2. Education
  3. Tutoring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.56/5

Keep the learning going and skills sharp with Sylvan's proven, digital curriculum, now available with live, online tutoring sessions! Your local Sylvan's caring, expert teachers are here to help your child succeed (right from your home)! Programs for every need and budget: Tutoring for math, reading, writing, test prep, and more!

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Sylvan's cost and availability on dates I needed made me go with them. How soon they could start also played a role in the decision. My child needed a tutor for reading. The learning experience through them has been organized, logical and structured, and their professionals have been customer-friendly. We are still working on it, but we are making improvement with fluency and comprehension. Overall, it seems to work.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

The teaching staff are excellent and the experience as a whole is excellent. I would highly recommend this as a tutoring option for anyone studying. Adult student and public and secondary student. I have seen such improvement words can not describe how indebted to the success of my children I am to Sylvan. The results are life changing.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Sylvan had great reviews online, so I went with them. The tutor focused on math with my child. They helped with math homework and they went over some exams. My son loves the experience. The professionals there have been good, friendly and always on time. Overall, Sylvan is a great opportunity that others should take advantage of, especially if their child needs it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I heard good things about Sylvan so I had them to tutor my child on reading. He did the testing so they could see where he is at, so that they would know how to work with him. I'm trying to get him the help he needs and the learning experience so far is good, seeing that he needs some work. Sylvan is a nice place to take your child to get the help they need.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When I registered for my son for Sylvan's ACT classes, I paid them. He has the test in June and he goes over there every Saturday. After that, they said that my son was not good at English. I paid for English classes for my son and they put the ACT classes on hold. They said the classes are gonna come back in March. After that, my son told me he wanted to take the test in April. I called and talked with someone. I told her to have Tuesdays for ACT classes and Saturdays for English classes. But yesterday, my son came home and told me they didn’t focus on ACT, but on English. English classes are on Saturdays already. Why does my son need the four hours for the English class? Other than that, they treat my son very well and if he goes there, he’s very happy. They have the knowledge and they're improving his knowledge in the time they teach him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When I talked to Sylvan, I liked the people I was talking to. I had a good initial interview so I went with them. I would recommend them. The tutor focussed on my child's math and it's good so far. We're only a couple of months in and I noticed there's definite improvement in understanding.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Sylvan is definitely a prudent option for children who are underachieving. I feel like their people are caring. I have used them in the past and this time, I focussed on reading.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

We sent my older daughter to Sylvan Learning Center about six years ago. My niece started there and she did very well, so we enrolled my daughter and she did well, too. And the location was convenient at that time. My child was having a hard time comprehending the process in Algebra, but her experience was positive. She seemed pleased with her teacher and she brought her grades up to grade levels. I would highly recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I've used a different tutoring option prior to Sylvan, and Sylvan is better. They give me more options. My daughter is enrolled with them and currently, they’re focusing on English and phonics. We just had our progress meeting the other day and she’s gotten much better. I also got her report card yesterday and her grades have increased by one level. So, they're meeting my expectations. Sylvan is a little pricey, but worth it. Their employees are very professional, patient, and nice. I feel valued.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I’ve heard the name Sylvan and they’ve been around a good long time. Two of my friends have used them for their children, so I started with them and didn’t look anywhere else. My son has tutoring for reading, language, and grammar, and it’s made a great improvement. He just said this week that he has gained so much confidence, and he really feels like he knows what he’s doing now. And looking at some of the work he did three weeks ago, he said, “Yeah, I was really dumb back then.” So, I said, “Oh. Well, maybe we can prove it now.” He said, “Oh, yeah. I can totally do this.” And he just settled in right off. So, it’s a huge difference. Sylvan targeted what’s really the problem and they do the testing. They can really see where the deficiencies are. The schedule is really good as well. It’s not too much at one time. They targeted improvement and that’s where it really helps.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Sylvan has been working on closing my child's first grade gap. He's in the second grade right now but he has never closed some gaps previously. They're working on Reading, Math and Writing and so far, my child's handwriting skill has gotten better. When he brought his test papers home last week, he had perfect scores on everything but one. Sylvan a good program to use.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Sylvan meets my particular daughter’s needs better than the other tutoring service did. They are very friendly and encouraging. They tailor their curriculum to meet her specific needs and abilities. My daughter is making progress. If you can afford the time and the expense, it’s a great opportunity.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Prior to Sylvan, I had a couple of other options where one was private tutoring and another one was something similar to Kumon. What sold me on Sylvan was a combination of Jackie, who I spoke with over there, and the seemingly more holistic approach as opposed to one subject. Unfortunately, there was one of the subjects that nobody can help me with. But my kids are in Mandarin, so that’s really tough to find a tutor for.

We’re still midway in tutoring and it’s trying to focus on study skills and things of that nature. I’m not 100% sure and we haven’t been there quite that long to definitely say, “Yes, there’s a difference,” or “no, there’s not a difference.” But there are little differences here and there although not huge, drastic differences. At this point, taking it to a private tutoring would not be something my kids could really do, or if they did, then the cost would go up drastically. With the group tutoring, it’s not that bad even if it’s still a little high in cost. All in all, I can see the potential in the future for going with Sylvan.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

So far, it's been going really well. My son likes it. They're doing reading and writing. Sylvan is teaching him more about using details and sentence structure. We've been doing the program for almost two months now and my son is definitely more confident. The program that they use really drives my son. It's helpful. He doesn't wanna stop going because he loves the incentives.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Sylvan wasn’t as expensive as the others in the area. A teacher recommended them and a co-worker of mine, whose child was the same age as mine, saw good things with them. So, I had two recommendations. The tutor focused on reading and a little comprehension. She was very patient with my child, and helped build her confidence too. Sylvan is a safe and loving environment for the kids. And even when the kid’s having a bad day, they find ways to work around and still incorporate learning in a different way, other than just sitting at the table or going over things. My child likes the point system where they can collect coins a little too much, and I always have to have a talk with her. "Save your points. We’re not picking anything today."

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My husband and I used Sylvan when we were younger and it was a good experience for us. We enrolled our daughter with them and she’s been attending for a month or two now. They’re focusing on reading and writing. They’ve been doing different lessons and they use tiles that have upper case and lower case. The learning experience seems good so far. She’s doing well and she’s gotten a little bit better in school. So, there’s an improvement ‘cause of Sylvan. She also really likes the rewarding and she’s excited every time she leaves for her lessons. I would recommend Sylvan. It’s a good place and they have passionate workers, which makes all the difference.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

My son and daughter both had a hard time with reading, letter recognition and sound. They were not doing good for their group, for kindergarten and first grade. And so, I was told they might have to stay back. I didn’t want that to happen so we went to Sylvan. My son went there first, and now, my daughter is attending there. I've had great results with my son, and I've already seen improvements with my daughter. We definitely enjoyed. Sylvan is very flexible. I'm in the military and sometimes, my time would change. If I message or call them, they find me another time slot to bring my daughter. They work with me very well. I appreciate that.

My kids are doing reading and they are attentive the whole time. When I tried studying with them at home, they would just have a tantrum at home and there was always crying. My daughter also felt like being punished. That was what also drove me to go and find outside help. I told them we were going to tutoring and they were so excited. Sylvan uses the tablet sometimes and they do different techniques with my kids. My kids seem to enjoy it other than studying with me.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

At the time that we went with Sylvan, they were running a special so the price was right for us. My son hasn’t been there very long and his confidence has gone up tremendously. He is now starting to sound out words, which is really nice. He wasn’t able to do that before. He does collect his points and he really enjoys picking something out with them. Sylvan has a price board of some sort. I would definitely recommend Sylvan to anybody whose kids are having problems with reading. They make the biggest difference in a child, the way they view themselves. My son would wake up in the morning and just cry that he didn’t wanna go to school. Now, I have no problem waking him up and getting him up for school.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Friends of ours were successful with Sylvan and they liked them. They referred us to them and I trusted their referral. My son is in third grade and he's a good student but he struggles with reading. The tutoring made him read better. One can hear it when he reads and he has a positive attitude. He's ecstatic about it. They're meeting twice a week for two hours and the one on one helped him. While we have just started the writing, there's a lot of improvement already in reading.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My son was to take the SAT and needed help in only the math section. He didn’t have enough time to take the full amount of courses before his test date so we bought max that he could fit in before the test. Well of course something came up (a car issue) and my son didn’t know he had to call in advance to let them know, and since he was already cramming all the class times in that he could before the date he couldn’t make it up before the test. There were never fewer than 2 other children in the class so him not being there would not change the fact that the tutor had to be there.

His SAT score only went a few points, but he liked the tutoring and we tried to get him in for the one hour he missed after the test...but they wouldn’t allow him to have it. Which I feel is bad customer service when you’re paying so much money and you paid all upfront and a 17 year old kid had car trouble and didn’t realize he had to call in to cancel. They should have let him join a class to get in that last hour that we paid for. And while I can see how it would help if you were taking it long term...it’s cost prohibitive to take long term for anyone who is living on a modest income.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hello Pamela - Thank you for getting in touch about this, we appreciate your honest feedback. We're sorry to hear you had this experience with us! We'd like to try and help, so we've sent you a message with more details about how to get in touch with our Support Team. Again, thanks for letting us know about your experience!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

My granddaughter has been attending Sylvan Learning for a couple of months and she has really improved especially with her spelling. She is excited to go every week and her confidence has been boosted. School is a lot more fun as she definitely feels valued by her peers and her teachers. I am so pleased with how Sylvan Learning engages with both the families and the students.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I have been in Sylvan for more than half a year now, and I found out that my English had improved a lot and that is why I can write this review no problem at all. I will definitely recommend Sylvan Learning, especially the one in White Rock.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My son is autistic but Sylvan had no problem accommodating him. They weren’t stressed out about it. They did one-on-one tutoring with him, focusing on reading, and they pulled out all the stops. He actually learned how to read better through the summer than he is now through his school. If it wasn’t so pricey, I would probably have him at Sylvan through the year. But I can only do it for the summer to teach him on his reading before school. We are thinking about homeschooling him and having him tutored at Sylvan. They’re really good. The school system should look into them. If you’re gonna talk about how you don't want to have all these dropouts, then they should pull out all the stops.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

A friend had mentioned to me that they knew several people that used Sylvan that had good results. So, I also went with them for my 10-year-old child and they're working on his mathematics and writing. He's been with them for about a month and a half now, and his grades have improved greatly. It has gone from C's and D's to A's and B's. Also, he's more confident about doing the work, which played a big part in it as well. He really likes that they're patient and everybody seems very friendly. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

We used to have a high school student tutor my daughter before we put her in a tutoring class in Sylvan. The biggest advantage with them is the proportion of the teacher-student ratio, which was the biggest thing that we were looking for, so that she gets at least a little bit of personalized attention. Also, it's convenient since it's very close by to our house. She's enrolled in math and writing class, and we wanted her to focus more on writing and get more practice on it. She's been getting different concepts to write and they have been giving her regular feedback on the different punctuation and how more she can explore her creative side. And, we can see that gets reflected in her writing a little bit.

My daughter has been with Sylvan for one year now, and it's been awesome. Judy has been very helpful with us and very cooperative in case if we have to reschedule classes. My daughter is really liking the classes out there. Whenever we go to pick her up, she's always smiling and excited to tell what she's learned and practiced in class that day. Even if it is for two hours, she's happy. So, if your child is smiling after coming home from doing class, then that's mission accomplished.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My daughter is s new with phonics so we’re doing Math and Reading with them and she’s been there three weeks to a month now. The consistency or right terms are helping her understand the rules or the subject. Sylvan is a little expensive, but what they have to offer is great because my daughter loves going. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

People at Sylvan do a nice job. The kids wanna go there. They don’t feel like it’s a burden that they have go get tutored because the tutors make it a really good atmosphere there. They’re friendly and very accommodating, and they get the kids to focus. Carolyn has been very accommodating with schedules. She has been great and she gives the kids a lot of confidence. The kids have been with them for about four months now, for reading and then ACT prep, and everything has been going really well. On the ACT, we went up overall, three points. The reading helped my son in regular test-taking to get through his test. I would highly recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My daughter and I like Sylvan. She feels like she’s learning a lot. We’ve also done Kumon for years. Both are equally good. Sylvan tends to be more expensive. So, I have to weigh my options as far as where I can maximize my money and time. My daughter is doing writing with Sylvan. She feels like she can build up on her ideas better. She always had the ideas, and she has gotten way better in organizing them and putting them in a format. It helps her in school as well. I go in for evaluation, and they’re very thorough with what they’re gonna do next and what my daughter is working on, how much improvement she’s made, and what is their next goal with her. It’s good to have that communication because as a parent I’m not there for each session, so I know that she’s making progress.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Sylvan was our first time going into tutoring. My child is a little bit different in that he’s actually very smart academically, but he needed a place where he could focus on his work. He was able to focus on his work there, but they had some tutors that were experienced enough that they could handle the AP classes that he was taking. He values it, and for my son to value something that makes him go do schoolwork says something. We ended up signing up for it again this year. So, he was very willing to go there and focus his work time when he’s there. And he likes the tutors that he has. The gentleman that he works with works at the community college, so he can handle AP Physics and AP Calculus. I’m quite happy with the Sylvan situation that we’re in. They’ve tailored the service to what Ryan needs. I certainly would recommend it to others.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Sylvan is a referral from family. My daughter is focusing on Reading and Math, and she has been steadily improving. I had a parent-teacher conference last week. And the tutor said that as long as my daughter continues to improve the way she has been, she doesn't see there being any issues.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information