University of Phoenix

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Before 5/25/2017 Nevada teachers needed to pass a test or take course work on Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution, and US Constitution. Phoenix offered a class to satisfy all three requirements. That requirement has been revoked by the State of Nevada. I found this out 2 weeks into a 3-week class. I feel I should get 1/3rd my money back since this class no longer fulfills any need and it was the only reason I took the class. These are extenuating circumstances but Phoenix refused to work with me for a Phoenix. In essence, they gave me the middle finger.

This was the WORST school that I have ever attended. Yes enrolling is quite easy. Out of 120 credits that I had they only transferred about 60. I have been going to this school for 2 1/2 years and I have only completed about 15 credits. Twice I have had issues with them telling me I owed a balance only to find out I didn't. Both times this has happened it took them over 6 months to correct. A whole year wasted that I could of been in school. Now once again they have me with a balance of $2,198. They told me that I owed it because I didn't sign a paper that was never sent to me! Ridiculous! Trying to reach an advisor takes forever even though they are supposed to contact you within 24 hours. Everything about this school is expensive and about money. I came here because it was convenient for me but I have pretty much wasted my time at this school!!

I finished a MBA in 2012, UOP is not accredited with high standards of national university. When I stayed in the university was good with the accreditation but not. The university has problems. I need my money back.

I agree with gentleman who hasn't received his financial aid refund, I am in the same situation. Something needs to be done about this because several students have not or did not receive their funds. I didn't take out a loan for the school to keep it and I am the one who has to repay it.

University of Phoenix has excellent platform and high quality program. I do a search online and read so many reviews and some related information about them before I choose them. I love the whole process and the helpful features. They are all very easy to use and really help me very well during the process. I like taking the process and enrolling the system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

University of Phoenix's classes were far too expensive and the program doesn't really get respect. I didn't like working in teams, I felt like I was often doing all the work while other people were just showing up and the grading wasn't explained well. However, the courses have been helpful. I'm more well rounded and I was able to learn new stuff and review things from my high school education. The information was relevant and I could learn at a pace that was comfortable for me. I liked being able to sharpen my writing skills. I also liked not having to commute.

University of Phoenix is self paced so it is flexible to those that are working full time or part time and taking classes from home. Flexibility is very helpful and the cost is reasonable. However, more hands on projects could be offered to reinforce the material.

This school does not teach you anything. Instead, they throw a bunch of information at you during a 5 week class period. There are no practice sheets, no webinars where the professors actually explain the processes for formulas (especially in the math courses). I've actually had to Google and watch videos on YouTube to find more information so I could actually learn. This is not what I am paying for, nor do I see this actually being beneficial in my chosen career field because even with a degree I couldn't go and get a job because I don't know anything. This school is just a diploma mill, get your money, give you your credits and then your piece of paper with no real education. I am looking to transfer out.

The enrollment process is fairly easy and straightforward. Once you decide that this is the institution for you, then you will be assigned a liaison who will keep in contact with you throughout the enrollment process. They will ensure all of your paperwork is turned in on time and help you choose your classes. I like that the classes are not big and you are able to have a better teacher student relationship. I also like that the classes are self-paced where you do not have strict deadlines to turn in assignments. As long as they are in before the end of the semester then you are fine. But I dislike that I cannot physically go in and have a face-to-face meeting with my professor. At times it is hard to explain a question or concern via email, therefore, I wish at times I could see my professor or even Skype call them.

University of Phoenix have great faculty, like physical schools. Usually I just go to an online portal and choose the classes I want to take. Then I enroll and later pay the amount I owe. However, some of the hidden costs are frustrating.

The enrolling and taking courses process are both very easy to use and help us more. It is also one of the main reasons I choose the University of Phoenix. There are so many good features on the online platform. I really like them because I used them three or more times before.

The program at University of Phoenix was easy to follow and helped me to achieve my goals. The courses got me into the job I have now. It was my first online experience. I knew exactly what I needed to study, what assignments were due and when. When I had to finish quizzes and tests, I always felt like I could reach out for help if I had questions. I was in touch with someone from the University regularly through email, who was extremely helpful and very nice and made the process less stressful. However, the cost seemed much too high for an online program and one that was helping me to further my career, meaning it did not offer a degree.

The whole process of enrolling and taking courses are very easy. Everyone who use them once would love to use them again. It is easy to engage with the online platform and the courses are helpful. The University of Phoenix would fits me the most because it has the helpful features and the online platform has the best programs. I would choose them for different needs, it also has the unique price and no matter who you are. It is good enough and I used them for many times before. You'd better to know them clearly before you use them.

I like that there are many options offered for people like me that are looking to change careers and expand their knowledge. It makes finding the right course that much easier. The costs and courses are excellent and the degree is well received throughout the business community. I have had some great job opportunities as a result of the degree. Also, it is easy to engage with the platform. I found that seeking out the best courses for me was a simply laid out process. There was not any confusion in how to do it.

I enrolled online and used the online forms. I like that I can do it whenever I want to. I don't have to be there. I also like that I can work remotely. I enjoy working at my own pace. It was fun and I worked hard. It was a good time and I enjoyed myself. However, sometimes I am too distant from the teachers and other students. I cannot interact with them. I miss being there in person.

It is easy to navigate University of Phoenix's blackboard learning site, and it is always accessible. Courses have been helpful and PowerPoint audio lectures are clear and slow. There is also a help option available online and instructors are great. It is even easy to communicate with other classmates online, and to access grades for assignments and exams. The only thing I would improve are more clear instructions for assignment deadline and specifications, that they should be posted as reminders online. But my experience is very positive and I'm learning a lot.

University of Phoenix has the best online platform and the best enrolling system. They have so many good features which were all easy to use and very helpful. I always get the best customer services from them.

University of Phoenix is the best option to study at a distance. Because I did not have time to attend personally so my first choice, besides that the university has prestige throughout the country. Good control of students. So process of enrolling was fast but a rep takes a long time to answer. Answer the questions of the students. That would solve everything.

I like the University of Phoenix the most because of the unique features and the best online program for me, it fits me very well and I already get approved. The process of enrolling and taking course is easy to engage with the online platform. The online program is very easy to fill. The course are very helpful and very unique for me. I think everyone would like to take the process again.

I like that University of Phoenix's course itself was an online course. The platform was easy to use, it was easy to find the assignments and to complete them to turn them in. The graphics were clear as well. The only thing that I would improve about the online program would be to have the option to see the instructor face to face via a Skype type program. Sometimes it makes it more helpful to see the instructor's face to better understand them. The courses at University of Phoenix haven't been as helpful as in person courses, but that's not against this university. That holds true for all classes and universities.

I finished my bachelor degree online with University of Phoenix because I am a single mom with 3 kids and work full-time. I wanted a degree to further my career. After receiving my degree in English and $45k in debt later back in 2016, I am still nowhere further in my career or in the field of my degree. I felt I did not learn anything. Online classes were pointless and $1200 a class. I want a refund and not live in debt where I can't get a job to pay it back.

University of Phoenix has a flexible and convenient learning program that anyone can take and pass. The online format only requires you to participate three days, and only one of two assignments a week which is doable for those working on the side. However, it seems like they let anyone in. A lot of people seem like they have no prior education because they can't spell and not everyone does their work which affects the team aspect of assignments. Also, there was pressure into program and financial aspect was not explained at all. They made it seem easy and like it was no problem. The programs are expensive and drain all financial aid and loans so you will have to pay out of pocket for future classes. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you into a program.

The classes that I took helped me to get the education for a job in the future. I did not have to leave home or be anywhere by a certain time because I am raising two special needs grandchildren. However, some of the courses required extra software and work that I could not afford or achieve. I wanted to be able to talk to the teacher face to face but could not, and they have graduation ceremonies too far from me to attend to get my diploma. Also, I keep getting phone calls and a lot of emails after I graduated two years ago.

I like the convenience and options of degrees. It is something that most people really do not put much thought into nowadays. Brick and mortar schools have become something that is not a great option.

I have been waiting on my refund for months since I receive the post 9/11 and have been getting garbage answers. Finally they tell me May 5 the disbursement would hit my bank. Then May 9 I receive an email saying my bank information was wrong. I know it was correct because I went over it several times when submitting it (has anyone experienced that contact me **). So now I have to wait for a paper check for 10 to 15 days. My financial advisor acts as if she doesn't know how that happened. Does anyone else sense something wrong or a bit scammy with this school? Do we need lawyers because I think the school is figuring out ways to hold students funds? For what I don't know.

I feel that the University of Phoenix should better explains things in the beginning especially the financial aspects, but going to this school was a good experience. I was a working mom with three kids, so this worked out great.

I found it to be quite an easy platform especially it being online I was always able to navigate my way around without any trouble. It was tough in general to be taking online classes for several reasons such as not being one on one and face to face. But I enjoyed my online courses. I was always able to find help from professors right away if I needed it on any subject or question. These courses have been very beneficial to me further my education and I am now a full time teacher like I always aspired to be.

Enrolling is easy if you have a credit card. Courses are geared for the mature person who has to work also. Their course offers a large range of subject matter that interests me and the times are convenient. I really enjoyed these courses but I really think their courses should be more extensive and I wish I had more time for more. Also, I like the instructors. They have a great deal of knowledge on the subjects they teach. I dislike the way they grade though and the way they publish grades.

University of Phoenix was understanding about my situation. Going back to school is never easy and the UOP made it as painless as possible by providing adequate resources and help when I needed it. They have the same amount of filling out forms as everywhere and it's very easy to enroll. Easy to navigate their website, helpful people when I had questions and I had a lot of say in creating my class load. The courses enabled me to earn my Masters of Arts and Education so I could fulfill my goal of becoming a primary school teacher. I am very satisfied with my experience.

University of Phoenix made it so easy to complete my BA in business management while I was starting a business and continue working my full time job! Working out at the gym & having a personal life wasn't easy, but online classes did the trick! For enrollment, go to the website, type-in your educational information, schools you've attended, previous classes you've completed. Classes were very inexpensive. I would like it if there were more video conference classes. It is very cool to be able to see your classmates & learn about them. I didn't have the awkward feeling of standing in front of a bunch of strangers & introducing myself to them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.
  • Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.
  • Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.
  • Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.
  • Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges