Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.30/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Everest Institute Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2016

I graduated in medical assisting as one of the top in my class. I was promised work in the medical assisting field, it was literally explain to me interacting with patients in a medical setting. As a administrative assistant to a corporate company I was offered a job answering phones & only phones for a criminal lab. Then told it went to another student & not me, without an explanation to why. After that I called every week for 4 months, left multiple messages informing them that I have not been provided with assistance with work placement. Then tried to complain, but could only get transferred to voicemails & never get a callback.

Finally in 2012 the closest I got was a medical office assistant job (nothing to do with my medical education) then left to move out of state hoping for better opportunities in 2013 and been unemployed ever since with employers informing me with the same issue. "We are looking for medical assistants with certification" which Everest had told me "wasn't needed but you can if you want to, it's up to you to get it on your own". They never explained to me how. It's 2016 & to this day I'm still confused on what I can do to better my situation.

I don't know how much longer I can dodge my loan collectors. As everyone knows you can't tell them that. There’s no sympathy from their end. They just want their money any way they can get it, and now not later. All involved in this lawsuit are lucky you’re getting compensated in some way. Because some of us aren't getting -Jack-... And yes I feel like a complete moron for falling for this scam, but they make it so easy to qualify and sign up, they do all the paperwork. When you’re a full time student with a full-time job in the wrong place at the wrong time, what can I say.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I attended Everest in 2009 for massage therapy. Loved my teachers and classmates but when the 9 month class was over, I tried to get the credits transferred to KVCC they informed me that they will not recognize them at an accredited school. Later when paying the one loan of $1200 off found 11 more loans of infuriatingly different prices ranging from $183 to $9986 all in one month. I am still trying to fight the loans and am being garnished for them in the process. According to a credit site that 9 month class cost me $96,469.

Original review: March 18, 2016

I began Everest College online in 2007. I was 19 and didn't really know a thing about college except I needed a college degree. Once I got on the phone with Everest they made all kinds of promises and they never once lived up to them. I was with this company for 4 years because my credits would not transfer. I am now over 74000 dollars in debt with nothing to show for it. I cannot pay off the student loans. They did not care about me as a student. Some of the teachers were horrible. One semester for my report writing class I had an instructor that was from the Middle Eastern area. My report topic happened to be the war in Iraq at the time. He would not answer my emails and would not grade my work, and ended up failing me without even talking to me.

I had so many problems with this school. If I it to do over I would never have even bothered with school. I am now trying to find a way to get my student loans under control because I was terribly overcharged. Everest has basically ruined my life. Because of the student loans and the way they were set up, and the extra charges they took out and everything, my credit has been ruined.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

I want to start off by saying that most people submitting comments on this page need to first review themselves and the choices they made PRIOR to submitting negative reviews about Everest University. I do not think that it is fair for people to place blame on Everest for personal mistakes and lack of ambition or commitment to higher education. I graduated Everest University, Lakeland campus in 2004 with my Associate of Science Degree in Medical Assisting. I maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout the entire program and excelled in my externship opportunity that was arranged for me through Everest. While in enrolled in school, I was a single mother, worked full-time, and cared for my father whom had cancer. Upon completion of my externship, I was offered employment with the facility, as a Medical Assistant.

Sure, the pay was not fantastic nor enough to pay off my student loans; however, I was employed in the field and now had a chance to work my way up in the healthcare industry. I spent two years working in this facility, gaining valuable knowledge which helped in securing employment as an Allied Health Instructor and Mental Health Manager.

I decided to go back to Everest University to pursue my Bachelor of Business Management degree in 2008. Life threw some curve balls at me which affected my continued enrollment; however, I have since re-enrolled and have one term left until completion of this degree. My academic advisor has been excellent through my enrollment, assisting me in all avenues of forward success. She contacts me on a steady basis to ensure that things are going well. FA has explained everything to me, stayed on top of my requirements, and even assisted me in applying for grants (since I am capped out on Federal loans). The faculty and staff that I have contact with are awesome!

Since I am already employed in the Management field, I have chosen not to participate in the Career Services assistance; however, the department has offered assistance in reviewing my resume and providing me with job leads. Just to set the record straight - it is not the job of anyone in Career Services to GET YOU A JOB. The department can assist you in finding opportunities that are available, create a resume, and even mock-interview; however, it is up to you to GET THE JOB that you went to school for. The Everest University CS representative is there for assistance and support. They are not there to do everything for you - after all, they will not be your "tag-along" at work, so you should learn how to be independent and capable enough to search and apply for jobs on your own.

Lastly, every school costs money. If you do not like to amount of money that you are being charged for tuition, books, and etc. then you should not have signed up for school in the first place. You should have conducted your own research, including price comparison of your program of interest. You made the decision to sign the deal - you should have also read through the paperwork that you were signing.

So, I leave you with this tip: You are responsible for your own actions and your own future. Do not put that responsibility on others whom are only there to assist. Take action on what you want and take responsibility for what you have chosen to do. Grow up and act mature because the negative actions that you have all portrayed on these comments are probably the main reason you are not employed in your field of study or complete with your degree at another college.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

When I at school at Everest I had a hard time with home life. I went to get a better life. When I came to Everest I was promised all sorts of things but when I in there things changed. I started to notice attitudes changed as soon as got in. Like with my books I had to have teachers sometimes come down with. I had a hard time getting books and I paid. At times couldn't go to class and I would have the receipt to show that I had paid and still had a hard time getting back into class. It's like they didn't want me there anymore.

But it started to get worst when I had to drop out because I would get sick a lot because I would be so stressed out. My home wasn't great so when I would go to school I thought to myself oh well since that I am back in school that, it would be easier, but it wasn't. I would get told that "oh you're about to get dropped." A lot messiness with just a lot of mess when tried to do externship. I got dropped and the only thing that have to do is my externship and they're also giving me a hard time with that also. So I have tried to contact them to see if I could still do my externship and still nothing so what am I suppose to do if they don't let me do it and they told me that I have to go through them and I paid my money to go to school so I give this school a big F.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Everest Institute?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2016

I enrolled at Everest Online 05/26/2015 for Business pursuing my Associates Degree. My plans were to continue my adult education until I earned my Masters Degree in Business Management. July 2015, I received a email from Everest Financial Aid to sign a few forms to remit back. I did the next day. Financial Aid intentionally sent the wrong forms and went back and forth with me for my entire enrollment about dropping me from school because of a mistake made on the school's behalf. After 7 months of school, I was dropped. I stay pretty busy with my business and 2 days ago, I checked my Everest account and noticed Pell Grant refunds at least 3 times and a few more refunds. My entire school term, I never received the amount left from funding at all. I'm reporting Everest to the Department of Education.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

I also registered, enrolled, and attended Everest University Online in the year of 2009. I attended four semesters as a part-time student before realizing that I was getting nowhere fast. I was not aware of the fees that I was being charged until after I decided to withdraw from their institution. My personal information should not have been used by their Financial Aid Department for the college convenience. I have a $24,000 bill due to Everest University and not one Account Statement from Everest to show what I was being charged per semester.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I went to this "school" back in 2009/2010 only to have $5000 in student loans I can't pay. They don't teach you anything. The "diploma" I received is not valid for a job. I can't transfer my credits to a reputable college. And now at 24 yrs old I have to start all over.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I decided to change careers after being a Nanny for over 20 years. I had been to the school to check it out about 18 months before actually signing up. I went in for the initial appointment and had a chance to go over some paperwork, take a tour and ask a few questions. My main concern was that I had been out of school for many years and I wanted to be assured about how and who taught the classes. I was told that Medical Billing and Coding was very much in demand because without coders, the doctors would not get paid! It was mentioned several times that if I ever needed any help to just ask and they would be there to assist me in any way possible. I chose to go to Everest instead of a 2 year program at a community college because of the time needed.

Everest would allow me to attend full time and be done in 10 months and I was able to make arrangements through the employment department with the TUI Program. If not for this program, I would have not been able to attend since I lived in Scio Oregon and the school was in Tigard Oregon. This meant driving 2 hours a day 4 days a week for nearly a year. I went through each Mod, passing with a 4.0 and graduating with the top of my class, repeatedly being on the President's list, and walking proudly up on the stage to receive my Certification in Medical Billing and Coding.

Little did I know that all the work that I have put in, late nights of studying, and moments of wanting to give up were just the beginning. I recall during classes how we would be told over and over again that after we graduated that we could not become a couch potato and to look for at least 3 employment opportunities a week. We were also required to finish 500 hours with an externship that the school would set us up with.

Toward the end of school, we grazed through the dental parts because we were looking in the Medical Field like doctors offices. I was placed at the last minute at a dental office in Salem that previous students had been placed at that was not a good experience for anyone. And I had found out afterwards that the only reason I was put there was because the school had a time limit to have me finish and that was the only place they could find for me. That was the worst experience ever. The manager treated me like dirt beneath her fingernails. I was just glad to be done and never have to return ever again. Patients complained of how harsh the assistants were during the exams and yet I could not do anything to help them. I had to make sure to finish this externship in order to graduate.

So after that, my resume needed a little changing and I had made arrangements with career services to get the job that I had worked so hard for. I heard so many times that I should send them a list of all the places that I had applied to so that if they knew anyone that worked there, they would be able to connect with people and get a foot in the door. My thought was, why don't you give me a list of the places where you know people work at and I will go apply there! The career services would send out a list of places for us to apply to and they were the same places that I have already found on my own such as jobs on Craigslist! Are you kidding me??? I was on every website that I could get my hands on. This is what they call career services? This had to be a bad joke.

I was told by one place that what I was taught at Everest was not what the company needed me to know. It was said many times that I had to have at least 6 months to a year experience in an office setting before I would be considered for any position in billing and coding. So how was I going to get any experience if no one would hire me, and no one would hire me without experience! I quickly realized that I was now in worst shape than I was before I decided to change careers which was the scariest thing I had ever done.

It is now at the end of 2015 and I still have no job, no income, and a lot of school debt. I kept my end of the deal by getting the highest grade possible and Everest has given me nothing but headaches, bills I cannot pay, panic attacks beyond my comprehension, and no light at the end of a very dark and miserable existence. So what do I want out of this? I want my debt cleared, my loans forgiven, my credit rating to be fixed, funds given that I would have earned had Everest kept their promises and monetary relief given to my family for being there for me when no one else was. That would be a start.

We carted around a suitcase of many books that we never even used and yet paid for. I pulled a muscle in my arm trying to get the suitcase in my front seat which I didn't have insurance to see a doctor about. I am very angry that I have been put through such turmoil and stress and this whole experience has left me with no trust in others, so self-esteem to venture forward and a debt that feels like a mountain of pressure on my shoulders. Everest should not be allowed to get away with such poor practices. They should pay much like I have now for over 4 years of high stress, no income and uncertainty of what to do next to resolve such issues.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2015

I was excited to do a changed in my life with Everest. I believed their lies. Considering that in 08 I was placed on SSDI. So I thought that I could get off SSDI and still be able to something I enjoyed. Criminal Justice, Interrogation and investigation. I was told that for the two years I went to school it would cost no more than $10,000 to $15,000 dollars. My thought "WOW, that is a lot for doing schooling online," but the rep said they had to send books to participate in classes. Ok, I know school books are expensive because I am a retired Aesthetician from the local community college. But hey I was investing in my education that is good, ha.

So I started in 11/30/09, I did the little online class about loans and signing a note. Everest said that I would have to do that every year, okay no biggie. They said the first loan would be $9,000 dollars (but it was for the whole year) when in reality it was $9,500 (I have proof). Ok that is high but for the whole year, ok. Then in 10 they did a loan for what they said was $4,000 dollars, yeah no ($9,000). I said okay this was the year I would be graduating, then I can start paying back the loans cause they said they would help with job placement, ha yeah right.

Then came the excuses, you’re not registered, we lost your paper work (4 times), we haven't received any payments yet. Boy I thought I was absentminded. The end of the semester came and I was told that I failed the classes I took. What? How is that? I attended, I did homework. There is no record of me attending. Wait, What? I copied the questions and the homework before I sent it in and it was dated. Everest said they will check into it. I will still need to retake the classes and I can take a new class now and retake one of the classes I "failed." Ok I guess. “Would I need to take out any more loans?” “No we can got it covered.” Loans I didn't realize they had taken out cause I was never informed.

This is 2011 loans - 3/28/11 $500.00, 4/8/11 $6,496.00, 12/21/11 $3,566.00. Then I received a letter stating that there was going to be a tuition increase to $4,000. Wait are you kidding me. During this time I some health issues and kept my instructors up to date on everything. They said “no biggie, just keep turning in homework and you're good.” I thought okay they didn't ask for a doctor's note but got it just in case. When I called to see if I passed the student services was excited and said yes I did, and “remember to enroll for the next classes, you’re so close to finishing and then you graduate.” Ok great. What a lie.

Went online to enroll, “you have to repeat the classes.” WHAT the DUCK. “You said I passed.” "Oh sorry we never said." WHAT YOU SORRY PIECE OF POOP. Student services was starting to know me by voice and name. I was po, student services said they would sign me up for some electives after this. Are you kidding me. But I was desperate, I didn't want to be on SSDI, so I took more classes. I asked if I was full time student why was I only taking two classes a semester. “Oh you have never been a full time student.” Okay, what is the balance of my loans, and why have I not received any information on who my lender is and where and how I can make payments. Reply I received “I have no idea. I don't have access to that kind of information, but I can see. Okay here is my number and email.”

Then 2012 loans, 5/21/12 $6,000.00, 6/11/12 $4,500.00, 12/27/12 $4,500.00, 12/27/12 $3,482.00, and then in Feb. 2013 medical and family issues I had to just drop out. Kept calling Everest to see what I had to do. After about 3 months of calling every other day and even leaving voice mails their reply was "everything has been taken care of, hope you get better and settle the family issues. We would love to have you back and you have about 17 hours left till you graduate.”

Wait what after all the classes that I have taken and the $18,000.00 dollar loans I still have that many hours, are you kidding me? Do I sound and look like an idiot (yeah, I was). They still did a loan for that 2/23/13 $1,000.00. I finally received all the financial aid info after I had to drop, but still nothing on the amount of my loans and where I can make payments. Hell I still thought that it was only the $18,000.00 but when I finally got information from Navient, six months that payments were to be made, I saw all the loans that had been taken out a total of $56,000.00. Then found out that Everest was and had been being investigated by the government, but I never heard about it.

Just today, I see that all Corinthian, Everest and other schools had shut down in April of this year. I found some sites that might help with discharging the loans so you might want to check these sites out, studentaid.gov - look for income-driven repayment plans for federal student loans. ** - this is a form from the department of education that you can fill out and send them. Make sure to print off the reviews from here and anything that states that Everest shut down and any lawsuit information so that you can send it in with the paperwork to show that they have been having problems.

Also copy any and all paperwork that you received from Everest during and after going to school there because it will help them decide if your loans can be discharge for fraud. Note that Navient said there have been a lot, lot, lot of complaints about Everest University. I still receive stuff on my loans but until coming to this site I had no idea of what to do or where to turn. Discharging of my loans is my biggest thing. Also check with your states district attorney's office to see if there is a civil lawsuit pending or not.

Everest Institute Company Information