University of Phoenix

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to UoP several years ago. I was enrolled for less than 18 months and have student loan debt totaling over $20000. The learning teams are a joke and the "instructors" are there to collect a paycheck. Even when alerted to BLATANT plagiarism, they do nothing. I learned absolutely nothing in the courses I took because they were just a rehash of the content I learned while earning my associate's degree at a real school.

When I checked into going to a brick and mortar school in my hometown, I found that NONE of what I had done at UoP would be considered. I completed 12 courses and they said I still had 3 years to go. Not sure how that is possible when I already have an AAS in the same field of study. If you consider the amount of money you have to pay to attend this "university" and the fact that none of the courses transfer and most employers find the degree you receive there as irrelevant, is it really worth it? I think not. I wish I had been warned against attending and instead just enrolled in the actual college here. I was virtually debt free until that fateful decision to check out UoP. Even if you are just checking it out, they can have you enrolled before you know what hit you. Yes, it was my decision to go but I wish I had known what a colossal waste of time and resources it would turn out to be.

They held my funds after going to classes for months and getn as they are crooks. I submitted all paperwork including tax documents and they keep my money still having released and said they have my money and they just not going to release my money. I hate this place. I need my money. I'm a single mom of 3 and it's the holidays. I withdrew and I'm trying to file a complaint and legal representation.

This is so sad to see that UoP doesn't give you your money. I have been trying to get my money from this school since Sept and I kept getting the runaround or some IDK answers. At this point I really don't want to attend this school anymore. The teachers are ok. The teacher I have now she just grades how she wants. She doesn't grade like any of my other teachers I've had in the past. The FAFSA is really what has me upset with this school. The classes are paid for but you can get tot money back.

I re-enrolled with U of P after I had took a break from school. My first class started on September 20, 2016. Since the start of class my file has been in review for quality insurance. I've been told the same excuse it would be processed in 5 to 7 business days or it could take 30 to 60 days. In the meantime my bill is getting higher. I know I have student loan funds but the financial aid department is taking its time processing my account. My financial advisor or lack thereof Geoffrey ** is a joke. He sounds like he is reading a script when I talk to him. He does not return emails or calls. I'm very dissatisfied with the lack of customer service at University of Phoenix. I'm pulling an "A" in my class so far and I don't want to worry about finances at this point. Does anyone know who else I can complain to about this school's financial aid processing.

I was very excited to return to school to finish my degree after a few years of being away from college to raise my family. The enrollment process was fantastic, my enrollment specialist was super and during the enrollment process when I had financial aid or technical questions, they were available and quick to help. That is where it ends.

Once I was "in" everything went downhill. My first couple of orientation courses were fine, but once I started in my core courses I realized the instructors were not there to teach but rather to grade assignments and their grading is speculative at best. It is based on their interpretation of the syllabus, their personality and if you ask questions ahead of time to avoid a misinterpretation, you will either be ignored, they will answer you at the last minute so you will already have the assignment done or they will answer you with another question or be very vague so you still have no real answer.

I will add right here that I have finished 6 courses with UoP now and I have a 3.8 GPA so my issue is not with my lack of desire to want to do the work. I have used two personal days from work, stayed up until 1 am on work nights, many times and it has never been because I was procrastinating or didn't want to do it. It has been because I was waiting on proper instruction, an answer I never received, or struggling through new material I was teaching myself by watching YouTube videos or reading articles on Google.

The instructors do not really teach... they just pop in every once in a while to toss in their two cents on a discussion post and grade assignments. Then, there are learning teams. Which are a horrible idea. Without getting into a whole lot, you are placed in a group with a bunch of strangers to do a group project, sometimes over the course of the entire 5 weeks and your grade is based on you AND their work. So if they do D work, you get a D too. If you do A work and they do D work, you just handed them an A. It is not graded on participation in the group... but actually grades produced. You can ensure everyone gets an A, including yourself by just doing the work of 4 or 5 people yourself. And that is essentially what the A students end up having to do to keep their GPA.

Then there are the once a month technical problems when you can't get into your classroom. Tools not working and no one will fix them, but you will be billed $140 per course resource fee... which brings me to my next point: FINANCIAL AID. UoP currently owes me $2800, and I can see by reading the posts on here that I am not the only one. I filed a complaint with the Dept. of Education Nov. 3rd as my money was to disperse on November 1st and they have been screwing around and making up excuses for weeks now. The best thing I got yet was this past Thursday.

I scheduled a leave of absence for the month of December to spend time with my family over Christmas. You can take courses off without it affecting your financial aid. The only thing it affects is disbursements. If you have a disbursement scheduled while you are on a leave of absence, your money will not disperse until you come back. I was not in that situation because my disbursement date was November 1st and I scheduled my LOA to start November 29th.

Well after getting excuse after reason after excuse about why I have not received my disbursement on the date it was supposed to disperse (November 1st) I received an email from the person "working" on my ticket that said I need to be aware that if they get my financial aid "packaged" and schedule a disbursement after next week, I will not get it because I will be on a LOA and their policy manual says I can't have it. Then they continued on to email me the policy manual to read. I can see where this is going. I am never getting my money back, and they will probably find a way to say I owe them when I withdraw after this course is done next week.

They currently have me locked out of my account tab. When I click on it to see my financial statements, it says my account is "under review" and it's been that way for weeks. I took screenshots of everything before they locked me out though, so I am not worried. :) I have already been in contact with my attorney, and FAFSA says my student aid has been done on my end for months and sent to UoP. In my time self teaching on Google these past few months, I came across several articles indicating that UoP has been sued for this at least twice. Let everyone's reviews on here be a warning to you if you have not enrolled yet... Don't!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

My financial counselor was a bloody joke. The only time I ever heard from her was when it was time to pay for an upcoming class. Now see, here's the thing: I would get emails demanding payment for an upcoming class, right when I am in the second week of a specific, five week class! I wouldn't even be one third of my way through one class, and these jerks would demand payment for a class that I won't be taking for almost a month! I'm in an IT related degree program, and have learned nothing useful. NOTHING.

Over the last three classes, I literally have learned NOTHING of value; the class that I am in is nothing more than a rehash of that which I learned TWO CLASSES AGO, right up to and including identical final assignments - I DO love having to complete the same logical and physical network diagrams, for the same network, twice.Ooh, ooh, OOH! Lets not even get into their wonky credit transfer policy: I've already completed a Bachelor's degree in one field, and as such have already completed lower division (100 and 200 level) classes - 60 credit hours worth, all of which with a b or better.

THESE weirdos, when I started with them, wanted me to take the classes I had already finished with a B or better, AGAIN, with no explanation as to why I need to retake the same classes. What is even more infuriating is the fact that, during the second week of class, I started receiving emails demanding payment for my NEXT class. That's right! I didn't even finish the second week of the class I'm IN before UOP tried to shake me down for the payment for my NEXT class.

Add to this the fact that more than half of the class is plagiarizing information for their postings (one clown plagiarized every single one of his postings for the last four weeks - from places such as Wikipedia, Microsoft, and howstuffworks, and nothing has presumably been done to dissuade his theft in spite of the fact that I have informed the instructor of this plagiarism on more than one occasion.) I am not impressed AT ALL at how this crap degree program has gone. THIS IS DISGUSTING. I am DONE.

I attended UOPX from 2012-2016. I have never been to another college so I can't really compare, but my experience was wonderful. I am a veteran and utilized the GI bill. I did run out of benefits and had to pay $1200+/- out of pocket but it was mostly due to an oversight on my part. You can double up on courses and attend for 2 nights a week if you are attending a ground campus. If you do this for 6 months then you will have GI benefits remaining.

Reading the reviews on here has shown me a solid trend. Most of the negative reviews pertain to financial aid, student loans, etc. I don't think you can rate someone poorly based on that alone. The education does have merit in my opinion. Nine out of ten courses you will be in a learning team, which builds camaraderie. The learning teams are not always the greatest, but I still think it's beneficial. I personally do not like taking courses online so I can't comment on those.

As a full time working adult I obtained my bachelors degree in business management in 4 years. I took a 3 month break in there and doubled up on classes here and there. My GPA is a 2.5 and I probably spent about 10 hours a week on it (4 hours were in class). My classmates would say that I am smarter than the average person. I would say that anyone can do what I did and have a degree.

I dropped out of high school in the 10th grade and obtained my GED when I was 21 to join the military. I do not find education to be the most essential thing in life and only viewed my education as a means to make money (Post 9/11 GI Bill). That said, I still think the education has merit at this institution. In order for me to find something interesting and put my time into it, I must be challenged. I did not find most of my time challenging, but many of my classmates did. I could have invested more time and easily gained more knowledge out of this institution, but I did not.

In summary, if you put the time in at UOPX it can be a very rewarding education. If you just do the bare minimum you have to, then you will still learn many things. If you are working full time or raising children, then this place is for you. If you are fresh out of high school and expect to be babied and for someone to hold your hand along the way, this is not for you.

I went to school few years ago. I thought I had paid off my student loan debt, however 9 years later I found out that is not the case. I received financial aid and pell grants that covered all of my educational expenses. However, after a few months I realized I wasn't learning much of anything there so I transferred to better school. The University of Phoenix was obligated to send the state back any money that was not used. In this case, I withdrew from my math class before I transferred. However, the University of Phoenix then turned around and charged me for the money that they were legally required to send back. Now I have an outstanding balance of $1362.00.

I have had a financial audit done on the account, but no resolution. I've decided to go back to school, but now I'm having to pay this before they'll release my transcripts in order to do so. This is from an email I received in regards to my financial audit. They clearly write out "Funds Returned to Lender." It's important to note that I didn't attend a day of this class. Title IV Loan/Pell Grant funds disbursed ($8,650.00). Student payments ($389.00). Internal adjustments ($45.00). Total credits ($9,084.00). Tuition/Fees $7,781.00. Credit balance funds to student $1,009.00. Funds returned to lender $1,656.00. Total debits $10,446.00. Account balance $1,362.00.

I'm confused on why money is being charged when 1) I didn't attend the class and my account shows a "W" for withdrawal. 2) The funds were returned to my lender, but if I legitimately owed that amount, then legally they should've been allowed to keep it. I have no idea how long this is going to take to fix or if it's even fixable. Unfortunately, like most people it's easier to pay it off than to try and argue over it. I just need my transcripts so I can better my life.

If you have been having issues with University of Phoenix disbursing your financial aid, you can file a complaint with the department of education - Federal Student Aid. I am on the same boat with everyone here. I have been attending since August 16th and I still have not yet received my award letter nor disbursement. I have been given the worst excuse which is that their new system is delaying the process. I do not believe it because I have never heard such a thing.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when my financial aid adviser asked me to submit my w2s (if I have not called in, I would have never known if I need to submit extra paperwork). I have asked her when will I be receiving an update or let alone a reward letter, she told me that it may take up to another 60-90 days. That would mean that I would receive my disbursement by next year. I had enough. If you want to file a complaint, you can go and log into https://feedback.studentaid.ed.gov/.

I started school August 16th, 2016 and every time I log in I see something about a review process. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? And when I log in to my Studentloans.gov page I had a disbursement date of Sept. 3, 2016 and I have not receive anything from this school. What is going on? Can anyone tell me how long can the school hold your funds. I need my funds. I am a single father. It will be time for a second disbursement Nov. 20.

My disbursement date was September 28 2016. I was supposed to had been received my excess funds now. My financial advisor told me the whole school is waiting on a origination fee to be updated from the department of education. I been in this school for four years and it always something I'm leaving after this program is finished.

This was one of the most frustrating, upsetting, and disappointing experiences I've ever had with a company. When I first called, my representative was very nice and enthusiastic and seemed to really know what she was doing. She was encouraging and seemed like she was going to help me get everything figured out. I was on maternity leave and I had a 2-month-old at the time that I started all of this. Well, he is almost 5 months old now and I still haven't finished the enrollment process!

The first problem was that I told her that I was wanting to major in HR Management, but she insisted that I try a different program because "it'd get me finished faster." I wasn't thrilled with that, but she said that it would tack on a LOT of extra courses to get what I wanted. Then, I had a C-Code (which nobody could really explain to me, so I had to look it up myself and ended up contacting FAFSA personally to find out what was going on with it). That's not their fault, it's the government - I get that. What I don't get is why nobody felt the need to relay this information to me initially.

I was also assigned to a financial aid advisor that was no longer with the company, and an academic advisor that was "doing a special project." I was trying to figure out who I needed to talk to in order to have something sent to my loan company stating that I was attempting to be enrolled full time, so that I didn't start getting charged for my past loans. My "representative" kept giving me phone numbers to call, rather than communicating with her peers herself. What's the point of a representative if I'm making all of the phone calls? So I'm told that I need to fill out a series of paperwork and send in my transcripts (for the second time) for unusual enrollment to take care of this C-Code. So I get everything ready, but then I'm told that I shouldn't send it until we know what the C-Code actually is. So then I was waiting again.

Meanwhile, my initial start date came and went. My rep told me that if I wanted to start, I could pay out of pocket. If I could pay out of pocket, I wouldn't be trying to get Financial Aid. Needless to say, I told her to push my start date. After me asking about my "team" again, I finally got a Financial Aid rep who told me the "research team" was working on my account. Another week later I was told that they needed my unofficial transcripts (third time, now). Another week went by and I inquired about why I still hadn't heard anything. She said that they were waiting on my unofficial transcript from one of my prior colleges (fourth time) and I corrected her and reminded her that they've had them this entire time. Then she said she needed it for this fall semester from the school I withdrew from in order to go to UoP!! By this point, I was getting infuriated. I wanted to know what was going on and literally nobody could give me answers.

So I called and spoke with a manager who told me that she would send me her contact information, but never did (to her credit, she did call me later to follow up after she got my "teams" butts in gear). They finally found out that the C-Code was "only verification" (which simply means that the SCHOOL can request extra info if they so choose, it has nothing to do with the government taking their time, as I'd been told multiple times was the problem). They requested a copy of my marriage license, so I submitted it on 10/03/2016. It is currently still "Under review" by the research team. This was an awful experience. I have withdrawn from the college and am going to be attending an online program through a local private university for the degree I actually WANT, and they got everything (including the C-Code) taken care of within two weeks. Don't bother.

I have been a student there for almost 2 years. Although I really liked the school and had positive experiences with most of the people there, I can't say the same for financial aid. It has become a constant battle to get my financial aid funds and scholarship funds. Every time the UOP owes me money, I have to call every day for months before I get it because, according to them, your account has to be reviewed every time they owe you money. They owe me money from months ago and they continue to put me off. I finally ended up withdrawing to go to a different university where I might be able to get my money when it is owed. Now I am starting over the review process with UOP because I withdrew... more months of waiting. I definitely would not recommend. Just as an aside, my GPA was a 3.91 so it's not sour grapes or anything, it was just too much stress fighting for what's rightfully mine.

This is my second year at the University of Phoenix. During my first year there was a problem with me getting my loans. When logged in to e-campus everything worked except the account tab which wouldn't allow me to sign for my loans. My financial advisor postponed giving me my loans until I decided that I didn't want to attend the school anymore. That's when she mailed me the information to be signed and I sent her the information via email. My disbursement was sent days later and miraculously my account was "fixed."

Moving along. Now that I have entered my second year same problem just a different lie. I made sure that I filled out my FAFSA ahead of time. When I received the notification to sign for my loans. I went ahead and did that the same day so there wouldn't be any problems. When I looked into my account I see two debit memos both for different amounts and a charge of 632.00 for an it class that I took. I immediately contacted my financial advisor for an explanation because I knew that I didn't owe for any classes. I've passed every class that I've taken there and I never missed a day.

She stated that the system randomly sent out debit memos to several students, the charge on my account is also a mistake, and they haven't received my financial aid yet. This sounds like ** once again. There is no way that I filled out information in July and it's been processed and send, but she's telling me something different. It's now almost October and that school hasn't received my loans. Yeah ** right.

I am currently a student at the UoP and I am horrified by the way they are doing things. After reviewing these comments I now realize that I have created a situation for myself that needs rectifying. I am getting the runarounds about my fafsa and student loans. No real answers. They simply keep requesting that I send in more information and my account is fine one minute then flagged the next. I'm so confused and don't want to get into more debt because of this. I need to know about class action suits, bbb, anything I can because I see right now it's about to be a problem with them. On top of that I'm not learning anything. Need help. How do you comment on other postings for responses, etc?

University of Phoenix has 100% Regional and National accreditation. It's also one of the largest schools in the country, their stadium held the Super Bowl for god sake. Take it from a graduate, veteran, and supervisor at my job. You get what you put in, I personally attended 3 different colleges before I found UOP. Personally, I enjoyed it, I learned a lot, it fit my schedule just fine. Who ever says the school is a scam, it's fake, whatever, has no clue what they're saying. Do your own research, Google the facts, read the actual articles.

This school has led me on from day one. No one has the answers to any questions. They only worry about making their commission off of your enrollment. Then you'll never hear back from them. Totally bs. They will not tell you anything about the school the degree. It's like walking into Walmart grabbing a roll of toilet paper. The financial aid could take up to 5 months. Yes 5 months. You will never hear from them and they don't have any precise information on when you will get your aid. I enrolled on Aug 16. It's almost October and they are telling me it could be another 6-8 weeks or so until they "review" my paperwork. Then the financial aide told me that if I have not received a disbursement that I would have to pay out of pocket because they have a new system. What kind of crap of a school is this. I'm so shocked right now.

It's been a few years since I attended the college but I will say this: When I attended, they maxed out my Pell Grant EACH term & I didn't receive anything back that wasn't used. Because of them, I now have an additional $18,000 I had to take out in student loans at a junior college, that I shouldn't have had to take out!!! Every time I've called them about this, it's been about 4 years, I get the runaround. I would NOT recommend this college to ANYONE!!! Not even my worst enemy!!!

At first all started out well, advisors called me every week to make sure all was well and that I getting back into a good study routine. My first few classes the instructors even called and asked if I needed help. Back in May I decided it would be better financially for me to attend a local school. I spoke with my advisors (academic and financial). I was told from both of them that if I left I would be held responsible for my remaining two classes in that block. I asked "how am I responsible for classes that have not been taken?" Well, come to find out they block your classes into a group of four and allocate your money for those classes. If you take them they get paid for, if you leave during that block you owe UOP. Which does not make sense. They will keep your FAFSA money and you pay them as well, they are double dipping on students.

I have been told that I have to pay for my last class in this block because some of my financial aid money is gone since I took a leave of absence. I filled out my paper work for the leave and was told that my financial aid would not be affected. I now do want to finish my last class. I want to be done with this school. If I do not finish this class I will have to pay and I do not have the money to that. I want to know how to the rest of my FASFA that they have and get out of this class. Could someone please help me?

I want to start out by saying for the most part of my education I have been very satisfied. I am nearing the end of my journey in the nursing program with University of Phoenix. My problem with Phoenix involves the financial aid department. I am suffering a hardship and my house is in foreclosure. I try to contact my financial advisor who is never available to speak with me. I have less than 80 days till graduation with 2 classes left. They have been holding my pell grant money since June because they stated that a certain form required a wet signature. I have attended this program for 3.5 years and neither myself or anyone else has ever been required to do this.

After emailing my advisor and informing her that this was creating a hardship and my house was in foreclosure and I was going to quit school and go to work to save my house she finally responded back. The form she was requesting was filled out in either July or August and I could not remember what I had put on the form. She told me to just fill it out anyway basically at the risk of perjury. This is my money, my fafsa was submitted and approved and they are telling me that it takes 60 to 90 days to receive the funds. As students we work hard, I have struggled to maintain a 3.67 grade point average and for what? It is sad that I have come this far to not be able to graduate, lose my house, and be left with a student loan to pay off. Phoenix honor your students by hiring knowledgeable financial advisors, I could do a better job than her.

These people are CROOKS!!! I'm currently a student there, and they are holding THOUSANDS of students' Financial Aid Hostage. I know that once a student receives a disbursement date that the school has no later than 14 days to disburse the funds, however they are telling students as well as myself that it could take up to 90 days! That means it will almost be time for the next disbursement when it arrives.

I'm in absolute SHOCK that the Department of Education is allowing this type of unethical business practice to continue. They are stealing Tax Payers' dollars, and it seems like no one gives a care! This is a For-Profit school in which they no doubt have lobbyist in Washington protecting the assets. My question is who is protecting us the students?

This is one of the most blatant acts of thievery I have ever seen! There are THOUSANDS!!! Of students right now that have been waiting on financial aid for months, I know, I check the Financial Discussion Board every day. Something has to be done people. I thought this was the United States of America where things like this don't happen! Will SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!! PLEASE... PLEASE... HELP US!!!

First off the only reason I went to this school is to get around certain requirements of another college I really wanted to attend. Second, when starting out all was great. The staff was helpful and I got back in the groove of doing homework etc. I told my financial adviser I was transferring over to another college after I received the credits I needed to get in the other school. I also asked her when is my next disbursement? She told me in September of 2016. I reminded her of my leaving and she said I was still getting it. Then when it came down to me leaving she said "you're not getting the money unless you attend another class."

The academic adviser I had emailed me a drop notice for the online class I was taking. I posted all five weeks and did all of the assignments. The instructor didn't mark me for two classes even though I posted every week. I emailed the academic adviser on why I was dropped when I posted for all five weeks? Never received an answer from anybody. They told me I get a disbursement after every four classes, but I notice I started going five to seven months without it within my first year attending. UOP tells a bunch of hype and sell dreams they know they not going to deliver on. I'm so happy I don't go there anymore because I can cause hell on my own. Higher institutions is suppose to help you not hinder you. For the record I will never tell anyone about that school. EVER!!!

The UOP states that it is a school geared towards working adults. I signed up for a MBA in public administration. I got through all of my classes and got to my very last class. I work at the department of a children's services in my state and at times our jobs can become very busy depending on the time of year. Well I was having a hard time managing this last class with the increase of my caseload. I went from having 20 cases at the start of class to almost 65 cases by the end of the class so yes my school work suffered a little. I tried to explain this to my professor but he did nothing and offered nothing to assist me. I ended up with a "d" in the class which dropped my GPA below what is required to graduate. I was going to try to take the class the following semester. Didn't have the money, didn't qualify for aid. Plus my caseload at work had not changed much so I didn't think I would do much better.

When I tried to enroll after that they changed to curriculum and said I would have to basically start over. The school says it works with adult student. Well at 38 years old with a full time important job saving children from abuse you would think the professor would have given a few extra point assignments or something.

My advise: If you have a full time sometimes challenging job Don't attend this school.

I started the University of Phoneix in September on 2015 for Medical Billing and Coding. In the beginning it was rough but I caught on. My problem came in with this University, when every time I would call I would get very disturbing responses from every advisor that would answer the phone. They would talk to me as if I didn't know anything and almost making me feel like that could disrespect me how ever they wanted to. The more questions I would ask the worst it had became. No one had nothing positive to say always negative, it's like they were in a plot together to damage your experience. I had never been treated that before ever. Toward the end of trying to finish I felt like they were plotting to fix me for having so many questions. Almost two classes left this one Professor I had everything started of great from week 1-4 turned in all assignment, did all home assignments.

I noticed she didn't give me credit for a post that she had missed. I brought it to her attention and she corrected it and told me she was sorry. When week five came, she had done the same thing. Not only she didn't give me credit but she didn't give me any credit for my assignments. It was clear to me then that they were all in a plot to damage my educational experience. I cried for two days straight, my pressure so high I had to be hospitalized due to all the drama they had put me through.

My GPA was a 3.67, it went down to a 2.67 behind one point which left me falling the course with a D+. This damaged me to the core, one reached out to me or anything so that when, they forced me to take a leave so then I decided to withdrawal from this University. I should dropped this school in the beginning, they ruined 11 months of my life. I would never in my years of living tell anyone about this Phoenix because they will regret it for the rest of their life. I know I do worst school in the History....

I started going to this school in 2011. At first it was great and it was challenging. I loved it so I decided to go for my bachelors. I am only 3 classes away from obtaining it too. In about march/April my financial aid and my grants and scholarships are starting to not be on time and are various amounts. Nothing is like it was before. I used to get a scholarship back of $312 back every time I passed a class, but in April I never got it - June never got it. My loans in may were supposed to be credited to my account and disbursed to me. It took until June and the amount did not add up to the cost of all of my classes and materials to what I should have gotten back.

In August It was time to pay for all of my classes again - I got receipted to my account for my loans and was waiting for my fafsa to post but I got a debit memo that processed to my account again for a very low amount of money than I had figured out calculating all of my cost, but that's not even the point. That loan was supposed to pay for my last 4 classes that I had to take yet they debit memo-ed me the money and I still owe for 3 classes because they only paid for one! They are supposed to pay off all of the classes before I get what remains.

I called to ask because I was concerned and they said they still have to wait for my grant before they can use my loans to pay for my classes - if this is the case I should have never got a reimbursement until everything was done. I find it very weird because my grant is never late. They said I just happened to start at the beginning of the fiscal year and my grant will be released by September and it is only one day away. I am pissed that my classes have not been paid for yet and the money is just sitting in my account supposedly. Every single time I call I get the same ** stories. I also have finished my certificate program in April and still have not received my certificate in the mail. When I called she said she the financial aid department is short staffed and they have to verify everything.

Don't waste your time trying to apply and/or attend UoP!! The commercials are enticing and you're lead to believe continuing your education would be a breeze. It isn't. The price they charge for obtaining an online degree is INSANE. You are essentially paying $1500 per class. The source materials alone are almost $200.

If you are someone (like myself) that doesn't qualify for aid from the government, you're forced to either pay out of pocket or get student loans. What they don't tell you about the student loans is you're awarded the loans in spurts. You're essentially awarded half per semester. It's also contingent on you attending a certain amount of course hours (something that was never explained). If that half doesn't cover the cost of that first half of what they call a semester, you have to pay the balance out of pocket. If you're unable to pay the balance to continue your classes, you have to stop taking your classes until you can pay for it.

My financial advisor didn't explain that to me when I applied. They encourage you to take what you think you may need but cannot / will not give you an EXACT amount for the program you're enrolled in. Once you are awarded your funds no one contacts you to give you a breakdown of what costs what and how much (if any) your out of pocket would be. They just suggest you make payments of whatever you want to your student account in the event what you are awarded doesn't cover the cost of your classes.

They do not work with you and are not understanding at all!! If you owe a balance and cannot pay the balance in full, they will report your case to a collection agency days later (even though they tell you it takes 60-90 days before that's done). This type of thing can do damage to your credit! The collection agency will harass you for payment every chance they get either by phone or by mail. This is hands down one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I am $3000+ in student loan debt for just 2 classes I probably didn't need in the first place. If you are considering taking online courses from an university to get a degree there are other legit schools that offer the same program for a fraction of the price.

Things may have been a lot different if they made an effort to discuss things with you in a way you understood. Instead they send you links to online seminars or generic emails. If you do call to ask questions, it's almost impossible to speak to someone and when you do it's as if you're... it's like you're bothering them. For something as major as continuing your education you'd think people would take the time to offer the best service as possible because this impacts the rest of your life. SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND AVOID THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX AT ALL COST! They are a ripoff!

Everything listed here is true. The financial aid department does not discuss costs with the student when they are enrolling. They say, "we'll cover that later." Financial aid is paid 4 classes at a time. They like to say that your excess funds "are what we get, not what the student gets." Instead of handling balances on accounts they will let it sit there 6 months and then send it to collections. They started hiring idiots who didn't know anything about education so they would believe anything the UOP staff told them.

The program was very easy. I enrolled as an employee in the MBA program. I completed my posts in 15-30 minutes and read a couple hours on Saturdays. It's mainly things that you already know, not teaching of new skills. BTW APA format is not a skill. I wouldn't consider spending 30k on a degree with this company let alone 60k for a bachelor's. The only reason I was attending was due to the fact that employees only had to pay a 40 dollar resource fee, and that was too much for what they provided with their 10 year old texts for the class. The coup d'etat was a text from 2001 in the year 2009. If you really want to save money, just look up the texts for classes that you want to take and buy the book for 100 dollars. Read the book and you've got all the information from the class. Other than that, Phoenix is a waste of time and money.

I enrolled in class on July 12th, 2016 for bachelor's of science in health administration and management with the promise that I would at least be credited 60 of my credits from community colleges. They were too quick to get me started with the promise of getting 60 credits after evaluation, they also got me to apply for FAFSA so fast. Every time that I asked for cost of education and credits awarded, I would get a runaround. I made it clear that my grants shouldn't be used to fund my education. Everytime I logged in the web, I would be met by the msg that my financial aid is under review. Two weeks passed & I decided to log in my FAFSA only to find out that loans were dispersed like more than a week ago with no mention of it from financial aid counselor.

When I raised the concern & demanded for an answer, they gave me a break down & in few days I saw a msg that I needed to accept the funds. I withdrew from class & they threatened to keep the money since it was funded for me. They even kept the grants that I had received without my permission. Anyway to cut the story short, I have been back & forth with them & now they are saying am harassing them. They are totally crazy & scandalous.

I would like to first off say I like University of Phoenix as far as the classes are for the working adult. My complaint is about the Financial Aid Department. I was told when I first started that my financial aid should pay my classes within 30 to 90 days. I been in school since July 12, 2016. I would call financial aid to check on the loans and see my grants are already applied. Was told 30 days should receive my reward letter. Then the next time I called the rep was very short and rude and advice me toward the end of my second class I should see an award letter. I talked to my finance counselor. He was very short with me and told me I should receive a letter so I can accept the funds. He told me I don't have enough to cover my classes so only borrow enough for my classes.

I am very disappoint I came back to this school. I am a single mother of a 7-year-old son and the refund helps us financially. I read a lot of complaints about the school and it instantly made me upset. I notice other schools you would of already signed your financial aid letter and receive your funding. I don't understand why it is taking them so long. They need to be investigated.

University of Phoenix was once a great school. When I started attending years ago, the counselors were helpful and professional and extremely knowledgeable. The course facilitators were actually teachers who wanted to teach. I think now, amid the controversy in recent years, the institution has dropped this standard of excellence and subsequently their quality staff, for reasons I can only guess. Money? Most likely. Attendance is down and UOP has experienced some bad press, so they now have academic counselors that sound like they are straight out of high school or college with no work experience or clue as to how to handle a problem with a consumer, which, in the case of UOP, are its students.

My main complaint right now is the fact that the materials, which used to be free if you opted to take the electronic versions, are $140. Problem is, if we are now forced to pay this fee regardless of whether we have tangible materials or electronic materials, we should have the correct materials for the course syllabus. However, my XCOM285 class recently changed the edition of eBook that it issues for this course and apparently, when doing so, didn't notice that the chapters are not aligned with the assignments in the syllabus.

I pointed this out to my facilitator, who acknowledged it and basically said I should do my best with the discussion points mentioned by her in the class discussion. I later contacted tech support about it who said she couldn't help while class is in mid-session. But when I looked again later, it still was not fixed. It is easy enough for anyone to look at the syllabus and the book issued for that course at any time and see that they don't go together. But no one I have talked to about this seems to know how to help or even how to give me contact information to whomever can help.

I want a refund for the materials, and everyone else who was issued incorrect materials deserves a refund as well. This is unethical and wrong. I am continuing to battle this, while also trying to finish my degree, as I am only three classes from finishing, but at the risk of retaliation (I hope there will be none). I thought others should know what they are in for if they are considering enrolling in this school University of Phoenix online.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.
  • Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.
  • Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.
  • Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.
  • Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges