Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.79/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Paul Mitchell School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Mitchell School?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paul Mitchell School?

Original review: May 29, 2020

I am a student at The Paul Mitchell school of Milwaukee. I am also a customer who has gone in for chemical services. I made the mistake of not researching this school before I signed up. One of the biggest problems that I have had since I started at the Paul Mitchell school is that it is an unprofessional place (students sleeping on live classes, language, smoking in front of the school, etc). The way that both students and staff act is something that you would not see in a reputable salon.

Another big problem is the teaching staff. Paul Mitchell has its own teaching method. They expect their staff to teach and expect their students to learn in a limiting way. I understand that different schools are going to teach in different ways, but Paul Mitchell school does a poor job of explaining why they want us to do something that they call "the Paul Mitchell way."

Currently Paul Mitchell students are participating in online classes. It is a rough time for everyone. We are using Google Classroom as well as a website that Paul Mitchell uses for their practical work. The state has certain requirements that Paul Mitchell has to abide to. Two of those requirements are that Paul Mitchell must prove to the state that they are having contact with their students and that they need to keep track of the hours that their students are getting. The system that they have in place is a 15 minute meeting to show that they are in contact with us, and they assign homework with a certain amount of time that it should take to complete. I am in the five hour night program. My assignments must equal a total of five hours. But this system is poorly put together and poorly managed. I am going to go through a quick school day to show what others and I are experiencing as students at Paul Mitchell.

The very first part of our online program is a 15 minute meeting. We have about fifteen minutes to maybe a half hour for about 20 students to ask questions about their homework assignments and get other help with school. After that, we have our theory assignments that we must complete. To make a long story short, we are expected to read a chapter in a website called Cengage and do the activities associated with the chapter by ourselves. I have one, maybe two people that I can go to if I have a quick question or two. That is it! I feel like I am teaching myself.

Other assignments that we have for our hourly credit are two optional live classes or reading and doing assignments out of a tablet that they have provided. Again, these assignments are expected to be completed without help from an instructor. The live classes are unorganized and not very helpful. I choose to go to these classes because there is some interaction and because the alternate assignments are long and difficult to do. I didn't sign up and pay over $3000 to teach myself. These live classes are poorly scheduled as well.

As I mentioned before, I am a night school student. I go to school for five hours a day, four days a week. During that five hour span, I am scheduled to be in two live classes depending on the day of the week. There have been classes scheduled that overlap each other. I can only attend one class. I do not get credit for both classes. I have been told that I can attend a class in the day program, but that is not the program that I signed up for! I should not have to take time out of my schedule to get credit for a class that Paul Mitchell scheduled me for and decided to either cancel 15 minutes before class or due to an overlap.

One of the canceled classes was canceled because the instructor had one of her clients call in for an appointment. Really? My experience at Paul Mitchell has been horrible. They gave me options to go on a leave of absence, but it would push my graduation date back affecting student aid and my money. Don't make the mistake that I made.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I called Paul Mitchell The School Atlanta and I was transferred to Admissions. A woman answered and asked how she could assist me. I asked for my transcripts to be sent to my new school & for some reason it did not click in her mind. She said “this is Paul Mitchell”. In my mind I was like “I know” so I repeated the information and broke it down because there was a possibility that I didn’t explain it well the first time around, I understand. What I don’t understand is why she transferred me MID SENTENCE without making me aware that she was doing so! A new person was on the line and I requested a manager for a complaint. Whether anything will be done about it or not is unknown. What I do know is, the customer service is trash & I am so happy I am no longer a student at this location. My classmates fought on a daily basis like violence was the answer. Do yourself a favor and find another location.

Get buying tips about Cosmetology Schools delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My 14 year old daughter went in looking for full foil highlights. Instead she left with a splotchy brown crown and the rest of her hair yellow, pink, and a purple gray hue. They blamed it on previous color, which they never asked about. And she’s never colored her full head of hair. It was bad. I didn’t want to upset her further so I didn’t cause a scene. But surprisingly, they charged us for this mess. It was so bad my daughter cried the whole way home and then locked herself in her room. We spent EIGHT hours at another salon yesterday getting this fixed. THEN I was given a fake email address to contact the owner. Don’t go here.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I went to Paul Mitchell in 2017 for night cosmetology classes. DO NOT PAY TO GO HERE. The entire school is run by one group of friends and family. They certainly play favorites, and teachers are constantly quitting, getting fired, and slacking off. I can honestly say I learned little ton nothing here.... but I did get to basically work a full time job taking clients to make them money. My class was begging them to stop triple booking us every single night because it was giving everyone anxiety and we weren’t actually learning anything just giving cheap people the same 2 haircuts and colors.

The receptionist claimed she was told by the dean to book as many appointments as possible because they were paying customers. Because of this we had to cram clients in and “work” late almost every night, even though we were already staying until 10pm. The staff is incompetent. The financial aid office just left random files and papers everywhere and constantly lost things. Multiple students were told halfway through their term that financial aid didn’t go through because they forgot to file forms, cash payments were “lost”. Halfway through my term someone from financial aid came in and made me sign a paper in the middle of the class. He pressured me to do it quickly, then after I sign it he gives me a copy that they raised the rates and I was expected to pay more?

The last financial aid officer they hired was a family friend... He had no degree or experience, and previously worked at a gas station. Then after graduating and thinking my bill was all set, I get notice a year later that they sold $3000 worth of debt to a collection agency for “owed tuition”. Never once did they try to contact me by phone, email, or mail to notify me I owed them anything and now my credit is ruined!

This school should be dismantled, and a class action lawsuit should be obtained from the criminal neglect they have towards their students. Over the time I was there three separate night classes were canceled because the dean determined they were too small (5 people each class) & weren’t worth him keeping the school open at night. He waited each time until they had attended classes 3-5 months before telling them “we're cancelling your program, you can attend day classes if you’d like or we’ll refund your money but you will receive no credit for any hours”. How do you waste 5 months of someone’s life and then tell them they don’t get any credit for it?

Seriously they are all money hungry and poorly managed. I highly suggest going to any other local cosmetology school If you’re looking for hands on education. Going here actually made me afraid to work in a salon because I was not taught anything and If I ever asked a question teachers would embarrass you in front of clients. This isn’t a personal opinion either, it was multiple classes and day and night students who had this complaint. After reading reviews I see this is an issue across multiple states. Such a terrible school.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have a picture downloaded on my phone of a haircut. I have taken this picture to at least 7-8 hair stylists/barbers/hairdressers. Not ONE of them came as close as Johnathon, under Aaron's supervision, did yesterday. They were very communicative and asked along the way if something was to my liking BEFORE they made a cut, which is something I had never seen before honestly (though I believe we should, considering the mess-ups I've endured getting my hair cut in the past). And besides that, it was so freaking cheap. I can't believe I got one of the best haircuts of my life for the cheapest price of my life. 10/10.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I did not even get my foot in the door. I tried scheduling for an appointment twice. It was over a week and a half before someone actually returned my phone call. And when the girl finally did call she was not bothered by the lengthy wait time. Ultimately, I ended up scheduling with another company. They were able to see my daughter within 2 days' time. Horrible customer service and a disregard for their client's time. How disrespectful can it truly get?

Original review: April 24, 2019

I DO NOT recommend this place! I came yesterday to Paul Mitchell school to do my hair. I asked for platinum highlights and a little bit of dark. My appointment was at 1 pm and they messed with my hair about 30 minutes after 6 pm. I spend all day there, they are very slow, they don't what they doing, never trimmed my hair and did not flat it. My hair looks dull and dark instead of platinum highlights. They can't wash hair properly and I do NOT recommend this place! Also was too expensive for what they did!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I do NOT recommend them. I used to, I went a few years back and I loved the price and what the results of my hair. But these past two times were TERRIBLE! I first went in the Saturday before Christmas (12/22) to get my hair bleached and dyed a silver/grey. When I got there the lead told me that I would more than likely have to come in for one more round of bleaching, but we will try not to. A couple hours later, they tell me they are done for the day and my hair was orange. They didn't even bleach it to blonde, just orange. So I was highly upset. They tried to tell me "We told you would need another treatment" to which I said "You told me I MIGHT need one but we would go as far as we could today, which you didn't. You made my head orange" and they didn't really say anything except we would be able to do it the next time I come in, I then asked when that would be, they told me 4 weeks.

I asked them I had to not only go 4 week with orange hair, but I was supposed to go to Christmas like that? And they said I could put some temporary on there but they suggested 4-6 weeks. So whatever, I paid them, went home put some temporary on for the holidays, and waited until this past weekend to go back. Which was 7 weeks in between. SO go in and show them what I want, I'll add pictures in the comments. The SAME picture I showed the first time.

This visits lead told me that it would be hard, and there would be a pink undertone, and it might not be as silvery as I want, but we could try. And we went back and forth about pink undertone and bleaching one more time and coming back. But he made it seem like it would be more of a grey and pink undertone. I don't know about you, but when I hear/think of undertone, I think it's gonna shine pink. Look pink in the sun. Which I'm okay with that, hell that would be cool to have grey/silver hair that shines pink.

SO we bleach my hair, and they put the color in. She bring me back to my chair, faces me so I can't look in the mirror, brushes my hair out and says "well it's a few different colors". She turns me around and my hair is BLUE. First thing I said was "WHY is my hair blue???" and she tried to say that is was because of the pink, but I stopped her and said the pink has nothing to do with the blonde and it being BLUE. So my hair is about 4 different colors, including blue, green, pink, and purple, and yellow. I'm your neighborhood troll doll, or my niece likes to say a unicorn. The girl doing my hair said she did not agree with the color blend the lead picked, but she couldn't go against him because he was her boss. I got up, paid the tab and left. They asked if I wanted to speak to the lead and I said no.

There was nothing more they could do, my hair was already breaking off because it was fried. I did not want to speak anyone.

So my advice is, if you want some highlights or something, they're great. Maybe a nice hair cut, SUREEE but if you want something fun and exciting, NOPE. Now my hair is fried and I have to get special treatments done to repair it, and I can't even dye it to not look like a unicorn for at least a couple weeks. I will not go back to them, I will no longer be recommending them, and I will tell everyone I know wanting some color to go anywhere BUT here.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I have been going to Paul Mitchell. The school for the past couple of years I have here during my few last visit I came across a manager called Tarik. I went in for a highlight and color retouch and he was advising my hair stylist as to what colors to match. At the end of my color treatment my hair turned green. Another manager came in and helped out by trying to wash the green off and resolve with a different product. I had burning sensation for weeks but did not say anything as it was not the stylist fault but the manager! That said instead of being apologetic he just kept telling me not to put oil on my hair when I go home.

I had several other visits after that whereas I try to avoid having him as the advising manager. Not only he is not professional and knows his work but he also is very rude and lack customer service. One day when I was driving to get to the salon and there was an accident in front of me I contacted the salon to let them know I will be about 4 to 5 minutes late. You would think that after that had happened to me they would accommodate that! Instead the person who picked up the phone passed it to Tarik and I told him I will probably be no more than five minutes late as I had already been driving for 40 minutes from Bethesda.

His response was, "Absolutely not. If you are even one minute past the hour we won’t take you." He said this in a very rude manner too! If you are in a customer service area you need to respect your customers and accommodate them not to turn them back. Tarik either needs training or should find another job because according to many of his students he is not nice to them either and speaks in a disrespectful tone.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Teachers are negative and unhelpful. I wish I would have gone to GCI but I didn't listen to others. You are basically paying for the name if you go here. If you have the same teachers, you will have to deal with attitude (from them), negative communication, favoritism, and possibly regret of paying to go to school at a place you dislike and are treated horribly. I have never really experienced a teacher that hates her job so much she complains to the students, who work very hard to pay and go get skincare education. I am trying to help others so they don't make the same mistake I did! Equipment is sometimes broken and never fixed, and marketing is never published for the esthetics services and teachers push students to get clients for them. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND.

Paul Mitchell School author review by ConsumerAffairs

As a big name in the beauty industry, it is no surprise that Paul Mitchell also turns out 14,000 qualified graduates each year.

• Comprehensive programs: They offer everything from full cosmetology to barbering or even teacher training.

• Locations all over: There are more than 100 U.S. locations for you to choose from.

• Accreditation: Paul Mitchell Schools are accredited by the NACCAS and COE and they are recognized by the Department of Education.

• Location specific websites: Find out which programs are available at the locations nearest you, with individual websites devoted to each of their locations.

• Online tuition calculator: Find out about costs before wasting any time on applications or admissions.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team