1.92/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Paul Mitchell School

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Paul Mitchell School Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a picture downloaded on my phone of a haircut. I have taken this picture to at least 7-8 hair stylists/barbers/hairdressers. Not ONE of them came as close as Johnathon, under Aaron's supervision, did yesterday. They were very communicative and asked along the way if something was to my liking BEFORE they made a cut, which is something I had never seen before honestly (though I believe we should, considering the mess-ups I've endured getting my hair cut in the past). And besides that, it was so freaking cheap. I can't believe I got one of the best haircuts of my life for the cheapest price of my life. 10/10.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I did not even get my foot in the door. I tried scheduling for an appointment twice. It was over a week and a half before someone actually returned my phone call. And when the girl finally did call she was not bothered by the lengthy wait time. Ultimately, I ended up scheduling with another company. They were able to see my daughter within 2 days' time. Horrible customer service and a disregard for their client's time. How disrespectful can it truly get?

Get expert buying tips about Cosmetology Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I DO NOT recommend this place! I came yesterday to Paul Mitchell school to do my hair. I asked for platinum highlights and a little bit of dark. My appointment was at 1 pm and they messed with my hair about 30 minutes after 6 pm. I spend all day there, they are very slow, they don't what they doing, never trimmed my hair and did not flat it. My hair looks dull and dark instead of platinum highlights. They can't wash hair properly and I do NOT recommend this place! Also was too expensive for what they did!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I do NOT recommend them. I used to, I went a few years back and I loved the price and what the results of my hair. But these past two times were TERRIBLE! I first went in the Saturday before Christmas (12/22) to get my hair bleached and dyed a silver/grey. When I got there the lead told me that I would more than likely have to come in for one more round of bleaching, but we will try not to. A couple hours later, they tell me they are done for the day and my hair was orange. They didn't even bleach it to blonde, just orange. So I was highly upset. They tried to tell me "We told you would need another treatment" to which I said "You told me I MIGHT need one but we would go as far as we could today, which you didn't. You made my head orange" and they didn't really say anything except we would be able to do it the next time I come in, I then asked when that would be, they told me 4 weeks.

I asked them I had to not only go 4 week with orange hair, but I was supposed to go to Christmas like that? And they said I could put some temporary on there but they suggested 4-6 weeks. So whatever, I paid them, went home put some temporary on for the holidays, and waited until this past weekend to go back. Which was 7 weeks in between. SO go in and show them what I want, I'll add pictures in the comments. The SAME picture I showed the first time.

This visits lead told me that it would be hard, and there would be a pink undertone, and it might not be as silvery as I want, but we could try. And we went back and forth about pink undertone and bleaching one more time and coming back. But he made it seem like it would be more of a grey and pink undertone. I don't know about you, but when I hear/think of undertone, I think it's gonna shine pink. Look pink in the sun. Which I'm okay with that, hell that would be cool to have grey/silver hair that shines pink.

SO we bleach my hair, and they put the color in. She bring me back to my chair, faces me so I can't look in the mirror, brushes my hair out and says "well it's a few different colors". She turns me around and my hair is BLUE. First thing I said was "WHY is my hair blue???" and she tried to say that is was because of the pink, but I stopped her and said the pink has nothing to do with the blonde and it being BLUE. So my hair is about 4 different colors, including blue, green, pink, and purple, and yellow. I'm your neighborhood troll doll, or my niece likes to say a unicorn. The girl doing my hair said she did not agree with the color blend the lead picked, but she couldn't go against him because he was her boss. I got up, paid the tab and left. They asked if I wanted to speak to the lead and I said no.

There was nothing more they could do, my hair was already breaking off because it was fried. I did not want to speak anyone.

So my advice is, if you want some highlights or something, they're great. Maybe a nice hair cut, SUREEE but if you want something fun and exciting, NOPE. Now my hair is fried and I have to get special treatments done to repair it, and I can't even dye it to not look like a unicorn for at least a couple weeks. I will not go back to them, I will no longer be recommending them, and I will tell everyone I know wanting some color to go anywhere BUT here.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I have been going to Paul Mitchell. The school for the past couple of years I have here during my few last visit I came across a manager called Tarik. I went in for a highlight and color retouch and he was advising my hair stylist as to what colors to match. At the end of my color treatment my hair turned green. Another manager came in and helped out by trying to wash the green off and resolve with a different product. I had burning sensation for weeks but did not say anything as it was not the stylist fault but the manager! That said instead of being apologetic he just kept telling me not to put oil on my hair when I go home.

I had several other visits after that whereas I try to avoid having him as the advising manager. Not only he is not professional and knows his work but he also is very rude and lack customer service. One day when I was driving to get to the salon and there was an accident in front of me I contacted the salon to let them know I will be about 4 to 5 minutes late. You would think that after that had happened to me they would accommodate that! Instead the person who picked up the phone passed it to Tarik and I told him I will probably be no more than five minutes late as I had already been driving for 40 minutes from Bethesda.

His response was, "Absolutely not. If you are even one minute past the hour we won’t take you." He said this in a very rude manner too! If you are in a customer service area you need to respect your customers and accommodate them not to turn them back. Tarik either needs training or should find another job because according to many of his students he is not nice to them either and speaks in a disrespectful tone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Mitchell School?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Teachers are negative and unhelpful. I wish I would have gone to GCI but I didn't listen to others. You are basically paying for the name if you go here. If you have the same teachers, you will have to deal with attitude (from them), negative communication, favoritism, and possibly regret of paying to go to school at a place you dislike and are treated horribly. I have never really experienced a teacher that hates her job so much she complains to the students, who work very hard to pay and go get skincare education. I am trying to help others so they don't make the same mistake I did! Equipment is sometimes broken and never fixed, and marketing is never published for the esthetics services and teachers push students to get clients for them. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Bailey is my stylist at the school in Baton Rouge. She is awesome!!! When I received a phone call today to see how my appointment was, I spoke to Ivy. I guess she is in some office somewhere. I asked her about the point system and how did it work. She told me I had $93 in credit. Why didn't they tell me that when I went Friday? That would have saved me $63 that I spent there. They want to give you the points and want you to keep coming back, but they don't want to tell you, "I know you have $93 in points why don't you use some of them". I asked if I could get a refund of the the amount I spent and just keep the rest on account. I was told I had to use them all by the end of the year. Well, I just went Friday and the end of the year is the 31st.

I am not going to get my haircut or colored again within 3 weeks. I think this is a rip off! If I do not hear from them by 3 today I will call them back. This is a matter that has to be settled. I was the last customer to leave there on Friday. I don't care if it was a teacher or not that was checking me out. In fact, if it was a teacher she should know everything, not just hair. I have a really bad feeling now about that company and it's a shame because the person who does my hair is awesome.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Good luck to you, after enrolling at any Paul Mitchell School. I should have listened to what I saw online, because it's all true. You have to teach yourself, while getting berated by clients, the girls are awful and harassing, and if you decide you want to withdraw, do it sooner than later because they'll charge you 12,000+ after only 7 months of enrollment and not tell you that you owe that much until you have to constantly try and try and try and even contact corporate to get ahold of financial aid. This school will rip you off.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Green Bay - I was so excited when I finally was able to get in again for an appointment because I was so happy with my results last time... However I am currently sitting in my car because I am not able to get my hair done because my son is with me. When I was just here in early September, my son sat next to me and watched a movie while I got my hair done. There was no problem and everything was great. Today the lady came up to me and told me that I would only be able to go out on the floor so someone would have to come and watch my son. This is something that needs to be shared before the appointment, especially when there was no problem two months ago.

If I would have known this was the case, I would have made prior arrangements. I am seriously furious because being a teacher there are very few times that I am able to come and I have been looking forward to this appointment for so long. I seriously cannot believe the lack of professionalism. I know it sounds silly, but there are very few things that you do for yourself once you are a parent, and I was really looking forward to a new cut and color. This was my birthday present to myself... Happy birthday to me???

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Went in for color and highlights. Asked for lighter base color and blonde highlights. What I got was nothing close to what I asked for. Base color was the same as it was before she started. Highlights were terrible. Chunky in some places and hardly any in other places. Uneven...more on one side than the other. Highlights lighter on one side than the other. She didn't even get close to the ends of my hair. I hate to say it but the girl does NOT need to be doing hair. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got home. I was almost in tears. Staff and students not very professional. Walking around laughing and talking and being loud. Seems like they should be practicing when they don't have clients. Bedroom shoes and shower shoes are not appropriate attire. Should be dress like they would if they were actually working.

I moved here from Knoxville TN and always went to Paul Mitchell there. NEVER had an issue. Staff and students were always very professional. Makes me wonder if there is any consistency in training and management across the schools. Little Rock school definitely needs an overhaul. I guess as long as they make money they don't really care. I'm not even sure I want them to try to fix this mess. They might make it worse. May just bite the bullet and spend more to get it "professionally" done. I will NEVER go to this salon again.

Paul Mitchell School expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As a top name in the beauty industry, it is no surprise that Paul Mitchell also turns out 14,000 qualified graduates each year.

• Comprehensive programs: They offer everything from full cosmetology to barbering or even teacher training.

• Locations all over: There are more than 100 U.S. locations for you to choose from.

• Accreditation: Paul Mitchell Schools are accredited by the NACCAS and COE and they are recognized by the Department of Education.

• Location specific websites: Find out which programs are available at the locations nearest you, with individual websites devoted to each of their locations.

• Online tuition calculator: Find out about costs before wasting any time on applications or admissions.

• Best for: High school grads, hobbyists and job seekers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs