3.55/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

1406 University of Phoenix Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I enrolled in 2013 with UOP. Completed my Associates in 2015. I continued to reach for licensing and needed 6 more credits in which after reaching that they told me that they don’t help with any licensing processes that I would have to contact the department of education. After that I continued onto my bachelors and still the same thing.

I found out recently I through Apollo group was opened 12 loans to pay for my schooling. It wasn’t under one loan. They also told me that they would help with job placement which was then directed to a portal on the student site. Mind you completing classes online and in Maine searching for jobs and finding something there wasn’t anything! I think they just wanted me to enroll for the increase of student enrollment and nothing more!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

When I first enrolled in this school, I was very pleased and satisfied with my experience. After about attending for a year, circumstances arose to where I needed to take a leave of absence. I filed the paperwork and did all the correct protocol. When I tried to return to the school within the set amount of time, I was informed I had been dismissed and had been turned over to collections. I was very upset and shocked. I refused to pay them anything because I had the paperwork stating when I could return and like I mentioned I returned within that amount of time. Eventually they stopped bothering me and was forced to pay it themselves since legal action had been taken against them by other students with the same issues. I will not say this is a horrible school, I fully enjoyed the classes. But the bad experience alone had me really thinking it was a SCAM!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When I became a student at the University of Phoenix back in May of this year, I was so excited to further my education. I can honestly say that I do feel like I am learning in my classes, and my instructors and fellow classmates have been very helpful. I currently have a 3.9 GPA, and I fully intend on maintaining it. However, my recent experience with the financial aid department has shredded my positive attitude towards this school entirely. My first financial aid disbursement back in June (student loans and Pell Grant) came through just fine with no issues. I am a stay at home mother and my husband works full-time.

When enrolling, I made it very clear that I would not be working while in school full-time, and that the financial aid I received while in school was going to be my only income. I was assured at that time that this is what most unemployed students did, and this wouldn't be a problem. Fast forward to last month, September 20th, 2017. I was due to receive my next disbursement, so my husband and I planned out which bills we would pay using that money. I received nothing on that day, and no explanation. I did not immediately fly off the handle because the money was late. I decided to reach out to my academic and financial aid advisors to see what the hold up was.

I was assured at that time through an email that my aid was being verified and processed, and to give them a few more business days to get it done. On September 23rd, my laptop completely broke. I am an online full-time student, so things like my laptop should be considered a necessity in order for me to get my assignments done correctly and submitted on time. Did anyone care that I now have to travel 30 mins. both ways to my mother's home in order to use her computer? No. Did anyone care that our car broke down last week and is currently still sitting at the shop? No.

The worst part of all this? My family and I were directly affected by the mass shooting here in Las Vegas recently. I pleaded with my financial advisor to please get the ball rolling on my money because I needed to go donate blood, and contribute what I could to the funerals and medical bills of the two people we lost. We are still devastated. Even after that, ONLY my awesome academic advisor reached out to me personally to offer her condolences. My financial advisor decided to completely ignore what I said, and instead sent me a generic response about my aid being verified again. What exactly needs to be verified? This is the exact same paperwork and tax transcripts that they had on file for us when they released my funds in June. None of our information has changed and I am doing an excellent job in my classes.

So here we are, Monday October 9th, and I still haven't received ANY detailed information as to why the money is late nor why my information is still in the verification stage. As of September 27th, my student loans processed to my account. How can my student loans be applied but not the grant money, which the school receives all at one time? They are holding on to my money, and I don't know why. I have been calling the number all day trying to reach a financial advisor, and I was on hold for about 15 mins. each time before hanging up. (It has never taken that long to get someone on the line.)

I am strongly considering filing a formal complaint with the D.O.E. if I do not receive some valid answers soon. My family is having to suffer because someone in their office refuses to click a few buttons and approve my funds. This is unacceptable, and I hope those of you considering this school please take this into consideration. If this isn't handled soon, I will also be looking to transfer out. I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

My experience with the University of Phoenix financial aid department has been very deceptive. Lately, they told me that I don't qualify for no more financial aid and I'm just 15 credits from receiving my bachelors in psychology. This school basically told me that I should be fine on financial aid for future classes when I first attended but after I received my associates of arts degree in psychology they persuaded me to continue on with my bachelors and that everything would work out ok, which was a lie. On top of that they said I owe out of pocket a balance of 1900 dollars that I don't have, long story short they turned my account over to a collection agency which is unheard of. This school is bogus and they don't even have in school scholarships available for students which is very unheard of in my book.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I went to University of Phoenix for 4 years, graduated 2013. 5 years later, I have a B. S in Business and stuck with $60,000 in student loans (which I can't even pay) because employers do not consider University of Phoenix as an accredited University. For my orientation, University of Phoenix informed all new students it was the best thing for someone that worked full-time, that once you graduated you were guaranteed a job in the field that you studied in, they did job placements blah blah blah... I really wish I would have seen right through their lies and Antics to lure new students. I can't even begin to pay my student loans back because I can't find a job that actually considers my degree an accredited University. My minimum payments are $700 a month, I'm a bartender I can't afford that. Due to my student loans, my credit is shot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: July 11, 2017

I found when people are not doing well academically they have fantasy notions, of an easy-out with high pay. Well, I found the U of P to be excellent at one thing. That is getting you a degree. That is it. The knowledge you gain is directly related to your effort. The U of P teaches out-dated concepts. Such as teaching SDLC instead of the sought after OOP method of BSIT. I got my degree. 3.85 GPA. This opened the door to tons of job opportunities I could already perform, but now I had an official piece of paper that said "He is trainable" to the employer. If I had to do all over I would still choose this route because I was a full-time employee with a family (limited free time).

Original review: July 8, 2017

I have been going to this school a little over a year and I'm so disappointed with the financial aid team. It been almost 2 months that I have not received anything. They keep flipping the stories and everything. It was supposed to be 24-48 hours before my hold on my account was up and here it is another week is passing by. Now they saying it is a technology glitch. SMH. 3 different supervisors are suppose to be working on my account, I was suppose to receive 2 phone call back before they closed yesterday and still nothing. This is ridiculous that people are waiting on their money like they don't have to pay it back. They need to do something about this because it's ridiculous. People that don't have job and is going to school depends on things like this but it's always a million reasons why you didn't receive it on time so I will for sure be furthering my education somewhere else.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Hello garbage school. Why do you take almost a month to submit attendance to the VA? UOP has changed their attendance structure several times since I've been attending and it gets worse every single time. The VA system is already crap enough and you're becoming just like them. The funny thing is, I asked my financial advisor if UOP is the only one who takes this long to submit attendance and he said yes. That being said I'll be leaving this selfish, garbage and unprofessional "school" and enter into a read educational institution. Oh and don't think I'm new to the school because I'm not. When I first got my bachelor's there the system was good. Now getting my masters and it's crap. Congratulations you have received 1 star and only because because there wasn't a trash can option instead. From a vet who served 2 full terms, thanks for nothing.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Before 5/25/2017 Nevada teachers needed to pass a test or take course work on Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution, and US Constitution. Phoenix offered a class to satisfy all three requirements. That requirement has been revoked by the State of Nevada. I found this out 2 weeks into a 3-week class. I feel I should get 1/3rd my money back since this class no longer fulfills any need and it was the only reason I took the class. These are extenuating circumstances but Phoenix refused to work with me for a Phoenix. In essence, they gave me the middle finger.

Original review: June 6, 2017

This was the WORST school that I have ever attended. Yes enrolling is quite easy. Out of 120 credits that I had they only transferred about 60. I have been going to this school for 2 1/2 years and I have only completed about 15 credits. Twice I have had issues with them telling me I owed a balance only to find out I didn't. Both times this has happened it took them over 6 months to correct. A whole year wasted that I could of been in school. Now once again they have me with a balance of $2,198. They told me that I owed it because I didn't sign a paper that was never sent to me! Ridiculous! Trying to reach an advisor takes forever even though they are supposed to contact you within 24 hours. Everything about this school is expensive and about money. I came here because it was convenient for me but I have pretty much wasted my time at this school!!

Original review: June 5, 2017

I finished a MBA in 2012, UOP is not accredited with high standards of national university. When I stayed in the university was good with the accreditation but not. The university has problems. I need my money back.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I agree with gentleman who hasn't received his financial aid refund, I am in the same situation. Something needs to be done about this because several students have not or did not receive their funds. I didn't take out a loan for the school to keep it and I am the one who has to repay it.

Original review: June 1, 2017

University of Phoenix has excellent platform and high quality program. I do a search online and read so many reviews and some related information about them before I choose them. I love the whole process and the helpful features. They are all very easy to use and really help me very well during the process. I like taking the process and enrolling the system.

Original review: June 1, 2017

University of Phoenix's classes were far too expensive and the program doesn't really get respect. I didn't like working in teams, I felt like I was often doing all the work while other people were just showing up and the grading wasn't explained well. However, the courses have been helpful. I'm more well rounded and I was able to learn new stuff and review things from my high school education. The information was relevant and I could learn at a pace that was comfortable for me. I liked being able to sharpen my writing skills. I also liked not having to commute.

Original review: May 31, 2017

University of Phoenix is self paced so it is flexible to those that are working full time or part time and taking classes from home. Flexibility is very helpful and the cost is reasonable. However, more hands on projects could be offered to reinforce the material.

Original review: May 30, 2017

This school does not teach you anything. Instead, they throw a bunch of information at you during a 5 week class period. There are no practice sheets, no webinars where the professors actually explain the processes for formulas (especially in the math courses). I've actually had to Google and watch videos on YouTube to find more information so I could actually learn. This is not what I am paying for, nor do I see this actually being beneficial in my chosen career field because even with a degree I couldn't go and get a job because I don't know anything. This school is just a diploma mill, get your money, give you your credits and then your piece of paper with no real education. I am looking to transfer out.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The enrollment process is fairly easy and straightforward. Once you decide that this is the institution for you, then you will be assigned a liaison who will keep in contact with you throughout the enrollment process. They will ensure all of your paperwork is turned in on time and help you choose your classes. I like that the classes are not big and you are able to have a better teacher student relationship. I also like that the classes are self-paced where you do not have strict deadlines to turn in assignments. As long as they are in before the end of the semester then you are fine. But I dislike that I cannot physically go in and have a face-to-face meeting with my professor. At times it is hard to explain a question or concern via email, therefore, I wish at times I could see my professor or even Skype call them.

Original review: May 28, 2017

University of Phoenix have great faculty, like physical schools. Usually I just go to an online portal and choose the classes I want to take. Then I enroll and later pay the amount I owe. However, some of the hidden costs are frustrating.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The enrolling and taking courses process are both very easy to use and help us more. It is also one of the main reasons I choose the University of Phoenix. There are so many good features on the online platform. I really like them because I used them three or more times before.

Original review: May 26, 2017

The program at University of Phoenix was easy to follow and helped me to achieve my goals. The courses got me into the job I have now. It was my first online experience. I knew exactly what I needed to study, what assignments were due and when. When I had to finish quizzes and tests, I always felt like I could reach out for help if I had questions. I was in touch with someone from the University regularly through email, who was extremely helpful and very nice and made the process less stressful. However, the cost seemed much too high for an online program and one that was helping me to further my career, meaning it did not offer a degree.

Original review: May 25, 2017

The whole process of enrolling and taking courses are very easy. Everyone who use them once would love to use them again. It is easy to engage with the online platform and the courses are helpful. The University of Phoenix would fits me the most because it has the helpful features and the online platform has the best programs. I would choose them for different needs, it also has the unique price and no matter who you are. It is good enough and I used them for many times before. You'd better to know them clearly before you use them.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I like that there are many options offered for people like me that are looking to change careers and expand their knowledge. It makes finding the right course that much easier. The costs and courses are excellent and the degree is well received throughout the business community. I have had some great job opportunities as a result of the degree. Also, it is easy to engage with the platform. I found that seeking out the best courses for me was a simply laid out process. There was not any confusion in how to do it.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I enrolled online and used the online forms. I like that I can do it whenever I want to. I don't have to be there. I also like that I can work remotely. I enjoy working at my own pace. It was fun and I worked hard. It was a good time and I enjoyed myself. However, sometimes I am too distant from the teachers and other students. I cannot interact with them. I miss being there in person.

Original review: May 22, 2017

It is easy to navigate University of Phoenix's blackboard learning site, and it is always accessible. Courses have been helpful and PowerPoint audio lectures are clear and slow. There is also a help option available online and instructors are great. It is even easy to communicate with other classmates online, and to access grades for assignments and exams. The only thing I would improve are more clear instructions for assignment deadline and specifications, that they should be posted as reminders online. But my experience is very positive and I'm learning a lot.

Original review: May 21, 2017

University of Phoenix has the best online platform and the best enrolling system. They have so many good features which were all easy to use and very helpful. I always get the best customer services from them.

Original review: May 21, 2017

University of Phoenix is the best option to study at a distance. Because I did not have time to attend personally so my first choice, besides that the university has prestige throughout the country. Good control of students. So process of enrolling was fast but a rep takes a long time to answer. Answer the questions of the students. That would solve everything.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like the University of Phoenix the most because of the unique features and the best online program for me, it fits me very well and I already get approved. The process of enrolling and taking course is easy to engage with the online platform. The online program is very easy to fill. The course are very helpful and very unique for me. I think everyone would like to take the process again.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I like that University of Phoenix's course itself was an online course. The platform was easy to use, it was easy to find the assignments and to complete them to turn them in. The graphics were clear as well. The only thing that I would improve about the online program would be to have the option to see the instructor face to face via a Skype type program. Sometimes it makes it more helpful to see the instructor's face to better understand them. The courses at University of Phoenix haven't been as helpful as in person courses, but that's not against this university. That holds true for all classes and universities.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I finished my bachelor degree online with University of Phoenix because I am a single mom with 3 kids and work full-time. I wanted a degree to further my career. After receiving my degree in English and $45k in debt later back in 2016, I am still nowhere further in my career or in the field of my degree. I felt I did not learn anything. Online classes were pointless and $1200 a class. I want a refund and not live in debt where I can't get a job to pay it back.

Original review: May 19, 2017

University of Phoenix has a flexible and convenient learning program that anyone can take and pass. The online format only requires you to participate three days, and only one of two assignments a week which is doable for those working on the side. However, it seems like they let anyone in. A lot of people seem like they have no prior education because they can't spell and not everyone does their work which affects the team aspect of assignments. Also, there was pressure into program and financial aspect was not explained at all. They made it seem easy and like it was no problem. The programs are expensive and drain all financial aid and loans so you will have to pay out of pocket for future classes. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you into a program.

University of Phoenix expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.

• Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.

• Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.

• Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.

• Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs