2. Education
  3. Tutoring

4.9/5 (256 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: April 20, 2021

The lady who works with my daughter is good about communicating. She's good about checking our email so if I ever send anything to her, she gets it quickly and responds quickly too. My daughter likes working with her and I love that the time schedule is so flexible. My daughter’s focus is on psychology and study skills. Her grade has improved in Psychology. It is an AP class and it’s very difficult. She’s only in tenth grade and it’s college level material. She's very capable because she always has been and she's always been very disciplined and mature for her age. But that maturity has slowed down a whole lot and she wasn't applying herself. Also, there’s a boyfriend involved now. He’s a good kid and I try to remind myself that I was a teenager once too. So, I know that it's a phase she's going through. But I got to the point where I have to do something to help her.

I had always heard good things about Sylvan so I checked into it and liked it. So it's been a good experience. My daughter's a little easygoing, friendly and very social. But still, she's 15 and for many teenagers, when their parents are the ones that sought out tutoring because they were unhappy with their grades, sometimes they don’t have the best attitude about it from the very beginning. And that has meant everything to me that she likes working with her. So that's a positive. The tutor has been good with her.

The only issue I've had is that there's one girl that works in Sylvan that if she were to be assigned as my daughter's tutor, I would have turned it down. One day, she was in charge while the director was doing something with another student and she didn't know what she was doing as well as what I was doing there. It was an awkward experience. I did tell Sylvan about it and they probably talked to her about it. Whoever I had been texting when I first started looking into it was super nice. She passed it on to the director of our local center. She emailed me a response and I appreciated that. Because a lot of times, you express something and you never hear back from anybody. She said that it would be addressed and that the girl was not usually like that. It's been a good experience for us with Sylvan and I'm a teacher, so I would recommend it to fellow students and fellow moms who might need that.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Sylvan was specifically offered as a contractor that my employer was utilizing for the purpose of having their employees have access to student tutoring to assist with work-at-home stuff. My job essentially paid for the tutoring sessions up to a certain threshold, and then I was initially gonna cover the rest, but I didn't go past the first month. We did their homework help program because my daughter's in first grade, and she's got a bunch of things that need to be finished by the end of every day. And because I work from home until five o'clock, I'm not always free to help her concentrate on that stuff, and so I was taking her in there to drop her off. They had a list of the work she needed done. The person there would help her get all her work done. When I picked her up, her work would be finished, and so we could finish up for the day and go home.

Their health and safety stuff is really good. Everyone gets their temperature taken before going in. However, it was not clearly stated that the parents weren't supposed to go into the building. My daughter's six and it was unnerving at first to just let her off in the parking lot and have her run into the building on her own. I went in and there weren’t any signs saying adults need to wait downstairs. I get this is their policy to minimize exposure, but I guess the way they want it to work is that you send the kids in, the kids get their temperature taken, and when they go upstairs, there's plexiglass dividers between all the workstations. I thought it could be communicated a little bit better. In the end, it worked out fine for letting her off in the parking lot, and I would walk her to the entrance.

For us, the program wasn't that flexible and we ended up canceling or not going there anymore. We didn't have a lot of options for exactly the kind of help our daughter needed. The only thing that was available to us was the homework help. Then the availability for sessions for homework help is limited because their attendance rate is low, and so they don't have enough teachers to cover having more homework slots. I could have chosen between a morning session and an afternoon session. In the end, not enough people were participating in the morning session for them to keep it open so it was only afternoon session that was available for us.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Michelle,

We understand your frustration and are so sorry you feel this way. We are sending you a direct message now so we can help resolve this!

Original review: July 20, 2020

I've told the school that Kylie was behind but they wouldn't listen to me. They don't know my kid better than I do. We had a meeting and they did a testing on her. And when Sylvan did the testing on her, she was second grade Reading, and that's what I had guessed. She's about second grade Reading and third grade Math. She started going downhill with Math when the school started doing the reading problems. And I don't want her to get to fifth grade until she knows it. If she doesn't feel she can answer these questions, she will just do as they always did. They will just keep pushing her off to the next teacher. Sylvan has been my absolute lifesaver. I love it.

I had my son go there as well when he was younger. That's how I knew about Sylvan. My son's 22 now. He ended up graduating two years early. When he was in first grade, and part of second grade, he missed a whole year of school because he was bit by a dog and he had to do rehabilitation. The school was going to hold him back. We found Sylvan and through that summer he went to them, and he learned more in that summer. Not only did he catch up the year that he missed, he was ahead of half the year of the next year just in that short amount of time, just through the summer which was, back then, a little longer than what they have now but not by much.

Kylie absolutely loves Sylvan. She does not like school, period. There's no doubt in my mind she doesn’t like school because she doesn’t know the heck what they’re doing. On the other hand, there’s Sylvan that makes her feel as if even the slightest little thing that she is doing is just wonderful and great. She has two different tutors. Math is male and the Reading is female, and both of them say that she does absolutely wonderful on the one on one. Also, she is excited to go. She would get up on Monday and Tuesdays and be like, “I gotta go to school today!” That's rare because now she says, “Gosh, school starts. I hate that. Why does school have to start? Tell them to shut back down.” I wish I have put Kylie sooner than waiting until I got all these numbers and stuff. I should have went with my gut instead of listening to the school, but they kept assuring me that she's meeting her goals. Her goals must’ve been four plus four.

Original review: June 25, 2020

My son struggles a lot with reading. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and he's really behind. When the school went out because of COVID, I was really worried that this is gonna mess him up. So, I kept looking online trying to find him places, and Sylvan popped up. I read the reviews. I called them just trying to see what they did and what they offered. My son needs a lot of help. He's very impatient. They just put him on medication. So, I was worried about him because a lot of people say they're good with kids, but a lot of people aren't, and they don't have any patience. The reviews on Sylvan that I found online were really good. They spoke really highly about the program.

Also, when I called, I found that they were doing it online. That was very convenient. I live too far from the actual center for me to go and take him. So, I like that they do Zoom. Then, they had some type of special going on at the time too. It was like $100 off the first enrollment for the family. There was a lady at Sylvan who has been a complete blessing. My son couldn't read anything. His self-esteem was horrible. He hated reading and didn't want to learn anything. I think he was just too overwhelmed. He would say things that broke my heart like he's too dumb, he doesn't want to do it and he just can't do it. The lady had done better than the actual teachers have.

When my son first started doing it, it was a bit of a struggle because he has low self-esteem when it came to reading. Between Sylvan and maybe a little bit of the medication to help him focus a little bit too, helped out. He was able to read to us. It was only five sentences, but still, this boy couldn't read anything at all. His tutor has been awesome. She knows how to redirect them. She's patient with them. My son is everywhere sometimes, but she knows how to ring him in. She knows how to work with him. She knows the children's learning style. She knows how to mold it around him, and it really does work. This whole COVID thing was crazy, but I'm happy that I found something. Because if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have found Sylvan, and I wouldn't have known about the program, and my son would still be struggling going to school. Sylvan is good at what they do.

Original review: June 23, 2020

My friend had an experience with Sylvan and I decided to give it a try. My son has autism and he has been through a lot between different schools and other experiences. So, he was behind. He’s very smart and it’s just the way he learns. I have a scholarship for him that he receives through the State of Arizona, Department of Education. So, I had some money and I put that towards the tutoring. When we went to Sylvan and did it, I was hoping he was gonna make progress, and he has. He enjoys his tutors and he’s gaining more skills than the average student. It was double the amount for reading. He was supposed to gain 45 skills and he gained 90. Also, he was almost triple than the average student obtains in Math. So, he’s been doing good. We’ve been doing the virtual since this whole COVID situation and he has been doing good with it too.

Sylvan needs to make sure that they’re consistent with the times and try the best they can to keep him skipping weeks. He wasn’t able to talk before and we’ve been doing speech therapy, and his consistency is the number key. When they’re doing it over and over again such as the repetitions with the letter sound and trying to blend all the words, it’s important that they’re able to make sure to stay with the schedule. Reinforcing at home like for math and reading are kinda along the lines that Sylvan does like the phonics-based stuff for reading. My son has only been in it since early February and he’s reading books now. Doing a little extra at home makes a difference.

My son was in the middle of third grade when he got assessed and he was at kindergarten level. The school was doing more stuff when he didn’t even have the foundation to try to do it. It was kinda waste of time. They should’ve been doing the basics with him first and then building up those skills. The reason why I’m happy that we did Sylvan is because they did that. My son is in the middle of second grade now and it was only in February when he started. So, it has been amazing and the staff has been great which includes Mary Ann. Victoria, who does all four different Sylvan Learning Centers in our area, has been great too.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Sylvan will test your child first, and then they pinpoint the weak areas. They build on them and make the foundation stronger so your child can move forward. They also have a process of making sure your child retains what they've been taught before they allow them to move on to the next section. So, they have it relevant in their mind and stored there to go to the next stage. My child loves going to Sylvan. She only says good things about them, so that's good for me.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Sylvan is a great place to go for the kids to learn and get more experience and patience. My child seems to be doing okay with it.

Original review: May 17, 2021

My daughter does Math with Sylvan. They did an evaluation, and then focused on the areas that she needed to work on. They've been very patient with her, and it's been tough because she hasn't always wanted to do this. She doesn't always want to have this one more thing to do after school. Sylvan has been very good. They're very communicative. I've really been happy with them and I would recommend them. They will customize your kid’s needs, and they're very accommodating to that.

Original review: May 16, 2021

My son is very happy with Sylvan. His grade is improving and his understanding’s better. His grasp of the material has greatly increased. He'll learn something in class, and he may not be clear on it, and those days when he goes, he feels that he gets a better explanation of it. He learns not just how to do something, but also why you do it like this, so that he can understand those steps involved. He's doing algebra with them. Algebra is not easy. So, it's something you really have to get an understanding of to be able to build on it. My son's happy with his tutors. He didn't like his time slot, but he was worried about not having access to those same tutors. So, he was even a lot more willing to stay in that time slot to ensure that he had those same tutors that he’s been working with. I'm glad I made the choice of going with Sylvan for him.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I was looking for extra help for my son for a couple subjects he was struggling in, and I came across Sylvan Learning Centers. I looked at Kumon as well, and Sylvan seemed to sound a lot better. I spoke to both of them on the phone, and Sylvan was more personable and sounded much more concerned about my son and his needs. We went with Sylvan, and I’m seeing a huge difference. I'm still kind of learning as I go but I highly recommend Sylvan. My son struggled with multiplication for the last year, and he's made more progress in the last two months at Sylvan than he has at all since third grade.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information