3.66/5
Based on 503 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

The College Network

With The College Network, you can earn college credit without going to class. Our Comprehensive Learning Module program will assist with obtaining credits through various well-known exams. The college credits you obtain can be applied to the Excelsior College associate degree in nursing program.

763 The College Network Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I purchased from College Network five prerequisite courses to be able to apply to the transition from LVN to BSN program. I was told that I could work at my own pace. I did test out of one course, which I have no record of, and now I hear that they are out of business. I financed this program, with interest, for over 3 years. Has anyone had success with a refund or lawsuit?

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had a fellow classmate that wanted me to meet with TCN representative so I did. I was fresh out of Nursing School and wanted to start my transition to RN without having to sit in a classroom again for any length of time. I felt like this option would be perfect. I could still work, I could still speed time with my newborn, I could do it at my pace. I was assured that there was NO time limit that I had to meet to finish my degree. It sounded great!

I got my first module and began studying. Slowly but surely I discovered that I needed the accountability of a classroom setting. I called the representative that I met with, he urged me to give it another chance and again assured me that this was at my pace. Needless to say it didn't work. I got frustrated and stopped working. Payments continued to come out, I tried to stop payments but was contacted non stop by the bank, so I paid it off. This was 10 years ago, and I STILL have nothing to show. This place is a huge scam and if I was you, I'd run the other way as fast as you can.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have read several of the complaints. And I agree with all of them. I sign up and got ripped off. I know everyone want their money back. I know I do. Seems like a lot of these schools have found a way to ripped people off. I suggest we all join together and sue College Network. Furthermore let State Board know what they are creating ripped off scam. Not only these types of school but junior colleges that have unqualified instructors that make it difficult to pass their classes. I refuse to cheat. These are people lives that I am dealing with it. I want to hold these instructors accountable for their actions.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I signed up for the LVN to BSN in San Diego in 2010 and paid off the first stage of the program in full totaling over $12,000.00. My spouse suffered a brain injury in 2012 and I have had to put the program on hold but TCN assured me I could resume my studies when I am ready. I have now been informed by TCN that they no longer offer the LVN to BSN program in California. I requested a refund as I am no longer able to receive the product I purchased from them but a supervisor stated to me over the phone that it is against TCN policy to grant refunds and my only option is to take one of their other course of which I am not interested. I have found an attorney in San Diego (Hannah **) who won a lawsuit against TCN in 2016 for a former College Network client.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I signed up with The College Network on 4/22/2010, the agent I spoke with promised to send me the study material which I did not receive, however they submitted my paperwork and started to collect money from my account monthly through the credit union. After numerous attempts and still being unable to get any result I stopped the payment, (after almost two 2 years). The credit union sold the loan to another institution, now they are taking me to court for the balance on the account. I have not been able to work since 2013, I'm on a fixed income from my social security. I need help with this problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The College Network?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

This place ripped me off, I signed up for the RN program, could never log in to any programs, talked to people there but never got any help, my doctor had me drop out because of health issues, but during this I kept paying, by the time they let me drop it, I had paid over 2,000 for nothing, I was also suppose to have 50 in an account that I could get back but of course they couldn't find it, how can these people get by with this, I worked hard for money that was stolen from me, how can we get our money from these creeps?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I was given similar treatment by this organization. I signed on many years ago but had to stop for a while due to other pressing issues. Back in 2016, I received an email requesting that I contact them regarding some important changes to their program. Months later I called and was told that I had to pay for my own books to continue the program as they would no longer be provided. When asked how do I find the books I was told search; online, and used bookstores. I asked if there would be an adjustment to the monies I paid into the program (by this time I had completely satisfied all payments), and was quoted a script from the contract on how they reserve the right to make changes to the program without consequence more or less...

Well needless to say this escalated, as just like many of you I don't have almost $6500 + dollars to just give someone, and turn around and invest even more, by having to go on a witch hunt for books. Like some of you I complained to the BBB, as well as Pinellas County Consumer Protection, and the Office of the Arizona Attorney General, Civil Litigation Division, Consumer Protection & Advocacy Section Consumer Information & Complaints (IN-STATE ONLY) (800) 352-8431. All advising upfront that they cannot represent me in this civil matter, but could inquire, and mitigate to see if a resolution in compromise could be reached.

Honestly, this business has been in this situation "I BELIEVE" as the Director of Operations continued to tell me that If I want to do anything against them it would have to be in the courts there in Pinellas County Florida, and by the time I win, I will have spent more getting there, filing paperwork, lodging, meals, etc. And if that was not enough, she also added, that if I hired an attorney by the time the attorney takes his fees, I would be left with half of what I paid for the program. I asked myself; How could she possibly know this...and post talking with an attorney friend, who said they are in the wrong, but the Director of Operations was right ref post attorney fees. So as you can see, just like you...I felt stuck and continued to search around and eventually caught a break!

I happen to subscribe to the Florida Attorney General, Pam Bondi newsletter, read up on a group within the Attorney General's office that would take a closer look at things, especially for veterans. So I say to you all don't give up, reach out File your Complaints to: Florida Attorney General Office, Consumer Protection Division. I have been informed by one of the Financial Investigators that the more complaints they receive, the greater the chances of a formal investigation. So please join me in letting the Attorney General's Office know that within her Great State of Florida lies and business that especially thrives on taking your money and how you were treated!!! After all it's your money, they took it, and you might get it back!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I wish there was 'ZERO' to rate this money sucking company. I don't know how anyone that works for this company sleeps at night. Scamming new graduates of LPN programs. I fell for their trap and 4 years later I am still paying on a 12% loan and have ZERO to show for it. They tell you complete their modules, take an exam through Excelsior and get college credit to apply towards the LPN to BSN, RN at Indiana State University. They tell you that your "tuition" includes the cost of the exams you take at Excelsior, that is a LIE. I am paying for 15 modules and if I want take the exam for each subject I have to pay another $300-$400 for EACH EXAM!!! DON'T TRUST THESE LEECHES. THEY WILL CAUSE NOTHING BUT DEBT.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I would not recommend ANYONE signing up for thousands of dollars for this company. They are going after hard working nurses to sell everyone a dream of completing the LPN-RN without hassle. I applied in 2013 and when I realized how much everything was and that the online classes are not for me I canceled everything. I was told it would take a few days. I never took any of the classes or tests and then in 2015 I received a letter that it went in collection and they were trying to sue me. Ridiculous!!! They want me to pay 10,000 for classes I never took. I don't know about everyone else but I'm not rich to give anyone my hard working money for nothing especially when it's to benefit some scam of a "business". Save your money and go to a campus college or a known college with online courses.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I had a horrible experience with the College Network. The lady came into my home should of been a BIG warning! She was basically a sales rep that offered numerous case studies and modules that I could access when I enrolled in the program from LPN to RN. It was all false, I ended paying more and I could not access all items mentioned up above until I dish out more money. I called to cancelled my subscription with them permanently. Then I received a call from a collection agency stating that I now owe them money or else they will sue me. Worst customer service to help me solve my issues with them too.

Original review: April 19, 2017

When I signed on to The College Network 5 or 6 years ago, a man came to my house and sold me on the LPN to RN program. I signed on the dotted line and planned to start my journey. He did not have a welcome packet with him (which now looking back I should have said no right there. If you know you are going to meet with someone you would think you would be prepared). But I said ok. Never received it. Never ever was even able to log on to my account. So now years later after paying about 6 grand, and stopping payment on the rest I am being threatened with a garnishment. I have put in for a request for a hearing. What a waste of money that was. LESSON LEARNED!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

Guys this school is a total 100% rip off. I signed up for the school didn't finish and now owe $6,000 which they garnish $550 out of pay each month. I was in the LPN to RN program. Went for half a module and six years later they are garnishing $550 out of my paychecks each month. They had me sign some sketchy contract so I couldn't fight it.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I just paid off my $12,000 loan. I have NOTHING to show for it. I met with a salesman at a local Panera and listened to his sales pitch. He REALLY wanted me to sign up then. I told him I'd have to think about it. I called the school back a few months later and he no longer worked there. A very nice lady came to my home and we went over everything. In her sales pitch I questioned whether her program was a college accredited program (not understanding the entire concept of the college network at that time). I was ASSURED it was. Looking back, I don't think the lady even understood what that meant. I THOUGHT I WAS IN AN ONLINE COLLEGE not a college PREP program!! I realized this a week after signing and when I called the company I was told, "You had only 3 days to cancel the contract." Here I am 4 years later, $12,000 poorer and still an LPN. Does anyone know if we have any recourse??

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

The College Network has been a horrible experience for me. I paid all my fee's including tests, but the program just wasn't right for me. I asked for a refund for the tests since I would not be doing them. They refused to return my test money $275 per test with 12 test left. That's a lot of money we could use. They offered me a lifetime credit for me or my family which no one in my family needs. This program is nothing but a scam! I paid so much money for a product I don't want anymore and they won't give it back. That's pretty much stealing. Don't use this program. The cost is ridiculous and once you sign the contract you are stuck - no refunds. I wasted so much money. I just can't believe how gullible I was to fall for their pitch. Trust me it's a big waste of money you will never get back.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I paid loans to College Network over 2 years. Tested with them then they changed all the criteria while I was still testing and told me there was an entire NEW set of criteria and I'd need to reapply. ARE YOU SERIOUS? They wouldn't refund my money stating I'd "signed a contract" to pay. They have a seemingly professional group of admission advisers but this program is a SCAM! So is Excelsior with their CPNE! It's tough to digest but there simply is not a valid ONLINE ONLY program out there. Look into hybrids, or a program with at least some sort of in class session once a week. SAVE YOUR MONEY, don't be fooled. If it seems too good to be true it is. Don't be in my boat. I've lost $4000 to College Network but no more, never again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

This program is a total scam!! DO NOT DO IT!!! I was told when I signed up I would complete my classes online through the college network, and then go on to ISU. I could take as long as I needed with my classes... This was a LIE and is not true at all. Now when you look up The College Network it says permanently closed... So where is this 10,000 getting me now? NOT ANYWHERE. It sounded great... But it was too good to be true!! Don't trust it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

I have been trying to communicate with this company ever since I found out that the course they recommended to take ISU online nursing program do accept the courses and ISU do have a partnership with TCN. I left 2 email messages and no response have been. I have been trying to get some clarity on the courses and test prep material I need and have receive little to no feedback. They are still try to bill me for no services received. I'm getting some legal help! This is a bunch of BS! Now I found out that they have law suits against them!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Like most other Consumer Affairs post about The College Network, I too cannot get exam checks, cannot speak with a live person and get no email response to multiple emails. I have 4 exams left to graduation and although exams fees are part of my contract, I have to pay for them on my own otherwise I won't make my graduation deadline date. Don't be fooled by this company. Not sure how I'm going to get my money back.

Original review: July 23, 2016

This place is a complete utter ripoff. I've been working on my degree for the last 4 years and I was informed that the state of California will not allow TCN students to take the boards. I was told they lost their contract with Sonoma and Indiana State. I asked her, "Where does this leave me?" I paid in full. I was basically told I'm screwed. I paid over $10,000 and I have nothing except the closet of books that are useless. The representative told me I have a lifetime agreement with them. I said, "What does that mean?" "You have 3 options. You can use it for a different degree or you can transfer what you have paid over to family member" or I can use it for a bachelor's degree later. I told her I have to start all over again. Most community colleges do not accept CLEP exam or Dante as credits. I don't have that kind of money to be transferring $10,000 towards another family members education when I need mine. Please I need help.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I was approached by a TCN employee who sold me this program. Being desperate to have my BSN in Nursing to keep my present position I was gullible. After several attempts I realize I could not do this home study program. Then after 6 months I tried to get out of the contract and I was told I am responsible for paying the entire $10,000.00 dollars. I have paid over $5,000.00 already and feel so ashamed, disappointed, and invaded just like being "raped". Shame on me for not reading those fine print. I stopped paying my monthly installment and would now go to collections. I have also filed a complaint with the BBB already. Please all out there don't fall into this trap.

Original review: June 24, 2016

Please be aware of this company and DO NOT sign up with them for your nursing EXAM. As everyone here has explained they DO NOT send you the exam fee check on time or maybe never send it to you. There is no response from the accounting dept. No one care. They just give you an email, no one answer. I do not recommend this institution. They do take your payment on time but never sends you the requires exam fee check on time. Just send you to an email acs@Collegenetwork.com. NO answers received. It is a terrible situation. One as a student working and trying to pay bill, and not being able to receive any check to finish the school. Be aware. It is horrible service with the student's money. There is no respect.

Original review: June 2, 2016

In short, The College Network stole my money. I worked very hard on all my theory courses, desperate to earn a BSN (LVN to BSN). I got 6 "A's" and 1 "B" (in classes like microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology, Patho, etc.) while working full time. When I was ready to start my clinicals, I was told that Sonoma State (who had "partnered" to oversee the clinical portion of the program with Indiana State) had pulled out of the program. Hence, the LVN to BSN program is no longer accredited in the state of California.

I wrote a letter to the TCN review board amicably requesting that I be excused from the remaining portion of the loan (not asking for a refund though the classes/exam credit I had received was worthless). TCN REFUSED. This means I am continuing to pay for something that doesn't even exist. It is very difficult to advance from LVN to BSN status, especially in the state of California. It was a devastating and traumatic experience. All the time, money, and energy, I spent- away from my family, with my face in a book for 3 years, trying to better myself and my family's life in good faith, just to have all of the above (not to mention my hopes and dreams of the past 22 years that I have worked as an LVN). Furthermore, I can't afford to attempt to start another program until this debt is paid. Please, don't let this happen to you.

Original review: May 25, 2016

I have been paying College Network since 2012 and I am no closer to my RN than when I started. The material I received in hard copy did not match the web version, I could have enrolled directly through Excelsior but I was led to believe I had to go through College Network. I was encouraged to finance my testing fees with my "educational loan" but now I am unable to request these fees because I didn't complete the online tests. I have previously requested to be released from this contract but this request was denied (January 2015) and I continued to pay for another whole year without getting any benefit for my money.

In reading all of the poor reviews on this website and many others I really have to wonder what agency governs this type of business and why they are STILL in business. I want no money back, not even the test fees, I just want to be released from the remainder of my contract and I want something for my credit report stating the debt is satisfied. I read so many reviews and I feel as though I am reading about my own nightmare experience. I get daily e-mails and texts since I stopped payment on the Southeast Financial monthly withdrawal and my credit is being ruined. I think it is just awful what this company has done and is continuing to do to so many people who are just trying to better themselves.

I am writing to them again and I am sending copies of my correspondence to the Attorney General of Indiana, the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Fraud Division for the state of NJ. College Network is one reason why in this country, the rich are getting richer and the poor/middle class are remaining stagnant, they should be ashamed of themselves. The additional information I have discovered about the owner of College Network also having connections to collection agencies who ultimately pursue consumers who stop paying, tells me that the owners/officers of College Network are ONLY in this to profit. There is no concern whatsoever for the consumer trying to better themselves. I am just disgusted!

Original review: May 17, 2016

Back in 2009, I was a LPN aspiring to become a RN and signed with The College Network for furthering my education. The school advisor drove over 2 hours to make sign some paperwork and never heard of him afterwards. I never got any support from the school nor that I took any class from them. Now in 2016, I received a letter from my job about a week ago announcing that after receiving a court order from this school they will start garnishing wage until the debt is completed. Today I was looking at my paystub and see that they are withdrawing $800.63, and this is for just one pay period. I see online through different website that I am not the only one getting scammed by those people but I desperately need help as I am a mother of 4 children and currently in school for my masters in nursing. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Original review: May 5, 2016

I signed up to complete my pre-requisite courses through TCN. I was told that as soon as I had completed the courses, I would be able to start the next session with Indiana State University. I WAS NOT TOLD THAT I WOULD HAVE TO APPLY AND THERE WAS NO AUTOMATIC ADMITTANCE, as I was told by the representative from TCN. The formatting of the classes is not conducive to learning and passing the classes. I had two classes I signed up for and completed one class. I am requesting to be released from payment from the second class since I will not start the class due to TCN's poor educational formatting and their MISLEADING students. They refuse to release me from a class I won't be taking. How is this good for business to take people's money for services that will not be used? How can they can away with this?

Original review: April 26, 2016

I signed up with The College Network a few years ago. The rep that came to my home said graduating through Excelsior college would be a breeze. I signed that contract which included exam fees in which I would get refunded when I was ready to take an exam. While I was signing, I even asked "So this is ALL the money I will have to spend to get my degree, minus the clinical fee right?" She said "yup!" which leads me to my first complaint: I was never told I had to register with Excelsior and pay them the yearly tuition fee. I was misled by thinking they were affiliated with each other. My second complaint: The study materials I was provided with for my exams were not sufficient in receiving a decent grade. Luckily, I skimmed by with a C on most of my exams. About 25% of the exam questions were never covered in the study materials.

Third complaint: It took many months to get my exam fee checks sent to me. I was promised, by that rep, that a check would be sent to me in just a couple weeks after my request. Now this is exactly why I signed up for the "prepaid" exam fees. This was one way I didn't have to come up with the few hundred dollars when I wanted to test. Well, guess what? I had to anyway! The checks never showed and I was losing everything I learned while waiting. I had no choice but to come up with the money just so I could test! At one point, I was ahead of them by three exams.

Last complaint: The last exam fee I requested was about a year ago. I was ready to take my last exam. I have yet to receive that money. I used to call them inquiring about the checks but they would just tell me their accounting dept was behind a bit but my check was being processed. Then my calls started to go directly to voicemail. About four months ago, I left a detailed voicemail requesting my exam fee check that has been "processing" for about seven months. I did receive a callback a few days later. Unfortunately, I was at work so they left a message saying my check would be in the mail by the next weekend. Well, about 16 weekends have gone by and no check. When I call now, you can't even leave a message. You are directed to email. So I email. Surprise! No response.

I am extremely disappointed with The College Network for the four reasons I have stated above. I would NOT recommend them to anybody! I have remained good on my end of the contract by paying my monthly payments. They need to make good on their part. The only good thing that came out of this is that I'm satisfied with Excelsior College and will hopefully be graduating through them within the next couple months. Again, they are NOT affiliated with The College Network.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I do not recommend these people to anyone. Had enrolled in a BSN program just after one of my many deployments. Then they lost their accreditation in California. I contacted them for a refund in Feb of 2015 and am still waiting. Had made contact with their customer service dept who referred me to the accounting dept who does not answer their emails and their voicemail just refers you to their email for contact. I know of a few more military members here in California that have the same problem with them. I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau and have contacted the JAG.

Original review: March 29, 2016

When I signed up with these creeps I canceled in the three stinking days they gave me after I researched and they are not affiliated with indiana or excelsior colleges. I called. The cancellation went through. I recently received a call saying I owe 11,000+$. Good luck trying to find me creeps.

Original review: March 3, 2016

I am currently in the LPN to RN program with The College Network/Excelsior. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this school to anyone. I have had nothing but problems with getting my reimbursement checks sent to me and there is absolutely NO COMMUNICATION. I have tried and will keep trying, to get in contact with the accounting department until my money is sent to me. I am taking legal action on them because I have been waiting since December 2014, for my reimbursement check to be mailed to me.

I have tried calling, which gets me nowhere since the phone numbers I have been given, and even searched for, just send me to an automated message telling me to email them any "accounting questions" to acs@collegenetwork.com. I have been emailing them since January, every single day, sometimes multiple times a day, with no response. This is completely unacceptable. I am beyond fed up with their lack of responsibility, lack of communication, and lack of help with this matter. This is why I will be taking legal action. I do not recommend this school to anyone! THIS IS A JOKE OF A SCHOOL. I AM JUST LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING FINISHED WITH THEM AND SAYING "BYE FELICIA!" TO THEM!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

Today is February 5, 2016. I requested my check for my next test in July 2015. I have emailed and called and have yet to get a call back from ANYONE from the college. Don't sign up with them. You'll end up losing your money.

The College Network expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The College Network partners with universities and colleges to offer a streamlined path to a degree. Since 1992, they have been an educational partner giving students the opportunity to earn a degree from a respected college.

• Degree programs: The College Network offers several healthcare related bachelor's degree programs and professional degrees through their university partners.

• Certification programs available: In addition to their degree programs, The College Network offers a range of certification programs and continuing education credits.

• Not a college: The College Network is NOT a college. They do not directly award degrees. Instead, they offer a variety of equivalency based credit options that transfer to one of their partner universities.

• Online only: Take courses when and where it is convenient for you, without the need to commute to a campus.

• 24-months to a degree: With a test based approach to learning, students who pursue a bachelor's through The College Network might complete a degree in as little as 24 months.

• Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

The College Network Company Information

1992
Formerly Named:
Collegiate Publishing Research Network (CPRN)
3815 River Crossing Parkway Suite 260
Indianapolis
IN
www.collegenetwork.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business