Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
1.30/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Everest Institute Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

I had been attending Everest University in Florida and transferred to Everest College here in Colorado Springs in the year of 2010. They told me in Orlando, FL that the credits were transferable and that I had enough to transfer to Colorado Springs. When I had arrived to Colorado Springs and applied through Everest College they told me that my Medical Administrative Assistant courses from Florida is non transferable and that I need to start the program ALL OVER AGAIN and this time it will be a 9 month program. So I thought to myself okay I have done a year and a half including CPR for no reason and wasting time and money on a same course which I could have graduated a lot sooner.

So I proceeded to just take the 9 months course cause I needed to pursue a career on the healthcare field. I also asked the financial aid advisor once I complete everything I can have these credits transferred to show the other University I have completed right? The lady said, "Yes!!! You can have these transfer into the University that you will be attending to to have credit taken off." I asked also about certification and licensing so I can have as an Medical Assistant she said they provide these courses as well.

Now remind you after I graduated in April 2011 I have not yet received any PAPERWORK that says which testing center to go to for an AMAA OR AMT certification course whatsoever!!! I was highly upset because as soon as I completed my internship and applied to doctors office even hospitals I could not get hired due to the fact I was not certified and Everest University, Everest College and Everest Institute was NOT RECOGNIZED!!!

When I attended CTU (Colorado Technical University) I told them I completed courses at Everest College. They told me the credits for my courses are NON TRANSFERABLE and that Everest was one of the schools that’s on the list of non accredited schools that is not recognized! I was beyond livid!!! I couldn’t even finish my courses through CTI because Everest has done took so much money towards my student loans and has applied towards courses that I have taken already and that I was almost at a $40,000 threshold against my student loans ALONE!!

When I called last year to verify and get all my transcripts from them and a copy of my diploma (which I have my diploma handy with me) I needed extra copies of what I completed and obtained from Everest upon my graduation with them, they said they were UNABLE to LOCATE my information in their system as to where it’s seems like I have NEVER attended there! So I was fed up! I had to make a complaint through the Borrowers Defense program through Fedloans Servicing department and they are investigating at this moment!! I was beyond livid they make us sign a bounded contract but don’t even included specifics on what is and what nots! This is an outrage and I will be pursuing a lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

If I could give this school no stars I would! I completed the medical billing and coding program in 2010. I have never been able to use my certificate and now my taxes have been taken to pay back student loans that I have been fighting to be forgiven. This school is a scam and a fraud! Stay far away.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Worst College Ever. I hate this school and I'm super pissed and wish they all go to hell and get shut down 100%. They have messed up my life. How are you going to tell me one price and then jump all the way up to $82,000+ for a 2-year associates degree in Accounting. They are taking all my taxes and now they are taking my entire paycheck from the only part-time job I got. Now who is going to help me and my family which I got a kid to feed and my bills to pay in order for me to live and survive. Bunch of lying frauds. IF I COULD GIVE YOU 0 STARS, I WOULD!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I started going to Everest online back in 2009-2010 school year. I went for Medical Billing and Coding. I went for almost 3 years but when I signed up they told me 1200 for the program. I am very angry with the fact that I find out that I couldn't even finish the program because they got rid of it! And now they are charging me 40,000!!! That is ridiculous! For 2 yr program that they got rid of before I even finish! And now I am in a bind because they are garnishing my taxes every year. They already have the past two years. Which was a total of almost 20,000. But STILL they are saying I owe 40,000. That makes no sense! I want my two years of taxes refunded back to me because I am being ripped off and they are scamming me!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

My city, Naples, FL was hit by hurricane Irma. I did not have power, internet service, nor telephone service for almost two weeks. Altierus, which is the name of Everest now, ended up dismissing me from the college. I did fill out a academic appeal form that was approved. However, they fail to explain that once you submit the form, you have to attend class on that same day. This was an unfair ruling.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Everest Institute?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I went to Everest University online and completed them both. I did get the Associate’s Diploma in the mail back in 2014 but when I graduated from my Bachelor’s degree program in 2016 I never received my diploma in the mail. I called graduate services I remember 5 times and they said they would re-mail it to me. Here we are a year and 4 months later and I still don't have what they promised me. What should I do about this? I did complete the program.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

My name is Valerie ** and I attended Everest Institute in Austin TX. I took weekend classes for Medical Administrative Assistant. Couldn't even tell you who the teacher was because we didn't have a stable one. I remember even attending on a day and no teacher was there at all. They would have another teacher from another department come and check on us. Can't remember much of what I learned because we really weren't shown much. Well go figure we didn't have a teacher.

Crazy that all that money they want but can't even teach you nothing. Yea I got a book and basically tried to go over it myself and I feel like my grades weren't even real. We could just get to class sign in and leave. It's like we were really just given a grade because we showed up. I hate that I now have to pay back $13,000 + for what? Not to even be working in this field. So here I am again trying to attend school to get a degree. I took this route because hey 9 months didn't sound too bad for a single mom and weekends only. But not everything that sounds good is good. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR YOUR MONEY.

Original review: July 28, 2016

I chose to attend Everest Online in August of 2014 for an Associate degree in Business Management. I had completed 1 full year (2 semesters) and was started on my third semester and in the middle of an Accounting class when access was shut off with no warning. Prior to that happening, I had received a letter saying that some of the college campuses owned by Corinthian were being closed, but that the online colleges would not be affected and it would be business as usual. It was extremely frustrating because there was no way to make contact to find out the future status on the online campus.

Before the college closed I was carrying a 3.80 GPA, had been on the President's List 3 times and had received certificates for each time. I never received any money from my student loans and should have but they were evidently charging me fees for room and board even though I was an online student. It took almost a month after the school was closed for me to receive my transcripts. I finally found another college to attend but the curriculum was not the same, so I was not sure I had any usable credits that would transfer. I got lucky and some of them did.

So for those students saying that Everest was not an accredited school, that is totally false. I actually prefer the way Everest had their online courses set up to the way my new college does it, how they provided actual books for the courses free, and a laptop for use with the courses and the teachers on the whole were much better at their jobs. I was also one of the lucky ones who had their student loan fees wiped completely off the records. I was able to start fresh with my new school, which is much cheaper.

However, I received a call a few months ago from a bill collector for Everest saying that I owed the school money, about $300 and demanded that I pay the balance immediately. I advised them they would not be seeing a dime from me, because they actually owed me money due to the financial aid credit they had not passed on to me as required by law. I advised them they needed to send me a detailed bill showing how they came up with the amount they say I owe, and they told me I would receive something within 7-10 days. Needless to say, I have not heard from them since, either by phone or mail. So I figure that Everest was trying to continue with the fraud connected to the reason they had been shut down for.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I got married in 2004. I work construction which is not a stable business to be in which was fine for a single man, but I desired more. I got a call from (Back then it was Florida Metropolitan University... Everest bought them) salesperson. She told me, "You will make more money by going to college". I told her I was making 40,000 a year. She said, "You will make more than that by getting this education".

I did everything. I was told I would only have to be in school for 2 years, which turned into almost 3 years because "you need just a few more credits... Now you need a half a credit" and was told I would not have to pay until after graduation but was asked to start paying so I did start paying. I sent 2 payments of $167 and never received any receipt that I was paying them. I stopped paying and they started harassing me to pay them. I told them to send me a receipt and they kept saying "We do not send receipts" so I said NO RECEIPT, NO PAY. I never got a diploma.

The account was purchased by SAF which pays off the account for pennies on the dollar and now SAF claims that I now owe over 40,000 because it has collected interests and penalties. The jobs for the education I do not have a diploma for start at $8 to 10 an hour and are NOT paying more than I make in construction. I was lied to. I have no diploma, I was harassed, scammed, and now with "interest and penalties" the amount has tripled. Nothing but a total scam.

Original review: May 28, 2016

Now before I bash this school I do want to say that my instructor and classmates were great, but this Institute was a waste of time and it really was a waste of money. I attended this school hoping to regain my confidence and to get somewhere in life. I lost all confidence in school since my future was taken from me in a previous incident, but I had to get off my **. I was looking to get into the medical field as my mother suggested because it was a growing field and thought why not be my own M.A. So I enrolled, but seeing that I couldn't do it alone I needed to have a cosigner and my mother did that for me. It was all praises when I entered in the building for registration and everything they informed me of. I was guaranteed assistance with finding and landing a job I was told. I mean sounds like a dream come true coming from where I've been, I needed this pick me up so I enrolled.

Student ambassador and graduated with a 4.0 gpa was an awesome feeling, a feeling of accomplishment. And then it was time to find a job, and that's when everything turned for the worst. I'm not sure if this school knew of my background history but I did ask before signing up would it affect my chances of getting a job and I was told no. I have a class a misdemeanor for trespassing so I figured it wasn't like I did a huge crime like murder or something in that matter. Well turns out I couldn't get a job period because of my background. I attended this damn school in 2010 of November and had my graduation held back until February 2012. It is 2016 and the rules still apply for me.

It's one thing if you know people in the industry you're going for but me on the other hand I wasn't looking for a hand out. I wanted to show exactly why I was an ambassador of my class and why my gpa was high. I was never given that chance, well only during externship. And even then I was battling those from other institutions for the same position. I've been discriminated against because of my sexual preference and let go because I wasn't able to make it in one day due to my grandfather being rushed to the er for the removal of his toes. But honestly this school has literally given me nightmares, and I don't want sympathy but I still cry at times because I know my worth and working a 9-5 in fastfood was far from my agenda of a career goal.

I now have to pay this damn loan that I honestly believe I shouldn't since I was s robbed of my future. If they knew my background existed then being in the medical field should've given them the red flag for someone like me. I recently tried for a CNA license but I asked the administrator if it was worth me even getting into the program (with another school of course) and she told me with my background it's literally not worth the fuss. It sucks because I'm not a criminal. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time such as Everest. If I could go back I would have never chosen to waste my time to this school knowing what I know now.

My mom's wages are currently being garnished since I can't keep up with the payments because I'm literally poor money wise. I hate people who feed on those who are desperate to make a change. I'm not saying everyone didn't make a career, just those I know who had inside connections. I still keep in touch with classmates who still haven't found anything to do with the career path we chose to study. I've found a website that'll let me fight this loan since I attended around the time they falsified what they could do. Please if you decide you want to go to school make sure you know exactly what you're getting into. Or you'll end up in debt like me, wages garnished like my mom and credit score down. I'm looking into legal matters in this because I feel as if I was bamboozled and ripped off. Everest you didn't even do me a favor but I plan on fighting this.

Everest Institute expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With a focus on career-based learning, Everest Institute is the overall name for the brand that includes other colleges like Heald College, Bryman College, Ashmead College and many others.

• Variety of degree programs: While many colleges offer one or two degrees through their distance learning programs, Everest Institute has several options in fields like business administration, accounting, healthcare, legal and IT.

• Hands-on career training: Translate classroom knowledge to the real world with hands-on training in a job setting.

• Quality instructors: Professors through Everest Institute have used their degrees in career fields, giving them insight into the pain points of future potential employers.

• Multiple campuses: More than 60 locations and a broad range of online courses give students a lot of flexibility about where they will take classes.

• Career placement office: Go from the classroom to a direct entry career using the on-campus Career Placement Office.

• Best for: New grads and promotion/job seekers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs