University of Phoenix

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I feel that the University of Phoenix should better explains things in the beginning especially the financial aspects, but going to this school was a good experience. I was a working mom with three kids, so this worked out great.

Enrolling is easy if you have a credit card. Courses are geared for the mature person who has to work also. Their course offers a large range of subject matter that interests me and the times are convenient. I really enjoyed these courses but I really think their courses should be more extensive and I wish I had more time for more. Also, I like the instructors. They have a great deal of knowledge on the subjects they teach. I dislike the way they grade though and the way they publish grades.

University of Phoenix was understanding about my situation. Going back to school is never easy and the UOP made it as painless as possible by providing adequate resources and help when I needed it. They have the same amount of filling out forms as everywhere and it's very easy to enroll. Easy to navigate their website, helpful people when I had questions and I had a lot of say in creating my class load. The courses enabled me to earn my Masters of Arts and Education so I could fulfill my goal of becoming a primary school teacher. I am very satisfied with my experience.

University of Phoenix made it so easy to complete my BA in business management while I was starting a business and continue working my full time job! Working out at the gym & having a personal life wasn't easy, but online classes did the trick! For enrollment, go to the website, type-in your educational information, schools you've attended, previous classes you've completed. Classes were very inexpensive. I would like it if there were more video conference classes. It is very cool to be able to see your classmates & learn about them. I didn't have the awkward feeling of standing in front of a bunch of strangers & introducing myself to them.

University of Phoenix's curriculum was quality. The professors were always great about responding back. The online course are quick and never down unless scheduled maintenance. The course is well informative and ideal and was about as perfect as it can be. The online descriptions are right to the point. The course have been very helpful in my career and I find it easy to understand and complete.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

It was easy to enroll in classes. I requested more information about the university and within a few weeks of that, I was enrolled. The counselors that I worked with were all very helpful in preparing me for getting an online degree. I liked that I was able to do coursework on my own time. I was able to work full time while studying. The flexibility of online courses made it much easier to attend college. The program itself was fine, but the degree was useless and left me in a great deal of debt.

I did not take online classes. I felt at the time with three small children that I would have had too many distractions at home to take online classes. Now that the children are older I would reconsider. It may actually be easier because our schedules are so demanding. I had many classmates and co-workers who have taken classes online and spoke to the ease of the process. I only ever interacted with my group members and teacher in an online capacity as it related to compiling and turning in assignments. If I go back to complete my MBA I will take online classes this time though. I have heard very positive things about the interface.

I found it really easy to enroll and take the courses of online education. But the cost were extremely expensive. Even though there weren't physical textbooks we were required to print out every page and every chapter. Resulting in printer ink costs and wear and tear on basic printers. Other than that, courses very helpful and it's much easier and less stressful doing online classes. It's convenient and don't need transportation. And the instructor always had a planned syllabus that was very straightforward and always made it comfortable to ask any question or concerns we had. Much of the curriculum is centered around real life work experience. Also, the program also made it mandatory to work closely in groups. You never had the feeling that you were learning your courses on your own. You were always involved in group activity throughout the entire course.

University of Phoenix allows me to work, live my life, and get my education. I don't have the transportation to commute to a traditional school, so this is much more convenient for me and my lifestyle. The enrollment was quite easy. Had to apply for aide, give personal info. The whole process took maybe an hour and I got my financial aide approval fast for this university. The admissions staff was very friendly and helpful when I was applying. I even sent a thank you letter to the rep for being so helpful in the enrollment process.

However, I would like to have more time with professors and tutoring when needed. Emails aren't enough sometimes. I'm both visual and written learner so I would like to chat via webcam. Would also like to know my score that day instead of waiting for them to be posted online. I try to keep a good GPA and it's important to know the areas that need extra work. Would also like to have better ways to learn. Sometimes the learning modules aren't descriptive enough for a student to completely learn a skill on. I have done online courses through universities and they have had much better methods of learning. I'm taking nursing and the skills portion must be physically shown, not just described and pictured. I am trying to get my bachelor's so these tools are very crucial to my success. They're doing a good job, but definitely wish they had better modules of training us. Skills learning should be on a personal level. Not just computerized. I would also like for there to be more resources for learning. Meaning, other experienced nurses and doctors that could help with questions I may have.

Going to school online is fun! It is very easy to engage with the online platform. The teachers just need to be more flexible as far as when homework is due. But I like the fact that with University of Phoenix online, I do not have to commute to a physical school.

It is very simple to enroll, never have to leave home or run around the campus to find things. I love that I can learn in my pajamas while not wearing makeup or trying to impress anyone and I don't have to take sick days. Easily accessible, can always email someone for answers, and works on my time. But I think having a real classroom would improve the student-teacher experience and learning would flourish. Personally I would love to create a weekly classroom forum for students to learn and interact with professors. No campus life, no sorority, no dating, no human to human interactions, being glued to my computer for all school functions, unable to make new friends or party, and never met teachers or classmates. My coursework is very rigorous and challenging. I am a social person and love being around people and it's very difficult for me to only type to speak to people.

The University of Phoenix will be benefit to anyone that needs to use online programs in the future. It was easy to engage on the platform and I was able to move forward in the platform as needed. Though some part do not give enough information so I am forced to look for other outside information. But by improving it will help to continue success of online programs for future students.

I found it was very easy to engage with the online platform and enrolling in classes I was interested in was fairly straight-forward. I think that doing everything from your computer at home is a much easier process than having to go to classes at a brick and mortar college. I like the convenience of doing it from home. You can't beat that. Working full-time, it is hard to go to a school after work when you have a family that relies on you to take care of them. However, some employers frown upon online learning and usually give preference to people who went to "real" schools. Thankfully I was able to find a good job but I know that other people struggle because of the stigma associated with online colleges.

Online platform is very easy and enrolling is a phone call away. Online interaction allows you to get to know your classmates even better than in a traditional classroom environment. Can do work on my own time and schedule and instructors are understanding. But course work not very rigorous and doesn't have the respect of general populace. Some students able to slide by as grading is not as strict as traditional schools. But good option for many people who cannot attend traditional schools.

The online platform is very user friendly - quite well organized and straightforward to engage with while signing up for classes as well as while studying. I thought that at time there were certain things I was required to complete that were not germane to what I was trying to learn, but I understand that as a for-profit school they must subsidize less popular programs. I most enjoyed the flexibility of the program that I had enrolled in. I was working full time and it was nice to be able to budget my time for studies around my other work and social obligations.

I would not mean to disparage a single soul if I were to say the following: like a traditional on campus and online school in the traditional sense. I would like an improvement in the program in the most accurate and absolute sense of the word. I don't mean to disparage anyone when I say the following: in that I wish the teacher had longer office hours and to engage in the online platform if a professor were accessible late at night.

I got online and signed up for classes at University of Phoenix. My classes wasn't that bad and I got video interaction with teacher and students. I also watched video of teacher teaching the course. I really liked taking the course and doing it at my own pace. You could work hard, read, study, and take test as soon as you think you are ready. I did the tests on the website. And the website had really good passwords and security. I also liked that every test was open book but they were still challenging. Many questions wanted your opinion and mine wasn't in the book.

But it's not the same as taking the class at an actual school and classroom. You can interact with the teacher but there was hardly any interaction with the students. University of Phoenix should come up with a way to give students the access to do group assignments and study together. Making it a video or FaceTime interaction would get more students to take online classes and be able to get their degree. I completed the class about 3 weeks early and would definitely take online classes there again if I needed to.

From the University of Phoenix online platform, the most I like is how user-friendly it is, compared to other institutions. Following close are the support both in their online tools and Professors. In my pursue of education, I have joined a few high education institution. So far, University of Phoenix is the best. From the enrollment process and the course taking, University of Phoenix makes it very easy for the student. Their programs are design for the working adult, providing a great deal of flexibility to their students. Their courses apply 100% to the real world.

Enrolling here is just as easy and just as difficult, nothing really is changed here. I still study and do research, I am just able to do it from my home. Convenience is the number one reason I can think of as to why I would favor an online school compared to a campus school, there is just something appealing about doing my tests in my undies, but there are downsides, like more restrictive access to the professors.

University of Phoenix is a great choice for anyone who wants to comfortably study at home and on their own schedule. It has classes at any time, because we can watch the videos if you miss a video lesson live. It's a college for people like me. It fits very well in my profile that I work! All the course processes of the classes are perfectly pleasant and useful. At Phoenix, we make our own schedule, which makes everything more flexible! The enrollment process is very easy to give you with the platform online, even for laypeople. There is no secret, just want and choose a course and enjoy, because in my course, I have excellent teachers and I am learning a lot in my classes. This year I graduate!

The courses have been very helpful. It is somewhat difficult to engage online platform and some of the classes I have been taking are difficult as well. They also have features that you can use reading audio while typing. Though, I would intentionally improve a couple of classes.

I submitted documents online and got user login to my email and mailed to my address. I was able to take advantage of the course the very same day I was approve. It is cheaper than a traditional outlet school. It provides portable learning through my laptop and webcam. I love how I can get help from the professors. It was very pleasant. But I would like it to be improved to allow offline learning for some aspects. There is a disadvantage of no experiments use at a facility that is only available on a traditional campus. But it is a memorable and short experience. And I would do it again.

I like that the online universities provide flexible hours, online resources, university libraries, group discussions, easy access anywhere from multiple devices. The online platform of University of Phoenix is easy to navigate, intuitive, and full of helpful resources. But overall it is a poor learning environment. It focuses on quantity over quality, is money driven, and there's little care on academic "no-nos" like plagiarism. Faculty interaction is less than desirable. Instructors are not engaging enough for a learning environment and it's very black and white; there is little room to explore and further knowledge of specific topics/disciplines. Not worth the money.

I like the website setup in the classroom and how you can navigate and find out all of your assignments. I enjoy how we can follow up and check our grades and find out what our score was after our teacher grades it. I also enjoy all types resources and helpful information as far as where to go to get help and looking on something like scholarships. One of my favorite things about University of Phoenix is they do call you and verify that everything's going ok. I really appreciate that one on one. At first I was shy but then I opened up and it was very helpful. It was easy to engage with the online posting, along with excellent courses. The instructors correspond back and forth and then make you start coming up with more questions as you're going throughout the week. It allows you to be more successful at it and able to help you make more successful post.

But I disliked the fact your participation grade breakdowns by signing on three different days during the week... Two days should be acceptable. Also, a lot of the scholarship are offered to students that are already attending class for a week and not to students that are just getting ready to go to the university. Because for some reason I was not eligible for Pell Grant and then I could apply for like 6 scholarships because I already started class. To get you started, the visors and coach need to go and watch more step by step through the Pell Grant and the financing part of it so you're not a deer in the headlights looks when you get slapped with a $1,500 bill.

The platform was simple, efficient and easy to use, however there are better ways to conduct online classes that can be more interactive and effective. On the other hand, I like the structure of the online classes and coaches. They were very helpful, persistent, understanding and fair with the way they conducted the courses, which were very engaging, intriguing and filled with excitement. Plus, I have been able to use my degree to open up new doors to further my career.

I like that I can take classes at times that work for my schedule. I can work my full time job and earn a degree at the same time. I never felt overwhelmed while I was taking classes because I could be flexible when I did the work. The process of enrolling and taking courses is easy. The online format used is user friendly and easy to learn. If I ever had and technology issues, it was easy to get help with that as well. But I would like more interaction with the counseling and advising staff. At times, I need to make decisions about what classes to take or what direction I want to go with my studies. It would be helpful to have more contact with administrative staff.

I like University of Phoenix a lot because enrolling is easy and time saving. Once I get the placement test out of the way, everything else was straightforward. The online interface is very easy for me to use. Also, there are a lot of classes for me to choose from, so there is always something works for me. The courses I took was helpful in me trying to get my last GE done. The online program is good, it's good for people who have a regular job and not able to go to traditional school. I am able to get the unit at my own time.

I like the University of Phoenix but it is not very respected. On resumes, it is seen as a subpar school. It's almost like it's not a real college degree which is very sad overall but the world is the world.

The courses are simple and easy to complete and the syllabus is easy to follow along too. I really like how their website is set up! It has a social network sort of feel to it! The enrolling process is really easy. In the beginning, a financial aid and an academic counselor both make contact with student. The financial counselor walks the student through completing the FAFSA and applying for financial aid and the academic counselor compares the student existing credits against their selected degree and informs the student of which classes they need to take. The school is fine. However I have read several different articles which indicate that the University of Phoenix does not properly prepare their students for the degrees they are pursuing. Many employers don't recognize University of Phoenix degrees as being a qualifier for employment.

I got on the computer, filled out my application, sent in my application fee, picked the course I wanted to take, and gave them my number if they needed to talk to me about anything. I picked out a secondary course just in case the first one didn't work out it. All went well and I got the one I wanted. University of Phoenix has a great program. Their classes are great and so easy to understand. You learn a lot from them. They are very helpful. The online program is so easy and exciting. I like it a lot.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since its founding in 1976, the University of Phoenix has put providing higher education to working adults at the forefront of their mission. The goal is to be convenient while still providing a quality education.

• Regionally accredited: Many online colleges pursue national accreditation instead of regional, but University of Phoenix has programs accredited by either. They are on notice regarding their regional accreditation, but they keep their accreditation while they address any issues.
  • Get a doctorate: Few online colleges can offer a PhD program, but the University of Phoenix offers several options.
  • Professional development courses: For those who are not interested in pursuing an additional degree program, but do need to maintain course work for professional development, this college has a range of options.
  • Teaching programs: Many online programs are limited to technology, business, finance and health fields, but University of Phoenix goes outside the box to include teaching and the social sciences.
  • Know admissions requirements upfront: To find out additional information about admissions, many colleges require a phone interview, but University of Phoenix publishes their requirements on their website.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges