3.51/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

1415 University of Phoenix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

To keep this as short as possible, I decided to enroll into college after talking with family. I decided it was the best way for me to better my life for not only myself, but for my children. So in early November of 2017 I began searching for colleges. I happened to find the University of Phoenix which was perfect for me because I could move close to campus and start school. Upon talking with the recruiter we discussed options and what would be best for me. After a long phone call I authorized automatic monthly payments right from my direct deposit to cover tuition. It was also decided that I was a little far from their Phoenix campus and their Tucson campus was shutting down, so I would have to enroll online just until my Student aid came in, at which time I would be able to move closer to campus and switch back to Physical studies.

After the little details were worked out I was assigned to a Representative that not only cost me hours of stress and problems, but also nearly cost me my children and my schooling. You see I was a fool and trusted the University to be reliable and honest. That the documents I signed, and verbal agreements I made actually meant something... I was SOOO wrong. This particular person I was in contact with started breaking the law and school policy when he had me sending him private information, documents, and other sensitive information. I was ignorant to the fact that my documents, and other school info was supposed to be submitted online directly to the Financial Aid office. Instead he was getting all my info first hand and then submitting it for me. To skip ahead I submitted everything asked to this representative, social security card, bank verification documents, school documents, Student Aid documents, and the list goes on.

After everything was submitted I was told it would take up to 90 days from the start of my first class to receive the student aid I was accepted for which is a little over $15,000.00. Ok no problem I wait, I start school, school comes and goes, no money. So I contact my representative only to find out certain documents were never submitted and are needed again (Oh this happens a lot). So I submit them again and I'm told that I just got them in on time, and that I'm being "bumped" to the top of some list and when the student aid arrives I will get my Financial Aid first. Funds will be here within 2-3 weeks but before the end of the month, just wait. So I wait some more. Ok mistakes happen. I waited. No problem. 4 weeks comes and goes. No money. I contact them again only to find to my amazement that my representative has been fired for "Unknown Reasons" and that none of the required information was ever submitted.

This is when I learned all info should have been submitted to the website. Not sent back and forth in emails. I'm also told that I missed funding and would need to forgo the entire process AGAIN and wait up to the 90 days again. Now I'm pissed and worried and a million other things because something that was supposed to better my life is ruining it. All the choices I made, investments done are to prepare for the move to Phoenix to get a new chapter started in my life, and they are being burned to the ground. I have no way of proving the representative stole my money, but what I do have is the emails sent back and forth containing the many documents and even my sensitive info. I also have proof he's fired, and I know that despite me getting everything in on time, no money arrived even though all the other students did get theirs.

The nightmare isn't yet over as I fall victim to them AGAIN and believe that ok this time is different. Before the agent lied, screwed you over but now you are submitting everything right to the website and it will go as planned. So I submit everything again, and wait the 90 days, and to my fears, no money. New year is here so the old documents they had aren't valid and I have to redo them AGAIN. At this point I'm starting to realize that I'm an idiot for ever trusting this scamming pirates and I begin calling other Universities. To my horror I am told that not only is this highly unusual, but its borderline criminal. Now I'm freaking out wondering if I should stay and resubmit what they need and hope the Financial Aid comes, or find another university and try the struggle again.

I actually did both, I started talking with other recruiters telling them my situation but I also submitted what Phoenix asked for and asked when aid would arrive as well as when I needed to start paying my tuition. I explained the previous agreement and documents signed allowing the university to take their payments. I was told to wait and not to make any payments until my financial aid came in. Skip ahead to the present and I never enrolled with another college. I stayed with Phoenix and the student aid Finally arrived. However yet again the battle continues as now the University has stolen my Financial aid and out of the $15,000.00 only wishes to give me a little over 2k. Despite DENYING authorization to take ANY of my Financial Aid for any reason. Leaving me solely responsible to pay for things, which was what I agreed to anyway with the monthly payments.

I was told it was taken for tuition, and when I explained, "I denied those authorization forms," to "Please check my account," I'm told nothing can be done and no refund will be given. This school isn't a school. It's a business and research has taught me their Number one source of income is Financial aid. They aren't here to better peoples lives, they are here to leech off the backs of qualified students to raise their own personal goals. I'm not rich, in fact I'm very poor, I have no money to fight them in court and they know this. What they have done is illegal and immoral and they need to fix their screw up. All I wanted was to work things out with them, but instead I'm forced to write this review in hopes someone...anyone can help.

I may not have all the money in the world but I am an honest hard working mother trying her damn best to get somewhere against all odds. I have a voice and I won't stop until it's been heard. I don't want what has happened to me to happen to anyone else, so please listen to my review and stay away! Don't run the risk of planning your life around an institute that isn't going to have your back.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I completed all my classes years ago - I ended up having to defer my loan payments for several years and now they are in the hands of a collection agency. I was never told by U of P that they were a private college; therefore the cost was significantly higher than most schools. As of now, I owe $106,000.00 for a bachelor's degree in Business Management that has done nothing for my career. I do have a great job and make decent money, but it had nothing to do with my degree. That school needs to be upfront and honest with prospective students about their costs.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I would like to preface my review with sharing the fact that as an enrollee in the MicroMasters Data, Economics and Developmental Policy program at MIT, I have to credit UOP and the legitimacy of their pedagogy for my current success. The University of Phoenix is a regionally accredited online program that stresses the importance of critical thought and research for all of their science relative programs. Each course that I took challenged my literacy, aptitude, creative process and cognitive fluidity. Their courses assess and evaluate students based on their working memory, cognitive flexibility, fluid intelligence and inhibitory control. Students are required to write academically formatted collegiate papers, create professionally polished presentations as well as provide substantive responses to demanding queries posted by adjunct faculty and other students.

Earning competency and mastery in a course is challenging and requires dedication. The online learning system is asynchronous, and those who lack organizational skills, self-motivation, and intrinsic drive will potentially find the workload too epigrammatic. More often than not, people who criticize the validity of UOP's educational value are unqualified to analyze their curriculum and teaching staff and have no inkling of what level of proficiency is necessary to complete assignments and matriculate.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Clue #1 Before you register here PLEASE try to find as many EMPLOYED people as possible in YOUR state, in YOUR field of study with a degree from UoP. I had questions all along about my recruiting experience. I felt as if I have been scammed. There was definitely deception where my recruiter was concerned. The degree that he said I would ultimately end up signing loans for was nothing short of pure deception and I wish they could pull the tapes to confirm my comments. Shortly before the commencement ceremony I found out that the state I reside does not accept my degree nor does the state I was raised. My degree is basically no more than a certificate w/ no concentration in education.

I was also told in the middle of working toward my degree that they no longer offered the education degree I initially signed up for. It had been discontinued and it was undetermined if it would be offered in the future. Therefore I would have to choose another major. As you may imagine I was very disappointed and lost at this point because all I wanted to do was educate. Then magically when I went through the commencement ceremony I was offered that same degree that previously cease to exist. Now all of a sudden the degree is back but when I asked the recruiter would I be able to definitely teach in the state of Georgia/Ohio she used words like, “probably, see here’s what I’m saying, and let me go through and read to you about our classes”.

I listened patiently over the phone waiting for her to give me concrete words and assurance that I would be able to be an educator in the state of Georgia/Ohio with a bachelors degree from University of Phoenix. I never got confirmation. Needless to say there was none. But I did get an associates of arts (with a concentration in education. So they tell you.). However, in the state of Georgia it is worth a worthless certificate that is not worth the thumbtack hole in the wall to post but nevertheless it cost me $36,000… So I guess you can see I am a Phoenix… Yeah right! I am STILL degreeless and broke!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

University of Phoenix is a great school! I noticed majority of the people who write complaints regarding the college are always complaining about financial aid. Yes, we have to pay it back and it is our money, but financial aid is to help pay for school and things you need for school, it is not meant to help you because you do not have a job, medical bills, light bills, or water bills, it is meant to help you with COLLEGE! I am working towards my bachelor's degree now, and there are thousands of careers that accept University of Phoenix degrees, all you have to do is go to the website LinkedIn and apply. You will see careers that accept University of Phoenix degrees that have the phoenix logos next to them.

Nobody is going to walk up to you and give you a job, you have to apply yourself, and if you did or cannot get through the group participation programs with the college, how are you going to make it through a job working with others, I don't think it shows weakness on the college but on the individual who keeps complaining without putting any effort into becoming the best they can be. With this being said, I am a manager, my career accepted my University of Phoenix degree, and I'm pretty sure my next advanced career move will accept it as well. Have a great day, I am a Phoenix!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have one class left and a nightmare of a financial advisor, I would call her more of an extortionist. Do not go to this nightmare of a school, they are more interested in getting as much money out of you that they can, than offering you a valid education.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

University of Phoenix is not interested in education in any sort of valid method. Instructors are for the most part unavailable to speak to students and uninterested in students. Their refund policy is usurious. Dropped a class the first week of school and was only refunded 50% of my fees. I do not have a receipt because it was purchased online.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

UOP IT degree - Awesome school and more needs to be said about this school. Teachers were great and the coursework was challenging. I had an overall great experience with the staff and the students while taking my courses.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Was really satisfied and excited when I started. They never offered course selection and I wasn't getting anything out of my courses. I discussed this with my academic advisor and he agreed that I should drop out. I went for less than a year and owe over 5k after federal aid. The account was sent to multiple credit agencies.

It's been 3 years and I just found another collection agency I owe money to from them. I don't know how I'm going to get out of debt from them. Please review your payment history as well because that's where I'm finding discrepancies. Enrollment is pushy and fast. Teachers don't seem to want to give extra help when you ask for it. I was literally spending all my spare time trying to keep up in class and remember falling asleep more than once because I had to stay up late trying to understand the material, or keep up with the reading and assignments.

Javares Mayo of Tampa, FL

Original review: November 27, 2017 Concorde Career College had a dental assistant program that I wanted to do. There were about 20 people in my classes. I like their staffs and instructors' level of professionalism and knowledge about their job. Concorde is an amazing school to go to. You just need to stay focused to succeed.

AdConsumer recommended
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I enrolled in 2013 with UOP. Completed my Associates in 2015. I continued to reach for licensing and needed 6 more credits in which after reaching that they told me that they don’t help with any licensing processes that I would have to contact the department of education. After that I continued onto my bachelors and still the same thing.

I found out recently I through Apollo group was opened 12 loans to pay for my schooling. It wasn’t under one loan. They also told me that they would help with job placement which was then directed to a portal on the student site. Mind you completing classes online and in Maine searching for jobs and finding something there wasn’t anything! I think they just wanted me to enroll for the increase of student enrollment and nothing more!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

When I first enrolled in this school, I was very pleased and satisfied with my experience. After about attending for a year, circumstances arose to where I needed to take a leave of absence. I filed the paperwork and did all the correct protocol. When I tried to return to the school within the set amount of time, I was informed I had been dismissed and had been turned over to collections. I was very upset and shocked. I refused to pay them anything because I had the paperwork stating when I could return and like I mentioned I returned within that amount of time. Eventually they stopped bothering me and was forced to pay it themselves since legal action had been taken against them by other students with the same issues. I will not say this is a horrible school, I fully enjoyed the classes. But the bad experience alone had me really thinking it was a SCAM!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When I became a student at the University of Phoenix back in May of this year, I was so excited to further my education. I can honestly say that I do feel like I am learning in my classes, and my instructors and fellow classmates have been very helpful. I currently have a 3.9 GPA, and I fully intend on maintaining it. However, my recent experience with the financial aid department has shredded my positive attitude towards this school entirely. My first financial aid disbursement back in June (student loans and Pell Grant) came through just fine with no issues. I am a stay at home mother and my husband works full-time.

When enrolling, I made it very clear that I would not be working while in school full-time, and that the financial aid I received while in school was going to be my only income. I was assured at that time that this is what most unemployed students did, and this wouldn't be a problem. Fast forward to last month, September 20th, 2017. I was due to receive my next disbursement, so my husband and I planned out which bills we would pay using that money. I received nothing on that day, and no explanation. I did not immediately fly off the handle because the money was late. I decided to reach out to my academic and financial aid advisors to see what the hold up was.

I was assured at that time through an email that my aid was being verified and processed, and to give them a few more business days to get it done. On September 23rd, my laptop completely broke. I am an online full-time student, so things like my laptop should be considered a necessity in order for me to get my assignments done correctly and submitted on time. Did anyone care that I now have to travel 30 mins. both ways to my mother's home in order to use her computer? No. Did anyone care that our car broke down last week and is currently still sitting at the shop? No.

The worst part of all this? My family and I were directly affected by the mass shooting here in Las Vegas recently. I pleaded with my financial advisor to please get the ball rolling on my money because I needed to go donate blood, and contribute what I could to the funerals and medical bills of the two people we lost. We are still devastated. Even after that, ONLY my awesome academic advisor reached out to me personally to offer her condolences. My financial advisor decided to completely ignore what I said, and instead sent me a generic response about my aid being verified again. What exactly needs to be verified? This is the exact same paperwork and tax transcripts that they had on file for us when they released my funds in June. None of our information has changed and I am doing an excellent job in my classes.

So here we are, Monday October 9th, and I still haven't received ANY detailed information as to why the money is late nor why my information is still in the verification stage. As of September 27th, my student loans processed to my account. How can my student loans be applied but not the grant money, which the school receives all at one time? They are holding on to my money, and I don't know why. I have been calling the number all day trying to reach a financial advisor, and I was on hold for about 15 mins. each time before hanging up. (It has never taken that long to get someone on the line.)

I am strongly considering filing a formal complaint with the D.O.E. if I do not receive some valid answers soon. My family is having to suffer because someone in their office refuses to click a few buttons and approve my funds. This is unacceptable, and I hope those of you considering this school please take this into consideration. If this isn't handled soon, I will also be looking to transfer out. I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My experience with the University of Phoenix financial aid department has been very deceptive. Lately, they told me that I don't qualify for no more financial aid and I'm just 15 credits from receiving my bachelors in psychology. This school basically told me that I should be fine on financial aid for future classes when I first attended but after I received my associates of arts degree in psychology they persuaded me to continue on with my bachelors and that everything would work out ok, which was a lie. On top of that they said I owe out of pocket a balance of 1900 dollars that I don't have, long story short they turned my account over to a collection agency which is unheard of. This school is bogus and they don't even have in school scholarships available for students which is very unheard of in my book.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I went to University of Phoenix for 4 years, graduated 2013. 5 years later, I have a B. S in Business and stuck with $60,000 in student loans (which I can't even pay) because employers do not consider University of Phoenix as an accredited University. For my orientation, University of Phoenix informed all new students it was the best thing for someone that worked full-time, that once you graduated you were guaranteed a job in the field that you studied in, they did job placements blah blah blah... I really wish I would have seen right through their lies and Antics to lure new students. I can't even begin to pay my student loans back because I can't find a job that actually considers my degree an accredited University. My minimum payments are $700 a month, I'm a bartender I can't afford that. Due to my student loans, my credit is shot.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I found when people are not doing well academically they have fantasy notions, of an easy-out with high pay. Well, I found the U of P to be excellent at one thing. That is getting you a degree. That is it. The knowledge you gain is directly related to your effort. The U of P teaches out-dated concepts. Such as teaching SDLC instead of the sought after OOP method of BSIT. I got my degree. 3.85 GPA. This opened the door to tons of job opportunities I could already perform, but now I had an official piece of paper that said "He is trainable" to the employer. If I had to do all over I would still choose this route because I was a full-time employee with a family (limited free time).

Original review: July 8, 2017

I have been going to this school a little over a year and I'm so disappointed with the financial aid team. It been almost 2 months that I have not received anything. They keep flipping the stories and everything. It was supposed to be 24-48 hours before my hold on my account was up and here it is another week is passing by. Now they saying it is a technology glitch. SMH. 3 different supervisors are suppose to be working on my account, I was suppose to receive 2 phone call back before they closed yesterday and still nothing. This is ridiculous that people are waiting on their money like they don't have to pay it back. They need to do something about this because it's ridiculous. People that don't have job and is going to school depends on things like this but it's always a million reasons why you didn't receive it on time so I will for sure be furthering my education somewhere else.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Hello garbage school. Why do you take almost a month to submit attendance to the VA? UOP has changed their attendance structure several times since I've been attending and it gets worse every single time. The VA system is already crap enough and you're becoming just like them. The funny thing is, I asked my financial advisor if UOP is the only one who takes this long to submit attendance and he said yes. That being said I'll be leaving this selfish, garbage and unprofessional "school" and enter into a read educational institution. Oh and don't think I'm new to the school because I'm not. When I first got my bachelor's there the system was good. Now getting my masters and it's crap. Congratulations you have received 1 star and only because because there wasn't a trash can option instead. From a vet who served 2 full terms, thanks for nothing.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Before 5/25/2017 Nevada teachers needed to pass a test or take course work on Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution, and US Constitution. Phoenix offered a class to satisfy all three requirements. That requirement has been revoked by the State of Nevada. I found this out 2 weeks into a 3-week class. I feel I should get 1/3rd my money back since this class no longer fulfills any need and it was the only reason I took the class. These are extenuating circumstances but Phoenix refused to work with me for a Phoenix. In essence, they gave me the middle finger.

Original review: June 6, 2017

This was the WORST school that I have ever attended. Yes enrolling is quite easy. Out of 120 credits that I had they only transferred about 60. I have been going to this school for 2 1/2 years and I have only completed about 15 credits. Twice I have had issues with them telling me I owed a balance only to find out I didn't. Both times this has happened it took them over 6 months to correct. A whole year wasted that I could of been in school. Now once again they have me with a balance of $2,198. They told me that I owed it because I didn't sign a paper that was never sent to me! Ridiculous! Trying to reach an advisor takes forever even though they are supposed to contact you within 24 hours. Everything about this school is expensive and about money. I came here because it was convenient for me but I have pretty much wasted my time at this school!!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I finished a MBA in 2012, UOP is not accredited with high standards of national university. When I stayed in the university was good with the accreditation but not. The university has problems. I need my money back.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I agree with gentleman who hasn't received his financial aid refund, I am in the same situation. Something needs to be done about this because several students have not or did not receive their funds. I didn't take out a loan for the school to keep it and I am the one who has to repay it.

Original review: June 1, 2017

University of Phoenix has excellent platform and high quality program. I do a search online and read so many reviews and some related information about them before I choose them. I love the whole process and the helpful features. They are all very easy to use and really help me very well during the process. I like taking the process and enrolling the system.

Original review: June 1, 2017

University of Phoenix's classes were far too expensive and the program doesn't really get respect. I didn't like working in teams, I felt like I was often doing all the work while other people were just showing up and the grading wasn't explained well. However, the courses have been helpful. I'm more well rounded and I was able to learn new stuff and review things from my high school education. The information was relevant and I could learn at a pace that was comfortable for me. I liked being able to sharpen my writing skills. I also liked not having to commute.

Original review: May 31, 2017

University of Phoenix is self paced so it is flexible to those that are working full time or part time and taking classes from home. Flexibility is very helpful and the cost is reasonable. However, more hands on projects could be offered to reinforce the material.

Original review: May 30, 2017

This school does not teach you anything. Instead, they throw a bunch of information at you during a 5 week class period. There are no practice sheets, no webinars where the professors actually explain the processes for formulas (especially in the math courses). I've actually had to Google and watch videos on YouTube to find more information so I could actually learn. This is not what I am paying for, nor do I see this actually being beneficial in my chosen career field because even with a degree I couldn't go and get a job because I don't know anything. This school is just a diploma mill, get your money, give you your credits and then your piece of paper with no real education. I am looking to transfer out.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The enrollment process is fairly easy and straightforward. Once you decide that this is the institution for you, then you will be assigned a liaison who will keep in contact with you throughout the enrollment process. They will ensure all of your paperwork is turned in on time and help you choose your classes. I like that the classes are not big and you are able to have a better teacher student relationship. I also like that the classes are self-paced where you do not have strict deadlines to turn in assignments. As long as they are in before the end of the semester then you are fine. But I dislike that I cannot physically go in and have a face-to-face meeting with my professor. At times it is hard to explain a question or concern via email, therefore, I wish at times I could see my professor or even Skype call them.

Original review: May 28, 2017

University of Phoenix have great faculty, like physical schools. Usually I just go to an online portal and choose the classes I want to take. Then I enroll and later pay the amount I owe. However, some of the hidden costs are frustrating.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The enrolling and taking courses process are both very easy to use and help us more. It is also one of the main reasons I choose the University of Phoenix. There are so many good features on the online platform. I really like them because I used them three or more times before.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The program at University of Phoenix was easy to follow and helped me to achieve my goals. The courses got me into the job I have now. It was my first online experience. I knew exactly what I needed to study, what assignments were due and when. When I had to finish quizzes and tests, I always felt like I could reach out for help if I had questions. I was in touch with someone from the University regularly through email, who was extremely helpful and very nice and made the process less stressful. However, the cost seemed much too high for an online program and one that was helping me to further my career, meaning it did not offer a degree.

Original review: May 25, 2017

The whole process of enrolling and taking courses are very easy. Everyone who use them once would love to use them again. It is easy to engage with the online platform and the courses are helpful. The University of Phoenix would fits me the most because it has the helpful features and the online platform has the best programs. I would choose them for different needs, it also has the unique price and no matter who you are. It is good enough and I used them for many times before. You'd better to know them clearly before you use them.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs