4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

318 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was looking into Reading classes for my daughter and I went with Sylvan Learning. They keep the same curriculum but it was not always the same tutor. Since using their services, my daughter has improved big time to the point that she is already at her learning level. We just kept going to see them to keep the learning experience. I would highly recommend Sylvan. We got results, and when I had a concern, they helped me go through it. I always consider Sylvan Learning as a possibility in case I need it too.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The reps are friendly and they're a very good fit for my son. I've noticed an improvement in him since he started using Sylvan Learning. It is a very good place. I'd recommend it to others.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I went to Sylvan for SAT preparation. They told us we needed 2 books $25 each. I start my prep course and the location owner was over enthusiastic about what she thinks I can get. She said I can get 200+ easy. There were times where I was sitting there waiting for them to pay attention to me. I asked for help and they didn't give it to me. I asked how to do a certain math problem and it took not 1 but 2 "tutors" to attempt it. They never came to a conclusion. I had to ask for help with strategy and they didn't give me any. I spent one day with 1 one tutor trying to help me, an 8th grader, and a 2nd grader all at once.

I took a practice test through Khan Academy and got a score 40 points lower than what I got on my first test. I told the location manager that I needed to redirect our time. She then told me that they were wrong. The College Board (they created the SAT) suggests the help of Khan Academy and they were apparently wrong. I then asked for a Sylvan version and she never sent it to me. I asked again the next week and when I brought it back she said my score went up 90 points. I was falsely confident. There were many occasions when I asked for additional days before the exam and they just didn't respond to my emails. My father emailed them confirming tutoring days and it took 3 tries to get someone to email us back.

Finally the test day arrived and I felt so confident, but this is short lived as I received my score and my score went down 10 points. We focused on the English section and it went down. My math score stayed the same. I will have one more chance to take the sat before my applications are due. I am not returning to Sylvan. This is a waste of time, money, and effort. I worked for an hour on SAT prep everyday and I got worse. Avoid Sylvan.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Meredith - Thank you for your feedback about your experience with our SAT prep program. We are so sorry that you did not have a better prep experience with us! At Sylvan, we strive to help each of our student's meet his or her individual goals, and we apologize that we did not meet yours. We'd like to make things right, so we've sent you a message with more information about our Support Team, who would be happy to work with you to find a solution. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We got into Sylvan when we needed homework help for my child. I prefer Sylvan than the other place I looked at because it was more affordable, and it was not intimidating. It was very easy to enroll with Sylvan. They were really responsive and everything was great. My son's main struggle was there was a lot of writing assigned this year. He doesn't like the subject and the assignment. Instead of me having to try to fight with my kid to get the work done, being in Sylvan's program and that environment, he had no choice but to get started.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I heard good things about Sylvan Learning Centers. Plus, a very close friend of ours works there, so I got my son a tutor there. He is in 5th grade and he’s been having problems in science and math. Assessment was done and they focused on strengths and weaknesses. And when he had problems in his homework area, they were able to have him bring his homework in. They looked at what he was having issues with and went over that with him. He likes going there and he finds it to be very helpful. If he’s having issues in a different subject, like if something comes up in another subject, he likes that they will change the focus for whatever he needs.

I’d also like to give credit to Aynsley because she’s been very helpful in working with our very busy schedule. She’s at the Rochester Sylvan at Rochester, Minnesota. Overall, Sylvan is awesome and their service is worth the money. They're also very flexible and they have programs to fit everyone’s needs. Working with them has been really good for my child. He has been learning with them and his teachers in school have seen him be more willing to ask questions and willing to ask for help now, which he didn't do before. So, that’s good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My daughter's fiance and his brother went to Sylvan for a few years when they were younger and they liked it. So, I decided to try their service for my child. They're helping him with reading and his tutor has been good. He's getting there and I have seen a little bit of improvement so far. His tutor is trying to work with him on remembering as he's having a hard time remembering words. He could tell a word then the next time he'd see that same word, he wouldn't know it. So, that's what we're working on. My son hit it off with his teacher at Sylvan and he really enjoys going there.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My son is in high school now and I wanted to make sure he got the most out of whatever it was he was doing. I took a chance with Sylvan to help him with that and the price of their tutoring service is pricey for someone that's on a fixed income. I'm a single mom, too, but I had to do something and I wanted my children to make better grades. Also, I'm 67 years old and I don't want to leave my son back here without having some background. Right now, they're helping him with English and Math, and his grades have improved so far. Being that he's 15, I've tried to let him deal with them, though I would check with him and we'd have a review before the end of the term. But so far, so good.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My daughter is going to Sylvan for Math. She feels she's doing better. She's getting an A, so she loves it and wants to keep going. The staff at Sylvan is really fantastic and super friendly. They really make it a nice experience for everybody, so they're really good.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My daughter's a little older so, I wasn't even sure that Sylvan would take her. But I made a call and when I spoke to Kathy at a location in Rogers, she was really open to everything I was wanting to share with her about my child's learning experience when she was in high school. My daughter has developmental needs so, she worked with us and she's been terrific. It was because of the interaction that I had with her that I didn't check anywhere else.

Right now, they are helping my daughter with math and reading. Those areas are what my daughter needs the most help with so, that's what we've been focused on. And so far, so good. We know it's gonna be a long-term type investment of time, but my daughter's paying attention to learn and that's one thing. But we had a complication with the way that they have to do what they're doing and it's kinda new to me. I had done things before where I felt like I was pressured about something and that got under my skin and made me wanna say no. So we have only been with Sylvan for a month but they were already bringing up the fact that in two weeks, my daughter's last day would be this day. And I knew what that meant because I'm in sales. I knew how they were choosing those words and what's the significance of saying it the way they said it. And for me, it was a turn-off. But other than that, I'm happy with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

The teachers at my daughter's school suggested Sylvan Learning. The tutor focused on Math and there has been an increase in her confidence since. Overall, we have been having a good experience with Sylvan and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

My older son has been improving a lot since he started with the Sylvan program. Most of the teachers are really young, but very, very responsible. They are showing great knowledge about teaching and the techniques. It’s really great working with them. I get a really good update about the improvement of my son. I’m really happy so far. My son is working on math and reading. They are also working with him on organizational skills. The Sylvan program is an excellent program to avoid learning delay on children and to keep the children up-to-date on knowledge. I like the strategies for organizational skill on children. I wish we started with Sylvan before, but we just knew about them a few months ago. But so far, I’m having a great experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My son needed help in school with Reading so I called Sylvan. Then, I made an appointment and got him a class. They assessed him in Reading, Math, and stuff like that and they found out he was indeed needing more focus on Reading. Now, he is reading a lot better, able to pronounce the words, and he doesn't get frustrated anymore. Peggy is the one that runs the Sylvan location that we went with and their reps are pretty good. They let me know how he's doing. Sylvan Learning is a great place and they help with whatever needs help on.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have repeatedly asked for receipts for the monies spent at the Medicine Hat, Alberta learning center. To date, nothing. I have left telephone messages. EMAIL messages. The office in Medicine Hat responded via FACEBOOK Messenger asking me for my address information which I provided. I have snapped copies of our typed messages, and I have not been rude. I would like to have my receipts, and I cannot understand why this request is being ignored. Very unprofessional and I would not recommend Sylvan Learning in Medicine Hat, Alberta, but I would encourage parent(s) to contact the Medicine Hat College for tutoring and support the low income students surviving on Student loans. College students are fantastic with the kids/children and are readily available.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Sherrie - Thanks for your feedback and for making us aware of your concern. We are so sorry that you have not gotten your receipts yet! At Sylvan, we understand how important this information is for your family. We are passing your information over to our Support Desk, who will reach out to you and help you with getting your receipts from the center. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After paying $895 for Sylvan Learning of Fort Myers' SAT Boot Camp over the summer, I expected my daughter's SAT scores to increase substantially, if not somewhat increase. My daughter didn't miss any classes, paid attention, and did all the assigned work, and her results did not reflect her hard work. Her reading score increased by only 30 points, and her Math score DECREASED by 40 points.... thus, a net "increase" of NEGATIVE 10 points from her previous SAT. That's right... Her OVERALL score actually DECREASED. If you are looking for an SAT prep course for your student - I highly recommend that you DO NOT use Sylvan, and look for a program elsewhere. My daughter and I were extremely disappointed. I since paid for a private one-on-one tutor, and she was able to increase her score enough to be accepted to her college of choice.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Fabiola - We are so sorry to hear you feel this way! At Sylvan, we want all our customers to feel the value of our services. We appreciate your feedback, and apologize that you and your daughter did not have a great experience with our SAT Boot Camp. We'd like to work with you to make things right, so a member of our Support Team will be reaching out to you to work on a resolution.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Because of our friends' recommendation, we went ahead and enrolled our child at Sylvan for spelling and reading. We had to take a month off when we had some family medical stuff come up. But she starts back with them in November and so far, she’s been doing good. In the couple of months she’s been there, she’s shown improvement. By the end of the year, she’ll have probably doubled what she’s already improved on. It’s a good deal and it's worth it. Our daughter's been better with words as well as letter and number recognition. She is also wanting to read more, like wanting to bring books and read. Before, it was like she didn’t care. She’s still not reading herself now but she really wants to be read to.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The Sylvan Learning that I used is not far from one of my homes, and there was a lot of positive feedback on them online. They focused on reading with my child. Her reading improved, and how they grade them on the different areas she needs improvement on had all gone up. We used them in the summertime, and I was so happy with the service, we transferred all her files over to another Sylvan facility located closer to where we live during the school year. She's continuing with the program, and I would highly recommend it. She's definitely feeling more confident about her reading, so that is making me feel very happy. It has been a positive experience. I have referred Sylvan already to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

With the school, you have to work with the teachers and their schedules, which is not real consistent. So Sylvan's been just great. When we make our appointments, we would show up and Hailey, my daughter, has a great experience and enjoys the active learning. My daughter is working on her reading comprehension. The staff there is very sweet. They’re very knowledgeable and I feel like we have a partnership. I provide them with how Hailey's doing and help show them where she’s still struggling inside the classroom, and wait for them to give me some advice because they’re all teachers as well. I would recommend Sylvan. Hailey’s confidence in reading is improving. She’s starting to be a little bit more animated in how she reads a story instead of just reading the words and that's attributed to Sylvan working with us.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

My little grandson is 12 years old and he is way behind in his learning because of behavior at school that's why I take him to Sylvan. They have a pretty good price and my grandson goes there two hours a week. The tutor is very thorough and she keeps my grandson's attention. He has really improved a lot just on his reading but they do the math too. He also explained with me that the tutor would watch everything he does, and the tutor would point out the things that he did wrong so he could correct it right then. He is more comfortable in that setting. It's like a one-on-one base thing and he doesn't have that in a regular school. In a full-time school, they would have him in a special ed class, and he gets very frustrated and have a lot of anxiety issues due to his dad passing away.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I used Kumon before and it's a world of difference with Sylvan. My daughter enjoys going there. Last week was our last day and she was asking when she was going again. We just started in the summer and my daughter's having such a positive experience. With Kumon it was more an assembly line type thing that all these kids would go through. It was great when my kid was doing fine with school but when I thought she needed some more help and more attention like with Math, we didn’t have the time to do that. I didn’t have the time to sit down and explain things because it's workbooks at Kumon. But in Sylvan they take the time to explain stuff.

I focused more in language in the summertime but now, I'm focusing on Math. They were great accommodating me with that. My work schedule is not traditional. I work two weeks evening, two weeks days. They're excellent with finding time to schedule in my daughter, Electra, whenever I needed to. My daughter is happy and if I'm seeing an improvement, I'm happy.

Sylvan is also very hands-on. I left in August saying that I would come back but I wasn't sure because my daughter was also in competitive dance, so she was very busy. I got an email in the middle of September from Michelle of Sylvan, asking how things were and just wanted to touch base with me. It was great because we weren’t going there for that month. I really like the communication they have with the parent and that's a big deal for me. If I feel like I'm getting that and they're not listening to my needs for my kid, then that's a big deal. Whatever she needs help with is what they're assisting with, which I really like.

So try Sylvan. I get a lot from parents in the waiting room. I've only been there a few months, so I always ask and it's the same thing. The lady next to me has a teenager there and she enjoys going so they wanna come back. Not every kid enjoys school and getting tutoring, so it's nice that it's a very positive atmosphere which I like. Sylvan works on that and tries to get to the positive point which gives them encouragement, especially since my kid doesn’t work well with negative reinforcement. The tutors are great. I'm really happy with Sylvan.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We hired a private tutor who tried to help my child with any course that he had. My child didn't improve with him so I went to Sylvan Learning. They've been helpful. They are over the top. They went back to where my son lost the connection, and they're building on that. Then, in school, when he has a report that he needs to be done, they help him step by step --- it's huge when there's a one-on-one versus a 30-to-1. My son loves going there. He wants to succeed and he can see that they're helping him.

I had a great experience with Sylvan Learning Centers. They communicate all the time. Anytime I email them, they email me right back. The teachers have my cellphone and they communicate to me if there's an issue. They tell me how my son is doing. If I have any problems at school, I relay it to them, and they work on it and help him.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Sylvan Learning made my daughter more confident in school and her grades have gone up. The tutor helped her with her focus and it caught her up 'cause she was a little behind. I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Sylvan's hours were really good after school hours and it had a lot of flexibility. I could reschedule if things come up within 24 hours. My child was having issues with writing and we did a year with Sylvan where the tutor organized and planned their essays. My child didn't want to continue doing it anymore and we felt that he had improved in school, so we took him out. I've recommended Sylvan Learning to friends and several friends are doing it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Peter, Sylvan Learning's tutor, has been very good, professional, and accommodating when we have to change times. We ask our daughter every week how she was doing and she said he was making her read and answer questions for two hours, four times a week, which is good enough for me. She is able to do her homework on her own without any help from me and my wife. She also has more confidence in reading comprehension. I'd tell other parents to consider Sylvan Learning if their child needs tutoring.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Sylvan Learning got a good reputation and my nephew went to them years and years ago. They were good and if we could afford it, we would keep our child, who has ADDH in it. The tutor focus on Math and our child said he understood and they taught him in a way that he could understand. He seems to be focusing a little bit on it and he can comprehend. If he can just focus his attention, he'd do good. I'd highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I'm much happier with the experience we had at Sylvan than prior tutoring options we had. My daughter needed help in math and reading and now, her confidence went up. She looked forward to her tutoring sessions with her Sylvan teacher each week and is really happy with it overall. It's been an excellent experience. So, I highly recommend Sylvan and I already did.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I’m discontented with the public school. I visited another private school here and I didn’t see a lot of difference. It was very crowded. My next stop was Sylvan. We went to visit the classroom, and I liked what I saw. Also, the director was very knowledgeable, and Sylvan seemed like a good fit for us. My child attends the academy, which is a full-time school, so he gets all his subjects. His learning experience has been wonderful. School is fun there. They are busy all the time, and he looks forward to coming every day. His grades are good, too. It’s well worth the money. Come and have a look at Sylvan. You will be pleased with it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My daughter has reading and spelling with Sylvan and she's starting to comprehend a little bit better and starting to recognize her phonics. Her experience has also been good 'cause she's excited to go and doesn't want to leave when I pick her up. I would recommend Sylvan and give my friends the card to the one to go to.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Sylvan was the only one that had the robotics course for my son. My son's teacher was fantastic. She and my son were very hands-on. She emailed all the things they accomplished that day. My son needs to read more things about legwork courses for science and engineering for kids. He liked the course. He wants to keep going with it. He wants to take more. Sylvan is definitely worth it. Our experience was amazing.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My daughter has a learning delay and I needed some professional help for her reading and math. At Sylvan, they focused on just reading. She still struggles, just a little, with basic concepts because we have to get her all caught up but she does well with Sylvan and she is reading more fluently now. Sylvan has great service. Their reps are very hands-on and my daughter loves the rewards that she gets from it. So, that’s a great incentive for her in her learning curve.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My children like their experience with Sylvan a lot. One of my children has Reading and Writing and the other one has Math. My daughter who's doing Math seems to understand word problems a lot better and I hope that's from Sylvan 'cause it's expensive. They see their tutor once a week and they like the instructors, using the tablets and the reward system. The kids enjoy Sylvan a lot more and I would recommend them.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information