Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.57/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

University of Atlanta Reviews

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I studied with University of Atlanta and graduated in 2013 at doctoral level. During my studies, I had fantastic communications with my lecturers including administrative staff. The Director of Studies, Ms Glenda ** was very helpful. Mr. ** too was very helpful as well, and host of others. In terms of accreditation, the university was accredited by DEAC and approved by Georgia State Department. Please read their history before writing nonsense here. So I am wondering what nonsense you guys are writing or talking about here? I paid my fees and receipts were issued.

I believe if you had problems for not graduating or something happened with your admissions or whatever, you were apparently not ready to study or thought you would have received a degree without working hard for it. So, please do not believe what lies these people have put up here. They are people who failed their courses and could not graduate, hence they started writing rubbish, or may not even be legitimate students or legitimate ex-students.

Today, the university is closed, but you can get your transcripts from Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission (NPED) if you were a former student, duly graduated. All you need to do is to quote your student number, SSN (if you have social security number) and make a $10 payment, complete the necessary forms, your transcript would be sent to you or the person making the request by NPED after about 2-4 weeks. Can an illegitimate university get approval from the government? Can the government issue transcripts on behalf of graduated students of University of Atlanta if it was an illegitimate or unauthorized university? Please stop writing stupid things here. Dr John **

Original review: June 5, 2019

I have a doctorate degree that I received after completing a legitimate master's degree from a university accredited by the Regional Higher Learning Commission in the United States, which governs university programs and certifications in the United States. I learned this painfully after being scammed by Barrington University/ University of Atlanta. If the university you wish to go to has courses, degrees or programs that ARE NOT ACCREDITED by the Higher Learning Commission in the United States, the credits and course work will not be accepted by legitimate American universities. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Barrington University offered a degree in E-Commerce, and boasted having a campus in Tokyo, Japan. Happy to see an American university while living in Japan, I enrolled. I was hassled to pay fees, etc. right away. So, I paid about $3500 on my credit card and didn't get a professional response or guidance about the next steps. Later, with no sense of urgency, the university sent me a document packet with a course outline and guidelines. I was surprised that there were no recommended course textbooks/resources, etc. given how innovative and changing the field of E-Commerce is. Only after calling and pressuring Lara did the university reluctantly provide some E-Commerce textbooks for their 'all-inclusive' course/program 'free of charge' (nothing is free if you're paying for it).

Bottom line. I submitted the course material packet/homework/report and did a two week internship at a local company. For this I received a shiny new Barrington University MBA diploma in E-Commerce. My next (legitimate) university would not accept the credits/course work from Barrington University. Instead of moving on toward a doctorate degree, I had to complete a master's degree at a legitimate university for thousands more dollars.

To add insult to injury, I learned that Barrington folded and later rebranded and continues to scam learners. What good is a diploma from a university that closes? Barrington University, and University of Atlanta diplomas are worthless. Buyer beware!!!! BTW, I keep my framed Barrington University E-Commerce MBA diploma on the wall with my legitimate diplomas... It's a painful $3500 reminder not to be fooled by other predatory companies. Do some research before investing your money.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

I've been with this uni for almost a year now. They don't reply, they never gave me my grades... I doubt I will ever receive a degree from them!! LIARS... LIARS... SCAMMERS. Please don't give them your money! I'm soooo tired of dealing with them. It's hopeless!

Original review: July 3, 2015

I registered for a course via online university. They hurried me to pay the registrations fees and now when I attempt to access the 'university resources' it says that my registration is incomplete. They have not replied to any emails I have sent, they remain completely unreachable by phone. I have spent money that I would have otherwise spent on a credible university at home. This is why I do not trust international universities. I would rather see it than believe that online degrees work. If you want to spare yourself the heartache of losing money, DO NOT APPLY HERE!!! IT IS A SCAM. I know I will never get back that money. I hope you do not have to lose it.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Hi. Got enrolled in University and suddenly University stopped responding the emails or phone calls. I sent many emails and called many times but ph calls are being answered by phone services. I'm lucky I have not paid much but I like to take my refund or get me my access.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Atlanta?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

Barrington university is now Iverson Business School in Atlanta GA, and it is still the same situation. When the students graduate from the school, they cannot find another school to continue their education, without starting all over. The claim is if you do not finish your program, and try to go somewhere else, then you cannot use those credits either. Students are starting the school without GED and or a HS diploma, and told that they have to have it by the completion of the program. Then, a week into the program, they are removed, saying they need to have either their GED or diploma, yet they remain on the roster for weeks, as if still in attendance. Students are asking where there money is going, and they are not being answered. There is no account for "misc" on the list of money paid to the school.

Students cannot transfer to other programs without starting all over. Students are being charged, when they are no longer in attendance. Students are disgruntled and frustrated, and don't know where else to go for help' and the staff are getting in trouble for trying to help the students in any way.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2011

I graduate from Barrington University, now is close. No have information about the univeristy;

Original review: Oct. 22, 2009

I had a trust account that was only to pay for an accredited college or university and now I am finding out I took 3 years of classes and spent over $5000 dollars to find out that this wasn't even a real college? I want my money back.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2009

I enrolled with Barrington in 2002 and have e-mails from their personnel and my advisor Lara indicating they were accredited in the United States, the same as any other University. I completed half of my coursework and found out that they are in fact, not accredited in the US. I lost over $3,000 after tuition and books paid by my employer, that I had to pay back when it was learned that they were not accredited.

Original review: July 21, 2008

Barrington University offers course instruction for varying degrees to both undergraduate and graduate students. The complaints I have read about this university are mostly unwarranted. As a student, I received individualized attention from my professors and had on-going correspondence with each of them. Similar to other virtual-learning degree programs, Barrington requires students to be self-motivated and persistent in their actions. I felt Barrington's curriculum provided me with ample instruction and course content. When compared to in-state degree curriculum, Barrington's course content is similar in form. The virtual learning environment, whether at Barrington or any other university, is not a medium for students who are not self-motivated and expect the university to provide something for nothing. I would recommend Barrington University, if not for a degree than at least for personal enrichment.

University of Atlanta Company Information