South University

Savannah, GA

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have worked as a medical assistant for 23 years, prior to starting South University. I was told when I began and only reason I enrolled that I could get my associates in nursing. Once enrolled told it was an Allied Health and Science degree, which in turn will help me enter into my bachelor of nursing. I qualified for full maximum amount for Pell Grant and then remainder in student loans. Over the course of 2 years, I had 5 financial advisers, and questioned each of them as to the charges on my account. Classes that transferred to South University and I was being charged for them, then the classes I did take were charged numerous times. My ledger is ridiculously not accurate, nor easy to follow.

My academic counselor was amazing, Megan **!! And I did have a handful of exceptional professors and have personal contact with them now. I finished with a 3.89 GPA, when I graduated March 8, 2017. I have not received my diploma nor can I get a transcript. I have a balance of $524 on my account that they are harassing me daily about, which includes $125 graduation fee (I am not attending the commencement service as I live in Texas). So I have questioned what is the $125 for, my diploma which they won't send me because I have a balance. In all actuality, I have sat down, and with a fine tooth comb went over my ledger, charges, Pell Grant money and student loan money, South University owes me over $3000.

I have been calling now for 2 weeks, to the supervisor of financial aid Matt, no return phone call. Today I called the director of financial aid and left a message. If I do not get a return call by tomorrow evening, I will proceed to an attorney, report them to the student loan services, and multiple other sites to help stop them overcharging, manipulating, and not fulfilling their portion on my education with my transcript and diploma. DO NOT attend South University!!!

I gave this school one star because zero wasn't an option. In 2015 I enrolled in the RN to BSN program, big mistake. I completed all of my courses however I was constantly harassed by the Financial Department. I made my monthly payments, but they somehow always added in new charges. They even tried to charge me for a cap and gown although I made it clear that I would not be walking across the stage. Fast forward to now and I receive a call from a collections agency (I have STELLAR credit) reporting that I have a debt to South. Mind you, no one at South University including Megan **, who was my financial advisor, is able to explain why. I have even requested to speak to Megan's supervisor but to no avail. I have had calls asking me to pursue the NP program, but I absolutely will not. This school does not care about the students, only about money. Steer clear of this school at all costs or you will have serious regrets.

This place is the WORST!!! One day these morons called me and offered jobs but a little later it turned into school crap that I did not need. I told them I wasn't ready to go back to school and they did not listen at all! Next thing I knew a woman signs me up for classes and I try to tell her that I'm NOT ready to go back! She didn't listen, it goes in one ear and out the other! (I wanted to continue with my graphic design and get my bachelor's degree.)

So fast forward 6 days later and my friend calls me just to chat and he tells me what this school would do to me if I stayed. My friend told me to drop out that same day or I would be screwed, so I did. I never looked back and if I ever go back I will choose a better college that offers me what I ask for. South University is just a college that wants your hard earned money and then fill you with LIES!!!

This is a scam school. When you are in your general courses for a four year degree, it may not seem like it at first. However, once you are in your major's curriculum, everything changes. The teachers won't teach you anything. You are expected to read at least 90 pages per chapter and 3 chapters at a time within 3 days, and if you're full-time then add more chapters (often 3 or more) on top of that. Once in your majors' curriculum, the teachers that are suppose to teach the material, but they do not. On the class page they usually stick with the easier topics and want you to download some recommended software. But once they are asked questions on "questions for the professor", they do not explain the answer. It's as if they don't even read the books they recommend you.

Also, the assignments they give you are outdated, recycled and have errors, so often you can't make heads or tails of the assignment and you are left to turning in an assignment and assuming what the teacher meant. Then there are the advisers. They will call you maybe once a month and if they don't call you, they send you an email that's just incoherent. And don't expect to get a call and get in touch with your adviser or get a call back in a timely manner. You can leave a message and will maybe get a call in a couple weeks, at their convenience because there is no sense of urgency. The adviser has changed my schedule twice already and it looks like they may have again, putting me behind even further on my expected graduation date. So, after I finish these classes that I am enrolled in, I am going to leave and I recommend that if you are reading this that you go somewhere else because this school is a scam.

Finally, an even more convincing reason is the tuition. When you are going for 4 years it will amount to $60,000 or lots more and you won't graduate any sooner than anyone else going to a cheaper more reliable school. Matter of fact, you go year round with no breaks and don't graduate any quicker. The school’s website is horrible. You'd expect that they would be able to create a decent user experience based off of how much money they make. But the website is always down and the ebooks are always having problems. This school is horrible and there is a special place in ** for whoever is involved in leading this scam school.

South University was the first job I worked at right out of college. I had a friend that worked there and got me a job. They train you well, to be honest, it was the best training I ever received but I quickly learned why. They tell you in training that the school is accredited and if the students are doing what they are told then they will make it through. They give you the tools they sell the education and you buy the lie that you are helping people. As I entered into the role of Admissions Representative my goal was to help people. I worked so hard for my education and it meant a lot to be and I wanted to help others do the same. The longer I was there, the more I realized I worked at a call center and I was a salesman. I stopped trying to sign people up. instead, I would be completely honest and transparent with them. This was frowned upon but I did not care. My integrity meant more to me than my job.

I stayed there for under a year because I needed the paycheck and they do pay well but I didn't sign anyone up for months unless they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. Finally, I waited for the buyout. if you don't perform the way they want you to, you can either take the buy out or you have 30 days to get your numbers up. The buyout is worth about a month's pay. I needed that to support myself while I searched for a new job. I took the buyout and I told them I was embarrassed to work for them.

I hadn't signed anyone up on purpose. Most people were kind about it and they understood. To be honest I think some of them felt the same way, they just didn't stand up the way I did. Others buy into the lie and feed into it as well. I am glad that I do not work there anymore and I am always doing my best to help those who are looking for an education and steering them in the direction of their local community colleges and state universities. Stay away from for Profit Online Schools.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

I said I was unable to start until July. I'm unable to retrieve my mom's tax information for FAFSA application for 2016-2017. Also, I'd get a better Pell grant because I'd be an Independent. My Admissions representative refused to accept that as an answer. She has me tell her manager my story, and the financial aid advisor. Each asking questions more personal. They get paid the same whenever I start. The financial aid advisor requested to speak to my mom. (I'm 24. It's none of his business.) I called my Admissions representative back. Told her I felt violated by the personal questions, and her refusal to listen, I asked to have my application withdrawn. She didn't even apologize. Also, when the first time I called her, she put me on hold for 5 minutes, after our conversation started.

I took 3 classes. I received zero credits. I was told (practically guaranteed a nursing) from a sleepy salesman who had told me I won a scholarship. I was vulnerable and going through a divorce at the time. I learned the hard way about signing my name to documents over the Internet. I felt cheated and scammed right away but there was nothing I could do. Now they are garnishing my wages at work. I still don't have a degree. I'm working for minimum wage. This place sucks.

I started my NP at South University in 2014. I was harassed daily via telephone to enter by the admission advisor when I was hesitant to do so. I finally did and my academic advisor was after the first semester, when I was a "pain" to be nonexistent. I never heard back from the original recruiter. The courses were quite overloaded with material and 11 weeks was too short for the volume expected. I was successful. The classes are poorly written as well. The practicums were a nightmare.

This university expects the student to download all their paperwork, find suitable practicum sites within your state, yes a background check (not horrible but you pay for it upfront along with a drug test). Let me start with the drug test. The lab they wanted me to go to was over 4 hours ride one way. Seriously. One way. I had to argue the point. Won that one, but the students have to have them done yearly as per GA SBON rules, as I live in ME, why? ME SBON does not require this and I am not practicing in GA.

Practicum sites, after calling over 55 sites, not finding one, had to drive almost 3 hours one way for practicum sessions 2/3 times a week. Paperwork for said sites is a nightmare, lest you upload them incorrectly, to the wrong person (they don't talk to each other), or better yet, they have a site for this process. The student has to submit double paperwork as well, all going to the same person, via their school site and fax machine from the practice. I had no access after the first practicum. Now that was fun, and told them over and over, and over and over, I have all the emails, including the academic advisor too, who evidently does not read his email, or only the ones he chooses?

The student arranges it all, everything. They do absolutely nothing to assist the student and basically tough luck. They don't care. If you don't submit paperwork, takes them a week to respond, they pull you from classes, you lose your financing, and on it goes. They accept absolutely no responsibility for remaining understaffed, herding students through the practicum process like a bunch of sheep, it is just wrong! They are one of the most dis-reputable FOR PROFIT schools I have encountered. They demonstrate no ethics or veracity in their business dealings. They should be fully investigated and shut down. They are profiting from student loans and sending bills to students after the fact.

I was studying at this school for a year until dropped out my class due to a professor who treated students from different nationalities different to those who were born here. The academic counselor support was never received. This school is just about getting your money and then let you on your own. They introduce new software programs the same week of the assignments without previous preparation leading to low grades. For the NP program, they do not help you to find your preceptors, and overload students with material that do not increase learning in contrast reduce it.

I had a professor who brought her past experience to class as a threat and made two to three students to quit their class. She embarrassed students in common classroom discussion, directly made inappropriate comments about former students in my class mentioning about those students' experiences in a negative way, not to mention about the bad attitude toward ** students in her class. This is my experience, and I recommend those from other nationalities not to take classes with Dr. ** at South University.

My experience with South University was bad and they suck at telling the truth big time. I was enrolled in two classes and only passed one of them. And the teachers for each class were not good at all.

After reading most of the posts the general consensus is that South University IS FRAUDULENT. Now, after evaluating my personal experience I can honestly and confidently say, "They are right!!!" The entire post section about this school is all basically the saying the same thing. This school is quick with the pen and even faster with their words. The admissions are very friendly but do not fully explain everything.

My story (short version) went for one class for 4 weeks. Did fine then started my second class. Due to issues with the class and advisor I decided to drop the first week of the second class however unaware that because I was counted as present for the first week I would be charged $1,140.00. I contacted my financial advisor. He said he would look into it and call me back the following day around the same time. I am still waiting on that call back. We all know how that will go. If a class is $1,700.00 how does one week equal out to $1,200.00 bucks and if someone says a credit hour is $400 an hr then why is the first week so expensive?!?! Especially if I am not even using these credit hours! For the money you might as well go to Harvard! Very disappointed in the educational system for allowing this type of institution to continue this way. It's clear that something is very wrong here.

Say you never read the reviews because you started 5 years ago in a 5 year criminal justice program. Pretend you were recently nearly homeless and desperate to change your situation, so you are on federal grants and loans, which you are told would cover the entire cost (estimated at $30k). Then you graduate, with more than $50k in loans. Now you are told you owe the university $900 to get your diploma because the loans didn't cover everything. So you get on a payment plan. Then, suddenly, with almost no notice, you are supposed to come up with an additional $1600 (over $2000 you now owe to the school) before you can get that diploma or official transcript. And it's 2 weeks 'till Christmas and you have kids and no job. No job because you graduated in November and haven't gotten any interviews yet, in spite of applying daily to multiple jobs.

I can't get a GOOD job because I don't have transcripts that show I graduated with a 3.95 GPA, with highest honors. I can't pay this off without a job. See where I'm sort of out of luck here? No transcripts means no job means no ability to pay for the transcripts. It's a vicious circle. I can't believe an institution that promised career services and job placement now wants SO MUCH MONEY from me while I'm trying to find employment (without career services help because it's a straight-up JOKE there).

Get out while you can. Take the financial risk and transfer out of this school. I was NOT aware of the problems because I never had one until I tried to graduate after jumping through all the classes and learning everything for myself because it really is self-directed learning. Instructors guide you a little, but most of them are juggling several online classes and don't have time to explain anything. You get points off for APA mistakes, but not for plagiarism. It's true - I complained of a fellow student copy/pasting something and *I* was the one who was made to look like the fool somehow. It was beyond horrific. I worked HARD for this degree. I did the work and studied my butt off to learn without instruction, and now I'm faced with hardships because the university won't work with me, but will take me to collections and court. I would NEVER recommend South University Online. It's an absolute joke.

I am in my last semester at South University starting in 2 weeks. Every class has been a fight tooth and nail for consistency and assistance. Professors don't read responses and give perfect scores for pitiful work one semester, the next semester they doc you a point for this and that, then won't tell you what exactly you did wrong. Admin personnel don't hear your concerns and say whatever it takes to pacify you.

The practicum process is as close to impossible as it can get without actually being undoable. No wonder the pass rate is so low. The board pass rate is high, but only because you have to be stubborn and determined to make it through this gauntlet of a process. They lose your paperwork, send out ridiculous demands at the last moment before deadlines, and do next to nothing to assist the student in reaching the goals. This past two years has been one frustration after another. I will NEVER recommend this school to anyone!! With God's help I will be done with them in 90 days!! DON'T DO IT!!

I attended South University, Cleveland for a year and a half before being admitted into the Physical Therapist Program. I maintained a 4.0 GPA and was assured I would be successful in the program. There were 21 of the best students accepted into the program at the beginning of the program, and by the time the first semester was over, there were only 14 left. This was not because the program was too difficult. These top students were used to difficult classes. The head of the program, also the professor, was unprofessional, unfair, and taught with intimidation. The ridiculous and unrealistic assignments he administered made it virtually impossible for many of the students to be successful.

After losing many great students, the professor adjusted his grading style to allow the remaining students to get through the semester. South University gets you into the PTA program, takes your money (which is 3 times more that other schools), and does nothing to help you be successful in the program. If you are thinking about earning an Associates Degree in the PTA program from South University, Cleveland, please reconsider! There is a big chance you will not make it through the program, and you will not know it until it is too late - they already have your money. They are a rip-off, scam school.

I wish I had chosen a different school. Be prepared for a bad online experience. You do all your own teaching. The instructors only grade your assignments and offer no teaching whatsoever. They are not usually Ph.d. and do not know what they are doing themselves. They are more concerned with technicalities than you learning anything. Also it is apparently alright for students to simply copy and paste their entire assignments straight from websites and turn that in as their own work. If you report it you are the one they are mad at, not the student cheating because they want the money. You won't learn anything here and I don't think your degree will mean anything either.

Attended South University Virginia beach, VA. My classmates was the best part of my time in school. I met so many good people. However, when it comes about learning experience some of the instructors were really vague about giving information. Then the online assignments were a little challenging. The instructor will place a question that would only have an answer but when you submitted the website will warned you about plagiarism. That was almost unavoidable, especially when it comes to definitions of terms or describing procedures. I had to talked to my professor and academic dean about that topic several times. Nothing did happened. However, it was an ok experience. I did learn it just issues with submitting paperwork and a few staff members that were not as good teaching as others.

When I started this school in August of 2015, everyone there seemed to be very interested in you and kept in contact with you. As time goes on the concern grows less & less. When you call you find out that your counselors & advisers are no longer there, they have been changed and you are never notified of any changes. I have actually had to call and demand to speak to management or administration to get my contacts to call me back. I once sent an email to an address that I happened to find online & within minutes I had all kind of people calling me back. You really have to stand up to these people or they will just push you over.

Just today I was put in a class with another teacher that when you make a post all she does is ask the same question to every student. I immediately called my adviser & told her to remove me from that class & place me in another class. I told her I had already been in a class where the teacher did this & it is not a learning experience when a teacher posts the same questions to every student, to me this is lazy on the teacher's part. My adviser tried to persuade me to talk to her. I told her, "No." I have tried talking to these Professors before & the ones like that try to make you look stupid & I was not having it. I told her if she couldn't make it happen that I needed to speak to management. It happened. Just beware before you enroll into this University...

So I was enjoying my time in school. Struggled with the math parts due to 15 years being out but was doing ok. Then I got into a car accident and dropped classes to recover. I found out days later that I was kicked out so I filed an appeal to be denied. I sent in all the information proving I was being truthful and nothing. Now I have all my loans kicked in and they charged me for all the classes I didn't take. Single mom trying to make it through school to better our future and because of all this can't continue school elsewhere because of the fee I have to pay back which is $4010. South University screwed me. I am writing this to warn others. Don't enroll waste your time because if God forbid something happened to you while attending they will kick you out and fine you.

There have been some "diploma mill" schools in the news lately, but I can confirm South U is not selling diplomas. If anything, a diploma is going to be hard to achieve here. The classes I've had so far are incredibly challenging, and I'm comparing this experience to my experience taking classes at Rochester Institute of Technology. I did read some bad press about a low graduation rate, and now I know why!

I was a student at this school for around 8 months and to be honest I really enjoyed the school while I was a student until the end. The classes are actually very easy because most of the instructors really don't check what you actually write. They use pre-made replies. I've had several reply post from instructors that had nothing to do with what I wrote. It's good if you just need to pass classes and get a degree, but if you want to actually learn something you will be on your own. My problem just came recently when I decided to change degree plans, due to finding out that I will be taking on a new job within my current career field and that my new employer will pay for my college if I'm taking a degree plan that is aligned with my job field. After checking with South University I noticed they did not offer the degree plan I needed to take. I also noticed that they no longer offer the degree plan I was currently enrolled in.

I found a different university that offered the exact degree plan I needed and wanted so I submitted my withdrawal paperwork so that I could withdraw after my next class was completed. Even though I was still enrolled in that next class and was doing the coursework for that class, I received a letter from the VA's office stating that since I withdrew from South University a month prior, I have been overpaid and must pay that money back. While still taking classes with South University they sent the paperwork to the VA telling them I was no longer enrolled in school there. I have completed 3 weeks of class work with 2 more weeks to go, for a class at a school that according to paperwork that was sent to the VA I no longer attend. I will be contacting the VA's office in the morning to discuss this issue with them.

Oh and just about none of the classes I took in the 8 months with South will transfer over to the new school. So my advise if you're still reading this is, if you enroll make sure you stay with this school. They will try and cheat you and punish you for leaving and your class you've spent all that money on will not transfer. But if you plan on staying with South until you graduate then this will be an easy school to pass, as long as your employer or future employer will recognize a degree from South University. Because even if they would have offered the degree plan I needed and wanted to take my future employer stated they would not pay for or recognize a degree from South University.

This is in reference to the online degree option. The academic advisor did not inform me that I had to have a nursing license in the state where I reside. Being in the military, I am not required to have a nursing license from every state I am stationed in. I did not find out until classes had already started. So when I did not get the license on time, I was disenrolled. Furthermore, the financial aid advisor did not know how to use the TA, and the dates for classes did not match the dates for the classes on GoArmyEd.com, so my classes were not paid for. This was an awful experience for me. A waste of time.

I live in the Columbia area of South Carolina. Originally it had been my goal to attend a local college and obtain my Registered Nurses Degree. Unfortunately life had other ideas and I had a baby right out of high school of 2013. Turns out my baby was very ill and had to get a transplant at Duke hospital in North Carolina. With this in mind, I still wanted to get a higher education so that is why I turned to South University Online.

There are no online schools that are not "for-profit schools" and with this in mind I knew what I was getting into when I began attending courses online. I know it is expensive but you have to expect that. Another aspect of online school is that there is no hand holding. It is basically a self-taught experience when it comes to online school. You get guidance from your professors, and good discussions from your peers in the classroom. It is a way to get a lot of material learned in a short 5 to 10 week course and still be considered a full time student. As well as not having to pay for any of my student loans until I finished school.

Going back to the account of my personal life, my sick baby that had to undergo a transplant, the process ended up taking the whole year of 2014 to the start of 2015. The transplant failed and she passed away February 12th 2015. I was forced to take 3 months off of school so that I could grieve and set up a new life back home in South Carolina. All of my professors, and advisers were extremely understandable and helped me out with taking a leave of absence. There was a period when my student loans people contacted me to start setting up payments and I had to explain my leave of absence and my intent on returning to school. My advisers helped me fill out the forms to show I was back in school and turned in all of the necessary forms and schedules to defer my payments until graduation. Everything went smoothly and worked out.

Since then, I have been finishing up with my associates degree. I have 20 weeks left to go and should be finished by January 2017. Granted I believe I have an estimated of $25,000 for my associates degree when I get done, but to me with my roller-coaster of a life, I am willing to pay what it takes for a school that is going to work with me and help me out in my time of need. Where as an on-campus community college you have so many absences and get kicked out or dropped for so many other factors. I would recommend South University Online to any of my friends or family if they could not easily attend a local college or university. It is expensive but to me it is worth it.

Hi, I am a graduate student, counseling student at South University in Columbia, South Carolina. My name is CA I am studying to be a counselor. I have an older woman in one of my classes named Robyn **, she is between 49 and 57. She is also a professor adjunct in medical assisting. I am concerned because she bullies this quiet girl who does nothing to her. The girl asks questions in class and this older woman laughs, makes fun of her embarrasses her, and ridicules her. I get that she is trying to make this young woman feel less about herself. I hope someone does something because not even the dean, professor teaching the class, or even the chair will do anything.

I know the psychological effects of bullying and I do not want this young lady to be another statistic affected by this bullying. I also do not want any other altercation to occur. The older woman is very childish and insecure from what I see from her behavior. I think she is jealous of the young lady... This is just very unprofessional for this faculty to be acting like this. Maybe she feels she can easily get away with bullying because in this classroom she is the student, and being faculty she can switch roles to do her bullying. Maybe I should just transfer to University of South Carolina or somewhere else... This is just ridiculous. You would think bullying would stop in high school or be just between students, but a faculty bullying and ridiculing a student and being a student is just distasteful, unprofessional, and out of line. I hope her superior/supervisor would step in and remove her. It goes on every class Mon and Sat whenever.

I enrolled in the RN to BSN program at South University at the Tampa, Florida campus in February of 2016. While it wasn't my original plan, I was able to take all of the required classes online. After completing the necessary classes, I have transferred to the RN to MSN program in the FNP tract. I started my MSN classes this week. I am able to take two classes online and one, advanced pathophysiology, on campus. Since my initial interaction with South I have been absolutely satisfied. I have read many of the complaints on this site and I feel that I should respond to give another side of the story. With South University, or any proprietary institution, there are three main things to keep in mind.

First, they are a business designed to generate income. To that ends, the admissions advisers are evaluated on their enrollment figures just like a car or furniture salesman. They want to help you get enrolled as opposed to non-profit schools who are trying to weed you out. Second, they assume you are there because you are driven and goal oriented. No one there is going to hold your hand. If you feel you need a little more support, consider a local community college.

Third, it is expensive but accessible. For-profit schools, like South, give many people the opportunity to pursue an education that otherwise would not be available to them. For instance, the local community college nursing program acceptance rate is less than one in five. If you don't have a 4.0 and a lot of volunteer hours you are simply not competitive. Without options like South, many aspiring students dreams would stop there.

These types or institutions are not for every learner. You must be self-motivated and able to take responsibility for your own learning. The online instructors are more guides than teachers. The digital text and supporting media are excellent when students actually use them. As with most things in life, you are going to get out of it what you put into it. I would start over at South again and I certainly would recommend it to friends and family. It has been expensive, but they have given me opportunities that I would otherwise not have had.

I was at South University for a year or more and was doing well. I had spine surgery and had to take 2 months off. I was making my monthly payments and on time. When I returned, I had some financial issues due to not returning to work as planned. I asked the College to Please work with me. They kicked me out and told me I had to pay over 8700.00 to get back in. I want to finish and get my BSN but I can't afford to 8700.00 all at once... I'm very saddened.

I am currently attending South University MSN-FNP program. Another comment said this program was not accredited, but it is in fact accredited. The advisors were initially very helpful (some still are) but others require multiple emails before they will respond to questions. I chose this program because the MSN-FNP track is full-time but you take one class at a time. The classes are very condensed and a lot of information in a short period of time; however, this allows for nurses to continue to work at least part if not full time. Working full time is very challenging if you want to give adequate time to studies. You can also start the program at any time which is convenient. The price is honestly quite average for MSN-FNP programs.

I wanted to do a DNP program in-state which would have taken a year longer and cost more. Sometimes I regret not doing that. Consider that in-state programs, medical students, and PA students are ALWAYS given preference at clinical sites and "South University online" sounds a bit like a sham. This piece has been a challenge, but I have found at least two clinical sites so far.

The classes so far have been hit or miss. Some of the professors are quite good while others respond to papers and discussion posts with incorrect grammar and "text message" type replies. So, some are professional while others just seem annoyed that students are asking questions. The research class that I am in is especially awful with a professor that is very disconnected from realities of clinical practice and expecting students to have her research/PhD knowledge. She is possibly one of the worst educators I have ever experienced.

There are no audiovisual class components which is very challenging since the "lectures" are a bit of a joke (written summary of text reading which a student could compile in a matter of hours). The texts so far have been alright, and luckily almost all texts (minus one) are available in digital format and included in tuition costs. This is a big positive (on the texts) however I would highly recommend the University to include audiovisual teaching or ANY teaching for that matter.

Students basically teach themselves information with little guidance or teaching from the professors themselves. Some of the information is just required for accreditation purposes (theory, research, etc) and I am not terribly worried if I cannot recall certain nursing theoretical concepts. That said, the assessment and real, concrete, and practical classes should certainly have an audiovisual component. I have suggested this in every single end of class survey and to my advisors with no response to the comment.

The practicum portion is entirely student-driven with minimal assistance from advisors. I have not started practicum yet, but this is the portion I am looking forward to the most. This will have little to do with South University since this is student and preceptor driven. Anyway, I am struggling through this program; however, I have talked to students in similar online programs with similar mixed experiences. DNP programs do have a much larger research focus (no thanks!) and claim to have more clinical hours; however, some of these "clinical hours" are really not dealing with actual patients (come to learn from other students). So, this MSN program requires 780 clinical NP hours which seems pretty standard and solid to other MSN programs. All in all, could be a much better program and needs improvement. I feel like I have spent too much time and money to turn back now!

I was looking for convenience of online education to finish my BSN. I was a diploma nurse and this seemed like a good fit. I did graduate from South University with honors... which was not hard to do. I paid a total of 18,000 for two years of bad classes. The degree edit was changed twice along the course citing that the board of Nursing changed the curriculum and two of the classes I already took were no longer counted. This caused my graduation date to change not one but twice. I was aggravated but pressed on knowing I needed to finish. On a weak day I agreed to begin my MSN there at South University. It was just easy I was familiar with the online setup and the transcripts were already on file. I started shortly after BSN graduation. I was three classes in to the nine necessary for graduation and I received a dreaded call from the counselor. She proceeded to tell me the school lost their accreditation.

I asked what does that mean to me. She said "You can no longer continue." She said "I mean you can continue but you will have to pay and your degree will not be certified." Ummm... who would do this? She told me that only two way to lose accreditation: one by the quality of the education and two by mismanaging financing through student loans. South was disaccredited for financial reasons. She then said "We don't want to lose you as a student. You can wait one year until our accreditation renews." I would never wait a year for starters. I then began my search and found many universities. Only one would transfer my 6 months worth of credit work. Only to find out later they would take none. So now I am out of options. I had to start over my MSN program. What a nightmare.

I should have learned my lesson. Lastly they told me they needed payment for the three classes since the student loan disbursement would not release the fund for the classes I took. The second nightmare began between me and the credit agency as they turned me over to collections for three classes that were not counting and disaccredited. Run, run for your life. Do not be wowed by the ease of admission to the university. They are a poor excuse for a college. I will never recommend them ever!

I approached South University on January 4th, 2016, looking for information about their BSN degree. They were very efficient in providing me a path of success, and even though it was very, very expensive, they assure me that I qualified for grants, and Federal Student Aid, to the point that I wouldn't even have to touch my GI Bill, so I accepted, enrolled in the quarter, and began my path of education. During the month of February (almost half way through the quarter) I began receiving notifications from financial aid, telling me that I have to fill a 1040 amended Tax return form for my 2014 taxes because my "social status" was different than my current status. So I brought it up to my accountant's attention, and he told me that I don't have to, because that's from 2014, and I applied for financial aid for the first time ever (at South University) in 2016.

So basically, they insist on my need to amend my taxes. Now I owe them almost $5000 in tuition fees. I explained to one of the financial aid specialist that my military situation had changed (from SELRES in January to Active Duty by March), to which I was told "great! now you can use your GI Bill or TA", which leads me to believe that they don't know exactly how the military benefits work and feels more like they just want to get money from wherever they can, other than from wherever they have to. So why am I filing a complaint? Why do I feel like I was misled? Basically because I feel like all that efficiency getting me into a classroom, and getting me set up with Financial aid, only turned into a nightmare, since according to them, now, unless I file a 1040x amended tax return form, I will be responsible to repay that extremely high tuition cost at once. Why misleading?

Because it is truly a false sense of security, when the first day your are told that you qualified for everything, only to find out that perhaps you don't. During my second meeting with a different financial aid counselor, I was told that I had been selected by the federal student financial aid department for verification, and that's when the red flag came out. Now I have to wonder, why didn't South University financial aid counselors caught it on day one? If they had done their job, it would had never made a difference if I got reviewed or not by the federal financial aid department. If they had told me from the beginning about that situation, I would had never applied to that school. I believe is totally unprofessional, very misleading, very irresponsible, and simply a disgrace to the educational system. A total shame to the community.

I attended South University for almost 18 months in their MSN program. During my third semester I was told that the prior semester tuition had not been paid because the SCHOOL DIDN'T PROCESS MY FINANCIAL AID CORRECTLY. I was told I would have to take out more money in loans to cover that semester if I didn't want to risk being dropped from my third semester classes. I can say regarding the education that it was high school level at best. I would be embarrassed to say I graduated from South University. That is why I withdrew. I did not feel that the classes I took were preparing me for advanced nursing practice. Now, I am seeking admission to a not for profit nursing program. I am on the hook for the classes I took and now owe $20,000. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL AT ALL COSTS!

This school is terrible. If you have any problems do not expect to be resolved in your favor. Just want to make money. Students are not interested. Nobody read your email. They have finances very disorganized. You never know when you will have your financial aid. Ahhh. Stay away from department to the class of physical assessment in the program nurse practitioner. They are bad dogs. NO recommend this school to anyone.

South University Company Profile