Sylvan Prometric

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I took my exam at this particular location. PROMETRIC TEST CENTER #2202 LOCATED IN VEGAS NEVADA. This place has been the worse experience of my life. I have been traumatized by the two IDIOTS that were assigned on 06/08/16 on this location. One of them, who was heavy set and had black hair (looked Hispanic) offered me the exam and answers for $2000. I obviously declined the offer! And couldn't believe what I was hearing. I hope this idiot gets fired! That is straight out corruption. Don't ever schedule your exam there, those idiots will ruin your future.

I was denied access to the CPA exam I scheduled on 2/29/2016 for the Regulation section. I have proof of appointment confirmation. I scheduled for REGULATION on 2/29/2016 for the right testing center in Fort Lauderdale. I have been trying to solve this issue with Prometric and they just could care less. I spent hours on call and spoke with Priscilla ** | Global Candidate Care Specialist and her supervisor. I finally get they opened a case with promise to investigate the issue. The case number is ** and they promised to call me back within 48 hours on Monday 2/29/2016. It has been a week and nobody called me.

I really do not know what else I could do. I am a single mom taking two graduate classes and working full time, and studying for the CPA exam at the same time. I prepared months for the Regulation section and took two days off from work for this exam. I get up 6AM in the morning and drove 20 miles to Fort Lauderdale for the exam on 2/29/2016. And I was denied to take the exam because they could not find my appointment record. The deny not only created extreme hardship on me but also caused my NTS expired. I lost money on the NTS and wasted tremendous time!!! I am begging for any helps or any suggestions!! Thank you.

I hardly ever write reviews about companies but I felt it was necessary to write one about a company who takes advantage of customer and their money. As soon as my application was processed I called to schedule an appointment, but what do you know they had already scheduled one for me. So I said I could not make that date because I didn't schedule it and also I have school that date & I can't miss my whole 2nd day of the semester it's college for crying out loud. They said there is a $30 fee which I said was retarded because I didn't ask or schedule the date that was given so why should I have to pay.

So the lady waives the fee and scheduled me for Jan 29th which was a Friday. I later received an email for the same damn test date Jan. 14th. So I called first thing Monday morning and the representative said I had to pay the $30 even though it was for a mistake they made. So I speak to the manager and she is anything but helpful. All she said was "you have to pay you have to pay. I understand but you have to pay". Oh because the $140 I already paid isn't enough? What kind of business are they running? Trying to rip people off by rushing to set up an inconvenient test date that customers have no clue of then when we want to choose our test date we have to pay an additional $30! What sense does that make? & they never even sent me an email of my original test date until I called. Worst company policy ever.

I had a test scheduled for February 19, 2015 at Knoxville TN. Winter Storm Octavia hit on February 16, 2015 and it just kept snowing. I checked the website that day and it said all testing centers closed from TN, KY and on up the east coast. I emailed Prometric to reschedule my test 5 times and no answer. I finally found a phone number which is next to impossible, and number to talk to someone and was told my testing center was not closed on that day. Now I need to pay for the test again in order to retake it. I have looked to see if I could find the closing dates for that day on the internet and am exhausted from looking. I know the testing center was closed; in Knoxville TN some did not even have electric that day. Does anyone have proof what testing centers were closed the week of February 16-February 20??

I have been trying to register for both GRE and TOEFL. Each time I try to pay I get a decline message like this, "We're unable to process your payment" for GRE and "Use another card {481}" for TOEFL. All my efforts to get this resolve from both ETS and Prometric always prove abortive because both are not helpful at all. I later got an email from ERS to use only internet explorer and also reset my SSL, accept Java and so on but nothing changes. Does anyone has a similar problem? How can I get help?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Prometric?

I was scheduled to take my GRE exam on January 6th, 2015. On Christmas Eve, I received a call telling me that my time had been canceled and that I had to reschedule. They recommended January 22nd, and as we all have deadlines for applications in early January and so on, this time would not work. I was given a new time of January 7th, 2015. On the 7th, I realized that my ID had been lost a plane the evening before (my own fault). So they said I could not take it, but then they tell me that my test was NOT rescheduled for the 7th. Instead, they said I was scheduled to take my test the 22nd.

So, I call many times between Prometrics and ETS (who are in charge of GRE). First time calling Prometrics, I was on hold for 30 minutes before getting to speak to someone. After speaking to someone, I ask to speak to a supervisor and was ignored. They said that it was ETS' fault, because in their system it said I was supposed to take my test the 7th. Now, I am expected to pay the $50 reschedule fee once more to adjust my time to before the 22nd, which it was supposed to be anyway. Also, I am missing my deadlines for graduate school as well. It is a game of phone tag trying to call between ETS and Prometrics. Thank you, Prometrics and GRE, for a truly awful experience.

I registered to take the GRE, showed up on my test date, and was told the test center was closed. The four other test takers and I were furious. The GRE is a stressful test, and we had prepared emotionally and mentally for the 5 hour test. Additionally, half of us had program application deadlines within the month. We were told it was an error on the part of Prometric. They were supposed to call us the following business day to resolve the issue, and they never did.

I had to call Prometric, and they did NOTHING to try to make up for their mistakes. They blamed ETS, and ETS blamed Prometric. Prometric did not take responsibility for their mistake, and they did not attempt to make efforts to remedy the situation. Neither company did. Unfortunately, Prometric and ETS seem to have a monopoly on the test taking services and registration, and it's very sad that education has come to this. It's an incredibly unprofessional business.

Most times, I have had problems trying to pay for my exam rescheduling fee online. Today, I tried and had the same problem, I would try to process my payment online and it could not be processed. I double checked to make sure I was entering the correct information and I still got the same results. I then checked my card balance and I had a balance of $43, enough to cover the $35 reschedule fee. So I called Prometric to complete the payment by phone, and even after several attempts directly through Prometric, my payment was still declined. I then contacted my credit card company and had them look into the matter. They said that my transaction went through for Prometric and to contact them. My credit card company also said they noted the numerous attempts I took to process this payment. I called Prometric again only to find on their end that my payment was still coming up as declined.

I asked the assistant what time zone are they actually in, because I thought that the time difference could be an issue and that was when he told me "Southeast Asia". I got angry because that explained everything. On the website they give you toll free numbers that are supposed to be eastern time as stated on the site and I'm calling South East Asia!!! FOR SOME REASON I SMELL A RAT!!! So now the assistant offered me the opportunity to speak to the supervisor about the whole ordeal, and that was strange as well because the supervisor's voice sounded just like the assistant's. The supervisor rescheduled my exam in good faith for May 19th at 1pm since my payment has been processed on my end. I requested that they call me as soon as they receive my payment and they obliged. I am eager to see if they will call me. My original exam was Wednesday, Apr 30th at noon time and I called them today, 28 Apr, well before the 24hr grace period.

If my payment hasn't been resolved by tomorrow I plan to take some legal action. Microsoft has more than enough money to establish a more reliable and reputable business with someone within the United States other than Prometric. As a full time student and a veteran, I shouldn't have to go through such difficulty just to reschedule an exam and neither should anyone else. I was even more disappointed when the assistant explained to me about the cost of $200 on his end that it took for him to investigate and try to resolve my issue when the issue was their problem, not mine.

This is not the first time I've had this problem, there were times when my transactions in the past went smoothly and I would receive my confirmation within a minute after my transaction was processed, but now things are much worse. The only real explanation that the Prometric assistant could give me about this issue was that the payment was "floating" somewhere and that they just doesn't receive it yet. The contact information is misleading on their website, Eastern Time is not Southwest Asian time!!!

I have taken 5 exams with this company. Some were for different licenses and some I failed. First off, their website is a joke. Nothing ever works and I have never been able to schedule an exam using it. It's very frustrating and completely worthless. So you have to fax your form in. Who has a fax machine nowadays? The biggest complaint I have is how rude everyone is on the phone. They are never helpful and treat you like garbage. Their exam schedule is terrible waiting 40 days between exams and that's with driving to other parts of the state. I just can't say enough bad about this company. Beyond awful. We all need to get together and petition our states and counties to not use them. I am going to. I believe everyone here who had bad experiences with this company.

I have had long waiting period of time always with Prometric. It's so difficult to schedule through the phone and online something is always wrong if it's not my social it's my address... always something! Well my employer decided to help me and advised to talk to English as a second language departments because of my language barrier. Well easier said than done. 3 letters faxed over a month and no response. Every time I called (and waited at LEAST 45 minutes) I received a different response. It was either I had to sign the letter, wait 24 hours... oh no you have to wait 48 hours.... Oh no its technically it's 72 hours wait period. Being bounced around from Testing accommodations to registrar 3 times AFTER I HAD PAID. ALL THEY WANT IS THEIR MONEY.

They knew I have an accent and I tried to be patient to the guy that tried to help me that ended up hanging up on my face. I called again....same thing another rep hung up on my face!!!! I really hope these calls are being recorded. What a piece of ** company I really hope they get bankrupt or something. What's the point of being such ** bags. It's called racism. They knew I had trouble speaking English and just abused it. Made me pay then said they couldn't register me and hung up on my face. I'm not done here. I'm making my voice loud and clear to these big guys that think they can be tough on the smaller people.

I registered for the exam on their very user unfriendly website. I got an email with an official receipt but no email confirming the date and time. Had I received an email confirming the date and time, I would have known that the date was wrong. I showed up for my exam on the 2/28 at 10:30 as scheduled; however, the system had me down for 2/27 at 10:30. I called Candidate Care and explained everything to her. She conveyed to me that it was too bad and that I would have to pay for the exam a second time. I asked her to look at the facts and if she did not have the authority to reschedule without requiring that I pay a second time, to please connect me with someone who did have the authority. I guess she didn't like that because she put me on hold for what she said would be one to two minutes. Never once did she come back on the line to tell me I would be holding for a while longer.

After 9 minutes more on hold, I hung up. I then called back. After 11 more minutes on hold, I finally hung up. Their hold recording stated that my call was very important to them. Clearly, it was not and neither was my business. There was no way to know a mistake was made because there was no date/time confirmation email sent. The company is tasked with a very important service to provide to customers. It is clear that Prometric does not have the ability or the personnel to provide that service efficiently. Do not schedule your certification exam with this company. Use Pearson Vue instead.

I tried cancelling online 3 times 2 days in advance, and when I selected the cancel option, it never registered. I tried calling 2 days in advance and the day before, but could not get a human to talk to cancel, - and had no cancel option to cancel that actually worked. My boss witnessed everything. I even tried the testing center twice to cancel, but they said I had to cancel through Prometric. I was listed as a no show on exam day, and not refunded. I have called to get a refund to no avail. I filled out the online refund request to no avail, and have no email responses to my emails. This company is ripping people off!

I had applied to take the computer based Praxis I test. After thinking and studying about it, I thought it might be better to take the paper test so I could mark up my test with notes, I can't do that on a computer test. I went on to change my computer test to a paper test. It let me stop the computer test but then wanted to charge me for the paper test. I had already paid $130 for the computer test. I assumed it would switch to the paper test. To my surprise it did not!

Then to my surprise it wouldn't even let me put it back to a computer test without charging me again. I immediately sent a note to the customer service people, who then a day later, informed me I couldn't change from a computer based test to a paper test and that my money had been refunded. I did not want the money to be refunded I just wanted things put back the way they originally were.

I proceeded to call the company and they informed me the same thing and told me I was only receiving back $60 of the $130 I paid. So not only did it not set me up with a test but now they ripped me off for $70! To take that much of someone’s money is a crime! They refused to set it back up like it was before and they refused to refund all my money. I could see a small amount being kept for their trouble but over half of what I paid! These guys are the only one to be able to do the testing so they can get away with crime mob tactics by stealing people's money!

I am on unemployment and that was all the money I had to do the testing with. Now, how am I supposed to pay for my testing? What a syndicate they have going on, ripping people off! I’m very angry and upset that they have the right to do this to people! Since when do companies get to keep over half of what a person pays them if they have to change or cancel something?

After several months of preparation, I applied for "Oracle Iz0-001" exam. I chose GT Solutions Inc in Midtown Manhattan as my Testing Center. I completed the Exam ... reviewed the answers and then clicked on the "END" button on the screen, waiting eagerly for the Score. There came a msg saying "Printing Report ... Please wait" ... and I waited and waited and waited.

5 minutes passed. I called the related Prometric person for help. This responsible person came inside the test hall, waited for a while and then pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Del" while the screen was still showing the same msg "printing... wait..." Then, he restarted the machine ... it was 9 p.m. I am still in NYC. I live in NJ. I chose this NY center because it is closer to my workplace so that I could take the exam after my work hours.

Anyway, I took this exam on the 19th of June. Today is the 30th of June and Prometric hasn't shown me my scores. I am calling Prometric everyday. They put me on hold for at least an hour.

My daughter signed up to take the Praxis I test. She registered over the phone on 12/8/01 for a computer based test given at Sylvan Learning Center on 1/17/02. Sylvan Learning Center administers the test for Prometrics. When my daughter told me about the "entry into all areas" test we questioned the need for it. On Monday I called the state of North Carolina, one of the states she is considering applying to, and they said she did not need the test.
Prometrics in their information booklet is very confusing. The information is so general, they cover so many tests. They make it sound as though you need to take both the Praxis I and II. My complaint is this: If we cancel the registration for the $130 test the most we get back is $60. I don't think this practice should be permitted. I called the credit card company and was told the charge had not even been cleared, yet Prometrics will not cancel the registration without penalty.

I can only imagine how many college students Prometrics refuses to issue full refunds to. There should be some provision for people to change their mind and cancel within hours or days of registering without incurring charges for services not rendered.

I would like to voice my complaint about an experience I had with the professional certification company Sylvan Prometric and the Oracle Certification Program in particular. Recently, I had the opportunity to take the Oracle Certification exam for Application developers. This is not a cheap exam to take. The cost of each exam is $150 and there are five exams that need to be passed in order to receive certification. It takes months to prepare for a single exam. The entire certification process can take over a year.
The Application Developer exam consists of two different tracks, one for each version of the Oracle Developer product. A track is a course of study that will lead to a certification. In this case there are five related tests one must take in order to receive their certification. I completed all of the five tests in the latest developer track. This took me just over a year to complete and countless hours of studying and preparation. The exams were difficult and lengthy and I felt they were not entirely fair in some instances. I ended up repeating two of the exams, which means my total cost for the exams was $1050.
After all of my exams were completed, I waited diligently for three months for my certification. During this time, I received no word from Sylvan Prometric or Oracle. Lucky for me the certification wasnf't too crucial for my career at that point. Finally, I got curious and decided to give the certification center a call. After calling the certification center, they told me that I should wait about three weeks and my certification should be there by then. If it didn't arrive, I should give them a call and try to resolve the situation that way.
Of course the certification did not arrive by the date and I had to make another call. The person who answered my call was nice enough but didn't have any training or any capacity to help me with my problem. He told me that e-mail would be the best way to get the fastest response. He also indicated that my situation would have to be related to a manager and that could take a week. Finally, about a week later, I got a message from one of the managers at the test center. They told me that I had not taken one of the tests in the track. After going through all of my information, I found that indeed one of the tests was wrong. This was due to no fault of my own. All ordering of tests is done through Oracle's test scheduling system over the phone. The test names and codes were taken directly from my study manual and there is no way that I could have made a mistake. Sylvan Prometric made the mistake of giving me the wrong test and haven't done as little as offering me an apology.

After asking politely for some resolution on this matter, they have refused to respond. Financial loss was $1050. There could be considerable potential financial losses related to my career and salary.

Sylvan Prometric Company Profile