University of Phoenix

4,713people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with University of Phoenix :

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Everything listed here is true. The financial aid department does not discuss costs with the student when they are enrolling. They say, "we'll cover that later." Financial aid is paid 4 classes at a time. They like to say that your excess funds "are what we get, not what the student gets." Instead of handling balances on accounts they will let it sit there 6 months and then send it to collections. They started hiring idiots who didn't know anything about education so they would believe anything the UOP staff told them.

The program was very easy. I enrolled as an employee in the MBA program. I completed my posts in 15-30 minutes and read a couple hours on Saturdays. It's mainly things that you already know, not teaching of new skills. BTW APA format is not a skill. I wouldn't consider spending 30k on a degree with this company let alone 60k for a bachelor's. The only reason I was attending was due to the fact that employees only had to pay a 40 dollar resource fee, and that was too much for what they provided with their 10 year old texts for the class. The coup d'etat was a text from 2001 in the year 2009. If you really want to save money, just look up the texts for classes that you want to take and buy the book for 100 dollars. Read the book and you've got all the information from the class. Other than that, Phoenix is a waste of time and money.

I enrolled in class on July 12th, 2016 for bachelor's of science in health administration and management with the promise that I would at least be credited 60 of my credits from community colleges. They were too quick to get me started with the promise of getting 60 credits after evaluation, they also got me to apply for FAFSA so fast. Every time that I asked for cost of education and credits awarded, I would get a runaround. I made it clear that my grants shouldn't be used to fund my education. Everytime I logged in the web, I would be met by the msg that my financial aid is under review. Two weeks passed & I decided to log in my FAFSA only to find out that loans were dispersed like more than a week ago with no mention of it from financial aid counselor.

When I raised the concern & demanded for an answer, they gave me a break down & in few days I saw a msg that I needed to accept the funds. I withdrew from class & they threatened to keep the money since it was funded for me. They even kept the grants that I had received without my permission. Anyway to cut the story short, I have been back & forth with them & now they are saying am harassing them. They are totally crazy & scandalous.

I would like to first off say I like University of Phoenix as far as the classes are for the working adult. My complaint is about the Financial Aid Department. I was told when I first started that my financial aid should pay my classes within 30 to 90 days. I been in school since July 12, 2016. I would call financial aid to check on the loans and see my grants are already applied. Was told 30 days should receive my reward letter. Then the next time I called the rep was very short and rude and advice me toward the end of my second class I should see an award letter. I talked to my finance counselor. He was very short with me and told me I should receive a letter so I can accept the funds. He told me I don't have enough to cover my classes so only borrow enough for my classes.

I am very disappoint I came back to this school. I am a single mother of a 7-year-old son and the refund helps us financially. I read a lot of complaints about the school and it instantly made me upset. I notice other schools you would of already signed your financial aid letter and receive your funding. I don't understand why it is taking them so long. They need to be investigated.

University of Phoenix was once a great school. When I started attending years ago, the counselors were helpful and professional and extremely knowledgeable. The course facilitators were actually teachers who wanted to teach. I think now, amid the controversy in recent years, the institution has dropped this standard of excellence and subsequently their quality staff, for reasons I can only guess. Money? Most likely. Attendance is down and UOP has experienced some bad press, so they now have academic counselors that sound like they are straight out of high school or college with no work experience or clue as to how to handle a problem with a consumer, which, in the case of UOP, are its students.

My main complaint right now is the fact that the materials, which used to be free if you opted to take the electronic versions, are $140. Problem is, if we are now forced to pay this fee regardless of whether we have tangible materials or electronic materials, we should have the correct materials for the course syllabus. However, my XCOM285 class recently changed the edition of eBook that it issues for this course and apparently, when doing so, didn't notice that the chapters are not aligned with the assignments in the syllabus.

I pointed this out to my facilitator, who acknowledged it and basically said I should do my best with the discussion points mentioned by her in the class discussion. I later contacted tech support about it who said she couldn't help while class is in mid-session. But when I looked again later, it still was not fixed. It is easy enough for anyone to look at the syllabus and the book issued for that course at any time and see that they don't go together. But no one I have talked to about this seems to know how to help or even how to give me contact information to whomever can help.

I want a refund for the materials, and everyone else who was issued incorrect materials deserves a refund as well. This is unethical and wrong. I am continuing to battle this, while also trying to finish my degree, as I am only three classes from finishing, but at the risk of retaliation (I hope there will be none). I thought others should know what they are in for if they are considering enrolling in this school University of Phoenix online.

First thing's first, I have received my B.A. at an accredited university and I decided to attend UOPx to receive my Master's in Education. Many reviewers are receiving their B.A. from this school which I hear is a horrible decision since no employer or school will even acknowledge this as a "school". I figured since I have an actual degree, getting a credential in Education would be ok and employers can see that I took actual class and went to a real school. Haha.

The problem I have had for a year now and three times in a row is the financial aid process. I have dealt with horrible FA during my undergrad years but UOPx beats them out by A MILE. This place is so sketchy and probably 95% of us attending right now have not received our disbursements and they are months late. I am talking 1-3 months late. The school claims there is a systems error because of the new program and they are not communicating correctly so those of us who have turned in our paperwork for FA are getting notices that we have not.

ALL the advisers have no idea what to do and we get the same exact answer, "everyone's situation is different" and "I would be happy to have your financial adviser take a look at your concern for you". It is all smoke and mirrors. We have all complained and bombarded the help section, demanding answers and our money. We have not received any email or quality control. It is pathetic and ridiculous. I cannot even complete this review on my internet and have to use my phone data because these people have not sent my disbursement so I could use that money for school supplies...such as opening my new internet account up.

Some people are on the verge of going homeless because they budgeted and were counting on this disbursement to come through on time. I was told this situation would be fixed by 8/6...not one damn thing has been fixed. This is the THIRD time I have gone through something like this and I am on my very, VERY last class and have student teaching left. This school is ripping us off and trying to take as much money from us as possible by hoarding our loans. I am beyond unhappy with this school and I was so blinded by quickly trying to further my education and career that I did not look at this school for what it really is. Worthless. Save your time. Seriously.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

I have been having issues with this school from the time on enrollment to now. At first when I spoke to the university rep, I was informed that I would be able to take a College Algebra course for $750 because I was a veteran. I was so excited and then come to find out, the admissions rep assigned to me told me this was not the case and that I would have to pay over $1300 for the course. To top it off I am currently taking a Stats course that for the life of me, can't understand why the eCampus site keeps going down. It is now evident to me that this university is neither veteran centric or care about the quality of education that their students receive. I should've avoided this place based on all news reports about veterans being scammed. See for yourself. Just google "University of Phoenix" and "veterans".

I have been attending UoP for about a year. I have done all classwork and maintained good grades. As time for financial aid disbursement arrived, I decided to manage my own funds. Right after that, I was told I had been randomly chosen for FA verification and they requested additional documents. I submitted them promptly. I am currently living the nightmare. I have been waiting for the award letter. I have made multiple phone calls. I finally spoke to a financial 'manager', who only talked in circles while making excuses. When I asked for clarification, she responded condescendingly. I don't know what to do or where to turn. I am a single mom of a 16 yr old son. My dream is to have our own house. After reading these reviews, I feel more hopeless than ever. I wish I had this knowledge before I was talked into taking these classes at the UoP. Can anyone help us?!

I am within six classes of completing my Bachelors program with the U.O.P. I started online with them and transferred to the ground campus. Now I am FORCED to complete my degree back online because I am told that they don't specialize in Accounting/Finance degrees, but I was asked to change my degree to Business and then I could stay on the ground campus. I recently asked that my Associate's diploma be mailed out to me. Well back in May I requested it and still have never gotten it but now my classes have went from 1400 to 2100 per classes because I was told by my advisor Kristen ** that my tuition freeze was voided because I requested my diploma. She also told me that there was nothing more she could do for me.

I would have NEVER signed up with this school had I known that the only thing they specialize in is Business degrees. What kind of college only offers this? They are ripping people off at a fast pace, they are dishonest and they don't care if you pass or fail. This is a heartbreaking issue for me because I have to decide whether to stay and pay or drop out and be a failure and still have to pay back the student loans that I have already incurred. There needs to be someone who can help people like myself. Can somebody give me the name of someone who will listen to me?

I really find it funny how I've been calling for the past weeks and still no answer about where is my financial aid, so if no grants have been applied to the account I can't pay for the cost. I shouldnt be able to continue with class. I contacted the US Department of Education. They said something sounds fishy about it. I was told if I withdraw I'll owe money. The US Department of Education said that is absolutely FALSE AND A LIE. I WILL NOT BE OBLIGATED TO PAY IF I WITHDRAW, since the school has not processed anything then I won't have to pay but the school says I do if I withdraw. I am a first time college student and apparently I chose the wrong school.

I wish I had read reviews of University of Phoenix prior to taking an English course with them. At least I only lost $1000 as opposed to the amounts some people have lost. Even before this experience I would never have considered UOP for my entire degree anyway. David ** was the so called "professor" for the class I took. I think the only way to get a favorable grade with this guy was to stroke his ego right from the very start of the course.

The requirements for this class were scattered across several internal as well as external sources. For instance, there was a main class page that listed the assignments due for the current week, yet at the end of week three I received a 0 for an assignment that I didn't realize was due. You had to drill in to week three's page and at the bottom, there it was. I explained this to Mr. ** but he wouldn't work with me at all. If you find yourself with some time and want to have a good laugh, sign up for a class with David **, it's hilarious.

I was attending the UOP since last august; so almost a year. I have nothing but problems from this school since starting. After my first class finished, I was dissatisfied with the way the instructor handled not only my course work but my grading. At the end of the course a paper was and I got a message saying my paper was graded; if that's what you wanna call it. The instructor only graded about a 1/4 of my paper and stopped leaving comments and telling me to apply the comment throughout the other four pages. Not only was the paper not truly graded; I'm not a teacher and should not be left to "finishing" grading my paper. So my grade was only based on the first page and half.

Through out the course my so called professor was little to no help and insulted my intelligence on numerous occasions through private messages. When I brought this up to my academic advisor he told me there wasn't much I could do but to make a ticket and then it would have to go through a review board for processing. I sent the emails and screen shots as requested but never heard anything. Then after the class ended contacted my advisor again to check on the complaint and was told there was nothing that could be done due to the class ended and that the info would be put in my file.

Then I found out I was on academic probation because I got a C in my class and was not upholding the requirements for the program GPA. It was my first class and I received a C not a failing grade. I also HAD to take a month or so off so that my academics and with standings could be sent to a board for review to determine if I would be "allowed" to continue as a student. Skip forward a few months and my next couple classes started but still got nothing about my financial aid. I called and was told to continue with my classes and the school should receive the funds soon. After my class was almost complete I finally got confirmation my funds came out.

Now months later I get an email saying to do an exit consult and to contact my loan provider for set up of paying back my loan. I called and emailed my academic advisor and he was not in his office and would return later on in the week. So I was given the name of another advisor to speak to. I was told that I was in good academic standings and that is all he could tell me. He then told he could not help me with my financial standings and to contact my financial advisor. When asked for the information he told me to go in my profile and that could better help me. After emailing back and forth between three advisors, I took matters into my own hands because I was getting no where; and called my student loan provider to confirm some information I had received in an email.

I was told by my student loan provider that they have NOT been contacted by my school at all about funds being sent back or the "withdraw" status that I did not approve. When bringing this up to my financial advisor in a phone call today he told me, "We notified your loan provider one the 2nd of August (which is when I spoke to him originally) and that it takes 30 days to show to your loan provider that the money is being returned and goes through the Department of Education".

After asking a few more questions not only was the guy rude and insulted my intelligence; he told me that I would owe the school money because more money was sent back to the school than what was received for the classes. I said why would I owe you money? He responded with, "Because you did not complete the credits for the money received and we sent back what the lender requested back." One I did not complete the class because it did not start yet and two your school withdrew me without consulting or contacting me first. When trying to speak to the financial advisor he keep saying I did not understand and that I did not communicate things well.

On a second call he told me that I got the information messed up and he didn't tell me I needed to pay money back. He did tell me I needed to pay money back because I was choosing to withdraw. Again I tried to tell him I did not make this choice you made it for me. He told me if I wanted to continue he could not guarantee he would be able to get my all funds back to cover my classes. Then says, "Oh well it looks like you would have 140", so again if I would have had 140 left over; why do I owe the school anything? I don't! Bottom line after spending the last week sending emails and phone calls back and forth I had no other choice but to not continue my education with UOP. This was the worst experience I have ever had with an higher institute of education!

I have just started attending the UoP online last month. I am do well in my class with an A right now, but have been having problems with the financial aid department. I've spoken to 4 different people so far, and they have all told me different things. The last person, Christine, got an attitude with me and wouldn't let me get a word in. They said everything is good with my account, they're waiting on the money to be released from the lender. That's what the 1st and 3rd person said to why it's taking so long to apply my loans to my account.

The 2nd person said that I just came out of review "yesterday" and it will take about 3-5 days to post to my account. Well those days went by, and I called again. The 4th person, Christine, asked was it that I am waiting on my excess, and told me my account is in a 2nd review after they told me everything was done... No, I want to make sure I am really being awarded loans and won't waste my pell grant just to withdraw due to not being able to get loans... that's understandable. I mentioned how there were tons of former AND current students going through the same thing, and their stories didn't end with them ever getting loans, but a bill instead.

She told me to just stay in class and keep moving forward without the money right now... I mentioned the lawsuit from 09 and she told me that information was false... Her words "You need to check your sources, because no one won a lawsuit against us." I said "so you guys didn't pay about 79 million to settle..." She said, "People sue all of the time, but our school was never hurt by any lawsuit."

Needless to say I told her that I would like to just withdraw at this time, to which she replied "you're going to owe the school." I let her know that I am well aware of that, but I rather owe for 1 class for 1380 than 66,000. It's weird to me that my two grants were applied to my account with no problem, but my loans are taking so long. This is not my 1st or 2nd student loan, and though I know every school is different things aren't adding up. Stay away from this school if you don't want your time wasted. I read the same reviews as mine, but disregarded them thinking the same thing wouldn't happen to everyone. I am taking heed to the warnings and getting out before it's too late!

At first glance the University of Phoenix appeared to be a great place to advance my education. I was sorely mistaken. I was enrolled for my associates in psychology at the time. The classes were terribly constructed. The instructors knew nothing of the subject at hand. They continuously insulted my intelligence, while failing me for simply proving them wrong.

I remember one conversation regarding cognitive dissonance. The teacher told me that the mental stress one experiences while being presented with information that conflicts with their beliefs isn't attributed to cognitive dissonance. That's a basic principle of psychology. I wanted to slap the degree off of her wall, assuming she actually had one. Instead, I remained calm and presented her with the facts, citing Leon Festinger himself. She had no idea who he was (He's the one who founded the theory of cognitive dissonance).

I was later found to be in poor standing due to not passing my "intro to psychology" class. They wanted me to repay them money for this; $3,800 some dollars. I would have been more than happy to pay them if I was at fault, i.e. failing a course, dropping out, etc. I certainly wasn't going to pay them because some instructor had difficulties teaching a course and was insulting my intelligence. After a few rounds of conversation they decided I didn't have to pay them anything, and we came to an agreement. I, of course, did repay the financial aid portion of the expenses.

Now fast-forward three years to the present day. I receive a call from some debt collector stating that I needed to pay $3,865 to the University of Phoenix. It seems they "forgot" that we had come to an agreement. I'm still in the process of dealing with this and probably will be some time. They are incredibly greedy and care nothing for education.

These people do stand not for education. All they want is money. They only mitigate academic progression at the expense of their students. Do yourselves a favor; save your time and money. It will be better spent at nearly any other university without a doubt. I cannot stress this enough. Do not attend this poor excuse of a college. A micro-degree will be worth more than anything from University of Phoenix. Good luck to everyone on their academic journey!

Since the 6th of June I have been trying to get help with getting my money from the school. Then I sent in to manage my own money because they don't know what they are doing. Phone call after phone call and now they want more forms so it can buy them time when in fact it's been way past the time. Just another way for them to stall sending it out. No help from any one. I will seek other outside help if they don't fix this. Poor school to go to.

I started school at the University of Phoenix online in 2011 because I was pregnant and I wanted to make a good life for me and my son. I received my associates degree and was 2 classes away from having my bachelors degree when I was suspended for not completing my 1st field experience class. I had a hard enough time making sure that I got the hours that were needed (175) because I am a single mom who has to work to take care of my son. I had about 170 completed and approved by my instructor when I was told that my hours were not going to count and that I had to redo them. I had 2 weeks to finish. Well that is not even possible! I was then suspended and kicked out of school.

I am now $50,000 in debt because of the loans and The UOP turned me into collections for $800. My degree is useless and I can't even transfer my credits to a different school to finish my bachelors degree! I was 2 classes away and they screwed me over! Please do yourself a HUGE favor and stay away from the University of Phoenix!!!

This was the worst experience. My teachers could not spell correctly. They had no idea what they were teaching about. The counsellors were no help and messed up a lot of things for me financially. I would never recommend this school to anyone. Waste of money and time.

The university employed unqualified instructors. My instructor teaching leadership yet she knows nothing about leadership. She is bias and she should be ashamed of herself. I only had 3 weeks with them and I had to withdrawal immediately once I noticed that it is a waste of money, time and effort. No one should attend this University.

So I have been attending the UOP for sometime. I became interested because I wanted to further my education and had children so I could not attend an actual campus. I completed an Associates, Bachelors and Masters (satisfied all credits 36 but my GPA is 2.95 so according to UOP I have not passed). I started to realize that they charge way too much (I am over $100,000 in debt with all 3 programs), the instructors are not that savvy and I have not learned anything that I did not already know going into the programs. The academic advisors change every 3 months and the overall service is horrible.

I am currently trying to seek out a lawsuit against the UOP. I have already taken 1 class over to satisfy my GPA for my Master's Degree but because you work in learning teams their performance affects your overall grade. When I spoke with the academic counselor who is actually suppose to support me and help me, I was told that in order for me to graduate I would have to pay to take the class over and get an A in the class.

I explained to the counselor that I understand however I cannot afford to pay for another class and I am already in debt beyond belief, is there anything else I can do? He said no I would have to sit out for 6 months (which I have done previously) and then put in an appeal. Once approved I would have to get financial aid (another loan) or pay out of pocket (money I do not have), take the class and get an A (which is not possible because of the learning teams).

I am completely over it with this school. I have paid so much money and I am in so much debt that I want to cry every time I think about it. I need to get my degree. I satisfied ALL 36 CREDITS! There has to be something else that I can do. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. In the meantime I am going to reach out to as many other outlets that I can to see if there is anything else I can do.

University of Phoenix (UOP) exists only to take your money! Over $20,000 for two years! I went through the program, but learned very little. I am not the only one who thinks this way. Most of my classmates feel the same. The teachers are highly unqualified and the students go along with it, just to get the certificate. I tried to rationalize that once I got my degree, I would learn on the job. Wrong! You need to pass many state tests to get the credential. Then you can get a job.

I finished the program and still have not been able to pass some of the tests (TPAs). I have been using YouTube to learn the information I was supposed to learn at UOP. If you do decide to attend, evaluate the program the first two weeks you go there, and you will see what I mean. I complained to my state representative, but he can't do anything. Maybe this UOP is owned by government officials and have much at stake to get rid of this school. Do research on this school. Let the buyer beware!

This is a real review please listen... Dont go its fraud. I have my Bachelor degree in business and just finished my Master degree with this school... Its a joke, no real graduate placement. I was frauded... I am a licensed massage therapist, I make 30 an hour but can only work a max of 5 hours a day four days a week. My rent is 1575... I make 2000 a month. Why would I quit that to start in a lower position and work my way up... Isnt that what education is for, so you dont have to work your way up? I owe 120,000 dollars and I have three kids. I cant buy a house cause my debt to ratio is too high. Cause of student loans... Wow... I cant start a new business cause Im Poor and A 590 credit score. And to make matters worse now Im overqualified for certain jobs. I dont want to talk to people and act like I like them "networking". I want to apply and land the job.

I was frauded from my money which is due in January for the student loans... This school is good if you already are in a profession and need to go up later... DO NOT GO IF YOU ARE SWITCHING PROFESSIONS OR HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN THE DEGREE FIELD YOU ARE STUDYING. I was a certified nurse aid for 15 years and want what everyone wants, a future for my kids money to support them. Ive never made over 25,000 a year. Hoping UOP would change my life... Lol JOKE. If you are poor go to trade school... Or go to an established school so you dont have to talk to people out of state.

Their Alumni website is awful and their response is it will get better... FRAUD... I just saw an ad from UOP that says they are number three or 2 in country to have job placement after graduation... I find that hard to believe... Like I said fraud the reviews are real. The education is good but like I said no experience no job. No job placement from the school no help. Just a referral to a low budget indeed fake Alumni website with jobs for warehouse... cna... and other low qualifying jobs. I guess I'll go work with my husband at a warehouse.

No complaint without a solution... Here is your solution UOP... Help your students find careers like most schools do. Have real people face to face help with footwork. Whats the point of an education without a career or real guidance. Oh yeah mentors that dont respond... "Sorry our website was down, its fixed now". You guys have said that since 2008... Thanks for the venting consumer affairs. I hope everyone listens... Good education, no caring about students. Oh and not everyone sits on their behind wishing for a job, some people are active and I guess have the wrong networking connections. Thats right folks the most popular lands the job!!!

I wasn't expecting much from Phoenix to begin with but this school is bad beyond what I even thought possible. I can honestly say all the horrible things you hear about this school are true. I have previously attended other schools both online and in person. I am aware of how the financial aid process works in most schools. Phoenix, however, is a whole new world. They have lied to me on several occasions about their verification process and have lost my paperwork only to have me submit it again 2 weeks later. These are not even the biggest issues however.

I have been trying for the past five months just to process my financial aid with their financial department. I was encouraged to start classes without financial aid. I initially questioned this because I had not received my financial aid award yet and was not sure what would be covered. I explained grants and loans were the only way I could attend school. Week after week, I called the financial aid department for updates and was told they were still processing my information and had no updates. Two months ago, I tried to leave the school because I wasn't even sure they were still processing my financial aid. I was immediately told I would be billed for the classes I had taken and would have trouble with the department of education and securing loans if I ever wanted financial aid again.

The whole situation feels very much like entrapment. They allow you to begin classes, drag their feet on your financial aid, scare you into staying, then bill you when the situation get out of hand and you try to leave their school. As of today (almost 5 months since I began with the school), I still have no word on my financial aid status despite weekly calls to anyone that will listen. The school treats everyone like a number. If you have an issue where one department need to contact another for an answer they have to submit a ticket which then takes at least 5 days to get a return response.

The instructors are not actual professors. I have yet to locate a single one with any training in education. They are poor communicators and vague with assignments. Assignments are not relevant to the degree plans. I am taking certification classes yet all I seem to be doing is writing papers that are irrelevant to the material needed to pass the certification exam. This is not a good school and desperately needs to be shut down. They use scare tactics to retain students and are cheating people in so many ways. They are the education equivalent of payday loan companies. I cannot stress enough how bad this institution is.

I graduated in 2012 with a Bachelors that is a useless piece of paper that I owe over $70,000. Companies do not take this school seriously.

I too was deceived. Lied to about accreditation. When I went to my counselors, they ASSURED me the programs were in fact accredited and promised me advancement opportunities and assistance with advancement with the UOPHX Alumni Network. What a joke. But I am filing a "Borrower's Defense Claim" with the Department of Education. I spoke with a representative and he told me to tell everyone to file complaints so they can continue to investigate them further.

I have been attending the University of Phoenix for almost 4 years with little to no breaks to just get my degrees out of the way in my youth. I have earned one degree and am halfway through a bachelors. The classes were very educational and I do not agree with the other negative reviews about the content not being understood. If you read all of your textbooks, the content in participation forums is easy and you can create your own educational posts for participation counting. As for the school representatives and staff, they have been extremely helpful to my course stay here at the college. I do agree with one other review here that states the classmates seem dumb and are passing classes here. I see many errors in their writing and yet see them at the graduation class.

I have had difficult professors that demand a high writing ability to active, grammatically correct, formatting dead on, and mathematical equations right in written classroom forums to be counted towards your grade and overall quality points in your transcripts. To me, this matters to be spoken about against the negative reviews here that others are leaving. I loved campus life in high school and enjoy the silent solitude of working where ever I am or in a noisy environment with family. Online college has made working family life possible to achieve a higher level of education and yet I really wish many of my classmates had brains, I just focus on the main goal.

The main goal for me is to lead the conversation into an intelligent conversation that hopefully my classmates will pick up on and for me to graduate while creating high quality work. I had one professor who was from Florida that reminded me of a smart hippy guy in law enforcement. Very dedicated to the most intelligent conversations I ever had. And one who hated my math posts for making one wrong error. My overall satisfaction is good, but I hate the online math classes. I never in my life experienced the computerized program expects you to know it all or else you fail. The math classes are devastating for some and really difficult even for the smartest students.

I would hope that in the future they make it not so insane when you get one equation step wrong that they quit adding on more and more problems that make it never ending. Very poor design that does not teach students how to do the math, but instead making it lengthy. Those were my only three issues with the school. The professors lack of pushing for writing excellence in online class forums, the amount of stupid posts by students that makes the classmates appear uneducated (which annoy me), and the online math class set up. The school could greatly improve this by having a better system and a higher quality level approach to teaching students math that are struggling.

I am sickened beyond belief over this useless piece of paper that I received from University of Phoenix in 2013, which claims to be a Bachelors of Science degree. I already had an Associates degree from back in 2000, and all I needed to do was finish the next 2 years to complete my education. Unfortunately, I was not able to continue my Computer Science degree program because they did not offer it at UoP, so I was forced to instead get my degree in IT. Okay, fair enough I thought, at least I will have the degree. This turned out to be a horrible mistake as I took the online courses to finish my degree.

When I got my Associates degree, it was a different America, and I managed to pay it off over the years, but the cost of this pile of NOTHING that I got from UoP was RIDICULOUS!! $70,000.00 for a two year program?? Is that a joke?? Unfortunately not, and worse, employers just laugh at a degree from Phoenix, and throw your application in the waste basket. Not to mention the program itself was ignorant, and you learn absolutely nothing except how to work in a learning team, which basically means how to do 5 people's work on top of your own. Somebody NEEDS to shut these criminals down for good, and give all of their victims back the money stolen!!

I have a Ph.D. in Geosciences, and I was excited to sign up for a University of Phoenix class in Environmental Law. I had previously taken an Environmental Law class at the Colorado School of Mines that was taught by a lawyer. It was a great class, and I was hoping to have a similar experience online. Boy was I wrong. For one thing, the instructor wrote messages to the class that didn't make any sense. I'm not talking about an occasional misplaced comma or a misspelled word here or there. I am talking about posts that were so poorly written that I could barely understand what she was trying to say. I have never seen anything like this at any brick and mortar institution, including two community colleges.

I looked more closely at the instructor, and it turned out that she was a former high school teacher with no Ph.D. or law degree and no experience in the environmental field. Furthermore, it did not appear that she had any specific expertise in the very complicated field of environmental law. I wondered why this person would be teaching a junior-level environmental science class. Another problem with the class was that the teacher graded in a way that reminded me of something from high school. For instance, I received a poor participation grade presumably because not enough people responded to my posts. What is this, Facebook? I have taken other online classes before, and never has my participation grade been based on how many other students "like" my posts.

A final issue that I have with the University of Phoenix is that they clearly don't care about trying to improve the situation. I tried to call a couple of people to complain. At first, the enrollment person couldn't even tell me how to do that. I literally had to ask several times. Finally, I was able to get into contact with some sort of administrator (as opposed to a department head or coordinating professor). It was clear to me that the administrator was not interested in hearing about what I had to say. Instead, the administrator literally wanted to start arguing with me about how I shouldn't receive any participation points unless other people respond to my posts.

This whole experience leads me to believe that the University of Phoenix is not interested in listening to student feedback or in improving the quality of their courses in any way. I think that they just want to make money and hire the cheapest instructors they possibly can. I also unfortunately ended up losing a lot of money on this course. Please don't make the same mistake that I did!

I am currently attending Phoenix University. I first started in 2013, had to stop for a year and then return in 2014. When I started in 2013 I took two classes at once over 10 weeks and the classes were actually very educational and informational. The second time I returned it was one class per 5 weeks and you are put with a bunch of people that have little-to-no intelligence. I now am one class away from having my associates in accounting. But the last year-and-a-half that I've been working in school it's been a joke. They made me take the same class 4X, just call it something different.

Another thing is I've switched my degree program and I wanted to do it at an earlier date and I was advised not to and to wait and because of that I had to take an extra class that was now required by them which was one of those four classes I had to take the same time over again. The teachers could care less and I would fight back. I now have a lot of student loan debt that I shouldn't because I had a government agency that was sending me but they wouldn't accept the payment until our year in but there is loan forgiveness especially regarding them. They tried to hold on to money of mine that I took out and give me BS reasons why they didn't disperse it but once again I did not accept that.

Within three months they switched my financial advisor and my academic advisor 5 times because I guess they couldn't deal with somebody that I actually knew what they were talking about. I know they ended up having a big meeting because my government agency called and stepped in and the result was that they cut the check right away and teachers were fired for not doing their job properly and me basically having to teach one of the classes just to pass. Currently they didn't want to approve my last class and I have their "Phoenix scholarship" which isn't really a scholarship, it's just a percentage off if you pass the class and the requirements for classes and six months.

My government agency advisor send the voucher 3x and they said they didn't get it the first two. They extended my time to complete my classes and the allotted six months so they are purposefully trying to make sure I lose that scholarship. I'm taking my last class starting next week finally and once I pass I'm going to look into another school to get my bachelor's and completely intend to fight for the money that they made me take out which they probably made plenty of interest on. To be completely honest I learned maybe out of all those classes 5% of the knowledge I now have and everything else I knew already.

Once I get the piece of paper that means nothing from them called my associates. I'm taking them to higher powers whether it be the news, social media Better Business Bureau, congress, et cetera. I'm not paying back all that money in student loans that I didn't have to take out in the first place, not happening, and now I have interest on top of it. It was decent in the beginning because it was flexible and it was actually classes you learn something in but when I returned a year later it was a complete joke. I've been fighting with them over instructor grades, financial affairs since I returned and I'm going to continue once I graduate.

I refuse to accept their negligence as far as teachers and material for learning among other things. I'm a fighter and I will win and hopefully this will open other people's eyes to what they're getting into and will force Phoenix to reimburse people from a class action lawsuit. I have documented every conversation, recorded every conversation with any advisor from Phoenix, any issues I have with instructors grades, et cetera. Previous and current students will be seeing me soon and hopefully I can get some justice for everybody that got taken advantage of. One thing I'm good at is fighting for what is right no matter what it takes and that's what I'm going to do.

I graduated in 2012 with a BS in IT. I already had over 18 years of experience in IT but as a Hispanic without a degree, very few employers took me seriously. Even with 5 years of verifiable management experience and a stint as a reservist in the Navy, I was having a hard time moving forward in my career. I had just lost my home to Countrywide Financial (a whole other story) and there was some medical issues at home too. I needed to move my career forward. UOPX was recommended by my employer and the Navy so I signed up.

The classes were relatively easy for me since I already knew most of the material. That should have been a clue, but I was just as naive about education as I was about mortgages. (It's a cultural thing, unless you are Hispanic you cannot judge.) After graduation, I have applied for over 100+ jobs. Even with over 25 years total experience no one takes me seriously and even question my resume now (something I did not have to deal with before). Even hiring managers in the company I work for now question my resume and credentials, even though I have a track record of excellence in this organization and the respect of many.

So I am in the exact same IT job that I was in when I started at UOPX, making the exact same money, except I now have close to $80k in debt that I will never be able to pay back and a resume no one believes is true. So no chance of me every buying a house again and no legal resources to assist. Between the worthless degree and the hate against Hispanics (BTW I am an American citizen not an immigrant or illegal) it is virtually impossible to move my career forward, or even get another job. If I get laid off then I am in real trouble.

Unless the government steps in and fixes this mess there is no way out for me and the many in my situation. I am now an indentured servant to the student loan servicers; except that unlike the indentured servants of the past, no amount of work will release me. Even death will only cause more pain to my family, so that is also not an option (not that I considered that but I did check to see what would happen if I died).

Lessons learned... I am writing this as a warning to others out there considering any online school, or any post-secondary education (Particularly UOPX). Here is what I learned from this experience (note none of this will get me a better job). Be very careful and do your homework. It's buyer beware and government sanctioned robbery. Like the wild west, trust no one. Avoid "for profit" institutions at all cost, no matter what they offer you. If it states that it's "non-profit" that's just a legal term and it means nothing. It's still a business looking for profit.

The only schools you can trust are those that are publicly funded by the state they are in, and even those are sometimes scams. Do your research and if you have to take student loans, make sure that you can pay it the year you take it. Do not put them on deferment. You will be sorry. If the per hour charge is greater than $400/cu it's not worth it, unless it's an ivy league.

Treat student loans like credit cards. Pay them off as fast as possible when you incur the debt and when you reach the max you can pay out of pocket, stop until you pay it down. They won't tell you this but Student Loans are toxic debt and will ruin your life moving forward. Avoid them at all costs. Remember that a degree is not a guarantee of employment. So do not bank on making enough money to pay loans back. No matter what they tell you, going to any non-publicly sanctioned/funded institution is not an investment in your future. You are mortgaging your life and getting nothing in return except a worthless piece of paper.

If everyone that is dissatisfied with the University of Phoenix would contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint, we all may get at least some of our money back. I went to UOP for a year. I was so dissatisfied with my classes, professors, stupid students that I was teamed with, and advisors that said everything would get better that I quit UOP. Now they say on top of the debt I have that I owe 3000 dollars more out of pocket. All they want is your money and once they get it, they don't care about you. If you care about getting good grades and work hard, you will have to work even harder because of all of the ignorant and lazy team members that need you to get a good grade. The stupid members of my teams are graduating with a masters in psychology while I had to change schools because I was so stressed from doing my work and the work of the other students.

After each class I would complain to my advisors about the other students and it all fell on deaf ears. The last class I took, I was bullied by one of my ignorant team members because she wanted so bad to be in charge. I was so sick and tired of fighting that I let her take over and I gave up. She turned in the most horrible paper that had so many grammar issues and even had plagiarism in it. I was mortified to have my name on the paper. I thought we would get a bad grade on the paper, but to my surprise, we got an A on it. I knew then that I was not getting a proper education. I am trying to get as many people to tell the BBB their horror stories so that we can get as much money back from this greedy school as possible and to hopefully shut them down.

My experience with this school has been a complete nightmare. They will tell you ANYTHING to get you enrolled into classes. I was lied to in so many ways. Being greatly deceived, I decided not to return to class after taking a Leave of Absence. This must have gotten under someone's skin because they Administratively Withdrew me then sent an email a week later demanding payment for Resource Fees. This was my second attempt to complete their MBA program so I honestly tried to give them a chance. This school is only concerned about making money and could care less about your success. Attending U of P was a waste of my time!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.
  • Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.
  • Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.
  • Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.
  • Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges