exercise or go through the instruction. He would not come home with packets or other things he has to complete at home and then fall behind because he would struggle to write or to complete the tasks. The instructors are more prepared or knowledgeable of the different ways of interacting with the kids. My son liked going there to work with most of the teachers. They found a way to motivate him and keep him on task. He already got the most offerings in the center here. In math, he got the fundamentals. In writing, he had to have reading comprehension and organization skills flow into it which took some time. He learned how to structure his ideas and approach the text. With the combination of skills in school, he’d learn to organize his thoughts and approach and break down his projects or other things in parts, instead of being scared of them as one big thing to do.

The Sylvan center transferred to a new location, and with that, they also brought new staff and it was a disaster. I was disappointed. I already got the package of hours and the new system or teachers, and the demonstration was so disorganized that my son almost refused to go and I was very close to asking for my money back. Ben put my son in San Ramon because he thought that since my son is already a little older and in high school, he was going to put him in the writing program that he already had finished even with extra hours to start from the fourth grade. Then Sylvan put in Jennifer in San Ramon. She has eyes at things for reading comprehension and critical thinking with the text in writing. That really motivated my son and helped him go through this and he’s been quite successful in high school now. In the beginning, his career had been quite turbulent and when they left him, it went great.

Education is a slow process in every individual. Sylvan has a lot of twists and turns to find or accommodate, but overall the system works. I'd tell others to interview different centers to see where they fit. That is a good program but it needs to have a good comprehension of what their kid needs and what can be offered instead of buying into the pre-planned packet of hours and all the skills that he needs to go over.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Sylvan Learning Centers has done a fantastic job with my daughter. They are close to our house so it has worked out with them. The tutor focused on the subject areas of reading, math, science, and history with her, and they also did some Spanish. For my daughter to improve in those subject areas, the tutor helped her with reading comprehension and with basic facts and word problems in math. We've been using Sylvan for two years and since we obtained a tutor through them, my daughter has had a better attitude and she has been encouraged. Her self-esteem has been helped as well. I would recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We were using the K State reading program where we went to a summer school program and my son read books and then had a one-hour class. Sylvan Learning, on the other hand, is a little more detailed compared to that program. The tutor focused on English and has been helping my son work on his writing, comprehension and reading. My son's learning experience has been positive and his writing has definitely improved. I would recommend Sylvan Learning Centers.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We’ve stuck with Sylvan for years because it’s been consistently the best thing in town for us. They’re really reliable. Over the years, we have developed a relationship with them, almost an extended family. The kids can talk about what they feel and how things are going. It is an extension of our regular life, so we never feel the need to go shopping for more here in Honolulu. We were out of town for several years and part of the things of coming back was signing up for weekly courses with them again.

My son was in an AP program in the mainland and I’m homeschooling him. He’s older and he's a middle schooler. He comes to Sylvan for support, so we don’t veer off the common curriculum and they can reach out and help the gifted kids. When he was in second grade, we had a horrible time at school. He was in a nice private school, but he was being bullied. He didn’t need help with math. He needed more. Sylvan provided that extra step. He was better than any of his peers in school and they were giving him not only intellectual stimulation but the reassurance. As a mom, you can reassure them so much that they’re doing well and that it’s not their problem. However, they need to hear it from other people and Sylvan gave him what he needed.

We do the tutorials once a week. Sylvan is pricey but had I been able to afford more, I would have sent him more often. Years ago, he had some emotional support, besides academic support, from the tutors at Sylvan and that really carried a long way. We mostly focused on math, which is the wobbliest possible content in the public school system and occasionally English. My son is very good at STEM topics but he’s not good at writing essays. He’s very slow on putting things together and the Sylvan tutors are very good at tailoring things to the needs of the kids. They also help my daughter who tends to be behind on school topics.

There is a need to complement public education and, right now, they’re helping my son prepare for SSAT. They also have summer programs for kids and they go out. Being in Hawaii, they have trips to plantations. They offer fun stuff that is also hands-on learning and it looks like they really try to cover all areas. We’re glad Sylvan is here and they are really necessary. It’s worth going to them, and they’re very supportive. They will try to understand the needs of your kid and they will work towards accomplishing them. I have recommended them to friends.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Our daughter was getting extra tutoring from school prior to Sylvan. But she's now undergoing tutorials for reading at Sylvan and it's better because she’s getting more one-on-one instruction whereas at the school it’s a bunch of students. Aside from the improvement that we have noticed in the said area, we’ve also noticed an overall improvement in her confidence within herself and in her ability to try and read. Sylvan Learning seems to have good programs and experienced teachers. Also, we had a really good meeting with them at the center where we go here in Goodyear, Arizona. Sylvan is worth looking into.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I had Sylvan Learning tutor my son and focus on his reading and writing. I liked that they had it set up to where we could come in and make up our own schedule. My son was there for about a month and I was barely starting to notice changes. Then I brought him out because Sylvan was too far for me and a little pricey. On top of that, I found a schoolteacher that was willing to tutor him that was right around the corner from my house. But overall, my experience with Sylvan was good and if I didn’t have a schoolteacher tutoring my son, I would take him back to Sylvan.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information